Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

In the betting the money goes on Starmer going before the end of next year – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

Labour asking for a recount in Dumbarton

Never saw this coming. OMG. Did Jack Baille punch a Conservative in the face or something?
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,370

So looks like the votes have been piling up in Wales for Labour then lol

My legendary modesty prevents me from mentioning that I said backing Drakeford to lose his seat was excellent value the Welsh are the Mitch McConnell of British politics.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    Khalid Mahmood, shadow minister for defence, has quit Starmer’s front bench over the local election results:

• Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607

I wonder how Andy Burnham has done in Manchester?

A good performance - against national trend - might give him a strong base to launch a Kier ouster.

He's not in parliament. May as well bet on David Miliband.
  • Options
    RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,977
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Jackson Carlaw holds on in Eastwood.

It’s just a constant stream of bad news for the Tories in Scotland.
    Possibly time to consider that they might have done better in this election with Jackson Carlaw as leader, rather than Dross.
    Well, possibly. But that is a bar so law a limbo dancing ant would be struggling to get under it.
    I think the Tory idea of success was to deny the SNP a majority. So we wait..
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Edinburgh South:

Lab hold

Lab +10%, Con -14%

MacDonald had put on enough vote share to win if Labour hadn't improved their position.

Watching the List vote in this seat will be hilarious. I predict Conservatives will be in first place on the list.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,256
    edited May 2021
    Tory hold Brighstone

48% turnout, against an island figure of 37%. Some other wards must have some low turnouts
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,914

A good performance - against national trend - might give him a strong base to launch a Kier ouster.

Labour's Manchester council majority of 92 suggests he might just have squeaked in.
  • Options
    AndreaParma_82AndreaParma_82 Posts: 4,714

Rhondda

Elizabeth Buffy Williams (Labour) 54.7 (+18.8)
    Leanne Wood (Plaid) 31.3 (-19.3)

Labour gain

Is Leanne also on the list?
    No. She is out of the Assembly
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,137
    Drakeford is a nob, his party have done very well electorally in the pandemic. Johnson is a nob, he has done very well electorally in the pandemic. Is there a correlation?
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,663
    edited May 2021
    Alistair said:

Never saw this coming. OMG. Did Jack Baille punch a Conservative in the face or something?
    It was pretty marginal last time, mind. 109 was Ms Baillie's majority in 2016. I suspect she was already wringing out the Tory tactical vote even then. Or attitudes to nukes have hardened locally - who wants to be a target when Mr Williamson is going on about annoying the Chinese?
  • Options
    Salmond conceding on BBC1 Scotland. It might actually be the end of his political career, finally. Talk about a long goodbye.
  • Options

May be mistaken, but it appears SCons are more likely to vote tactically Unionist than SLab (which of course may simply reflect greater support for the Union among SCon voters):

Edinburgh Southern (Scottish parliament) results:

LAB: 45.9% (+10.3)
    SNP: 37.0% (+4.4)
    CON: 11.6% (-14.5)
    LDEM: 4.8% (-1.0)

Labour HOLD.

https://twitter.com/BritainElects/status/1390734095379009537?s=20

The SCon campaign message was to vote tactically on the Constituency and Con on the List.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,330
    ydoethur said:

MaxPB said:

https://twitter.com/jamesjohnson252/status/1390729118250061826

The vaccines are in full swing and BoJo continues to be popular. You're welcome.

No, Keira is a poor leader.
    She rocked as the Pirate King, though.
    Suicidal strategy which nearly killed *everyone*, rescued by her other half sort-of-accidently getting a job he really, really didn't want.

That's worse that Gavin Williamson level stuff, right there. VdL level stupidity maybe?
  • Options
    3ChordTrick3ChordTrick Posts: 98

Rhondda

Labour gain

Is Leanne also on the list?
    No
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,181
    edited May 2021

Rhondda

Labour gain

Not sure why Plaid are doing badly. It does feel as though the independence mood is growing. There are now several alternative options with Gwlad and Neil McEvoy's Propel as pro-independence.
    Because it isn’t, whatever it feels like.

