Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The Welsh look like cementing their role as the Mitch McConnell of British politics – politicalbetti

Comments

• Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited April 2021
    So Boris sacked Big Dom to ensure Allegra in the press secretary role, but then its more than likely she will be off in a few months as nought to do after months of doing nought.

Something has gone on behind the scenes.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,171
    dixiedean said:

Andy_JS said:

Andy_JS said:

Danny Finkelstein in the Times:

"The people who are furious, people like me, are already fans. We are insiders, keen to protect our familiar game, thrilled by contests we already enjoy. The Super League clubs believe that there are more people ready to be fans — young people, people in emerging economies in Africa and Asia — who are put off by the structure of the game. They argue that traditional football fans are ageing and not being replaced, and that it would be a disaster not to address this problem. This logic makes them conclude that the outsider — the person yet to be a fan — is more important than the insider. So the insiders are wrong to think fans hate it because these outsiders will love it. They just don’t know it yet." (£)

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/european-super-league-will-destroy-value-of-football-c7bh789qq

"The Super League is making the same mistake. Their research tells them that people love Manchester United playing Real Madrid and so they should put it on every week. But the one doesn’t follow from the other. What makes the game exciting is precisely that it doesn’t happen every week. A sip of it tastes great, a can of it does not. The Super League is the New Coke of sport."
    Hey Finkelstein!
    That was my line on PB yesterday.
    I'll settle for £100.
    He’s probably on here. I’m mean, how would we know? I’m not 100% sure that Leon fellow really knapsack flints for a living, and the teachers’ tales don’t make sense. Could be anyone.
  • Options
    FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 3,885

Another load of Cummings/Lee Cain era bollx is ditched.

One might say that the barnacles were being stripped from the hull.

Steven Swinford
    @Steven_Swinford
    Breaking:

Boris Johnson has axed plans for televised White House-style press conferences

What will they do with their brand new press room? A few Covid conferences and then that's it?
    What does that matter? Someone made a tidy profit out of it. I'm sure the donation to the party is in the post.
    I don't suppose it is the first thing that a government has spent money on only to abandon, and it certainly won't be the most expensive, but it would be good to know who got paid. The IT equipment was likely the most expensive part judging by the decor, though.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,936

kle4 said:

I'm glad Mercer refused to resign and so was officially sacked. Too often people are asked to resign and do, as though it saves face somehow, or that the leader will give them credit for playing ball in doing so, but everyone knows it is a sacking, so you might as well stick to your guns and make it official. I recall when May asked someone to resign and they didn't the initial report still tried to make it a kind of resignation, but eventually the news allowed that it had been a definitive sacking.
    So Mercer was sacked for trying to hold the PM to a promise the PM made relating to veterans? And yet some still insist that the lying sack of shit is somehow a champion of the armed forces.
    Yep. Mercer coms out of this very well, Johnson very badly.

Mercer saying he will continue to campaign for veterans from the back benches is a good warning shot.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,952

Arsenal now reportedly pulling out of ESL too

Who's gonna be last?
    Real Madrid v Real Madrid B on 18 consecutive Wednesdays?
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Suspect this means the government's new interest in reform of football will receive a nervous right back's punt over the stand.

I doubt it

I expect to see changes to prevent it happening again
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,183

dixiedean said:

Andy_JS said:

Andy_JS said:

"The people who are furious, people like me, are already fans. We are insiders, keen to protect our familiar game, thrilled by contests we already enjoy. The Super League clubs believe that there are more people ready to be fans — young people, people in emerging economies in Africa and Asia — who are put off by the structure of the game. They argue that traditional football fans are ageing and not being replaced, and that it would be a disaster not to address this problem. This logic makes them conclude that the outsider — the person yet to be a fan — is more important than the insider. So the insiders are wrong to think fans hate it because these outsiders will love it. They just don’t know it yet." (£)

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/european-super-league-will-destroy-value-of-football-c7bh789qq

"The Super League is making the same mistake. Their research tells them that people love Manchester United playing Real Madrid and so they should put it on every week. But the one doesn’t follow from the other. What makes the game exciting is precisely that it doesn’t happen every week. A sip of it tastes great, a can of it does not. The Super League is the New Coke of sport."
    Hey Finkelstein!
    I'll settle for £100.
    He’s probably on here. I’m mean, how would we know? I’m not 100% sure that Leon fellow really knapsack flints for a living, and the teachers’ tales don’t make sense. Could be anyone.
    We can be fairly sure your autocorrect doesn’t work, for a living or otherwise...
  • Options
    It didn't make sense to have 6 English clubs anyway. If Chelski and Citeh want to scab off then good riddance. The more clubs depart from whats left of the ESL, the funnier it will be when Arsenal still manage to play crap and not win it.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,198
    kle4 said:

£2.6 million was spent to have a live No 10 tv press briefing in the style of The West Wing.

