Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

My “Jo Biden Day 100” approval rating bet now looking touch and go – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    Chelsea taking Real Madrid apart and lead 1 0 and have the away goal
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,215
    kle4 said:

Leon said:

Incidentally I’ve been breezing around the sunny West Country for a week, meeting friends and fam when not knapping flints, and basically having a high old time. Actual beers in the sun. Lunch on restaurant terraces! Superb

However one thing I have noticed is Wow we Brits have put on lockdown weight. You can SEE IT

I read somewhere that 50% of Americans have put on 25 pounds or more during Covid

These are huge numbers, and both countries were already obese. Big health problems coming down the line

25 pounds?! Christ, I've put on about 8, being one of the West Country fatties you may have observed, but 25 would be impressive.
    Lockdown 1 was my worst. I put on about 15. The so called “quarantine fifteen” - that’s an actual thing

Lockdown 3 I put on 10 and have lost 5. Not so bad

But my impression this week is that the Brits have blobbed out, bigtime
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,304
    edited April 2021
    kle4 said:

Leon said:

Incidentally I’ve been breezing around the sunny West Country for a week, meeting friends and fam when not knapping flints, and basically having a high old time. Actual beers in the sun. Lunch on restaurant terraces! Superb

However one thing I have noticed is Wow we Brits have put on lockdown weight. You can SEE IT

I read somewhere that 50% of Americans have put on 25 pounds or more during Covid

These are huge numbers, and both countries were already obese. Big health problems coming down the line

25 pounds?! Christ, I've put on about 8, being one of the West Country fatties you may have observed, but 25 would be impressive.
    It's not surprising.

First lockdown everyone out and about on foot, bikes, you name it, glorious weather. People lost weight and got fit.

This last one, first it was over Christmas and then filthy weather keeping everyone indoors.
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,812
    Got the official leaflet for the WY Mayoral election today:

Impressions:
    Yorkshire Party: Geeky candidates, which is fine, go heavy on transport and, of course, localism

Greens: my local councillor standing, as he does in pretty much every single election I can ever vote in (and defending the ward this year). Good line about nominating the Policing deputy in advance, that's a concern with Labour, as current PCC has a poor record.

LD: very wordy 2 pages, feel like skipping over it.

English Democrats: Also advertising on the electronic billboard in town. The things that jump out are the two accents on her name in multiple fonts and places, and the Essex address. And remembering their running of Doncaster.

Conservative: If the Yorkshire Party were geeks, his photos do make him look like a bit of a prat. Will equip police with tasers, bikes and tardises afaict.

Reform: FREEDOM

Labour: Very much a personal campaign from Brabin, with Labour branding low prominence compared to a big stylised White Rose. OK set of pledges, bringing buses public a headline one.
  • Options
    pingping Posts: 3,731

Chelsea taking Real Madrid apart and lead 1 0 and have the away goal

Indeed.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,750
    edited April 2021
    Leon said:

kle4 said:

Leon said:

Evergreen comment.

I just don't much like exercising and am too weak willed to persist. When I have lost weight in the past it is pretty much all diet control and walking a lot, which only gets me so far (but down quite a lot from peak) and has diminishing returns.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

kle4 said:

Leon said:

It's not surprising.

First lockdown everyone out and about on foot, bikes, you name it, glorious weather. People lost weight and got fit.

This last one, first it was over Christmas and then filthy weather keeping everyone indoors.
    Lockdown 3 has been miserable, compared to 1, but on the weight front I’ve been more wary and watchful, so I’ve kept a tighter grip. No snacking at all hours. I kept the fridge empty

More importantly this world wide chub-out will have long term health consequences
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Leon said:

kle4 said:

Leon said:

Evergreen comment.

I just don't much like exercising and am too weak willed to persist. When I have lost weight in the past it is pretty much all diet control and walking a lot, which only gets me so far (but down quite a lot from peak) and has diminishing returns.
    The American stats, if true, are incredible. Nearly half of Americans have gained, on average, more than TWO STONE
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,304
    Leon said:

TOPPING said:

kle4 said:

Leon said:

It's not surprising.

Lockdown 3 has been miserable, compared to 1, but on the weight front I’ve been more wary and watchful, so I’ve kept a tighter grip. No snacking at all hours. I kept the fridge empty

More importantly this world wide chub-out will have long term health consequences
    It has been so long and gruelling that if you were trying to watch your weight your mind will have rebelled weeks ago and started to overeat. It's only human.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

kle4 said:

Leon said:

It's not surprising.

It has been so long and gruelling that if you were trying to watch your weight your mind will have rebelled weeks ago and started to overeat. It's only human.
    Even Gwyneth Paltrow piled it on. Which is a solace

https://www.cinemablend.com/news/2566465/even-gwyneth-paltrow-wasnt-immune-to-covid-weight-gain-apple-martin-goop

• Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,242
    kle4 said:

Leon said:

kle4 said:

Leon said:

Evergreen comment.

Walking a lot would hopefully get you quite far :smile:
  • Options
    pingping Posts: 3,731
    edited April 2021
    Damn you Real!
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,197
    ydoethur said:

IanB2 said:

BREAKING: Arlene in trouble:

Arlene Foster is facing a revolt from Democratic Unionist party politicians that threatens to topple her as party leader and first minister of Northern Ireland.