The majority of pro-independence people in Wales see it as a vague aspiration, that might be quite nice in the future. When several rather crucial issues have been sorted out.

Plaid Cymru’s obsession with it, or to be exact, the obsession of the past two leaders with it just makes them look stupid and out of touch. Imagine a party in Dorset arguing to be made a devolved area because Manchester has a mayor, while failing to empty the bins or mend school roofs, and you have some idea of how silly they look.

I expected them to fall back, I am surprised at how badly they are doing.
  • Options
    CorrectHorseBatteryCorrectHorseBattery Posts: 21,436
    edited May 2021
    Why did you not vote Labour?
    Brexit: 2%
    Not for working people: 2%
    Too woke: 2%
    Starmer/Leadership: 14%
    Policies not clear: 11%

It's funny though, I thought woke was the main problem, perhaps far too many do spend too much time on Twitter
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,952

dixiedean said:

IanB2 said:

Those responses make for very depressing reading in Starmer. Some clearly still there because of the shadow of Corbyn but most don't seem to like Starmer much at all.

He's got a year to turn it around and seemingly what these people want is leadership, i.e. to kick out the loony lefties and get Labour back to the centre. Can he do it? I am honestly doubtful at this point.

Part of the problem is that all the focus on Corbyn has left a legacy that the fault is always with the leader. Whereas the faults are more structural, even if Starmer has been lacklustre about addressing them
    Goes back way before that imho.
    Why did Blair win? Because he was a good leader.
    Therefore.
    Why didn't Brown, Ed M, Corbyn or Starmer? Because they weren't.

However. If you answer why did Blair win?
    Because he had popular policies, a very strong, capable team around him, iron Party discipline, and the added superb bonus of unpopular and divided opponents.
    Then you get a totally different answer for why the others didn't.
    Proof. John Smith would have won in 97. Because he had all those too. Not because Smith and Blair were uniquely good leaders.
    The problem, though, is that the Blairite formula suddenly stopped working between 2005 and 2007, before he left. The party started shedding large numbers of votes during this time, and so although Blair and Mandelson had a great tactical and structural blueprint for the party, their ideological blueprint, which they were sure would be permanent, and about which New Labour-era policians still struggle to see as anything other than an entitlement, suddenly began to fail.
    Well indeed. Because it wasn't all about the leader.
    Iron Party discipline fell apart over Iraq. That vastly capable team, did likewise. Senior Cabinet Ministers departed due to ill health, opposition to the War, scandal and fed upness.
    His major policy, Iraq, initially popular, simply looked more and more Fuck witted with every coup, insurgency, suicide bombing and conspicuous failure to produce WMD's.
    And they shed a lot of votes before 2005 too.
  • Options
    Cocky_cockneyCocky_cockney Posts: 760
    Can anyone call the Scottish situation? SNP outright majority: will they or won't they?
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,610
    I'd call that a pasting:

• Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    So the incumbents in Wales, Scotland and England did well this year. That’s interesting
  • Options

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Possibly time to consider that they might have done better in this election with Jackson Carlaw as leader, rather than Dross.
    Well, possibly. But that is a bar so law a limbo dancing ant would be struggling to get under it.
    Also a bar a planarian would find it hard to get under, as the voting system was designed to do precisely that. If I let my staff give themselves such pathetic targets my own boss would be at my ear within hours.
  • Options
    NeilVWNeilVW Posts: 703
    edited May 2021

Salmond conceding on BBC1 Scotland. It might actually be the end of his political career, finally. Talk about a long goodbye.

Talk about clutching at straws, apparently he had seen one constituency list result where Alba came ahead of the LibDems. Wow!
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    Rochdale council

Lab 16
    Con 3
    LD 1

no changes

Wigan

Lab 19
    Con 4
    Ind 3

No changes

Also in Salford (whole council up) Labour seem to have held up well.
    On the other hand, in Oldham they lost seats.
  • Options
    pingping Posts: 3,731

Can anyone call the Scottish situation? SNP outright majority: will they or won't they?

It’s all boing boing on the betting markets.

