Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The betting moves further and further away from Trump – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518

Scott_xP said:
    Obviously a calm and sober speech in which he will tell his supporters to back down, and wish Biden good luck, promising to affect a high quality transition.
    Maybe he's going to order the DOJ to arrest Biden.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,288
    PA batch of 4,000 just posted which Trump actually won very marginally.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

MrEd said:

MrEd said:

TimT said:

MrEd said:

FPT

@rcs1000 re what you said.

First, I'm not as convinced as you that AZ is in the bag for Biden. I know you predict 3-4% but he is less than 2% up.

Second, re GA, it will depend on the margin. For it to be uncontestable, I think Biden would have to win by at least 10K and even then I think the Republicans would find ways to disqualify some votes (I'm working on the premise they are going to do everything they can to not declare Biden the winner).

If Biden wins the election comfortably elsewhere - say PA - what stomach do you think the State GOP in GA will have to all that? Serious question, I'd like to know what you think.
    My thinking is this and I am sure many will disagree.

I suspect the Trump strategy is to get as close to 270 as they can so that the outcome of the election essentially becomes about one state being flipped on a legal ruling.

They seem to think NC is theirs (many on here disagree but no one in the Biden camp seems to be aggressively pushing NC as a win or that Cunningham has won the Senate). That gets them to 232.

Key will be Arizona. If they win AZ - a big if but it's possible - they get to 243.

If GA awards its electors to Trump, he is at 259. I agree it's a high risk strategy but if it is coming down to a few hundred votes a la Florida in 2000, they might be tempted to try it.

At that point, Trump is 11 away from 270 i.e if he can get a favourable ruling on either PA (where there is a SC case sitting) or MI (where the Supreme Court is Republican), then it

One thing to note - even though Trump has been banging on about vote fraud in his tweets, none of his usual critics in the Republican party such as Ben Nasse or even the likes of Susan Collins have called for him to tone it down and said he is fundamentally wrong. Put bluntly - and I had mentioned in a post pre-election - there is a large part of the Republican party establishment who truly believe that VBM was an attempt by the Democrats to steal the election, and not just your pro-Trump types.

I think you are right on their intent but they are not close enough to pull it off.

They would not just be stealing an election but American democracy itself, Trump would be leader for life if this happens.
    I know they are ringing round lawyers at the moment to head up the court battles so they are deadly serious.

As I said, I think this is why Arizona becomes so important. I’m out on a limb here but I don’t think it’s not insurmountable for Trump and the NYT had a good piece explaining why there is a chance he takes it. If he does win there, then I think Georgia will “find” the extra votes and / or disqualify some to call it for Trump (and put Purdue in the Senate). You are then in striking range.

Arizona really is key now.
    Once Pennsylvania has been called, and the networks call the race (which they will), then I can't see the Republican establishment (who've never really liked Trump) sticking with him.

At that point you get Lindsay Graham and Mitch McConnell (who's going to quite like being the most important Republican in America) calling for Trump to go. You've already seen the Republican Governor elect of Utah going down that path. Trump is a large part of the Republican Party, but he's not all of it.
    The Republican establishment have always despised Trump, Barbara Bush apparently had a clock in her room counting down the hours until the end of his term and could not understand how any woman could vote for him, her husband reportedly voted for Hillary in 2016, his first ever vote for a Democrat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CxH2iHVWUg

Cindy McCain has endorsed Biden, Romney voted to impeach Trump. I think Bob Dole is the only GOP nominee alive who does not loathe the man
    They are no longer the Republican establishment.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,999

Scott_xP said:
    Obviously a calm and sober speech in which he will tell his supporters to back down, and wish Biden good luck, promising to affect a high quality transition.
    Statesmanlike, gracious, presidential.
  • Options
    Uh oh, Trump to speak
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,001
    dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

MrEd said:

MrEd said:

TimT said:

MrEd said:

FPT

First, I'm not as convinced as you that AZ is in the bag for Biden. I know you predict 3-4% but he is less than 2% up.