Multiple DUP members of the Northern Ireland assembly signed a letter on Tuesday calling for an unprecedented leadership contest, according to party sources.

Party members are angry at Foster’s handling of Brexit, the Northern Ireland protocol, gay rights and other issues, and worry about the party’s poll ratings.

In a brief statement the DUP declined to comment on the leadership challenge and said party officers organised its “internal democratic electoral processes”.

Sturgeon is bad. Johnson is worse.

But Foster is biscuit.

She should never have been leader in the first place. I hope the DUP finally have grown a backbone and eject her.
    The DUP are restless because Arlene is not reactionary enough. She should have been defenestrated for the outrageous "cash for ash" scam.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

IanB2 said:

Arlene Foster is facing a revolt from Democratic Unionist party politicians that threatens to topple her as party leader and first minister of Northern Ireland.

Multiple DUP members of the Northern Ireland assembly signed a letter on Tuesday calling for an unprecedented leadership contest, according to party sources.

Party members are angry at Foster’s handling of Brexit, the Northern Ireland protocol, gay rights and other issues, and worry about the party’s poll ratings.

In a brief statement the DUP declined to comment on the leadership challenge and said party officers organised its “internal democratic electoral processes”.

But Foster is biscuit.

She should never have been leader in the first place. I hope the DUP finally have grown a backbone and eject her.
    The DUP are restless because Arlene is not reactionary enough. She should have been defenestrated for the outrageous "cash for ash" scam.
    There would be a certain irony if instead of her being ejected due to the DUP growing a backbone she was ejected because they haven’t got one.
  • Options
    Lol

Go Woke, Go Broke

The Oscars rating have plunged to their lowest ever. 9.8m

Last year’s was the previous worst ever, 23m

For context they used to hit 40m

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/04/26/business/media/oscars-ratings.html

https://www.wsj.com/articles/oscars-ratings-fall-58-as-event-draws-lowest-ever-tv-viewership-11619464398
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,082
    Leon said:

kle4 said:

Leon said:

Lockdown 1 was my worst. I put on about 15. The so called “quarantine fifteen” - that’s an actual thing

There might be a difference between those people working from home / furloughed / retired and those still travelling to their place of work.

The latter group do not seem to have changed much as far as I can see.
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    Leon said:

Lol

Go Woke, Go Broke

https://www.wsj.com/articles/oscars-ratings-fall-58-as-event-draws-lowest-ever-tv-viewership-11619464398

Whilst I can believe the premise, I would have thought the Oscars was pretty woke in previous years - was there something particularly woke about the latest one, and how did people know it would be 'worse' the previously? Apparently Covid era broadcasts account for a big part of it, for some reason.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,449
    TimT said:

Scott_xP said:

"Interior decorators were in shock after Boris said 'Let the scatter cushions pile high'"

My latest cartoon for tomorrow's @Telegraph

https://twitter.com/MattCartoonist/status/1387095093455302667/photo/1

I misread that as 'inferior decorators'. Presumably the type who use John Lewis furnishings
    I'm genuinely astonished that there is a class of people for whom John Lewis is not good enough. John Lewis seems so aspirational that it seems inconceivable that there is a tier above it.
    Though that said, we do have an Arighi Bianchi dining table. I feel a stab of upper-middle-middle-class guilt whenever I think about it.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    Leon said:

Lol

Go Woke, Go Broke

I'd imagine its dying for the same reason broadcast TV is dying. Who wants to sit and watch something on a broadcasters schedule nowadays?

I've never been interested in the Oscars or any other awards ceremony, but if you are you can read all about it online, see clips on YouTube/Twitter/Facebook or whatever. Why bother sitting through a live broadcast?

Live broadcasts of anything non-sporting are dying.
  • Options
    gealbhangealbhan Posts: 2,362
    Downing St approached ex-Labour chancellor for help setting up trust to oversee PM's flat refurbishment

And he told Starmer ages ago. LOTI (leader of the inquisition) has known all about this all along.

Labour are up to their neck in this now!
  • Options
    Cookie said:

TimT said:

Scott_xP said:

"Interior decorators were in shock after Boris said 'Let the scatter cushions pile high'"

I misread that as 'inferior decorators'. Presumably the type who use John Lewis furnishings
    I'm genuinely astonished that there is a class of people for whom John Lewis is not good enough. John Lewis seems so aspirational that it seems inconceivable that there is a tier above it.
    Though that said, we do have an Arighi Bianchi dining table. I feel a stab of upper-middle-middle-class guilt whenever I think about it.
    Blimey. Even Charles doesn’t normally go for statements like that!
  • Options
    gealbhan said:

Downing St approached ex-Labour chancellor for help setting up trust to oversee PM's flat refurbishment

And he told Starmer ages ago. LOTI (leader of the inquisition) has known all about this all along.

No they’re not. We know now the renovation was dear, not Darling.
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,744
    Cookie said:

TimT said:

Scott_xP said:

Go to Dubai and you will see massive shopping centres where Gucci or Chanel are average, not aspirational.
  • Options
    gealbhan said:

Dream on!

Maybe Starmer is not as dull as he looks, and just let Johnson tee this one up nicely for him.
  • Options

Leon said:

Lol

Go Woke, Go Broke

I'd imagine its dying for the same reason broadcast TV is dying. Who wants to sit and watch something on a broadcasters schedule nowadays?

