Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

My “Jo Biden Day 100” approval rating bet now looking touch and go – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    DeClareDeClare Posts: 483
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

More Britons now want Prince Charles to be the next King than William, 37% favour Charles and 34% favour William.

The Queen now at +76%, William at +68%, Kate at +67%, Charles at +25%, Harry at -6% and Meghan at -32%.

No D of E this time for obvious sad reasons
    https://twitter.com/YouGov/status/1387063461188980748?s=20

Did they ask about the Princess Royal as next sovereign?

Also - that is a massive anti-monarchy majority as the UK monarchy by definition involves male primogeniture.

Just Primogeniture.

The Agnatic Cognatic element was abolished a few years ago.
    Oh, thanks. But obviously not completely yet.
    William's daughter Charlotte is higher in the line of succession than her younger brother Louis, so it has already started to kick in,
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,526
    rcs1000 said:

Tucker Carlson is now telling his audience to harass people who wear face masks outside.

If they see children wearing masks, Tucker says the response should be no different than when you see a kid being abused -- "call the police immediately, contact child protective services"

https://twitter.com/justinbaragona/status/1386837979453399049

The video is worth a watch just to demonstrate how batshit crazy some people have become.

By people, you mean americans. No one that idiotic over here, afaik.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    Stocky said:

Stocky said:

Stocky said:

Stocky said:

Stocky said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Lawrence Fox and Richard Tice buying a pub together called 'The Fox and Tice.'

There will be no facemasks needed by customers and no vaccine passports required

https://twitter.com/PoliticsForAlI/status/1387031065202671617?s=20

So just like everywhere else from late June then...
    I suspect there will be facemasks still required in some pubs, certainly inside and until all are vaccinated
    Not from 21 June without breaching road map. If pubs do this it will be through their choice and they will get a stinging TripAdviser review from me if they do.
    ALL RESTRICTIONS will end on 21st June. Boris has said so.

In the real world, when they have to pull back from this utterly arbitrary declaration there will be hell to pay.

Not that I care. I have just booked train tickets for my son to come and visit once we drop into level 2 on 17th May. But which point I won't have seen him in 7 months. Can't wait!
    All LEGAL restrictions - it says.

So wearing of masks etc will not be legally enforced and I don't expect the government to renege on this.

However - my concern is that voluntary guidance will still be issued and despite this being voluntary only businesses and the like will continue to act as though they are legal requirements and, in effect, make them mandatory. The effect will be that we drag our heels from these restrictions at a slower pace that is necessary and businesses should be called out for this in some way.
    I almost with you.

There should be no legal restrictions and businesses should make their own choice that suits their own customers and their own needs.

If businesses customers don't want masks etc then it will be good business not to demand them.

But I don't think anyone should be "called out". It should be private choice. If a premise wants to go slower, for whatever reason, then so long as it's their choice then I respect that. I may shop elsewhere but there's no reason to call them out, be harsh on TripAdvisor or anything else so long as they're clear and upfront about expectation.

The overwhelming majority of businesses should and will do what the customers want.
    What you are basically saying is that businesses should be able to prescribe their own rules, including attire and perhaps even seeking medical information, even when such requirements are not legally required. Liberal democracy? What about minority view, when that minority view is perfectly legal?

What will happen is that the raft of commercial virtue-signalling will endure when it need not and fear will endure in the community when it need not.
    What I'm saying is that if a firm is free to say a shirt must be worn, if a firm is free to say trainers can't be worn, then they should be free to say that masks must be. If they choose to do so that's their free choice.

Saying that firms are not permitted to require it is every bit as illiberal as saying that firms must require it.

If firms "virtue signal" in a way their customers dislike they'll lose business to those that don't. Their choice.
    I get you - you are forwarding a libertarian point of view and giving corporate entities equal weighting re liberties with individual actors. This is way more important than shirts and trainers though, PT.

Just talking your custom elsewhere is not sufficient in my view. I'd like the government at least to make it clear that restrictions are voluntary from 21 June and absolutely not required so that at least someone like me can challenge said businesses with some weight.
    Challenge them how? Arguing with staff is about the least productive and rudest way to deal with most premises.

An email that you intend to take your business elsewhere will tend to be much more productive.
    I wouldn't argue with anyone like that. Yes, an email would be the route.
    Definitely.

One final thought, for too long in this pandemic we've had the state telling people what to do.

We need to get back to people deciding for themselves what they want to do. No unnecessary regulations.

Banning masks is as unnecessary as requiring them. People need to be able to think for themselves.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,526
    felix said:

ClippP said:

I have been out canvassing in various parts of the Totnes constituency the past few weeks. Many hundreds of voters met. What is really striking is that very, very few people have changed their vote from the 2019 General. A few ex-Tories returning to the fold, who in 2019 were staying with a personal loyalty to Sarah Wollaston. But otherwise, those who love Boris still love Boris, those who hate Boris still hate Boris.
    Please file under #Anecdote:ForWhatIt'sWorth

I though our magnificent government had prohibited all canvassing in these elections. Was there a special dispensation for Conservative canvassers?
    Not for the first time you are wrong.
    Nevertheless polling shows that most people would rather not receive doorstep election visits during the pandemic, so it is relatively brave of those candidates who have decided to press ahead. Here campaigning so far has been exclusively leaflet only.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,784
    edited April 2021
  • Options
    Nigel_ForemainNigel_Foremain Posts: 13,791
    felix said:

Scott_xP said:
    Haha, he is a remainer, just like all of Boris Johnsons family!

You have a remainer's decor! I’ll wager your flat has never been used as a rowing-boat. I’ll wager it’s never had sixteen shipwrecked mariners (leavers from Hartlepool) tossing in it. (with apols to Blackadder)
    And clearly one who has moved on with his life - unlike you..
    The rapier wit of a Boris Johnson apologist clearly on show today. Did you come second in the "wit of the year award" when there were only two applicants?
  • Options
    TimTTimT Posts: 6,328
    IanB2 said:

rcs1000 said:

Tucker Carlson is now telling his audience to harass people who wear face masks outside.

