Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Undefined discussion subject.

Comments

• Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,226
    edited January 2021

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:
    Rather obvious problem with that. The question didn't say WHICH the anthem is. Not something one can count on folk knowing. Jerusalem, for instance?
    Even a plurality of Scots like it, I highly doubt that would be the case if they thought it was Jerusalem rather than GSTQ
    So? Could be Swing low, or whatever English rugger buggers sing in contrapuntion to Scots r. bs. belting out Flower of Scotland (not my favourite either).

It's a meaningless survey.

I think FOS is a pretty good tune.

But the Welsh national anthem (LOMF) is the best in these isles.
    Yes, I like that one a lot. The way it builds and builds and then, just when you think it can build no more, it carries on building until it abruptly ends. It never relents. Watching the Welsh players sing it, full on and all the way through, at the start of the rugby I'm surprised they still have the energy for the match.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    edited January 2021
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

RobD said:

Perhaps the new UK/EU neutral zone: NI.

No, NI is the Demilitarised Zone. The EU is the Federation, we are the Cardassians. Arlene Forster is Quark.
    No, if the EU is the Federation then we're the Maquis. The EU is closer to the Borg though. Russia are the Orion syndicate.
    Perhaps the EU is the Federation, only Lieutenant Commander Eddington's assessment of the Federation (it wasn't right, but he had a point).
    Yes, Sisko had a lot of sympathy for Eddington and the Maquis at the end of it all. The Federation hated the Maquis because they left paradise, it's actually a pretty good analogy to Brexit. The EU hate us because we had the temerity to leave paradise. DS9 really was such a great series, easily the best that Star Trek had to offer.
    Also on DS9, today in 2021 we go on about how it's great that there's so much minority representation etc... on TV even though much of it feels forced. DS9 did it in the 90s with the pivotal role in the follow up to a hugely successful series going to a black actor and did it with no fuss. They didn't make a big deal about how Sisko was black, he was the captain and you respected the character, not because of his skin colour, but because he was a well written and complex character.
  • Options

Re: death rate vs vaccination rate the two are clearly linked. At the moment the UK has the 6th worst death rate in the world (excluding microstates) but a month from now, I suspect we will have dropped out of the top ten. And by the summer I would expect countries like France to have gone past us.

But someone posted something from the i earlier today?

-_-
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,442
    edited January 2021

Are people from Hampshire usually this dumb?

Partygoers who claimed to be unaware of the global pandemic, a group hosting a gender reveal party and people attending an illegal car meet are among the coronavirus rule-breakers caught over the weekend.

Police shut down a party in Basingstoke, Hampshire, on Saturday but were told the hosts were "unaware of the global pandemic, as they never watch the news".

https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19-partygoers-claimed-they-had-not-heard-of-the-pandemic-as-police-reveal-breaches-over-the-weekend-12191416

'Amazingstoke'* as we used to call it

*not in a good way
  • Options
    Pagan2Pagan2 Posts: 8,844

RobD said:

I think I may have to boycott John Lewis.

https://twitter.com/DailyMirror/status/1349850481707900935

Horrified? By a man taking a piss outside. Jesus.
    If they had pissed up against the wheels or the bushes nearby it wouldn't be an issue.

They peed up near the bit where they slide the delivered products in and out of.

They've likely contaminated their products.

How would you feel if you paid £2,000 for a TV only for it to have urine on it?
    Well if you watch broadcast tv it is going to have a load of shit on it in any case so what is a little urine?
  • Options
    GaussianGaussian Posts: 793
    MaxPB said:

Gaussian said:

Are people actually being told that they still need to adhere to the lockdown after the first shot?

Yes, both people I know who have had it have been told that they won't have immunity from symptoms until their second jabs and to be careful until two weeks after their second appointments. Though both of them had it done at hospitals by nurses, I don't know what the spiel is from volunteers, I hope it's the same though. Maybe people on PB who have had it can enlighten us.
    Good. I think some more public messaging on that is needed as well, both to reinforce it for people who have had the jab, and so that others are aware there still is substantial risk to them.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,465
    kle4 said:

I hope you mean Waitrose too, the fewer working class in there the better.
    I shop and Fortnum & Mason, the choice of the working man.
    What kind of working man?
    The kind that wears pearls, a blue rinse, and a rainhood, if the redoubtable dames I've seen shopping in the F&M Food Hall the twice I've been there are anything to go by.
  • Options

kle4 said:

I hope you mean Waitrose too, the fewer working class in there the better.
    I shop and Fortnum & Mason, the choice of the working man.
    What kind of working man?
    The sort of working man who can spend almost all of every day on PB
    A manager?
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,002
    edited January 2021

If it were me, I'd actually do a slightly different strategy.

I'd run through the over 70s with dose one, then run through them all again with dose 2.

Then I'd conduct the same process with the over 50s and under 50s who have UHC.

The risk to U50s without UHC is so low that we can be left until last, for both doses.

But, as you say, it's a balancing act and there aren't any right or wrong answers in foresight, only in hindsight!

It also rather depends on whether J&J will get approved shortly, and if they have doses ready to deliver.

