Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Chart of the day: What happened in the Batley & Spen constituency at the May 2019 Euro elections – p

Comments

• MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,603
    isam said:

Ah my unvaccinated, pregnant girlfriend will be relishing her return to work at a 100% Muslim populated school in London on Monday

“ Palestine Freedom March in London near Israel Embassy #FreePalestine #Palestine #israel #ifd #Gaza_Under_Attack #Gaza”

https://twitter.com/maxsultanmax/status/1393569839646707713?s=21

She should speak to her doctor, afaik the advice has changed here and pregnant women are now recommended Pfizer or Moderna as a priority group.
  • CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

ydoethur said:

ping said:

@ydoethur

Israel’s been trying to empty Gaza of people for fifteen years.

I’m just having a horrible suspicion that they’re about to try a more direct way.

Flatten all the housing - what becomes of the people?

—-

I feel so sorry for they ordinary Gazans

Governed by Hamas dickheads, bombed by right wing Israeli dickheads.

Must be a bloody miserable existence.

It’s barely an existence at all.

What the hell happens to them now I have no idea. Those buildings won’t be rebuilt. Israel won’t let the concrete in. They were making bricks out of furnace cinders even before this. Their water supply is unusable. Their food is limited. Their rulers are complete lunatics, Bin Laden without the charm.

And Egypt won’t let them in.
    Which is ironic as of course Israel took the land off Egypt.

There is an argument to be had that no Palestinian state will ever work and that the people and land should be returned to Egypt and Jordan, which of course is who Israel seized it from.

But they don't want that headache!
    In Jordan Palestinians live in the camps because they are not allowed to work legally and if they leave the camps they are no longer classed as refugees and are therefore destitute

I had breakfast with a Lebanese friend of mine on Thursday - he’s just hired a brilliant young scientist to work for him in Beirut. She was stunned that any Christian would hire a Palestinian (she still lives in a camp).

The incentives are all fucked up
  • FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    kinabalu said:

Charles said:

Talking of jabs , I had my second one today and I noticed that all the bays for people to be seated were numbered to 20 but there was no bay 13. I asked why not and was told that there were too many superstitious people. And no 13 bay had had to be removed as people would not sit in it... Jeez.....

Lots of hotels don’t have floor number 13 (they obviously have a thirteenth floor). There is a measurable difference in room changes and suicides…
    Apparently flying on a Friday 13th is great. Cheaper fares and lots of empty seats.
    My wife freaked out a bit when she found out our new build is going to be number 13......
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 47,786
    Westminster voting intention:

CON: 44% (+2)
    LAB: 31% (-6)
    LDEM: 8% (+1)
    GRN: 7% (+3)

via @OpiniumResearch, 13 - 14 May
    Chgs. w/ 30 Apr

https://twitter.com/britainelects/status/1393642817487052805
  • GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,072
    Floater said:

kinabalu said:

Charles said:

Talking of jabs , I had my second one today and I noticed that all the bays for people to be seated were numbered to 20 but there was no bay 13. I asked why not and was told that there were too many superstitious people. And no 13 bay had had to be removed as people would not sit in it... Jeez.....

Lots of hotels don’t have floor number 13 (they obviously have a thirteenth floor). There is a measurable difference in room changes and suicides…
    Apparently flying on a Friday 13th is great. Cheaper fares and lots of empty seats.
    My wife freaked out a bit when she found out our new build is going to be number 13......
    Give it a name instead: "not number 13"
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

algarkirk said:

ping said:

@ydoethur

I’m just having a horrible suspicion that they’re about to try a more direct way.

—-

Must be a bloody miserable existence. Most prisons would give a better quality of life.

Is there a party which supports the good people on both sides and opposes the bad people on both sides? Do they hold demonstrations?
    I'm not sure what people expect Israel to do in these circumstances.

The Iron Dome isn't infallible. If they do nothing, the people who are getting their property and lives destroyed by Hamas rockets are going to be spitting bullets, so they have to respond.

It's an awful situation but Israel is just doing what any western nation would do in the same circumstances. In fact, we did the same in Northern Ireland.
    Which would be a fair comment - had the Israeli government not started the demonstrations by going with a highly illegal land grab. Again.

Actions have consequences.
    Yeah — the consequences are that the Hamas reaction gets buildings in Gaza blown to bits.

Hamas rockets are not going to stop Israeli settlements. All Hamas are doing are sacrificing lives of those in Gaza in a PR campaign.

Reminder that a 2 state solution was offered and rejected by Palestine.
    Hamas only want one state.

And they don’t care who gets hurt or killed it trying to achieve it.
    Actually they do care.

