Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Undefined discussion subject.

Comments

• Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,956

Carnyx said:

Off topic

WTF, I have just been charged VAT at 20% over and above purchase price on ebay from a Chinese product for the first time. I assumed it was vat paid, but not so it seems. Apparently "according to the UK 2021 VAT e-commerce package, we will collect and remit VAT where eBay is deemed supplier". Is this another example of Brexit, the gift that keeps on giving?

Shouldn't think this is Brexit, unless it was imported into the EU first and VAT paid there.

Where was it sent from? HMRC and the Post Office/Fedex etc have beenm collecting VAT on certain items sent from outside the UK/EU for years (above a certain trigger level). Not books but e.g. hobby items (in my case).
    Collected at checkout by eBay, fortunately the item was only £6.50, so no big deal. Over the years I have been hit by HMRC for customs and VAT charges for high value items from the US, Japan and Australia, via the courier, but never Chinese tat.

Good explanations on here from TSE and Thommo.
    Aliexpress also does the same which is somewhat more surprising - although it stops the old games of customs roulette where half the time you get a charge (with £8 service charge on top) and the rest of the time you don't.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,137

We need to ban dog ownership, they are a menace.

If not that, they need to be on a leash and muzzled at all times.

Richmond Park dog walker fined £602 over pet's 'relentless' fatal attack on deer

Police are urging dog owners to keep their pets on a tight lead after an increase in attacks during lockdown.

A man has been fined £602 after his dog fatally injured a deer during a "relentless" attack in London's Richmond Park.

Dramatic footage filmed by a cyclist shows Franck Hiribarne's red setter, Alfie, rushing at the small hind, jumping up at her and dragging her backwards, at around 9am on 1 October last year.

Despite the efforts of several passers-by to get between the animals, forming a human barrier to stop the attack, Alfie left the deer with deep wounds to her back and tail, which was partially detached.

The hind also suffered a broken leg after being hit by a car in her attempts to get away.

She was found a short while later, collapsed in the ferns, and had to be put down by a gamekeeper.

Mr Hiribarne, from southwest London, pleaded guilty at Wimbledon Magistrates' Court on 15 January to causing or permitting an animal he was in charge of to injure another animal in a royal park. He was fined £602.

The defendant reported the incident himself to the Royal Parks Office, while witnesses - some of whom described the attack as "relentless" - spoke to officers in a passing police car.

https://news.sky.com/story/richmond-park-dog-walker-fined-163602-over-pets-relentless-fatal-attack-on-deer-12191357

Red setters are horrid little dogs. They look nice though.
    You must be very big, if you consider a Red Setter to be "little".
  • Options

Richmond Park dog walker fined £602 over pet's 'relentless' fatal attack on deer

Police are urging dog owners to keep their pets on a tight lead after an increase in attacks during lockdown.

A man has been fined £602 after his dog fatally injured a deer during a "relentless" attack in London's Richmond Park.

Dramatic footage filmed by a cyclist shows Franck Hiribarne's red setter, Alfie, rushing at the small hind, jumping up at her and dragging her backwards, at around 9am on 1 October last year.

Despite the efforts of several passers-by to get between the animals, forming a human barrier to stop the attack, Alfie left the deer with deep wounds to her back and tail, which was partially detached.

The hind also suffered a broken leg after being hit by a car in her attempts to get away.

She was found a short while later, collapsed in the ferns, and had to be put down by a gamekeeper.

Mr Hiribarne, from southwest London, pleaded guilty at Wimbledon Magistrates' Court on 15 January to causing or permitting an animal he was in charge of to injure another animal in a royal park. He was fined £602.

The defendant reported the incident himself to the Royal Parks Office, while witnesses - some of whom described the attack as "relentless" - spoke to officers in a passing police car.

https://news.sky.com/story/richmond-park-dog-walker-fined-163602-over-pets-relentless-fatal-attack-on-deer-12191357

Certainly they need to be under control. That need not mean muzzled, and need not mean on a lead at all times. However, like everything else, the bad owners let everyone else down.
    I know, my friend had a pair of Rottweilers, he had them since they were puppies, they were the most dumb dogs you'd ever meet, it was very hard to be afraid of dogs that used to bark at their own farts and get scared of their own reflections in the patio door.

My friend said if there was ever a break in at his house, the burglars had to give the dogs some sausages and they'd help carry the TV out for them.
    Wait till your toddler daughter tries to kiss them, and they mistake it for an attack.
    That's the reason he got rid of them, not so much for that, they still thought they were puppies.

They'd crush babies/toddlers in excitement.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,956

eek said:

MaxPB said:

RobD said:

Perhaps the new UK/EU neutral zone: NI.