If they see children wearing masks, Tucker says the response should be no different than when you see a kid being abused -- "call the police immediately, contact child protective services"

The video is worth a watch just to demonstrate how batshit crazy some people have become.

I never understand this British sense of superiority over Americans. Like the UK has no-one as batshit crazy as the worst Americans. Or that the UK does not have its own set of batshit crazy issues.

Oh! Now I remember. They are not batshit crazy if they are British, they are just fun eccentrics. Or right wing scumbags. Or left-wing Corbynistas. Or ...
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,736

Stocky said:

Stocky said:

Stocky said:

Stocky said:

Stocky said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

There will be no facemasks needed by customers and no vaccine passports required

I suspect there will be facemasks still required in some pubs, certainly inside and until all are vaccinated
    Not from 21 June without breaching road map. If pubs do this it will be through their choice and they will get a stinging TripAdviser review from me if they do.

In the real world, when they have to pull back from this utterly arbitrary declaration there will be hell to pay.

Not that I care. I have just booked train tickets for my son to come and visit once we drop into level 2 on 17th May. But which point I won't have seen him in 7 months. Can't wait!

So wearing of masks etc will not be legally enforced and I don't expect the government to renege on this.

However - my concern is that voluntary guidance will still be issued and despite this being voluntary only businesses and the like will continue to act as though they are legal requirements and, in effect, make them mandatory. The effect will be that we drag our heels from these restrictions at a slower pace that is necessary and businesses should be called out for this in some way.
    I almost with you.

There should be no legal restrictions and businesses should make their own choice that suits their own customers and their own needs.

If businesses customers don't want masks etc then it will be good business not to demand them.

But I don't think anyone should be "called out". It should be private choice. If a premise wants to go slower, for whatever reason, then so long as it's their choice then I respect that. I may shop elsewhere but there's no reason to call them out, be harsh on TripAdvisor or anything else so long as they're clear and upfront about expectation.

The overwhelming majority of businesses should and will do what the customers want.
    What you are basically saying is that businesses should be able to prescribe their own rules, including attire and perhaps even seeking medical information, even when such requirements are not legally required. Liberal democracy? What about minority view, when that minority view is perfectly legal?

What will happen is that the raft of commercial virtue-signalling will endure when it need not and fear will endure in the community when it need not.
    What I'm saying is that if a firm is free to say a shirt must be worn, if a firm is free to say trainers can't be worn, then they should be free to say that masks must be. If they choose to do so that's their free choice.

Saying that firms are not permitted to require it is every bit as illiberal as saying that firms must require it.

If firms "virtue signal" in a way their customers dislike they'll lose business to those that don't. Their choice.
    I get you - you are forwarding a libertarian point of view and giving corporate entities equal weighting re liberties with individual actors. This is way more important than shirts and trainers though, PT.

Just talking your custom elsewhere is not sufficient in my view. I'd like the government at least to make it clear that restrictions are voluntary from 21 June and absolutely not required so that at least someone like me can challenge said businesses with some weight.
    Challenge them how? Arguing with staff is about the least productive and rudest way to deal with most premises.

An email that you intend to take your business elsewhere will tend to be much more productive.
    I wouldn't argue with anyone like that. Yes, an email would be the route.
    Definitely.

One final thought, for too long in this pandemic we've had the state telling people what to do.

We need to get back to people deciding for themselves what they want to do. No unnecessary regulations.

Banning masks is as unnecessary as requiring them. People need to be able to think for themselves.
    PT, just to clarify, I'm not advocating banning masks. Individuals should be able to do as they like as long as it is within legal limits. I'm merely saying that businesses (who I don't put on an equal footing as individuals) should not be insisting on something that is legally not required.

Like you, I'm all for the state not telling people what to do it's just that, especially in these circumstances, businesses have a different level of rights and responsibilities.
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,505
    Nigelb said:

Endillion said:

Selebian said:

Endillion said:

moonshine said:

FPT - Philip
    “In decreasing order of plausibility:

1: They said something innocent that is misconstrued by loons to be aliens.
    2: They said something dishonest for a political agenda, eg to get more money to Defence.
    3: Some other explanation.
    98: They are loons.
    99: Mulder was right, the truth is out there”

It’s a nice sunny day and it’s always good fun to sit and chat about the Great Filter, the Drake Equation, the Dark Forest etc... even better with a cider in hand.

There’s a more immediate question that I was hoping this forum of political experts could help me with? Why in the last year have a quite unusual collection of senior US political figures gone on the record to make quite extraordinary claims about UFOs? And started a very major congressional study into the topic, that has now squarely caught the attention of the US mainstream media?

The statements include there being A LOT of multi point evidence (including satellite visuals, radar, sonar, close range videos) of them being tangible intelligently controlled, high tech objects (rather than glitches or misidentified balloons). That they can break the sound barrier without causing sonic booms? Can pull G force in the many hundreds. Leave no visible infrared signature from a propulsion system? Can traverse easily between air and water. That they interfere quite regularly with US military assets. That the US does not have air superiority over its own landmass AND UFO’S HAVE EVEN REMOTELY DEACTIVATED US NUKES.

Philip prefers to not engage his brain with this topic rather than look carefully at what is being said by whom. Fair enough. It’s a hard topic.

As for the rest of you, if this is all made up, what possible reason is there for such a conspiracy between political adversaries? Because that conspiracy itself would be the story of our time too.

So the theory is that aliens flew to Earth across uncountable billions of miles of space to... screw with us?

Or, more precisely, to screw with just one country on Earth?

