Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

In the betting the money goes on Starmer going before the end of next year – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,002
edited May 2021 in General
imageIn the betting the money goes on Starmer going before the end of next year – politicalbetting.com

The chart shows the latest Smarkets betting on Starmer’s exit date. As can be seen this was a 53% chance only yesterday and it has now moved to a 67% one.

Read the full story here

Comments

• MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    Test
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,065
    edited May 2021
    Second...
  • Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,739
    I can’t believe I’m writing this. But Tory sources say Shaun Bailey’s campaign now believe they can win the London mayoralty.
    https://twitter.com/patrickkmaguire/status/1390687211184705541

Labour says it's seeing 'significant impact from turnout and voter complacency' in London. Source: 'There are still half of London boroughs to count and it’s too early to say anything with any certainty at this stage'
    https://twitter.com/JasonGroves1/status/1390695466602541057
    I think Starmer will last the year, replaced 22 or 23.
    Pattern is rather continuing in the regional list figures we have so far - Alba on 1.3% in Hamilton, 0.8% in Orkney, 2.2% in Na h-Eileanan an Iar, 1.5% in Clydebank & Milngavie - still just some wee snapshots but not looking good for Alex Salmond's party. https://twitter.com/BBCPhilipSim/status/1390680324607201281
  • Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    2023 is the end of the year after next, not next year surely?

If Labour were ruthless he'd be gone by then, he's useless. But they're not ruthless so who knows.
  • HarryFreemanHarryFreeman Posts: 210
    Labour don't bin leaders mid term.

• eekeek Posts: 24,797
    Scott_xP said:

I can’t believe I’m writing this. But Tory sources say Shaun Bailey’s campaign now believe they can win the London mayoralty.
    https://twitter.com/patrickkmaguire/status/1390687211184705541

Labour says it's seeing 'significant impact from turnout and voter complacency' in London. Source: 'There are still half of London boroughs to count and it’s too early to say anything with any certainty at this stage'
    https://twitter.com/JasonGroves1/status/1390695466602541057

If Bailey wins it will be due to Labour voters not voting far more than Tory voters actually voting.
  • Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    Party time for the Portuguese tourism industry. They make the Green list, Spain and Greece don't. The only question now is how many millions of fat Brits they can handle...?

Party time for the Portuguese tourism industry. They make the Green list, Spain and Greece don't. The only question now is how many millions of fat Brits they can handle...?

Shapps said there will be a review every 3 weeks of the traffic lights.
    Tomorrow's chip paper...

The Tory donor at the centre of the Downing Street refurbishment row was a trustee of a royal charity when it bought furniture for his home and paid £1 million to his property company, The Times can reveal https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/property-firm-owned-by-tory-donor-in-no11-flat-row-was-paid-1m-by-royal-charity-while-he-was-a-trustee-br6lhq5fh
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 113,958
    Have I missed much today?

Bloody work.

I think they may well do so this time. Everyone can see that Starmer is a dud.
  • AndreaParma_82AndreaParma_82 Posts: 4,714
    Caerphilly

Labour 46.1 (+10.7)
    Plaid 28.4 (-1.1)
    Con 17.3 (+8.4)

Unless they've just won a third General Election victory.

Other than Blair who is the last Labour leader replaced mid-term? John Smith doesn't count since it wasn't Labour's choice to replace him.
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 66,747
    edited May 2021

Well, they do, but they haven’t done it since Lansbury in 1935.

Edit - OK, Blair I will give you, but that was in government and different rules apply.

Bloody work.

Binface in a dismal 9th place.
  • Starmer has a year. If it's still dire this time next year he needs to go.
    On topic, called it earlier on this year, said Starmer wasn't up to it.

https://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2021/01/31/starmer-not-up-to-it/
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    And he says three new countries will be added to the red list:

Turkey
    Maldives
    Nepal

The Maldives, that is where so many people went to get from a red country to escape hotel quarantine in the UK...have they taken the covid with them there?
  • eekeek Posts: 24,797

2023 is the end of the year after next, not next year surely?

If Labour were ruthless he'd be gone by then, he's useless. But they're not ruthless so who knows.

You need a decent potential replacement though - and I just don't see one.
  • Starmer has a year. If it's still dire this time next year he needs to go.

