Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

In the betting the money goes on Starmer going before the end of next year – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited May 2021

Those responses make for very depressing reading in Starmer. Some clearly still there because of the shadow of Corbyn but most don't seem to like Starmer much at all.

He's got a year to turn it around and seemingly what these people want is leadership, i.e. to kick out the loony lefties and get Labour back to the centre. Can he do it? I am honestly doubtful at this point.

I have to say I think he would find it very hard to lead in that way without shedding further support in other directions, from what I can see. It needs to be consensus but with strong and focused leadership, I think.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,937

HYUFD said:

nico679 said:

Some strange results in Scotland with clear tactical voting in some areas and no sign of that in others . The SNP majority is still on a knife edge.

On the Edinburgh Central swing the SNP would win a majority but that is a very Remain area.

However if the Banffshire and Buchan South seat is replicated in its neighbouring seat in the more Leave seat of Moray the Tories would gain it and if Labour hold Dumbarton, the LDs win Caithness and Sutherland which they hold at Westminster and the SNP lose list seats to the Greens then there could yet be no SNP majority
    The SNP have already held Moray.
    Apologies, they have, though there was a small swing to the SCons.

The Tories top target in Scotland, Perthshire South and Kinrosshire has yet to declare
  • Options
    AramintaMoonbeamQCAramintaMoonbeamQC Posts: 3,589
    edited May 2021
    ydoethur said:

Finally, some sanity on schools:

https://www.tes.com/news/school-mask-rule-set-end-despite-teacher-opposition

(No, teachers are not opposed. The article is misleading to that extent. Some unions are, especially those representing cleaning staff. Why, I don’t know, as the children are trawling their masks over desks, touching them and then chairs, dropping them on the floor...)

I'm not opposed either, that vast majority of our staff are vaccinated and the local infection rate is currently nil.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,079
    Andy_JS said:

kinabalu said:

Jeremy live on ch4 news! Charisma oozing from the man.

In stark contrast to Starmer.
    "What I want to see is a DIFFERENT WORLD" ... sniff.

I miss him and want him back.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,108
    HYUFD said:

nico679 said:

Some strange results in Scotland with clear tactical voting in some areas and no sign of that in others . The SNP majority is still on a knife edge.

On the Edinburgh Central swing the SNP would win a majority but that is a very Remain area.

If Labour hold Dumbarton and the Tories hold their remaining constituency seats and the SNP lose list seats to the Greens then there could yet be no SNP majority
    That comment aged spectacularly badly.

Labour asking for a recount in Dumbarton

• Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,215

Those responses make for very depressing reading in Starmer. Some clearly still there because of the shadow of Corbyn but most don't seem to like Starmer much at all.

He's got a year to turn it around and seemingly what these people want is leadership, i.e. to kick out the loony lefties and get Labour back to the centre. Can he do it? I am honestly doubtful at this point.

Part of the problem is that all the focus on Corbyn has left a legacy that the fault is always with the leader. Whereas the faults are more structural, even if Starmer has been lacklustre about addressing them
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    Edinburgh South:

Lab hold

Lab +10%, Con -14%
  • Options
    The problem though, is I genuinely believe any of the other candidates would have had the same reaction. Starmer remains the best Labour have got but it is depressing how badly Labour is perceived by many.

I am increasingly of the view that Burnham should find a way back into Parliament.
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    Labour hold Edinburgh Southern with a majority of 4,022 over the SNP, swing of 3% SNP to Labour
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,043
    Andy_JS said:

kinabalu said:

Jeremy live on ch4 news! Charisma oozing from the man.

In stark contrast to Starmer.
    Get your three quid out.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Part of the problem is that all the focus on Corbyn has left a legacy that the fault is always with the leader. Whereas the faults are more structural, even if Starmer has been lacklustre about addressing them
    If Starmer can't resolve them though, it is ultimately his responsibility and he should go.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,319

stodge said:

The Conservatives have taken control of Cornwall for the first time - won 46 of the 87 seats.

In Surrey, 60 results in - 35 Conservatives and 25 non-Conservatives.

