Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The Welsh look like cementing their role as the Mitch McConnell of British politics – politicalbetti

Comments

• Options
    PhilPhil Posts: 1,936
    edited April 2021

Sky's News presenter on the new "daily climate show" saying that in the future people will "need to eat less meat" or switch to a "plant based diet".

F**k right off. Not happening. Not even presented with an iota of balance that its an idea or that other ideas might be preferable.

Agriculture is a sizable carbon emitter & a big chunk of that goes on raising meat. Grass fed stuff is not so bad - that’s just an inefficient use of land (from the POV of max food production) it’s the US factory farm approach that’s incrediably carbon intensive: cattle kept in small lots & fed on soy beans & maize grown with the aid of fertilisers manufactured via the Haber process, which emits a lot of CO2. Plus cattle & sheep are themselves methane emitters, both directly & via breakdown of manure (this alone is ~6% of annual emissions according to my nearest source.)

But the big emitters are transport & energy production. Fix those & we’ll be a long, long way towards getting where we need to be.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,555
    Danny Finkelstein in the Times:

"The people who are furious, people like me, are already fans. We are insiders, keen to protect our familiar game, thrilled by contests we already enjoy. The Super League clubs believe that there are more people ready to be fans — young people, people in emerging economies in Africa and Asia — who are put off by the structure of the game. They argue that traditional football fans are ageing and not being replaced, and that it would be a disaster not to address this problem. This logic makes them conclude that the outsider — the person yet to be a fan — is more important than the insider. So the insiders are wrong to think fans hate it because these outsiders will love it. They just don’t know it yet." (£)

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/european-super-league-will-destroy-value-of-football-c7bh789qq
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,189
    Man City out too.

Spurs to be last out I reckon
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,952
    One wonders what other event could have caused this revelation at this moment?
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,721
    I'm glad Mercer refused to resign and so was officially sacked. Too often people are asked to resign and do, as though it saves face somehow, or that the leader will give them credit for playing ball in doing so, but everyone knows it is a sacking, so you might as well stick to your guns and make it official. I recall when May asked someone to resign and they didn't the initial report still tried to make it a kind of resignation, but eventually the news allowed that it had been a definitive sacking.
  • Options
    Dan Roan reckons City to follow soon.
  • Options
    Worth saying that Chelsea and Man City were probably the most disposable of the 12.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited April 2021

Sky's News presenter on the new "daily climate show" saying that in the future people will "need to eat less meat" or switch to a "plant based diet".

F**k right off. Not happening. Not even presented with an iota of balance that its an idea or that other ideas might be preferable.

Sky News for those that think the BBC isn't woke enough....

Seriously though, what's the point of Sky News these days? I think it used to attract an audience by appearing to show a bit more right leaning skirt, in the way CH4 is for the lefties. No wonder the likes of Adam Boulton viewing figures has gone sub 100k.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,175
    There are some parallels with coups and how to stop them with the failure of the Super League breakaway.

Widespread stated opposition, demonstration of opposition power with fans on the streets, coup leaders hadn't secured the support of the key power brokers - with the players' unwillingness to be banned from international football looking like a key stumbling block.
  • Options

City off too.

Whole thing imploding. Great to see.

Spanish and Italians are going to be annoyed at these Brits without spines.

Be funny if they managed to get together a new league regardless.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,940

tlg86 said:

Chelsea get to be the saints.

Could have been Liverpool last night.

I expect the rest to fold in the next few days

Fingers crossed
    It's over.

Maybe the whole thing was some weird wargame/negotiate positioning.

Indeed. Since I have said repeatedly on here since Sunday night.
  • Options
    ChameleonChameleon Posts: 3,886
    City and Chelsea were the two most reluctant to join clubs, and the only two not primarily ran as profit making ventures. Needs Man U/Liverpool to leave to make the English deck of cards fall.
  • Options

I am so going to spoil you tomorrow.

Morning thread - Scottish independence

Afternoon thread - Voting reform.

What about a thread explaining why Scotland can’t be independent because they would be poorer but football clubs can’t join the ESL because they would be richer?
    The original version did have a gratuitous insult about Scottish club football but I did remove it.
  • Options
    Time_to_LeaveTime_to_Leave Posts: 2,547

Boris told him to resign then sacked him...hmmm...that doesn't seem like a good move. A few good weeks of PR for the Boris and then does this.
    Why? That’s how ministerial sackings work.
  • Options

tlg86 said:

Chelsea get to be the saints.

