Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

My “Jo Biden Day 100” approval rating bet now looking touch and go – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,925

Breaking

115 dying an hour in India but likely to be a lot more

This is just terrible

Wealthy countries were warned we should pause our rollout once vulnerable populations were covered.
    And unfortunately our failure to help out other countries is likely to lead to new variants as well as devastation in places like India.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/jan/30/who-urges-britain-to-pause-covid-jabs-after-treating-vulnerable
  • Options
    MrEdMrEd Posts: 5,578
    @malcolmg - that was a really insightful post you wrote on what you thought about the situation in Scotland. Re the SNP being in trouble, two questions (1) what exactly is driving that - concern over its performance, the Salmond affair etc and (2) if you are saying Labour is benefiting (and the LDs), that sounds like the SNP might be losing the Central Belt. Is that a fair assessment?
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,903

Nigelb said:

I have been out canvassing in various parts of the Totnes constituency the past few weeks. Many hundreds of voters met. What is really striking is that very, very few people have changed their vote from the 2019 General. A few ex-Tories returning to the fold, who in 2019 were staying with a personal loyalty to Sarah Wollaston. But otherwise, those who love Boris still love Boris, those who hate Boris still hate Boris.

Please file under #Anecdote:ForWhatIt'sWorth

By next weekend all will be revealed
    Alien visitation ?
    What about MY theory, that Boris is himself a space alien? (Like Trumpsky!)

WOULD explain a great deal . . .
    A flying spaghetti monster that crashed to earth ?
    Could explain the hairstyle, I suppose.
  • Options
    rkrkrk said:

Breaking

115 dying an hour in India but likely to be a lot more

This is just terrible

Wealthy countries were warned we should pause our rollout once vulnerable populations were covered.
    And unfortunately our failure to help out other countries is likely to lead to new variants as well as devastation in places like India.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/jan/30/who-urges-britain-to-pause-covid-jabs-after-treating-vulnerable
    I hope not but I understand the reasoning
  • Options
    MrEdMrEd Posts: 5,578

moonshine said:

Nigelb said:

moonshine said:

FPT - Philip
    “In decreasing order of plausibility:

1: They said something innocent that is misconstrued by loons to be aliens.
    2: They said something dishonest for a political agenda, eg to get more money to Defence.
    3: Some other explanation.
    98: They are loons.
    99: Mulder was right, the truth is out there”

It’s a nice sunny day and it’s always good fun to sit and chat about the Great Filter, the Drake Equation, the Dark Forest etc... even better with a cider in hand.

There’s a more immediate question that I was hoping this forum of political experts could help me with? Why in the last year have a quite unusual collection of senior US political figures gone on the record to make quite extraordinary claims about UFOs? And started a very major congressional study into the topic, that has now squarely caught the attention of the US mainstream media?

The statements include there being A LOT of multi point evidence (including satellite visuals, radar, sonar, close range videos) of them being tangible intelligently controlled, high tech objects (rather than glitches or misidentified balloons). That they can break the sound barrier without causing sonic booms? Can pull G force in the many hundreds. Leave no visible infrared signature from a propulsion system? Can traverse easily between air and water. That they interfere quite regularly with US military assets. That the US does not have air superiority over its own landmass AND UFO’S HAVE EVEN REMOTELY DEACTIVATED US NUKES.

Philip prefers to not engage his brain with this topic rather than look carefully at what is being said by whom. Fair enough. It’s a hard topic.

As for the rest of you, if this is all made up, what possible reason is there for such a conspiracy between political adversaries? Because that conspiracy itself would be the story of our time too.

Reid is an old man, who recently suggested that the Chinese, Russians... and the French were in on it.
    The other guy appears to be another species of grifter.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/To_the_Stars_(company)
    Rubio isn’t old or retired. In fact he’d have a right to think he has another reasonable run at President left him.
    Right now, Senator Marco Rubio is eating the dust of two other Sunshine State GOP presidential hopefuls: Governor Ron DeSantis and Senator Rick Scott.
    Rubio hasn't a chance though early days. However, it feels like the next candidate will be a Governor rather than a Senator.
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,505
    ClippP said:

TOPPING said:

TimT said:

OT - Personally hope that Mike loses his bet!

BTW, the American abbreviation for "Joseph" is NOT "Jo" but instead good old "Joe".

As in Uncle Joe. Why you Brits are dropping the "e" is a mystery to me.

Note that the most famous Joseph in British political history, Joseph Chamberlain, was known to his contemporaries, in the UK and out, as "Pushful Joe". NOT Jo.

I always, as a Brit, considered Joe the male abbreviation, and Jo the female version. Has that changed?
    It has not.
    Though Jo Grimond was always Jo. And that was quite a long time ago now.
    For quite a long time, I assmed Jo Grimond was female and thought that having a female leader so early was an indication of the progressive nature of the Liberals.

I therefore conclude that it was all a ploy to secure Liberal support among the feminist/me too (and, I admit, historically ignorant) generations half a century later.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,454
    MattW said:

Charles said:

TOPPING said:

TimT said:

BTW, the American abbreviation for "Joseph" is NOT "Jo" but instead good old "Joe".

Note that the most famous Joseph in British political history, Joseph Chamberlain, was known to his contemporaries, in the UK and out, as "Pushful Joe". NOT Jo.

I always, as a Brit, considered Joe the male abbreviation, and Jo the female version. Has that changed?
    It has not.
    Although it’s consider polite these days to use the neutral form Jo/e unless you have been informed otherwise in writing
    Wouldn't it make more sense IF you're worried about giving offense, to NOT use ANY nickname, unless the person uses it themselves (as in case of Joe Biden) OR you are otherwise 100% sure it's ok?