Now odds on “no maj”
  • Options

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

So you’re saying they failed on every single level?
  • Options
    I guess Labour are very popular.

In Wales
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,953
    MaxPB said:

At least Burnham is in the UK.
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,046
    Can anyone discern a pattern in Scotland?
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    Tories lose Binstead to an Indy with a big swing

Looks like a council loss for the Tories, to NOC, if this continues
  • Options

stodge said:

The Conservatives have taken control of Cornwall for the first time - won 46 of the 87 seats.

In Surrey, 60 results in - 35 Conservatives and 25 non-Conservatives.

Bit of a shock as Julie Iles lost her seat.. big conservative figure down here
    Some of the swings here quite remarkable - in the division where I live, the LibDem jumped from 23% to 60%.
    Here in my West Sussex ward we pushed the Lib Dem’s into third by four votes.
  • Options
    NeilVW said:

Talk about clutching at straws, apparently he had just seen one constituency result where Alba came ahead of the LibDems.
    Well, that's because the Lib Dems are going to get utterly horsed on the North East list.
  • Options
    Remember the rhyme "Leanne Wood is not very good"
  • Options
    https://twitter.com/RossLydall/status/1390733250478362629

Kensington is value for Labour gain 2024 whatever happens
  • Options
    NeilVW said:

Talk about clutching at straws, apparently he had seen one constituency list result where Alba came ahead of the LibDems. Wow!
    I don’t think even a limbo dancing ant could get under that bar.
  • Options
    3ChordTrick3ChordTrick Posts: 98

I guess Labour are very popular.

In Wales

They are a force of nature as an electoral force in Wales.

This is beyond all expectations for them. Guess Drakeford is quite popular after all
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,052
    Floater said:

Khalid Mahmood, shadow minister for defence, has quit Starmer’s front bench over the local election results:

Any word on Charlie Falconer?
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,617

kjh said:

stodge said:

The Conservatives have taken control of Cornwall for the first time - won 46 of the 87 seats.

In Surrey, 60 results in - 35 Conservatives and 25 non-Conservatives.

Bit of a shock as Julie Iles lost her seat.. big conservative figure down here
    Not a shock in the slightest - It was a certainty. I live in the ward.

Lot of history re the Tories in Guildford over the last few years. They got slaughtered in the Boroughs as a consequence. They also fell out with the Mole Valley Tories. This ward is in Guildford Borough, but Mole Valley constituency.

Several years ago when this was all exploding there was a Borough by election in Ripley (also in this ward). It has been Tory held forever. The LD (Colin Cross) took it with 70% of the vote. As the scandals festered on a residents group got set up. Colin and a number of Tories defected to it, as well as there being a lot of new blood. The residents group walked the Borough wards in this county seat (with 1 exception that was a LD with a lot of local support) in the Borough election.

There was no way Colin wasn't going to win it.

PS I voted for him also rather than the LD whom I would normally vote for.
    Interesting. Waverley are in talks with Guildford on close cooperation (I'm involved), perhaps even eventual merger, and anti-Tory residents' groups are significant in both.
    I have a lot of history with SW Surrey. When we won Guildford it was a joint campaign with SW Surrey. In fact SW Surrey was the main target of the two so I spent a lot of time there. In addition when the LDs imploded there I had to preside over the expulsion of two of the councilors from the party. I just wanted to bang their heads together. It was the start of the end of this being a top LD target.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Remember the rhyme "Leanne Wood is not very good"

Hopefully her audio books will come out in a boxed set
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Labour's Manchester council majority of 92 suggests he might just have squeaked in.

My mum, who voted Tory in her leafy suburban council ward, voted for Andy Burnham. I'd say he's probably nailed on.
  • Options
    ping said:

Now odds on “no maj”
    Well - that fact it is still uncertain in a system
    Designed to make it difficult to gain a majority. Yes, I’m saying that 😂
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,046
    rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

Doesn't Miliband's role with the International Rescue Mission mean he can be deployed at a moment's notice?
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,952

Rhondda

Labour gain

Good to see a Buffy win. Watch out hellmouth.
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited May 2021
    dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

IanB2 said:

Those responses make for very depressing reading in Starmer. Some clearly still there because of the shadow of Corbyn but most don't seem to like Starmer much at all.