SLab effect, keep changing the leader when the issues are around a coherent message which resonates with voters.
  • MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,281
    edited May 2021
    Lab win Wrexham after Con win at 2019 GE.

Same happened in Delyn.

Poor for Con in North Wales.
    edited May 2021
    Airbridge 2.0, Airbridge harder (and more complicated)... just no no no....this is a terrible idea.
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,145
    Hmm, SLAB elements unhappy

Neil Findlay
    @NeilFindlay_MSP
    Scottish Labour must:-
    - accept right to self determination
    - engage positively on the constitution
    - have a credible Devo max position
    - make it clear that a 3rd option must be on any future ballot
    - be at the table in any discussion about timing, question, conduct of any ref
    Wrexham

Lab 37.4 (+0.3)
    Con 31.4 (+0.8)
    Plaid 21.4 (+8.5)

Labour hold
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,835
    Wasn't having any of this before now. The results in the NE were as I was expecting. Perhaps even slightly better.
    But I did expect Labour to move forward in some other regions to compensate. This doesn't appear to have happened.
    So. Maybe this is value.
    Labour needs someone who both Right and Left of the Party can at least tolerate as a leader. Desperately.
    No one obvious springs to mind.

https://twitter.com/Adamstoon1/status/1390613234793713672
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,081
    Foxy said:

I think Starmer will last the year, replaced 22 or 23.

It may simply be the case of next to no real political experience, certainly in terms of campaigning, before he quickly moved up to the top job. Never been a councillor or prominent activist, required no real campaign to get elected in Camden, and during his brief time in parliament was given roles that drew mostly on his experience as a lawyer.
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 24,585

Bloody work.

Shaun Bailey looking like he might win London. So not much.
    Scott_xP said:

https://twitter.com/Adamstoon1/status/1390613234793713672
    Oh look another totally unfunny cartoon from the evening standard.
  • pingping Posts: 3,724

Not a fan of allowing non-essential foreign trips, tbh. It’s asking for trouble.

I booked for Madeira for December when it was on the Red List, within 2 months onto the green. Everything is subject to change.

SE Asia not looking good,

https://twitter.com/TelGlobalHealth/status/1389951071406247940?s=19
  • https://twitter.com/BritainElects/status/1390702236108476418

There are small signs Labour is advancing in a few small areas.
    edited May 2021

How many people will just fly to Faro and then drive to Spain? It really isn't far. Or to Gibraltar....even closer
    People still backing Brian Rose to win despite him being odds on to get under 1%!

Other than Blair who is the last Labour leader replaced mid-term? John Smith doesn't count since it wasn't Labour's choice to replace him.
    Well. It would be Wilson. Who like Blair stood down.
  • GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,072
    Scottish Sun reporting that SNP think they've won Ayr
  • tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,164
    FPT:

Turkey
    Maldives
    Nepal

The Maldives, that is where so many people went to get from a red country to escape hotel quarantine in the UK...have they taken the covid with them there?

Good job there isn't an important sporting event happening there any time soon...
  • SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,397
    Folkestone East (Kent) council result:

Lab: 38.2% (+12.5)
    Con: 32.7% (-3.0)
    Oth: 18.7% (+17.3)
    LDem: 10.4% (-6.3)

No UKIP (-20.4) as prev.

Lab GAIN from Con

No UKIP (-20.4) as prev.

Lab GAIN from Con

Fascinating
    dixiedean said:

Wasn't having any of this before now. The results in the NE were as I was expecting. Perhaps even slightly better.
    But I did expect Labour to move forward in some other regions to compensate. This doesn't appear to have happened.
    So. Maybe this is value.
    Labour needs someone who both Right and Left of the Party can at least tolerate as a leader. Desperately.

Ms Rayner 😍
    Con hold Preseli despite Lab +9%
  • WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,480
    edited May 2021
    It does indeed look as if Binface is marginally ahead of both Piers Corbyn and Peter Gammons, but Nobel laureate and anti-political correctness philosopher Lawrence Fox seems to be on about double both of them, so far.
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,279
    edited May 2021
    I just heard Starmer on the radio and felt sorry for him because he just sounded so wooden.
  • OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,688

https://twitter.com/BritainElects/status/1390702236108476418

Some small signs that people fear they might be retreating in important areas too though. Khan is drifting. (I think there's almost no chance that he doesn't win, but after having backed some 1.02s this morning I chickened out and layed some 1.03s - still massively onside anyway thanks to the generosity of Brian Rose)
    dixiedean said:

So. Maybe this is value.