I've never been interested in the Oscars or any other awards ceremony, but if you are you can read all about it online, see clips on YouTube/Twitter/Facebook or whatever. Why bother sitting through a live broadcast?

Indeed. But I am also sure Hollywood’s ever-growing obsession with inclusivity and diversity, plus the hypocritical lecturing and pomposity that goes with it - multimillionaire celebs sneering at the poor racist hicks who watch the movies - is not helping

Eg The big Oscar winning movie was all about homeless people. This year the Oscars were held in LA’s main train station, where 100s of homeless people usually kip.

To do the ceremony, that turfed out the homeless

The American movie industry is destroying itself. It was maybe doomed anyway, by TV, games and streaming but it is still a shame to watch
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,613
    MattW said:

It's not Tony Blair it is Tony Hair.

https://twitter.com/PaulBrandITV/status/1387077917444825094

He looks like a rock star.

Serial killer from Twin Peaks.
  • Options
    FossFoss Posts: 694
    edited April 2021
    Pro_Rata said:

Impressions:
    Yorkshire Party: Geeky candidates, which is fine, go heavy on transport and, of course, localism

Greens: my local councillor standing, as he does in pretty much every single election I can ever vote in (and defending the ward this year). Good line about nominating the Policing deputy in advance, that's a concern with Labour, as current PCC has a poor record.

English Democrats: Also advertising on the electronic billboard in town. The things that jump out are the two accents on her name in multiple fonts and places, and the Essex address. And remembering their running of Doncaster.

Conservative: If the Yorkshire Party were geeks, his photos do make him look like a bit of a prat. Will equip police with tasers, bikes and tardises afaict.

Labour: Very much a personal campaign from Brabin, with Labour branding low prominence compared to a big stylised White Rose. OK set of pledges, bringing buses public a headline one.

When Brabin wins I hope she takes the Hundreds - the by-election should give us some entertainment in the run up to silly season.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,449

Cookie said:

TimT said:

Scott_xP said:

Go to Dubai and you will see massive shopping centres where Gucci or Chanel are average, not aspirational.
    I'm not sure where Gucci or Chanel fit into the class spectrum. They're expensive, yes - but are they consumed by genuinely posh people?
    I saw a wonderful article recently about class markers of consumer products, centred around the glorious and genuine classlessness of the Henry Hoover. Henry is one of the few Brits genuinely at home in any social setting.
  • Options
    gealbhan said:

I posted the whole Sky article, not Scott's edit and paste, and not only was Starmer's office aware of it last summer, but the intention was for any costs for the Downing Street Estate to be managed by a trust similar to the White Houses
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    Nigelb said:

MattW said:

Lucius Malfoy.....Death Eater.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,311

Andy_JS said:

TimT said:

IanB2 said:

rcs1000 said:

Tucker Carlson is now telling his audience to harass people who wear face masks outside.

If they see children wearing masks, Tucker says the response should be no different than when you see a kid being abused -- "call the police immediately, contact child protective services"

https://twitter.com/justinbaragona/status/1386837979453399049

The video is worth a watch just to demonstrate how batshit crazy some people have become.

By people, you mean americans. No one that idiotic over here, afaik.
    I never understand this British sense of superiority over Americans. Like the UK has no-one as batshit crazy as the worst Americans. Or that the UK does not have its own set of batshit crazy issues.

Oh! Now I remember. They are not batshit crazy if they are British, they are just fun eccentrics. Or right wing scumbags. Or left-wing Corbynistas. Or ...
    Allowing ordinary people to own guns has something to do with it.
    The US has 4.2% of the world's population yet owns something like 48% of all the World's guns. Potty
    They own 48% of all the world's potties? Blimey!
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

kle4 said:

Leon said:

It's not surprising.

Even Gwyneth Paltrow piled it on. Which is a solace

https://www.cinemablend.com/news/2566465/even-gwyneth-paltrow-wasnt-immune-to-covid-weight-gain-apple-martin-goop

She should try a regime of leafletting and canvassing. Half a stone of lockdown lard gone this month alone....
  • Options
    Foss said:

Pro_Rata said:

Impressions:

When Brabin wins I hope she takes the Hundereds - the by-election should give us some entertainment in the run up to silly season.
    I don’t think the whips will want her to take it without guarantees that the UKIP splinter group that got 6,000-odd votes in 2019 will stand again.

Although their views may be coloured by what happens in Hartlepool. If the Brexit vote doesn’t go Blue, they’ll be less worried about the Heavy Woollen Independents.
  • Options

Cookie said:

TimT said:

Scott_xP said:

Go to Dubai and you will see moderately sized souks where Gucci and Chanel are average knock-offs!
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,744
    edited April 2021
    Cookie said:

Cookie said:

TimT said:

Scott_xP said:

I'm not sure where Gucci or Chanel fit into the class spectrum. They're expensive, yes - but are they consumed by genuinely posh people?
    I saw a wonderful article recently about class markers of consumer products, centred around the glorious and genuine classlessness of the Henry Hoover. Henry is one of the few Brits genuinely at home in any social setting.
    Those brands are not for me, so I am not sure either, but do people aspire to the genuinely posh lifestyle or the exclusive brand lifestyle? I think the latter is more popular, even if people wont admit it.
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    Nigelb said:

MattW said:

In that case, things can only get better.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,335
    Leon said:

Lol

Go Woke, Go Broke

Not only have I not watched it, but I've read precisely zero news stories about it too.

