Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

In the betting the money goes on Starmer going before the end of next year – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,458
    Starting to look a lot better for the SNP.
  • Options
    pingping Posts: 3,731
    God this election is depressing for both my politics and my betting.

Gonna give up both for a while, I think.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

Alistair said:

SNP gain Ayr

Conservative since 2000.

Still many Constituencies to go but at the moment it looks like 2015 in miniature with the SNP getting Goldilocks swing across the country, even losing vote share where it doesn't matter.
    How many seats are you currently predicting the SNP will win?
    Not a clue. If they had taken Shetland I would have gone hog wild with a prediction of 68 but no idea. No one has any idea.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,670
    Another swings and roundabouts gain for the SNP in Ayr which may prove to be very bad news for Joan McAlpine on the list.

https://twitter.com/alexmassie/status/1390706575988363268?s=20
  • Options
    Real test is how do the Greens do on the list.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,280
    They’ve been at the island’s county count for eight hours now, and actual counting is only an hour in....
  • Options

The list could throw the whole thing up in the air, though.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,733

Omnium said:

Starmer has a year. If it's still dire this time next year he needs to go.

Richard Burgon installing phone lines...
    I can't imagine he'd find 20%. The obvious aspirer is Lammy. He's put himself forward for every job in the last ten years. He's also now quite far from his childish former self. I don't think he's brave enough to spark the crisis though.

I think it's Corbyn - I think he'll re-emerge.
    Corbyn does have a “king over the water who sensible people in the party despair about making a comeback but holds a grim sway over a lot of the base” feel to him. A bit like Trump.
    Like Charles Edward Stuart de nos jours?
  • Options
    Ballot Box Scotland
    @BallotBoxScot
    ·
    4m
    SNP GAIN Ayr (South) from Conservative

Siobhan Brown defeats Conservative MSP John Scott, who is too far down the list to be re-elected now. A narrow margin of just 170 votes.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,779

Omnium said:

I can't imagine he'd find 20%. The obvious aspirer is Lammy. He's put himself forward for every job in the last ten years. He's also now quite far from his childish former self. I don't think he's brave enough to spark the crisis though.

Corbyn does have a “king over the water who sensible people in the party despair about making a comeback but holds a grim sway over a lot of the base” feel to him. A bit like Trump.
    All a bit Game of Thrones. Anyway once I had the thought it seemed not so daft.
  • Options
    numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,458

Well I do hope so. Though I have to respect the ruthless precision they seem to have in getting just the correct constituency results.
  • Options
    EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,976

tlg86 said:

FPT:

And he says three new countries will be added to the red list:

Turkey
    Maldives
    Nepal

The Maldives, that is where so many people went to get from a red country to escape hotel quarantine in the UK...have they taken the covid with them there?

Good job there isn't an important sporting event happening there any time soon...
    Government in talks to move the Champions League final to England after Turkey placed on red list

The Telegraph can exclusively reveal that the government is in talks with Uefa and would expect any approach they make to be 'accommodated'

The Government is in talks over bringing the Champions League final to England after placing coronavirus-ravaged Turkey on its “red list” for travel.

Friday’s announcement by Transport Secretary Grant Shapps threw Istanbul’s staging of the all-English clash between Manchester City and Chelsea into major doubt amid current restrictions that force anyone returning from a red-list country – including elite sportspeople – to quarantine for 10 days at a hotel at a cost of £1,750.

With a number of England’s best players due to play in the May 29 final, that would plunge Gareth Southgate’s preparations for the European Championship into chaos.

Telegraph Sport has been told talks are under way between the Government, Football Association and Uefa about moving the match to England, something fan leaders from both clubs, and a host of MPs and public health experts have called for.

Whitehall sources stressed ministers had made no formal request to that effect and had yet to be offered the game but multiple insiders indicated any such approach would be accommodated.

