Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

With 6 weeks to go till the Scottish election support for independence edges upwards – politicalbett

SystemSystem Posts: 11,002
edited March 2021 in General
imageWith 6 weeks to go till the Scottish election support for independence edges upwards – politicalbetting.com

With all the polling ahead of the Scottish election on May 6th the two sets of numbers I am following the most are the ones on Scottish independence and Nicola sturgeon’s personal ratings.

Read the full story here

Comments

• FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    EU ratnering their brand....

JOHN HUMPHRYS: This has destroyed the faith of an old Remainer like me

BBC news presenters like to pretend that they are impartial – except when it comes to distinguishing between good and evil. They have no choice. That's the test that the great Lord Reith set a century ago and, by and large, it applies today. But it's not easy.

I failed in the eyes of many listeners when I was presenting the Today programme in the long run-up to the EU referendum in 2016. They accused me of being so biased in favour of Brexit that I never gave the Remainers a fair chance to state their case. They were right about me being biased – but wrong about where my bias lay.

I was so determined not to show my true colours that I might just possibly have given Remainers a slightly rougher ride than they deserved when I interviewed them. In the highly charged atmosphere of the most bitterly fought referendum in this nation's history, that was more than enough to condemn me in the eyes of Remainers.

The fact is, I was one of them: A Remainer through and through.

But this week it's hard for an old Remainer like me, waiting to have his second jab, not to muse on his referendum vote back in 2016 and wonder whether he might have voted differently if he'd known then what he knows now.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9399515/Brussels-dramatic-climbdown-officials-offer-work-UK-win-win.html
    edited March 2021

Oh bullfuckingshit! 😡

What a crock.

Sorry for my language.
    Don't worry, it will have died within five years at this current rate of decline. Nobody will pay a licence fee by then.
    I'm very tempted to cancel mine.

The law says I need it because I watch Sky Sports, but I'm reaching the point where I feel stuff that. Its beyond a joke now.
    The thing is, its totally unenforceable.
    edited March 2021

twitter.com/MrHarryCole/status/1374844345036201991/photo/1

I just can't see any pub doing it. What pub that has been closed off and on for nearly a year is going to turn down business, and that's before the issue of trying to tell the public who are gagging to get back down the pub, sorry lad, your names not down your not coming in. There will be riots.
  • I expect the SNP to gain a small majority but not convinced about the mandate for indyref2

I think it is too close to call
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,748
    I wonder if this is connected to the increase in needledick bluster lately?

https://twitter.com/skynews/status/1374675577886674944?s=21
  • LeonLeon Posts: 46,222

The weird thing is, whenever I hear the phrase "malformed genitalia" (as used in that shocking report) I automatically think of your face
    edited March 2021
    Amazon getting more sports rights....they recently bought up more NFL rights. I would be rather concerned if I was Sky Sports, that Amazon and Disney / ESPN are going to come and put them out of business.

https://twitter.com/hendopolis/status/1374850619413045255?s=20
  • SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,227

If anything can result in a decisive increase in concern re: climate change, THIS is it!
  • Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 48,911

I fear @Philip_Thompson 's account has been taken over by a Chinese bot!

EDIT and @SeaShantyIrish2 as well!

What makes you say that? Need for bogus debating points?

OR could it be, that you are really a bot yerself?

After all, you have TEN TIMES the number of comments on PB than yours truly. But methinks that as far as CONTENT is concerned, mine is about ten times more substantive.

Though you ARE mildly amusing from time to time.
    I rescind the 2nd from last sentence! After all, Sunil IS one of our more eminent (if that's the word) PBers.
    I am NOT, repeat NOT, a Chinese Bot! I merely post from my dacha over looking a huge Troll-Farm near the spa-town of NovoSunilsk!
  • Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826

Why would a pub landlord, desperate for trade after months of closure, want to take up the ability to ask to see a vaccine certificate? That would rule out all thirsty under 40s for months.

Its not likely to happen.

Right that the landlord should have the choice, if they want to do that, but the overwhelming majority will not want to do that.

More sense for SAGA style cruise ships in practice. Maybe the odd exceptional pub but they'd be the exception not the norm.

I just can't see any pub doing it. What pub that has been closed off and on for nearly a year is going to turn down business, and that's before the issue of trying to tell the public who are gagging to get back down the pub, sorry lad, your names not down your not coming in. There will be riots.
    Perhaps you should look for a slightly more sedate local?

OR do you enjoy "rolling around in the mud and the blood and the beer?"
  • Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 48,911
    edited March 2021

Hmmm.... concerning. When I measured my cock in my student days, say 25 years back, it was 15 centimetres, but when I measured it a few weeks back it was only 6 inches :open_mouth:

EDIT: Ooops - wrong forum!