Could have been Liverpool last night.

I expect the rest to fold in the next few days

Fingers crossed
    It's over.

Maybe the whole thing was some weird wargame/negotiate positioning.

Indeed. Since I have said repeatedly on here since Sunday night.
    Sure, but if you don't ride the rollercoaster of emotion it's cheating. It's like those people who don't get overexcited by ebb and flow of results on election night.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    Looooooool. It's all over.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,078
    https://twitter.com/HagridFCB/status/1384570332124753924

Reshad Rahman ✆
    @HagridFCB
    (🌕) JUST IN: Joan Laporta will not finalize Barcelona’s entry into the Super League until they have received the approval from socios. Without their ‘OK’, the Catalan Club won’t take part in the competition.
    @xavitorresll
    #ESL 🔵🔴🚨
  • Options
    kle4 said:

City off too.

How embarrassing, the Italians have more courage than the English.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,258

Boris told him to resign then sacked him...hmmm...that doesn't seem like a good move. A few good weeks of PR for the Boris and then does this.
    Minister sacked after realising the clown’s word is worthless shocker....
  • Options
    Oil Men 1 - 0 Americans
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,349

It's also a peace process thing.

Mercer was also suggesting (I believe) that instead of just prosecuting UK military veterans, that war crimes prosecutions be bought against opponents in various wars and actions the UK has been involved in. That would be an interesting can of worms.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,960
    edited April 2021
    Chameleon said:

City and Chelsea were the two most reluctant to join clubs, and the only two not primarily ran as profit making ventures. Needs Man U/Liverpool to leave to make the English deck of cards fall.

Not quite - with 15 clubs remaining in the current Premier League its possible that the others could now be thrown out - remember the 75% that some votes require, now they exist.

Unless someone else is offered founder membership but even Ashley wouldn't take the risk.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

"The people who are furious, people like me, are already fans. We are insiders, keen to protect our familiar game, thrilled by contests we already enjoy. The Super League clubs believe that there are more people ready to be fans — young people, people in emerging economies in Africa and Asia — who are put off by the structure of the game. They argue that traditional football fans are ageing and not being replaced, and that it would be a disaster not to address this problem. This logic makes them conclude that the outsider — the person yet to be a fan — is more important than the insider. So the insiders are wrong to think fans hate it because these outsiders will love it. They just don’t know it yet." (£)

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/european-super-league-will-destroy-value-of-football-c7bh789qq

"The Super League is making the same mistake. Their research tells them that people love Manchester United playing Real Madrid and so they should put it on every week. But the one doesn’t follow from the other. What makes the game exciting is precisely that it doesn’t happen every week. A sip of it tastes great, a can of it does not. The Super League is the New Coke of sport."
  • Options
    https://twitter.com/JacobsBen/status/1384570576237469697

Ben Jacobs
    @JacobsBen
    It's not just the English teams rapidly pulling out... senior sources at Atletico Madrid tell me they are OUT, too.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

City off too.

Very much a prisoner’s dilemma. I reckon City and Chelsea were weren’t keen on it but went for it because they thought they needed to be there at the start.

But now they’re probably thinking it won’t happen so best to be the first to get out.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,940
    City pulling out.

It’s all over.

Amazed it took this long.

Paging @Leon @Sandpit and everyone else who believed this rubbish.

Listen to me in future!
  • Options
    eek said:

Chameleon said:

Not quite - with 15 clubs remaining in the current Premier League its possible that the others could be thrown out - remember the 75% that some votes require, now they exist.

Unless someone else is offered founder membership but even Ashley wouldn't take the risk.
    Howay, Ashley is probably franticly flicking through this phone book trying to find Perez's number
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Boris's own brother quit his administration once, so I don't think anything will faze him in such matters. Hopefully Mercer doesn't get a makeup peerage though.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,960

eek said:

Sandpit said:

Andy_JS said:

Sandpit said:

Andy_JS said:

Sandpit said:

https://order-order.com/2021/04/20/watch-badenoch-calls-dawn-butlers-hate-stoking-race-comments-disgraceful/

Ouch, as the young people would say about five years ago "you got served". Kemi is rock solid... Parents migrated to the UK from west africa as professionals, very successful wave of highly skilled migration. Never underestimate the contempt that the more conservative, educated and traditional values holding west africans have for those who's family originate from the Caribbean and for those with a list of excuses.