No, NI is the Demilitarised Zone. The EU is the Federation, we are the Cardassians. Arlene Forster is Quark.
    No, if the EU is the federation then we're the Maquis. The EU is closer to the Borg though. Russia are the Orion syndicate.
    And you are Wesley Crusher
    Christ he was so annoying. I always hoped Worf would eat him.
    Will Wheaton on the other hand is delightful.
    The reason why Wesley Crusher is hated is from memory a writers strike which meant that a number of Wesley Crusher focused stories (from which only 1 was supposed to be used) all had to be used as nothing else was available.
    Yup, he was a poorly written charachter.

The other issue was TNG had a lot of executive producers and writers who didn't stay long, so there was no good plan for him.

It was only when Michael Piller joined that he became a decent character.
    By which point the damage had been done.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,182

kinabalu said:

Not the least fault of the whole Trump shitshow is its overweening fcuking pettiness.

https://twitter.com/anneapplebaum/status/1351175420356530177?s=20

Compare and contrast with the Bush family showing the Obama family round.... complete with Obama kids using a sloped corridor as a slide, to smiles from all the adults.
    Indeed. And well done Bush for that. But for me an even starker and more telling comparison is between Obama and Trump.

Obama did a courteous and professional handover to a man who had smeared him left right & centre, including the promotion of an overtly racist conspiracy theory about his birthplace. 4 years later Trump won't admit losing the election and refutes the democratic process, foments social unrest and riots, does no transition at all, and scarpers off to Florida rather than even meet his successor and shake hands.

This gap in quality between two human beings is surely about as great as it could be possibly be barring outlandish thought experiments like Katie Hopkins and Dame Judi Dench.
    I'm sure with just a wee bit more healing and reconciliation Trump and his followers can change for the better. One more push, comrade!
    :smile: - Yep. We're gonna heal them so bad they won't know which way is up.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,983
    stodge said:

Afternoon all :)

I'm sure any visit of Biden's to the UK will receive as much positive coverage as did Obama's first visit. I can certainly imagine plenty of cheering crowds in London and elsewhere and that will further raise the feelgood mood which we are told by some has already ensured Conservative re-election in 2024.

Why not go for a snap autumn poll, Boris - the only thing better than a majority of 80 would be a majority of 280?

Biden was mainly preferred as he was not Trump, he does not have the same appeal here as Obama did.

On current polls the Tories would also lose seats and quite possibly their majority, there is zero chance of Boris calling a general election before 2024
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483
    stodge said:

I'm sure any visit of Biden's to the UK will receive as much positive coverage as did Obama's first visit. I can certainly imagine plenty of cheering crowds in London and elsewhere and that will further raise the feelgood mood which we are told by some has already ensured Conservative re-election in 2024.

Why not go for a snap autumn poll, Boris - the only thing better than a majority of 80 would be a majority of 280?

I wonder how May will go?
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,096

On topic, based on previous presidents' behaviour, either Canada or Mexico is surely likely to be Biden's first international visit. Trump was the exception, going to the Middle East first, but other presidents going back at least to Reagan have gone to one of the US's North American neighbours first. After that it seems like the UK could be first. It's a bit hard to believe that Biden won't leave his own continent before November, although I guess he doesn't need the air miles.

He is due to attend the G7 meeting here in the UK in June to which Boris has invited Australia, India and South Korea as guests
    Ah OK, I though I had read he was coming in November, that seemed like a long way off. June makes more sense. Is this the one where the whole world will be there to enjoy the splendour of West Cornwall's road infrastructure?
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,392

I'm 6.2. I suppose they're medium.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,972
    HYUFD said:

stodge said:

Biden was mainly preferred as he was not Trump, he does not have the same appeal here as Obama did.

On current polls the Tories would also lose seats and quite possibly their majority, there is zero chance of Boris calling a general election before 2024
    'On current polls the Tories would also lose seats and quite possibly their majority'

That's one of the most cheering posts you've posted for ages!
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,663

Or he has four Newfoundlands in his sitting room.

Admittedly a lot of Irish Setters are underbred these days - or were some years back when AIUI they became briefly trendy and the puppy farms seem to have got in on the act - and the bitches in particular are rather small.

Hardly ever see the breed arouind now, worse luck, so it's hard to judge the current situation.
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,704
    eek said:

eek said:

MaxPB said:

RobD said:

No, NI is the Demilitarised Zone. The EU is the Federation, we are the Cardassians. Arlene Forster is Quark.
    No, if the EU is the federation then we're the Maquis. The EU is closer to the Borg though. Russia are the Orion syndicate.
    The reason why Wesley Crusher is hated is from memory a writers strike which meant that a number of Wesley Crusher focused stories (from which only 1 was supposed to be used) all had to be used as nothing else was available.

The other issue was TNG had a lot of executive producers and writers who didn't stay long, so there was no good plan for him.