Second, re GA, it will depend on the margin. For it to be uncontestable, I think Biden would have to win by at least 10K and even then I think the Republicans would find ways to disqualify some votes (I'm working on the premise they are going to do everything they can to not declare Biden the winner).

If Biden wins the election comfortably elsewhere - say PA - what stomach do you think the State GOP in GA will have to all that? Serious question, I'd like to know what you think.

I suspect the Trump strategy is to get as close to 270 as they can so that the outcome of the election essentially becomes about one state being flipped on a legal ruling.

They seem to think NC is theirs (many on here disagree but no one in the Biden camp seems to be aggressively pushing NC as a win or that Cunningham has won the Senate). That gets them to 232.

Key will be Arizona. If they win AZ - a big if but it's possible - they get to 243.

If GA awards its electors to Trump, he is at 259. I agree it's a high risk strategy but if it is coming down to a few hundred votes a la Florida in 2000, they might be tempted to try it.

At that point, Trump is 11 away from 270 i.e if he can get a favourable ruling on either PA (where there is a SC case sitting) or MI (where the Supreme Court is Republican), then it

One thing to note - even though Trump has been banging on about vote fraud in his tweets, none of his usual critics in the Republican party such as Ben Nasse or even the likes of Susan Collins have called for him to tone it down and said he is fundamentally wrong. Put bluntly - and I had mentioned in a post pre-election - there is a large part of the Republican party establishment who truly believe that VBM was an attempt by the Democrats to steal the election, and not just your pro-Trump types.

I think you are right on their intent but they are not close enough to pull it off.

They would not just be stealing an election but American democracy itself, Trump would be leader for life if this happens.
    I know they are ringing round lawyers at the moment to head up the court battles so they are deadly serious.

As I said, I think this is why Arizona becomes so important. I’m out on a limb here but I don’t think it’s not insurmountable for Trump and the NYT had a good piece explaining why there is a chance he takes it. If he does win there, then I think Georgia will “find” the extra votes and / or disqualify some to call it for Trump (and put Purdue in the Senate). You are then in striking range.

Once Pennsylvania has been called, and the networks call the race (which they will), then I can't see the Republican establishment (who've never really liked Trump) sticking with him.

At that point you get Lindsay Graham and Mitch McConnell (who's going to quite like being the most important Republican in America) calling for Trump to go. You've already seen the Republican Governor elect of Utah going down that path. Trump is a large part of the Republican Party, but he's not all of it.
    The Republican establishment have always despised Trump, Barbara Bush apparently had a clock in her room counting down the hours until the end of his term and could not understand how any woman could vote for him, her husband reportedly voted for Hillary in 2016, his first ever vote for a Democrat.

Cindy McCain has endorsed Biden, Romney voted to impeach Trump. I think Bob Dole is the only GOP nominee alive who does not loathe the man
    He's just too polite to say so.
    He's 97. He may not know that Trump is President.
  • Options
    alex_ said:

Scott_xP said:
    Maybe he's going to order the DOJ to arrest Biden.
    Is that before or after he seizes the television stations and declares a state of emergency to deal with all the fake votes?
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,288
    Now a huge PA report:

Biden 21,000
    Trump 10,000
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:
    Lol. Sack a load of his own appointments so Biden doesn't have to ;)
  • Options

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

MrEd said:

MrEd said:

TimT said:

MrEd said:

FPT

They are no longer the Republican establishment.
    There are plenty of Republican Senators who loathe Trump. Ben Sasse in Nebraska castigated him on a call with constituents, Mitt Romney does not hide his disdain, and does anyone believe Lindsey Graham's conversion is genuine?
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,626

Nigelb said:

They've had them for a while, this is merely an update.