Their charter calls for the elimination of the Jewish race from the world
  • DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,059
    Chris said:

DougSeal said:

Chris said:

DougSeal said:

If 20,000 (or even close to that) infections arrived in the country in that period, given this variant's R0 is estimated to be as high as 7 (I think it more likely to be 5 or 6 but what do I know) then that would be showing up far more clearly in the case figures by now.

No, you're way out. You've misunderstood the post you were replying to. That is the number of possibly (i.e. potentially) infected arrivals. The actual number of known infections with the Indian variant in travellers is in the public domain. 250 between 5 January and 21 April.

However, that stupendous number of 20,000 arrivals - given that according to the report I quoted they may have had as many as 300,000 contacts after entering the UK - is just more evidence that we are still repeating the same mistakes that were made a year ago, despite everything that's happened since then.
    The point I was making is that the Sunday Times headline was deliberately misleading in that respect.
    Well, the post you were quoting said "Over 20,000 possibly infected passengers were allowed to enter Britain while Boris Johnson delayed imposing a travel ban from India"

And you responded with "If 20,000 (or even close to that) infections arrived in the country in that period, given this variant's R0 is estimated to be as high as 7 (I think it more likely to be 5 or 6 but what do I know) then that would be showing up far more clearly in the case figures by now."

[my emphasis all round]

It certainly looked as though you got it wrong. But if you were just trying to make a point by appearing to get it wrong, you'd better thank me for giving you the opportunity of explaining!
    An implication of the ST headline (and Leon’s post) was that it was possible that 20,000 people infected with C19 had been let in to the country as a result of the delay. My reply pointed out that while possible it was stupendously unlikely.
  • JBriskin3JBriskin3 Posts: 1,254

Chgs. w/ 30 Apr

Lazy, sleazy Lab and LD (but not Green) on the slide.
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274

Chgs. w/ 30 Apr

Starmer must be pulling his hair out, they fire all this incoming at Boris, and the result is Labour vote share falling to absolute floor.
    JBriskin3 said:

Chgs. w/ 30 Apr

Lazy, sleazy Lab and LD (but not Green) on the slide.
    Green SURGE
    Jeezus

https://twitter.com/Elad_Si/status/1393636598600904708

Zionists control the media, they issue hate laws to take away our free speech. Oh, and they did 9/11 as well.

At the march today I believe
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,052
    tlg86 said:

isam said:

Looks like Hamza Choudry and Wesley Fofana of Leicester celebrated by parading the Palestinian flag around Wembley!

Good job they weren’t facing Spurs today!
    Next Sunday, I will be there...

Not sure about Choudhury (born Loughborough, father from Bangladesh, mother from Dominica) but Fofana is quite devout. He was fasting in Ramadan while playing and delivering food to the homeless on Eid this week.
  • BluestBlueBluestBlue Posts: 4,556

Chgs. w/ 30 Apr

All right, all right, I won't say it... :smile:
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,766
    Charles said:

I always find it curious that American Airlines doesn't have a row 13 on its planes but does have a flight AA13. (And I assume the same is true of BA.)

I mean, I can imagine that a particular *flight* is unlucky...
    So predictable
  • isamisam Posts: 40,725
    Quincel said:

Andy_JS said:

isam said:

I have said consistently, VAR offside should be like the cricket. You can appeal and it is a ref / umpire call if its toenail stuff.

All VAR should be on a 30 second timer, and if they cant tell by then, it wasn't a clear and obvious error and the refs decision stands

How can it be clear and obvious it it takes someone looking at magnified images 3 mins to tell?
    If all the players had a tracking device on their shirts you might be able to get an instant answer as to whether someone was offside or not, which could be relayed to the referee without delay.
    Surely you would need to know where their most goal-side point was, not just a random point of their shirt?
    The offside rule as invented to stop forwards literally standing next to the oppo keeper. The obsession with was he a mm off or whatever is redundant really, it shouldnt matter, and the advantage should always go with the attacker.

I also think the rules on penalties should be changed. The reward of a penalty far outweighs the goalscoring opportunity denied in a majority of cases, quite a big majority I think.

I would say refs should be able to award free kicks in the pen area, and penalties for offences (professional fouls) that occur outside the area. Rename the pen area the Keepers area, as it only exists to show where its ok for them to handle it

Good article on this here

https://theathletic.com/2522571/2021/04/23/modern-penalties-and-why-defenders-should-avoid-all-contact-in-corners-of-the-area/?source=emp_shared_article
  • OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,688

Floater said:

kinabalu said:

Charles said:

I thought I'd look up why 13 was unlucky following the discussion. No really obvious explanation, and it seems to be lucky in France and Italy.