Why?
    I should note that I remain a sceptic, but consider it from the opposite angle. We do send probes out to other planets/beyond to see what's there. As we get more advanced and have mapped out more of the solar system, we'll likely send things much further. These will be, initially at least, autonomous/pre-programmed (as there would be too much lag to control directly) and will send data back. If we happen to visit, remotely, a planet with life on then it will initially be with relatively small craft taking images, spectroscopic analyses of the surface etc. Now at present these are slow, lumbering rovers, but if we came to suspect that there was potentially intelligent life on another planet, we'd probably want to do some surveillance with something fast moving and hard to spot, to see what we were encountering before announcing ourselves. It would be a long period before we were able to act on any data received by sending further probes or a manned mission (as the probes/spacecraft would take a long time to get there after we decided to send them). Things flopping about on Earth with no followup is not a ridiculous thing to happen if there was to be surveillance from alien lifeforms.

However, reasonable questions in that case would be:
    - Why enter the atmosphere - can't it all be done remotely, from orbit? Plausible explanation - to actually gather some samples of air/earth/water etc
    - Why not better at hiding the probes from us? Plausible explanation - the probes are well hidden using the technologies on the originating planet (e.g. they're invisible in the part of the spectrum that organisms there can sense, they just happen to be visible at what we consider visible wavelengths).
    - Why is this mostly happening in the US? Well, the aliens are mostly picking up Netflix and Disney+/Hollywood output and so conclude that very little of interest happens outside the US :wink:

I still think there are many, many more likely explanations for what has been observed, but I don't think the apparent 'screwing with us' is, in itself, that odd if the explanation is more unlikely.
    I'm not buying that. If you can send unmanned probes to other systems with expectations of collecting useful data, you can also equip them with enough decision making protocols to stay out of range until you've figured out how good the life you're about to discover is at spotting your tech. Anyway, if this was true then a thousand amateurs would also have spotted the probes by now, not just the US military.

Also, given the convergent evolution on Earth wrt sight, I think it's a good bet that alien lifeforms would "see" the same way.
    It's a bit silly to think that civilisations capable of interstellar travel wouldn't image across the EM spectrum.

Along with more exotic stuff.
    I'm sure they would. But in terms of hiding tech? We're best at hiding aircraft at radar frequencies because that's what's most relevant here. That might be pretty irrelevant elsewhere.

Anyway, I guess the more salient question is whether its possible/necessary to hide any probes - if they move fast enough to evade capture, then being seen is not the end of the world, particularly if the studied civilisation has no means to come and visit you even if it worked out where you came from.

But I'm getting drawn into a discussion of hypotheticals here. I'm in agreement that alien visitation is a long way down the list of possible explanations. I'm just not convinced that the nature of the sightings is the best argument against it.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,170
    17 deaths recorded on a Tuesday.

Endgame.
  • Options
    Re: YouGov polling on keeping the monarchy. The age differentials are striking, but I suspect that's something that is typical in such polls (i.e. current oldies keep being more likely to support a republic in their youth) rather than a dramatic generational shift that will stick? In 2000, 40% of 18-24s are reported to have thought the UK would be better off without the monarchy (https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2000/jun/12/monarchy.alantravis) which is of course a different question, but for a cohort of 18-24 years olds now in the 39-45 bracket...
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,079
    TimT said:

IanB2 said:

rcs1000 said:

I never understand this British sense of superiority over Americans. Like the UK has no-one as batshit crazy as the worst Americans. Or that the UK does not have its own set of batshit crazy issues.

Oh! Now I remember. They are not batshit crazy if they are British, they are just fun eccentrics. Or right wing scumbags. Or left-wing Corbynistas. Or ...
    See, you do understand.
  • Options
    TimT said:

IanB2 said:

rcs1000 said:

I think the superiority has grown because of school shootings.

The UK had one school shooting and we said never again and took appropriate action to ensure it shouldn't happen again, meanwhile in America...
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    TimT said:

IanB2 said:

rcs1000 said:

The difference is that our bat-shit crazies don't have automatic weapons. A pretty damned big difference.
  • Options

17 deaths recorded on a Tuesday.

Endgame.

Yes, great news, 33 last Tuesday, looking back 231 6 Tuesdays ago (when I started recording the stats).
  • Options
    TimT said:

IanB2 said:

rcs1000 said:

Be fair, as bad as our media can be, there is nobody on British TV as absolutely batshit crazy as Tucker Carlson.

I'd rather listen to Kay Burley than Tucker Carlson and that says a lot.
  • Options
    FishingFishing Posts: 4,561
    TimT said:

IanB2 said:

rcs1000 said:

I agree, our loons are just as crazy as America's.

But less armed, thank God.

• Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

More Britons now want Prince Charles to be the next King than William, 37% favour Charles and 34% favour William.

The Queen now at +76%, William at +68%, Kate at +67%, Charles at +25%, Harry at -6% and Meghan at -32%.

Also - that is a massive anti-monarchy majority as the UK monarchy by definition involves male primogeniture.

It isn't, 63% want to keep the monarchy to only 20% who want a republic in the poll plus male primogeniture was abolished by the Succession to the Crown Act 2013
    OK, primogeniture alone - but anyone against the present Duke of Rothesay as heir is stil by definition against the monarchy full stop. You can't just pick
    and choose the latest celeb royal from Hello.
    Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

It isn't, 63% want to keep the monarchy to only 20% who want a republic in the poll plus male primogeniture was abolished by the Succession to the Crown Act 2013
    OK, primogeniture alone - but anyone against the present Duke of Rothesay as heir is stil by definition against the monarchy full stop. You can't just pick
    Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

But that's disproved by the abdication of Ed VIII. We just cracked on with George vi which in a way was like having the monarch appointed by Mrs Simpson.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,139

Scott_xP said:
    Ross is not important in Scotland , this could be the election that sees Anas Sarwar and Labour bounce back and they are likely to be far more damaging to the SNP and independence , than Ross and the conservatives
    LOL, I would not bet on that with your money never mind my own. Sarwar is crap.
  • Options
    JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 6,017
    IanB2 said:

felix said:

ClippP said:

I have been out canvassing in various parts of the Totnes constituency the past few weeks. Many hundreds of voters met. What is really striking is that very, very few people have changed their vote from the 2019 General. A few ex-Tories returning to the fold, who in 2019 were staying with a personal loyalty to Sarah Wollaston. But otherwise, those who love Boris still love Boris, those who hate Boris still hate Boris.
    Please file under #Anecdote:ForWhatIt'sWorth