Bit of a shock as Julie Iles lost her seat.. big conservative figure down here
    Some of the swings here quite remarkable - in the division where I live, the LibDem jumped from 23% to 60%.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,584
    Ballot Box Scotland
    @BallotBoxScot
    ·
    3m
    Glasgow Pollok Constituency Vote:

SNP ~ 18163 (53.7%,-1.1)
    Lab ~ 11058 (32.7%,+1.1)
    Con ~ 1849 (5.5%,-4)
    Grn ~ 1651 (4.9%,+4.9)
    LD ~ 522 (1.5%,-0.5)
    UKIP ~ 185 (0.5%,-1.4)
    LBT ~ 157(0.5%,+0.5)
    REC ~ 114(0.3%,+0.3)
    Ind ~ 94(0.3%,+0.3)
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,443
    IanB2 said:

Andy_JS said:

Andy_JS said:

I'm just wondering whether the problem for Khan in London may be that a lot of Green voters, and voters for other minor left-wing parties, have refused to give him their second preference as expected.

Would we know that yet? Have second preferences been published or are they held back until we know who has been eliminated, in case a sudden surge for Count Binface?
    Both main parties have been saying Khan hasn't done as well as expected. It may be total nonsense of course once we get the results.
    The Tories appear to have won Havering & Redbridge, possibly by a clear margin, which is remarkable given the demographics, especially in the latter, as well as Labour’s renowned ground game there.
    That's a good sign for the Tories, to state the obvious.
  • Options
    AndreaParma_82AndreaParma_82 Posts: 4,714
    Rumours of only 25 votes gap in Dunbarton
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
  • Options

IanB2 said:

If Starmer can't resolve them though, it is ultimately his responsibility and he should go.
    True. But then your hero Andy hadnt a single noteworthy idea nor very much charisma when he ran for the job. He certainly has grown into the mayoral role, but is there any evidence he would return to Parliament able to lead?
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    Andy_JS said:

Con + Lab + LD = 50% in Scotland in the constituencies declared so far.

Yes, on constituency vote SNP and Greens only on 48% combined at the moment
  • Options

stodge said:

The Conservatives have taken control of Cornwall for the first time - won 46 of the 87 seats.

Some of the swings here quite remarkable - in the division where I live, the LibDem jumped from 23% to 60%.
    The partnershipcarders’ revenge....
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Andy_JS said:

Yes, but lots of SLAB voters are pro-indy anyway, so that isn't a very useful calculation.
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,489
    Andy_JS said:

Andy_JS said:

I'm just wondering whether the problem for Khan in London may be that a lot of Green voters, and voters for other minor left-wing parties, have refused to give him their second preference as expected.

Would we know that yet? Have second preferences been published or are they held back until we know who has been eliminated, in case a sudden surge for Count Binface?
    Both main parties have been saying Khan hasn't done as well as expected. It may be total nonsense of course once we get the results.
    Think Khan is going to under-perform. Because his "leadership" has been rather under-whelming.
  • Options
    CorrectHorseBatteryCorrectHorseBattery Posts: 21,436
    edited May 2021
    IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

True. But then your hero Andy hadnt a single noteworthy idea nor very much charisma when he ran for the job. He certainly has grown into the mayoral role, but is there any evidence he would return to Parliament able to lead?
    Andy isn't my hero whatsoever, I've only even considered him today. I am just honestly speaking out loud in terms of potential successors with more charisma than Starmer and something of a higher profile.

I don't think Phillips is necessarily bad in the long run but she did have a woeful time last time she stood.

Dan Jarvis is always my preferred. But will he stand?
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    Andy_JS said:

IanB2 said:

Andy_JS said:

Andy_JS said:

The Tories appear to have won Havering & Redbridge, possibly by a clear margin, which is remarkable given the demographics, especially in the latter, as well as Labour’s renowned ground game there.
    That's a good sign for the Tories, to state the obvious.
    Likely almost entirely down to Havering, which is strong Leave and Andrew Rosindell country.

Good Tory result though
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Finally, some sanity on schools:

https://www.tes.com/news/school-mask-rule-set-end-despite-teacher-opposition

(No, teachers are not opposed. The article is misleading to that extent. Some unions are, especially those representing cleaning staff. Why, I don’t know, as the children are trawling their masks over desks, touching them and then chairs, dropping them on the floor...)