For example, somehow get the feeling that you - Charles - MIGHT be offended if someone you didn't know called you "Charlie" or "Chuck"?
    I'd say that your practice is your choice, and if there are consequences you also choose those.

And it's not really worth the kremlinology.

The most famous Jo in British History is probably either Joseph of Nazareth, or Joe 90.
    and the Amazing Technicolour Dreamcoat?

Does that qualify for British History? Andrew Lloyd-Webber & Tim Rice are both Brits.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,788
    edited April 2021
    AlistairM said:

Vaccine anecdote. Just got jabbed (AZ) but the centre looked like it wasn't using anywhere near its full capacity (lots of empty vaccination booths). I know it has also been closing every day at about 6pm.

The centre is based at an athletics track that my daughter trains at with the local athletics club. They have taken over the middle and one of the bends of the track so only 300m is usable. I just received an email from the athletics club to say that evening training sessions will be going on whilst the vaccination centre is still open. I imagine they must be anticipating increased supply. Good news if so.

Comparator.

My local mass centre is still running from 8am to 10pm. But they are not running at capacity for lanes - but they have space set out for 30 lanes, which is a *lot* as there is another centre at the district hospital, and whatever else there is in Pharmacies etc.
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,387
    Scott_xP said:
    I guess you would be well.place to offer an opinion as you post half truths,spin and lies most of the time.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,176
    Welsh polls:
    https://twitter.com/roger_scully/status/1386927518712623110

If referendum on 'membership of the EU, how would you vote?'

Join 40%
    Stay Outside 41%
    Would not vote 8%
    Don't Know 10%
    Refused to say 2%

If referendum on Wales becoming an independent country:

Yes 22%
    No 54%
    Would not vote 8%
    Don't Know 14%
    Refused to say 2%

If referendum on abolishing Senedd:

Yes 25%
    No 46%
    Would not vote 9%
    Don't Know 17%
    Refused to say 3%
  • Options
    NerysHughesNerysHughes Posts: 3,351

I have been out canvassing in various parts of the Totnes constituency the past few weeks. Many hundreds of voters met. What is really striking is that very, very few people have changed their vote from the 2019 General. A few ex-Tories returning to the fold, who in 2019 were staying with a personal loyalty to Sarah Wollaston. But otherwise, those who love Boris still love Boris, those who hate Boris still hate Boris.

That is exactly the point about Boris, he is a marmite figure, but those who like him really like him, women particularly.
  • Options
    Nigel_ForemainNigel_Foremain Posts: 13,791
    Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Alien visitation ?

I imagine the UK's versions of Q-Anon followers think that it is Boris Johnson that is secretly fighting the Aliens: the lizard people that are disguised as Kier Starmer and most foreign (particularly European) leaders.

The £200k refurbishment of the flat in No 11 was actually part of an anti-surveillance sweep in response to the lizard people threat, and the reason for Johnson's often incoherent "er er er ers" is a result of aliens trying to interfere with his speech patterns with a German manufactured sonic ray gun that is designed to make Boris tell lies, something he is uniquely immune to.
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,681
    MrEd said:

moonshine said:

Nigelb said:

moonshine said:

FPT - Philip

2: They said something dishonest for a political agenda, eg to get more money to Defence.

It’s a nice sunny day and it’s always good fun to sit and chat about the Great Filter, the Drake Equation, the Dark Forest etc... even better with a cider in hand.

There’s a more immediate question that I was hoping this forum of political experts could help me with? Why in the last year have a quite unusual collection of senior US political figures gone on the record to make quite extraordinary claims about UFOs? And started a very major congressional study into the topic, that has now squarely caught the attention of the US mainstream media?

The statements include there being A LOT of multi point evidence (including satellite visuals, radar, sonar, close range videos) of them being tangible intelligently controlled, high tech objects (rather than glitches or misidentified balloons). That they can break the sound barrier without causing sonic booms? Can pull G force in the many hundreds. Leave no visible infrared signature from a propulsion system? Can traverse easily between air and water. That they interfere quite regularly with US military assets. That the US does not have air superiority over its own landmass AND UFO’S HAVE EVEN REMOTELY DEACTIVATED US NUKES.

Philip prefers to not engage his brain with this topic rather than look carefully at what is being said by whom. Fair enough. It’s a hard topic.

As for the rest of you, if this is all made up, what possible reason is there for such a conspiracy between political adversaries? Because that conspiracy itself would be the story of our time too.

Reid is an old man, who recently suggested that the Chinese, Russians... and the French were in on it.
    Rubio isn’t old or retired. In fact he’d have a right to think he has another reasonable run at President left him.
    Right now, Senator Marco Rubio is eating the dust of two other Sunshine State GOP presidential hopefuls: Governor Ron DeSantis and Senator Rick Scott.
    Rubio hasn't a chance though early days. However, it feels like the next candidate will be a Governor rather than a Senator.
    Or maybe an ex-governor, like former South Carolina Governor (and former UN Ambassador) Nikki Haley.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    TOPPING said:

MattW said:

Charles said:

TOPPING said:

TimT said:

It has not.
    Although it’s consider polite these days to use the neutral form Jo/e unless you have been informed otherwise in writing
    Wouldn't it make more sense IF you're worried about giving offense, to NOT use ANY nickname, unless the person uses it themselves (as in case of Joe Biden) OR you are otherwise 100% sure it's ok?

For example, somehow get the feeling that you - Charles - MIGHT be offended if someone you didn't know called you "Charlie" or "Chuck"?
    I'd say that your practice is your choice, and if there are consequences you also choose those.

And it's not really worth the kremlinology.

The most famous Jo in British History is probably either Joseph of Nazareth, or Joe 90.
    and the Amazing Technicolour Dreamcoat?