Now totally ditched.

FFS.

Another Cummings moment.

Mega points to John Rentool I believe who said it would never happen when it was announced.

It's why he is called the Anabobazina of the commentariat.

If he is not Anabobazina that is, since Rentoul definitely reads PB headers.
    He does also post them on on his tweet feed to be fair
  • Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,341
    Man City pulling out too
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,964
    Sandpit said:

Andy_JS said:

"Biden says the evidence is 'overwhelming' in Derek Chauvin's trial and is 'praying for the right verdict' after he called George Floyd's family"

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9491069/Biden-called-George-Floyds-brother-Philonise-Derek-Chauvin-jury-sent-Minneapolis.html

That seems a very unwise comment by a president, even if its the truth, befote the actual verdict has been announced. If Trump had said something like that CNN would currently be running 24/7 on has Trump influenced the trial, could he cause the defendents lawyers to push for a retrial etc.
    One congresswoman has already raised the ire of the judge, now the President chiming in on a live trial - if it’s a guilty verdict, there will be an instant appeal.
    In both cases the jury won't see it as they are currently locked away..
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,721

So Boris sacked Big Dom to ensure Allegra in the press secretary role, but then its more than likely she will be off in a few months as nought to do after months of doing nought.

So what was Cummings offering other than 'Fight the system, man' juvenile posturing? I'm sure other people came up with ideas to streamline processes for important things, even if they did not have the PM's ear at the time, so even when he's gotten something right he was not irreplacable.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,198
    We have had a Jo Moore moment this evening.

Many attempt to perfect the Moore art but few can match the original.
  • Options

dixiedean said:

"Contracts signed last Saturday."
    Ironically they'll be out of pocket from their money grabbing.
    Shame.

Wouldnt be surprised if Real Madrid and some others sue the u-turners for $$$$ now.
    They are all meeting tonight

Odds on for mutual agreement to cancel the proposition with immediate effect
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623
    dixiedean said:

Who's gonna be last?
    Real Madrid v Real Madrid B on 18 consecutive Wednesdays?
    JP Morgan FC vs Real JP
    JP Morgan Athletic versus JP United
    etc.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,040
    ydoethur said:

Are there any Latin scholars on PB?

If so, make yourselves known, I can speak Latin, but I need your help before I potentially do some bad things to the Latin language.

Fear not, you can always claim you're using a mediaeval ecclesiastical variant.
    True, I'm trying to work out what the Latin for The Union* or Unionism is.

*The Union as in The United Kingdom.
    Hello, as it happens I just adsum iam forte.

Classical Latin has a number of options: societas Britannica; socii et nomen Britannicum; respublica Britannica; or, fittingly enough, just imperium.

Post-classical or late Latin has access to more abstracts like sociatio or foederatio. But I'm not sure what term was actually used in neo-Latin documents contemporary with the Act of Union.
    Cheers, I think I'll go for Societa Britannica.
    Gonnae squeeze this in?

Auferre trucidare rapere falsis nominibus imperium, atque ubi solitudinem faciunt, pacem appellant.
    I’d remind you the Caledonians lost that battle.
    Nowt wrong with learning from history, and a reminder of the sort of ****s we're dealing with.

I note Calgacus can be translated as ‘possessing a blade’; he’d have fitted right in to old Glega toon.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

So what was Cummings offering other than 'Fight the system, man' juvenile posturing? I'm sure other people came up with ideas to streamline processes for important things, even if they did not have the PM's ear at the time, so even when he's gotten something right he was not irreplacable.
    Inane flattery that convinced Johnson he was a man of destiny and not an overweight sex maniac?
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,362

kle4 said:

I'm glad Mercer refused to resign and so was officially sacked. Too often people are asked to resign and do, as though it saves face somehow, or that the leader will give them credit for playing ball in doing so, but everyone knows it is a sacking, so you might as well stick to your guns and make it official. I recall when May asked someone to resign and they didn't the initial report still tried to make it a kind of resignation, but eventually the news allowed that it had been a definitive sacking.
    So Mercer was sacked for trying to hold the PM to a promise the PM made relating to veterans? And yet some still insist that the lying sack of shit is somehow a champion of the armed forces.