Anyway @Floater, it turns out that in number theory it's also a 'happy number', so perhaps that'll cheer your good lady.
  • BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,273
    Quincel said:

Andy_JS said:

isam said:

I have said consistently, VAR offside should be like the cricket. You can appeal and it is a ref / umpire call if its toenail stuff.

All VAR should be on a 30 second timer, and if they cant tell by then, it wasn't a clear and obvious error and the refs decision stands

How can it be clear and obvious it it takes someone looking at magnified images 3 mins to tell?
    If all the players had a tracking device on their shirts you might be able to get an instant answer as to whether someone was offside or not, which could be relayed to the referee without delay.
    Surely you would need to know where their most goal-side point was, not just a random point of their shirt?
    Don't the GPS tracking vests have a tracker on the sternum? If all players have that it would be a fair measure of who was goalside.

Chgs. w/ 30 Apr

Where is our Mexican friend? :smiley:
    MaxPB said:

isam said:

Ah my unvaccinated, pregnant girlfriend will be relishing her return to work at a 100% Muslim populated school in London on Monday

“ Palestine Freedom March in London near Israel Embassy #FreePalestine #Palestine #israel #ifd #Gaza_Under_Attack #Gaza”

She should speak to her doctor, afaik the advice has changed here and pregnant women are now recommended Pfizer or Moderna as a priority group.
    She has a high risk of blood clots I think. Suffers from terrible migraines (even before she met me) I am pretty sure she wouldnt have the jab until the baby is born. Finishes work in mid June anyway
    Omnium said:

Floater said:

kinabalu said:

Charles said:

I thought I'd look up why 13 was unlucky following the discussion. No really obvious explanation, and it seems to be lucky in France and Italy.

Anyway @Floater, it turns out that in number theory it's also a 'happy number', so perhaps that'll cheer your good lady.
    I will report back :smiley:
  • ChrisChris Posts: 11,009
    DougSeal said:

Chris said:

DougSeal said:

Chris said:

DougSeal said:

If 20,000 (or even close to that) infections arrived in the country in that period, given this variant's R0 is estimated to be as high as 7 (I think it more likely to be 5 or 6 but what do I know) then that would be showing up far more clearly in the case figures by now.

No, you're way out. You've misunderstood the post you were replying to. That is the number of possibly (i.e. potentially) infected arrivals. The actual number of known infections with the Indian variant in travellers is in the public domain. 250 between 5 January and 21 April.

However, that stupendous number of 20,000 arrivals - given that according to the report I quoted they may have had as many as 300,000 contacts after entering the UK - is just more evidence that we are still repeating the same mistakes that were made a year ago, despite everything that's happened since then.
    The point I was making is that the Sunday Times headline was deliberately misleading in that respect.
    Well, the post you were quoting said "Over 20,000 possibly infected passengers were allowed to enter Britain while Boris Johnson delayed imposing a travel ban from India"

And you responded with "If 20,000 (or even close to that) infections arrived in the country in that period, given this variant's R0 is estimated to be as high as 7 (I think it more likely to be 5 or 6 but what do I know) then that would be showing up far more clearly in the case figures by now."

[my emphasis all round]

It certainly looked as though you got it wrong. But if you were just trying to make a point by appearing to get it wrong, you'd better thank me for giving you the opportunity of explaining!
    An implication of the ST headline (and Leon’s post) was that it was possible that 20,000 people infected with C19 had been let in to the country as a result of the delay. My reply pointed out that while possible it was stupendously unlikely.
    The 20,000 people were all "possibly infected". That's not at all the same as saying there's any realistic possibility that all 20,000 of them were infected.

Come on. You just misunderstood. We all make mistakes.

Chgs. w/ 30 Apr

"Opinium were, of course, the most accurate pollster at the last couple of Elections"
  • RobDRobD Posts: 58,941

Chgs. w/ 30 Apr

Crossover incoming?
    Chris said:

DougSeal said:

Chris said:

DougSeal said:

Chris said:

DougSeal said:

[my emphasis all round]

The 20,000 people were all "possibly infected". That's not at all the same as saying there's any realistic possibility that all 20,000 of them were infected.

Whatever floats your boat.