But read this thread, it'll inform you a lot.

twitter.com/Ike_Saul/status/1324435797374808066

Great thread. I particularly enjoyed number 30:

https://twitter.com/MattCartoonist/status/1324421573537865734

"Michelle Malkin, the conservative pundit who has been exiled from some Trump circles for her fringe views..."
    What, a critique of the President’s hairstyle ?
    Yes, she said he should go out with a bang.
    That sounds... permanent.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,008
    edited November 2020
    rcs1000 said:

dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

MrEd said:

MrEd said:

TimT said:

MrEd said:

FPT

He's just too polite to say so.
    He's 97. He may not know that Trump is President.
    He does, he was the only living former Republican President or nominee at Trump's 2016 convention

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wDh8J_3v4c
  • Options
    MikeL said:

Now a huge PA report:

Biden 21,000
    Trump 10,000

67.7% – slightly under par?
  • Options
    You have to wonder whether at some stage George W Bush will give a view?
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,282
    Pa down to +78k
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,674
    MikeL said:

Now a huge PA report:

Biden 21,000
    Trump 10,000

Some more details or a link would be helpful Mike
  • Options

I expect he is just loving the fact he is no longer the worst Republican President ever
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,862

MikeL said:

Now a huge PA report:

Biden 21,000
    Trump 10,000

What does he need for Par?
  • Options

MikeL said:

Now a huge PA report:

Biden 21,000
    Trump 10,000

Not anymore - he only needs 57-58% of the remaining now.
  • Options
    alex_ said:

The PA Secretary of State is very impressive.

A lot of theoretically pretty low level US politicians put most of even our best politicians these days to shame. It's reassuring in a way that there is always scope for US politics to regenerate if only somebody somewhere can break the cycle of polarisation and culture wars.

It is one of the plusses of a federal system. There are alternative sources of political power not controlled by the centre. But all the parties here seem to want to centralise and homogenise the country.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:
    If ever anyone again suggests politically appointing the Supreme Court here, can we just play that clip?
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:
    An interesting idea of how courts work
  • Options
    MrEdMrEd Posts: 5,578

MrEd said:

MrEd said:

TimT said:

MrEd said:

FPT

If it happened and they pull the coup detat off successfully do you agree its Trump for life?
    No, I think they will view it as being like Florida in 2000. After a while people settle down. As long as there are enough grey areas (was Georgia really 2.000 or 3.000 ahead, were all the mail ballots properly received etc), I don’t think it will ignite the Revolution people think it will. That’s especially the case after this election where the House election seem to suggest people are tiring of things such as BLM and progressive values, and Its clear there is not one big happy People of Colour family supporting the Democrats.

• Options

MikeL said:

Now a huge PA report:

Biden 21,000
    Trump 10,000

What does he need for Par?
    Dunno :D
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,970
    edited November 2020
    Scary thought. AOC could win the 2068 election.
    She'd be a little over one year older then than Joe Biden is now.
  • Options
    MrEd said:

MrEd said:

MrEd said:

TimT said:

MrEd said:

FPT

If it happened and they pull the coup detat off successfully do you agree its Trump for life?
    No, I think they will view it as being like Florida in 2000. After a while people settle down. As long as there are enough grey areas (was Georgia really 2.000 or 3.000 ahead, were all the mail ballots properly received etc), I don’t think it will ignite the Revolution people think it will. That’s especially the case after this election where the House election seem to suggest people are tiring of things such as BLM and progressive values, and Its clear there is not one big happy People of Colour family supporting the Democrats.

You're funny
  • Options

Scott_xP said:
    If ever anyone again suggests politically appointing the Supreme Court here, can we just play that clip?
    I think they are living in cloud cuckoo land if they think a serious legal scholar like ACB thinks transactionally and feels they "owe Trump one".

• Options
    alex_ said:

Scott_xP said:
    Lol. Sack a load of his own appointments so Biden doesn't have to ;)
    Clearing the desk for the new guy.
  • Options

Alistair said:

The sad thing about all of this is on Tuesday night I could have gone to bed, slept for 9 hours, taken my daughter to school THEN checked the news I would have made considerably more money than I will do.