If they do, and we're about to see a doubling of our capacity in a month (or more, given it's single shot), then that suggests a different strategy to if AZN and Pfizer are all we have.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,028
    stodge said:

HYUFD said:
    I think Lord Patten summed it up very well early last year:

https://www.hongkongwatch.org/all-posts/2020/2/6/in-full-lord-pattens-remarks-at-the-paddy-ashdown-memorial-lecture

Do you think we should extend the right of residence in the UK to those Hong Kong residents with BNO passports?
    Yes, they are highly skilled and entrepreneurial
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,898

Partygoers who claimed to be unaware of the global pandemic, a group hosting a gender reveal party and people attending an illegal car meet are among the coronavirus rule-breakers caught over the weekend.

Police shut down a party in Basingstoke, Hampshire, on Saturday but were told the hosts were "unaware of the global pandemic, as they never watch the news".

https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19-partygoers-claimed-they-had-not-heard-of-the-pandemic-as-police-reveal-breaches-over-the-weekend-12191416

As a former Hampshire resident, I would point out that your link refers specifically to residents of the town of Basingstoke.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,857
    HYUFD said:
    Good.
    Opportunity for the U.K.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,002

kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:
    "Love it". There's that 17% again. The basket of deplorables.
    Loving the national anthem makes you deplorable?

No wonder you would rather support a fascist regime invading a free democracy than see people in a free democracy choosing to maintain connections to Britain.

I dislike the anthem, as an atheist republican it does nothing for me, but I respect those that like it.
    I think God Save the Queen is pretty weak, musically. If I had a choice, I'd definitely choose Jerusalem over it.
  • Options
    test

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

I think the National Anthem is a good little tune. Very Georgian sounding, nice and easy to belt out for a crowd without everyone losing their place and it sounding terrible. It is brief, and ends neatly and on a high. French national anthem starts nicely but in the end sort of falters off into obscurity like a messy Napoleonic retreat. American national anthem is very good, a bit harder to sing than GSTQ. German is solid but the last bit is too high, and it's like GSTQ's less effective sibling.

That's basically my thinking on the national anthem. French one is better as a tune, but ours is not as bad as some say when not played too slowly, and it is very easy to sing loudly in a crowd, which is very handy for an anthem.
    It has famously been stolen by the Americans as 'My country tis of thee', which I think speaks to its competence as an anthem.
    It's also the tune to the Lichtenstein anthem, as memorably encountered during a friendly between it and England where the same tune was played twice.
    And Le Havre AC, with these words:

"A jamais le premier
    de tous les clubs français
    ô H.A.C.
    Fiers de tes origines
    Fils d'Oxford et Cambridge
    deux couleurs font notre prestige
    Ciel et marine!"

English translation:

"The first ever
    of all French clubs
    The H.A.C
    Proud of your roots
    Son of Oxford and Cambridge
    two colours make our prestige
    (the colours of the) sky and the sea!"
    That it a bit of a stretch to scan: I dread to think what it sounds like when sung.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125

"a man drove 100 miles from Luton to Devizes in Wiltshire for a McDonald's.

The 34-year-old was fined £200 for the drive and, even more unluckily for him, the town does not have the fast food outlet."
  • Options

kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:
    It might have more to do with dreadful taste rather than blind patriotism.
    Maybe. But my hunch would be more the latter. The survey needed a supplementary to help us interpret it better. "If your neighbour put a Union Jack or St George on their roof, would you be (a) pleased, (b) not fussed, (c) logging into rightmove?
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,969
    Hm, this is a tad misleading as you might think that there are no new admission coming each day, when in reality the admissions figure is as high as it has ever been.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,797

All this talk of Star Trek and nobody has mentioned how annoying “Counsellor” Troi was.

“I sense great danger” she kept moaning uselessly, clutching her temple as a Borg craft materialised into view on the Visualiser.

Sounds like a government super forecaster to me.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,481
    edited January 2021
    Sandpit said:

As a former Hampshire resident, I would point out that your link refers specifically to residents of the town of Basingstoke.
    They probably came from other parts of Hampshire.

We need to build a wall around Hampshire to stop this stupidity spreading.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

A word teaming with hidden meaning...
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,435
    RobD said:

Hm, this is a tad misleading as you might think that there are no new admission coming each day, when in reality the admissions figure is as high as it has ever been.
    Is that a LibDem bar chart, I see before me?
  • Options
    BluestBlueBluestBlue Posts: 4,556

All this talk of Star Trek and nobody has mentioned how annoying “Counsellor” Troi was.

“I sense great danger” she kept moaning uselessly, clutching her temple as a Borg craft materialised into view on the Visualiser.

That time she drove the Enterprise into a planet a few minutes after taking the helm always seemed a bit anti-feminist to me.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:
    Honestly it's time for us to build a firewall around China and deny them internet access to western social media.
  • Options
    GaussianGaussian Posts: 793
    RobD said:

Indeed. 4000 a day. What was the sustainable rate thought to be?
  • Options
    Gaussian said:

RobD said:

A few hundred.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,631
    edited January 2021
    MaxPB said:

Nigelb said:
    Honestly it's time for us to build a firewall around China and deny them internet access to western social media.
    To be fair, the US have their own homegrown, government funded efforts.

https://twitter.com/Ryan_Mac_Phd/status/1351202691394002945
  • Options

That time she drove the Enterprise into a planet a few minutes after taking the helm always seemed a bit anti-feminist to me.
    Nah, it was the only option.