Does that qualify for British History? Andrew Lloyd-Webber & Tim Rice are both Brits.
    Wrong Testament. Jesus's step dad.
  • Options
    Selebian said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Alien visitation ?

And the number of people touched by his noodly appendage?
    Theory confirmed, then.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,189
    edited April 2021

Welsh polls:

Join 40%
    Stay Outside 41%
    Would not vote 8%
    Don't Know 10%
    Refused to say 2%

Yes 22%
    No 54%
    Would not vote 8%
    Don't Know 14%
    Refused to say 2%

Yes 25%
    No 46%
    Would not vote 9%
    Don't Know 17%
    Refused to say 3%

So more Welsh voters want to abolish the Senedd now than want independence and a plurality of Welsh voters still want to stay outside the EU.

• Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382

I did ask David Cameron to ennoble OGH and JohnO back in 2015.

Would have happened but for Brexit.

I think I was on course for my GCMG as well.

Is that correct?
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,246
    Breaking News: After more than five turbulent years as DUP leader, Arlene Foster’s time at the helm of Northern Ireland’s biggest party appears to be coming to an end after 75% of her MLAs signed a letter calling for a leadership contest. https://www.newsletter.co.uk/news/politics/arlene-fosters-time-as-dup-leader-coming-to-an-end-as-75-of-her-mlas-sign-letter-of-no-confidence-3216112
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 28,036
    Selebian said:

Endillion said:

moonshine said:

FPT - Philip

So the theory is that aliens flew to Earth across uncountable billions of miles of space to... screw with us?

Or, more precisely, to screw with just one country on Earth?

Why?
    I should note that I remain a sceptic, but consider it from the opposite angle. We do send probes out to other planets/beyond to see what's there. As we get more advanced and have mapped out more of the solar system, we'll likely send things much further. These will be, initially at least, autonomous/pre-programmed (as there would be too much lag to control directly) and will send data back. If we happen to visit, remotely, a planet with life on then it will initially be with relatively small craft taking images, spectroscopic analyses of the surface etc. Now at present these are slow, lumbering rovers, but if we came to suspect that there was potentially intelligent life on another planet, we'd probably want to do some surveillance with something fast moving and hard to spot, to see what we were encountering before announcing ourselves. It would be a long period before we were able to act on any data received by sending further probes or a manned mission (as the probes/spacecraft would take a long time to get there after we decided to send them). Things flopping about on Earth with no followup is not a ridiculous thing to happen if there was to be surveillance from alien lifeforms.

However, reasonable questions in that case would be:
    - Why enter the atmosphere - can't it all be done remotely, from orbit? Plausible explanation - to actually gather some samples of air/earth/water etc
    - Why not better at hiding the probes from us? Plausible explanation - the probes are well hidden using the technologies on the originating planet (e.g. they're invisible in the part of the spectrum that organisms there can sense, they just happen to be visible at what we consider visible wavelengths).
    - Why is this mostly happening in the US? Well, the aliens are mostly picking up Netflix and Disney+/Hollywood output and so conclude that very little of interest happens outside the US :wink:

I still think there are many, many more likely explanations for what has been observed, but I don't think the apparent 'screwing with us' is, in itself, that odd if the explanation is more unlikely.
    Isn't the US just better equipped to detect and record whatever they are?
    An anomaly over New Guinea wouldn't be.
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,736

That is exactly the point about Boris, he is a marmite figure, but those who like him really like him, women particularly.
    My wife thinks he's "a bit of a scamp". Make of that what you will.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,010
    Michigan is introducing a mask mandate for two year olds.
    Can those with experience of two year olds let me know how practical this is ?
  • Options
    contrariancontrarian Posts: 5,818
    MrEd said:

moonshine said:

Nigelb said:

moonshine said:

FPT - Philip

DeSantis is the man for me

His approach to covid over the winter took enormous courage and was executed in the face of huge pressure. He started from the assumption he was a conservative and looked at what he could do given his principles. As a result his state is powering ahead economically, is much freer than others and excess deaths are no higher (in many cases lower) than other states.

He has the priceless ability to ignore the screeches of the mainstream media and its cohorts when he does something they don't like. Indeed he is one of those conservatives who thinks the louder they are screeching, the better I'm doing.

He is everything Boris Johnson is not, and when he comes to greater prominence as he surely will, his example will cast Johnson's conservatives in a very poor light. Also he appears unencumbered by the fragile ego that so hit Trump.

• Options
    Scott_xP said:

Breaking News: After more than five turbulent years as DUP leader, Arlene Foster’s time at the helm of Northern Ireland’s biggest party appears to be coming to an end after 75% of her MLAs signed a letter calling for a leadership contest. https://www.newsletter.co.uk/news/politics/arlene-fosters-time-as-dup-leader-coming-to-an-end-as-75-of-her-mlas-sign-letter-of-no-confidence-3216112

What if she shouts NO?
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,634
    Pulpstar said:

Impossible. My niece is two and trying to get her to wear a mask would be hilarious because she'd never keep it on.
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    More Britons now want Prince Charles to be the next King than William, 37% favour Charles and 34% favour William.

The Queen now at +76%, William at +68%, Kate at +67%, Charles at +25%, Harry at -6% and Meghan at -32%.

No D of E this time for obvious sad reasons
    https://twitter.com/YouGov/status/1387063461188980748?s=20
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,505
    edited April 2021
    Pulpstar said:

Pop them in the dressing up box and you've got a chance.

Edit: the masks, not the two year olds
  • Options

I did ask David Cameron to ennoble OGH and JohnO back in 2015.

Would have happened but for Brexit.

I think I was on course for my GCMG as well.