Mercer saying he will continue to campaign for veterans from the back benches is a good warning shot.
    The slight problem with stopping the prosecutions of veterans is that is part of the NI peace process.

Plus, if you look at the cases and the evidence, it is pretty hard to argue with the ones going ahead.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,599

Steven Swinford
    @Steven_Swinford
    Breaking:

Does that mean Angela is going?
    Allegra will be spokesperson for the climate change conference says the Times.

LOL Fucking LOL.

For a few short weeks she thought she was CJ.

Reggie Perrin's boss?
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,193

The PL can now approve the Toon takeover just to piss off the "big 6". Howay Richard Masters

Why would you want another club run by the sort of big money shysters who tried to give us the Super League?
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,192
    edited April 2021
    never mind
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Stocky said:

I see Bailey is now ahead of Rose in the mayor odds with BF. 90/1 versus 100/1.

Cheers to whoever tipped a lay of Rose at 7 or thereabouts. @Quincel I think.

Another entry in the "oh, so you think betting markets are efficient do you?" file.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,189

kle4 said:

The slight problem with stopping the prosecutions of veterans is that is part of the NI peace process.

Plus, if you look at the cases and the evidence, it is pretty hard to argue with the ones going ahead.
    Prosecute, then pardon the convicted is what I’d do with the Northern Ireland cases.
  • Options
    Wulfrun_PhilWulfrun_Phil Posts: 4,600
    edited April 2021

LOL.

The fasted one out wins the thin double handed tinny cup they had planned.
    Just as I was getting used to the idea of the big 6 being retrospectively banned and Wolves discovering that we won the PL two seasons ago.

https://twitter.com/Wolves/status/1384437712393064451
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,540
    Scott_xP said:

@patrickkmaguire: Johnny Mercer and Allegra Stratton have pulled out of the European Super League, I understand

'Johnny Mercer' sounds like somebody who should have been in England's 1966 World Cup winning side.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,078
    edited April 2021

The PL can now approve the Toon takeover just to piss off the "big 6". Howay Richard Masters

Why would you want another club run by the sort of big money shysters who tried to give us the Super League?
    Because Ashley is a small money shyster who would have tried to give us the Super League, if he could.

Devil vs Devil with tons more cash who's willing to invest in the city.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,881

dixiedean said:

Shame.

Wouldnt be surprised if Real Madrid and some others sue the u-turners for $$$$ now.
    If there’s contracts in place worth billions for the rebel clubs, there’s going to be a total legal sh!t-show if it now doesn’t happen.
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,732

dixiedean said:

Shame.

Maybe, but the biggest losers would be Real Madrid and particularly Perez. Contracts were signed and commitments made, not sure Perez gives way so easily. Chelsea saying they will leave at earliest opportunity. Their commitment is for 23 years! Think they might have to pay some compo.

• Options

Steven Swinford
    @Steven_Swinford
    Breaking:

What will they do with their brand new press room? A few Covid conferences and then that's it?
    What does that matter? Someone made a tidy profit out of it. I'm sure the donation to the party is in the post.
    I don't suppose it is the first thing that a government has spent money on only to abandon, and it certainly won't be the most expensive, but it would be good to know who got paid. The IT equipment was likely the most expensive part judging by the decor, though.
    Yes, presumably there’s a full TV production suite in a room behind the one we’ve seen, and that’s where the actual money went.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,362
    tlg86 said:

kle4 said:

Prosecute, then pardon the convicted is what I’d do with the Northern Ireland cases.
    In light of the age of the defendants, they aren't going to serve time. Some of them should, though.
  • Options

It didn't make sense to have 6 English clubs anyway. If Chelski and Citeh want to scab off then good riddance. The more clubs depart from whats left of the ESL, the funnier it will be when Arsenal still manage to play crap and not win it.

I think the reason for 6 English clubs was to ensure they weren't all thrown out of the Premiership. That just wasn't an issue elsewhere as the other teams know they (like in Scotland) are (at best) playing for 3rd place.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

dixiedean said:

Shame.

If there’s contracts in place worth billions for the rebel clubs, there’s going to be a total legal sh!t-show if it now doesn’t happen.
    JP Morgan isn’t exactly a brand that will suffer from this, but I doubt they’d have allowed this to go public without contracts having been signed.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,062
    Hahahahahah

Well done everyone

And kudos to anabobazina
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    Sandpit said:

Steven Swinford
    @Steven_Swinford
    Breaking:

Yes, presumably there’s a full TV production suite in a room behind the one we’ve seen, and that’s where the actual money went.
    I wonder why they have ditched them....given Boris isn't exactly great at Q&A, having a pro front the media asking for the 1000 time about foreign holidays seems a senaible idea from the government perspective.