Round my way, it will be a strongly worded letter to the local newsletter and angry WhatsApp / Facebook group messages. Elsewhere, it will be pitched battles.

The only ones I can imagine doing it are small ones with lots of reliable elderly regulars who don't want someone taking the piss and risking their safety. But if that's what the landlord and the regulars want that should be their free choice, the others will choose differently.
  • Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    edited March 2021

I expect the SNP to gain a small majority but not convinced about the mandate for indyref2

The fun and games are just getting started.

What do you think's going to happen if the Welsh polls are anything close to accurate and Plaid ends up controlling the balance of power again - especially now that Labour has started actively promoting pro-independence candidates?

Yep, we're going to have both the Scottish and Welsh Parliaments demanding votes on secession, loudly and continuously, at the same time. For five interminable years. Joy.
  • I expect the SNP to gain a small majority but not convinced about the mandate for indyref2

What do you think's going to happen if the Welsh polls are anything close to accurate and Plaid ends up controlling the balance of power again - especially now that Labour has started actively promoting pro-independence candidates?

Yep, we're going to have both the Scottish and Welsh Parliaments demanding votes on secession, loudly and continuously, at the same time. For five interminable years. Joy.
    You have a strange idea Wales has the same direction as Scotland

Please take it from me Welsh Independence is not on the agenda anytime soon and not with the help of labour either

I expect the SNP to gain a small majority but not convinced about the mandate for indyref2

Wales doesn't want indy, they want attention

As for Scotland, Canada coped with Quebec, and Canada remains united. Hold your nerve, under fire, Sergeant Rook
    Have just checked out all of the "contributions" in the House of Lords of The Baroness Fox of Buckley.

What a windbag. She must think she's getting paid by the word!

I echo several of her fellow peers, in response to her remarks of Feb 25, 2021 (as quoted in Hansard).

"Too long."

My fearless prediction, is that her elevation to the red benches will come back to bite Boris one fine day . . .

Please take it from me Welsh Independence is not on the agenda anytime soon and not with the help of labour either
    Do you think that Welsh independence would get a boost IF Scotland left the Union?

Do you think that Welsh independence would get a boost IF Scotland left the Union?
    No

Amazon getting more sports rights....they recently bought up more NFL rights. I would be rather concerned if I was Sky Sports, that Amazon and Disney / ESPN are going to come and put them out of business.

And Discovery-Eurosport as well, and doubtless others which have yet to enter the marketplace or which haven't even be formed yet.

The real risk from the consumer's point of view is that everything gets atomised between fourteen different platforms and everyone but the very wealthy will end up like terrestrial TV viewers without Sky in the mid-noughties - you only get to see one-twentieth of what's going on.
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 24,583

Yes, big time.
  • RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,973

Yes, big time.
    Depends - it would be a bumpy ole ride. Wales may look on and think “nah”
  • AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,598

It’s a shame because Amazon’s football coverage is bloody awful. I assume their rugby coverage will be equally as shite.
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 50,762
    I expect the SNP to again fall short of a majority but close enough that their little green helpers can give them one. In other words I am not expecting much change. I expect the Tories to fall back slightly and Labour to pick up slightly but overall as you were.

And Discovery-Eurosport as well, and doubtless others which have yet to enter the marketplace or which haven't even be formed yet.

The real risk from the consumer's point of view is that everything gets atomised between fourteen different platforms and everyone but the very wealthy will end up like terrestrial TV viewers without Sky in the mid-noughties - you only get to see one-twentieth of what's going on.
    Well Discovery already have their own streaming service too now. Got it for 12 months for free with Sky.

Currently not something I'd be interested in renewing unlike Netflix and Disney, but not played around with it much. Watched a few documentaries.
    edited March 2021

It’s a shame because Amazon’s football coverage is bloody awful. I assume their rugby coverage will be equally as shite.
    Tennis is even worse. It is why I don't think Netflix will get involved and think Disney will win in the end, they have a long history / expertise with sports coverage.
  • CatManCatMan Posts: 2,721

Oh bullfuckingshit! 😡

What a crock.

Sorry for my language.
    Don't worry, it will have died within five years at this current rate of decline. Nobody will pay a licence fee by then.
    I'm very tempted to cancel mine.

The law says I need it because I watch Sky Sports, but I'm reaching the point where I feel stuff that. Its beyond a joke now.
    The thing is, its totally unenforceable.
    That's the thing isn't it. The number of people who know this is only going to increase, until so few people pay the license fee that the funding of the BBC has to be changed.
    edited March 2021

As it stands for us we pay for Sky, Netflix, Disney, Amazon and the Licence Fee.