I'm not opposed either, that vast majority of our staff are vaccinated and the local infection rate is currently nil.
    Masks in schools were a bloody fool idea. A government that prized message over substance and particularly over the welfare of both children and teachers.

The sooner they’re scrapped, the better.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,919
    stodge said:

The Cornwall result is a terrific performance by the Conservatives.
  • Options
    Ballot Box Scotland
    @BallotBoxScot
    ·
    3m
    Greenock & Inverclyde (West) Constituency Vote:

SNP ~ 19713 (54.2%, +0.5)
    Labour ~ 11539 (31.7%, +4)
    Conservative ~ 3313 (9.1%, -5)
    Lib Dem ~ 1033 (2.8%, -1.6)
    Independent ~ 776 (2.1%, 2.1)
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,571
    edited May 2021

stodge said:

Not a shock in the slightest - It was a certainty. I live in the ward.

Lot of history re the Tories in Guildford over the last few years. They got slaughtered in the Boroughs as a consequence. They also fell out with the Mole Valley Tories. This ward is in Guildford Borough, but Mole Valley constituency.

Several years ago when this was all exploding there was a Borough by election in Ripley (also in this ward). It has been Tory held forever. The LD (Colin Cross) took it with 70% of the vote. As the scandals festered on a residents group got set up. Colin and a number of Tories defected to it, as well as there being a lot of new blood. The residents group walked the Borough wards in this county seat (with 1 exception that was a LD with a lot of local support) in the Borough election.

There was no way Colin wasn't going to win it.

PS I voted for him also rather than the LD whom I would normally vote for.
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    Island declarations now imminent, just four wards being rechecked following the misplaced postal vote farrago.

They’ve been in there ten hours now, and not a single result (other than the council leader predicting his own demise)
  • Options
    https://twitter.com/JMagosh/status/1390734349084110855

Doesn't really seem like the kind of result whereby Bailey is going to win. Labour is going forward in these traditional blue areas.
  • Options
    First declaration in London

West Central (Hammersmith, Chelsea, Kensington, Westminster)

First prefs

Bailey 38.5% (-7.5)
    Khan 36.9% (+0.8)
    Berry 7.3% (+2.1)
    Parrit 4.7% (+0.4)
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Andy_JS said:

Yes, but lots of SLAB voters are pro-indy anyway, so that isn't a very useful calculation.
    Not all SNP constituency votes are pro independence and a plurality of Scottish Green constituency voters are anti independence

• Options
    Ballot Box Scotland
    @BallotBoxScot
    ·
    58s
    Moray (Highlands & Islands) Constituency Vote:

SNP ~ 19987 (48.6%, +1.5)
    Conservative ~ 16823 (40.9%, +2.4)
    Labour ~ 2972 (7.2%, -3.4)
    Lib Dem ~ 1165 (2.8%, -1)
    UKIP ~ 188 (0.5%, +0.5)
  • Options

First prefs

Bailey 38.5% (-7.5)
    Khan 36.9% (+0.8)
    Berry 7.3% (+2.1)
    Parrit 4.7% (+0.4)

So erh, Khan went forward in rich London.
  • Options
    edited May 2021

First prefs

Bailey 38.5% (-7.5)
    Khan 36.9% (+0.8)
    Berry 7.3% (+2.1)
    Parrit 4.7% (+0.4)

Hmm. Yes, much more predictable-looking, in the new model Labour London.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Andy_JS said:

Not all SNP constituency votes are pro independence and a plurality of Scottish Green constituency voters are anti independence

But there are hardly any SG constituency voters anyway!
  • Options
    CorrectHorseBatteryCorrectHorseBattery Posts: 21,436
    edited May 2021

First prefs

Bailey 38.5% (-7.5)
    Khan 36.9% (+0.8)
    Berry 7.3% (+2.1)
    Parrit 4.7% (+0.4)

Hmm. Yes, much more predictable-looking.
    Labour likely to win Kensington in 2024, very likely I would say
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,079

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

Andy isn't my hero whatsoever, I've only even considered him today. I am just honestly speaking out loud in terms of potential successors with more charisma than Starmer and something of a higher profile.