I though our magnificent government had prohibited all canvassing in these elections. Was there a special dispensation for Conservative canvassers?
    Not for the first time you are wrong.
    Nevertheless polling shows that most people would rather not receive doorstep election visits during the pandemic, so it is relatively brave of those candidates who have decided to press ahead. Here campaigning so far has been exclusively leaflet only.
    Here campaigning has apparently been Facebook only. I've had the usual newsletters from Tory and LibDem which of course have been timed to coincide with the election, but no real election leaflets
  • Options
    kle4 said:

TimT said:

IanB2 said:

rcs1000 said:

See, you do understand.
    More seriously, it's two things - The noise and platform of the american crazies, and a defensive reaction against British cultural cringe toward the US.
  • Options
    boulayboulay Posts: 4,009
    Stocky said:

Stocky said:

Stocky said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

I almost with you.

In the summer do people accept it if a bar or restaurant demands that men must wear tops? You would think someone was nuts if they called the law to demand their right to sit in the premises without wearing a top - if a restaurant or bar makes dress rules then if you feel so strongly about their rules then you can go to somewhere that “more casual”.

Whilst it might be anti-libertarian then it’s surely as anti-libertarian that a business owner cannot decide what is acceptable on their property?

If a bar demands people wear masks they will likely lose loads of custom but maybe they figure they will get the custom of people who are very low risk and decide they want to carry on taking precautions.....
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125

felix said:

Scott_xP said:

You have a remainer's decor! I’ll wager your flat has never been used as a rowing-boat. I’ll wager it’s never had sixteen shipwrecked mariners (leavers from Hartlepool) tossing in it. (with apols to Blackadder)
    The rapier wit of a Boris Johnson apologist clearly on show today. Did you come second in the "wit of the year award" when there were only two applicants?
    Nerve hit, job done.
  • Options
    pingping Posts: 3,733
    Indian variant found in 18 countries
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125
    There are your diehard Laboutr voters.
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,678
    kjh said:

rcs1000 said:

His words on mask wearers outside:

'They are the aggressors'

'Your mask is repulsive'

'You are making me uncomfortable'

'As socially acceptable as lighting a Marlboro in an elevator'

And liberals are supposed to be the snowflakes?
    Especially like the bit about "lighting a Marlboro in an elevator" as I can well remember conservatives (such as Rush Limbaugh IIRC) banging on about how smoking bans were an assault against human liberty.
  • Options
    New tiled floor for Central Lobby.

Good job whilst the place was empty.

https://twitter.com/JAHeale/status/1386979151966527489

60,000 tiles.

The old ones are being sold off for about £100 each.

https://www.theartnewspaper.com/news/chunks-of-british-parliament-for-sale
  • Options

TimT said:

IanB2 said:

rcs1000 said:

The difference is that our bat-shit crazies don't have automatic weapons. A pretty damned big difference.
    Do the swiss have no crazy people I wonder? They have probably the most liberal gun laws in the world. I guess the difference is they train people how to use them as responsible citizens.
  • Options
    MattW said:

60,000 tiles.

Great, now just approve and release the funds to renovate the rest of the place already - it's a world heritage site even if not used, it could burn down at any moment, there'll never be a time when it is popular to spend lots of money on it so might as well do it now.
  • Options
    JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 6,017

Scott_xP said:

New - No 10 spokesman: “Any costs of wider refurbishment this year beyond those provided for by the annual allowance have been met by the PM personally. Conservative Party funds are not being used for this”

But we know they are now not "being" used, the q is were they ever used?

https://twitter.com/jessicaelgot/status/1387068205575938052

Yes, there are hilarious echoes of " I did NOT have sexual RELATIONS with that woman......Miss Lewinsky"
    Surely the head of the Conservative Party can be summoned to give testimony - under oath - on this? Say before a parliamentary inquiry?

To answer the question, were Conservative Party funds EVER paid out, loaned or anything else for the refurbishment of No. 10?

Definitely does sound like the Tory leader is channeling the ghost of Ron Ziegler . . .
    If the Conservative Party doesn't think the Prime Minister earns enough to live in the state that he would like, why don't they just pay him a salary as Party Leader?
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,631
    edited April 2021
    It's not Tony Blair it is Tony Hair.

https://twitter.com/PaulBrandITV/status/1387077917444825094

He looks like a rock star.
  • Options
    felix said:

felix said:

Scott_xP said:

Nerve hit, job done.
    hehe, you demonstrate it again sir! I do admire you diehard believers. Must be very nice to be so easy persuaded to follow so uncritically. Boris does love you.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:
    Said it before, I love Marina Hyde. Best bit:

‘Maybe Boris and Carrie planned to do an at-home photoshoot with Tatler or something, so the boring little Conservative party members with their supposedly “nightmare” John Lewis furniture could see what their party subscriptions had paid for. Or maybe some nice businessman was going to buy it all for them as a no-strings-attached present. We don’t know, as it hasn’t been comprehensively disclosed. What we do know is that when Peter Mandelson was revealed to have taken an undisclosed home loan, Telegraph columnist Boris Johnson was positively rapturous about his sacking: “In the Ministry of Sound,” he wrote, “the tank-topped bum boys blub into their Pils … for Mandy is dead, dead ere his prime!”’

Ooof!
  • Options

TimT said:

IanB2 said:

rcs1000 said:

Be fair, as bad as our media can be, there is nobody on British TV as absolutely batshit crazy as Tucker Carlson.

I not so sure about that
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

New - No 10 spokesman: “Any costs of wider refurbishment this year beyond those provided for by the annual allowance have been met by the PM personally. Conservative Party funds are not being used for this”

But we know they are now not "being" used, the q is were they ever used?

https://twitter.com/jessicaelgot/status/1387068205575938052

Yes, there are hilarious echoes of " I did NOT have sexual RELATIONS with that woman......Miss Lewinsky"
    Surely the head of the Conservative Party can be summoned to give testimony - under oath - on this? Say before a parliamentary inquiry?