But of those Amazon we have for Prime anyway so TV is just bonus.

Netflix & Disney combined cost less than the Licence Fee and offer more. Especially now Disney has Star, there's a massive catalogue there.

So Sky&Netflix&Disney costs no more than Sky&Licence Fee did.
    edited March 2021

If you think of the money amazon has.....

... what they could do to TV sports is scary. They utterly dwarf Sky, and Sky was big enough to revolutionise English football

Some figures: Sky TV has a revenue of about $18bn. Amazon has a yearly turnover of at least $380bn. Roughly twenty times bigger. Of course much of that is generated in the USA and stays there, but British sports are tempting enough for amazon to divert major cash. eg Wimbledon.

Globally popular, massive brand, unique opportunity for amazon TV

What if amazon offered Wimbledon $1bn for annual global rights? Could they resist? Its loose change to amazon but transformative for Wimbledon. The BBC's contract runs out in 2024

Six Nations isn't as globally popular as Wimbledon but it is still pretty iconic. Read across for cricket, the Open, F1
  • DavidL said:

I expect the SNP to again fall short of a majority but close enough that their little green helpers can give them one. In other words I am not expecting much change. I expect the Tories to fall back slightly and Labour to pick up slightly but overall as you were.

I agree

Round my way, it will be a strongly worded letter to the local newsletter and angry WhatsApp / Facebook group messages. Elsewhere, it will be pitched battles.
    You are massively exaggerating again but despite your hyperbole I agree that few landlords will go for it. Perhaps in a few sleepy villages where the average punter is aged 60+.

Yes, big time.
    If you are suggesting Wales is an economic desert you would be right.

However sometimes the heart rules the head, and if Scotland jumps ship, don't be surprised that Wales MIGHT follow.
    edited March 2021

You are massively exaggerating again but despite your hyperbole I agree that few landlords will go for it. Perhaps in a few sleepy villages where the average punter is aged 60+.
    I was thinking of you being turned down for a pint ;-)
    edited March 2021
    Leon said:

As for Scotland, Canada coped with Quebec, and Canada remains united. Hold your nerve, under fire, Sergeant Rook
    A lot of people probably said the same kind of thing about Scotland two decades ago. Look where they are now.

The central issue I have with the maintenance of the Union is this: nearly half of Scotland voted to jack it in a few years back, and a substantial fraction of them loathe us. Why are we therefore expected to spend enormous amounts of time and enormous sums of money holding it all together. Why not just let them go?

I'm by no means certain that Wales will go the same way, but it has to be counted as a decent chance. If Labour doesn't think there's a lot of mileage to be made out of nationalism then why does it select openly pro-independence candidates?

If the UK disintegrates then we get England back as an irreducible core. We can then have a quiet life. Why shouldn't we?
    Interest-free government loans should be made available to help up to a million households buy electric cars over the next two years, the shadow business secretary, Ed Miliband, is to argue.
    Leon said:

... what they could do to TV sports is scary. They utterly dwarf Sky, and Sky was big enough to revolutionise English football

Some figures: Sky TV has a revenue of about $18bn. Amazon has a yearly turnover of at least $380bn. Roughly twenty times bigger. Of course much of that is generated in the USA and stays there, but British sports are tempting enough for amazon to divert major cash. eg Wimbledon.

What if amazon offered Wimbledon $1bn for annual global rights? Could they resist? Its loose change to amazon but transformative for Wimbledon. The BBC's contract runs out in 2024

Six Nations isn't as globally popular as Wimbledon but it is still pretty iconic. Read across for cricket, the Open, F1
    Shame that despite their vast riches they can’t manage even moderately decent coverage. The football coverage is pisspoor.

No, I watched the amazon Autumn Nations and their rugby coverage was fine. Not notably brilliant, but certainly no worse than ITV/BBC. And it was their first go. They will get better
  • NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,263
    edited March 2021

The only ones I can imagine doing it are small ones with lots of reliable elderly regulars who don't want someone taking the piss and risking their safety. But if that's what the landlord and the regulars want that should be their free choice, the others will choose differently.
    According to thr Guardian, the trade-off Johnson is considering is that pubs that insist will be allowed to waive social distancing, while it would remain legally required in pubs open to all. Would that be acceptable to you, or do you feel that indoor crowding is fine regardless?

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/mar/24/pubs-should-decide-whether-to-demand-vaccine-passports-pm-says

I can't really see many pubs making social distancing work - round here you could only get about 20 punters in 2 metres apart.