I don't think Phillips is necessarily bad in the long run but she did have a woeful time last time she stood.

Nandy doesn't appeal?
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,940
    edited May 2021
    IanB2 said:

Goes back way before that imho.
    Why did Blair win? Because he was a good leader.
    Therefore.
    Why didn't Brown, Ed M, Corbyn or Starmer? Because they weren't.

However. If you answer why did Blair win?
    Because he had popular policies, a very strong, capable team around him, iron Party discipline, and the added superb bonus of unpopular and divided opponents.
    Then you get a totally different answer for why the others didn't.
    Proof. John Smith would have won in 97. Because he had all those too. Not because Smith and Blair were uniquely good leaders.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

Nandy doesn't appeal?
    I don't buy that she has charisma. She has some ideas, I think she needs more experience.
  • Options
    It's good IMO that the unionist parties in Scotland are getting 50% at the moment, although that may change with more results from Glasgow tomorrow.
  • Options

Rumours of only 25 votes gap in Dunbarton

*settles down on the sofa for the inevitable recount*
  • Options
    edited May 2021

First prefs

Bailey 38.5% (-7.5)
    Khan 36.9% (+0.8)
    Berry 7.3% (+2.1)
    Parrit 4.7% (+0.4)

Biggest gainer the Green party candidate it seems in wealthy bohemian west London, LDs also up.

It is a very anti Brexit area and it looks like the Tory vote in West London is down even more than it was in Edinburgh Central
  • Options
    Tony Devenish hold the Assembly seat in West Central, with majority down from 14,564 to 2,225 votes.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

The trouble is that the Labour Party is structured in a way that makes it difficult for anyone to lead in a different direction, or indeed to change at al without generating considerable resistance.
  • Options
    moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,243

Scott_xP said:

Tomorrow's chip paper...

The Tory donor at the centre of the Downing Street refurbishment row was a trustee of a royal charity when it bought furniture for his home and paid £1 million to his property company, The Times can reveal https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/property-firm-owned-by-tory-donor-in-no11-flat-row-was-paid-1m-by-royal-charity-while-he-was-a-trustee-br6lhq5fh

Starmer needs to do two things with the sleaze allegations swirling round Number 10. First, he needs to nail Boris to the wall so that he must resign. More importantly though, he needs to get the message across to voters that the issue is corruption not wallpaper. The evidence of the yesterday's election results is that he has failed on the politics, even if he can eventually topple the Prime Minister.

The Times story is interesting but is paywalled. What can be seen looks like a loose, easy-come culture, even if there is nothing legally wrong.

There was also a suggestion a couple of days ago that Boris's brother Jo had landed a job with Dyson which if nothing else might explain how they knew each other's mobile numbers.
    Labour are really going to struggle to get Boris out over wallpapergate or anything else that came out pre-election now. The Tories will be hanging onto Boris for dear life given these results.

They could still wound him if the drip-drip continues (which could help them in the next elections/2024), but as for anything else, the office of PM is self regulating (save for the boys in blue turning up at Number 10 and taking an incumbent away!) and the pressure to resign goes hand in hand with political pressure, and labours political credibility has taken yet another blow. I don’t think they’ve got the strength to force a PM out of office now, particularly one who has just had a decent night at the polls.
    Starmer's platform must be Parliament. He needs to use his forensic legal skills to nail the aura of sleaze and corruption around Number 10, and Boris's tenuous relationship with the truth. He has six questions each week to do so.
    This didn’t work for William Hague, who had substantially more wit and spontaneity than Starmer does. There’s just no way his target voter base is going to be turned on even slightly, by the oh so clever barrister tricks and niggles that he comes up with. Starmer’s leadership is actually beyond repair, if indeed it ever stood a chance after the shambles of his time as Brexit Shadow Sec.

Labour should start again or they’re going to waste another 18-24 months, by which time BJ will be limbering up for a snap election.
  • Options
    So in summary, Labour looks strong in London, likely to gain seats there, Cornwall and other areas of the South. Also Wales.

Scotland is a standstill (?) and the North/Red Wall is a disaster.