I have no idea who was nominated or who won.

I don't care anymore.
  • Options
    I would like to thank Douglas Ross for the Labour revival in Scotland, nice work
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Lol

Go Woke, Go Broke

Indeed. But I am also sure Hollywood’s ever-growing obsession with inclusivity and diversity, plus the hypocritical lecturing and pomposity that goes with it - multimillionaire celebs sneering at the poor racist hicks who watch the movies - is not helping

Eg The big Oscar winning movie was all about homeless people. This year the Oscars were held in LA’s main train station, where 100s of homeless people usually kip.

The American movie industry is destroying itself. It was maybe doomed anyway, by TV, games and streaming but it is still a shame to watch
    Yes, it's the utter narcissism of it that gets me the most.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,995
    edited April 2021
    kle4 said:

Leon said:

This month I will have swum more than 2.4 miles, cycled at least 115 miles, and ran more than 26 miles.

I have lost about five kilos (since the beginning of 2021), and am at the same weight I have been for most of the 2000 to 2020 period.
  • Options
    Leon said:

kle4 said:

Leon said:

There was nothing else to do.
  • Options
    TimTTimT Posts: 6,328

Andy_JS said:

TimT said:

IanB2 said:

rcs1000 said:

Tucker Carlson is now telling his audience to harass people who wear face masks outside.

If they see children wearing masks, Tucker says the response should be no different than when you see a kid being abused -- "call the police immediately, contact child protective services"

The video is worth a watch just to demonstrate how batshit crazy some people have become.

I never understand this British sense of superiority over Americans. Like the UK has no-one as batshit crazy as the worst Americans. Or that the UK does not have its own set of batshit crazy issues.

Oh! Now I remember. They are not batshit crazy if they are British, they are just fun eccentrics. Or right wing scumbags. Or left-wing Corbynistas. Or ...
    The US has 4.2% of the world's population yet owns something like 48% of all the World's guns. Potty
    Any decent house in the US has 3 potties per person. Then additional ones at the workplace ;)
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,067
    TimT said:

Andy_JS said:

TimT said:

IanB2 said:

rcs1000 said:

Any decent house in the US has 3 potties per person. Then additional ones at the workplace ;)
    Why don't public toilets in America have doors that fit?
  • Options

gealbhan said:

I posted the whole Sky article, not Scott's edit and paste, and not only was Starmer's office aware of it last summer, but the intention was for any costs for the Downing Street Estate to be managed by a trust similar to the White Houses
    Don't be silly BigG. this is not the USA. Johnson will come up smelling of roses, but he really shouldn't.
  • Options
    FairlieredFairliered Posts: 3,988

kinabalu said:

Just checking out this Douglas Ross chap. First impression - not keen.

The whole Scottish election line-up is one of the least appetising elections I can remember.

Handily though covid means that it is also the most low-key election campaign ever. It's actually become hard to work out if there is even an election on if you avoid the odd TV debate.
    I would be expect a record low turnout, well below the 49.4% recorded in 2003. I assume it will benefit the Conservatives, due to postal voting, at the expense of the SNP, Greens and Labour, with younger voters not bothering. I would expect SNP voters particularly to stay at home, due to lack of emphasis on Independence.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

kle4 said:

Leon said:

This month I will have swum more than 2.4 miles, cycled at least 115 miles, and ran more than 26 miles.

I have lost about five kilos (since the beginning of 2021), and am at the same weight I have been for most of the 2000 to 2020 period.
    I cycled over 100 miles last week alone.

*Waits expectantly for @Dura_Ace to chime in with a much higher tally*
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,336
    Pro_Rata said:

Impressions:

I really like the system (seemingly common in Mayoral elections - is it legally required?) of sending everyone a booklet with all the candidates getting a shot. Seems much fairer and more genuniely helpful than having hundreds of volunteers slogging from door to door to deliver biased leaflets that most people chuck in the bin. (I speak with some feeling as someone who's been averaging thousands of steps a day for weeks delivering the bloody things.)
  • Options

Leon said:

Leon said:

Lol

Go Woke, Go Broke

The opening monologue referenced Chauvin and Floyd OF COURSE and it went on from there

They seem to have forgotten their job is to entertain not lecture, show don’t tell, or they are just so scared of being seen as UNwoke they feel obliged to virtue-signal at EVERY opportunity

It will end up with 0 viewers of “the most diverse list of nominations ever” when they manage to get a roster that has nobody white or male or Jewish or American and all the movies come from Kosovo and Somalia
  • Options
    Cookie said:

Cookie said:

TimT said:

Scott_xP said:

Is the Chanel couture?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

rcs1000 said:

kle4 said:

Leon said:

Ahhh... but I wanted to do Iron Man April - i.e. a whole Iron Man over the course of the month. My cycling is well down on March, but my swimming and running are up. (In the latter case, up from zero.)
  • Options

I would like to thank Douglas Ross for the Labour revival in Scotland, nice work

Actually I think Anas Sarwar may prove to be the surprise star of Holyrood 21 and had I still lived in Scotland I would have tactically voted Labour

However, for Labour to cut through they need to attract SNP voters who are much closer politically to them, and were the natural home of my late father in law and the fishermen of the North East
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Lol

Go Woke, Go Broke

The opening monologue referenced Chauvin and Floyd OF COURSE and it went on from there

They seem to have forgotten their job is to entertain not lecture, show don’t tell, or they are just so scared of being seen as UNwoke they feel obliged to virtue-signal at EVERY opportunity

It will end up with 0 viewers of “the most diverse list of nominations ever” when they manage to get a roster that has nobody white or male or Jewish or American and all the movies come from Kosovo and Somalia
    It's cover. They're doing it so they don't personally get criticised, but others do.