It's not so much left v right. It is fish & chips v tofu.

Even Lord Guacamole gets it.
    MikeL said:

People still backing Brian Rose to win despite him being odds on to get under 1%!

Is there a link to the count? I am interested in Binface vs the other minnows.
    Preseli Pembrokeshire

Con hold

Con 39 (-0.2)
    Lab 34.6 (+9.3)
    edited May 2021
    tlg86 said:

FPT:

Turkey
    Maldives
    Nepal

Good job there isn't an important sporting event happening there any time soon...
    Government in talks to move the Champions League final to England after Turkey placed on red list

The Telegraph can exclusively reveal that the government is in talks with Uefa and would expect any approach they make to be 'accommodated'

The Government is in talks over bringing the Champions League final to England after placing coronavirus-ravaged Turkey on its “red list” for travel.

Friday’s announcement by Transport Secretary Grant Shapps threw Istanbul’s staging of the all-English clash between Manchester City and Chelsea into major doubt amid current restrictions that force anyone returning from a red-list country – including elite sportspeople – to quarantine for 10 days at a hotel at a cost of £1,750.

With a number of England’s best players due to play in the May 29 final, that would plunge Gareth Southgate’s preparations for the European Championship into chaos.

Telegraph Sport has been told talks are under way between the Government, Football Association and Uefa about moving the match to England, something fan leaders from both clubs, and a host of MPs and public health experts have called for.

Whitehall sources stressed ministers had made no formal request to that effect and had yet to be offered the game but multiple insiders indicated any such approach would be accommodated.

Wembley would be the logical venue to stage the match but it is currently hosting the Championship play-off final on the same day and it is unclear whether the English Football League would be prepared to make way.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2021/05/07/government-talks-move-champions-league-final-england-turkey/
  • CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,540
    Foxy said:

I booked for Madeira for December when it was on the Red List, within 2 months onto the green. Everything is subject to change.

Indonesia is a disaster waiting to happen - despite government attempts many will be going home for the Idul Fitri holiday, taking COVID from the cities to the countryside...
  • EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,960
    edited May 2021
    Assuming he doesn't resign, what's the process for replacing Starmer again? If I remember right, someone has to trigger a VoNC, which is determined by a simple majority of MPs. He is then automatically on the ballot for the subsequent leadership election, assuming consistent rules with 2016 (and assuming he wants to be , which he quite possibly wouldn't).

I think he still probably wins the NC vote, and comfortably, even if one is called.

Starmer has a year. If it's still dire this time next year he needs to go.

Richard Burgon installing phone lines...

True. You can almost predict where they're going to do well from demographics. Reading, Folkestone, Colchester, Hexham, etc.
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 49,958
    FPT: Old King Cole: Blue tits need a ridiculous number of moth larvae to feed their young (mostly Winter and November Moth). (From memory, blue tits consume 30 billion of them annually.) I hope they are having better luck finding them than I am. Saw my first of the year today.
    Islwyn

Labour 40.7% (-4.3)
    Ind 19.3
    Plaid 16.1 (-3.4)
    Con 15.9 (+7.9)
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 66,747
    dixiedean said:

Well. It would be Wilson. Who like Blair stood down.
    Going by that logic it would be either Smith or Beckett.
  • FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

No UKIP (-20.4) as prev.

Lab GAIN from Con

Fascinating
    It really is
    Ballot Box Scotland
    @BallotBoxScot
    ·
    2m
    Stirling (Mid & Fife) Constituency Vote:

SNP ~ 19882 (48.6%, +0.9)
    Conservative ~ 12987 (31.8%, +3.7)
    Labour ~ 6556 (16%, -4.1)
    Lib Dem ~ 1466 (3.6%, -0.6)

#SP21 #BBS21 http://ballotbox.scot
    edited May 2021

Yes. Labour must be extremely thorough about finding out exactly why and how, alongside the post-mortem in the north and elsewhere.
  • Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,001
    Con hold Aberconwy

Islwyn

Labour 40.7% (-4.3)
    Ind 19.3
    Plaid 16.1 (-3.4)
    Con 15.9 (+7.9)

I checked, the Independent candidate already finished second in 2007 (that time with 28%).
    No wonder Grant Shapps didn't read out the full list of 12 countries on the quarantine-free travel 'green list' - it includes Australia and New Zealand, which aren't letting anyone in
    https://twitter.com/JasonGroves1/status/1390701826211725315

dixiedean said:

So. Maybe this is value.