Kemi is awesome on this stuff, she deserves a medal for the sh!t she’s getting.
    Might be worth putting a bet on her being the next Conservative leader.
    Betfair has her at 36 to back for next leader, but 80 to lay, showing the lack of liquidity in that market. If she was 75 to back, I’d be in. More realistically, she’s a good shout for leader after next.
    Depends how long Johnson hangs around for. I can't see KB taking over within the next 3 or 4 years.
    Indeed. The incumbent was put in place for a specific reason, a task which is mostly now accomplished. He’s not necessarily the right person to lead a government through a painful recovery. I can see Johnson becoming unstuck in the next year or two, in which case the next leader is probably between Sunak and Gove, with most of the outsiders very much outsiders.
    Doubt it's going to be Gove - given the choice who would you want fronting a campaign...
    The main advantage of PM Gove is that he would be the only PM who wouldn't behave to worry about Michael Gove plotting to stab him in the back.
    Disadvantage of PM Gove is that everyone knows he's a backstabbing c*** and we probably don't need that for the next few years. We need someone who can Schmooze without looking too obviously like a backstabbing c***
  • Options
    https://twitter.com/talkSPORT/status/1384572320346382336

talkSPORT
    @talkSPORT
    BREAKING: All 12 clubs are meeting tonight to discuss disbanding the Super League.

- talkSPORT sources understand.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,847
    Evening all :)

Mrs Stodge and I are in receipt of the racecard for the Mayor of London Stakes, run over four years, a handicap for three year olds of all ages. The ground likely to be on the slow side of soft.

Plenty of dead wood, animals and flowers in the card with some real selling platers on offer. One is apparently a full brother to Jeremy Corbyn, who was retired after a heavy defeat in the 2019 General Election Stakes.

The long odds-on favourite is the winner of the last running of the race in 2016. It's a race where past winners often follow up and Sadiq Khan from the Labour stable looks set to follow Boris Johnson and Ken Livingstone as a dual winner. Whether he should be as short as 1/25 is less certain but he's shown some impressive ratings in recent outings and could well win this unchallenged.

Second favourite is the Conservative runner Shaun Bailey but the stable's runner, Zak Goldsmith, was well beaten last time and Bailey's form is uninspiring. On current form, he's 20 lengths behind Khan and while he runs well in the outskirts, close to the centre he's moderate. He's not matched Khan on the figures though he's well clear of the rest of the field. He looks bothered for a distant second but could go on to better things in future contests.

The battle for minor honours is between a couple of lesser lights in Sian Berry and Luisa Porritt. Berry was third, beaten 30 lengths behind the runner up in the last renewal of this race and while she may get closer to the second place runner, Bailey, she has a significant challenge from Luisa Porritt. Porritt comes from the stable which supplied a decent third place runner in 2004 but recent efforts, especially since 2008, have been moderate.

Berry and Porritt are scrapping for the minor money and check if your bookie pays each way down to four places which they should in a 17-runner handicap.

There's a Fox, a Rose and a Gammons among the also-rans but many of them look outclassed and it may be most will give up before the home straight.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Andy_JS said:

"The Super League is making the same mistake. Their research tells them that people love Manchester United playing Real Madrid and so they should put it on every week. But the one doesn’t follow from the other. What makes the game exciting is precisely that it doesn’t happen every week. A sip of it tastes great, a can of it does not. The Super League is the New Coke of sport."
    Hey Finkelstein!
    That was my line on PB yesterday.
    I'll settle for £100.
  • Options
    Have I missed something? TV press conferences not going to happen? Has Ms Stretton pulled out in the way Chelsea have from the ESL?

https://twitter.com/HugoGye/status/1384570897365864450?s=19
  • Options
    "Biden says the evidence is 'overwhelming' in Derek Chauvin's trial and is 'praying for the right verdict' after he called George Floyd's family"

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9491069/Biden-called-George-Floyds-brother-Philonise-Derek-Chauvin-jury-sent-Minneapolis.html
  • Options
    kle4 said:

IanB2 said:

Boris's own brother quit his administration once, so I don't think anything will faze him in such matters. Hopefully Mercer doesn't get a makeup peerage though.
    When you have a majority of 80, you have the luxury of firing anyone you want.
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623
    If ESL was wargaming/negotiating it's turned out to be pretty awful wargaming/negotiating.