They really struggled to find stories for him, so made him a boy genius, so he could either solve problems which experts (like Data/Geordie etc) couldn't solve, or some cringy 'coming of age' story. The fact he was made an 'acting ensign', and not only that an actual bridge member on what was the flagship of Starfleet, which should have been something the best of the best were on just was a terrible idea.

A much better character was Jake on DS9, where they actually let him be a kid, not a genius, and to find his own way away from starfleet.
  • Options

Certainly they need to be under control. That need not mean muzzled, and need not mean on a lead at all times. However, like everything else, the bad owners let everyone else down.
    I know, my friend had a pair of Rottweilers, he had them since they were puppies, they were the most dumb dogs you'd ever meet, it was very hard to be afraid of dogs that used to bark at their own farts and get scared of their own reflections in the patio door.

My friend said if there was ever a break in at his house, the burglars had to give the dogs some sausages and they'd help carry the TV out for them.
    Wait till your toddler daughter tries to kiss them, and they mistake it for an attack.
    That's the reason he got rid of them, not so much for that, they still thought they were puppies.

Most dogs are surprisingly good with babies/toddlers but the smaller ones are best for that reason I think.

We got our little dog as a puppy when my youngest was three weeks old. The dog would growl if others tried to pick her up when she didn't want to be picked up but the toddler could be as rough as she wanted picking her up and she'd just sit there and play with her, unless she grabbed her tail.

I swear until my daughter could walk and talk her and puppy seemed to think act like they were twins. Very close to each other.
  • Options
    felix said:

felix said:

malcolmg said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:
    By which he means, 'around 4 million people have received the FIRST DOSE of a vaccine.'

Which is not at all the same thing.
    Usual lies and half truths as ever
    Yup I if I were you I'd refuse the UK vaccine and wait for the EU one - much safer and the right thing to do.
    Swings and roundabouts innit

'UK now has highest Covid death rate in the world'

https://tinyurl.com/y32ktj7k
    I'll put you down for a no to the vaccine then.?
    Not at all, fair return for having to put up with the consequences of HMG's useless border policy and stop start financial support for lockdowns. A 50% discount on a shitty pub meal doesn't really cut it.
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483

RobD said:

Off topic

WTF, I have just been charged VAT at 20% over and above purchase price on ebay from a Chinese product for the first time. I assumed it was vat paid, but not so it seems. Apparently "according to the UK 2021 VAT e-commerce package, we will collect and remit VAT where eBay is deemed supplier". Is this another example of Brexit, the gift that keeps on giving?

Sounds as though you can blame the EU for that one. ;)
    So it seems...but, but where is my post Brexit, sod the EU, sovereignty bonus? I thought we had left!
    Was it not under your pillow? I looked but mine wasn’t there either.
  • Options

We had a border collie when I was little. After that all other forms of dog seem inadequate, and it's too urban where we live for a collie to be happy, I think. A cat is a lot less work, too.
  • Options

eek said:

eek said:

MaxPB said:

RobD said:

They really struggled to find stories for him, so made him a boy genius, so he could either solve problems which experts (like Data/Geordie etc) couldn't solve, or some cringy 'coming of age' story. The fact he was made an 'acting ensign', and not only that an actual bridge member on what was the flagship of Starfleet, which should have been something the best of the best were on just was a terrible idea.

A much better character was Jake on DS9, where they actually let him be a kid, not a genius, and to find his own way away from starfleet.
    Indeed, Jake Sisko was involved in the one Star Trek episode that made me cry, and I've watched them all.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Visitor_(Star_Trek:_Deep_Space_Nine)
  • Options

kinabalu said:

Not the least fault of the whole Trump shitshow is its overweening fcuking pettiness.

Compare and contrast with the Bush family showing the Obama family round.... complete with Obama kids using a sloped corridor as a slide, to smiles from all the adults.
    Indeed. And well done Bush for that.
    But for me an even starker and more telling comparison is between Obama and Trump.
    Obama did a courteous and professional handover to a man who had smeared him left right & centre, including the promotion of an overtly racist conspiracy theory about his birthplace.
    4 years later Trump won't admit losing the election and thus refutes the democratic process.
    He foments social unrest and riots, does no transition at all, and scarpers off to Florida rather than even meet his successor and shake hands.
    This gap in quality between two human beings is surely about as great as it could possibly be barring outlandish thought experiments like Katie Hopkins and Dame Judi Dench.
    But for me an even starker and more telling comparison is between {nearly anyone vaguely on the same planet as decency} and Trump.