Is that correct?
    Yeah, I tried back in May 2016 as well after JohnO lost his seat but Dave was focussed on the referendum.

As for my knighthood there was more chance of me proselytising about the awesomeness of pineapple on pizza.

In hindsight I should have asked during the coalition years.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    Pulpstar said:

It's not.

Utterly delusional.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

More Britons now want Prince Charles to be the next King than William, 37% favour Charles and 34% favour William.

The Queen now at +76%, William at +67%, Kate at +67%, Charles at +25%, Harry at -6% and Meghan at -32%.

About as relevant as polling whether we'd like it to be sunny or rain tomorrow.
    Where's Andrew?
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

The Queen now at +76%, William at +67%, Kate at +67%, Charles at +25%, Harry at -6% and Meghan at -32%.

Where's Andrew?
    Andrew is now up to 10% approval from 7% approval last month, 79% disapprove so he has closed the gap with Meghan as the most unpopular royal (or ex royal)
  • Options
    EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,976
    Selebian said:

Endillion said:

moonshine said:

FPT - Philip

So the theory is that aliens flew to Earth across uncountable billions of miles of space to... screw with us?

Why?
    I should note that I remain a sceptic, but consider it from the opposite angle. We do send probes out to other planets/beyond to see what's there. As we get more advanced and have mapped out more of the solar system, we'll likely send things much further. These will be, initially at least, autonomous/pre-programmed (as there would be too much lag to control directly) and will send data back. If we happen to visit, remotely, a planet with life on then it will initially be with relatively small craft taking images, spectroscopic analyses of the surface etc. Now at present these are slow, lumbering rovers, but if we came to suspect that there was potentially intelligent life on another planet, we'd probably want to do some surveillance with something fast moving and hard to spot, to see what we were encountering before announcing ourselves. It would be a long period before we were able to act on any data received by sending further probes or a manned mission (as the probes/spacecraft would take a long time to get there after we decided to send them). Things flopping about on Earth with no followup is not a ridiculous thing to happen if there was to be surveillance from alien lifeforms.

- Why enter the atmosphere - can't it all be done remotely, from orbit? Plausible explanation - to actually gather some samples of air/earth/water etc
    - Why not better at hiding the probes from us? Plausible explanation - the probes are well hidden using the technologies on the originating planet (e.g. they're invisible in the part of the spectrum that organisms there can sense, they just happen to be visible at what we consider visible wavelengths).
    - Why is this mostly happening in the US? Well, the aliens are mostly picking up Netflix and Disney+/Hollywood output and so conclude that very little of interest happens outside the US :wink:

I still think there are many, many more likely explanations for what has been observed, but I don't think the apparent 'screwing with us' is, in itself, that odd if the explanation is more unlikely.
    I'm not buying that. If you can send unmanned probes to other systems with expectations of collecting useful data, you can also equip them with enough decision making protocols to stay out of range until you've figured out how good the life you're about to discover is at spotting your tech. Anyway, if this was true then a thousand amateurs would also have spotted the probes by now, not just the US military.

Also, given the convergent evolution on Earth wrt sight, I think it's a good bet that alien lifeforms would "see" the same way.
  • Options
    LOL.

The far-right group Britain First has been duped into protesting outside hotels which do not contain asylum seekers after being supplied with a fake list including the Dorchester on Park Lane, London, and a pub hotel owned by an associate of Dominic Cummings.

Supporters of Britain First last year entered hotels used by the Home Office to accommodate asylum seekers and started banging on bedroom doors and antagonising the asylum seekers there.

They are now resuming these hotel visits and put out an appeal to members of the public to give them the names of hotels where they knew asylum seekers were being accommodated.

Pro-migrant groups responded in droves. About 600 people contacted Britain First provided the names of decoy hotels.

Britain First’s leader, Paul Golding, and chair, Ashlea Simon, put out a video on social media indicating that they had not realised that they had been bombarded with fake hotel names by opponents.

Simon said they had received a long list of hotel names from members of the public and had started to visit them. She can be seen holding the list. Speaking to camera she said: “When we visited these hotels we were met with empty rooms. No illegal immigrants.”

Pro–migrant groups have hailed the stunt sending the far right on a wild goose chase as a success.

One member of a pro-migrant group, who only wished to be identified by their twitter handle, Marsh4LL, said: “Paul Golding put out a request via the Britain First website so I contacted every like-minded person that I know to bombard Paul and Ashlea with as many hotel addresses in the north-west that had zero connections with housing asylum seekers and it worked a treat. They were most definitely taken in by this.”

The Britain First hotel incident comes as far-right watchers report an increase in far-right activity at hotels believed to be accommodating asylum seekers. Although Britain First supporters visited some of the hotels on the fake list they have also been visiting hotels which do contain asylum seekers.

Police were called to one Nottingham hotel on 17 April when supporters of Britain First entered and went from hotel room to hotel room demanding to know if the occupants of the rooms were asylum seekers and which countries they had come from.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/apr/27/britain-first-duped-into-protesting-at-hotels-with-no-asylum-seekers

We really are mistreating asylum seekers by putting them in Britannia hotels.
  • Options

Welsh polls:

Join 40%
    Stay Outside 41%
    Would not vote 8%
    Don't Know 10%
    Refused to say 2%

Yes 22%
    No 54%
    Would not vote 8%
    Don't Know 14%
    Refused to say 2%

Yes 25%
    No 46%
    Would not vote 9%
    Don't Know 17%
    Refused to say 3%

I cannot argue with those figurers

Seem about right
  • Options
    FishingFishing Posts: 4,561
    edited April 2021
    CatMan said:

Everybody knows Diamond Joe is the best politician named Joseph

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mayor_Quimby

He has been Mayor in Springfield for 35 years at least now, and survived God knows how many corruption scandals and even having Homer Simpson in charge of nuclear safety. So, yes, quite the politician as well as an amazing parody of American small-town corruption and incompetence.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Only way that is practical is to offer the two year olds more screen time on their iPads and ice cream three times a day.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

Where's Andrew?
    Who
  • Options
    Endillion said:

Selebian said:

Endillion said:

moonshine said:

FPT - Philip

Why?