What was really anti feminist was Klingon Kleavage (sic).
  • Options

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

We need to ban dog ownership, they are a menace.

If not that, they need to be on a leash and muzzled at all times.

Richmond Park dog walker fined £602 over pet's 'relentless' fatal attack on deer

Police are urging dog owners to keep their pets on a tight lead after an increase in attacks during lockdown.

A man has been fined £602 after his dog fatally injured a deer during a "relentless" attack in London's Richmond Park.

Dramatic footage filmed by a cyclist shows Franck Hiribarne's red setter, Alfie, rushing at the small hind, jumping up at her and dragging her backwards, at around 9am on 1 October last year.

Despite the efforts of several passers-by to get between the animals, forming a human barrier to stop the attack, Alfie left the deer with deep wounds to her back and tail, which was partially detached.

The hind also suffered a broken leg after being hit by a car in her attempts to get away.

She was found a short while later, collapsed in the ferns, and had to be put down by a gamekeeper.

Mr Hiribarne, from southwest London, pleaded guilty at Wimbledon Magistrates' Court on 15 January to causing or permitting an animal he was in charge of to injure another animal in a royal park. He was fined £602.

The defendant reported the incident himself to the Royal Parks Office, while witnesses - some of whom described the attack as "relentless" - spoke to officers in a passing police car.

https://news.sky.com/story/richmond-park-dog-walker-fined-163602-over-pets-relentless-fatal-attack-on-deer-12191357

Red setters are horrid little dogs. They look nice though.
    You must be very big, if you consider a Red Setter to be "little".
    I'm 6.2. I suppose they're medium.
    In bare feet and not on tip toes?

If so, that's unusual.
    Roughly the 95th percentile for British males at age 18. You'd expect at least 16 MPs to be that tall, even if you had a perfect gender balance.
    Yes, very unusual. This is why I always doublecheck when somebody says they are that tall.
    A significant number of the sixth-form boys I teach are that height or more. Many of my A-level sets over the years have contained someone who has to duck to go through the door of the lab.
    Well it's approx 1 in 20 according to @LostPassword. If your classes are consistently much taller than that there's something funny going on. A strong and positive correlation between physics and height. Guess it's possible.
  • Options

Attempting a parallel park ?
  • Options

The 34-year-old was fined £200 for the drive and, even more unluckily for him, the town does not have the fast food outlet."
    West Yorkshire police stopped and fined three young men in a car going from Manchester to Yorkshire to ‘buy a takeaway’ - then the police noticed their car wasn’t taxed and seized it, so they had to get a taxi back down the M62.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9154327/Police-seize-fast-food-fans-car-following-90mph-chase.html
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

MaxPB said:

Nigelb said:

Yes, but king dickhead has been taken offline, if they can do that then they can take Chinese propagandists offline too.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Nigelb said:

MaxPB said:

Nigelb said:

Yes, but king dickhead has been taken offline, if they can do that then they can take Chinese propagandists offline too.
    Not unreasonable.
  • Options

test

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

I think the National Anthem is a good little tune. Very Georgian sounding, nice and easy to belt out for a crowd without everyone losing their place and it sounding terrible. It is brief, and ends neatly and on a high. French national anthem starts nicely but in the end sort of falters off into obscurity like a messy Napoleonic retreat. American national anthem is very good, a bit harder to sing than GSTQ. German is solid but the last bit is too high, and it's like GSTQ's less effective sibling.

That's basically my thinking on the national anthem. French one is better as a tune, but ours is not as bad as some say when not played too slowly, and it is very easy to sing loudly in a crowd, which is very handy for an anthem.
    It has famously been stolen by the Americans as 'My country tis of thee', which I think speaks to its competence as an anthem.
    It's also the tune to the Lichtenstein anthem, as memorably encountered during a friendly between it and England where the same tune was played twice.

"A jamais le premier
    ô H.A.C.
    Fiers de tes origines
    Ciel et marine!"

English translation:

"The first ever
    of all French clubs
    The H.A.C
    Proud of your roots
    That it a bit of a stretch to scan: I dread to think what it sounds like when sung.
    Dread no more, just click! I like the foghorn at the start..
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wy2MhV8sFyw
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,726

RobD said:

If they had pissed up against the wheels or the bushes nearby it wouldn't be an issue.

They peed up near the bit where they slide the delivered products in and out of.

Pissed off?
  • Options

Sandpit said:

A few more roundabouts in Basingstoke should keep them all happily lost inside.

That town was designed by the guy who thought the one thing wrong they got wrong with Milton Keynes, was that it didn’t have enough roundabouts.
  • Options
    Stocky said:

RobD said:

Pissed off?
    What would you rather be, pissed off or pissed on?
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

kinabalu said:

Tim_B said:

kinabalu said:

Richmond Park dog walker fined £602 over pet's 'relentless' fatal attack on deer

Police are urging dog owners to keep their pets on a tight lead after an increase in attacks during lockdown.

A man has been fined £602 after his dog fatally injured a deer during a "relentless" attack in London's Richmond Park.