Arrhhh you seem you have suffered the fate I had when betting on the last Ryder cup....
    I followed a similar path, though somewhat mitigated by my hedges.
    If I’d slept for 12 hours I’d have done a great deal better.
    (Though worse on state betting.)
  • Options
    QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,949
    Betfair market on Biden's popular vote share. 52%-54.99% is 6/5-2/1. But with mail ballots yet to count in a bunch of non-close states and California with millions yet to come isn't 52-55% very likely?
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Scott_xP said:
    I think they are living in cloud cuckoo land if they think a serious legal scholar like ACB thinks transactionally and feels they "owe Trump one".

Oh absolutely, but to even suggest it means that process is broken.
  • Options
    Current % margins on CNN at 23.00 GMT:
    Arizona Biden +2.4
    Georgia Trump +0.2
    Nevada Biden +0.9
    North Carolina Trump +1.4
    Pennsylvania Trump +1.2
    US Popular Vote Biden +2.7
  • Options
    Presidents advisor briefs we need an "Act of God"
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

Alistair said:

The sad thing about all of this is on Tuesday night I could have gone to bed, slept for 9 hours, taken my daughter to school THEN checked the news I would have made considerably more money than I will do.

Arrhhh you seem you have suffered the fate I had when betting on the last Ryder cup....
    The big regret is that my postal vote analysis I did yesterday morning had me backing Dems in PA when it was at 3.85. I'd so banjoed my other positins though I had almost no money to get on it.
  • Options
    MrEd said:

MrEd said:

MrEd said:

TimT said:

MrEd said:

FPT

Florida was continuing the status quo.

This would be overturning it.

That's a massive difference.
  • Options
    Trump adviser: "Math is not on our side. We need an Act of God."
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

I think you’ll find most PB’ers can cope with the worry
  • Options

Those Angels from Africa and South America are sure taking their time.
  • Options
  • Options
    Georgia gap £9k
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,674
    Quincel said:

Betfair market on Biden's popular vote share. 52%-54.99% is 6/5-2/1. But with mail ballots yet to count in a bunch of non-close states and California with millions yet to come isn't 52-55% very likely?

Don't forget the Lib and Green votes
  • Options
    MrEd said:

MrEd said:

MrEd said:

TimT said:

MrEd said:

FPT

A truly sinister post.

• Options
    HYUFD said:

I expect he is just loving the fact he is no longer the worst Republican President ever
    What one might call May Syndrome
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

I have the impression, albeit only from great distance, that Boris held off on Lockdown 2 so long partly because there was some optimism the Tiers system was reducing cases in the worst-hit areas. Will be fascinating to see the ONS survey numbers tomorrow and see if they show slowed growth too.

In practice the capacity warning was probably inevitable because the Tiers had generally not been used to try to force R below 1 - action was being taken only when infection/hospitalisation rates were deemed unacceptably high rather than when they were growing at all. You can't have that happen very long before medium-range capacity forecasting models start flashing red, because growth is assumed to continue up quickly and the policy lag for an intervention like lockdown is so slow, so the warning "lockdown now or else" comes surprisingly early. In this case, too early to fully evaluate the Tier system...

Or maybe it just suddenly dawned on them that to save Xmas they’d have to lock us down for a month or so before. The same thought that dawned on Labour a few weeks earlier.
    Plausible but I have my doubts. Xmas maybe played a part, but I really can't see how the Health Secretary could have handled questions in the Commons about why his gvt was committed to a policy that internal planning documents showed would lead to people being turned away from hospitals by Dec. The presentation the PM was given that triggered the big U-turn was very much focused on the capacity issue. Up til that point there had been some grounds for thinking the Tiers were "working" (in some sense) to tackle the worst-hit areas, and indeed this may still turn out to be the case. The gvt weren't told "you must lockdown by this time to prevent additional restrictions at Xmas" but rather "to prevent even the Nightingales overflowing". The fact this argument proved successful on them does seem indicative of which rocks the gvt draws the line at avoiding in their course betwen Scylla and Charybdis.
  • Options
    It seems to me that Biden has won a lot of votes, whilst still running to the left of Hilary, the Overton window is shifting very slowly.