I'm not buying that. If you can send unmanned probes to other systems with expectations of collecting useful data, you can also equip them with enough decision making protocols to stay out of range until you've figured out how good the life you're about to discover is at spotting your tech. Anyway, if this was true then a thousand amateurs would also have spotted the probes by now, not just the US military.

Also, given the convergent evolution on Earth wrt sight, I think it's a good bet that alien lifeforms would "see" the same way.
    Although no other species sees the same rainbow we do.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

Where's Andrew?
    He's on 10% positive rating and 79% negative rating.

Which is a slight improvement on November 2019 when he had a positive rating of 7% and a negative rating of 82%

https://docs.cdn.yougov.com/op5ota7eih/The Times Royal Favourability.pdf
  • Options

LOL.

The far-right group Britain First has been duped into protesting outside hotels which do not contain asylum seekers after being supplied with a fake list including the Dorchester on Park Lane, London, and a pub hotel owned by an associate of Dominic Cummings.

Supporters of Britain First last year entered hotels used by the Home Office to accommodate asylum seekers and started banging on bedroom doors and antagonising the asylum seekers there.

They are now resuming these hotel visits and put out an appeal to members of the public to give them the names of hotels where they knew asylum seekers were being accommodated.

Pro-migrant groups responded in droves. About 600 people contacted Britain First provided the names of decoy hotels.

Britain First’s leader, Paul Golding, and chair, Ashlea Simon, put out a video on social media indicating that they had not realised that they had been bombarded with fake hotel names by opponents.

Simon said they had received a long list of hotel names from members of the public and had started to visit them. She can be seen holding the list. Speaking to camera she said: “When we visited these hotels we were met with empty rooms. No illegal immigrants.”

Pro–migrant groups have hailed the stunt sending the far right on a wild goose chase as a success.

One member of a pro-migrant group, who only wished to be identified by their twitter handle, Marsh4LL, said: “Paul Golding put out a request via the Britain First website so I contacted every like-minded person that I know to bombard Paul and Ashlea with as many hotel addresses in the north-west that had zero connections with housing asylum seekers and it worked a treat. They were most definitely taken in by this.”

The Britain First hotel incident comes as far-right watchers report an increase in far-right activity at hotels believed to be accommodating asylum seekers. Although Britain First supporters visited some of the hotels on the fake list they have also been visiting hotels which do contain asylum seekers.

Police were called to one Nottingham hotel on 17 April when supporters of Britain First entered and went from hotel room to hotel room demanding to know if the occupants of the rooms were asylum seekers and which countries they had come from.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/apr/27/britain-first-duped-into-protesting-at-hotels-with-no-asylum-seekers

Its all that "John Lewis" furniture you know. Very off putting.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,407
    Nigelb said:

Off-topic - Any Lovejoy fans out there (books not TV)? I'm trying to recall which book it is where there is a buried Victorian engine in a tunnel, complete with a silver locomotive - can anyone help?

Spend Game ?
    Cheers - I found it in the end... Thanks though!
  • Options

LOL.

Anybody who sees the Dorchester on the list and doesn't realise they are being had surely has to be supremely thick as well as supremely racist.

• Options
  • Options

LOL.

I don't see the funny side of people getting harassed. Whether asylum seekers or not.

Anyone engaged in this should be prosecuted. This is harassment not free speech.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,526

Pulpstar said:

It's not.

Utterly delusional.
    Yes, whenever you think our lawmakers have gone mad, you are reminded that much of the rest of the world is worse.
  • Options
    New - No 10 spokesman: “Any costs of wider refurbishment this year beyond those provided for by the annual allowance have been met by the PM personally. Conservative Party funds are not being used for this”

But we know they are now not "being" used, the q is were they ever used?

https://twitter.com/jessicaelgot/status/1387068205575938052
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    Endillion said:

Selebian said:

Endillion said:

moonshine said:

FPT - Philip

Why?

Amateurs can only spot big things or near things; no earth based telescope can see any of the stuff we left on the moon. And you would expect probes to be competently stealthed.
  • Options

Stocky said:

Stocky said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Lawrence Fox and Richard Tice buying a pub together called 'The Fox and Tice.'

There will be no facemasks needed by customers and no vaccine passports required

https://twitter.com/PoliticsForAlI/status/1387031065202671617?s=20

So just like everywhere else from late June then...
    I suspect there will be facemasks still required in some pubs, certainly inside and until all are vaccinated
    Not from 21 June without breaching road map. If pubs do this it will be through their choice and they will get a stinging TripAdviser review from me if they do.
    ALL RESTRICTIONS will end on 21st June. Boris has said so.

In the real world, when they have to pull back from this utterly arbitrary declaration there will be hell to pay.

Not that I care. I have just booked train tickets for my son to come and visit once we drop into level 2 on 17th May. But which point I won't have seen him in 7 months. Can't wait!
    All LEGAL restrictions - it says.

So wearing of masks etc will not be legally enforced and I don't expect the government to renege on this.

However - my concern is that voluntary guidance will still be issued and despite this being voluntary only businesses and the like will continue to act as though they are legal requirements and, in effect, make them mandatory. The effect will be that we drag our heels from these restrictions at a slower pace that is necessary and businesses should be called out for this in some way.
    I almost with you.

There should be no legal restrictions and businesses should make their own choice that suits their own customers and their own needs.