The clammer from the media will be for the return of a monthly PM Q&A session that Blair and Cameron, kinda, sorta, were supposed to have.
  • Options
    BBC

Barcelona and Atletico Madrid to leave ESL
  • Options

dixiedean said:

Shame.

Maybe, but the biggest losers would be Real Madrid and particularly Perez. Contracts were signed and commitments made, not sure Perez gives way so easily. Chelsea saying they will leave at earliest opportunity. Their commitment is for 23 years! Think they might have to pay some compo.

It’s disbanded. Official. It lasted a day
  • Options

If so, make yourselves known, I can speak Latin, but I need your help before I potentially do some bad things to the Latin language.

Classical Latin has a number of options: societas Britannica; socii et nomen Britannicum; respublica Britannica; or, fittingly enough, just imperium.

Post-classical or late Latin has access to more abstracts like sociatio or foederatio. But I'm not sure what term was actually used in neo-Latin documents contemporary with the Act of Union.
    Gonnae squeeze this in?

Auferre trucidare rapere falsis nominibus imperium, atque ubi solitudinem faciunt, pacem appellant.
    I'll see if I can try and crowbar it in.
  • Options

dixiedean said:

Shame.

Called it - see how close their statement ends up being to the below
    kle4 said:

Leon said:

This is exactly the right course for the EPL. The bluff has to be called

Give up playing in the greatest, most lucrative league in the world.... for what?!

Say you’re Liverpool or United and you now want to walk it back. What do you say? “Another boy did it and ran away”? “Those nasty boys from Spain made me do it”?
    IF, they decide they want to walk it back, which is far from certain, they'd say that they came up with a great idea which would have benefited everyone - stop laughing - and it is a shame that the Premier League and UEFA responded with such hostility to their kind and generous offer, but that for the sake of their players they will put the plans on hold for now, but that there are serious concerns with the current funding model and competition schedules that must be addressed.
  • Options

dixiedean said:

Shame.

They've signed up for 23 years?
    That could cost a fortune.
    Shame.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,887
    @sav4efc: Ive just heard that John Terry has pulled up at Stamford Bridge in his full Kit to join in the celebrations!
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,417

Something has gone on behind the scenes.

Simpler than that.

Apart from getting Kate Bingham in, this is still a government of clowns.

The fact that their cars blow up on a regular basis shouldn't be a shock.

"Form is temporary, class is permanent" as someone said.
  • Options
    I can't wait for the Premier League to apply the yearly "fit and proper owners" test and conclude the Glazer Family, FGS, Roman Abramovich, etc are "fit and proper owners". :D
  • Options
    Ed Woodward resigns from Manchester United
  • Options
    @SamanthaQuek: Ed Woodward has resigned as @ManUtd Chairman
  • Options

Gonnae squeeze this in?

I'll see if I can try and crowbar it in.
    It will be a mons-ter thread if you do.

(Disappointed nobody got my amazingly subtle William Wallace pun earlier, btw.)
  • Options
    Leon said:

dixiedean said:

Shame.

Almost feel bad for the ones trying to brazen it out less than 12 hours ago. Like a Minister defending a policy on TV and news breaks while they are there that the PM has u-turned. Couldn't even last a week.
  • Options

:lol:
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,541

Steven Swinford
    @Steven_Swinford
    Breaking:

LOL Fucking LOL.

She did get where she is today by trusting Boris ?
  • Options
    Ed Woodward has resigned as chairman of Manchester United
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,171
    ydoethur said:

dixiedean said:

Andy_JS said:

Andy_JS said:

Hey Finkelstein!
    I'll settle for £100.
    We can be fairly sure your autocorrect doesn’t work, for a living or otherwise...
    Dammit! I blame the iPad...
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Sandpit said:

dixiedean said:

Shame.

JP Morgan isn’t exactly a brand that will suffer from this, but I doubt they’d have allowed this to go public without contracts having been signed.
    Well exactly. Someone’s going to be sueing the arses off teams who committed two days ago, but now want to row back because their “legacy fans” don’t like it much.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

dixiedean said:

Andy_JS said:

Andy_JS said:

Hey Finkelstein!
    I'll settle for £100.
    Dammit! I blame the iPad...
    Don’t we all?
  • Options
    Does this mean we have to go back to talking about covid and brexit?
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Steven Swinford
    @Steven_Swinford
    Breaking:

LOL Fucking LOL.