Floater said:

kinabalu said:

Charles said:

How easy is it to do that ( i think I might earn loads of brownie points here..... )
  • squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,287

Chgs. w/ 30 Apr

Can't be blamed as an outlier now....
    RobD said:

Chgs. w/ 30 Apr

Crossover incoming?
    With the Lib Dems or the greens? ** innocent face**
    MaxPB said:

On Israel vs Hamas (and that's what this is, it's not Israel vs Palestine as certain people would like to characterise it) - Hamas are using Palestinian civilians as human shields for their campaign of violence against the state of Israel. Israel has been left with few good choices, it either doesn't retaliate in which case it's open season on Israeli citizens or it bombs Hamas sites which have been strategically placed by Hamas to cause maximum civilian casualties.

The responsibility of all these civilians deaths lies with Hamas. They have used the people of Palestine as human shields. The Arab world tolerates and encourages this by Hamas because they know it makes Israel look bad. None of them give a fuck about Palestinian civilians, they're all just collateral damage in their never ending war with the very idea and foundation of Israel as a nation.

As ever - you nailed it
  • RobDRobD Posts: 58,941
    DougSeal said:

Chris said:

DougSeal said:

Chris said:

DougSeal said:

Chris said:

DougSeal said:

[my emphasis all round]

The bold underlines weren’t enough to make you understand his point? ;)
  • felixfelix Posts: 15,122
    isam said:

Chgs. w/ 30 Apr

"Opinium were, of course, the most accurate pollster at the last couple of Elections"
    I wnder who said that ? :smile:

Chgs. w/ 30 Apr

“ The movements we saw in our last poll for the two main party leaders (positive news for Keir Starmer, negative for Boris Johnson) have gone into reverse this week. Johnson’s approval has gone from 37% to 43% while disapproval has gone from 43% to 37%. Keir Starmer has seen a sharp reversal, falling from net +8% (38% approving, 30% disapproving) to net -11% (28% approve, 39% disapprove), his worst approval rating with Opinium since becoming Labour leader.

Similarly, after almost closing the gap with Johnson on the best prime minister question (32% Johnson, 29% Starmer), this week the Labour leader has fallen below “none of these”. 40% choose Boris Johnson vs. 23% for Keir Starmer and 24% for “none of these”.”

https://www.opinium.com/resource-center/uk-voting-intention-14th-may-2021/
  • another_richardanother_richard Posts: 24,967
    PB nostalgia time.

At this stage of the 2010-15 parliament Labour had just won the local elections by 6% and was leading by over 10% in the opinion polls:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinion_polling_for_the_2015_United_Kingdom_general_election_(2010–2012)#2012

EICIPM
    Palestinian militants in the Gaza Strip have fired 278 rockets into Israel since 07:00 local time (04:00 GMT) on Saturday, the Israel Defense Forces (IDF) say.

Forty of those rockets failed to launch properly and landed inside Gaza, according to a statement.

PB nostalgia time.

At this stage of the 2010-15 parliament Labour had just won the local elections by 6% and was leading by over 10% in the opinion polls:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinion_polling_for_the_2015_United_Kingdom_general_election_(2010–2012)#2012

EICIPM

Who doesn't love a bit of PB nostalgia?

If memory serves me correctly Swing-back theory was published here before 2010 and has since become mainstream.
    isam said:

Congrats! Didn’t realise you had #2 en route
    Charles said:

isam said:

Congrats! Didn’t realise you had #2 en route
    Somebodies been busy during lockdown...
    RobD said:

DougSeal said:

Chris said:

DougSeal said:

Chris said:

DougSeal said:

Chris said:

DougSeal said:

[my emphasis all round]

The bold underlines weren’t enough to make you understand his point? ;)
    I’m an intellectual midget amongst the titans of the PB board.
    Crossover could be between Sir Keir and Angela Rayner.Would Rayner do any worse?
    The full Opinium report

In short, the public currently think Sir Keir is weak, unable to get things done, doesn’t look like a PM in waiting, & isn’t in touch with normal people.

And they blame him more than the party in general for last weeks results

https://www.opinium.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/05/Opinium-Political-Report-13th-May-2021.pdf
  • pingping Posts: 3,724
    edited May 2021
    Anyone else watching the worlds worst game show on bbc 1?

“I can see your voice”

It’s the first time I’ve watched non-sport/news on the bbc in ages.

Everything about it is awful!
  • noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,451

PB nostalgia time.

EICIPM

At the 2010 GE, BNP got more votes than the Greens or SNP! Also more votes than they did in all other GEs before and after combined.
  • Cocky_cockneyCocky_cockney Posts: 760
    What a lot of nonsense about this Indian variant. Pure scaremongering drivel. We have to trust our vaccines. They really DO work and we have vaccinated the most vulnerable.