Dramatic footage filmed by a cyclist shows Franck Hiribarne's red setter, Alfie, rushing at the small hind, jumping up at her and dragging her backwards, at around 9am on 1 October last year.

Despite the efforts of several passers-by to get between the animals, forming a human barrier to stop the attack, Alfie left the deer with deep wounds to her back and tail, which was partially detached.

The hind also suffered a broken leg after being hit by a car in her attempts to get away.

She was found a short while later, collapsed in the ferns, and had to be put down by a gamekeeper.

Mr Hiribarne, from southwest London, pleaded guilty at Wimbledon Magistrates' Court on 15 January to causing or permitting an animal he was in charge of to injure another animal in a royal park. He was fined £602.

The defendant reported the incident himself to the Royal Parks Office, while witnesses - some of whom described the attack as "relentless" - spoke to officers in a passing police car.

https://news.sky.com/story/richmond-park-dog-walker-fined-163602-over-pets-relentless-fatal-attack-on-deer-12191357

Certainly they need to be under control. That need not mean muzzled, and need not mean on a lead at all times. However, like everything else, the bad owners let everyone else down.
    I know, my friend had a pair of Rottweilers, he had them since they were puppies, they were the most dumb dogs you'd ever meet, it was very hard to be afraid of dogs that used to bark at their own farts and get scared of their own reflections in the patio door.

My friend said if there was ever a break in at his house, the burglars had to give the dogs some sausages and they'd help carry the TV out for them.
    Wait till your toddler daughter tries to kiss them, and they mistake it for an attack.
    That's the reason he got rid of them, not so much for that, they still thought they were puppies.

They'd crush babies/toddlers in excitement.
    Most dogs are surprisingly good with babies/toddlers but the smaller ones are best for that reason I think.

We got our little dog as a puppy when my youngest was three weeks old. The dog would growl if others tried to pick her up when she didn't want to be picked up but the toddler could be as rough as she wanted picking her up and she'd just sit there and play with her, unless she grabbed her tail.

I swear until my daughter could walk and talk her and puppy seemed to think act like they were twins. Very close to each other.
    I can't remember if I've posted this before - and apols if I have - but I was savaged by an Alsatian when I was 3 and it's left me with a deep rooted anxiety around all dogs except the really poncy little ones. It's quite an inconvenient phobia. Gets in the way of quite a few things.
    I was attacked by our family dog when I was a toddler. I almost lost one eye. My mother called my dad at work. He came home immediately, and took the dog to the vet and had him put down. He got another dog as soon as he could and I've had a dog ever since, - 60 years - almost entirely German Shepherds (Alsatians). I sympathize with your phobia. I was just lucky. Just another example of getting back on the bike, I guess.
    Wow. That sounds worse than mine. I just got a big scare and a bite on the leg. And yes, I suppose getting another one quickly must have worked. We were not a dog owning family though.
    My daughter got married a year ago. He's a nice guy but has never had a pet. He is now convinced he's a dog lover - or at least smart enough not to say otherwise. He knows a German Shepherd is inevitable.

Speaking of phobias, mine is needles. How bad? The doc gives me valium before blood work. Now there's a vaccine for covid, my mind is working overtime. 2 shots? Think I'll wait for the J&J which is 1 shot.
    We are total opposites on these 2 things then. If my fiance got a big dog I'd have to call off the wedding. And needles, I don't mind at all. I almost like the sensation of being pricked with one.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,287
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

If so, that's unusual.
    Roughly the 95th percentile for British males at age 18. You'd expect at least 16 MPs to be that tall, even if you had a perfect gender balance.
    Yes, very unusual. This is why I always doublecheck when somebody says they are that tall.
    A significant number of the sixth-form boys I teach are that height or more. Many of my A-level sets over the years have contained someone who has to duck to go through the door of the lab.
    Well it's approx 1 in 20 according to @LostPassword. If your classes are consistently much taller than that there's something funny going on. A strong and positive correlation between physics and height. Guess it's possible.
    It’s because A-level physics is a hell of a stretch.
  • Options
    Stocky said:

RobD said:

Pissed off?
    You just need some of the ultimate taking the piss present

• Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,393

kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

No wonder you would rather support a fascist regime invading a free democracy than see people in a free democracy choosing to maintain connections to Britain.

I dislike the anthem, as an atheist republican it does nothing for me, but I respect those that like it.
    Just from a musical point of view I find it hard to respect the taste of people who like GSTQ.

For whatever reason it's only the Marsellaise, of national anthems, that I find myself humming at random - and only the star-spangled banner that I learnt to play on tin whistle.
    The Brittan version is pretty good musically.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mV1-OkHQ9KQ

Thirty years ago I was in a choir singing it while HM was sitting in her place in the chapel: that was a strange experience...
    Love the way that builds up. Immense.

Maybe you need a bit of foreplay with GSTQ to make it as satisfying as it can be.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Not the least fault of the whole Trump shitshow is its overweening fcuking pettiness.

https://twitter.com/anneapplebaum/status/1351175420356530177?s=20

Compare and contrast with the Bush family showing the Obama family round.... complete with Obama kids using a sloped corridor as a slide, to smiles from all the adults.
    I read that the Obama family were really touched by the efforts that the Bush family made to make them feel welcome and make the handover as smooth as possible. I know Obama also said Bush did everything he could to make the power transition as smooth and professional as possible.
    Could it be that Dubya is a patriot and a fundamentally decent man, regardless of what one thinks of his politics (I mean, it will come as no surprise that I don't approve of them!) – and that the odious Trump family are self-serving, petty morons with no shred of human decency?