IMHO, a winning left/centre-left party in 2024 is considerably to the left of Blairism 1997. Something like a 2017-lite seems about right, intuitively.
  • Options
    YokesYokes Posts: 1,202

GWB has already given a view. He does not like Trump and it didn't take much reading between the lines in some of his words in the last few years.

I said this the other night but its worth repeating, there is always talk of the black vote, the Latino vote. What has sent Biden over the top is the average white vote.
  • Options
    https://twitter.com/benrileysmith/status/1324487432574803970

Genuinely think this is a possibility and would be something of a victory.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,650

kle4 said:

President Biden is going to have a hell of a job on his hands making America whole again.

He's going to do more than that. He's going to MAAA (Make America America Again).

But seriously, given how Trump did surprise on the upside in several areas and groups of voters, not sure how Biden even attempts that. Many on his side won't want to be conciliatory, many on the other side won't respond even if he tries. They actively fear one another now, or at least too many do.
    That assumes they are two irreconcilable tribes. But they aren't, they are currently polarised, with a hard core of irreconcilable tribes in each camp. Biden is better placed than almost anyone else to reach out to the sane Romney-style Republicans to try to dial down the lunatic lurch into metaphoric - and perhaps even literal - civil war.
    Worth noting that with Biden gaining with blue collar whites, and Trump gaining with Blacks and Hispanics, perhaps Americans are not quite as irreconcilable as sometimes appears.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

MrEd said:

rcs1000 said:

MrEd said:

MrEd said:

TimT said:

MrEd said:

FPT

He’s not all of it but, as mentioned before, there is a large part of the Republican establishment who believe genuinely the VBM was a ploy to still the election hence the rush to get ACB on the court. PA has been in the SC already once and that was pre-election. It is primed up for another legal challenge.

As I said, a large chunk of the Rep establishment is keeping silent even though this would be the right moment to strike. Part of that is undoubtedly political in not wanting to p1ss the base off but there are other factors are play. None of them really wants to come out of publicly and sign up to the “votes stolen” line because it would be used against them down the line but there are many who think that way. And they are definitely not Trumpsters.
    If there were different electoral performances in states with lots of VMB and no VBM, then that would be indicative of cheating. But the reality is that in almost every state (except Florida, where there were plenty of mail ballots that weren't delivered in time, but lets not go there) the vote change is the same: Dems +3-4%, Reps +0-1%.

In any case, if you seriously wanted to weed out cheating (and you'd have though that REPUBLICAN Georgia might), then you very simply do a random sample of 1,000 mail votes, and go manually check.

That that is not being proposed tells me that the Republicans don't really believe that there's any cheating.
    I think Republican Georgia is waiting to see what they can get away with. If a legitimate victory, great. If not, expect challenges and what you said. The SOS made it clear he only considers “legal” votes to count. Not all votes.

It may be at some point that the Republicans go enough is enough but it doesn’t appear they are here now.
  • Options

Before that they need an s
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    That 68%er was from a solid red county.

Oh my.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,650
    Scott_xP said:
    Popcorn time in UK at 2330?

🍿🍿🍿😅
  • Options
    Just for the doubtful., Biden is running well ahead of Clinton's percentage performances by County in PA.

• Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,649
    PA: 78,316 lead.
  • Options
    CNN breaking: Erie County has flipped.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    Enthralling isn't it ?
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,954
  • Options

It seems to me that Biden has won a lot of votes, whilst still running to the left of Hilary, the Overton window is shifting very slowly.

IMHO, a winning left/centre-left party in 2024 is considerably to the left of Blairism 1997. Something like a 2017-lite seems about right, intuitively.

