Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The betting moves further and further away from Trump – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    Andy_JS said:

Yokes said:

Anyone who remembers Bleasdales GBH, you are just watching a much bigger documentary version of that kind of rise and fall.

I remember watching the show. It was repeated on ITV4 or BBC4 a few years ago.
    I think it's on BritBox.
  • Options

Lol.

DICKHEAD DONALD :lol:
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,895

MikeL said:

GA lead closes by 6k.

Now 3,635.

Oh my.
    Thats probably Chatham as I said earlier Biden should be less than 1k down when all Chatham and Fulton come in
    Its just Chatham

Fulton still to come

Actually I think Biden might be almost 2k down after Fulton

Wins by 4k to 5k with other Counties
  • Options

The depressing thing is that half of America is going to lap this up.

Dunno. He looks and sounds like a dribbling loser.

This is no rallying cry.
    Written down, the words probably weren't that different to what Trump has always said. But all the oomph has gone. And without the oomph, you can see how pathetic the words are.

And the oomph, the leader-confidence, was part Trump's appeal, part of why people voted for him. I don't totally buy @isam's theory that the bigger personality wins, but it's a factor. And it's gone.

Sad.
  • Options
    Men in white coats needed.....House of Cards ain't got nothing on this.
  • Options
    The GOP infrastructure (senate leadership, fox news ect) are walking away from Trump.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

isam said:

alex_ said:

isam said:
    Better stop spending loads of money on cancer screening and early diagnosis work then.
    Why don’t they make it illegal for people to do things that make cancer more likely? Think of all the extra capacity at the NHS

Well, the smoking ban in pubs and restaurants was at least partially designed to reduce the incidence of giving cancer to other people...
    Banning tobacco advertising, banning sales to children, large warnings on packets....

I am not sure what point @isam is trying to make.
    There's a point @isam has made before, back in March I think, that if we're prepared to accept such enormous restrictions to our liberties to defeat Covid, why not take such radical action as banning smoking outright rather than fiddling around the edges with it? Estimates of smoking deaths are of the order of magnitude of 80k per year so it's not a daft question in terms of lives saved, though there's a big distinction in terms of who's accepting the risk (only a small fraction of smoking deaths are thought to be from passive smoking, so the smoker takes on most of the risk of their behaviour, whereas "let people judge their own risk" doesn't work so well with infectious disease where your reckless actions may well cause more harm to others)
  • Options
    Can somebody post that meme with the man holding his hands up, the army guy
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,533
    IanB2 said:

@kle4 posted a really interesting Tweet thread in the last discussion with someone debunking many of the voting fraud theories doing the rounds. Many of them were indeed debunked, though some of them were not.

One that wasn't satisfactorily debunked (in my opinion) was the story of a Philadelphia ballot dump that included no votes for Trump, but 23,000 odd for Biden. The 'debunk' was that a similar thing had happened to Romney in Philadelphia, and at the time, a media organisation had looked for *any* Romney supporters in that district, and found none. That doesn't convince me really, because whilst I understand there might be next to none, not finding any for a vox pop, is not the same as there not being any. It just isn't. In a sample size of 23,000, there is going to be at least one or two contrary fuckers voting for Trump (or Romney for that matter).

Another one, that isn't necessarily evidence of fraud per se, but is very interesting, is Twitter thread, then published on Zerohedge, noting the big divergence in key swing states between votes for Biden, and votes for the Democratic Senate candidates. For example, in Georgia, Biden got 95,000 more votes than the Dem candidate - Trump got 818 more than his candidate. Similar situation in Michigan. At the very least, it would be good to see these numbers for every State, and a good working hypothesis as to why this would be the case.

Here's the link for anyone curious - if you're not a fan of Zerohedge (I'm not) don't click: https://www.zerohedge.com/political/why-does-biden-have-so-many-more-votes-democrat-senators-swing-states

The Dem senate candidate wasn’t up against Trump.

In every UK multiple election, the number of people who complete their ballot for the “more important” election always exceeds those for the lower tier elections, many papers for which are left blank.
    I agree. However, I still think the phenomenon in this case is pronounced and singular enough to warrant further exploration - all the States. The original Tweeter hasn't done this, perhaps because all the States seen together weaken his argument, perhaps not.

There are huge questions surrounding postal voting - we've seen it all in Tower Hamlets etc., everyone who posts on PB knows this. I would agree that the time to be outraged about postal voting (combined with an aggressive - possibly bordering on dodgy GOTV operation) about it isn't when you find you're losing an election. However, that doesn't mean everything smells great in the garden.
  • Options

That reminded me of the time my eldest denied writing his name on the wall whilst holding the pen in his hand.