I mean, that could be one hypothesis.
    Michelle Obama's quote is that they (she and Bush) differ on policy but not humanity.
    Bush really was delighted that someone with an African-American roots had become POTUS, I remember a quote from Bush in circa 2002 which said everyday America allowed slavery was a day America wasn't true to itself.

He also went out of his way to ensure Obama was looked after.

Normal precedent was that you only get Secret Service protection once you get the nomination, which is around April time, but according to the FBI it was clear people were looking to assassinate Obama, so Bush authorised the Secret Service to protect Obama well before that.

Edit - Also at Trump's inauguration, after Trump gave his speech, Bushed turned around to Michelle Obama and said 'Well that was some weird shit.'
    Bush is responsible for getting on for a million (is it?) violent deaths, more than a few of them British deaths, due to a war he launched on an entirely false prospectus. I don't hate or resent him for that - I don't hate or resent anyone, however, it does seem more than a little ridiculous to eulogise him on the base of being better at the niceties of Presidential behaviour than one of his successors.
    Yes, Iraq was a terrible mistake.

But I'd rather have a leader who made terrible mistakes, awful mistakes, but who respected the system of government, the rule of law and who accepted the will of the voters.

You know why? Because those things allow mistakes to be corrected.

It's why it was better to have dreadful governments in the 1970s that put forward ridiculous tax policies, that allowed the rubbish to go uncollected and the unions to run out of control, than the alternative of backing a coup. Because that coup may have implemented policies I liked, but it would have destroyed the system I loved.

It was a mistake, because it went wrong.

If it had been a stunning success, people would have cared about it as much as they did about Kosovo.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,786
    Nigelb said:

I'm bloody awful at that. I used to be ok, but a 20 year interlude in my owning a car has made me simply dreadful. Back in the 90s I generally did the Parisian bump technique as my car and it's paintwork were owned by the company.

Troi was fine. It was the boy that ruined that series.

• Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,857
    I see that, while PB has spent the day frothing about the Falklands, the govt has been asked to help bailout Eurostar.

Those joke memes of a bricked up Chunnel might turn out to be true after all.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Oi. Basingstoke is chavtastic.

Known as Basingrad. Or Boringstoke.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

MaxPB said:

Nigelb said:

That takes the biscuit - but no doubt the next challenger will be along soon.
  • Options

test

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

"A jamais le premier
    ô H.A.C.
    Fiers de tes origines
    Ciel et marine!"

English translation:

"The first ever
    of all French clubs
    The H.A.C
    Proud of your roots
    Dread no more, just click! I like the foghorn at the start..
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wy2MhV8sFyw
    The next video suggested by YouTube after I watched that has the title "Analyzing Evil"...
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

RobD said:

Perhaps the new UK/EU neutral zone: NI.

No, NI is the Demilitarised Zone. The EU is the Federation, we are the Cardassians. Arlene Forster is Quark.
    No, if the EU is the Federation then we're the Maquis. The EU is closer to the Borg though. Russia are the Orion syndicate.
    Perhaps the EU is the Federation, only Lieutenant Commander Eddington's assessment of the Federation (it wasn't right, but he had a point).
    Yes, Sisko had a lot of sympathy for Eddington and the Maquis at the end of it all. The Federation hated the Maquis because they left paradise, it's actually a pretty good analogy to Brexit. The EU hate us because we had the temerity to leave paradise. DS9 really was such a great series, easily the best that Star Trek had to offer.
    Also on DS9, today in 2021 we go on about how it's great that there's so much minority representation etc... on TV even though much of it feels forced. DS9 did it in the 90s with the pivotal role in the follow up to a hugely successful series going to a black actor and did it with no fuss. They didn't make a big deal about how Sisko was black, he was the captain and you respected the character, not because of his skin colour, but because he was a well written and complex character.
    But, given he becomes first officer on a federation ship, is Chakotay a rejoiner?

The Rochdale Pioneers of the Star Trek world?
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,579
    edited January 2021
    ydoethur said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

If so, that's unusual.
    It's because he's (relatively) old.

Pair of Red Setters once killed 4 of my geese because the stupid owner had let them off the lead.

Good on the man for reporting himself.

Also good on the Court for a sensible fine.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

Just from a musical point of view I find it hard to respect the taste of people who like GSTQ.

For whatever reason it's only the Marsellaise, of national anthems, that I find myself humming at random - and only the star-spangled banner that I learnt to play on tin whistle.
    The Brittan version is pretty good musically.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mV1-OkHQ9KQ

Thirty years ago I was in a choir singing it while HM was sitting in her place in the chapel: that was a strange experience...
    Love the way that builds up. Immense.

Maybe you need a bit of foreplay with GSTQ to make it as satisfying as it can be.
    The best national anthem by far was the old Soviet anthem. Musically it is just superb.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U06jlgpMtQs
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,481
    edited January 2021
    Obviously these are Antifa actors paid by Soros.