All dystopian regimes have FEAR at their heart, as portrayed in such fiction as Brave New World, Animal Farm and A Handmaid's Tale and in real life in the likes of China and African dictatorships such as Mugabe and Mobutu.

When the reason for the fear is gone the fear lives on. It's how they rule.

Don't yield to this nonsense. The most vulnerable through vaccines and the rest through age have little to fear now.
    ping said:

“I can see your voice”

Try channel328 Sky.. Talking Pictures.. superb channel.
  • Cocky_cockneyCocky_cockney Posts: 760
    edited May 2021
    Meanwhile I see that the Telegraph is reporting on that Opinium poll that Boris would win a 122 seat majority.
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,766
    Andy_JS said:

isam said:

All the players do have tracking devices...

However, the issue is that offside is determined by their extremities, not by the centre of their chest.
  • MightyAlexMightyAlex Posts: 1,410
    MaxPB said:

On Israel vs Hamas (and that's what this is, it's not Israel vs Palestine as certain people would like to characterise it) - Hamas are using Palestinian civilians as human shields for their campaign of violence against the state of Israel. Israel has been left with few good choices, it either doesn't retaliate in which case it's open season on Israeli citizens or it bombs Hamas sites which have been strategically placed by Hamas to cause maximum civilian casualties.

The responsibility of all these civilians deaths lies with Hamas. They have used the people of Palestine as human shields. The Arab world tolerates and encourages this by Hamas because they know it makes Israel look bad. None of them give a fuck about Palestinian civilians, they're all just collateral damage in their never ending war with the very idea and foundation of Israel as a nation.

Brilliant m8.

Now could you precis all the other ongoing conflicts so I'll know exactly where to find a glib catch-all.
    Floater said:

Charles said:

ping said:

@ydoethur

—-

Must be a bloody miserable existence. Most prisons would give a better quality of life.

They elected the hamas dickheads
    I'm sure they can vote them out ...
    They have a very effective welfare state. And the opposition seems to wind up dead
  • borisatsunborisatsun Posts: 188
    So..

What's the usual delay between a humungously massive scandal like the wallpaper, or the holiday, hitting the news, getting in voters' minds, changing how those voters respond in opinion polls..

Oh, not yet. Ok
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,748
    edited May 2021

PB nostalgia time.

EICIPM

At the 2010 GE, BNP got more votes than the Greens or SNP! Also more votes than they did in all other GEs before and after combined.
    Surely not!
    I’d heard that Griffin’s appearance on Question Time eight months previously was the death knell for the BNP.
    rcs1000 said:

Andy_JS said:

isam said:

All the players do have tracking devices...

However, the issue is that offside is determined by their extremities, not by the centre of their chest.
    In the spirit of the original law, that wouldn’t matter a bit. Players should be allowed to be a yard offside.
    Omnium said:

Floater said:

kinabalu said:

Charles said:

Friday 13 is unlucky because on that day in 1307 the French king arrested the Templars

ping said:

“I can see your voice”

Some great obscure films and shows on there.

Has anyone here read ‘Sometimes a Great Notion’? By the author of ‘One flew over the cuckoos Nest’

What a lot of nonsense about this Indian variant. Pure scaremongering drivel. We have to trust our vaccines. They really DO work and we have vaccinated the most vulnerable.

All dystopian regimes have FEAR at their heart, as portrayed in such fiction as Brave New World, Animal Farm and A Handmaid's Tale and in real life in the likes of China and African dictatorships such as Mugabe and Mobutu.

When the reason for the fear is gone the fear lives on. It's how they rule.

Don't yield to this nonsense. The most vulnerable through vaccines and the rest through age have little to fear now.

The Indian varient?

Oh you mean the Vindaflu......

Oh is that my coat ? :blush:
  • felixfelix Posts: 15,122
    isam said:

Chgs. w/ 30 Apr

I wnder who said that ? :smile:
    isam said:

Chgs. w/ 30 Apr

“ The movements we saw in our last poll for the two main party leaders (positive news for Keir Starmer, negative for Boris Johnson) have gone into reverse this week. Johnson’s approval has gone from 37% to 43% while disapproval has gone from 43% to 37%. Keir Starmer has seen a sharp reversal, falling from net +8% (38% approving, 30% disapproving) to net -11% (28% approve, 39% disapprove), his worst approval rating with Opinium since becoming Labour leader.