Wembley would be the logical venue to stage the match but it is currently hosting the Championship play-off final on the same day and it is unclear whether the English Football League would be prepared to make way.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2021/05/07/government-talks-move-champions-league-final-england-turkey/
    Should be held in Wembley with 80,000 fans.
    UEFA owes the UK govt big time for killing the ESL.

Seems like they'd make more money at Wembley than anywhere else in Europe, as well.
  • Options
    allot Box Scotland
    @BallotBoxScot
    ·
    59s
    Ayr (South) Constituency Vote:

SNP ~ 18881 (43.5%, +2.4)
    Conservative ~ 18711 (43.1%, +0.1)
    Labour ~ 4766 (11%, -3.1)
    Lib Dem ~ 808 (1.9%, nc)
    Scotia Future ~ 267 (0.6%, +0.6)
    #SP21 #BBS21 http://ballotbox.scot
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,232
    edited May 2021

Clwyd South

Lab 43.2 (+7.7)
    Con 31.1 (+9.2)

LD -7.3 UKIP -10.6

This is confusing the picture further. In other seats, it looked as though the old Brexit vote was going to Labour. But here, as in Montgomery, it seems to be going to the Tories with the Liberal Democrat vote going to Labour.

I wonder if it’s a coincidence that those are two quite anglicised seats?
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,965
    Looks like all three of our governments are being rewarded.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,288

Labour don't bin leaders mid term.

Unless they've just won a third General Election victory.

Other than Blair who is the last Labour leader replaced mid-term? John Smith doesn't count since it wasn't Labour's choice to replace him.
    Wilson?
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,335
    Waverley results as reported earlier confirmed: - 3 LD gains from Con with huge swings, 1 Farnham Residents gain from Con. Also in Surrey, Labour took Egham and is potentially in line for another gain (not yet announced).

Looking at Scotland, I see Sarwar got a decent 5% swing against Sturgeon in her constituency. My bet on SNP<70 seats from a tip here is looking safe.

Some of the Welsh results are remarkably good for Labour. I wonder if there's an element of "rewarding the government" in all 3 countries' results as people look forward to ending lockdown.
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,578
    dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

Wasn't having any of this before now. The results in the NE were as I was expecting. Perhaps even slightly better.
    But I did expect Labour to move forward in some other regions to compensate. This doesn't appear to have happened.
    So. Maybe this is value.
    Labour needs someone who both Right and Left of the Party can at least tolerate as a leader. Desperately.
    No one obvious springs to mind.

It's not so much left v right. It is fish & chips v tofu.

Even Lord Guacamole gets it.
    Nonetheless. A leader who could dine on both without suffering indigestion is necessary.
    One of the secrets of success for Nelson Rockefeller when he first ran for Governor of New York was that he went out & about from NYC delis to upstate county fairs, eating his way thorough an impressive variety of foodstuffs, from pastrami on rye to deep-fried whatever.

It showed that, though he was scion of one of the wealthiest families in the land, he was at heart (apparently) a regular guy, a true mensch.

And proved Rocky had fortitude, determination and a cast-iron stomach. All important components of modern leadership!
  • Options
    Labour has lost control of Sheffield following a Green and Lib Dem surge.

The Greens made five gains and now have 13 councillors. The Lib Dems took three seats from Labour and now have 29 councillors. Labour is still the largest party, with 41 seats, but that is two short of the majority needed to rule outright. The council is now in no overall control.

The Greens have been nibbling away at Labour’s majority for several years, capitalising on a row over tree felling, which saw one Green councillor prosecuted by the council for her role in protests. Alison Teale was later cleared of all charges. The Greens also received a massive popularity boost thanks to the highly charismatic Magid Magid, a young refugee who made headlines around the world when he became Sheffield’s Lord Mayor and later Green MEP for Yorkshire.
  • Options
    The Scottish Conservatives expect to lose their Edinburgh Central seat to the SNP after record numbers of voters turned out to vote in the Scottish capital, PA Media reports
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,288
    Con just hold Camarthen W and Pemb S - Lab well up again.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,987
    edited May 2021

Many of which you can't get physically get to, and others won't let you in:

Four of which are British controlled micro-territories; two of which have basically banned all travel.