Everyone folds inside a day or two, no-one takes the threat of leaving seriously again, everyone involved tarnished to some degree and the crap-but-not-as-bad-as-the-alternative Champions League reforms pushed through already. Not exactly strengthening their position, are they?
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,847

Seriously though, what's the point of Sky News these days? I think it used to attract an audience by appearing to show a bit more right leaning skirt, in the way CH4 is for the lefties. No wonder the likes of Adam Boulton viewing figures has gone sub 100k.

Don't worry - GB News will be along soon to provide the news you want the way you want it.

• Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,175

City pulling out.

It’s all over.

Listen to me in future!

I think the plan was serious, but they bottled it in response to the opposition. Your view was that it was a negotiating ploy - but as a negotiating ploy it's been crap because now they're humiliated and have roused up an active opposition.

If it was a negotiating ploy they would have backed down after extracting concessions from UEFA. That's not happened has it?
  • Options
    edited April 2021

talkSPORT
    @talkSPORT
    BREAKING: All 12 clubs are meeting tonight to discuss disbanding the Super League.

The thing is as one or two have broken ranks already it is clearly chaos and definitely no negotiating power with UEFA....
  • Options

eek said:

Sandpit said:

Andy_JS said:

Sandpit said:

Andy_JS said:

Sandpit said:

https://order-order.com/2021/04/20/watch-badenoch-calls-dawn-butlers-hate-stoking-race-comments-disgraceful/

Ouch, as the young people would say about five years ago "you got served". Kemi is rock solid... Parents migrated to the UK from west africa as professionals, very successful wave of highly skilled migration. Never underestimate the contempt that the more conservative, educated and traditional values holding west africans have for those who's family originate from the Caribbean and for those with a list of excuses.

Kemi is awesome on this stuff, she deserves a medal for the sh!t she’s getting.
    Might be worth putting a bet on her being the next Conservative leader.
    Betfair has her at 36 to back for next leader, but 80 to lay, showing the lack of liquidity in that market. If she was 75 to back, I’d be in. More realistically, she’s a good shout for leader after next.
    Depends how long Johnson hangs around for. I can't see KB taking over within the next 3 or 4 years.
    Indeed. The incumbent was put in place for a specific reason, a task which is mostly now accomplished. He’s not necessarily the right person to lead a government through a painful recovery. I can see Johnson becoming unstuck in the next year or two, in which case the next leader is probably between Sunak and Gove, with most of the outsiders very much outsiders.
    Doubt it's going to be Gove - given the choice who would you want fronting a campaign...
    The main advantage of PM Gove is that he would be the only PM who wouldn't behave to worry about Michael Gove plotting to stab him in the back.
    Never heard of self sabotaging behaviour?
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,305
    Andy_JS said:

New Zealand has said it will no longer confront China over human rights as part of the 'Five Eyes' intelligence network, reversing an earlier commitment to its allies.

Foreign minister Nanaia Mahuta said New Zealand was 'uncomfortable' with pressuring Beijing and wanted to pursue its own relationship with its largest trading partner.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9490407/New-Zealand-backs-Five-Eyes-alliance-wants-human-rights-raised-broader-group.html

Ridiculous decision. Is political correctness responsible for this?
    If it's true it's rank cowardice from New Zealand. They have succumbed to bullying.

They will gain neither liberty nor security by it, and will lose both.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,870
    Andy_JS said:

"Biden says the evidence is 'overwhelming' in Derek Chauvin's trial and is 'praying for the right verdict' after he called George Floyd's family"

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9491069/Biden-called-George-Floyds-brother-Philonise-Derek-Chauvin-jury-sent-Minneapolis.html

That’s a really stupid thing for Biden to say, while the jury are out.
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,416

Reshad Rahman ✆
    @HagridFCB
    (🌕) JUST IN: Joan Laporta will not finalize Barcelona’s entry into the Super League until they have received the approval from socios. Without their ‘OK’, the Catalan Club won’t take part in the competition.
    @xavitorresll
    #ESL 🔵🔴🚨

https://imgur.com/t/punt_and_dennis/Piq33

Not only is the master plan not going to happen, those behind it look like they're going to get less than nothing in return.