To answer the question, were Conservative Party funds EVER paid out, loaned or anything else for the refurbishment of No. 10?

Definitely does sound like the Tory leader is channeling the ghost of Ron Ziegler . . .
    If the Conservative Party doesn't think the Prime Minister earns enough to live in the state that he would like, why don't they just pay him a salary as Party Leader?
    Personally think that state + private donations (highly monitored) could and should be used to renovate, refurbish, etc, etc, No. 10 Downing Street, as official & historic home of UK prime ministers. With perhaps a set allowance for incoming PMs.

Instead of making it a political football AND opportunity for land pirates to buy access & influence.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,103
    IanB2 said:

rcs1000 said:

*cough* Toby Young *cough*
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,170
    Stocky said:

Stocky said:

Stocky said:

Stocky said:

Stocky said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

I almost with you.

If you dont like their conditions of service, go elsewhere or even set up your own business.
    That's basically what PT is saying and I see this logic but for me businesses are in danger of hampering our route from this mess and prolonging and projection fear along the way.
    It's not the state's job to tell businesses how to act.

That's on their owners, managers, staff and customers.
    I'm more tolerant of state intervention in the market than you are and it is this ideological difference that separates us I think.
    It's a tricky one though. There are a fair few clubs in Mayfair where women can't wear flat shoes (they have to wear heels) and blokes aren't allowed to wear denim. Surely that's up to the owner under the ROAR principle? Personally I wouldn't want to got into a club or pub that demanded masks and I very much doubt they'll be very popular – but hard to see how one could stop them demanding them ini the same way that dress codes are legal and indeed commonplace.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 27,046
    "Jimi and the virtue of courage
    Why Folajimi Olubunmi-Adewole’s act of bravery has touched the nation."

https://www.spiked-online.com/2021/04/27/jimi-and-the-virtue-of-courage/
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Scott_xP said:
    Ross is not important in Scotland , this could be the election that sees Anas Sarwar and Labour bounce back and they are likely to be far more damaging to the SNP and independence , than Ross and the conservatives
    Not by the looks of it and he is the main player v SNP

Let's see after the election but indications are Nicola is not having a good campaign
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,447
    IanB2 said:

rcs1000 said:

There is a balance between reward (a child not infecting another person [another 4ft 2in person]) and risk (the psychological damage done to a child by wearing a mask).
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,166
    rcs1000 said:

IanB2 said:

rcs1000 said:

*cough* Toby Young *cough*
    In the old days, it used to be our rock stars who would try to crack America to make it big. Now it's our nutters who look on with envy at the lucrative US market.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

IanB2 said:

rcs1000 said:

There is a balance between reward (a child not infecting another person [another 4ft 2in person]) and risk (the psychological damage done to a child by wearing a mask).
    My experience of children is they love wearing masks.
  • Options
    TimT said:

IanB2 said:

rcs1000 said:

It's very unattractive. That's why I loathed the attitude of many (on here in particular) at the dismissal of Trump. OK he is a lunatic but millions upon millions of Americans voted for him and to dismiss him, and them, was a rather nasty but sadly all too typical trait of the Brits.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,007

Still the mane man.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

Scott_xP said:

Let's see after the election but indications are Nicola is not having a good campaign
    That is what happens when you try to make it about a person rather than the political party. Ego gone crazy.
  • Options

TimT said:

IanB2 said:

rcs1000 said:

Do the swiss have no crazy people I wonder? They have probably the most liberal gun laws in the world. I guess the difference is they train people how to use them as responsible citizens.
    I remember the Zug massacre, but mass shootings are not common in CH.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Still the mane man.
    As Sir Robin day might have said: A hair today gone tomorrow politician
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Scott_xP said:

That is what happens when you try to make it about a person rather than the political party. Ego gone crazy.
    On that we agree Malc

She has looked scared, irritated and almost angry at times and certainly not as assured as she used to be
  • Options
    edited April 2021

Stocky said:

Stocky said:

Stocky said:

Stocky said:

Stocky said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

I almost with you.

If you dont like their conditions of service, go elsewhere or even set up your own business.
    That's basically what PT is saying and I see this logic but for me businesses are in danger of hampering our route from this mess and prolonging and projection fear along the way.

I'm more tolerant of state intervention in the market than you are and it is this ideological difference that separates us I think.
    It's a tricky one though. There are a fair few clubs in Mayfair where women can't wear flat shoes (they have to wear heels) and blokes aren't allowed to wear denim. Surely that's up to the owner under the ROAR principle? Personally I wouldn't want to got into a club or pub that demanded masks and I very much doubt they'll be very popular – but hard to see how one could stop them demanding them ini the same way that dress codes are legal and indeed commonplace.
    We can't stop them demanding them but we can set them up to be ridiculed. The government should clearly state that masks, screens, gel, table limits, not eating with your mouth open etc is NOT required post 21 July. This is the norm, the default. Masks etc cannot be the default. Vaccinations = silver bullet remember.
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,361
    Stocky said:

Stocky said:

Stocky said:

Stocky said:

Stocky said:

Stocky said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

I almost with you.

We can't stop them demanding them but we can set them up to be ridiculed. The government should clearly state that masks, screens, gel, table limits, not eating with your mouth open etc is NOT required post 21 July. This is the norm, the default. Masks etc cannot be the default.

Of all,of those I’d make eating with your mouth open an imprisonable crime of up to ten years penal servitude for persistent offenders or loud chompers.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

IanB2 said:

rcs1000 said:

My experience of children is they love wearing masks.
    Is it medically necessary is also a question.

If a parent can, each time they are supposed to, say something like: "it's batman/wonderwoman/captain america time again...." then fine. Plenty will run out of steam to do so and you are left with a child who is being told that they, personally, are a threat to other people, and that people are scared of them and the world out there.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 28,035
    edited April 2021
    kle4 said:

dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

It isn't, 63% want to keep the monarchy to only 20% who want a republic in the poll
    Yes. But about half of them haven't fully thought it through.
    People not thinking about it counts as a win for a monarchy - it's why it still exists in Canada.
    Indeed. But the survey is pointless. If you support the Monarchy then who do you want to succeed? Is an irrelevant question. And if you don't the answer is nobody.