She did get where she is today by trusting Boris ?
    A mis-spelling of "thrusting"?
  • Options

Wonderful news
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,952
    kle4 said:

tlg86 said:

Chelsea get to be the saints.

Could have been Liverpool last night.

I expect the rest to fold in the next few days

Fingers crossed
    It's over.

Maybe the whole thing was some weird wargame/negotiate positioning.

Indeed. Since I have said repeatedly on here since Sunday night.
    Sure, but if you don't ride the rollercoaster of emotion it's cheating. It's like those people who don't get overexcited by ebb and flow of results on election night.
    Be interesting to see the final Uefa settlement here, that’s still up for grabs. But overall it’s been a nakedly transparent gambit gone rather wonky. All very entertaining though.
  • Options

never mind

I have 2 elections to vote in and in both I only have 1 real choice (albeit it Labour for Durham Police Commissioner because the policies of the Tory candidate are insane if you know the real economics).

But I really do wonder what the Labour party were thinking when they've been picking candidates around here
  • Options

LOL. Whoops!
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    LMFAO. This is brilliant.

Good day for football.
  • Options

I can't wait for the Premier League to apply the yearly "fit and proper owners" test and conclude the Glazer Family, FGS, Roman Abramovich, etc are "fit and proper owners". :D

AIUI (and football bores me silly) the test is twofold:

1) Do you have fuckloads of money?

2) Will you spend it?

Answer ‘yes’ to those and you’re OK.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Leon said:

dixiedean said:

Shame.

Almost feel bad for the ones trying to brazen it out less than 12 hours ago. Like a Minister defending a policy on TV and news breaks while they are there that the PM has u-turned. Couldn't even last a week.
    One of the obvious problems was the only person who went on tv to back it was Perez, where were all the other chairmen and advocates? Weird they thought a one paragraph announcement could last on its own.
  • Options

I thought Nigelb reassured us they had war gamed this, the genius billionaires? Was this also part of their fiendishly brilliant plan, to make themselves look evil - and then resign?

LOLOLOL
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,704
    In the history of ill conviced notions this will rank right up there..

Only issue is they (apart from a few sacrificial lambs) will probably get away with it.
  • Options
    Anyway, time to start planning suitable punishments. A simple one surely is to declare that the stupid 6 are not fit and proper owners of a football club. Sorry boys, you fucked up. Away wi ye
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

2) Will you spend it?

Well we know for a fact that's untrue. Look at Newcastle.
  • Options
    Fair play to George W. Bush for calling it.

George W. Bush describes GOP as 'isolationist, protectionist and, to a certain extent, nativist' - CNNPolitics

https://edition.cnn.com/2021/04/20/politics/george-w-bush-republican-party/index.html
  • Options

Don't remember any of them killing a Journalist though (and I do want Ashley gone just not to Saudi).
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    Barcelona going to have a big problem in the summer when they have to repay 100m+ in loans to are due, before even thinking about that 1.4bn in the hole.
  • Options
    BromBrom Posts: 3,760
    Boris 1 Liverpool 0
  • Options

Roman was the first to go and broke the back of the evil league. Give him some credit. And a visa for residency
  • Options

Anyway, time to start planning suitable punishments. A simple one surely is to declare that the stupid 6 are not fit and proper owners of a football club. Sorry boys, you fucked up. Away wi ye

Yep. If you go for the King, you’d better not miss. Start by digging two graves...
  • Options
    eek said:

Don't remember any of them killing a Journalist though (and I do want Ashley gone just not to Saudi).
    Without starting this argument up again, PIF has not killed anyone. it's a corporate entity.

Regardless we all know Saudi Arabia is going to buy one of Arsenal, Liverpool, Spurs, or Manchester United and it will be totally fine.
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905

Of course not.

We have to go back to talking about Covid and Scotland.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

2) Will you spend it?

Mike Ashley only scores 25% and still passes.
  • Options
    The Glazers with Ed sat in the back. What a shambles this has been. https://twitter.com/Alan_Tonge/status/1384574581487325184/photo/1
  • Options

ydoethur said:

2) Will you spend it?

Well we know for a fact that's untrue. Look at Newcastle.
    Do we know they answered ‘yes’ to question 2?
  • Options
    What a clustermegafuck

Hilarious

The resignations suggest this was a serious plan. Not just a ploy
  • Options
    edited April 2021

eek said:

Without starting this argument up again, PIF has not killed anyone. it's a corporate entity.