Thank goodness that evil greed is so often accompanied by rank stupidity.
  • Options
    FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 3,885
    Phil said:

Agriculture is a sizable carbon emitter & a big chunk of that goes on raising meat. Grass fed stuff is not so bad - that’s just an inefficient use of land (from the POV of max food production) it’s the US factory farm approach that’s incrediably carbon intensive: cattle kept in small lots & fed on soy beans & maize grown with the aid of fertilisers manufactured via the Haber process, which emits a lot of CO2. Plus cattle & sheep are themselves methane emitters, both directly & via breakdown of manure (this alone is ~6% of annual emissions according to my nearest source.)

But the big emitters are transport & energy production. Fix those & we’ll be a long, long way towards getting where we need to be.
    Is grass really inefficient? In this country we grow grass mostly where other crops would fail due to ground conditions or climate.

You could argue that we over-fertilise the grass, certainly, but without animals, what happens to all our hay meadows?

In the US and Brazil it is a different matter.
  • Options
    https://twitter.com/RichJolly/status/1384571878409441281

Richard Jolly
    @RichJolly
    There is a growing possibility that Jose Mourinho may be the only European Super League manager ever to be sacked. The Special One.
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    Andy_JS said:

That seems a very unwise comment by a president, even if its the truth, befote the actual verdict has been announced. If Trump had said something like that CNN would currently be running 24/7 on has Trump influenced the trial, could he cause the defendents lawyers to push for a retrial etc.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,187
    dixiedean said:

Dan Roan reckons City to follow soon.

Pep was very strong on this. Just said straight up it was a nonsense.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,181
    An inversion of an old favourite. ‘You can’t resign, I’ve sacked you.’
  • Options

GB news is going to be great, I've no doubt in the early days they'll oversteer a bit to the left to prove they are not a UK fox news. Cant wait.
  • Options

If ESL was wargaming/negotiating it's turned out to be pretty awful wargaming/negotiating.

Everyone folds inside a day or two, no-one takes the threat of leaving seriously again, everyone involved tarnished to some degree and the crap-but-not-as-bad-as-the-alternative Champions League reforms pushed through already. Not exactly strengthening their position, are they?

Exactly the kind of plan you would expect from the brains behind the Tory campaign in 2017.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826

Looks like Chelsea have folded.

https://twitter.com/danroan/status/1384563875018952709

Dan Roan
    @danroan
    BREAKING
    I understand Chelsea are now preparing documentation to request withdrawing from the ESL

One down . . .

• Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    tlg86 said:

Man City out too.

Spurs to be last out I reckon

Arsenal, American owners and struggling most to break into the top 4.
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    Are we sure Big Dom hasn't been advising the teams on the ESL?
  • Options
    Time_to_LeaveTime_to_Leave Posts: 2,547
    Sandpit said:

Andy_JS said:

That’s a really stupid thing for Biden to say, while the jury are out.
    Do they have such different laws that this is ok, and the standard “I can’t comment on a live court case” line isn’t accepted by all?
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

That seems a very unwise comment by a president, even if its the truth, befote the actual verdict has been announced. If Trump had said something like that CNN would currently be running 24/7 on has Trump influenced the trial, could he cause the defendents lawyers to push for a retrial etc.
    One congresswoman has already raised the ire of the judge, now the President chiming in on a live trial - if it’s a guilty verdict, there will be an instant appeal.
  • Options

Reshad Rahman ✆
    @HagridFCB
    @xavitorresll
    #ESL 🔵🔴🚨

You can't do superleagues without Barca.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,031

Are there any Latin scholars on PB?

If so, make yourselves known, I can speak Latin, but I need your help before I potentially do some bad things to the Latin language.

Fear not, you can always claim you're using a mediaeval ecclesiastical variant.
    True, I'm trying to work out what the Latin for The Union* or Unionism is.

*The Union as in The United Kingdom.
    Hello, as it happens I just adsum iam forte.