However, if it starts to directly affect their own career, you can be sure they'll start to grumble.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Lol

Go Woke, Go Broke

Has it really changed all that much? I remember an episode of South Park from like 10 years ago at least about smug actor Oscar speeches talking about being progressive.
  • Options

gealbhan said:

Don't be silly BigG. this is not the USA. Johnson will come up smelling of roses, but he really shouldn't.
    Preserving no 10 for the nation and successive prime ministers seems sensible to me
  • Options

If it led to a net rise in Unionist support it would be a job well done by Ross even if he did not personally benefit.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,433
    rcs1000 said:

TimT said:

@rcs1000 BTW, tried the Impossible 'meat' in pasta last night. I thought it was perfectly ok, and would be willing to do it, say, once a week in place of meat. My wife, though, said the pasta with the tomato sauces sans Impossible was way better. If she could not have meat, she'd rather not have Impossible. So saying, she picked all the Impossible out of her bowl.

Wow. She really didn't like it :smile:

Try with Beyond and see if you like it more.
    Why? TimT strikes me as someone who, through his endeavours, is wealthy enough to afford to eat good meat - and meat which has been farmed in a healthy way that benefits the land on which it is farmed. Doing so will do a lot more for his and his family's health than spending a day a week eating some mass-produced gloop.

Convincing people that eating your product is virtuous and not doing so is a sin has got to be one of the best bits of marketing I've ever seen. Selling cigarettes to women in the '20's by making them into a symbol of female emancipation has nothing on it for sheer cynicism.
  • Options

gealbhan said:

Preserving no 10 for the nation and successive prime ministers seems sensible to me
    If it were that innocent why has the party acted so evasive and weird about it? Questions from opponents will always arise, but their behaviour has fed that.
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623

I would be expect a record low turnout, well below the 49.4% recorded in 2003. I assume it will benefit the Conservatives, due to postal voting, at the expense of the SNP, Greens and Labour, with younger voters not bothering. I would expect SNP voters particularly to stay at home, due to lack of emphasis on Independence.

I don't remember feeling quite so flat about one for a while.

Although I wouldn't say the SNP are being particularly negative in their campaigning, their positive campaigning is all slightly desperate magic money tree stuff. They are demonstrating negativity internally, there's quite a bit of control freakery, they look every bit a party running out of steam in government and the wider indy movement is fractured, because they've - deliberately, is the only credible answer - not attempted to progress any of their thinking on independence one iota across the entire length of the last parliament, so they have no answers to the obvious questions. They seem happy to keep doing what they're doing, gradualism on independence to the point of reversal now but mentioning the word just enough to rally the increasingly sceptical troops, all the while knowing their besties the Greens are there to catch them if they're a bit short of a majority.

The SCons have nothing other than saying no to indyref2, which they will still say no to regardless of what the result is, so, meh.

Labour are still in the mire, only thing you can say is Sarwar is very slightly more visible than Reginald Leopard, but that is not much praise. I believe SLab's best bet for recovery would be post any realisation independence is not going to happen, which means actively getting that resolved rather than postponing it by shrilly opposing it with every step. They could basically take a neutral view of "let the people decide", and then when - on balance of probability on current polling - No wins again they might recover some status once the SNP bubble finally bursts/properly splits, but that's only really going to happen after another indyref, it looks. Certainly, trying to occupy the same space as both SCon and the Lib Dems on it isn't working for them.

The Scottish Greens - they've found a way to maximise their influence without really doing anything to deserve it. So politically clever, but wouldn't piss on them if they were on fire.

The Lib Dems - who? What do they stand for? They don't seem to know other than SCon-lite no-to-indyref2.

Being pro-indy but frustrated with the SNP, I'm pleased Alba came along, but it's been too late to make much of a dent particularly with this campaign, this is the campaign where momentum goes to die. I fancy they will get a small number of seats but not much more than that. They might have made more impact had they not got shut out of the TV debates, and on the odd poll there is a glimmer of a justification to include them but on too many other polls if you include them then you have to look at Galloway's All For Unity schtick and even then there'd be the next smaller list party bitching they were left off.

So in summary: total shitshow.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,953
    We're about to close another day where Downing St has failed to answer some very simple questions about the PM's financial affairs.

1) Did he borrow money from the Tory Party to pay for the refurbishment?
    2) If so for how long?
    3) If so who provided the donation?

https://twitter.com/lewis_goodall/status/1387135393099915267
  • Options
    kle4 said:

gealbhan said:

If it were that innocent why has the party acted so evasive and weird about it? Questions from opponents will always arise, but their behaviour has fed that.
    I cannot disagree but Labour were involved last year and have not admitted being involved in the discussions
  • Options
    Annoyingly I will now have to start doing lateral flow tests or whatever they are called, as part of the run up to assisting with the upcoming elections. I assume those are the simple ones which are not unpleasant.
  • Options
    edited April 2021

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Lol

Go Woke, Go Broke

It's cover. They're doing it so they don't personally get criticised, but others do.