Yes, big time.

However sometimes the heart rules the head, and if Scotland jumps ship, don't be surprised that Wales MIGHT follow.
    I’d like to think folk would put a bit of thought into why their country was an economic desert..
    edited March 2021

Leon said:

Shame that despite their vast riches they can’t manage even moderately decent coverage. The football coverage is pisspoor.
    That has surprised me the most. You would have thought they would have the clout to just buy up the expertise to at least produce a product on same level as BT Sport. That's what Disney did when they needed streaming tech, they just bought the company behind the MLB streaming service.

I was thinking of you being turned down for a pint ;-)
    Ha ha, I’m not quite that bad ;-)
  • AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869
    DavidL said:

Did the SNP succeed in getting their name on the ballot paper to include Independence?
    Leon said:

The AELTC could've cashed in many years ago by selling the rights to Sky. They did not. Unlike the R&A, they appear to understand that the vigour of a minority sport (and that's effectively what everything but football is in England) requires exposure, and wall-to-wall coverage on the BBC gives tennis that.

Whether they'd be so loyal to their established broadcast partners everywhere else around the globe, if offered a pay day that enormous, is a different question.
    Leon said:

No, I watched the amazon Autumn Nations and their rugby coverage was fine. Not notably brilliant, but certainly no worse than ITV/BBC. And it was their first go. They will get better
    In fairness I did watch those and you are right, they were okay. I forgot they were on Amazon actually.

However, I stand by my view that their live football shows are rubbish.
  • EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,960

Brexit killed Euroscepticism in every other EU country stone dead (at least for a bit; the EU seem to have taken that badly and are presently trying to resurrect it). Westminster has a very clear blueprint to follow to ensure a similar reaction, in case Scotland ever does follow suit.

Step 1: be as unreasonable as possible about everything.

Step 2: repeat Step 1.
    AnneJGP said:

DavidL said:

Did the SNP succeed in getting their name on the ballot paper to include Independence?
    Please tell me they wanted it in between the "National" and "Party".
    AnneJGP said:

DavidL said:

Don’t think it’s been ruled upon yet.
    Considering that Unionists think Indy and Indyref2 are unpopular with Scottish voters, they seem remarkably unenthusiastic about the prospect.

Leon said:

A lot of people probably said the same kind of thing about Scotland two decades ago. Look where they are now.

The central issue I have with the maintenance of the Union is this: nearly half of Scotland voted to jack it in a few years back, and a substantial fraction of them loathe us. Why are we therefore expected to spend enormous amounts of time and enormous sums of money holding it all together. Why not just let them go?

I'm by no means certain that Wales will go the same way, but it has to be counted as a decent chance. If Labour doesn't think there's a lot of mileage to be made out of nationalism then why does it select openly pro-independence candidates.

If the UK disintegrates then we get England back as an irreducible core. We can then have a quiet life. Why shouldn't we?
    Because we are an island nation, and putting borders down the middle is nuts (I accept the argument in Ireland is different). We share so much, we have been British for thousands of years (longer than we have been English Scottish or Welsh, indeed). It is madness to throw all that away in a spasm of resentment. We are arguably the most successful political union in history, shaping the world far in advance of our geographic or demographic salience

Nationalism is riding a wave, it does not mean it is always victorious. But, all four nations have desires that need addressing. Boris really should call a Grand National Convention to honestly discuss every alternative, to unitary government to outright separatism.

What must not happen is a vote-in-the-dark Sindyref 2 where the SNP get to say Oh indy, without actually offering concrete plans on currency, borders, army, bank, debt, EU membership, etc etc

On the other hand, the Union has to come up with positive reasons why we are all better as a united kingdom, Project Fear 2.0 will not work when the 2nd referendum comes around (which it will, eventually, just not anytime soon)

According to thr Guardian, the trade-off Johnson is considering is that pubs that insist will be allowed to waive social distancing, while it would remain legally required in pubs open to all. Would that be acceptable to you, or do you feel that indoor crowding is fine regardless?

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/mar/24/pubs-should-decide-whether-to-demand-vaccine-passports-pm-says

I can't really see many pubs making social distancing work - round here you could only get about 20 punters in 2 metres apart.
    You keep promoting this policy. What are you going to do with the twentysomethings who won’t get their jabs until
    June or even July? Lock them up at home with Zoom while you go down the pub? The young have already made huge sacrifices and the vulnerable will have been vaccinated by the time indoor pubs open in May.
    edited March 2021
    I am wonder how we got from the military police kicking the doors down of a vaccine factory in the morning, the afternoon the EC agreeing new rules that basically singled out the UK for blocking vaccine exports, to this evening "peace deal"....

https://twitter.com/hendopolis/status/1374855858862047247?s=19
  • alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518
    edited March 2021
    This pub vaccine nonsense - has anyone actually found any publicans that are in favour of this idea? I'm absolutely mystified as to why any should be? How would it do anything other than cost them customers?