It's a graph. In corner you have Bernie Sanders to George W. Bush. Dick Cheney even. You have to zoom out a long, long way before Trump and his ilk show up. By then, Sanders and Cheney are practically one dot.
    So true. But a black president having to hand over to a man who had whipped up and exploited white supremacy racism in order to get the job. That was a little bit special.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,272
    edited January 2021

On topic, based on previous presidents' behaviour, either Canada or Mexico is surely likely to be Biden's first international visit. Trump was the exception, going to the Middle East first, but other presidents going back at least to Reagan have gone to one of the US's North American neighbours first. After that it seems like the UK could be first. It's a bit hard to believe that Biden won't leave his own continent before November, although I guess he doesn't need the air miles.

He is due to attend the G7 meeting here in the UK in June to which Boris has invited Australia, India and South Korea as guests
    Ah OK, I though I had read he was coming in November, that seemed like a long way off. June makes more sense. Is this the one where the whole world will be there to enjoy the splendour of West Cornwall's road infrastructure?
    Yes it is in Cornwall, and November is the big climate change conference hosted by Boris in Glasgow

And according to a report yesterday the leaders will be landed by helicopters on the beach in June
  • Options
    Uber giving "free" trips to vaccinations centres (terms and conditions apply)...

https://www.uber.com/en-GB/blog/vaccinations/
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,550
    edited January 2021
    TOPPING said:

Andy_JS said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:
    By which he means, 'around 4 million people have received the FIRST DOSE of a vaccine.'

How effective is the first dose?
    If that is a serious question (we have discussed it many times on here) then no one really knows. There was a low number (around 50% I believe) bandied around but that was thought to be catching pre-existing cases. After 14-21 days the efficiency rose significantly to 80-90%.

But no one knows because no trial was designed, nor has one been carried out, to determine the answer.

How to Vaccinate the World is your friend here. Specifically, IIRC, this episode.
    My questions are usually serious, I don't really do sarcasm. Thanks for the reply.
  • Options

There are a lot more bad owners thanks to Covid. The pavements round here are like an obstacle course thanks to non-scooping dog owners. This time last year they were clean.

Speaking of new dog owners, according to one of the front pages this morning, Boris is to relax the rules on dog-walking or something (tbh I did not read it).

There is a chap named Hugh in my town who has a business giving canines their exercise.
    It is called " Shug's Dugs ".
  • Options

eek said:

eek said:

MaxPB said:

RobD said:

Indeed, Jake Sisko was involved in the one Star Trek episode that made me cry, and I've watched them all.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Visitor_(Star_Trek:_Deep_Space_Nine)
    Looking back they should have probably done what they did with DS9, and had a more loose cast with regular guest characters from the start. They ended up doing that more, with characters like Guinan, Barclay, Ro, Kekio and the like, but Wesley would have been much better on that level, rather than a weekly cast member.
  • Options
    599 deaths and 37,535 cases announced today.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,940
    edited January 2021

I read that the Obama family were really touched by the efforts that the Bush family made to make them feel welcome and make the handover as smooth as possible. I know Obama also said Bush did everything he could to make the power transition as smooth and professional as possible.
    Could it be that Dubya is a patriot and a fundamentally decent man, regardless of what one thinks of his politics (I mean, it will come as no surprise that I don't approve of them!) – and that the odious Trump family are self-serving, petty morons with no shred of human decency?

I mean, that could be one hypothesis.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,282

I worry about many lockdown puppies. To prevent problems down the line (associated with fear and territory) puppies need to be socialised both with other dogs and with people - large and small. With lockdown there is relatively little of that. Same with strangers coming into their home. With such activity curtailed the only people they are comfortable with in their home are their owning family.

That is storing up trouble ahead because it is possible that such dogs will react naturally, if anti-socially, to people and "intruders" in the months and years ahead.
  • Options

So they kept over the 3x multiplier for vaccines even with the weekend effect? Weekend effect on all figures I suspect.
  • Options

Yes it is in Cornwall, and November is the big climate change conference hosted by Boris in Glasgow

And according to a report yesterday the leaders will be landed by helicopters on the beach in June
    Yes I was hoping to avail myself of that option last time I was in Cornwall but sadly had to negotiate the long slow moving line of caravans instead.
  • Options

RobD said:

We're reality TV stars with big bottoms?
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,859
    edited January 2021

Uber giving "free" trips to vaccinations centres (terms and conditions apply)...

https://www.uber.com/en-GB/blog/vaccinations/

Only to one of the large regional centres, only for trips of less than £15, and only one way. So as much use to most people as a chocolate teapot.

But loads of positive headlines “Uber gives free trips for vaccinations”.

Perhaps the scummiest of the scummy tech companies.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,168

We had a border collie when I was little. After that all other forms of dog seem inadequate, and it's too urban where we live for a collie to be happy, I think. A cat is a lot less work, too.
    I used to think a cat was less work. My cat thought otherwise.

And then I started knitting.