Biden is not to the left of Clinton at all.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    ..........Clinging to office with a tenacity that would make a leech blush

• Options
    If mail-ins had been done first this would have been called for Biden on election night likely over 270 and it would have been a decisive victory already.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,419

IanB2 said:

I have the impression, albeit only from great distance, that Boris held off on Lockdown 2 so long partly because there was some optimism the Tiers system was reducing cases in the worst-hit areas. Will be fascinating to see the ONS survey numbers tomorrow and see if they show slowed growth too.

In practice the capacity warning was probably inevitable because the Tiers had generally not been used to try to force R below 1 - action was being taken only when infection/hospitalisation rates were deemed unacceptably high rather than when they were growing at all. You can't have that happen very long before medium-range capacity forecasting models start flashing red, because growth is assumed to continue up quickly and the policy lag for an intervention like lockdown is so slow, so the warning "lockdown now or else" comes surprisingly early. In this case, too early to fully evaluate the Tier system...

Or maybe it just suddenly dawned on them that to save Xmas they’d have to lock us down for a month or so before. The same thought that dawned on Labour a few weeks earlier.
    Plausible but I have my doubts. Xmas maybe played a part, but I really can't see how the Health Secretary could have handled questions in the Commons about why his gvt was committed to a policy that internal planning documents showed would lead to people being turned away from hospitals by Dec. The presentation the PM was given that triggered the big U-turn was very much focused on the capacity issue. Up til that point there had been some grounds for thinking the Tiers were "working" (in some sense) to tackle the worst-hit areas, and indeed this may still turn out to be the case. The gvt weren't told "you must lockdown by this time to prevent additional restrictions at Xmas" but rather "to prevent even the Nightingales overflowing". The fact this argument proved successful on them does seem indicative of which rocks the gvt draws the line at avoiding in their course betwen Scylla and Charybdis.

IanB2 said:

The Tiers system was introduced 3 weeks ago

Given the lag in hospitalisations etc, we should expect the any effects to begin appearing at the right hand end of the graph....
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Before that they need an s
    Absent that act of god, will they finally accept he’s not on their side....
  • Options

MrEd said:

MrEd said:

MrEd said:

TimT said:

MrEd said:

FPT

A truly sinister post.

I truly think that is what their thinking is at. They will be looking at what happened in FL in. 2000, looking at the House results now and thinking that they can get away with this.

That would be an absolute disaster for everyone but that looks like their intention
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Er. Not quite!
  • Options
    Mal557Mal557 Posts: 662
    Nigelb said:

alex_ said:

MrEd said:

MrEd said:

TimT said:

MrEd said:

FPT

Are you forecasting a Trump win in Arizona?
    So Trump is going to win Arizona, cheat in Georgia, and then win the Presidency by winning court cases accusing the Democrats of cheating in Pennsylvania?
    Well, he’d like to.
    The most amazing thing about his plan is I think he thought it all up by himself! Though the winning and cheating bits were always interchangeable..
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited November 2020
    alex_ said:

Georgia gap £9k

Wow, that's a big bet on just one state.
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    rcs1000 said:

MrEd said:

MrEd said:

MrEd said:

TimT said:

MrEd said:

FPT

Florida was, and still is to this day, massively controversial in any event - and turned on under a thousand votes.
    One of the Republicans most experienced election lawyers was interviewed this morning and said he’d never seen in his thirty year career a margin of more than a thousand votes overturned.

Mr E is suggesting that might happen more than once over the next week. It’s fantasy.
  • Options
    Quincel said:

Could he go higher?
  • Options
    MrEd said:

rcs1000 said:

MrEd said:

rcs1000 said:

MrEd said:

MrEd said:

TimT said:

MrEd said:

FPT

He’s not all of it but, as mentioned before, there is a large part of the Republican establishment who believe genuinely the VBM was a ploy to still the election hence the rush to get ACB on the court. PA has been in the SC already once and that was pre-election. It is primed up for another legal challenge.