Vaccinated people aren't going to avoid pubs because there are unvaccinated people in them. They're already protected! Unvaccinated people who might have avoided pubs out of fears of catching coronavirus won't be allowed in anyway.

Which only leaves unvaccinated people who aren't bothered. So why would pubs deliberately opt to reduce their customer base? This isn't like smoking where by restricting access to some (smokers) had the potential to make pubs more attractive to others.

And as pointed out, pubs are set to open April onwards. The youngest people won't be vaccinated before the end of July. Is the suggestion that all these people are banned from pubs until then? Or that the potential for banning only happens once the entire country has been given an option for a jab. At which point 90% will be vaccinated (given very low refusenik levels) and we will be way past herd immunity point, and with low general circulation, anyway.
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,709
    edited March 2021
    On what grounds? All the latest polls in the chart in the thread header show a swing to No and Comres, Yougov and Panelbase all have No ahead.

Even the latest BMG poll has Yes still under 50% including undecideds

Leon said:

The AELTC could've cashed in many years ago by selling the rights to Sky. They did not. Unlike the R&A, they appear to understand that the vigour of a minority sport (and that's effectively what everything but football is in England) requires exposure, and wall-to-wall coverage on the BBC gives tennis that.

Whether they'd be so loyal to their established broadcast partners everywhere else around the globe, if offered a pay day that enormous, is a different question.
    Amazon could offer so much money Wimbledon will accept anything. $2bn? $3bn?

The internet giants are so huge they change the agreed landscape. Like black holes distorting space-time
  • FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

I am wonder how we got from the military police kicking the doors down of a vaccine factory in the morning, the afternoon the EC agreeing new rules that basically singled out the UK for blocking vaccine exports, to this evening "peace deal"....

Daily Mail seems to think it might not be over yet ... no idea if that is true or not

However, EU leaders will meet today to decide whether to press ahead with restricting vaccine exports to the UK and ministers remain concerned that Brussels could yet deploy its new powers.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9399515/Brussels-dramatic-climbdown-officials-offer-work-UK-win-win.html
    Leon said:

Canada has coped with Quebec, by giving la belle province just about anything it wants. And then some.

Interesting that since 2018, Quebec has been governed by by Premier François Legault's Coalition Avenir Québec. Note that the CAQ is a traditional "bleu" party that is conservative AND nationalist, but NOT (except as last resort maybe) for independence.

Bleus of Quebec have traditionally aligned with Conservative Party in federal elections and politics. Starting with Macdonald and Cartier, and essential to political victory for Diefenbacker, Mulroney & Harper.

Note that CDQ does NOT run candidates in federal elections.

In contrast, the Bloc Quebec DOES run for federal parliament (that's why it was created), is dominated by the left AND wants full independence; it is federal arm of Party Quebecois, which governed the province, in similar fashion to SNP in Scotland.

Wonder IF at some point in future, a conservative nationalist (but NOT independence) party will emerge in Scotland? My guess is no, but interesting thought.

Because it was never going to happen, complete theatre and sabre rattling as you would have known if you’d listened to me all week!

As it stands for us we pay for Sky, Netflix, Disney, Amazon and the Licence Fee.

Netflix & Disney combined cost less than the Licence Fee and offer more. Especially now Disney has Star, there's a massive catalogue there.

Hmm. Only just (£152 vs £157.50), and only if you pay for a year's Disney+ up front, and are happy with the cheapest Netflix package. Otherwise, it's a fair sized increase on the license fee (eg £200 for the middle Netflix package and annual Disney+ subscription, vs £157.50 license fee).

No real argument on content, although worth pointing out that most of Netflix is garbage, and the situation is getting worse and worse as competition increases with other streaming services. I'm not optimistic about the way it's going. I also still derive a fair bit of value from the BBC news website, which would go if the license fee did.

Interest-free government loans should be made available to help up to a million households buy electric cars over the next two years, the shadow business secretary, Ed Miliband, is to argue.

Another middle class bung - but cheers Ed!!

Because it was never going to happen, complete theatre and sabre rattling as you would have known if you’d listened to me all week!
    You my well be right - but yet again huge reputational hit taken by the EU... for what exactly?