I think my opinion now is that animals belong outside, or on a plate.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

It's not about the efficacy, its about the numbers vacinated before September. This is the politics of Covid now, and Johnson is winning the Covid PR battle hands down, a massive improvement from the Cummings era.

So what if we all need two shots this time next year because the first, single dose only programme didn't give us the required resistance? The PR war against Covid is won, and it has been won by the Conservative Party. BBC lunchtime news was all about vaccine numbers, nothing about hospitalisations and deaths, those stats are so 2020.

Surely the strategy is based on the efficacy, as proposed by that famous Boris fan, erm, Tony Blair?

There's a 12-week gap as this maximises protection across the nation.

Do you oppose that strategy? If so, why?
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

I worry about many lockdown puppies. To prevent problems down the line (associated with fear and territory) puppies need to be socialised both with other dogs and with people - large and small. With lockdown there is relatively little of that. Same with strangers coming into their home. With such activity curtailed the only people they are comfortable with in their home are their owning family.

That is storing up trouble ahead because it is possible that such dogs will react naturally, if anti-socially, to people and "intruders" in the months and years ahead.
    The other issue my dog owning friends have flagged up is that the puppies/lockdown adopted dogs have become used to their owners being at home 24/7.

Once they are vaccinated and start going back to the workplace then these dogs are going to have issues.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,330

So they kept over the 3x multiplier for vaccines even with the weekend effect? Weekend effect on all figures I suspect.
    Tomorrow is Tuesday.... and yet again.....
  • Options

TOPPING said:

The other issue my dog owning friends have flagged up is that the puppies/lockdown adopted dogs have become used to their owners being at home 24/7.

Once they are vaccinated and start going back to the workplace then these dogs are going to have issues.
    Also true.
  • Options

I read that the Obama family were really touched by the efforts that the Bush family made to make them feel welcome and make the handover as smooth as possible. I know Obama also said Bush did everything he could to make the power transition as smooth and professional as possible.
    Could it be that Dubya is a patriot and a fundamentally decent man, regardless of what one thinks of his politics (I mean, it will come as no surprise that I don't approve of them!) – and that the odious Trump family are self-serving, petty morons with no shred of human decency?

You could also say that the, frankly overblown hysteria about 'W' meant that a lot of people were desensitised to the warnings when it came to Trump.

• Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,972
    TOPPING said:

My father had a dog, a Welsh terrier, like that; really nasty with visitors. My wife, then my fiancée wasn't used to dogs and when she came to visit, it really frightened her. Fortunately she and I lived a long way away so only came once or twice, and then not for long.
  • Options

Most dogs are surprisingly good with babies/toddlers but the smaller ones are best for that reason I think.

We got our little dog as a puppy when my youngest was three weeks old. The dog would growl if others tried to pick her up when she didn't want to be picked up but the toddler could be as rough as she wanted picking her up and she'd just sit there and play with her, unless she grabbed her tail.

I swear until my daughter could walk and talk her and puppy seemed to think act like they were twins. Very close to each other.
    I can't remember if I've posted this before - and apols if I have - but I was savaged by an Alsatian when I was 3 and it's left me with a deep rooted anxiety around all dogs except the really poncy little ones. It's quite an inconvenient phobia. Gets in the way of quite a few things.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

Indeed. And well done Bush for that.
    But for me an even starker and more telling comparison is between Obama and Trump.
    Obama did a courteous and professional handover to a man who had smeared him left right & centre, including the promotion of an overtly racist conspiracy theory about his birthplace.
    4 years later Trump won't admit losing the election and thus refutes the democratic process.
    He foments social unrest and riots, does no transition at all, and scarpers off to Florida rather than even meet his successor and shake hands.
    This gap in quality between two human beings is surely about as great as it could possibly be barring outlandish thought experiments like Katie Hopkins and Dame Judi Dench.
    But for me an even starker and more telling comparison is between {nearly anyone vaguely on the same planet as decency} and Trump.

It's a graph. In corner you have Bernie Sanders to George W. Bush. Dick Cheney even. You have to zoom out a long, long way before Trump and his ilk show up. By then, Sanders and Cheney are practically one dot.
    Ha ha, I loved this "decency as a graphic" exposition.

Bravo! :D
  • Options

In bare feet and not on tip toes?

If so, that's unusual.
  • Options

You could also say that the, frankly overblown hysteria about 'W' meant that a lot of people were desensitised to the warnings when it came to Trump.

Does W stand for WMD?
  • Options

Does W stand for WMD?
    Walker.
  • Options

Yes I was hoping to avail myself of that option last time I was in Cornwall but sadly had to negotiate the long slow moving line of caravans instead.
    Fortunately, the Cornish population has been reduced by several hundred thousand airport thriller writers. Much less crowded now...
  • Options

Probably fair comment, in hindsight.