However, if it starts to directly affect their own career, you can be sure they'll start to grumble.
    Yes, there will be a pinch point when the movies earn so little they finally think Well maybe one of the problems is that we’ve pushed the Woke stuff a bit too much?

The American movie biz has another, maybe bigger problem, The world’s biggest movie market is now China. If you want a movie to max out its box office, it has to work there as well - or even mostly. Until a few years ago US movies did well in China

Not any more. China now makes excellent movies for its own audience and they are tuning out of Hollywood. I doubt Chinese audiences will be won back by politically correct diatribes masquerading as cinema

It may seem a trivial point, but so much of American soft power is - or was - bound up with the supremacy of Hollywood. The American century and the hegemony of Hollywood coincided perfectly.

They began, and now they end, at the same time

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/its-official-china-overtakes-north-america-as-worlds-biggest-box-office-in-2020

https://www.boxofficepro.com/eight-hundred-china-2020-box-office/
  • Options
    .@BorisJohnson is a genius at deflecting and stonewalling allegations made against him of inappropriate conduct and worse. But deflection and obfuscation don’t work when money changes hands. Because there is an audit trail. That is why the questions about when, why and...

how much he borrowed from the Tory Party are not going to stop, until all the details are in the public domain. I don’t understand why he and the cabinet secretary are prolonging the agony for himself and the government. It is just odd

https://twitter.com/Peston/status/1387111858595942400
  • Options
    Despite having gotten into cycling last year, I also got into depression. Sertraline controlled my pogoing mental state but killed off my interest in cycling and has made me balloon.

Now on day 2 of half sertraline rations and feeling ok, a couple of weeks to wean myself off and then back to burning this weight off.

I needed the brain pills - *really* needed them. But the appetite / weight side effect has been harsh.
  • Options
    TimTTimT Posts: 6,328
    ydoethur said:

rcs1000 said:

kle4 said:

Leon said:

OK. Time for me to get back on the Concept II and Peleton so I can come to the party with some impressive stats.
  • Options
    Where dependency on Beijing takes you - servitude:

Clive Hamilton, professor of public ethics at Charles Sturt University in Canberra, who has written widely on China’s growing influence in the region, told The Times: “There are now real questions about New Zealand’s sovereignty, which is spilling into the Five Eyes alliance.

“Five Eyes can’t work without complete trust between the partners. New Zealand has become the weakest link.”

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/beijing-is-driving-a-wedge-between-australia-and-new-zealand-pkcsnmc2j
  • Options

gealbhan said:

But he's not preserving it for the nation, he is decorating it for his girlfriend. Theresa May's John Lewis January Sale offering was only a year or two old anyway. How often do you redecorate? Mind you Mrs May's decor was very....beige.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,970
    Sign of normality. After losing the whole of last season to Covid. Youngest very excited for start of under 18's cricket season tonight...
    Cancelled due to rain.
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 4,978

Pro_Rata said:

Impressions:

I really like the system (seemingly common in Mayoral elections - is it legally required?) of sending everyone a booklet with all the candidates getting a shot. Seems much fairer and more genuniely helpful than having hundreds of volunteers slogging from door to door to deliver biased leaflets that most people chuck in the bin. (I speak with some feeling as someone who's been averaging thousands of steps a day for weeks delivering the bloody things.)
    The London Mayoral booklet is a bit of a long read I have to say. One rather puzzling aspect of the under-publicised campaign by Brian Rose: his first pledge is to abolish the Congestion Charge and launch a 31-day festival. Does that mean that people will celebrate its abolition by joining a traffic jam lasting 31days?
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,179

Clive Hamilton, professor of public ethics at Charles Sturt University in Canberra, who has written widely on China’s growing influence in the region, told The Times: “There are now real questions about New Zealand’s sovereignty, which is spilling into the Five Eyes alliance.

“Five Eyes can’t work without complete trust between the partners. New Zealand has become the weakest link.”

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/beijing-is-driving-a-wedge-between-australia-and-new-zealand-pkcsnmc2j

Surely not Saint Jacinda ? The greatest living politician, who we’d be lucky to have running our country !,
  • Options

But he's not preserving it for the nation, he is decorating it for his girlfriend.

Current girlfriend
  • Options

gealbhan said:

But he's not preserving it for the nation, he is decorating it for his girlfriend. Theresa May's John Lewis January Sale offering was only a year or two old anyway. How often do you redecorate? Mind you Mrs May's decor was very....beige.
    Most everyone redecorated when they move into a home
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,298
    edited April 2021
    Scott_xP said:

.@BorisJohnson is a genius at deflecting and stonewalling allegations made against him of inappropriate conduct and worse. But deflection and obfuscation don’t work when money changes hands. Because there is an audit trail. That is why the questions about when, why and...

how much he borrowed from the Tory Party are not going to stop, until all the details are in the public domain. I don’t understand why he and the cabinet secretary are prolonging the agony for himself and the government. It is just odd

https://twitter.com/Peston/status/1387111858595942400

Peston saying things are odd needs to look in the mirror
  • Options
    Why doesn't BoJo just say who paid for the flat?
  • Options
    Tories are starting to get a bit twitchy about why the PM doesn’t just clear up, once and for all, how the flat redecoration was paid for