He's got a year to turn it around and seemingly what these people want is leadership, i.e. to kick out the loony lefties and get Labour back to the centre. Can he do it? I am honestly doubtful at this point.

Part of the problem is that all the focus on Corbyn has left a legacy that the fault is always with the leader. Whereas the faults are more structural, even if Starmer has been lacklustre about addressing them
    Goes back way before that imho.
    Why did Blair win? Because he was a good leader.
    Therefore.
    Why didn't Brown, Ed M, Corbyn or Starmer? Because they weren't.

However. If you answer why did Blair win?
    Because he had popular policies, a very strong, capable team around him, iron Party discipline, and the added superb bonus of unpopular and divided opponents.
    Then you get a totally different answer for why the others didn't.
    Proof. John Smith would have won in 97. Because he had all those too. Not because Smith and Blair were uniquely good leaders.
    The problem, though, is that the Blairite formula suddenly stopped working between 2005 and 2007, before he left. The party started shedding large numbers of votes during this time, and so although Blair and Mandelson had a great tactical and structural blueprint for the party, their ideological blueprint, which they were sure would be permanent, and about which New Labour-era policians still struggle to see as anything other than an entitlement, suddenly began to fail.
    Well indeed. Because it wasn't all about the leader.
    Iron Party discipline fell apart over Iraq. That vastly capable team, did likewise. Senior Cabinet Ministers departed due to ill health, opposition to the War, scandal and fed upness.
    His major policy, Iraq, initially popular, simply looked more and more Fuck witted with every coup, insurgency, suicide bombing and conspicuous failure to produce WMD's.
    And they shed a lot of votes before 2005 too.
    The shift accelerated around 2005, though, and I think you have to look at the cultural shift that occurred in both the old Labour heartlands and metropolitan areas during that time concurrently , too. Kennedy's Liberal Democrats started to represent a more progressive urban alternative, to metropolitan liberals, well beyond Iraq , and there was a gradual shedding of trust from the heartlands, both at the pace of social improvement, and over the governance failure of Iraq. Part of these were connected with Blair and Mandelson's ideological approach itself, not just Iraq, I would say.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,550
    London results are coming through but none of the TV programmes are showing them.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

Doesn't Miliband's role with the International Rescue Mission mean he can be deployed at a moment's notice?
    Well, of course. Thunderbirds and all that.
  • Options
    Tory hold Lake North
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    IMPORTANT NEWS

John Curtis: Tories holding Eastwood means the chances of an SNP majority have significant declined.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,182

Drakeford is a nob, his party have done very well electorally in the pandemic. Johnson is a nob, he has done very well electorally in the pandemic. Is there a correlation?

That's a point - all 3 incumbents have done well today.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,847
    The Labour Party is at a crossroads.
    Does it follow the SDP, PS and PSI into irrelevancy?

Assemble a motley coalition of never-Johnsons to attain power like the PSOE?

Or find a toothsome young female who, while administratively incompetent, can out-act Johnson on “the feelz” like the NZ Labour Party?

Alan Johnson has retired I believe, so the Biden/Democrat option is not available.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

IMPORTANT NEWS

John Curtis: Tories holding Eastwood means the chances of an SNP majority have significant declined.

I think Johnson will take that..
  • Options
    Lambeth and Southwark

Khan 50.9 (-4.6)
    Bailey 19.9 (-0.9)
    Berry 11.5 (+2.8)
    Porritt 5.3 (-1.1)
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    ydoethur said:

Rhondda

Labour gain

Not sure why Plaid are doing badly. It does feel as though the independence mood is growing. There are now several alternative options with Gwlad and Neil McEvoy's Propel as pro-independence.
    Because it isn’t, whatever it feels like.

The majority of pro-independence people in Wales see it as a vague aspiration, that might be quite nice in the future. When several rather crucial issues have been sorted out.
    That kind of vote in Wales is a bit like the muddy middle (pro-SNP, No to independence) vote in Scotland. Desperate to be rid of the English but like our money too much.