I mean I was heartbroken when Bush won (on both occasions).

I would now consider a Bush as GOP presidential candidate as a cause for relief, even celebration.
  • Options

For deaths, yes, there is a strong weekend effect, and 599 is pretty bad for a Sunday. There's not much of a weekend effect for cases, though, so 37,535, while still pretty awful, represents a continuing movement in the right direction.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,168
    kinabalu said:

If so, that's unusual.
    Roughly the 95th percentile for British males at age 18. You'd expect at least 16 MPs to be that tall, even if you had a perfect gender balance.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,847

I know Carbis Bay well and I can thoroughly recommend the fish and chips from John Beck's in the St Ives Road.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,370
    edited January 2021

Michelle Obama's quote is that they (she and Bush) differ on policy but not humanity.
    Bush really was delighted that someone with an African-American roots had become POTUS, I remember a quote from Bush in circa 2002 which said everyday America allowed slavery was a day America wasn't true to itself.

He also went out of his way to ensure Obama was looked after.

Normal precedent was that you only get Secret Service protection once you get the nomination, which is around April time, but according to the FBI it was clear people were looking to assassinate Obama, so Bush authorised the Secret Service to protect Obama well before that.

Edit - Also at Trump's inauguration, after Trump gave his speech, Bushed turned around to Michelle Obama and said 'Well that was some weird shit.'
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,022
    edited January 2021
    Hopkins currently in the USA (which she 'broke into' apparently) broadcasting about fighting and last stands.
    You can choose to click on the link or not if you're fastidious about giving her the oxygen of publicity.

https://tinyurl.com/y6khrfwf
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

If so, that's unusual.
    Not compared to kids today - I'm amazed how many people I see who are taller than me.
  • Options
    edited January 2021

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

It's not about the efficacy, its about the numbers vacinated before September. This is the politics of Covid now, and Johnson is winning the Covid PR battle hands down, a massive improvement from the Cummings era.

So what if we all need two shots this time next year because the first, single dose only programme didn't give us the required resistance? The PR war against Covid is won, and it has been won by the Conservative Party. BBC lunchtime news was all about vaccine numbers, nothing about hospitalisations and deaths, those stats are so 2020.

Surely the strategy is based on the efficacy, as proposed by that famous Boris fan, erm, Tony Blair?

The vaccination rollout has been a logistical triumph. It has (quite rightly) been a PR triumph too for the Government that organised it. Vaccination provision (quite justifiably ) is now the only metric worth contemplating. I can see the logic in vaccinating everyone with the first dose, and that is fine, but concerns have been raised that if the second dose misses the appropriate window, the process may have to be repeated from scratch. It is a balancing act. One dose for everyone, might be the best way to balance limited supply.
  • Options

Hopkins currently in the USA broadcasting about fighting and last stands.
    You can choose to click on the link or not if you're fastidious about giving her the oxygen of publicity.

https://tinyurl.com/y6khrfwf

At least she's not talking about final solutions.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,078
    Bad assessment day today unfortunately. Was being tested for 'interviewing' and ballsed it up by panicking and giving duff information without thinking right at the end. I'm hoping I'll still be considered "competent" but who knows. :s
  • Options

Michelle Obama's quote is that they (she and Bush) differ on policy but not humanity.
    Bush really was delighted that someone with an African-American roots had become POTUS, I remember a quote from Bush in circa 2002 which said everyday America allowed slavery was a day America wasn't true to itself.

Normal precedent was that you only get Secret Service protection once you get the nomination, which is around April time, but according to the FBI it was clear people were looking to assassinate Obama, so Bush authorised the Secret Service to protect Obama well before that.

Edit - Also at Trump's inauguration, after Trump gave his speech, Bushed turned around to Michelle Obama and said 'Well that was some weird shit.'
    President Bush also did a great deal on debt relief, along with our most intellectual Prime Minister (FPT) Gordon Brown.
  • Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669
    kinabalu said:

I can't remember if I've posted this before - and apols if I have - but I was savaged by an Alsatian when I was 3 and it's left me with a deep rooted anxiety around all dogs except the really poncy little ones. It's quite an inconvenient phobia. Gets in the way of quite a few things.
    I was attacked by our family dog when I was a toddler. I almost lost one eye. My mother called my dad at work. He came home immediately, and took the dog to the vet and had him put down. He got another dog as soon as he could and I've had a dog ever since, - 60 years - almost entirely German Shepherds (Alsatians). I sympathize with your phobia. I was just lucky. Just another example of getting back on the bike, I guess.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Also true.
    Concicentalluy, when looking at the KH tweet referred to by TSE, I noticed this mutt costing his owner £300 plus:

https://twitter.com/TFrancis20/status/1350790168211558402
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    In Covid Top Trumps it would seem the 4million vaccinations card beats highest death rate in the world.