Classical Latin has a number of options: societas Britannica; socii et nomen Britannicum; respublica Britannica; or, fittingly enough, just imperium.

Post-classical or late Latin has access to more abstracts like sociatio or foederatio. But I'm not sure what term was actually used in neo-Latin documents contemporary with the Act of Union.
    Cheers, I think I'll go for Societa Britannica.
    Gonnae squeeze this in?

Auferre trucidare rapere falsis nominibus imperium, atque ubi solitudinem faciunt, pacem appellant.
  • Options

talkSPORT
    @talkSPORT

The thing is as one or two have broken ranks already it is clearly chaos and definitely no negotiating power with UEFA....
    And this is the big thing here. I can believe Anabobazina was right this was never really going to happen, but if so then it was a ploy to get something else, and the universal nature of the reaction against the plans, the level of the reaction against it, and it coming apart in bits and pieces now, surely means that they will struggle to get as much of what they wanted now.

They'll probably still get something more out of it, not least because people seem to agree UEFA's plans are garbage, but they could have gone in from a position of strength, a united front of big clubs with an idea unpopular with some, but powerful. Instead of going in as a bunch of incompetent, weak spined fools.
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    Sandpit said:

Andy_JS said:

One congresswoman has already raised the ire of the judge, now the President chiming in on a live trial - if it’s a guilty verdict, there will be an instant appeal.
    How hard is it to say I can't comment on an ongoing trial, especially of such significant?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

I'm glad Mercer refused to resign and so was officially sacked. Too often people are asked to resign and do, as though it saves face somehow, or that the leader will give them credit for playing ball in doing so, but everyone knows it is a sacking, so you might as well stick to your guns and make it official. I recall when May asked someone to resign and they didn't the initial report still tried to make it a kind of resignation, but eventually the news allowed that it had been a definitive sacking.
    So Mercer was sacked for trying to hold the PM to a promise the PM made relating to veterans? And yet some still insist that the lying sack of shit is somehow a champion of the armed forces.
  • Options

Are there any Latin scholars on PB?

If so, make yourselves known, I can speak Latin, but I need your help before I potentially do some bad things to the Latin language.

Fear not, you can always claim you're using a mediaeval ecclesiastical variant.
    True, I'm trying to work out what the Latin for The Union* or Unionism is.

*The Union as in The United Kingdom.
    Hello, as it happens I just adsum iam forte.

Classical Latin has a number of options: societas Britannica; socii et nomen Britannicum; respublica Britannica; or, fittingly enough, just imperium.

Post-classical or late Latin has access to more abstracts like sociatio or foederatio. But I'm not sure what term was actually used in neo-Latin documents contemporary with the Act of Union.
    Cheers, I think I'll go for Societa Britannica.
    Gonnae squeeze this in?

Auferre trucidare rapere falsis nominibus imperium, atque ubi solitudinem faciunt, pacem appellant.
    I’d remind you the Caledonians lost that battle.
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,137

Andy_JS said:

New Zealand has said it will no longer confront China over human rights as part of the 'Five Eyes' intelligence network, reversing an earlier commitment to its allies.

Foreign minister Nanaia Mahuta said New Zealand was 'uncomfortable' with pressuring Beijing and wanted to pursue its own relationship with its largest trading partner.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9490407/New-Zealand-backs-Five-Eyes-alliance-wants-human-rights-raised-broader-group.html

Ridiculous decision. Is political correctness responsible for this?
    If it's true it's rank cowardice from New Zealand. They have succumbed to bullying.

They will gain neither liberty nor security by it, and will lose both.

Saint Jacinda, her halo is slipping. 😂
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,193

Seems like the sounds of a Cummings game move. But Mr Optician is long gone...
  • Options
    Super Boris stared down the might of global capital and triumphed for the red wall! 🇬🇧🇬🇧 Gerrin' Bozza
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    kle4 said:

talkSPORT
    @talkSPORT

And this is the big thing here. I can believe Anabobazina was right this was never really going to happen, but if so then it was a ploy to get something else, and the universal nature of the reaction against the plans, the level of the reaction against it, and it coming apart in bits and pieces now, surely means that they will struggle to get as much of what they wanted now.