Regardless we all know Saudi Arabia is going to buy one of Arsenal, Liverpool, Spurs, or Manchester United and it will be totally fine.
    The PIF leadership is remarkable similar to Saudi's leadership - I will leave it there..
  • Options
    Leon said:

Roman was the first to go and broke the back of the evil league. Give him some credit. And a visa for residency
    Giving him his residency back is something the govt could have offered on the sly. Watch for an announcement in a few months......
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

2) Will you spend it?

3) Have you ordered a journalist murdered and chopped into pieces?

4) Do you support piracy against those who've paid fuckloads for Premier League rights?

Answer 'yes' to the last of those and you're not OK. Answer to the third isn't actually relevant.
  • Options
    Great news for football and its fans

Well done to all on PB fighting against this, all the fans, UEFA and FIFA, and of course Boris
  • Options
    eek said:

never mind

I have 2 elections to vote in and in both I only have 1 real choice (albeit it Labour for Durham Police Commissioner because the policies of the Tory candidate are insane if you know the real economics).

But I really do wonder what the Labour party were thinking when they've been picking candidates around here
    JJJ - a godawful self-promoting shyster. Told Progress that she was their candidate, then told Momentum she was their candidate. Was rejected as potential candidate for Stockton South in 2017 because shite. Imposed as mayoral candidate thanks to Unite backing and their team telling CLPs an incorrect version of selection rules to only shortlist her. When CLPs decided to follow the rules they simply had the other candidate disbarred for something written in support of a non-Labour candidate before he was a party member. She celebrates her "selection" by doing the same crime without penalty. So many of the local activists loathe her and the campaign materials put out are hilariously bad.
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905

Barcelona going to have a big problem in the summer when they have to repay 100m+ in loans to are due, before even thinking about that 1.4bn in the hole.

Who deserves the tiniest violin?

(a) FC Barcelona
    (b) Ed Woodward
    (c) other
  • Options

eek said:

But PIF's top people helped violate the Premier League's TV rights in MENA.

Can you show me any other owners who have done that?
  • Options

eek said:

Regardless, we all know Saudi Arabia is now going to buy one of Arsenal, Liverpool, Spurs, or Manchester United and it will be totally fine.
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,540

Why's it all going wrong?

I don't know, but Woodward Would.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

City pulling out.

It’s all over.

Amazed it took this long.

Paging @Leon @Sandpit and everyone else who believed this rubbish.

Listen to me in future!

It's the people on here who thought the club owners were super geniuses who had planned everything out I feel most sorry for.
    I learned a great new phrase on PB today:

The Smart Room Paradox.

This was a perfect case study.
  • Options
    🚨 BREAKING: Andrea Agnelli has resigned as the president of Juventus after the backlash over the European Super League. #awlfc [talksport]
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    Perez will surely go too. Feck off you horrible old turtle. Catastrophe for Real M
  • Options
    Leon said:

Hahahahahah

Well done everyone

And kudos to anabobazina

Ha, cheers. But I’ve enjoyed the cut and thrust.

Glad it’s over as it was making my boy absolutely miserable.
  • Options

Who deserves the tiniest violin?

(a) FC Barcelona
    (b) Ed Woodward
    (c) other
    Keith Starmer?

Even this has become a good news story for the PM. 😂
  • Options
    RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,977
    edited April 2021
    So basically this super league rubbish has just shown us all the clubs who deserve support and those who don’t. Feel for those fans who support those 6 who attempted to break away
  • Options

eek said:

Regardless, we all know Saudi Arabia is now going to buy one of Arsenal, Liverpool, Spurs, or Manchester United and it will be totally fine.
    It won't be.

The PL will not let the value of their rights be diminished.

Anyone who does that will not be able to buy a PL club.

Remember the WTO published a report which showed the Saudis had been launching all sorts of IP violations and rights violations and what did the Saudis do?

Published a fake report with WTO logos on it saying the WTO says the Saudis had done nothing wrong.

This was during the time they were trying to prove to the PL that they were fit and proper owners.
  • Options
    FishingFishing Posts: 4,561

And scexit. Sounds good to me.
  • Options
    AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869

I would love to be able to claim plaintively that I come to PB to get away from football, but it wouldn't be true.

Good evening, everybody.
  • Options

So basically this super league rubbish has just shown us all the clubs who deserve support and those who don’t. Feel for those fans who support those 6 who attempted to break away

Liverpool have squandered a century of goodwill. Disaster
This discussion has been closed.