Edit to add: Israel is to open up to fully vaccinated travellers later this month
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,079
    IanB2 said:

The Scottish Conservatives expect to lose their Edinburgh Central seat to the SNP after record numbers of voters turned out to vote in the Scottish capital, PA Media reports

@DavidL wont be happy
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    Lab hold Gower by miles.

Lab doing very well in Wales and Con pretty poorly.
  • Options
    Ballot Box Scotland
    @BallotBoxScot
    ·
    2m
    Conservative HOLD Ettrick, Roxburgh and Berwickshire (South)

Rachael Hamilton re-elected.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,928
    IanB2 said:

I'm sure we had an anecdote to the contrary earlier.
  • Options
    MikeL said:

Lab hold Gower by miles.

And Alyn and Deeside.

Labour vote up, albeit Tory vote up by much more.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,928
    Why are the Scottish anecdotes all at odds with each other >.> ?!
  • Options
    RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,977

Hmmm - still looking very 2016 to me
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,987
    rcs1000 said:

Four of which are British controlled micro-territories; two of which have basically banned all travel.

Edit to add: Israel is to open up to fully vaccinated travellers later this month
    So. It's really Portugal.

And Singapore.

And that's it.
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    From the BBC

Professor Sir John Curtice
    Polling expert

The SNP's narrow gain in the Ayr seat means that the party has secured its second gain among the nine opposition-held marginal seats, six of which the SNP need to get an overall majority.

So far it looks as though the SNP is achieving the small swing that it needs to pick up the crucial marginal seats.
  • Options
    "Rewarding the government" has (mostly) been the norm during the pandemic.

Trumpsky is the leading exception. Gee, wonder why??????

And even he & his minions did better than expected, or (IMHO) warranted.

(just tried to post this quoting Nick P below, but got error message saying "one character too short". ?????)
  • Options
    Nigel_ForemainNigel_Foremain Posts: 13,784
    IanB2 said:

The Greens made five gains and now have 13 councillors. The Lib Dems took three seats from Labour and now have 29 councillors. Labour is still the largest party, with 41 seats, but that is two short of the majority needed to rule outright. The council is now in no overall control.

The Greens have been nibbling away at Labour’s majority for several years, capitalising on a row over tree felling, which saw one Green councillor prosecuted by the council for her role in protests. Alison Teale was later cleared of all charges. The Greens also received a massive popularity boost thanks to the highly charismatic Magid Magid, a young refugee who made headlines around the world when he became Sheffield’s Lord Mayor and later Green MEP for Yorkshire.

Perhaps it would be better for everyone if the entryists from Momentum decided to do their impression of the Borg of Star Trek fame with the Green party?
  • Options
    Con vote share down 4% in Ettrick - ominous for other seats in South of Scotland.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Well, we Celts ARE a turbulent, divisive lot.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,181

If Burgon or a resurgent Corbyn came to pass, that would be the end for Labour.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,196
    edited May 2021
    On topic: My feeling is Starmer will fight the GE as Labour leader but I can't say I'm that sure about it. A bad bad day.

As for "it’s almost as if backers of the former leader (JC) are delighted that LAB has done so badly", there's a reason why it looks like that. They are. Many of them are over the fucking moon about it.

And this is no different to how the Blairite Right of the party rooted (indeed worked) for Labour to lose badly under JC at GE17 (disappointed!) and at GE19 (bingo!).

#morethatdivides
  • Options
    MikeL said:

Lab hold Gower by miles.