So it's an improvement on 2019 Corbyn, not by much.
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,489
    Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Andy_JS said:

But there are hardly any SG constituency voters anyway!
    So zero are pro-independence!
  • Options
    Fysics_TeacherFysics_Teacher Posts: 6,060
    moonshine said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

Island Tories now speculating that they may have lost control of the county.

The count is held up because a batch of postal votes was put in the box for the wrong ward. Council is suggesting all 39 wards may need to be recounted, which to me (I am not actually there) seems an overreaction.

Just keep those island line railway extensions coming.

I'd vote for anyone who delivered on Newport/Ventnor.

Anyone.
    I was discussing the possible Ventnor extension just last week. We are keen to see it happen, but there are some technical issues as well as the minor issue of funding
    Send me a message. I'm a civil engineer and I do railways - major project/programme management.

(PS. yes, we've been dicks to each other in the past but let's ignore that: this is more important)
    We’re expecting a feasibility study to go to Parliament from Ian Birch any day now. Once we see that - assuming it’s made public - we’ll have a better idea where things stand.
    (1) Need to relocate Ventnor industrial estate somewhere else
    (2) Wroxall - a few gardens, and maybe a couple of houses, need totalling (won't be popular)
    (3) Need some sort of connectivity shuttle down from Ventnor to town centre/bay

I think the water pipes in the tunnel are something that can be accommodatedbut I haven't seen the detailed dimensions. I think the bridge over the road at Shanklin and reshuffling of access to Lower Hyde holiday park should be able to be done.

£60-£80m project. Possibly a bit more with optimism bias.
    Which is a lot for a town of population fewer than 5,000

There’s a local guy who thinks a water-powered funicular could be built up the hill. Doesn’t sound likely to me.

Losing the Tory council to tap the Tory government for pork is probably a setback for an already unlikely project , if that is what has happened.
    You guys need to show more ambition and connect IoW to Southampton so you can go all the way from Newport to Newport.
    We had a teacher (at the school I now teach at) who managed to convince a group of sixth-formers on a school trip to the IoW that the trains were the far end of the Central line...
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

The trouble is that the Labour Party is structured in a way that makes it difficult for anyone to lead in a different direction, or indeed to change at al without generating considerable resistance.
    I genuinely think Starmer has a lot of power to change the party should he actually want to. The MPs aren't going to VONC him and they ultimately have the power.

It's actually odd the membership seemingly have the power because in actual reality they have none. Keir should show some backbone and tell them where to go.
  • Options
    Newport West

Lab 48.2% (+4.4)
    Con 34.9% (+5.9)

Labour holds also in Newport East and Aberavon
  • Options
    edited May 2021

Tony Devenish hold the Assembly seat in West Central, with majority down from 14,564 to 2,225 votes.

Kensington would be a Labour gain on those numbers at the next general election.

So never mind Labour backers, you may have lost the Red Wall but you might make inroads with the Made in Chelsea set!
  • Options
    https://twitter.com/jamesjohnson252/status/1390729118250061826

The vaccines are in full swing and BoJo continues to be popular. You're welcome.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:
    1 Keira, Knightley.
  • Options
    https://twitter.com/jamesjohnson252/status/1390729129910284290

Decent leadership could resolve much of this.
  • Options
    Recount in Dumbarton, squeaky bum time for Jackie Baillee.
  • Options

First prefs

Bailey 38.5% (-7.5)
    Khan 36.9% (+0.8)
    Berry 7.3% (+2.1)
    Parrit 4.7% (+0.4)

Hmm. Yes, much more predictable-looking.
    Labour likely to win Kensington in 2024, very likely I would say
    They’d have held it in 2019 if their MP hadn’t been a stuck up, dishonest, racist certifiable lunatic.
  • Options
    https://twitter.com/BritainElects/status/1390736765548367880

Well that's an encouraging sign for the Jewish vote.
  • Options
    SNP hold Aberdeen Central

The SNP's Kevin Stewart has held Aberdeen Central with an increased majority of 6,594 over the Conservatives.

Labour slipped to third.

(from BBC feed)
  • Options
    3ChordTrick3ChordTrick Posts: 98
    Haven't got all the numbers in front of me but I think Abolish in Wales are kyboshed. Look like may well end up with no seats. Hopefully they will get the message.