Similarly, after almost closing the gap with Johnson on the best prime minister question (32% Johnson, 29% Starmer), this week the Labour leader has fallen below “none of these”. 40% choose Boris Johnson vs. 23% for Keir Starmer and 24% for “none of these”.”

https://www.opinium.com/resource-center/uk-voting-intention-14th-may-2021/
    So 'none of these' beat Starmer for PM. Way to go Labour!
  • MattWMattW Posts: 18,080
    edited May 2021
    On the demolished 'media bulding' here is a video clip filmed there when the presenter realises that 2 rockets have just been fired from their building. I'd welcome a comment from anyone who can do verbal Arabic (as I assume it is), as the tweeter is not a Hamas supporter.

1/ This old Al-Arabiya video has a TV presenter in a studio in al-Shoroq Tower that was just destroyed in the center of #Gaza City, realizing that the missile that was just launched, came from right under them in the same building!

https://twitter.com/imshin/status/1392519380773257217

edited May 2021
    Charles said:

Omnium said:

Floater said:

kinabalu said:

Charles said:

Friday 13 is unlucky because on that day in 1307 the French king arrested the Templars
    Maybe that's really Friday 2nd now though as there were 11 days that went missing in the calendar switch.

Edit: sorry, wrong way, Friday 24th
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,835
    ping said:

“I can see your voice”

It’s the first time I’ve watched non-sport/news on the bbc in ages.

Yes. Isn't it terrific? Favourite show of the week.
    For all the reasons you describe and many, many more.
    isam said:

ping said:

“I can see your voice”

Has anyone here read ‘Sometimes a Great Notion’? By the author of ‘One flew over the cuckoos Nest’
    Wiki wiki tells me that the author you are referring to is Ken Kessey. To answer your question; No.

Meanwhile I see that the Telegraph is reporting on that Opinium poll that Boris would win a 122 seat majority.

Have another election and then perhaps we can chat about wallpaper again.
    Omnium said:

Charles said:

Omnium said:

Floater said:

kinabalu said:

Charles said:

Maybe that's really Friday 2nd now though as there were 11 days that went missing in the calendar switch.
    You win the PB Periodical Pedantry Pendent
    edited May 2021
    Charles said:

Omnium said:

Charles said:

Omnium said:

Floater said:

kinabalu said:

Charles said:

*Pendant :wink:
    Charles said:

Omnium said:

Charles said:

Omnium said:

Floater said:

kinabalu said:

Charles said:

Excellent. Actually I think it's really 24th as I edited, and in fact there's a little more complexity which means that's probably not right either.
  • SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,392

PB nostalgia time.

EICIPM

And we lost. So this Parliament we are trying a different approach...

SKS is the tortoise to Bozo's hare.
    JBriskin3 said:

isam said:

ping said:

“I can see your voice”

Wiki wiki tells me that the author you are referring to is Ken Kessey. To answer your question; No.
    Apologies all. I'm slurring already (and so early on a Saturday). Ken Kesey apparently
  • DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 23,926

So..

What's the usual delay between a humungously massive scandal like the wallpaper, or the holiday, hitting the news, getting in voters' minds, changing how those voters respond in opinion polls..

Oh, not yet. Ok

Years and at least one more election victory if Watergate and Iraq are any guide.
  • Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,735
    Govt source tells Sunday Times: “It’s very clear that we should have closed the border to India earlier and that Boris did not do so because he didn’t want to offend Modi.”

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/3a8b6ac0-b59e-11eb-a803-dd7acc9bc346?shareToken=1e849dfa3ddf19f2d8d2852476fd8756

** In tomorrow's Sunday Telegraph **

How three days of inaction let the Indian variant take hold in Britain by @PatrickSawer and @lizrob92

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2021/05/15/three-days-inaction-let-indian-variant-take-hold-britain/

Who is leaking this stuff, and why now?
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,038
    Mike Bird
    @Birdyword
    Vaccination rates in England (and the rest of the UK) are really astounding. We spent a year talking about antivax sentiment and hesitancy, but the proportions actually not getting vaccinated are practically rounding errors. (via
    @COVID19actuary
    )

https://twitter.com/Birdyword/status/1393455201953091586

Yet we are told the NHS is about to be swamped thru Indian variant. Seems Sunday Times will have more SAGE modelling saying 1000s will die.

Charles said:

Omnium said:

Charles said:

Omnium said:

Floater said:

kinabalu said:

Charles said:

No, pendent, in the sense of remaining undecided - same root as pending

😜
    edited May 2021
    Scott_xP said:

Govt source tells Sunday Times: “It’s very clear that we should have closed the border to India earlier and that Boris did not do so because he didn’t want to offend Modi.”