They'll probably still get something more out of it, not least because people seem to agree UEFA's plans are garbage, but they could have gone in from a position of strength, a united front of big clubs with an idea unpopular with some, but powerful. Instead of going in as a bunch of incompetent, weak spined fools.
    As I said throughout the day, if they had announced genuine european league, where they were the shareholders, I think they win. People do want to see that sort of competition, if it was guaranteed to be the best European clubs every season.

The 12 being the shareholders have the thumb.on the scale to ensure as best as possible they are in it and even if they aren't they benefit enormously....which is better than current CL, where Arsenal miss out and that's £60m down the tubes.
  • Options
    Another load of Cummings/Lee Cain era bollx is ditched.

One might say that the barnacles were being stripped from the hull.

Steven Swinford
    @Steven_Swinford
    Breaking:

Boris Johnson has axed plans for televised White House-style press conferences
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Andy_JS said:

How hard is it to say I can't comment on an ongoing trial, especially of such significant?
    Indeed. There’s plenty of legal commentators who think the procecution haven’t really made their case for the murder charge, if it’s a not guilty verdict there’s almost certainly going to be massive civil unrest across the country. The last thing that’s needed now, is politicians pouring fuel on the fire.
  • Options

Have I missed something? TV press conferences not going to happen? Has Ms Stretton pulled out in the way Chelsea have from the ESL?

https://twitter.com/HugoGye/status/1384570897365864450?s=19

They "spent" £2.6m of public money on something that none of the hacks who've seen it can conceive how it could have cost that much. And now they have dropped the whole idea.

So, who got the £2.6m then? This is straight out of Unite's playbook...
  • Options

City pulling out.

It’s all over.

Listen to me in future!

I think the plan was serious, but they bottled it in response to the opposition. Your view was that it was a negotiating ploy - but as a negotiating ploy it's been crap because now they're humiliated and have roused up an active opposition.

If it was a negotiating ploy they would have backed down after extracting concessions from UEFA. That's not happened has it?
    People power - ✊☺
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

Floater said:

I assume this would be grounds of appeal (leaving aside the comments from the congress woman the other day)

Biden says the evidence is 'overwhelming' in Derek Chauvin's trial and is 'praying for the right verdict'

American sub judice rules aren't as strict over here.

You should hear what the DA's say when they charge the accused for example.
    You are correct. On the other hand, Americans - especially lawyers - are often shocked by things that British judges will say on the bench during trials.

Seems like putting on the big wig and sitting in the highchair, gives them leave to say any damn thing that pops into their heads.

Including the kind of remarks that would result in VERY strong negative response by appeals courts, up to and including reversal of verdicts.
    Hizzoner Joseph Cantley's summing in the Thorpe trial was something else.

I cannot tell the difference between the transcript of that and Peter Cook's performance in The Secret Policeman's Ball.
    I'm still struggling with the Judge's instruction to the jury in the Paddy Jackson rape case.

"Sure, all the defendents are clearly lying but ignore that and focus on the inconsistencies in the victim's evidence"
  • Options
    kle4 said:

talkSPORT
    @talkSPORT

What they’ll get is a revision to the PL articles that says you are automatically expelled from the league if you pull a stunt like this.
  • Options
    FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 3,885
    edited April 2021

Steven Swinford
    @Steven_Swinford
    Breaking:

What will they do with their brand new press room? A few Covid conferences and then that's it?
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,518

Floater said:

I assume this would be grounds of appeal (leaving aside the comments from the congress woman the other day)

Biden says the evidence is 'overwhelming' in Derek Chauvin's trial and is 'praying for the right verdict'

He's right, but America's a different country so the wrong verdict may be coming.

But in America people commenting on court cases isn't as verboten as it is here. Plus the jury are currently sequestered so shouldn't hear this.
    While I think the comments a mistake, he did specifically wait until the jury were sequestered before making them.
  • Options
    £2.6 million was spent to have a live No 10 tv press briefing in the style of The West Wing.

Now totally ditched.

FFS.

Another Cummings moment.