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/apr/26/pressure-mounts-on-boris-johnson-over-alleged-let-the-bodies-pile-high-remarks?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other
  • Options

gealbhan said:

I don't think the flats in 10-11 Downing Street are suitable, and successive PMs (and their wives) tarting it up just masks the problem. The flat could be used for a Downing Street functionary of some kind (is there a house manager or something?) and the PM should have a more spacious abode nearby. I honestly think it's not healthy to live above the shop as they do. The flat appears small, but I think the lack of psychological separation between home and work, and the lack of access to a garden (except through the office) concerns me more. You can say they have Chequers but you don't commute in and out from Chequers each day. This is something in which the PM gets a rougher deal than MPs in my opinion.
  • Options
    franklynfranklyn Posts: 297
    There have been a few photos of the decoration of Boris's flat in Downing Street. It looks unspeakably awful. No doubt when he goes it will cost a fortune for it all to be stripped out, because I don't think any normal person could now live in it. Apparently the dog regularly craps on the carpet, so the whole place will need a deep clean. Who pays for all that...us poor taxpayers I suppose
  • Options
    gealbhangealbhan Posts: 2,362
    kle4 said:

gealbhan said:

Yeah that’s a point.

“If who funded it isn’t a problem, why don’t you just say who funded it then?” Is what is feeding the media, neither Dom or Labour prolonging this now, just the conservative Party itself.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Lol

Go Woke, Go Broke

Yes, there will be a pinch point when the movies earn so little they finally think Well maybe one of the problems is that we’ve pushed the Woke stuff a bit too much?

The American movie biz has another, maybe bigger problem, The world’s biggest movie market is now China. If you want a movie to max out its box office, it has to work there as well - or even mostly. Until a few years ago US movies did well in China

Not any more. China now makes excellent movies for its own audience and they are tuning out of Hollywood. I doubt Chinese audiences will be won back by politically correct diatribes masquerading as cinema

It may seem a trivial point, but so much of American soft power is - or was - bound up with the supremacy of Hollywood. The American century and the hegemony of Hollywood coincided perfectly.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/its-official-china-overtakes-north-america-as-worlds-biggest-box-office-in-2020

We are entering an age of a multipolar world.

Quite frankly, China needs to be cut-off and isolated - economically, politically, culturally and militarily - they are far too dangerous to be allowed a free-hand in the global system.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    kle4 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Lol

Go Woke, Go Broke

Has it really changed all that much? I remember an episode of South Park from like 10 years ago at least about smug actor Oscar speeches talking about being progressive.
    Its always been like that, for as long as I remember. The idea its new is amusing.

Speaking of the Oscars and South Park, they were robbed not to get the Oscar for "Blame Canada", much more better than Tarzan.
  • Options

Pro_Rata said:

Impressions:

Seems worth the cost for locals and parliamentaries, frankly. I certainly cannot say leafleting is entirely pointless, and it has had an effect on me in terms of showing who is making an effort, but for one it doesn't happen as universally as the more active places think it does so its effects are more limited than they think, and two, a booklet would be more efficient and probably worth the cost.

What surprises me is the local parties have all prepared local manifestoes this time, with varying relevance to things they can actually influence at local level, and I cannot really figure out why they bothered, as those candidates who are active online don't ever seem to reference the damn things.
  • Options

gealbhan said:

And most of us either did it ourselves or paid for it ourselves ab initio.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,109
    Since I’ve noticed recent flickers of ‘maybe Sweden was right all along’..

https://twitter.com/anwallstrom/status/1386957702925012992?s=21
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,970

Despite having gotten into cycling last year, I also got into depression. Sertraline controlled my pogoing mental state but killed off my interest in cycling and has made me balloon.

Now on day 2 of half sertraline rations and feeling ok, a couple of weeks to wean myself off and then back to burning this weight off.

I needed the brain pills - *really* needed them. But the appetite / weight side effect has been harsh.

Good luck.
    Advice from one who has done it.
    Take the tapering very seriously, resolve to come off altogether. But don't over hurry.
    Coming off is tough but worth it eventually.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Lol

Go Woke, Go Broke

What I found funny was the tastes of Chinese audiences - I think things like Fast and the Furious made big bucks, but Star Wars they turn their noses up at.

I look forward to when they start releasing English language films. Noodle Westerns?
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

But he's not preserving it for the nation, he is decorating it for his girlfriend.

Current girlfriend
    The next one may also like it, if she is not already in place.
  • Options
    Taz said:

Surely not Saint Jacinda ? The greatest living politician, who we’d be lucky to have running our country !,
    I expect she signals furiously about the right stuff domestically in New Zealand, maybe even attacking easy targets - like British colonial history, but stays utterly silent about the Uighurs and repression in Hong Kong.

That's the banal emptiness of the age we live in, and it will be our downfall.
  • Options

gealbhan said:

For a man who famously drove around in a beaten up 25 year old Toyota Previa and a beaten up 20 year old Ford Focus, both of which were forensically inspected by tabloid journalists, who detected through the windows assorted detritus including food waste.