It's not so much left v right. It is fish & chips v tofu.

Even Lord Guacamole gets it.
    Nonetheless. A leader who could dine on both without suffering indigestion is necessary.
  • FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    Bebington (Wirral) council result:

Grn: 59.8% (+55.6)
    Lab: 29.0% (-27.4)
    Con: 10.0% (-11.4)
    LDem: 1.2% (-4.1)

No UKIP (-11.6) as prev.

Grn GAIN from Lab
  • TazTaz Posts: 10,703

In the 2019 GE they gained Putney.

Foxy said:

Indonesia is a disaster waiting to happen - despite government attempts many will be going home for the Idul Fitri holiday, taking COVID from the cities to the countryside...
    With increasing cases in Mongolia, South Korea, Taiwan and Japan, it is hard to see China remaining unscathed. All are effectively unvaccinated, and the situation in the Seychelles, Uruguay and Chile suggests Sinovac is a dud compared to the other vaccines.
  • CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,540
    Many of which you can't get physically get to, and others won't let you in:

• Andy_JS said:

True. You can almost predict where they're going to do well from demographics. Reading, Folkestone, Colchester, Hexham, etc.
    The intelligent play for any Labour leader, whether it's Starmer or not, is surely to figure out why they're popular in these areas and to go after them first, as they seem to be "in their column" already.

If they want to make any progress in 2024, that seems to be the most likely place to do it, they can maybe make up to 20 gains on a very good night with that. Then Starmer or whoever can leave for the next leader to re-build the coalition still further.
    Floater said:

No UKIP (-11.6) as prev.

Grn GAIN from Lab

Lab + Green near on 90% of the vote lol
  • RobDRobD Posts: 58,941
    Scott_xP said:

No wonder Grant Shapps didn't read out the full list of 12 countries on the quarantine-free travel 'green list' - it includes Australia and New Zealand, which aren't letting anyone in

Better that the list be restrictive than not.
    Clwyd South

Lab 43.2 (+7.7)
    Con 31.1 (+9.2)

LD -7.3 UKIP -10.6
  • El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,870

He'll probably wire them up to the mains.

I don't know. Some of those, you'd be taking more than two weeks anyway on the boat - so you aren't saving much time ...

It does indeed look as if Binface is marginally ahead of both Piers Corbyn and Peter Gammons, but Nobel laureate and anti-political correctness philosopher Lawrence Fox seems to be on about double both of them, so far.

The SeanT collective’s block vote has put him just ahead?
  • StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,087

St Helena you say?

Ideal destination for former leaders...
    Lab win Clwyd South.

That's the THIRD seat they have won today which they lost at 2019 GE.

Poor for Con - maybe due to lower turnout than at a GE.
    60% for Labour in Swansea East.
    edited May 2021

Either I'm imagining it, or there are strong hints of a political dimension to that list.
  • OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,688

I can't imagine he'd find 20%. The obvious aspirer is Lammy. He's put himself forward for every job in the last ten years. He's also now quite far from his childish former self. I don't think he's brave enough to spark the crisis though.

I think it's Corbyn - I think he'll re-emerge.
  • DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 23,926
    Foxy said:

MikeL said:

Is there a link to the count? I am interested in Binface vs the other minnows.
    https://www.londonelects.org.uk/im-voter/live-results/live-mayoral-results
  • To me it seems that in Wales, Labour has got a vaccine boost, much like the Tories.

It remains to be seen whether it lasts for them.
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,770
    Scott_xP said:

Does it include the US? (Also, are the rules different for fully vaccinated people?)

To me it seems that in Wales, Labour has got a vaccine boost, much like the Tories.

It remains to be seen whether it lasts for them.

It's because you can't shake the drake
  • SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,237

Correct. It waits for the Grim Reaper (or the ravages of time) to do it for (or to) them.
    Floater said:

No UKIP (-11.6) as prev.