As I said, a large chunk of the Rep establishment is keeping silent even though this would be the right moment to strike. Part of that is undoubtedly political in not wanting to p1ss the base off but there are other factors are play. None of them really wants to come out of publicly and sign up to the “votes stolen” line because it would be used against them down the line but there are many who think that way. And they are definitely not Trumpsters.
    If there were different electoral performances in states with lots of VMB and no VBM, then that would be indicative of cheating. But the reality is that in almost every state (except Florida, where there were plenty of mail ballots that weren't delivered in time, but lets not go there) the vote change is the same: Dems +3-4%, Reps +0-1%.

In any case, if you seriously wanted to weed out cheating (and you'd have though that REPUBLICAN Georgia might), then you very simply do a random sample of 1,000 mail votes, and go manually check.

That that is not being proposed tells me that the Republicans don't really believe that there's any cheating.
    I think Republican Georgia is waiting to see what they can get away with. If a legitimate victory, great. If not, expect challenges and what you said. The SOS made it clear he only considers “legal” votes to count. Not all votes.

It may be at some point that the Republicans go enough is enough but it doesn’t appear they are here now.
    Politicians (and probably people in general) tend to leave it way too late before telling their leader "enough is enough". Think about Corbyn. Or Thatcher. Who in their right mind wants to be the first to stick the boot in? Much more prudent to let someone else take that bullet.
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    Yokes said:

He is more of a tax and spend Democrat than the Clintons were and closer to the unions, he is not as left as Sanders was but Biden will clearly shift the US left economically, though the GOP Senate will limit how far he and Pelosi and Harris can go. After all Biden is a friend of Neil Kinnock and even plagiarised one of his speeches
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Enthralling isn't it ?

This is brilliant.

Pennsylvania is going to deliver the final blow.

At first gradually.

And then suddenly.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,770
    rcs1000 said:

Scott_xP said:

He will be going on about lack of gratitude for years.
  • Options
    MrEd said:

rcs1000 said:

MrEd said:

rcs1000 said:

MrEd said:

MrEd said:

TimT said:

MrEd said:

FPT

You're missing my point.

It's very easy to check the validity of a VMB system, especially the way that this works with the signature sheets.

Anyone with a basic understanding of statistics could do it in three days, with 10 people, and a sample of 1,000 voters.

This is about getting this right. Right doesn't mean your side winning. Right means the system working as it's supposed to.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,970

Seems a decent test of whether the Big Guy reciprocates the adoration.
  • Options
    LOL. Conway says Trump will accuse the pollsters of voter suppression by making Rep voters think it wasn’t worth bothering.

In the highest turnout election ever.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:
    I suspect the poll worker with a Biden Harris mask is a total lie too
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Yokes said:

He is more of a tax and spend Democrat than the Clintons were and closer to the unions, he is not as left as Sanders was but Biden will clearly shift the US left economically, though the GOP Senate will limit how far he and Pelosi and Harris can go. After all Biden is a friend of Kinnock and even plagiarised one of his speeches
    I doubt that he will shift it that much beyond what any middle of the road Democrat will do.
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    alex_ said:

Quincel said:

Could he go higher?
    I reckon the ceiling on Biden's margin on Trump is 4-5% so I suppose its doable.
  • Options
    Mal557Mal557 Posts: 662
    Isn't Trump going through the 5 stages of Grief and Loss?
    1. Denial and Isolation, 'we won, stop the count' and bunkering down
    2. Anger , hes there now (though he might be at this stage for a long time) then
    3. Bargaining,,,,perhaps saying to Biden , how about you let me be president and I'll let you sleep with Melania
    4. Depression (this is the bit where you keep him away from those important buttons) and finally
    5.Acceptance.....(yes I know he's never going to get to this stage but as its part of the 5 stage process I had to add it)
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,954

This is brilliant.