For a people who often give outsiders the distinct impression that they hate each other's guts, it is true that the English DO love to huddle together in dark, dank, ill-ventilated spaces.
  • RobDRobD Posts: 58,941

Except it has already happened, you only have to ask Australia.

We are graciously going to let the EU keep the vaccines that we always there's but in their paranoia are convinced are destined for the UK.

One thing i find funny (ignoring the tragic aspects for EU populations of what is going on) about the ever more outlandish stories about AZ hidden 'stockpiles' all over the place, is that large numbers of EU/European leaders seem to have lost the ability to add up. Apparently the amount of vaccine piled up within EU borders and destined for the UK is so vast, it's difficult to reconcile with the UK having any domestic vaccine production at all.

And if the UK actually has no domestic vaccine production, then how are we supposed to export it?

You keep promoting this policy. What are you going to do with the twentysomethings who won’t get their jabs until
    June or even July? Lock them up at home with Zoom while you go down the pub? The young have already made huge sacrifices and the vulnerable will have been vaccinated by the time indoor pubs open in May.
    So not a "voluntary" scheme at all. Basically co-ercion and blackmail. I sense court challenges...
    Floater said:

You my well be right - but yet again huge reputational hit taken by the EU... for what exactly?
    Oh for nothing, or very little. I have said twice today that their behaviour has been exponentially bonkers all winter (okay it’s spring now, but only just). It is really quite bizarre - VdL is completely incompetent, and that’s the best you can say about her.
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,709
    edited March 2021

Leon said:

I'm by no means certain that Wales will go the same way, but it has to be counted as a decent chance. If Labour doesn't think there's a lot of mileage to be made out of nationalism then why does it select openly pro-independence candidates?

The classic Little Englander argument, which will weaken our Union, weaken our nation, weaken the size of our economy and our position in the world and then what happens once Scotland left, Wales left and we got a United Ireland? Don't think it would stop there, already we have a Northern Independence Party, you might eventually find England breaks up too into some version of Wessex, Mercia and Northumbria and Cornwall as was the case before England was created with maybe a London city state
    Andy_JS said:
    I would be interested what the same groups think about in general...I suspect a similar percentage of youngsters would say all sorts of groups are racist, Brexiteers, Tories, the police, ...
    RobD said:

The EUROPEAN export ban. I have now clarified this THREE times. Does anyone else want to mention Australia before I go to bed???
    Endillion said:

Hmm. Only just (£152 vs £157.50), and only if you pay for a year's Disney+ up front, and are happy with the cheapest Netflix package. Otherwise, it's a fair sized increase on the license fee (eg £200 for the middle Netflix package and annual Disney+ subscription, vs £157.50 license fee).

No real argument on content, although worth pointing out that most of Netflix is garbage, and the situation is getting worse and worse as competition increases with other streaming services. I'm not optimistic about the way it's going. I also still derive a fair bit of value from the BBC news website, which would go if the license fee did.
    True. The advantage Netflix had is that it was the only major streaming service so ALL the good stuff was on there. Hence it almost became part of the lexicon. "Netflix and chill"

Almost, but not quite. Now the streaming market has fragmented, and a lot of excellent drama, sports, news and docus have gone to Disney, Apple, Amazon.

No one single service stands out. This may prolong the life of the licence fee by a few more years, as the BBC still looks reasonably good value in contrast. The BBC should use this final breathing space wisely, to figure out a future, as in the long term the licence fee is doomed
    Andy_JS said:
    Seeing as how it appears Queen Elizabeth's top personal governmental priority, has been establishing the monarch as focus and rally-point for the Commonwealth, this survey can NOT be good news for the Palace.

Methinks the way HM's no-brains twit-trust has mishandled the Meghan situation from the get-go, is seriously undermining the Queen's life work.

RobD said:

The EUROPEAN export ban. I have now clarified this THREE times. Does anyone else want to mention Australia before I go to bed???
    I remember a month or so ago where people were saying that the export control mechanism would never be used.
    alex_ said:

We are graciously going to let the EU keep the vaccines that we always there's but in their paranoia are convinced are destined for the UK.

One thing i find funny (ignoring the tragic aspects for EU populations of what is going on) about the ever more outlandish stories about AZ hidden 'stockpiles' all over the place, is that large numbers of EU/European leaders seem to have lost the ability to add up. Apparently the amount of vaccine piled up within EU borders and destined for the UK is so vast, it's difficult to reconcile with the UK having any domestic vaccine production at all.

And if the UK actually has no domestic vaccine production, then how are we supposed to export it?
    Why let facts get in the way of things?