Grn GAIN from Lab

That may be the most surprising so far.
    There has to be a local story there surely?

Nick Eardley
    @nickeardleybbc
    ·
    16m
    SNP hold Rutherglen - the main Labour target

Nick Eardley
    @nickeardleybbc
    ·
    17m
    SNP think they've won Ayr - but treat with a bit caution because still some recounting going on
    SNP gain Ayr
    Any more news on the Khan vs Bailey situation in London?
    Strathkelvin & Bearsden (West) Constituency Vote:

SNP ~ 21064 (45.5%, +2)
    Conservative ~ 9580 (20.7%, -2.1)
    Labour ~ 8510 (18.4%, -2.7)
    Lib Dem ~ 6675 (14.4%, +2)
    Family Party ~ 415 (0.9%, 0.9)

• SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,237

Either I'm imagining it, or there are strong hints of a political dimension to that list.
    Hear the South Sandwich Island are lovely this time of year. IF you are a penguin.
  • Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 48,917
    "Con Ayr" - all-new action blockbuster starring Nicola Cage as "Cameron Go!"
  • numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,414
    edited May 2021
    Omnium said:

I can't imagine he'd find 20%. The obvious aspirer is Lammy. He's put himself forward for every job in the last ten years. He's also now quite far from his childish former self. I don't think he's brave enough to spark the crisis though.

I think it's Corbyn - I think he'll re-emerge.
    Corbyn does have a “king over the water who sensible people in the party despair about making a comeback but holds a grim sway over a lot of the base” feel to him. A bit like Trump.
  • AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

SNP gain Ayr

Conservative since 2000.

Still many Constituencies to go but at the moment it looks like 2015 in miniature with the SNP getting Goldilocks swing across the country, even losing vote share where it doesn't matter.
  • 3ChordTrick3ChordTrick Posts: 98

Con hold Aberconwy

Yes what the hell Plaid were on earlier I have no idea.

Can only suspect inexperienced count watchers who got excited at a sample from the Plaidest of Plaid wards.

Poor from the Tories overall though across Wales. And even better the populist parties may well have tripped over each other on the list if there vote shares in the constituency are indicative and their supporters haven't focussed their votes.
    Andy_JS said:

Any more news on the Khan vs Bailey situation in London?

Tomorrow

tlg86 said:

FPT:

Turkey
    Maldives
    Nepal

Government in talks to move the Champions League final to England after Turkey placed on red list

The Telegraph can exclusively reveal that the government is in talks with Uefa and would expect any approach they make to be 'accommodated'

The Government is in talks over bringing the Champions League final to England after placing coronavirus-ravaged Turkey on its “red list” for travel.

Friday’s announcement by Transport Secretary Grant Shapps threw Istanbul’s staging of the all-English clash between Manchester City and Chelsea into major doubt amid current restrictions that force anyone returning from a red-list country – including elite sportspeople – to quarantine for 10 days at a hotel at a cost of £1,750.

With a number of England’s best players due to play in the May 29 final, that would plunge Gareth Southgate’s preparations for the European Championship into chaos.

Telegraph Sport has been told talks are under way between the Government, Football Association and Uefa about moving the match to England, something fan leaders from both clubs, and a host of MPs and public health experts have called for.

Whitehall sources stressed ministers had made no formal request to that effect and had yet to be offered the game but multiple insiders indicated any such approach would be accommodated.

Wembley would be the logical venue to stage the match but it is currently hosting the Championship play-off final on the same day and it is unclear whether the English Football League would be prepared to make way.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2021/05/07/government-talks-move-champions-league-final-england-turkey/
    Should be held in Wembley with 80,000 fans.
    Alistair said:

SNP gain Ayr

Conservative since 2000.

Still many Constituencies to go but at the moment it looks like 2015 in miniature with the SNP getting Goldilocks swing across the country, even losing vote share where it doesn't matter.
    How many seats are you currently predicting the SNP will win?

SNP gain Ayr

Ah! That is one more target seat, beside East Lothian, they've had.

Quesiton is how much those two gains are outweighed on the list for South of Scotland. The SNP had 3 out of 7 list seats at the last election, so would? lose 1, maybe 2.. But good for morale.
This discussion has been closed.