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

Mexican wrote: The vaccination rollout has been a logistical triumph. It has (quite rightly) been a PR triumph too for the Government that organised it. Vaccination provision (quite justifiably ) is now the only metric worth contemplating. I can see the logic in vaccinating everyone with the first dose, and that is fine, but concerns have been raised that if the second dose misses the appropriate window, the process may have to be repeated from scratch. It is a balancing act. One dose for everyone, might be the best way to balance limited supply.

Anabob wrote: If it were me, I'd actually do a slightly different strategy.

I'd run through the over 70s with dose one, then run through them all again with dose 2.

Then I'd conduct the same process with the over 50s and under 50s who have UHC.

The risk to U50s without UHC is so low that we can be left until last, for both doses.

But, as you say, it's a balancing act and there aren't any right or wrong answers in foresight, only in hindsight!
  • Options

President Bush also did a great deal on debt relief, along with our most intellectual Prime Minister (FPT) Gordon Brown.
    Bono of U2 is a huge fan of W Bush as well.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/bono-george-w-bush-world-aids-day-761747/
  • Options
    BurgessianBurgessian Posts: 2,433
    Salmond versus Sturgeon. It really isn't going away.

This from Mandy Rhodes of Holyrood Magazine who is by no means unsympathetic to SNP.

"I am heartily sick of hearing Sturgeon repeat the poor woman playbook that she is being punished for the behaviour of a man.

"I am offended by her batting off attempts at scrutiny over whether she lied or not with a reminder that this is about Salmond and not her.

"I am appalled by the claim that her chief of staff allegedly revealed the name of one of the complainants to someone who used to work for Salmond but at the time was no longer in government, never mind politics."

https://www.holyrood.com/editors-column/view,what-about-the-women
  • Options

Bush is responsible for getting on for a million (is it?) violent deaths, more than a few of them British deaths, due to a war he launched on an entirely false prospectus. I don't hate or resent him for that - I don't hate or resent anyone, however, it does seem more than a little ridiculous to eulogise him on the base of being better at the niceties of Presidential behaviour than one of his successors.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:
    Rather obvious problem with that. The question didn't say WHICH the anthem is. Not something one can count on folk knowing. Jerusalem, for instance?
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Also true.
    Concicentalluy, when looking at the KH tweet referred to by TSE, I noticed this mutt costing his owner £300 plus:

wow
  • Options

kinabalu said:

If so, that's unusual.
    Roughly the 95th percentile for British males at age 18. You'd expect at least 16 MPs to be that tall, even if you had a perfect gender balance.
    Yes, very unusual. This is why I always doublecheck when somebody says they are that tall.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,983
    Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:
    Rather obvious problem with that. The question didn't say WHICH the anthem is. Not something one can count on folk knowing. Jerusalem, for instance?
    Even a plurality of Scots like it, I highly doubt that would be the case if they thought it was Jerusalem rather than GSTQ
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    @Anabobazina

I would go your route too, but as you say, no "right or wrong answers in foresight".
  • Options
    So the critical question is will the British public overlook the high(est? when all is said and done) death rate on account of the vaccine rollout efficacy?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:
    "Love it". There's that 17% again. The basket of deplorables.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

That's wonderful, it has kinda reminded me why I hate the RSPCA so much.
  • Options

Would it be fair to say that nothing in his presidency became him like the leaving it?
    "Today was the day that Donald Trump finally became President"?
    I was talking about Bush, or have I missed the point of your comment?
    Its a long-running joke, that Trump is about to become Presidential (when the author of the joke knows he is not). I was joking that Trump could be the same and become Presidential while leaving office (he won't).
    Ah! Thanks for explaining.

I fear he may be leaving it a bit late...
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:
    Even a plurality of Scots like it, I highly doubt that would be the case if they thought it was Jerusalem rather than GSTQ
    So? Could be Swing low, or whatever English rugger buggers sing in contrapuntion to Scots r. bs. belting out Flower of Scotland (not my favourite either).

It's a meaningless survey.

• Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,100
    If Biden wanted to show a change of tone from Trump, how about a quick trip to Mexico?
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:
    AIUI there is no official national anthem of the UK, although GSTQ is sanctioned by usage.

I think Jerusalem should be the English national anthem – it's a rousing tune.

The Londonderry Air (Oh Danny Boy) at least used to be the NI national anthem, but the title might be problematic.
  • Options

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/bono-george-w-bush-world-aids-day-761747/
    Wonder if that fandom is reciprocal. Does W dig The Joshua Tree?
  • Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,215

If Biden wanted to show a change of tone from Trump, how about a quick trip to Mexico?