One has to wonder whether all the publicity that the pandemic has given to party leaders has had an effect? It is a bit like having regular party political broadcasts. The vaccine will have magnified this effect even further
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

On topic: My feeling is Starmer will fight the GE as Labour leader but I can't say I'm that sure about it. A bad bad day.

As for "it’s almost as if backers of the former leader (JC) are delighted that LAB has done so badly", there's a reason why it looks like that. They are. Many of them are over the fucking moon about it.

And this is no different to how the Blairite Right of the party rooted (indeed worked) for Labour to lose badly under JC at GE17 (disappointed!) and at GE19 (bingo!).

#morethatdivides

In the case of at least one Corbynista earlier, not so much over the moon as bending over and mooning by displaying they’re arses.
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited May 2021

IanB2 said:

Perhaps it would be better for everyone if the entryists from Momentum decided to do their impression of the Borg of Star Trek fame with the Green party?
    It might sometime turn out to be easier for everyone if two Left-inclined parties - Left-Labour and the Greens, and two centreish-inclined left parties, Right-Labour and the Liberal Democrats, finally saw if they could win by a pact coalescing around PR. Starmer should be given a good run yet to try and hold the Labour party together first, though, I think.
  • Options

MikeL said:

Lab hold Gower by miles.

One has to wonder whether all the publicity that the pandemic has given to party leaders has had an effect? It is a bit like having regular party political broadcasts. The vaccine will have magnified this effect even further
    Edit: I of course meant the leaders who are in power
  • Options
    edited May 2021

IanB2 said:

NOOO

I’ve switched over to the green team because, at least in my part of the West Midlands, they’re NOT nutters.

They’re fiscally sensible, socially liberal pro-hs2 ex-Lib Dems, on the whole.

Labour can keep the corbynistas.
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    Philip Sim
    @BBCPhilipSim
    ·
    33m
    SNP have held Rutherglen, which was at one point talked up by Labour as a possibility - means Clare Haughey will be returned to Holyrood, while James Kelly is likely out (being fifth on Labour's Glasgow list)

(not he who must not be named,. but the Labour spokeesman for ...)
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    Curtice:

Wales: Con down 10% vs 2019 GE. Lab flat.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,332
    Statement of the bleeding obvious: these are local elections.

We should expect nationally counterintuitive results where there's an unpopular incumbent local council, or other extenuating circumstances.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,779
    kinabalu said:

#morethatdivides

A total disaster that doesn't cost that much is the best sort of total disasters. Starmer has been lucky to that extent.
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    rcs1000 said:

It's legacy British Empire + longstanding allies.
  • Options
    ping said:

IanB2 said:

NOOO

I’ve switched over to the green team because, at least in my part of the West Midlands, they’re NOT nutters.

They’re fiscally sensible, socially liberal pro-hs2 ex-Lib Dems, on the whole.

Labour can keep the corbynistas.
    Yep. Let’s hope the Greens and LibDems can hold together with such a slim majority to take the council from Labour
  • Options
    This was a Labour target seat.

Rutherglen (Glasgow) Constituency Vote:

SNP ~ 20249 (50.5%, +4.3)
    Labour ~ 15083 (37.6%, +2.8)
    Conservative ~ 3663 (9.1%, -2.2)
    Lib Dem ~ 1112 (2.8%, -4.9)
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,196
    Foxy said:

I think Starmer will last the year, replaced 22 or 23.

We'll be making the call next summer. If the corner's been turned, he stays and fights the GE. If not, he goes. That's my sense of it.
  • Options

Other than Blair who is the last Labour leader replaced mid-term? John Smith doesn't count since it wasn't Labour's choice to replace him.
    Wilson?
    And prior to Wilson, George Lansbury. And before him, Arthur Henderson.

Note that Labour DID boot Henderson's predecessor as Leader, namely Ramsey Macdonald.

But THAT was a very special case!
  • Options
    noisywinternoisywinter Posts: 249
    I would love it, LOVE IT, if Corbyn became labour leader again

Arf.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

MikeL said:

Lab hold Gower by miles.