If they were both net contributors to the Treasury they'd be out the exit door like a shot. There's little interest left in Britain but plenty of interest in not paying more tax.
  • Options
    Declaration for the Tory council leader comes through, loses by 876 to 636
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,137
    ydoethur said:

The UK really needs to build up cyber defences, like the Estonians have.

Sadly there are likely a lot of malign agents working to bringing down our great country.

Sadly, Agent Boris ain’t going anywhere after this result.
    Johnson's grandstanding tour of Hartlepool will contrast with his next tour of Scotland.
  • Options
    Con + Lab + LD now on 52% / 51% in Scotland, (keeps switching).
  • Options
    Ballot Box Scotland
    @BallotBoxScot
    ·
    35s
    Eastwood (West) Constituency Vote:

Conservative ~ 17911 (41.9%, +6.3)
    SNP ~ 15695 (36.8%, +5.5)
    Labour ~ 6759 (15.8%, -14.7)
    Independent ~ 1352 (3.2%, +3.2)
    Lib Dem ~ 911 (2.1%, -0.4)
    UKIP ~ 75 (0.2%, +0.2)
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

That's a point - all 3 incumbents have done well today.
    It is too early to say that the SNP have “done well”. However, they have not “done badly”.

I do think that incumbency during the pandemic is definitely part of the story with these results.
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,190

Rhondda

Labour gain

Fantastic! She was godawful.
  • Options
    SNp apparently ahead by 25 in Dumbarton so obviously a recount happening.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

David Miliband might have been the answer 15 years ago. He isn't now.

They need a northerner who is unashamed to be patriotic and who doesn't kow tow to the woke metropolitans.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

The UK really needs to build up cyber defences, like the Estonians have.

Sadly there are likely a lot of malign agents working to bringing down our great country.

Sadly, Agent Boris ain’t going anywhere after this result.
    Johnson's grandstanding tour of Hartlepool will contrast with his next tour of Scotland.
    He didn't come to Scotland at all before the election, so far as I am aware, BTW.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,022

The idea of newly elected SNP msps jumping ship to Alba is now a non starter
  • Options
    ping said:

Now odds on “no maj”
    It's been very volatile. A great market to trade if you have a clue. Which unfortunately I don't.

About 1.65 'no majority' as I type.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,953

rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

They need a northerner who is unashamed to be patriotic and who doesn't kow tow to the woke metropolitans.
    Except that risks them losing their metropolitan vote to the LibDems or the Greens, quite possibly letting the Conservatives in in those seats.

The Labour Party can't go in two directions at the same time.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

IMPORTANT NEWS

If the SNP fail to win an outright majority then I think that might be curtains for indyref2.
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,190

Rhondda

Labour gain

Fantastic! She was godawful.
    Alistair said:

For all the people having a wank over Sturgeon's grilling, Jackie Baillie was awful. All rumor. No substance. Suspect she's been punished for that.
  • Options
    NeilVWNeilVW Posts: 703
    List vote in Scotland with 16/73 counted:

SNP 40% (-3)
    CON 24% (+2)
    LAB 18% (-1)
    LD 7% (-)
    GRN 6% (+1)
    ALBA 2%
  • Options
    Ballot Box Scotland
    @BallotBoxScot
    Replying to
    @BallotBoxScot
    Midlothian North & Musselburgh (Lothian) Constituency Vote:

SNP ~ 21165 (49.7%, +0.8)
    Labour ~ 13259 (31.1%, +2.6)
    Conservative ~ 6521 (15.3%, -2.8)
    Lib Dem ~ 1630 (3.8%, -0.7)
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    Marina Ahmad (Lab) elected to the London Assembly for Lambeth & Southwark. She polled 49%. Greens second with 19.7%

Krupesh Hirani (Lab) elected for Brent and Harrow.
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

IMPORTANT NEWS

If the SNP fail to win an outright majority then I think that might be curtains for indyref2.
    Yes but the Green are pro-indy of course.
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

IMPORTANT NEWS

Greens also have it in their manifesto.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,850

Nob beats a Nobody every time

SKS is a nobody and a shockingly poor one at that.

• Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,516
    moonshine said:

Scott_xP said:

Tomorrow's chip paper...

The Tory donor at the centre of the Downing Street refurbishment row was a trustee of a royal charity when it bought furniture for his home and paid £1 million to his property company, The Times can reveal https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/property-firm-owned-by-tory-donor-in-no11-flat-row-was-paid-1m-by-royal-charity-while-he-was-a-trustee-br6lhq5fh

Starmer needs to do two things with the sleaze allegations swirling round Number 10. First, he needs to nail Boris to the wall so that he must resign. More importantly though, he needs to get the message across to voters that the issue is corruption not wallpaper. The evidence of the yesterday's election results is that he has failed on the politics, even if he can eventually topple the Prime Minister.

The Times story is interesting but is paywalled. What can be seen looks like a loose, easy-come culture, even if there is nothing legally wrong.

There was also a suggestion a couple of days ago that Boris's brother Jo had landed a job with Dyson which if nothing else might explain how they knew each other's mobile numbers.
    Labour are really going to struggle to get Boris out over wallpapergate or anything else that came out pre-election now. The Tories will be hanging onto Boris for dear life given these results.

They could still wound him if the drip-drip continues (which could help them in the next elections/2024), but as for anything else, the office of PM is self regulating (save for the boys in blue turning up at Number 10 and taking an incumbent away!) and the pressure to resign goes hand in hand with political pressure, and labours political credibility has taken yet another blow. I don’t think they’ve got the strength to force a PM out of office now, particularly one who has just had a decent night at the polls.
    Starmer's platform must be Parliament. He needs to use his forensic legal skills to nail the aura of sleaze and corruption around Number 10, and Boris's tenuous relationship with the truth. He has six questions each week to do so.
    This didn’t work for William Hague, who had substantially more wit and spontaneity than Starmer does. There’s just no way his target voter base is going to be turned on even slightly, by the oh so clever barrister tricks and niggles that he comes up with. Starmer’s leadership is actually beyond repair, if indeed it ever stood a chance after the shambles of his time as Brexit Shadow Sec.

Labour should start again or they’re going to waste another 18-24 months, by which time BJ will be limbering up for a snap election.
    I suspect that Boris is already contemplating engineering an election in 2022 (for example on the issue of whether Westminster or Nippy decide constitutional questions). He may want to sneak one in while SKS is LOTO if he decides, along with a lot of Labour MPs and much of England, that actually SKS isn't going to be PM so Boris would be safe home.

There are one or two Labour MPs who just might be able to beat him, though a remarkable number of them are in dodgy seats (Rayner, Cooper, Phillipson and no doubt others).

• Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,326
    kjh said:

I have a lot of history with SW Surrey. When we won Guildford it was a joint campaign with SW Surrey. In fact SW Surrey was the main target of the two so I spent a lot of time there. In addition when the LDs imploded there I had to preside over the expulsion of two of the councilors from the party. I just wanted to bang their heads together. It was the start of the end of this being a top LD target.

A former LibDem who switche dto us after the implosion was telling me lurid tales about it, including wife-swapping?! He and his wife joined when they moved to the area but found the atmsphere utterly unwelcoming with the clique only interested in each other, so they switched to us. In fairness, though, Paul Follows has revived them - he got a 35% swing today. They are still a narrow base - only half a dozen really active people, as far as I can tell - but they've built big personal votes. I don't think the Tories will ever lose the Parliamentary seat, though, unless the boundaries change.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Declaration for the Tory council leader comes through, loses by 876 to 636

Which council?
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,590

Pulpstar said:

My mum, who voted Tory in her leafy suburban council ward, voted for Andy Burnham. I'd say he's probably nailed on.
    The Mayoral constituency is much wider than Manchester itself though, isn't it?
  • Options
    NeilVW said:

SNP 40% (-3)
    CON 24% (+2)
    LAB 18% (-1)
    LD 7% (-)
    GRN 6% (+1)
    ALBA 2%

51% Unionist / 49% Indy.
  • Options

kjh said:

A former LibDem who switche dto us after the implosion was telling me lurid tales about it, including wife-swapping?! He and his wife joined when they moved to the area but found the atmsphere utterly unwelcoming with the clique only interested in each other, so they switched to us. In fairness, though, Paul Follows has revived them - he got a 35% swing today. They are still a narrow base - only half a dozen really active people, as far as I can tell - but they've built big personal votes. I don't think the Tories will ever lose the Parliamentary seat, though, unless the boundaries change.
    Never say never these days.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Andy_JS said:

IMPORTANT NEWS

Yep but I don't think that's sufficient. This was an SNP bid to win a mandate for indyref2. If they haven't won an outright majority then the union holds.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,983
    edited May 2021
    NeilVW said:

SNP 40% (-3)
    CON 24% (+2)
    LAB 18% (-1)
    LD 7% (-)
    GRN 6% (+1)
    ALBA 2%

SNP constituency vote slightly up on 2016 then but SNP list vote down on 2016
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,552
    Carnyx said:

rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

Well, of course. Thunderbirds and all that.
    Wouldn't Lady Penelope be a more appealing choice IF you wish to select the next Labour Leader from the Thunderbird roster? Would tick off the woman box?

OR if you do NOT wish to go posh, how's about Parker? Working class bloke, if not exactly in the model of Keir (Hardy that is).

Thunderbirds - Lady Penelope's Triumph
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nnij4E6Vopw
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Andy_JS said:

IMPORTANT NEWS

Yep but I don't think that's sufficient. This was an SNP bid to win a mandate for indyref2. If they haven't won an outright majority then the union holds.
    Parliamentary vote is what counts. Exactly as with Brexit at Westminster - Topries were a minoriuty and needed the Labour rebels and DUP.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,983
    Carnyx said:

Andy_JS said:

IMPORTANT NEWS

SNP + Green + Alba combined list voteshare is 48%, Conservative, Labour and LD combined voteshare on the list is 49%
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

IMPORTANT NEWS

Damn. That has NOT made my day.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:
    Terrible site.
    I want swings against 16!
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,413
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

Except that risks them losing their metropolitan vote to the LibDems or the Greens, quite possibly letting the Conservatives in in those seats.

The Labour Party can't go in two directions at the same time.
    Though the miracle is that Johnson's Conservatives have, and continue to get away with it.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

No I think you're wrong there Robert.

Whereas the southern metropolitan luvvies will put up with a northerner Labour leader, as they have for the past century, the opposite is not true.

It's part of the patronising woke metropolitan agenda that they will tolerate a good old northerner in charge of the party so long as he or she is basically coming out with the right kind of policies. They'll put up with a bit of patriotism and they know they've lost the EU so, for them, it's no longer an issue.
  • Options
    NeilVW said:

SNP 40% (-3)
    CON 24% (+2)
    LAB 18% (-1)
    LD 7% (-)
    GRN 6% (+1)
    ALBA 2%

Poor for the Greens.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Pulpstar said:

The Mayoral constituency is much wider than Manchester itself though, isn't it?
    Burnham has a massive profile, and a lot of goodwill locally. It's Greater Manchester which is as socially mixed as you might imagine, but he will win it.
  • Options
    Khan did badly in Brent and Harrow compared to the Assembly results. Bailey ahead on first preferences (3% swing to him)
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,552
    algarkirk said:

moonshine said:

Scott_xP said:

Tomorrow's chip paper...

The Tory donor at the centre of the Downing Street refurbishment row was a trustee of a royal charity when it bought furniture for his home and paid £1 million to his property company, The Times can reveal https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/property-firm-owned-by-tory-donor-in-no11-flat-row-was-paid-1m-by-royal-charity-while-he-was-a-trustee-br6lhq5fh

Starmer needs to do two things with the sleaze allegations swirling round Number 10. First, he needs to nail Boris to the wall so that he must resign. More importantly though, he needs to get the message across to voters that the issue is corruption not wallpaper. The evidence of the yesterday's election results is that he has failed on the politics, even if he can eventually topple the Prime Minister.