So how did he claim he held it? In his mouth?
    He went full Shaggy and repeatedly said 'It wasn't me'
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,424
    edited November 2020
    So far not one of the Fox anchors or the commentator has said a single thing in support of Trump’s diatribe

“no idea what evidence he could possibly present about all this”
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,088

IanB2 said:

@kle4 posted a really interesting Tweet thread in the last discussion with someone debunking many of the voting fraud theories doing the rounds. Many of them were indeed debunked, though some of them were not.

One that wasn't satisfactorily debunked (in my opinion) was the story of a Philadelphia ballot dump that included no votes for Trump, but 23,000 odd for Biden. The 'debunk' was that a similar thing had happened to Romney in Philadelphia, and at the time, a media organisation had looked for *any* Romney supporters in that district, and found none. That doesn't convince me really, because whilst I understand there might be next to none, not finding any for a vox pop, is not the same as there not being any. It just isn't. In a sample size of 23,000, there is going to be at least one or two contrary fuckers voting for Trump (or Romney for that matter).

Another one, that isn't necessarily evidence of fraud per se, but is very interesting, is Twitter thread, then published on Zerohedge, noting the big divergence in key swing states between votes for Biden, and votes for the Democratic Senate candidates. For example, in Georgia, Biden got 95,000 more votes than the Dem candidate - Trump got 818 more than his candidate. Similar situation in Michigan. At the very least, it would be good to see these numbers for every State, and a good working hypothesis as to why this would be the case.

Here's the link for anyone curious - if you're not a fan of Zerohedge (I'm not) don't click: https://www.zerohedge.com/political/why-does-biden-have-so-many-more-votes-democrat-senators-swing-states

In every UK multiple election, the number of people who complete their ballot for the “more important” election always exceeds those for the lower tier elections, many papers for which are left blank.
    I agree. However, I still think the phenomenon in this case is pronounced and singular enough to warrant further exploration - all the States. The original Tweeter hasn't done this, perhaps because all the States seen together weaken his argument, perhaps not.

There are huge questions surrounding postal voting - we've seen it all in Tower Hamlets etc., everyone who posts on PB knows this. I would agree that the time to be outraged about postal voting (combined with an aggressive - possibly bordering on dodgy GOTV operation) about it isn't when you find you're losing an election. However, that doesn't mean everything smells great in the garden.
    Such utter drivel. There are not "huge questions surrounding postal voting". That's just a lie.
  • Options
    Anderson Cooper just called Donald Trump an "obese turtle". LOL
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,806

Wasn’t it one of the Eastern European leaders who tweeted to congratulate Trump? Bet their Twitter team has been sacked...

President of Slovenia. Probably the Melania connection.
  • Options
    QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,949

Looks line Penn and Georgia will be going for Biden soon.

The fact the vote tallies are slipping to crossover during his speech is very Sorkin-esque.
  • Options
    "Flailing like an obese Turtle on his back knowing his days are done" CNN
  • Options
    Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 7,981
    edited November 2020
    "The President yapping at a microphone is not evidence"
    - ABC News

"Yapping" :D
  • Options
    GA lead down to 3,600.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

You're winning the PB award for drivel.
  • Options
    I gave him top much credit. Here was me thinking that behind the ideological nonsense he might be the sort to end it by conceding. He is on the ballot in his own right after all.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,148

Can somebody post that meme with the man holding his hands up, the army guy

Can't find it...
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,015
    I see he challenged Biden to say he wants legal votes counted. No need for Biden to play that game, but given Trump probably has no idea what makes a vote legal or not I think he'll be disappointed by what will happen if only legal ones are indeed counted.
  • Options
    kicorsekicorse Posts: 431
    kle4 said:

Lol.

What's funny about that? It's really shite. There are a lot of ways to rubbish Trump (and he gives plenty of ammo) using words that still maintain a veneer of neutrality. 'is yet to present evidence of how' says much the same thing but a bit better.
    I, too, prefer my news coverage to maintain such a veneer and so your suggestion might be better (though one might argue the 'yet' implies he has it, when he might not). However, it's not actually all that different so it's a pretty mild example when it comes to language since it's not in the least bit misleading or even pejorative. He hasn't got evidence and he is saying he's being cheated
    The BBC's summary at the end was exactly the right way of handling it, in my view. "These things are not true." Direct but not crass, nor an ad hominem attack.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,132

The depressing thing is that half of America is going to lap this up.

Dunno. He looks and sounds like a dribbling loser.

This is no rallying cry.
    Written down, the words probably weren't that different to what Trump has always said. But all the oomph has gone. And without the oomph, you can see how pathetic the words are.

And the oomph, the leader-confidence, was part Trump's appeal, part of why people voted for him. I don't totally buy @isam's theory that the bigger personality wins, but it's a factor. And it's gone.