And he wouldn't ask them to pay for it?
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:
    That's 17% lost to Starmer for starters.....
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Wonder if that fandom is reciprocal. Does W dig The Joshua Tree?
    I think W is more of a fan of 'The Unforgettable Fire' and 'Achtung Baby'.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    edited January 2021
    kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:
    Loving the national anthem makes you deplorable?

No wonder you would rather support a fascist regime invading a free democracy than see people in a free democracy choosing to maintain connections to Britain.

I dislike the anthem, as an atheist republican it does nothing for me, but I respect those that like it.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:
    What is the Scottish figure for love/like v. hate/dislike as a matter of interest? The weasel word 'plurality' makes me suspicious.
  • Options

Salmond versus Sturgeon. It really isn't going away.

This from Mandy Rhodes of Holyrood Magazine who is by no means unsympathetic to SNP.

"I am heartily sick of hearing Sturgeon repeat the poor woman playbook that she is being punished for the behaviour of a man.

"I am offended by her batting off attempts at scrutiny over whether she lied or not with a reminder that this is about Salmond and not her.

"I am appalled by the claim that her chief of staff allegedly revealed the name of one of the complainants to someone who used to work for Salmond but at the time was no longer in government, never mind politics."

https://www.holyrood.com/editors-column/view,what-about-the-women

Orders supplies of Scottish popcorn! 🍿
  • Options
    UK 1st Dose Vaccinations - 4,062,501 up to and including 17 January 2021
  • Options

Does W stand for WMD?
    Walker.
    I think one of those letters is wrong.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:
    So? Could be Swing low, or whatever English rugger buggers sing in contrapuntion to Scots r. bs. belting out Flower of Scotland (not my favourite either).

I think FOS is a pretty good tune.

But the Welsh national anthem (LOMF) is the best in these isles.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:
    How can anyone hate, "Hen Wlad Fy Nhadau" ?
  • Options

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:
    AIUI there is no official national anthem of the UK, although GSTQ is sanctioned by usage.

I think Jerusalem should be the English national anthem – it's a rousing tune.

The Londonderry Air (Oh Danny Boy) at least used to be the NI national anthem, but the title might be problematic.
    Very soft spot for Blake myself.
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

kinabalu said:

I was attacked by our family dog when I was a toddler. I almost lost one eye. My mother called my dad at work. He came home immediately, and took the dog to the vet and had him put down. He got another dog as soon as he could and I've had a dog ever since, - 60 years - almost entirely German Shepherds (Alsatians). I sympathize with your phobia. I was just lucky. Just another example of getting back on the bike, I guess.
    Wow. That sounds worse than mine. I just got a big scare and a bite on the leg. And yes, I suppose getting another one quickly must have worked. We were not a dog owning family though.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

No wonder you would rather support a fascist regime invading a free democracy than see people in a free democracy choosing to maintain connections to Britain.

I dislike the anthem, as an atheist republican it does nothing for me, but I respect those that like it.
    Well, the good news is that it’s almost certainly going to change within the next decade...
  • Options

kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

Just a terrible tune. I disrespect people who love it on the basis that they have terrible taste in music. I'm not a Republican, BTW.
  • Options

Is Trump troubled by any residual humanity?
  • Options
    Re: death rate vs vaccination rate the two are clearly linked. At the moment the UK has the 6th worst death rate in the world (excluding microstates) but a month from now, I suspect we will have dropped out of the top ten. And by the summer I would expect countries like France to have gone past us.

• Options

kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

What, all of them?
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,610
    New cases down, deaths & admissions up:

• Options

kinabalu said:

If so, that's unusual.
    Not compared to kids today - I'm amazed how many people I see who are taller than me.
    It shouldn't be that many if you are truly six two.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,212
    Surely the President will not be going anywhere whilst the current travel restrictions are in force in so many countries, not just here. I would not be at all surprised if his trip in November is his first one which would make the UK a good bet unless he wants a social call immediately before that.
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

I think FOS is a pretty good tune.

But the Welsh national anthem (LOMF) is the best in these isles.
    Especially when sung by John Redwood.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JA1gBGtOlZU
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,502

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

The vaccination rollout has been a logistical triumph. It has (quite rightly) been a PR triumph too for the Government that organised it. Vaccination provision (quite justifiably ) is now the only metric worth contemplating. I can see the logic in vaccinating everyone with the first dose, and that is fine, but concerns have been raised that if the second dose misses the appropriate window, the process may have to be repeated from scratch. It is a balancing act. One dose for everyone, might be the best way to balance limited supply.
    I'm not sure there's much evidence for what the 'appropriate window' in that respect is though.
    I think that 12 weeks was selected as antibody levels tend to tail off significantly after that, but I think the concern is more over what might happen should you get infected before the second shot, rather than that the booster won't work.
This discussion has been closed.