Members of the mob that stormed the Capitol are telling police they felt President Trump told them to, potentially making him liable to criminal charges for incitement.

With more participants in the siege being arrested every day, explanations of their actions are emerging. One Kentucky man told the FBI that he went to Washington with his cousin and marched towards Congress because “President Trump said to do so”.

A retired Pennsylvania firefighter, charged with throwing a fire extinguisher at police, said he believed he was “instructed” to go to the Capitol by the president, according to court documents seen by The Washington Post.

Jenna Ryan, a Dallas estate agent charged with illegally entering the Capitol, begged Mr Trump for a pardon on local television. “I thought I was following my president,” she said.

“I thought I was following what we were called to do . . . He asked us to fly there. He asked us to be there. So I was doing what he asked us to do.”

The insistence that they were carrying out Mr Trump’s instructions could pose risks of criminal liability. Karl Racine, the Washington DC attorney-general, has said that he may charge those who addressed the crowd with incitement to violence. Mr Trump told them: “If you don’t fight like hell, you’re not going to have a country any more.”

Other speakers under investigation by Mr Racine include Rudy Giuliani, the president’s personal lawyer who called for “trial by combat”, and Donald Trump Jr, the president’s son, who implored them to “stand up and fight”.

The agitators’ explanations of their actions are certain to be brought up in Mr Trump’s impeachment trial as evidence that he incited the insurrection.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/world/we-obeyed-trumps-orders-say-capitol-rioters-5bqkhnjpg
  • Options

Sandpit said:

I've only been to the outskirts of Basingstoke once (to take my nephew indoor skydiving), but from friends I'm told it's like a smaller Reading?
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    ydoethur said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

If so, that's unusual.
    Well Newton did say he was standing on the shoulders of giants.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,343
    Is there a general policy on asking planning officers to make site visits? It seems to me incompatible with "only work away from home if your business is essential". I'm sure there are lots of indomitable officers willing to take the risk, but I don't think they should be asked to, or even allowed to, when we're trying to minimise contacts.

I partly ask because I've been pressed to attend one myself as a vaguely connected councillor (it's not in my ward). I've curtly declined, and am considering asking for a general halt. That doesn't mean that applications not requiring site visits shouldn't proceed, but otherwise I'd argue they can wait a couple of months.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,203

As I posted yesterday - clearly there is more to the story than has been released, either that or Wiltshire police really are that thick as to believe him. Mind you, they wasted millions trying to convict a dead PM whose crime seems to have been not getting married.
  • Options
    edited January 2021

Sandpit said:

I've only been to the outskirts of Basingstoke once (to take my nephew indoor skydiving), but from friends I'm told it's like a smaller Reading?
    No way, there’s a few nice old green bits and a river in the middle of Reading.

Basingstoke is one big council estate surrounding a concrete jungle of shopping centres - with a few new-ish blocks of expensive box-room flats next to the station. And roundabouts. Lots and lots of roundabouts.
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    MattW said:

ydoethur said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

If so, that's unusual.

Pair of Red Setters once killed 4 of my geese because the stupid owner had let them off the lead.

What has a psychotic red setter got to do with the height of the A-level cohorts of @Fysics_Teacher?
  • Options
    Nigelb said:
    By now, I'd be amazed if no-one who has had the vaccine has died in the UK (oldies first, and its been at least a month). Not because of the vaccine, but because they were very old.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,579

I like the National Anthem, and Jerusalem.

I enjoy Rule Britannia, and the Sailor's Hornpipe.

I love Land of Hope & Glory.

I am touched by I Vow To Thee, My Country.

I am deeply moved by Nimrod.

I am neutral on Abide With Me.

I think Vindaloo is silly, unless you're pissed and at the football.

Bohemian Rhapsody would be awesome as a national awesome.
    Every country should have a national awesome.
    TSE really going to stand saluting for nearly 6 minutes?

Hmmm.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

MattW said:

ydoethur said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

If so, that's unusual.

What has a psychotic red setter got to do with the height of the A-level cohorts of @Fysics_Teacher?
    I was wondering that myself...
  • Options
    Omnium said:

Nigelb said:

I'm bloody awful at that. I used to be ok, but a 20 year interlude in my owning a car has made me simply dreadful. Back in the 90s I generally did the Parisian bump technique as my car and it's paintwork were owned by the company.

Troi was fine. It was the boy that ruined that series.

You can get cars that do it for you now. In the future no one will be able to parallel park...
  • Options

Sandpit said:

It's a typical London overspill sort of place.

It used to be a vibrant Hampshire market town but they did a culture war on it in the 1960s.
  • Options
    eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,897
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

If so, that's unusual.
    I'm 6'4''. In Germany I meet men who are at least as tall as I am a lot more often than I did when I lived in England. But I don't consider 6'2'' to be "very unusual" in England, and over here I would say it's common for men at least.
  • Options

I see that, while PB has spent the day frothing about the Falklands, the govt has been asked to help bailout Eurostar.

Oddly there hasn't been much frothing. Not sure anyone's bothered with the rights and wrongs of the war for example. (I've not read the full thread)
    MattW said:

ydoethur said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

If so, that's unusual.