I doubt whether Johnson would have noticed the decor had he been housed by HMG in an H block cell, rather than Theresa May's underwhelming flat.
  • Options
    Govt defeated for 4th time in Lords over plans for who pays for cladding costs. Back to the Commons it goes. The 2 houses fundamentally disagree over who should foot cladding bill. Govt under pressure to get Fire Safety Bill through before the end of the parly session on Thurs.
    https://twitter.com/SarahCorkerNews/status/1387136059222499332

Why don't they just ask a rich donor to pay?
  • Options

Sorry to hear that. Side effects can be a real kicker sometimes.
  • Options
    Update on DUP vs Arlene Foster.

My understanding is 80%+ of DUP’s electoral college now signed letter of “no confidence” in Foster & her team. They also want to remove senior advisor Emma Little-Pengelly, party chief exec Timothy Johnston, & director of comms John Robinson.

https://twitter.com/PeterAdamSmith/status/1387140600181501957
  • Options
    TONIGHT: As Boris Johnson continues to come under scrutiny over allegations around his conduct, Labour accuses the PM of lying over the costs of his flat refurbishment. https://bbc.in/2PrJInh

Labour MP & Shadow Communities Secretary @SteveReedMP joins us to discuss

#Newsnight https://twitter.com/BBCNewsnight/status/1387142959221645312/photo/1
  • Options

I understand. I was there in February and March.

I turned a corner once lockdown lifted, and the clocks/ weather turned.
  • Options
    FairlieredFairliered Posts: 3,988

I don't remember feeling quite so flat about one for a while.

Although I wouldn't say the SNP are being particularly negative in their campaigning, their positive campaigning is all slightly desperate magic money tree stuff. They are demonstrating negativity internally, there's quite a bit of control freakery, they look every bit a party running out of steam in government and the wider indy movement is fractured, because they've - deliberately, is the only credible answer - not attempted to progress any of their thinking on independence one iota across the entire length of the last parliament, so they have no answers to the obvious questions. They seem happy to keep doing what they're doing, gradualism on independence to the point of reversal now but mentioning the word just enough to rally the increasingly sceptical troops, all the while knowing their besties the Greens are there to catch them if they're a bit short of a majority.

The SCons have nothing other than saying no to indyref2, which they will still say no to regardless of what the result is, so, meh.

Labour are still in the mire, only thing you can say is Sarwar is very slightly more visible than Reginald Leopard, but that is not much praise. I believe SLab's best bet for recovery would be post any realisation independence is not going to happen, which means actively getting that resolved rather than postponing it by shrilly opposing it with every step. They could basically take a neutral view of "let the people decide", and then when - on balance of probability on current polling - No wins again they might recover some status once the SNP bubble finally bursts/properly splits, but that's only really going to happen after another indyref, it looks. Certainly, trying to occupy the same space as both SCon and the Lib Dems on it isn't working for them.

The Scottish Greens - they've found a way to maximise their influence without really doing anything to deserve it. So politically clever, but wouldn't piss on them if they were on fire.

The Lib Dems - who? What do they stand for? They don't seem to know other than SCon-lite no-to-indyref2.

Being pro-indy but frustrated with the SNP, I'm pleased Alba came along, but it's been too late to make much of a dent particularly with this campaign, this is the campaign where momentum goes to die. I fancy they will get a small number of seats but not much more than that. They might have made more impact had they not got shut out of the TV debates, and on the odd poll there is a glimmer of a justification to include them but on too many other polls if you include them then you have to look at Galloway's All For Unity schtick and even then there'd be the next smaller list party bitching they were left off.

So in summary: total shitshow.
    Excellent summary, Solarflare. I was surprisingly impressed with Willie Rennie’s PPB this evening. I wonder if he will pick up some votes from Tories disillusioned with their unremitting negativity and no policies other than no Indyref. I wonder whether @RochdalePioneers has picked up any clues?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

gealbhan said:

And most of us either did it ourselves or paid for it ourselves ab initio.
    Steady on, Doethur, any more latin sprinkled about and we'll think you are Boris - it would explain the Dom and Gove hatred.
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    kle4 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Lol

Go Woke, Go Broke

What I found funny was the tastes of Chinese audiences - I think things like Fast and the Furious made big bucks, but Star Wars they turn their noses up at.

I look forward to when they start releasing English language films. Noodle Westerns?
    Hard to know whether that's the people or the Communist party (though I appreciate for the most part that Chinese people seem to be very 'pro' PRC). Can't imagine films about evil empires being brought down are given a very easy ride over there.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,548
    Weird framing on C4 news tonight.

UK delivery of ventilators to India is "a humiliation for President Modi".

• Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,548

ydoethur said:

IanB2 said:

But Foster is biscuit.

Question- because I don't have a clue about NI;

Is the problem with Arlene Foster that she's too terrible, or not terrible enough?
    That she does not know when bits of the past of her party have become untenable and need to be abandoned.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,996
    Stocky said:

One for the conspiracy theorists: BBC News has just prefaced the 17 deaths by solemnly warning the audience that “these numbers are often lower on a Monday”.

That’s the most misleading framing ever. In fact, the reported deaths when reported on a Tuesday (which notionally relate to Monday) are usually the highest of any day of the week.

Are they actually incapable of reporting good news?

I've had enough of this. I'm complaining to BBC and suggest that others join me in doing so.
    I’m not normally the complaining type but that really got my goat. Just utterly misleading.
This discussion has been closed.