The Times story is interesting but is paywalled. What can be seen looks like a loose, easy-come culture, even if there is nothing legally wrong.

There was also a suggestion a couple of days ago that Boris's brother Jo had landed a job with Dyson which if nothing else might explain how they knew each other's mobile numbers.
    Labour are really going to struggle to get Boris out over wallpapergate or anything else that came out pre-election now. The Tories will be hanging onto Boris for dear life given these results.

They could still wound him if the drip-drip continues (which could help them in the next elections/2024), but as for anything else, the office of PM is self regulating (save for the boys in blue turning up at Number 10 and taking an incumbent away!) and the pressure to resign goes hand in hand with political pressure, and labours political credibility has taken yet another blow. I don’t think they’ve got the strength to force a PM out of office now, particularly one who has just had a decent night at the polls.
    Starmer's platform must be Parliament. He needs to use his forensic legal skills to nail the aura of sleaze and corruption around Number 10, and Boris's tenuous relationship with the truth. He has six questions each week to do so.
    This didn’t work for William Hague, who had substantially more wit and spontaneity than Starmer does. There’s just no way his target voter base is going to be turned on even slightly, by the oh so clever barrister tricks and niggles that he comes up with. Starmer’s leadership is actually beyond repair, if indeed it ever stood a chance after the shambles of his time as Brexit Shadow Sec.

Labour should start again or they’re going to waste another 18-24 months, by which time BJ will be limbering up for a snap election.
    I suspect that Boris is already contemplating engineering an election in 2022 (for example on the issue of whether Westminster or Nippy decide constitutional questions). He may want to sneak one in while SKS is LOTO if he decides, along with a lot of Labour MPs and much of England, that actually SKS isn't going to be PM so Boris would be safe home.

There are one or two Labour MPs who just might be able to beat him, though a remarkable number of them are in dodgy seats (Rayner, Cooper, Phillipson and no doubt others).

In 1935 Stanley Baldwin called the election just after George Lansbury resigned (under pressure) as Labour leader and Clement Attlee was selected in his place, thus catching Labour on the back foot. And securing another big win for the National Govt.
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,339
    edited May 2021
    kinabalu said:

Andy_JS said:

IMPORTANT NEWS

Damn. That has NOT made my day.
    Good news...of no majority
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,850
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Andy_JS said:

IMPORTANT NEWS

Parliamentary vote is what counts. Exactly as with Brexit at Westminster - Topries were a minoriuty and needed the Labour rebels and DUP.
    The constitution is a devolved matter. Johnson will ignore the Scottish Parliament. We all know this.

Scotland is stuck in its current rut until people either get bored of banging on about independence for decades on end and give up, or an enfeebled left-wing opposition at Westminster finally manages to scrape together enough votes in England and Wales to put the SNP into bat as the balancing power in the Commons. I'm imagining that the latter will occur, but Lord alone knows how many years you'll be waiting for it.
  • Options
    numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,441

Andy_JS said:

IMPORTANT NEWS

Yes and no.

It’s probably curtains to the idea that Boris would feel pressured enough to commit to one.

But given an IndyRef bill will get through with Green Party backing, and then we have the fun of the court case, we’ve got a ways to go yet. Though if there is no SNP majority I agree the chances of an IndyRef this side of GE2024 look incredibly slim.
  • Options
    IND hold Cowes West with large majority
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,022
    edited May 2021

Alistair said:

For all the people having a wank over Sturgeon's grilling, Jackie Baillie was awful. All rumor. No substance. Suspect she's been punished for that.
    She was PB Tories' fave for Lab leader at one point!
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,516
    Is the prospect then of a clear 'number of seats' victory in Scotland for independence supporters, but with the actual vote numbers split about 50/50 between unionists and independents, while the polling on independence looks similarly about 50/50? A bit of a nightmare for the person, none other than Nippy, who has to make the first move is it not?

Boris has the luxury of being able to sit tight and wait. It seems to me he is safe until all three of these particular lemons are in a row.
This discussion has been closed.