I presume you keep geese to sell at Xmas? I really like eating goose, and I've often wondered why it's not available year-round. My entirely lonely Xmas Day was cheered by my having obtained a couple of legs to roast.

Are there limitations, or is it just a lack of demand outside the season?

• Options

Stocky said:

RobD said:

Pissed off?
    You just need some of the ultimate taking the piss present

Is that Trump's preferred brand?
  • Options
    RobD said:

Another one deliberately trying to obscure the message by using derivatives.

• Options
    @Richard_Tyndall much as it pains me to say so the US, French and Soviet anthems all have more to recommend them musically.

The Chinese one got totally drilled into my soul during the 2012 Olympics because I heard it so bloody often. But whilst distinctive at the start I don't think it's very good.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:
    Half the regulars on this site have spent the last few months gleefully rubbishing the Chinese vaccine based on nothing more than their distrust of China. Why would they not expect the opposite to occur in China?
  • Options

@Richard_Tyndall much as it pains me to say so the US, French and Soviet anthems all have more to recommend them musically.

The Chinese one got totally drilled into my soul during the 2012 Olympics because I heard it so bloody often. But whilst distinctive at the start I don't think it's very good.

The Russian one is so good the Village People and Pet Shop Boys covered it.
  • Options
    eristdoof said:

RobD said:

Yep. Its annoying - derivative spectra have their uses, just not the way they are being abused to gull the gullible.
  • Options

Members of the mob that stormed the Capitol are telling police they felt President Trump told them to, potentially making him liable to criminal charges for incitement.

With more participants in the siege being arrested every day, explanations of their actions are emerging. One Kentucky man told the FBI that he went to Washington with his cousin and marched towards Congress because “President Trump said to do so”.

A retired Pennsylvania firefighter, charged with throwing a fire extinguisher at police, said he believed he was “instructed” to go to the Capitol by the president, according to court documents seen by The Washington Post.

Jenna Ryan, a Dallas estate agent charged with illegally entering the Capitol, begged Mr Trump for a pardon on local television. “I thought I was following my president,” she said.

“I thought I was following what we were called to do . . . He asked us to fly there. He asked us to be there. So I was doing what he asked us to do.”

The insistence that they were carrying out Mr Trump’s instructions could pose risks of criminal liability. Karl Racine, the Washington DC attorney-general, has said that he may charge those who addressed the crowd with incitement to violence. Mr Trump told them: “If you don’t fight like hell, you’re not going to have a country any more.”

Other speakers under investigation by Mr Racine include Rudy Giuliani, the president’s personal lawyer who called for “trial by combat”, and Donald Trump Jr, the president’s son, who implored them to “stand up and fight”.

The agitators’ explanations of their actions are certain to be brought up in Mr Trump’s impeachment trial as evidence that he incited the insurrection.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/world/we-obeyed-trumps-orders-say-capitol-rioters-5bqkhnjpg

Forgive my ignorance, but can there be a class action for a defence?
  • Options
    x

Nigelb said:
    Half the regulars on this site have spent the last few months gleefully rubbishing the Chinese vaccine based on nothing more than their distrust of China. Why would they not expect the opposite to occur in China?
    This is from "China State Affiliated Media". AFAIK PB isn't state affiliated? And have the Beeb been tweeting rubbish about the Chinese vaccine?
  • Options

All I said was that I found our Falklands dominion "a bit odd". The frothing was a big surprise to me. Lessons learnt.
  • Options

The Soviet anthem is a great bit of music. They played it at a Russian wedding I attended a couple of years ago in Londongrad, all of the Russians stood to attention and sang along. Was a bit weird, can't imagine anyone playing GSTQ at their wedding.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,946
    Omnium said:

Oddly there hasn't been much frothing. Not sure anyone's bothered with the rights and wrongs of the war for example. (I've not read the full thread)
    MattW said:

ydoethur said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

If so, that's unusual.

I presume you keep geese to sell at Xmas? I really like eating goose, and I've often wondered why it's not available year-round. My entirely lonely Xmas Day was cheered by my having obtained a couple of legs to roast.

Also love Goose. In Austria there is a special goose season I believe. Had one of the richest meals of my life on a cold November night in Vienna.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

MattW said:

ydoethur said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

If so, that's unusual.

Yes, that was a sharp deviation. Or was it?
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,946
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Basingstoke is one big council estate surrounding a concrete jungle of shopping centres - with a few new-ish blocks of expensive box-room flats next to the station. And roundabouts. Lots and lots of roundabouts.
    Old Basing is quite nice, though. Decent pub.
  • Options

Forgive my ignorance, but can there be a class action for a defence?
    I did see on twitter (albeit from a MAGA account) that Trump had effectively drafted these citizens and they carrying out the lawful orders of their Commander-in-Chief.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    Gaussian said:

RobD said:

What's the rate of discharge here ? People can convelesce in their own homes, no not in care homes but everyone admitted for Covid will need to spend at least some time inside a hospital.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Pub? Not Pubs? Doesn't sound that nice to me...
  • Options
    Had an email from work, Uber are doing free £15 rides to/from vaccine centres for people who don't have access to private transportation in case anyone needs a way to get there and back.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Not quite sure what the issue is supposed to be here? Should he not get his boys out for some fresh air and exercise?
    There is none...and yet he gets a second negative piece with photos splashed in the papers, when he just out being a dad for a day.