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/3a8b6ac0-b59e-11eb-a803-dd7acc9bc346?shareToken=1e849dfa3ddf19f2d8d2852476fd8756

How three days of inaction let the Indian variant take hold in Britain by @PatrickSawer and @lizrob92

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2021/05/15/three-days-inaction-let-indian-variant-take-hold-britain/

3 days would have made no real difference. By the time you know its too late and despite that it spread elsewhere, they don't sequence COVID, people travel from there and boom you have it.

You have to close the border properly and continuously. All this open, close, kinda of open, but sort of closed, doesn't really do anything.
  • Daveyboy1961Daveyboy1961 Posts: 3,335

Scott_xP said:

3 days would have made no real difference. By the time you know its too late and despite that it spread elsewhere, they don't sequence COVID, people travel from there and boom you have it.

You have to close the border properly and continuously. All this open, close, kinda of open, but sort of closed, doesn't really do anything.
    It depends on how many people arrived in the UK from India during those 3 days, surely?
    Charles said:

Charles said:

Omnium said:

Charles said:

Omnium said:

Floater said:

kinabalu said:

Charles said:

😜
    At least you didn't leave us hanging. Now I must apologize for my pendantry.
    edited May 2021

Scott_xP said:

It depends on how many people arrived in the UK from India during those 3 days, surely?
    If it is significantly more transmissible than the other strains, it really doesn't matter. It will seed regardless, win out over the other variants and spread.

Unless we a) have permanent border closure and b) permanent lockdown.
  • stodgestodge Posts: 12,741

Mike Bird
    @Birdyword
    Vaccination rates in England (and the rest of the UK) are really astounding. We spent a year talking about antivax sentiment and hesitancy, but the proportions actually not getting vaccinated are practically rounding errors. (via
    @COVID19actuary
    )

Yet we are told the NHS is about to be swamped thru Indian variant. Seems Sunday Times will have more SAGE modelling saying 1000s will die.

I suppose it depends on whether you are using the ONS or NIMS population estimates. The estimates themselves are based on census information over a decade old so there's a lot of guesswork.

My estimate of 25,000 adults over 50 in Newham not having had a first vaccination is based on the NIMS estimates.
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,748
    isam said:

ping said:

“I can see your voice”

Long, long time ago. Lots cutting down trees if I recall right?
    Police have charged 11 people with violent disorder after a fight broke out at Luton Airport.

Four people were injured, three seriously, in the brawl, which happened in the main departure lounge on Friday morning.

The 11 men, aged between 20 and 55, were released on bail ahead of a court hearing.

Five other people were released without charge and another was released on bail with conditions.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-beds-bucks-herts-57127034

I wonder where they were flying to.
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,129
    Charles said:

Charles said:

Omnium said:

Charles said:

Omnium said:

Floater said:

kinabalu said:

Charles said:

😜
    No, must surely be pendant=pennant, flag, in the RN sense.
    edited May 2021

Police have charged 11 people with violent disorder after a fight broke out at Luton Airport.

Four people were injured, three seriously, in the brawl, which happened in the main departure lounge on Friday morning.

The 11 men, aged between 20 and 55, were released on bail ahead of a court hearing.

Five other people were released without charge and another was released on bail with conditions.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-beds-bucks-herts-57127034

I wonder where they were flying to.

I've seen the footage, it rather looked like two groups on a lads holidays. They certainly weren't business people making an essential trip abroad for commerce.

PB nostalgia time.

EICIPM

And we lost. So this Parliament we are trying a different approach...

SKS is the tortoise to Bozo's hare.
    But its tortoise SKS who has gone to sleep.

Mike Bird
    @Birdyword
    @COVID19actuary
    )

It's completely ridiculous. There's simply no way that we'd ever get to that level with 95%+ of groups 1-6 vaccinated and around 85% of them having had both doses.

The pool of potential deaths is extremely low and we know that those groups account for 80%+ of all cumulative COVID deaths and the peaks in the previous two waves was about 1300 per day. Wed peak at around 150 per day on the basis we stopped vaccinating today and didn't bother doing another person every again. We know that's not the case.

I'd remind people that the last doom model assumed that 45% of people had vaccine immunity despite real world data showing that number was at 55% and it also assumed that vaccine immunity would peak at 60% and then drop off, we're at 70% and rising.

These models exist to get these headlines and give politicians exactly what they need to keep everyone scared and locked down forever. The scientists who produce them need to be named and shamed and forced to retract them when their stupid predictions don't come to pass. There's no accountability, they get to spout off with idiot predictions and no one calls them out on the past failures and they continue to get funding and continue to produce garbage data.
    Carnyx said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Omnium said:

Charles said:

Omnium said:

Floater said:

kinabalu said:

Charles said:

😜
    No, must surely be pendant=pennant, flag, in the RN sense.
    So my award for PB Periodical Pedantry has gone from what I imaging as a nice medal (Charles surely wouldn't skimp), via some undefined sort of undecided ragamuffin, and now finishes up as a salt-stained bit of cloth?