Meanwhile this is desperate Tory spin.

https://twitter.com/adrianmasters84/status/1390733953728909315?s=24

"Beginning their analysis of the results, Welsh Conservatives say their vote share has gone up but disappointing Plaid Cymru performances prevented them from taking their target seats from Labour."
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,606

https://twitter.com/JMagosh/status/1390734349084110855

Doesn't really seem like the kind of result whereby Bailey is going to win. Labour is going forward in these traditional blue areas.

Lol Bailey's not going to win. Not even half a chance. Not sure what kind of morons are briefing that he might win.
  • Options
    edited May 2021

moonshine said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

Island Tories now speculating that they may have lost control of the county.

The count is held up because a batch of postal votes was put in the box for the wrong ward. Council is suggesting all 39 wards may need to be recounted, which to me (I am not actually there) seems an overreaction.

Just keep those island line railway extensions coming.

I'd vote for anyone who delivered on Newport/Ventnor.

Anyone.
    I was discussing the possible Ventnor extension just last week. We are keen to see it happen, but there are some technical issues as well as the minor issue of funding
    Send me a message. I'm a civil engineer and I do railways - major project/programme management.

(PS. yes, we've been dicks to each other in the past but let's ignore that: this is more important)
    We’re expecting a feasibility study to go to Parliament from Ian Birch any day now. Once we see that - assuming it’s made public - we’ll have a better idea where things stand.
    (1) Need to relocate Ventnor industrial estate somewhere else
    (2) Wroxall - a few gardens, and maybe a couple of houses, need totalling (won't be popular)
    (3) Need some sort of connectivity shuttle down from Ventnor to town centre/bay

I think the water pipes in the tunnel are something that can be accommodatedbut I haven't seen the detailed dimensions. I think the bridge over the road at Shanklin and reshuffling of access to Lower Hyde holiday park should be able to be done.

£60-£80m project. Possibly a bit more with optimism bias.
    Which is a lot for a town of population fewer than 5,000

There’s a local guy who thinks a water-powered funicular could be built up the hill. Doesn’t sound likely to me.

Losing the Tory council to tap the Tory government for pork is probably a setback for an already unlikely project , if that is what has happened.
    You guys need to show more ambition and connect IoW to Southampton so you can go all the way from Newport to Newport.
    We had a teacher (at the school I now teach at) who managed to convince a group of sixth-formers on a school trip to the IoW that the trains were the far end of the Central line...
    The 1938 underground carriages are certainly a talking point, if also a very bouncy ride. I believe they originate from the Bakerloo Line, although they used them as standins on the Northern Line in the late 1980s, while they were waiting for new stock, and I remember travelling on them now and again when I lived in Archway.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,234

If we are looking at the same responses then I see nothing about kicking out loony lefties or getting Labour back to the centre.
  • Options

Do you suppose it's Messrts Johnson and Williamson going all warmonger down in London that has had any effect on people's views of Faslane/Coulport and Ms Baillie's support thereof?
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,606

The vaccines are in full swing and BoJo continues to be popular. You're welcome.

No, Keira is a poor leader.
  • Options
    NeilVWNeilVW Posts: 703
    IanB2 said:

Andy_JS said:

Andy_JS said:

Is this surprising though? According to this link, Zac won that borough in 2016 by 75k to 60k on first preferences.

https://www.londonelects.org.uk/sites/default/files/2019-09/Havering & Redbridge.pdf
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,570
    May be mistaken, but it appears SCons are more likely to vote tactically Unionist than SLab (which of course may simply reflect greater support for the Union among SCon voters):

Edinburgh Southern (Scottish parliament) results:

LAB: 45.9% (+10.3)
    SNP: 37.0% (+4.4)
    CON: 11.6% (-14.5)
    LDEM: 4.8% (-1.0)

Labour HOLD.

https://twitter.com/BritainElects/status/1390734095379009537?s=20
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Also this
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

She rocked as the Pirate King, though.
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    Llanelli declares

LAB hold, 13k to 8k
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    dixiedean said:

IanB2 said:

Goes back way before that imho.
    Why did Blair win? Because he was a good leader.
    Therefore.
    Why didn't Brown, Ed M, Corbyn or Starmer? Because they weren't.