Trouble is they should have worked out by now that in todays day and age the internet will relentlessly point out your mistakes and lies

RobD said:

Eureka Stockade!

Andy_JS said:
    Seeing as how it appears Queen Elizabeth's top personal governmental priority, has been establishing the monarch as focus and rally-point for the Commonwealth, this survey can NOT be good news for the Palace.

Methinks the way HM's no-brains twit-trust has mishandled the Meghan situation from the get-go, is seriously undermining the Queen's life work.
    I think you are overstating it. The attitude towards the monarchy always follows this pattern. The young are ambivalent, that old are massively in favour.
  • MattWMattW Posts: 18,080
    edited March 2021
    DavidL said:

What we need is an informal agreement.

One element of which is everybody else except Sarwar to standown in La Sturgeon's constituency.
  • BluestBlueBluestBlue Posts: 4,556
    edited March 2021

Andy_JS said:

Mishandled it how? By allowing Meghan within five miles of the Royal Family in the first place?

Andy_JS said:
    I would be interested what the same groups think about in general...I suspect a similar percentage of youngsters would say all sorts of groups are racist, Brexiteers, Tories, the police, ...
    Could be. BUT reckon that the % has gone up sharply for Royals recently.
    alex_ said:

So not a "voluntary" scheme at all. Basically co-ercion and blackmail. I sense court challenges...
    Nick seems fully behind the policy. He’s not explained why, or how he expects it to work though.
  • CookieCookie Posts: 11,183
    alex_ said:

Yes, I think the core of the argument is that the EU will only allow export of vaccines to countries which are exporting vaccines back to the EU. Why bother moving them at all if this is how the world is set up? I'm not sure the EU understands how trade works.

Andy_JS said:
    No, even before this the polls showed a strong age split:

https://www.statista.com/statistics/863893/support-for-the-monarchy-in-britain-by-age/
    Leon said:

Endillion said:

True. The advantage Netflix had is that it was the only major streaming service so ALL the good stuff was on there. Hence it almost became part of the lexicon. "Netflix and chill"

Almost, but not quite. Now the streaming market has fragmented, and a lot of excellent drama, sports, news and docus have gone to Disney, Apple, Amazon.

No one single service stands out. This may prolong the life of the licence fee by a few more years, as the BBC still looks reasonably good value in contrast. The BBC should use this final breathing space wisely, to figure out a future, as in the long term the licence fee is doomed
    Its where Disney has the big advantage. The have such a massive back catalogue of content that they own outright, no like Netflix being put over a barrel for a new shake down by the rights holders if they find out their show ia popular e.g. Friends.

Andy_JS said:

Mishandled it how? By allowing Meghan within five miles of the Royal Family in the first place?
    They are two for two on Americans coming in and trying to ruin it.

alex_ said:

Nick seems fully behind the policy. He’s not explained why, or how he expects it to work though.
    Probably thinks he could use it as a kind of gateway drug to get identity cards back on the agenda.

I think some of the less mad members of the EC/EU established have noticed that their latest lot of willy-waving will have no impact at all, and they are really a collection of 5 year olds with pants on their heads waving pigs' bladders on sticks.

The leaning tower of BS being repeated to EU populations grows ever more unstable.
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,279
    RobD said:

Andy_JS said:

https://www.statista.com/statistics/863893/support-for-the-monarchy-in-britain-by-age/
    In the 60s and 70s it was probably the same.
    Cyclefree said:

No, absolutely not to this utterly stupid suggestion.

Daughter completely opposed to this. Neither her nor any of her employees will be vaccinated by then. If you don't need a vaccination to work in a pub you don't need one to drink in it. She cannot afford the staff to go round doing tests, demanding certificates or anything else. And people want to go to pubs to enjoy themselves not be treated as if they're at some out patients clinic.

Lift the restrictions and allow publicans to run their businesses as they see fit. This endless micro-managing by people who have no understanding of this - or any other - business has got to stop.

We were told that once deaths and cases were down restrictions would be lifted. They are down and will be even lower by May let alone by the end of June. So enough with the restrictions.

It feels - and has for some time - felt that somewhere in government they are deliberately targeting pubs so as to make them unviable, regardless of Covid. Look at the nonsense re not allowing them to sell takeaway alcohol, even now, for instance, and the pitiful support given to wet led pubs.

If this sort of nonsense continues Daughter is simply going to close her business. There is no point continuing if the government makes it impossible for her to trade profitably. It's been in the balance for a while.She's been holding on and on and on. But stuff like this being canvassed - let alone introduced - is just another kick in the teeth.

For what it's worth, personally think that hospitality workers SHOULD get priority for vaccination.