Scott_xP said:

If it is significantly more transmissible than the other strains, it really doesn't matter. It will seed regardless, win out over the other variants and spread.

Sure but it would have been preferable to have had proper border control until we had completed our vaccination and then steadily allow travel to countries which had completed their own vaccination programs.
  • LeonLeon Posts: 46,217
    Charles said:

ping said:

@ydoethur

—-

They elected the hamas dickheads
    "elected"

FFS
    edited May 2021

Scott_xP said:

Sure but it would have been preferable to have had proper border control until we had completed our vaccination and then steadily allow travel to countries which had completed their own vaccination programs.
    I have been calling for that since March 2020....

Even the hotel quarantine system the government finally put in place is a nonsense. Hardly anybody actually has to do it and there are so many loopholes. And even then, those doing it, are allowed out for their exercise etc.

You have to do this properly, get in that room, stay in that room. You don't go interacting with others, with staff, etc. Because as we saw in Australia, even putting aside the security bonking the guests, they have had outbreaks from cleaners interacting with guests (against the protocols) and then having mini-outbreaks.
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,038
    edited May 2021
    MaxPB said:

Mike Bird
    @Birdyword
    @COVID19actuary
    )

It's completely ridiculous. There's simply no way that we'd ever get to that level with 95%+ of groups 1-6 vaccinated and around 85% of them having had both doses.

The pool of potential deaths is extremely low and we know that those groups account for 80%+ of all cumulative COVID deaths and the peaks in the previous two waves was about 1300 per day. Wed peak at around 150 per day on the basis we stopped vaccinating today and didn't bother doing another person every again. We know that's not the case.

I'd remind people that the last doom model assumed that 45% of people had vaccine immunity despite real world data showing that number was at 55% and it also assumed that vaccine immunity would peak at 60% and then drop off, we're at 70% and rising.

These models exist to get these headlines and give politicians exactly what they need to keep everyone scared and locked down forever. The scientists who produce them need to be named and shamed and forced to retract them when their stupid predictions don't come to pass. There's no accountability, they get to spout off with idiot predictions and no one calls them out on the past failures and they continue to get funding and continue to produce garbage data.
    I guess the next step for them is to say their models show that the worst wave yet will be this summer because of X and Y and Z.
  • MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,921

Scott_xP said:

I have been calling for that since March 2020....

Even the hotel quarantine system the government finally put in place is a nonsense. Hardly anybody actually has to do it and there are so many loopholes.
    Didn't you say you've also not been to the shops since then?

PB is the last bastion of the ultra cautious re: Covid. As a major transport hub it just isn't as easy, here, as it is in other places...
    edited May 2021
  • LeonLeon Posts: 46,217
    So, why is it OK for footballers to virtue signal about BLM, by kneeling and whatever, but it is not OK for them to virtue-signal about Palestine, which is lietrally being sat on until it expires like George Floyd under Derek Chauvin, and is several million rather than 1 person?

Asking for a moral philosopher

https://twitter.com/jobellerina/status/1393634919352578060?s=20
    Leon said:

So, why is it OK for footballers to virtue signal about BLM, by kneeling and whatever, but it is not OK for them to virtue-signal about Palestine, which is lietrally being sat on until it expires like George Floyd under Derek Chauvin, and is several million rather than 1 person?

Asking for a moral philosopher

https://twitter.com/jobellerina/status/1393634919352578060?s=20

It is OK, at least from my perspective. Can't speak for anyone else mind.
    Spotify founder Daniel Ek says he has had an offer to buy Arsenal rejected.
    Branding is very important in politics these days. This "king of the north" brand Burnham has acquired could serve him very well.

Spotify founder Daniel Ek says he has had an offer to buy Arsenal rejected.

He's welcome to buy Newcastle instead

Branding is very important in politics these days. This "king of the north" brand Burnham has acquired could serve him very well.
    Agree

Even though all that peacocking cost lives in the NW, as he dicked about refusing to do the inevitable and lockdown properly.

Even though all that peacocking cost lives in the NW, as he dicked about refusing to do the inevitable and lockdown properly.
    Hasn't harmed Boris

Yes definitely, the live reaction to the government shafting the North with tier 3 restrictions without any real help for businesses or employees was a turning point for Burnham's brand and appeal.
This discussion has been closed.