At first gradually.

And then suddenly.

If Fox cut away from his speech to call PA...
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Seems a decent test of whether the Big Guy reciprocates the adoration.
    Well, those evangelicals promised that the Big Guy would reciprocate, so you can see why Trump would be a bit miffed if He doesn't actually deliver.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

MrEd said:

MrEd said:

MrEd said:

TimT said:

MrEd said:

FPT

Splitting it out.

The SC does not like to get involved in state counting. They consider it the job of the legislature. So, if GA was to go, “we think Trump has won the most legal votes”, there would need to be a fairly high bar for the SC to overturn this (this is why you get complications when courts override state legislatures - the rules prefer the latter). So I don’t think they would intervene unless GA did something that was so indefensible (and that is open to interpretation£

We already have a pending SC case around PA’s rules which split 4-4. That will certainly go back to the SC. I can’t see any of the 8 changing their minds so it will be down to ACB.

Personally, I think (a) it would be a disaster and (b) a disgrace if this is how it was decided but that is where it is looking at heading
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,079

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

The Tiers system was introduced 3 weeks ago.
    No.. "Tier 2" has effectively been in place for around 7-8 weeks in the North East and other places. We already know what the effect of that is.
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    Yokes said:

HYUFD said:

Yokes said:

He is more of a tax and spend Democrat than the Clintons were and closer to the unions, he is not as left as Sanders was but Biden will clearly shift the US left economically, though the GOP Senate will limit how far he and Pelosi and Harris can go. After all Biden is a friend of Kinnock and even plagiarised one of his speeches
    I doubt that he will shift it that much beyond what any middle of the road Democrat will do.
    I think we can say that if a Biden presidency is followed by a Starmer premiership and with the knock on effects of huge extra government spending required by Covid lockdowns, the Thatcher Reagan economic legacy will have come to an end on both sides of the Atlantic.

Starmer and Biden are both basically tax the rich and spend and regulate more social democrats
  • Options
    Yokes said:

Biden's platform is way more left wing. It had portions of Warren's and Sanders platform in there almost wholesale.
  • Options
    BluestBlueBluestBlue Posts: 4,556
    Well, you know what they say - in a democracy, it's your vote that counts, and in an aristocracy, it's your count that votes.
  • Options
    QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,949
    edited November 2020
    alex_ said:

Quincel said:

Could he go higher?
    That's a fair question, but he's at 50.5% at the moment and it feels like gaining 4.5% would be a lot. Even 1.5% might be tough, once you factor in the 3rd party votes (1.75% or so) Biden 55% would mean Trump 43.25% and a massive popular vote lead for Biden. Seems implausible to me, but we'll see.

I think 52% isn't locked in, even that is Trump 46.25% which is an almost 6% popular vote win. But...that's seems fairly plausible given the state results to me.

(Though if you think my numbers are wrong and 55% is possible...270/1 is on there now.)
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Yokes said:

Biden's platform is way more left wing. It had portions of Warren's and Sanders platform in there almost wholesale.
    And will they enact it? Remains to be seen.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Enthralling isn't it ?

This is brilliant.

At first gradually.

And then suddenly.
    No, due to the slowness of the count it will be really really gradual. All the way to a six figure margin.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,079
    Alistair said:

Yokes said:

Well he won't be able to implement any of it. :D
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:
    Its all falling apart now the king has lost his crown
  • Options
    OnboardG1OnboardG1 Posts: 1,282

Pulpstar said:

Enthralling isn't it ?

This is brilliant.

At first gradually.

And then suddenly.
    Philly county is still sitting on something like 80-90k votes (they can't count quickly because the trumpkins whined about the social distancing requirements and so they can only use tables <6ft from the observer lines). Plausible now that Philly alone could nearly or totally wipe out Trump's lead. That takes us down to somewhere like 150k votes remaining VBM. After that it's pure profit.
This discussion has been closed.