Note that in WA State (and no doubt other places) similar priority now for grocery store workers. Who are clearly essentially workers, at least for the 99.46% of us who like to eat semi-regularly.

Bar & restaurant workers may NOT be as essential (though you & daughter may disagree) but IF bars & etc. are going to open on a significant basis, then staff should be protected the best way possible.

And that's with a jab or two.
    Andy_JS said:

RobD said:

Andy_JS said:

In the 60s and 70s it was probably the same.
    Exactly. The idea the younger generations have been turned off the monarchy by one interview is for the birds.
    As I see it, the only interesting thing to come out of EU central this week is the President of the EU Parliament saying that the FTA will be approved.
    RobD said:

RobD said:

I remember a month or so ago where people were saying that the export control mechanism would never be used.
    Yes. There is a very non trivial risk that the EU - which is still panicking, note - will still do something mad tomorrow, like ban all exports of AZ ingredients and/or Pfizer to the UK. 15-25% chance

alex_ said:

And it doesn't make sense once the vast majority are vaccinated and everybody has been given the choice. At that point an unvaccinated person entering a pub is endangering nobody except those who choose to risk themselves by personal choice. There will be herd immunity so the chances of infecting others is pretty low (the point of herd immunity) and even where infection occurs there is no realistic prospect of it spreading and triggering new surges.

But what about vaccine resistant variants people cry! Well if there's a vaccine resistant variant, then the vaccinated masses are no lesser danger than others! So what is the purpose?

I really wonder if this policy is being developed in conjunction with scientists. Because i'd love to hear a sensible rationale for it.
  • CookieCookie Posts: 11,183
    Leon said:

Leon said:

I'm by no means certain that Wales will go the same way, but it has to be counted as a decent chance. If Labour doesn't think there's a lot of mileage to be made out of nationalism then why does it select openly pro-independence candidates.

Because we are an island nation, and putting borders down the middle is nuts (I accept the argument in Ireland is different). We share so much, we have been British for thousands of years (longer than we have been English Scottish or Welsh, indeed). It is madness to throw all that away in a spasm of resentment. We are arguably the most successful political union in history, shaping the world far in advance of our geographic or demographic salience

Nationalism is riding a wave, it does not mean it is always victorious. But, all four nations have desires that need addressing. Boris really should call a Grand National Convention to honestly discuss every alternative, to unitary government to outright separatism.

What must not happen is a vote-in-the-dark Sindyref 2 where the SNP get to say Oh indy, without actually offering concrete plans on currency, borders, army, bank, debt, EU membership, etc etc

On the other hand, the Union has to come up with positive reasons why we are all better as a united kingdom, Project Fear 2.0 will not work when the 2nd referendum comes around (which it will, eventually, just not anytime soon)
    I'm English. I'm perfectly happy to be British too. I can see the strategic advantages to the UK. But not at any price, which, it increasingly seems, is what the English are being asked to pay, both financially and constitutionally.
    And quite honestly, it's embarrassing being in a country run like Scotland is run.
    edited March 2021
    Leon said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

Yes. There is a very non trivial risk that the EU - which is still panicking, note - will still do something mad tomorrow, like ban all exports of AZ ingredients and/or Pfizer to the UK. 15-25% chance
    I think that would need Belgium, who I don't think can be forced to do it short of Article 122 being used. Belgium won't without being forced.

Yes, big time.

I’d like to think folk would put a bit of thought into why their country was an economic desert..
    Current thinking is Labour and the EU, but Scottish Independence would focus Welsh minds (like in Scotland} on their serfdom, and a break from their English feudal landlords is thus almost inevitable.
    RobD said:

Andy_JS said:

They are two for two on Americans coming in and trying to ruin it.
    IF your were charitable (admittedly NOT a major PB virtue) then you might argue that Wallis SAVED the monarchy, by ensuring that her boy-toy got the heave-ho BEFORE he could inflict serious damage.

As for Meghan, happen to agree with you re; the 5-mile limit.

BUT fact is, she & Harry got hitched despite the angst of family & ire of flunkies (or visa versa). AND the Palace did NOT deal with this reality at all well. Instead, just about as badly as they could.

Replicating in the process many of the same mistakes they made re: Diana.

Blaming the Duch of Sux over and over and over and over is no doubt emotionally satisfying. But useless as plan or policy.

Yes, big time.

Current thinking is Labour and the EU, but Scottish Independence would focus Welsh minds (like in Scotland} on their serfdom, and a break from their English feudal landlords is thus almost inevitable.
    Have the Welsh found a way to go from north to south of their country without going via England yet?
This discussion has been closed.