If businesses customers don't want masks etc then it will be good business not to demand them.

But I don't think anyone should be "called out". It should be private choice. If a premise wants to go slower, for whatever reason, then so long as it's their choice then I respect that. I may shop elsewhere but there's no reason to call them out, be harsh on TripAdvisor or anything else so long as they're clear and upfront about expectation.

The overwhelming majority of businesses should and will do what the customers want.
    What you are basically saying is that businesses should be able to prescribe their own rules, including attire and perhaps even seeking medical information, even when such requirements are not legally required. Liberal democracy? What about minority view, when that minority view is perfectly legal?

What will happen is that the raft of commercial virtue-signalling will endure when it need not and fear will endure in the community when it need not.
  • Options

LOL.

I don't see the funny side of people getting harassed. Whether asylum seekers or not.

Anyone engaged in this should be prosecuted. This is harassment not free speech.
    I'm not a lawyer, but aren't they also trespassing?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

Where's Andrew?
    Andrew is now up to 10% approval from 7% approval last month, 79% disapprove so he has closed the gap with Meghan as the most unpopular royal (or ex royal)
    So he got a bump from Daddy's funeral?
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,592
    edited April 2021

Pulpstar said:

Only way that is practical is to offer the two year olds more screen time on their iPads and ice cream three times a day.
    Here is a Second World War gas mask for infants.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/ahistoryoftheworld/objects/yZ_Z6-JpSumc02m2QnQr4A

You might also remember the Doctor Who episode, The Empty Child.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=snFuvXMErSM
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0074ds9/doctor-who-series-1-9-the-empty-child?seriesId=b007vvcq
  • Options
    ClippPClippP Posts: 1,706

I though our magnificent government had prohibited all canvassing in these elections. Was there a special dispensation for Conservative canvassers?
  • Options
    ClippP said:

I though our magnificent government had prohibited all canvassing in these elections. Was there a special dispensation for Conservative canvassers?
    Electioneering was exempt from covid rules since about march.
  • Options

LOL.

It is also intimidation of the hotel and their guests. Banging on doors demanding to know who is in there could be construed as threatening behaviour or even assault. Trespass too.
    Who do these people think they are?
  • Options
    edited April 2021

ClippP said:

Electioneering was exempt from covid rules since about march.
    Canvassing is allowed again with facemasks and teams respecting rule of 6 yes, delivering leaflets also back on
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,130
    MaxPB said:

Pulpstar said:

Impossible. My niece is two and trying to get her to wear a mask would be hilarious because she'd never keep it on.
    Just make them look like spiderman and they'll lap it up.

• Options

Pulpstar said:

Here is a Second World War gas mask for infants.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/ahistoryoftheworld/objects/yZ_Z6-JpSumc02m2QnQr4A

You might also remember the Doctor Who episode, The Empty Child.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=snFuvXMErSM
    Are you my mummy?
  • Options
    Stocky said:

Stocky said:

Stocky said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

There will be no facemasks needed by customers and no vaccine passports required

I suspect there will be facemasks still required in some pubs, certainly inside and until all are vaccinated
    Not from 21 June without breaching road map. If pubs do this it will be through their choice and they will get a stinging TripAdviser review from me if they do.

In the real world, when they have to pull back from this utterly arbitrary declaration there will be hell to pay.

Not that I care. I have just booked train tickets for my son to come and visit once we drop into level 2 on 17th May. But which point I won't have seen him in 7 months. Can't wait!

So wearing of masks etc will not be legally enforced and I don't expect the government to renege on this.

However - my concern is that voluntary guidance will still be issued and despite this being voluntary only businesses and the like will continue to act as though they are legal requirements and, in effect, make them mandatory. The effect will be that we drag our heels from these restrictions at a slower pace that is necessary and businesses should be called out for this in some way.
    I almost with you.

There should be no legal restrictions and businesses should make their own choice that suits their own customers and their own needs.

If businesses customers don't want masks etc then it will be good business not to demand them.

But I don't think anyone should be "called out". It should be private choice. If a premise wants to go slower, for whatever reason, then so long as it's their choice then I respect that. I may shop elsewhere but there's no reason to call them out, be harsh on TripAdvisor or anything else so long as they're clear and upfront about expectation.

The overwhelming majority of businesses should and will do what the customers want.
    What you are basically saying is that businesses should be able to prescribe their own rules, including attire and perhaps even seeking medical information, even when such requirements are not legally required. Liberal democracy? What about minority view, when that minority view is perfectly legal?

What will happen is that the raft of commercial virtue-signalling will endure when it need not and fear will endure in the community when it need not.
    If you dont like their conditions of service, go elsewhere or even set up your own business.
  • Options
    Stocky said:

Stocky said:

Stocky said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

I almost with you.

What I'm saying is that if a firm is free to say a shirt must be worn, if a firm is free to say trainers can't be worn, then they should be free to say that masks must be. If they choose to do so that's their free choice.

Saying that firms are not permitted to require it is every bit as illiberal as saying that firms must require it.

If firms "virtue signal" in a way their customers dislike they'll lose business to those that don't. Their choice.
  • Options
    Exclusive: Ministers face legal action over Tory slogan used in taxpayer-funded adverts https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/politcal-slogans-good-law-project-build-back-better_uk_6087e186e4b003896e094a54
  • Options

Stocky said:

Stocky said:

Stocky said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

I almost with you.