Mega points to John Rentool I believe who said it would never happen when it was announced.
  • Options
    edited April 2021

Steven Swinford
    @Steven_Swinford
    Breaking:

Does that mean Allegra is going?
  • Options

Steven Swinford
    @Steven_Swinford
    Breaking:

What will they do with their brand new press room? A few Covid conferences and then that's it?
    What does that matter? Someone made a tidy profit out of it. I'm sure the donation to the party is in the post.
  • Options
    ChameleonChameleon Posts: 3,886
    tlg86 said:

kle4 said:

talkSPORT
    @talkSPORT

What they’ll get is a revision to the PL articles that says you are automatically expelled from the league if you pull a stunt like this.
    Already their 'do what we want or we'll walk away' threat that they always use will no longer be a credible option.
  • Options
    The PL can now approve the Toon takeover just to piss off the "big 6". Howay Richard Masters
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Pride themselves on what now?

The decision was taken by owner Roman Abramovich and the Chelsea board after witnessing negative global reaction to the Super League.

There was a fear that it could do reputational damage to a club which prides itself on its anti-Semitism and community work

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/live/football/56581964

Whoops :lol:

Although I think it was George W Bush who said he was against all forms of bigotry- ‘I believe our party must stand for anti-racism and anti-Semitism.’
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,416

Steven Swinford
    @Steven_Swinford
    Breaking:

Never speak of it again, I suspect.

Totally unrelated to this, I'm sure;

https://twitter.com/paulwaugh/status/1384550537044037635?s=19
  • Options

Steven Swinford
    @Steven_Swinford
    Breaking:

Does that mean Angela is going?
    Angela ?

Maybe Allegra
  • Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,341
    Arsenal now reportedly pulling out of ESL too
  • Options

Steven Swinford
    @Steven_Swinford
    Breaking:

Allegra will be spokesperson for the climate change conference says the Times.

LOL Fucking LOL.

For a few short weeks she thought she was CJ.

• Options
    eek said:

Let me just say the Airtags may change the world as profoundly as the iPod and the iPhone.

How are they any different to Tile ?
    Because they are made and designed by Apple.

Apple = Da Best.
    You mean like when they made that Sonos killer.....The brilliance of thr iPhone was it was clearly much better, a step.change, same with the iPad....the tags, Tile and about 4-5 other companies been making them for years, I don't see how they are better...and doesn't it use the same tech as the COVID tracking app that is kinda of crap because bluetooth has severe limitations.
    I still have Slimdevices Squeezeboxes that I continually nurse to keep going.

The fact they have a screen showing what is being played and a simple remote means they trump Sonos and I can't be bothered to change now...

Ditto. The best thing about the squeezebox system is that it is open-source software. This means that it has kept up to date with all the streaming services, including BBC sounds, through various plugins designed by the community. I use it as a server, run on a raspberry pi, which provides music to various different speakers around the house through chromecast audio devices, upnp speakers, raspberry pi DACS etc. The only downside is that to get the best out of it, you need to have some computer knowledge.

• Options

£2.6 million was spent to have a live No 10 tv press briefing in the style of The West Wing.

Now totally ditched.

FFS.

Another Cummings moment.

Mega points to John Rentool I believe who said it would never happen when it was announced.

It's why he is called the Anabobazina of the commentariat.

If he is not Anabobazina that is, since Rentoul definitely reads PB headers.
  • Options
    Is the ditching of £2m quids worth of press room bollocks being buried under the Super League news????

• Options
    "Contracts signed last Saturday."
    Ironically they'll be out of pocket from their money grabbing.
    Shame.
  • Options

Arsenal now reportedly pulling out of ESL too

LOL.

The fasted one out wins the thin double handed tinny cup they had planned.
  • Options

Steven Swinford
    @Steven_Swinford
    Breaking:

Angela ?

Maybe Allegra
    Bloody autocorrect...
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Andy_JS said:

Indeed. There’s plenty of legal commentators who think the procecution haven’t really made their case for the murder charge, if it’s a not guilty verdict there’s almost certainly going to be massive civil unrest across the country. The last thing that’s needed now, is politicians pouring fuel on the fire.
    Exactly - plus offering up hopes of an appeal or mistrial
  • Options
    Suspect this means the government's new interest in reform of football will receive a nervous right back's punt over the stand.
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,716
    dixiedean said:

"Contracts signed last Saturday."
    Ironically they'll be out of pocket from their money grabbing.
    Shame.

Wouldnt be surprised if Real Madrid and some others sue the u-turners for $$$$ now.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,914
    Arsenal and Spurs to play each other 40 times ?
This discussion has been closed.