And Alyn and Deeside.

Labour vote up, albeit Tory vote up by much more.
    I think the Starmer is **** narrative is quite rightly gaining traction, particularly with the potential loss of London, is there an Andrew RT Davies is **** narrative on the way, because he really is!
  • Options
    MikeL said:

Con vote share down 4% in Ettrick - ominous for other seats in South of Scotland.

Though the vote distribution has been a bit all over the place..
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,617
    Carnyx said:

allot Box Scotland
    @BallotBoxScot
    ·
    59s

Lib Dem ~ 808 (1.9%, nc)

Ayr often seems to have very close results, such as in 1992.
  • Options
    Belay that, the SNP now have 3 target seats in the bag -

Paul Brand
    @PaulBrandITV
    ·
    1m
    🚨
    STV colleagues reporting that former Westminster leader of SNP @AngusRobertson
    has taken Edinburgh Central, @RuthDavidsonMSP
    ’s former seat (she is standing down).
  • Options

I would love it, LOVE IT, if Corbyn became labour leader again

Arf.

Be careful for what you wish. You paid your £3 and nearly got the ******* in number 10 in 2017.
  • Options

Wilson?
    And prior to Wilson, George Lansbury. And before him, Arthur Henderson.

Note that Labour DID boot Henderson's predecessor as Leader, namely Ramsey Macdonald.

But THAT was a very special case!
    Henderson wasn’t ‘booted out,’ he lost his seat.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

This is like 2007 where Betfair was all over the place on whether Labour or SNP would get most seats.

Unfortunately I simply don't have enough data to model it so I'm guessing - I'm inclined to back SNP majority above 2/1 though.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Paul Brand
    @PaulBrandITV
    ·
    1m
    🚨

If true, all eyes on Moray, Aberdeenshire West, Eastwood and Dumbarton
  • Options
    It looks like Johnson is doing well in England, Drakeford in Wales, and Sturgeon in Scotland. I'm not sure I'm a fan of this lack of rebelliousness against national leaders.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,860
    On Topic - "Before the end of next year"

Surely that should be next week.

Hopeless leader. His interview just now was the pits. Sounded like a Month Python sketch.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,670
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

And Singapore.

And that's it.
    No. Singapore bans all non resident arrivals and recently stopped UK residents transit in Changi.

Realistically Australia/NZ can't reopen until they have achieved herd immunity through vaccination - which may take a while.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,536
    FPT (though I may be confused)
    MattW said:

Carnyx said:

Selebian said:

That would be a surprise:

I can’t believe I’m writing this. But Tory sources say Shaun Bailey’s campaign now believe they can win the London mayoralty.

https://twitter.com/patrickkmaguire/status/1390687211184705541?s=20

Whatever they're on, could I have some please?

Unrelated good news: two-thirds of the adult population of the UK have now had their first Covid jab.
    66.6% no less

What will the....errr... religiously interesting types make of that?
    And somewhere, the spirit of David Shepherd is lifting a foot.
    The elephant and locomotive painter?
    I think he means the Test Cricketer turned Bishop of Woolwich, Bishop of Liverpool 1975-1997 and then Labour Life Peer. Spelt Sheppard, though.

Who was quite a politically-engaged Bishop and therefore on-topic.

Did a lot wrt Protestant - Roman-Catholic relations in Liverpool alongside Archbishop Derek Worlock.

Piccie:

• Options
    Andy_JS said:

It looks like Johnson is doing well in England, Drakeford in Wales, and Sturgeon in Scotland. I'm not sure I'm a fan of this lack of rebelliousness against national leaders.

Well, not this set of national leaders, given how shit they are.