If you dont like their conditions of service, go elsewhere or even set up your own business.
    That's basically what PT is saying and I see this logic but for me businesses are in danger of hampering our route from this mess and prolonging and projection fear along the way.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Exclusive: Ministers face legal action over Tory slogan used in taxpayer-funded adverts https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/politcal-slogans-good-law-project-build-back-better_uk_6087e186e4b003896e094a54

Your desperation is beginning to became comical
  • Options
    85% of DUP MLAs sign a letter calling for a leadership contest after they have been losing votes to the even more hardline Traditional Unionist Voice under Foster's leadership

https://twitter.com/SJAMcBride/status/1387062909935755265?s=20
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

LOL.

It is also intimidation of the hotel and their guests. Banging on doors demanding to know who is in there could be construed as threatening behaviour or even assault. Trespass too.
    Far right tossers with the intellectual capability of an amoeba.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,154
    edited April 2021
    ClippP said:

No prohibition once we had buried HRH.....

(And nobody told our LibDem opponent if there is!)
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 40,016
    HYUFD said:

The Queen now at +76%, William at +68%, Kate at +67%, Charles at +25%, Harry at -6% and Meghan at -32%.

Did they ask about the Princess Royal as next sovereign?

Also - that is a massive anti-monarchy majority as the UK monarchy by definition involves male primogeniture.

• Options

Scott_xP said:

Your desperation is beginning to became comical
    The thing about names that actually betray who they are. Good Law project is very rarely anything other than attempt to fight a culture war.
    Like the anti-fascists, a group of people who are as close to classical fascism as anything else in the west.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

New - No 10 spokesman: “Any costs of wider refurbishment this year beyond those provided for by the annual allowance have been met by the PM personally. Conservative Party funds are not being used for this”

Yes, there are hilarious echoes of " I did NOT have sexual RELATIONS with that woman......Miss Lewinsky"
  • Options

dixiedean said:

LOL.

Far right tossers with the intellectual capability of an amoeba.
    I mean, if you saw the Dorchester on the list. The effing Dorchester for goodness sake. Either its the Daily Mail's story of the century or its a ruse.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

Where's Andrew?
    "he has closed the gap with Meghan as the most unpopular royal"

Really? Andrew new -69% versus Meghan - 32%. Which leaves a "gap" of 37%.
  • Options
    Stocky said:

Stocky said:

Stocky said:

Stocky said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

I almost with you.

That's basically what PT is saying and I see this logic but for me businesses are in danger of hampering our route from this mess and prolonging and projection fear along the way.
    It's not the state's job to tell businesses how to act.

That's on their owners, managers, staff and customers.
  • Options

Stocky said:

Stocky said:

Stocky said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

I almost with you.

What I'm saying is that if a firm is free to say a shirt must be worn, if a firm is free to say trainers can't be worn, then they should be free to say that masks must be. If they choose to do so that's their free choice.

Saying that firms are not permitted to require it is every bit as illiberal as saying that firms must require it.

If firms "virtue signal" in a way their customers dislike they'll lose business to those that don't. Their choice.
    I get you - you are forwarding a libertarian point of view and giving corporate entities equal weighting re liberties with individual actors. This is way more important than shirts and trainers though, PT.

Just talking your custom elsewhere is not sufficient in my view. I'd like the government at least to make it clear that restrictions are voluntary from 21 June and absolutely not required so that at least someone like me can challenge said businesses with some weight.
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Also - that is a massive anti-monarchy majority as the UK monarchy by definition involves male primogeniture.

It isn't, 63% want to keep the monarchy to only 20% who want a republic in the poll plus male primogeniture was abolished by the Succession to the Crown Act 2013
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,528

The universe is only 13billion years old. It's actually still very young considering its supposed to go on for several trillion years yet. The earth is 4.5 billion years old, and life evolved fairly early on, 3.7 billion years ago. However the first multicellular life took another few billion years to evolve after that, and we have only been around for a miniscule amount of time (and are still nowhere near colonising Mars let along interstellar space).

Additionally, our Solar system is actually somewhat rare - most Stars are red dwarfs and few solar systems we've discovered so far resemble anything like ours. So we may be overestimating how many habitable planets there really are.

Considering our planet has been around for a third of the entire lifetime of the universe and we are the closest it's come to intelligent life, it doesn't seem that implausible that while primitive life is everywhere, we are one of the most advanced, or that other advanced races are not yet so far ahead of us that they can freely travel galaxies etc.

That doesn’t make any sense, given that the pace of human scientific advances has taken place in a millisecond in relation to galactic time. Consider the pace of scientific advance in the last 500 years, actually accelerating through that period, and project forward another 500 or 1000. If there is life somewhere else just this minute fraction of time ahead, we would be primitives by comparison.
  • Options

Stocky said:

Stocky said:

Stocky said:

Stocky said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

I almost with you.

It's not the state's job to tell businesses how to act.

That's on their owners, managers, staff and customers.
    I'm more tolerant of state intervention in the market than you are and it is this ideological difference that separates us I think.
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    Endillion said:

Selebian said:

Endillion said:

moonshine said:

FPT - Philip

Why?

It's a bit silly to think that civilisations capable of interstellar travel wouldn't image across the EM spectrum.

Along with more exotic stuff.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Just Primogeniture.

The Agnatic Cognatic element was abolished a few years ago.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

Yes, there are hilarious echoes of " I did NOT have sexual RELATIONS with that woman......Miss Lewinsky"
    Surely the head of the Conservative Party can be summoned to give testimony - under oath - on this? Say before a parliamentary inquiry?

To answer the question, were Conservative Party funds EVER paid out, loaned or anything else for the refurbishment of No. 10?

Definitely does sound like the Tory leader is channeling the ghost of Ron Ziegler . . .
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

It isn't, 63% want to keep the monarchy to only 20% who want a republic in the poll
    Yes. But about half of them haven't fully thought it through.
  • Options
    Stocky said:

Stocky said:

Stocky said:

Stocky said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

I almost with you.