TimT said:

IanB2 said:

rcs1000 said:

Absolutely shed loads of guns in Canada.
    12.7 million at last count.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

MattW said:

60,000 tiles.

Great, now just approve and release the funds to renovate the rest of the place already - it's a world heritage site even if not used, it could burn down at any moment, there'll never be a time when it is popular to spend lots of money on it so might as well do it now.
    This piece of floor took 9 years :smile:
  • Options
    Taz said:

Stocky said:

Stocky said:

Stocky said:

Stocky said:

Stocky said:

Stocky said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

I almost with you.

We can't stop them demanding them but we can set them up to be ridiculed. The government should clearly state that masks, screens, gel, table limits, not eating with your mouth open etc is NOT required post 21 July. This is the norm, the default. Masks etc cannot be the default.

Of all,of those I’d make eating with your mouth open an imprisonable crime of up to ten years penal servitude for persistent offenders or loud chompers.
    Putting your knife in your mouth is the thing that makes me squirm most.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Scott_xP said:

On that we agree Malc

She has looked scared, irritated and almost angry at times and certainly not as assured as she used to be
    I thought he was referring to the fat toady looking bloke that needs the diversity training.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

kle4 said:

dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

It isn't, 63% want to keep the monarchy to only 20% who want a republic in the poll
    People not thinking about it counts as a win for a monarchy - it's why it still exists in Canada.
    Indeed. But the survey is pointless. If you support the Monarchy then who do you want to succeed? Is an irrelevant question. And if you don't the answer is nobody.

TimT said:

IanB2 said:

rcs1000 said:

But Canucks do NOT release their anger - frustration - craziness through firearms.

They do it with hockey!
  • Options
    TimT said:

IanB2 said:

rcs1000 said:

Oh, I agree completely.

I just find it so astonishing that something like this has become so politicised. It's a frickin' mask. It prevents you from passing - if you have it - Covid to someone else. If you or your kids wear a mask (as people with even mild colds will do in Japan), it's not child abuse, it's not offensive, it's a common courtesy.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 40,009
    DeClare said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Just Primogeniture.

William's daughter Charlotte is higher in the line of succession than her younger brother Louis, so it has already started to kick in,
    I was thinking of the Princess Royal. In any other walk of life that would be against the law, to exclude her from the line of succession.
  • Options
    contrariancontrarian Posts: 5,818

Eddie Temple, head gangster in Layer Cake.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

TimT said:

IanB2 said:

rcs1000 said:

Oh, I agree completely.

I just find it so astonishing that something like this has become so politicised. It's a frickin' mask. It prevents you from passing - if you have it - Covid to someone else. If you or your kids wear a mask (as people with even mild colds will do in Japan), it's not child abuse, it's not offensive, it's a common courtesy.
    It could be psychologically damaging to a child. How much? Who knows. But it is saying you are a threat to other people and must take action to prevent this.
  • Options

dixiedean said:

kle4 said:

dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

TimT said:

IanB2 said:

rcs1000 said:

But Canucks do NOT release their anger - frustration - craziness through firearms.

They do it with hockey!
    And the occasional strangled tut.
    Followed by a swift and heartfelt apology.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

kle4 said:

dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

TimT said:

IanB2 said:

rcs1000 said:

They do it with hockey!
    And the occasional strangled tut.
    Followed by a swift and heartfelt apology.
    Anyone who has been to the memorial at Vimy Ridge will know they are probably among the bravest in the world!
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    TOPPING said:

rcs1000 said:

TimT said:

IanB2 said:

rcs1000 said:

Oh, I agree completely.

It could be psychologically damaging to a child. How much? Who knows. But it is saying you are a threat to other people and must take action to prevent this.
    To be clear, I am for mask mandates in general. Personally, outside when socially distancing, I don't see the logic for them. But in terms of good habits, and personal choice, I have nothing against others choosing to wear them all the time everywhere.

And I am against adults taking it upon themselves to berate other people's kids. Period. (OK, except in some extreme circumstances)
  • Options

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Scott_xP said:

On that we agree Malc

I thought he was referring to the fat toady looking bloke that needs the diversity training.
    jog on loser
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,873
    rcs1000 said:

TimT said:

IanB2 said:

rcs1000 said:

Oh, I agree completely.

Trumpism is not politics, its fundamentalist religion. The high priest has proclaimed masks are bad. It does not matter what reason or the rest of society thinks.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Scott_xP said:

On that we agree Malc

jog on loser
    And you knew who he meant then !!!!!!
  • Options

Are you sure that isn't Peter Stringfellow?

• Options
    Politico.com - IS TUCKER CARLSON LOSING HIS MIND?:

OK, some of you will argue that he lost it long ago. But as careful students of his evening show, we’ve noticed that Carlson has gradually become more unhinged in recent weeks. He’s devoted enormous attention to apologias for the Jan. 6 insurrectionists. He seemed noticeably perturbed the night that DEREK CHAUVIN was found guilty. And under the banner of just asking questions! he has given quarter to anti-vaxxers and Covid-19 conspiracists.

But on Monday night, during a rant where it was hard to tell whether Carlson was serious or not — his Trump-like way of distancing himself from the content of his monologues is to always keep you guessing as to whether he’s just putting you on — Carlson made a comment that was beyond the pale even for him, and especially strange for a self-styled anti-nanny state libertarian.

“Your response when you see children wearing masks as they play should be no different from your response to seeing someone beat a kid at Walmart,” he said. “Call the police immediately, contact child protective services. Keep calling until someone arrives.”