Not that Andrew RT Davies or the egregious DRoss are notably better.
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    Carnyx said:

allot Box Scotland
    @BallotBoxScot
    ·
    59s

Lib Dem ~ 808 (1.9%, nc)

When the Tories asked for tactical voting they didn't mean anti Tory tactical voting.
  • Options
    Philip Sim
    @BBCPhilipSim
    To sub-divide even the top-ten list of marginals, obvs SNP gains in areas where they aren't going to lose list seats as a result are utterly key - so Edinburgh Central, Aberdeenshire West, Eastwood and Dumbarton. The question of a majority could hang chiefly on those four...
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Paul Brand
    @PaulBrandITV
    ·
    1m
    🚨

If true, all eyes on Moray, Aberdeenshire West, Eastwood and Dumbarton
    This is turning out to be far more interesting than I thought. Increased turnout has thrown things into play.
  • Options
    moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,244
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

And Singapore.

And that's it.
    Singapore has hotel quarantine and just announced tightened domestic restrictions because of a small handful of cases, despite decent progress with vaccine. They are still in thrall to zero covid-ism.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,860
    Khan now suffering from Starmers leadership. Turnout is dire.

Struggling to beat the worst Tory Mayoral Candidate ever.

Starmer Out
  • Options
    In any case it looks fairly certain to be an independence majority regardless of how well the SNP do. Popcorn.gif
  • Options
    MattW said:

MattW said:

Carnyx said:

Selebian said:

I can’t believe I’m writing this. But Tory sources say Shaun Bailey’s campaign now believe they can win the London mayoralty.

Unrelated good news: two-thirds of the adult population of the UK have now had their first Covid jab.
    66.6% no less

I think he means the Test Cricketer turned Bishop of Woolwich, Bishop of Liverpool 1975-1997 and then Labour Life Peer. Spelt Sheppard, though.

Did a lot wrt Protestant - Roman-Catholic relations in Liverpool alongside Archbishop Derek Worlock.

Piccie:

He meant David Shepherd the former Gloucestershire cricketer and eccentric umpire. Always stood on one leg for a ‘Nelson’ I.e. three digits the same in the score.

Who oddly, had about the weight of an elephant.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Shepherd_(umpire)
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    MattW said:

MattW said:

Carnyx said:

Selebian said:

66.6% no less

Piccie:

Thank you!
  • Options
    Bob__SykesBob__Sykes Posts: 1,176
    Fascinating results nationally. Scotland not looking quite as promising for those of us who don't want the UK destroyed. If only the Labour and LD unionists had been more prepared to back the Tory unionists an SNP majority might have been averted. Nailed on now surely?

If Brexit didn't quite destroy us, Mad Nicola surely will now.... :-(
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Local circumstances. Everything is very consistent with the push and pull of Unionist tactical voting vs anti-Tory tactical voting.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Omnium said:

Like Charles Edward Stuart de nos jours?
    "Wha'll be King but Jezza?"
  • Options
    moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,244

Starmer Out

Rory must be kicking himself tonight
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,979

Pulpstar said:

This is like 2007 where Betfair was all over the place on whether Labour or SNP would get most seats.

Unfortunately I simply don't have enough data to model it so I'm guessing - I'm inclined to back SNP majority above 2/1 though.
    I was starting to think just that then I remembered that often the constituency win results in the list seat disappearing.

So these wins will probably have zero actual impact to the final result and I don't know enough about how the list works to make a valid decision.
  • Options

Starmer Out

You are loving this.

It is remarkable how well Corbyn did in 2017 and fortunate that 2019 never happened.
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,718
    That's us booked for Lisbon end May. Happy days.
  • Options

moonshine said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

And Singapore.

And that's it.
    Singapore has hotel quarantine and just announced tightened domestic restrictions because of a small handful of cases, despite decent progress with vaccine. They are still in thrall to zero covid-ism.
    No hotel quarantine on South Sandwich Is. No hotel either.
    DIY with whale ribs and plastic sheeting, I believe.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,539
    A suggestion about the meaning of the votes so far: These votes enforce two trends

1) The move towards voting for power. Labour doing OK in Wales, SNP slightly on the up in Scotland, Tories doing better in most of England especially where they were already making progress.