However. If you answer why did Blair win?
    Because he had popular policies, a very strong, capable team around him, iron Party discipline, and the added superb bonus of unpopular and divided opponents.
    Then you get a totally different answer for why the others didn't.
    Proof. John Smith would have won in 97. Because he had all those too. Not because Smith and Blair were uniquely good leaders.
    The problem, though, is that the Blairite formula suddenly stopped working between 2005 and 2007, before he left. The party started shedding large numbers of votes during this time, and so although Blair and Mandelson had a great tactical and structural blueprint for the party, their ideological blueprint, which they were sure would be permanent, and about which New Labour-era policians still struggle to see as anything other than an entitlement, suddenly began to fail.
  • Options

May be mistaken, but it appears SCons are more likely to vote tactically Unionist than SLab (which of course may simply reflect greater support for the Union among SCon voters):

Labour HOLD.

Wouldn't surprise me. IIRC about a third of SLAB voters are pro-indy.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,954

Not a good image..
  • Options

First prefs

Bailey 38.5% (-7.5)
    Khan 36.9% (+0.8)
    Berry 7.3% (+2.1)
    Parrit 4.7% (+0.4)

Yes, and he'll be fine on the second ballot. The electoral system and the huge range of candidates made an open invitation to put a minor candidate first and Khan second - I know several Labour people who did that in order to show they were pro-EU, pro-environment, etc.
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    Increased Con majority in Bexley and Bromley Assembly seat very easily. Looks better than last time

Mayor
    Bailley 106k Khan 44k

Edit:

indeed
    Bailley +3 Khan -1.4 In B&B
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,940
    IIRC. Jarvis didn't stand because he has young children. 2 of whom lost their mother at a tragically young age.
    Whether he will consider it later? Who knows?
    But I wouldn't blame anyone not wanting the gig given the levels of vitriol they would inevitably face.
  • Options
    Jackson Carlaw holds on in Eastwood.
  • Options

Labour HOLD.

My distinct impression is that for Tories, the Union is all important and maintaining that trumps everything.

For Labour, in particular, other considerations are much more important (not least, kicking the Tories) and the Union should only be maintained if it is of material benefit to them, which quite a large chunk think it isn’t.

Therefore, there is every reason to think Labour voters would vote tactically *for the SNP* in at least as great a number as for the Tories.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,234
    NeilVW said:

IanB2 said:

Andy_JS said:

Andy_JS said:

Is this surprising though? According to this link, Zac won that borough in 2016 by 75k to 60k on first preferences.

https://www.londonelects.org.uk/sites/default/files/2019-09/Havering & Redbridge.pdf
    There is a lot of lazy psephology applied to London. It's a Labour city: young and multicultural so Labour enjoys a permanent hegemony. It ignores that Boris was mayor as recently as five years back and that Ken Livingstone won as an independent, not for Labour first time round.
  • Options
    edited May 2021

Good result for Carlaw and the SCons as that was an SNP target.

Labour down 15% and Tories up 6% and SNP up 6% so clearly some Labour voters tactically voted Tory to beat the SNP in Eastwood even if others went SNP
  • Options
    NeilVW said:

IanB2 said:

Andy_JS said:

Andy_JS said:

Eh?
  • Options

It’s just a constant stream of bad news for the Tories in Scotland.
  • Options
    kjh said:

stodge said:

Not a shock in the slightest - It was a certainty. I live in the ward.

Lot of history re the Tories in Guildford over the last few years. They got slaughtered in the Boroughs as a consequence. They also fell out with the Mole Valley Tories. This ward is in Guildford Borough, but Mole Valley constituency.

Several years ago when this was all exploding there was a Borough by election in Ripley (also in this ward). It has been Tory held forever. The LD (Colin Cross) took it with 70% of the vote. As the scandals festered on a residents group got set up. Colin and a number of Tories defected to it, as well as there being a lot of new blood. The residents group walked the Borough wards in this county seat (with 1 exception that was a LD with a lot of local support) in the Borough election.

There was no way Colin wasn't going to win it.