And then we wonder why our MPs are piss poor quality. How many successful people would want to have this level of exposure, for less money.
    I love the way the Mail manages to follow “140 being vaccinated a minute” with “however 1 patient is being admitted to hospital every 30 seconds putting the NHS under pressure”

Clever playing with words to make the hospitalisation rate seem worse than the vaccination rate
  • Options
    MattW said:

I like the National Anthem, and Jerusalem.

I enjoy Rule Britannia, and the Sailor's Hornpipe.

I love Land of Hope & Glory.

I am touched by I Vow To Thee, My Country.

I am deeply moved by Nimrod.

I am neutral on Abide With Me.

I think Vindaloo is silly, unless you're pissed and at the football.

Bohemian Rhapsody would be awesome as a national awesome.
    Every country should have a national awesome.
    TSE really going to stand saluting for nearly 6 minutes?

Hmmm.
    He’d have to if he was Argentinian.*

*OK, it’s only 4 and a bit minutes, but it’s still ridiculously long as well as extraordinarily pompous, even by the standards of national anthems.

https://youtu.be/yqBC3l7i7dk
  • Options
    eristdoof said:

RobD said:

That’s a bloody second derivative - a plot of the rate of change of the rate of change. To say it’s misleading for a general audience would be something of an understatement.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Gaussian said:

RobD said:

What's the rate of discharge here ? People can convelesce in their own homes, no not in care homes but everyone admitted for Covid will need to spend at least some time inside a hospital.
    The funnel looks close to equilibrium at the moment, if the current drop off in admissions holds then it will turn negative this time next week I think.
  • Options
    eristdoof said:

The Russian one is so good the Village People and Pet Shop Boys covered it.
    Neil Tennant (who looks slightly like Alastair Meeks) is obsessed with Russian history and politics.

Weirdly, he also talks like he sings too.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,435
    Sandpit said:

eristdoof said:

RobD said:

That’s a bloody second derivative - a plot of the rate of change of the rate of change. To say it’s misleading for a general audience would be something of an understatement.
    Winning here......
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Omnium said:

MattW said:

ydoethur said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

If so, that's unusual.

Also love Goose. In Austria there is a special goose season I believe. Had one of the richest meals of my life on a cold November night in Vienna.
    Well lets hope @MattW responds and tells us that he's supplying his geese to Tescos.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,797
    edited January 2021

I beleive someone tried defending themselves for recklessly firing a firearm on the grounds that Biden told people to do it in the situation he found himself in, not sure if it proved successful. Not sure it will work for this chap.

Trump was probably smart in his own mind for saying people should march on congress as someone 'had to do something' about the stolen election. Totally fine.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

All I said was that I found our Falklands dominion "a bit odd". The frothing was a big surprise to me. Lessons learnt.
    What's the argument for the Falklands remaining under British control?
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Omnium said:

MattW said:

ydoethur said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

If so, that's unusual.

Talk to me, Goose.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,801
    edited January 2021
    MattW said:

ydoethur said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

If so, that's unusual.

Good indeed. I live in sheep country so am very aware of the livestock issue. I've had to find the farmer after a sheep after it had run through a barbed wire fence in its terror in being chased/worried (not a setter though) - fortunately it was in good nick even so.

My late mum (who was up there with Mrs Woodhouse in her affinity with dogs, but also views on discipline) had a series of Irish Setters (same breed actually - I think Red is the US name). The lastd one was scatterbrained and was anyone's for a walk. But when my demented great grandpa got up at 3 am in the morning and proposed to go out in his pyjamas etc. the dog uncharacteristically had the nous to instead bark and howl till my parents got up and investigated.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

rcs1000 said:

Fauci said yesterday that the US was weeks away from approving both the AstraZeneca and Johnson & Johnson vaccines.

Which implies that the J&J mass trial data is good. (And presumably also that AZ has done a reasonable job of getting the required data to the FDA.)

Let’s all hope the J&J data is good. Having one that doesn’t need a booster shot helps the logistics enormously.
    I'm really hoping we'll get human trial results on nasal application of the AZ vaccine too, because in monkeys it dramatically increased its effectiveness (to 95+%).
    It’s weird though because FluMist isn’t great and that comes from MedImmune (AZ’s intranasal platform that I bought for them back when I was young)
  • Options

kinabalu said:

In their 2013 referendum 99.8% of voters on a 92% turnout voted to remain an overseas territory of the UK.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2013_Falkland_Islands_sovereignty_referendum
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,969

kinabalu said:

That's what they want.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Yes, there’s some lovely villages around that area, many of which got subsumed into the town over the years. I think I frequented every pub up the A30 from Basingstoke to Bagshot during my mis-spent youth. :smile:
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,801

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:
    Rather obvious problem with that. The question didn't say WHICH the anthem is. Not something one can count on folk knowing. Jerusalem, for instance?
    Even a plurality of Scots like it, I highly doubt that would be the case if they thought it was Jerusalem rather than GSTQ
    What is the Scottish figure for love/like v. hate/dislike as a matter of interest? The weasel word 'plurality' makes me suspicious.
    Did we ever find out from HYUFD?
This discussion has been closed.