In each case the immediate holder of the purse strings and power is consolidating.

Not only is identity politics being enforced, so is pork barrel. Eg in part Hartlepool is saying 'Me Too' about help from the centre - maybe they are looking at Darlington.

2) The move towards opposition between forces. Urban Labour v Tories in the rest, for England. Unionist v Nat in Scotland. And an intensification of Leave v Remain. And a move towards a showdown between the big force where only one winner is possible: Sturgeon v Boris.
  • Options
    CiceroCicero Posts: 2,222
    Carnyx said:

Philip Sim
    @BBCPhilipSim
    To sub-divide even the top-ten list of marginals, obvs SNP gains in areas where they aren't going to lose list seats as a result are utterly key - so Edinburgh Central, Aberdeenshire West, Eastwood and Dumbarton. The question of a majority could hang chiefly on those four...

Agreed
  • Options
    Snp maj now odds on
  • Options
    Khalid Mahmood is the Labour MP for Birmingham Perry Barr.

"James Forsyth
    @JGForsyth
    Khalid Mahmood has resigned from the Labour front bench saying that 'A London-based bourgeoisie, with the support of brigades of woke social media warriors, has effectively captured the party'"
  • Options

Nick Eardley
    @nickeardleybbc
    Unsurprisingly, half way through the count, sources say Dumbarton “tight
  • Options
    eek said:

Pulpstar said:

I was starting to think just that then I remembered that often the constituency win results in the list seat disappearing.

So these wins will probably have zero actual impact to the final result and I don't know enough about how the list works to make a valid decision.
    Yes, but if they win 65 constituencies then they have a majority no matter what.
  • Options
    BluestBlueBluestBlue Posts: 4,556
    Khalid Mahmood has resigned from the Labour front bench saying that 'A London-based bourgeoisie, with the support of brigades of woke social media warriors, has effectively captured the party'

Sounds like this Labour MP has a firm grasp on the culture war that you keep telling us doesn't exist...
  • Options
    ping said:

Snp maj now odds on

Price has been a roller-coaster today.
  • Options
    eek said:

Pulpstar said:

Exactly. It's something we'd need Rod Crosby to fathom for us.

But, he banned.
  • Options
    ELECTION RESULT

SNP HOLD Skye, Lochaber and Badenoch

Kate Forbes re-elected as MSP with a majority of +15,000
  • Options
    Pagan2Pagan2 Posts: 8,844

Starmer Out

Can't kick him out yet you need to find a safe seat for Pidcock first so she can become the new leader and messiahess
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Khalid Mahmood is the Labour MP for Birmingham Perry Barr.

"James Forsyth
    @JGForsyth
    Khalid Mahmood has resigned from the Labour front bench saying that 'A London-based bourgeoisie, with the support of brigades of woke social media warriors, has effectively captured the party'"

Fair play to him for having the courage of his convictions
  • Options
    Alistair said:

ping said:

Snp maj now odds on

Price has been a roller-coaster today.
    It’s up in the air - I.e I don’t think anyone really knows.. all down to the list?
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,536
    Scott_xP said:

No wonder Grant Shapps didn't read out the full list of 12 countries on the quarantine-free travel 'green list' - it includes Australia and New Zealand, which aren't letting anyone in
    https://twitter.com/JasonGroves1/status/1390701826211725315

He did say that many weren't letting us in yet.

EU will be very difficult given the EuCo dogma about open borders, and the level of average COVID cases there running at a level we dropped below in *early-mid February* .

I think that Portugal is the interesting one on this list - what are they doing with their Spanish border?

I'd say the next places will be Malta if cases fall, and Canada who are vaccinating like gangbusters.
  • Options
    SNP majority was as high as @8.8 today.
This discussion has been closed.