PS I voted for him also rather than the LD whom I would normally vote for.
    Interesting. Waverley are in talks with Guildford on close cooperation (I'm involved), perhaps even eventual merger, and anti-Tory residents' groups are significant in both.
  • Options
    19% majority for Labour's Lee Waters in Llanelli
  • Options
    Pretty good result for the Tories in Eastwood.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    its all over the place

Sedgley (Bury) council result:

Lab: 56.6% (+13.5)
    Con: 38.2% (-6.5)
    LDem: 5.2% (-1.0)

No Grn (-4.4) as prev.

Lab GAIN from Con

33.9% Jewish (2011 demographics)

Hapton with Park (Burnley) council result:

Con: 78.4% (+67.5)
    Lab: 15.0% (-22.9)
    Grn: 6.6% (+6.6)

No UKIP (-43.1) as prev.

Con GAIN from UKIP*

*Conservative candidate was the UKIP councillor

Canterbury City North (Kent) council result:

Lab: 43.3% (+18.0)
    Con: 23.9% (-11.3)
    LDem: 22.1% (-2.0)
    Grn: 10.6% (+0.4)

Lab GAIN from Con
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

IIRC. Jarvis didn't stand because he has young children. 2 of whom lost their mother at a tragically young age.
    Whether he will consider it later? Who knows?
    But I wouldn't blame anyone not wanting the gig given the levels of vitriol they would inevitably face.

He seems like a very decent guy, and would get dogs abuse from pillocks in his own party who think he's a Tory because reasons.

I do not blame him, Andy Burnham and presumably Tracy Brabin from washing their hands of the situation.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,043
    Leanne loses Rhonda.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,570
    Labour holds on in Edinburgh Southern and the Tories in Eastwood. So this is looking interesting and tight for the SNP overall majority.

https://twitter.com/tombradby/status/1390738400244903937?s=20
  • Options
    AramintaMoonbeamQCAramintaMoonbeamQC Posts: 3,589
    edited May 2021
    ydoethur said:

Possibly time to consider that they might have done better in this election with Jackson Carlaw as leader, rather than Dross.
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    Rhondda

Elizabeth Buffy Williams (Labour) 54.7 (+18.8)
    Leanne Wood (Plaid) 31.3 (-19.3)

Labour gain
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,045

Newport West

Lab 48.2% (+4.4)
    Con 34.9% (+5.9)

Labour holds also in Newport East and Aberavon

Losing Aberavon really would be a shock.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Possibly time to consider that they might have done better in this election with Jackson Carlaw as leader, rather than Dross.
    Well, possibly. But that is a bar so law a limbo dancing ant would be struggling to get under it.
  • Options

Rhondda

Labour gain

Terrible night for Plaid in Wales, they are going backwoods in contrast to the SNP in Scotland who will still be largest party comfortably majority or not
  • Options
    So looks like the votes have been piling up in Wales for Labour then lol
  • Options
    IND Our Island party leader defeats the Tories to gain Brading
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    ydoethur said:

Labour HOLD.

My distinct impression is that for Tories, the Union is all important and maintaining that trumps everything.

For Labour, in particular, other considerations are much more important (not least, kicking the Tories) and the Union should only be maintained if it is of material benefit to them, which quite a large chunk think it isn’t.

Therefore, there is every reason to think Labour voters would vote tactically *for the SNP* in at least as great a number as for the Tories.
    That is also my impression.

In the final analysis, the continuing existence of the Union is everything to Scots Tories, but English ones would be hugely advantaged by being shot of it. I'm not sure what the determination of the party in London not to heave Scotland over the side is really more about: a genuine commitment, or just not wanting to be the ones in charge when it all falls apart.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,954

Rhondda

Labour gain

Is Leanne also on the list?
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,045

Rhondda

Labour gain

Not sure why Plaid are doing badly. It does feel as though the independence mood is growing. There are now several alternative options with Gwlad and Neil McEvoy's Propel as pro-independence.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,845
    I wonder how Andy Burnham has done in Manchester?

A good performance - against national trend - might give him a strong base to launch a Kier ouster.
  • Options
    Overwhelming IND hold in East Cowes
This discussion has been closed.