We hate wearing masks in uncrowded outdoor spaces as much as anyone, and hopefully the CDC will update its guidance on that today. But seeing parents abide by the current CDC advice that kids over the age of 2 “wear a mask correctly when in public and when around people they don’t live with” is not a good reason to sic child protective services on strangers at your local big box store. And we’re pretty sure Carlson knows that, even if some of his viewers might not, which makes his appeal to snitch on mask wearers even worse.
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    Carnyx said:

DeClare said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Just Primogeniture.

I was thinking of the Princess Royal. In any other walk of life that would be against the law, to exclude her from the line of succession.
    Well they don't tend to make laws retrospective. It would have been very interesting had there someone in children and grandchildren of the Queen who who would have been displaced had the law been in place sooner, as it is it didn't matter.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

rcs1000 said:

TimT said:

IanB2 said:

rcs1000 said:

Oh, I agree completely.

Are you agreeing with Tucker Carlson?

Their may be something to what you say re: psychological damage. BUT frankly doubt it. And doubt that many child psychologists agree with you.

Though will be something that could & should be investigated, as part of what should be a INTENSIVE study of the impacts of COVID post-pandemic.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Carnyx said:

DeClare said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Just Primogeniture.

Well they don't tend to make laws retrospective. It would have been very interesting had there someone in children and grandchildren of the Queen who who would have been displaced had the law been in place sooner, as it is it didn't matter.
    If the change had been made 50 years ago, I wonder whether Anne's kids would have taken royal titles.
  • Options
    Kids do all kinds of crazy things that adults tell them too.
    Wearing clothes, washing, going to sleep, waking up, saying please and thank you, visiting relatives, attending playgroups.
    Each of them is a ritual they are gradually initiated into without fully understanding or questioning the reasons why.
  • Options
    MattW said:

That would be libelous . . . IF Peter Stringfellow was still with us . . .
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,907
    TOPPING said:

TimT said:

IanB2 said:

rcs1000 said:

It's very unattractive. That's why I loathed the attitude of many (on here in particular) at the dismissal of Trump. OK he is a lunatic but millions upon millions of Americans voted for him and to dismiss him, and them, was a rather nasty but sadly all too typical trait of the Brits.
    The eat shit two million flies can't be wrong theory......

It's ridiculous. Half of Americans thought he was batshit crazy. It doesn't make them arrogant just educated.
  • Options
    Roger said:

TOPPING said:

TimT said:

IanB2 said:

rcs1000 said:

The eat shit two million flies can't be wrong theory......

It's ridiculous. Half of Americans thought he was batshit crazy. It doesn't make them arrogant just educated.
    Roger has shut down the conversation with a perfect illustration of Topping's point.
  • Options

TimT said:

IanB2 said:

rcs1000 said:

I not so sure about that
    If you're not certain then you haven't listened much to Tucker Carlson. The man is a certifiable lunatic. He makes Piers Corbyn and Toby Young look sane, and he's the face of Fox News.

He's recently had such hits as saying that Joe and Jill Biden's 44 year marriage is a slick sham cooked up by PR gurus: https://twitter.com/abughazalehkat/status/1361846831374884865?s=19

That white Americans are being "replaced" by the Democrats: https://twitter.com/NikkiMcR/status/1380309798957285376?s=19

And goodness knows what was going through his head with this reaction to the George Floyd murder verdict: https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1384688301962141697?s=19

That's barely scratching the surface. The guy is certifiable. We have nothing like him in this country and he headlines a major show on a major network there.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,472

MattW said:

That would be libelous . . . IF Peter Stringfellow was still with us . . .
    One of the great intros on Have I Got News For You:

Our guest tonight was champion lady rider of 1993, beating Peter Stringfellow into second place.

(The guest was Clare Balding, incidentally.)
  • Options

TimT said:

IanB2 said:

rcs1000 said:

I not so sure about that
    If you're not certain then you haven't listened much to Tucker Carlson. The man is a certifiable lunatic. He makes Piers Corbyn and Toby Young look sane, and he's the face of Fox News.

He's recently had such hits as saying that Joe and Jill Biden's 44 year marriage is a slick sham cooked up by PR gurus: https://twitter.com/abughazalehkat/status/1361846831374884865?s=19

That white Americans are being "replaced" by the Democrats: https://twitter.com/NikkiMcR/status/1380309798957285376?s=19

And goodness knows what was going through his head with this reaction to the George Floyd murder verdict: https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1384688301962141697?s=19

That's barely scratching the surface. The guy is certifiable. We have nothing like him in this country and he headlines a major show on a major network there.
    To be honest I have no interest in US politics other than it is good Trump has gone
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,211
    rcs1000 said:

TimT said:

IanB2 said:

rcs1000 said:

Oh, I agree completely.

Agreed, though I’d add that abusing people for not wearing masks is just as bad.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

rcs1000 said:

TimT said:

IanB2 said:

rcs1000 said:

Oh, I agree completely.

Have you ever been to Tokyo? If you're on the subway, there will often be gaggles of seven or eight year old kids travelling by themselves - and guess what - some of them will be wearing masks. Because they've been taught from an early age that if you have a cold or cough that it's impolite to spread it to other people.

Are they all being abused?
  • Options
    As an aside, I think masks are pretty ineffective outside, and I certainly wouldn't impose any kind of outdoor mask mandate.

But that doesn't make people who wear them, or who ask their children to wear them, in some way offensive, or aggressors, or child abusers.
  • Options
    You'd think forces could screen for these sort of people before they are hired.

US police officers are seen mocking a 73-year-old woman with dementia as they watch video of her shoulder going "pop" during her forcible arrest, according to footage released by her lawyer.

Video from inside Ms Garner's nearby holding cell shows the frail-looking grandmother slumped handcuffed to a bench while the officers joke about the incident, says her lawyer.

"Ready for the pop? Hear the pop?" one of the officers says at one point, referring to Ms Garner's shoulder.

As they continue to watch the footage, the same officer says: "I love it."

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-56897186
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

rcs1000 said:

TimT said:

IanB2 said:

rcs1000 said:

Oh, I agree completely.