I get you - you are forwarding a libertarian point of view and giving corporate entities equal weighting re liberties with individual actors. This is way more important than shirts and trainers though, PT.

Just talking your custom elsewhere is not sufficient in my view. I'd like the government at least to make it clear that restrictions are voluntary from 21 June and absolutely not required so that at least someone like me can challenge said businesses with some weight.
    Challenge them how? Arguing with staff is about the least productive and rudest way to deal with most premises.

An email that you intend to take your business elsewhere will tend to be much more productive.
  • Options
    TimTTimT Posts: 6,328
    MattW said:

RobD said:

Pulpstar said:

395,383 new vaccinations registered in 🇬🇧 yesterday

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 67,483 1st doses / 249,768 2nd doses
    🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 8,392 / 33,986
    🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿 7,972 / 11,565
    NI 6,848 / 9,369

Quite good for a Tuesday.

600k day tomorrow?

Anyone have a Required Run Rate for next targets?
    Which target do you want ?

The USA actually overtook us today in terms of doses/population*. They won't stay ahead.

* If you accept population figures of 67,886,004** & 331002647 as the raw populations

** ONS uses 66,796,807 as the estimate.

All adults first dose by end of July will be hit very very easily.
    US has 29.2% fully vaccinated

UK has 19.3% fully vaccinated (inflated by that nice Mr Drakeford's 21.6%!

https://ig.ft.com/coronavirus-vaccine-tracker/?areas=gbr&areas=isr&areas=usa&areas=eue&cumulative=1&populationAdjusted=1

Are we still using the phrase fully vaccinated given how efficacious the vaccines are even after one dose? Comparing how many people are protected is more important.
    It's the standard terminology.

But remember that those stats are actually 25% more as adults are only 80% of the population.
    Are they counting those who had COVID and one shot as fully vaccinated?
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,079
    dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

It isn't, 63% want to keep the monarchy to only 20% who want a republic in the poll
    People not thinking about it counts as a win for a monarchy - it's why it still exists in Canada.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:
    Haha, he is a remainer, just like all of Boris Johnsons family!

You have a remainer's decor! I’ll wager your flat has never been used as a rowing-boat. I’ll wager it’s never had sixteen shipwrecked mariners (leavers from Hartlepool) tossing in it. (with apols to Blackadder)
  • Options

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Just Primogeniture.

The Agnatic Cognatic element was abolished a few years ago.
    Oh, thanks. But obviously not completely yet.
  • Options
    DeClareDeClare Posts: 483
    IshmaelZ said:

Endillion said:

Selebian said:

Endillion said:

moonshine said:

FPT - Philip

Why?

Amateurs can only spot big things or near things; no earth based telescope can see any of the stuff we left on the moon. And you would expect probes to be competently stealthed.
    Any society that has such advanced technology that they are able to travel between Soler systems or even galaxies is not going to be very impressed with human nuclear weapons.

If such a society exists and has observed us, they probably regard us as we regard for example, fleas and ticks.

We are a form of pest that could easily be eradicated should the need arise.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

It isn't, 63% want to keep the monarchy to only 20% who want a republic in the poll plus male primogeniture was abolished by the Succession to the Crown Act 2013
    OK, primogeniture alone - but anyone against the present Duke of Rothesay as heir is stil by definition against the monarchy full stop. You can't just pick
    and choose the latest celeb royal from Hello.
  • Options
    FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 3,934
    Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Succession_to_the_Crown_Act_2013
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125
    ClippP said:

Not for the first time you are wrong.
  • Options

Stocky said:

Stocky said:

Stocky said:

Stocky said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

I almost with you.

Challenge them how? Arguing with staff is about the least productive and rudest way to deal with most premises.

An email that you intend to take your business elsewhere will tend to be much more productive.
    I wouldn't argue with anyone like that. Yes, an email would be the route.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

OK, primogeniture alone - but anyone against the present Duke of Rothesay as heir is stil by definition against the monarchy full stop. You can't just pick
    and choose the latest celeb royal from Hello.
    Wrong, Charles has a net +25% rating overall (far bigger than his lead over William as next King) and even in Scotland Charles is now on +10%
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,130
    edited April 2021
    Tucker Carlson is now telling his audience to harass people who wear face masks outside.

If they see children wearing masks, Tucker says the response should be no different than when you see a kid being abused -- "call the police immediately, contact child protective services"

https://twitter.com/justinbaragona/status/1386837979453399049

The video is worth a watch just to demonstrate how batshit crazy some people have become.
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

OK, primogeniture alone - but anyone against the present Duke of Rothesay as heir is stil by definition against the monarchy full stop.
    No, it means people don't think about things when they answer survey questions.

Rather than extrapolate whether people support the monarchy or not from other questions, a direct question of if they do seems a bit more straightforward. What the former may indicate is that the latter figure could change when there is a new monarch as support may be softer.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125

Scott_xP said:
    Haha, he is a remainer, just like all of Boris Johnsons family!

You have a remainer's decor! I’ll wager your flat has never been used as a rowing-boat. I’ll wager it’s never had sixteen shipwrecked mariners (leavers from Hartlepool) tossing in it. (with apols to Blackadder)
    And clearly one who has moved on with his life - unlike you..
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Tucker Carlson is now telling his audience to harass people who wear face masks outside.

If they see children wearing masks, Tucker says the response should be no different than when you see a kid being abused -- "call the police immediately, contact child protective services"

https://twitter.com/justinbaragona/status/1386837979453399049

The video is worth a watch just to demonstrate how batshit crazy some people have become.

I don't need a video to demonstrate that, I spend time on the internet.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

...and Vladimir maybe hasn't decided to convince the gullible and susceptible it is a good idea.
This discussion has been closed.