Agreed, though I’d add that abusing people for not wearing masks is just as bad.
    I agree. As I said before, outside masks are pretty ineffective. I can see at a crowded soccer stadium they might work, but other than that... they're not going to cut Covid cases.
  • Options

TimT said:

IanB2 said:

rcs1000 said:

I not so sure about that

To be honest I have no interest in US politics other than it is good Trump has gone
    Tucker Carlson is like the worst elements of Trump, concentrated into a TV host.

He is every bit as bad as Trump.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

You'd think forces could screen for these sort of people before they are hired.

US police officers are seen mocking a 73-year-old woman with dementia as they watch video of her shoulder going "pop" during her forcible arrest, according to footage released by her lawyer.

Video from inside Ms Garner's nearby holding cell shows the frail-looking grandmother slumped handcuffed to a bench while the officers joke about the incident, says her lawyer.

"Ready for the pop? Hear the pop?" one of the officers says at one point, referring to Ms Garner's shoulder.

As they continue to watch the footage, the same officer says: "I love it."

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-56897186

The US has a police problem.

It's the same problem that we have (bear me out) with our Muslim minority in the UK.

Police feel that they are under attack from liberals. Loyalty to the group (policemen) overwhelms their critical thinking and they therefore end up justifying (and even hiding) offences that should shock them.

It's a really hard problem to solve. But solve it America must.
  • Options

TimT said:

IanB2 said:

rcs1000 said:

I not so sure about that

You think Trumpsky is gone? You are one hell of an optimist, bro!

Especially since he's still the center of gravity for the Republican Party, their kingmaker in a multitude of gubernatorial & congressional nominations this year and esp. next. AND a potential candidate for POTUS in 2024.

No defeated ex-President in US history has ever had the political clout now possessed by Donald Trumpsky. Or any NON-defeated ex-President either.
  • Options
    @rcs1000 BTW, tried the Impossible 'meat' in pasta last night. I thought it was perfectly ok, and would be willing to do it, say, once a week in place of meat. My wife, though, said the pasta with the tomato sauces sans Impossible was way better. If she could not have meat, she'd rather not have Impossible. So saying, she picked all the Impossible out of her bowl.
  • Options

Well i got the surprise call for the old jabbie jab....now fully micro chipped up with Bill Gates backed Moderna...beep beep bop beep.

I got Moderna.

Prepare for an unpleasant 24 hours after jab number two. But look on the bright side - your protection kicks in quite a bit quicker than those people who get AZ.
  • Options
    TimT said:

@rcs1000 BTW, tried the Impossible 'meat' in pasta last night. I thought it was perfectly ok, and would be willing to do it, say, once a week in place of meat. My wife, though, said the pasta with the tomato sauces sans Impossible was way better. If she could not have meat, she'd rather not have Impossible. So saying, she picked all the Impossible out of her bowl.

Wow. She really didn't like it :smile:

Try with Beyond and see if you like it more.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,806

Well i got the surprise call for the old jabbie jab....now fully micro chipped up with Bill Gates backed Moderna...beep beep bop beep.

You've gone Microsoft
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

As an aside, I think masks are pretty ineffective outside, and I certainly wouldn't impose any kind of outdoor mask mandate.

But that doesn't make people who wear them, or who ask their children to wear them, in some way offensive, or aggressors, or child abusers.

Making teenage children wear masks for several hours at a stretch is rather different from asking them to wear it for short periods on public transport.

The general suspicion is it has nothing to do with health reasons - after all, if you’re sitting in the same room as someone with Covid for hours on end, they’re going to be no use - and were a device to ensure that people thought schools were safe.

Which, particularly given the myriad of other problems they cause - difficulties communicating, discomfort, the alarming deterioration in behaviour teachers are observing and having to deal with - simply isn’t a good enough reason for them.

It is instructive that there is so far no sign of a report on mask wearing and its impact on Scottish schools, even though they should have three months’ worth of data to work with.

It is also instructive to realise they cannot be made mandatory - for disability discrimination reasons - and so are being imposed through guidelines that make it clear they are officially optional but in practice almost impossible to avoid, leaving the schools not the DfE to carry the can for any lawsuits.

Finally, to give you some idea of how ridiculous and stupid the whole thing is, the original plan was to have children wear them at all times. Until somebody pointed out that meant they would be unable to eat lunch. So they are permitted to take them off to eat indoors. Thereby rendering the whole exercise more useless than an administrator’s brain cell.

My children all hate them. And I don’t blame them. They are a stupid idea conjured up for stupid reasons by stupid people. And those stupid people are utterly despicable.

Tucker Carlson is an arse, and so is Topping, of course. But even arses can sometimes have a point.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,154

One for the conspiracy theorists: BBC News has just prefaced the 17 deaths by solemnly warning the audience that “these numbers are often lower on a Monday”.

That’s the most misleading framing ever. In fact, the reported deaths when reported on a Tuesday (which notionally relate to Monday) are usually the highest of any day of the week.

Are they actually incapable of reporting good news?

Must be fearing when the bad news ends, their jobs are at risk. "Plane lands safely" does not make a news show.

I would be curious to know what other causes of death are now higher than Covid?
  • Options

One for the conspiracy theorists: BBC News has just prefaced the 17 deaths by solemnly warning the audience that “these numbers are often lower on a Monday”.

That’s the most misleading framing ever. In fact, the reported deaths when reported on a Tuesday (which notionally relate to Monday) are usually the highest of any day of the week.

Are they actually incapable of reporting good news?

Must be fearing when the bad news ends, their jobs are at risk. "Plane lands safely" does not make a news show.

I would be curious to know what other causes of death are now higher than Covid?
    I remember once there were three days of headlines on the BBC about a plane that landed safely with one wheel having failed to descend to landing position.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,300
    rcs1000 said:

I got Moderna.

Prepare for an unpleasant 24 hours after jab number two. But look on the bright side - your protection kicks in quite a bit quicker than those people who get AZ.
    The debrief instructions were a little odd e.g. no caffeine for 24hrs.

Then they said likely to have a banging headache and I thought I definitely will if I can't have my triple espresso....
This discussion has been closed.