Sad.
    I think he needs help. And I don't mean that in a flippant internet way. He looked very borderline.
  • Options
    I wonder why @Luckyguy1983 has never called for investigations into postal votes in Tory areas, is it because he's actually a hyper-partisan hack?
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,996
    edited November 2020
    Foxy said:

dixiedean said:

Said it before and will say it again. Although I shouldn't offer a sidewalk diagnosis.
    The man has Narcissistic Personality Disorder. It's an untreatable condition deserving of sympathy.
    He really is textbook.

It is pretty painful to watch a nervous breakdown in public.
    Indeed. The construct of his self-image has crumbled in 48 hours.
    He deserves sympathy.
    And the kind intervention of loving family and friends.
    If he has any.
  • Options

Foxy said:

isam said:

alex_ said:

isam said:
    Better stop spending loads of money on cancer screening and early diagnosis work then.
    Why don’t they make it illegal for people to do things that make cancer more likely? Think of all the extra capacity at the NHS

Well, the smoking ban in pubs and restaurants was at least partially designed to reduce the incidence of giving cancer to other people...
    Banning tobacco advertising, banning sales to children, large warnings on packets....

There's a point @isam has made before, back in March I think, that if we're prepared to accept such enormous restrictions to our liberties to defeat Covid, why not take such radical action as banning smoking outright rather than fiddling around the edges with it? Estimates of smoking deaths are of the order of magnitude of 80k per year so it's not a daft question in terms of lives saved, though there's a big distinction in terms of who's accepting the risk (only a small fraction of smoking deaths are thought to be from passive smoking, so the smoker takes on most of the risk of their behaviour, whereas "let people judge their own risk" doesn't work so well with infectious disease where your reckless actions may well cause more harm to others)
    I am happy to support a total tobacco ban.
  • Options
    I look forward to Trump's heartfelt apology when(if) his 'very strong evidence' turns out not be very strong after all, in the eyes of the courts.
  • Options
    This is the man with his finger on the button guys.

Time for the men in grey suits.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,424
    Obvious that what he said (and how) was so shocking that both Reps and Fox anchors don’t want to associate themselves with it. The best they can do is “let’s wait and see the evidence”
  • Options
    CNN Rick Santorum – "No Republican official will stand by Trump's statement. None of them."
  • Options
    Alex Jones must be pissed off, Trump TV is going to take his USP as being the madness frog in the box.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Foxy said:

dixiedean said:

Said it before and will say it again. Although I shouldn't offer a sidewalk diagnosis.
    The man has Narcissistic Personality Disorder. It's an untreatable condition deserving of sympathy.
    He really is textbook.

Indeed. They construct of his self-image has crumbled in 48 hours.
    He deserves sympathy.
    If he actually has any.
    Sympathy does not need to be instant, I think it can wait. And like redemption and self realisation, it may not be something everyone achieves.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

isam said:

alex_ said:

isam said:

Speaking as a life long non-smoker who hates the smell of fags, let’s not be setting any precedents that might affect my booze.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Foxy said:

dixiedean said:

He really is textbook.

He deserves sympathy.
    If he actually has any.
    Safety first. Keep him well away from the nuclear "football".
  • Options
    alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518
    There's a Republican on CNN who for the last few days who has been trying to put a brave face on Trump's antics, but he's completely given up now.
  • Options
    MrEdMrEd Posts: 5,578
    Couple of thoughts

(1) That’s a big shout by Pence. He’s put himself fully squared with Trump. Legal Votes vs All Votes is becoming the Black Lives Matter / All Lives Matter clash of this election

(2) As I said, this is going to the courts big time.

(3) Also, notice the states he mentioned most often (and what he omitted) - Michigan, Pennsylvania and Georgia. He didn’t really mention Wisconsin much even though he has a narrow margin.

So, the legal fight will be on those 3 streets.

(4) He looked absolutely knackered and went round in circles;

(5) If I was the tech sector or Wall Street, I’d be slightly nervous after that speech. There is a lot of damage he can do in the next few months if he decides to do so and some of it would be hard to reverse, especially if it was populist in nature
  • Options
    Georgia didn't even go blue under Obama
  • Options
    YokesYokes Posts: 1,203
    alex_ said:

CNN asking when senior Republicans are going to step in.

If Georgia gets added to NV AZ & PA, its beyond a controversy and senior GOP types know it. Thats your critical point, too big a win for them to really muddy it. The party has to cleanse the Trump family takeover even if it retains the populist nationalist stance.

Ant step in to put Trump on his heels will be based on simple statements accepting the democratic process. He is still in charge for a few months so its not like here where failure necessarily leads to bloodletting 24 hours later. They might go for the jugular but its just as likely they will just lower Trump gradually into the water

• Options

Wasn’t it one of the Eastern European leaders who tweeted to congratulate Trump? Bet their Twitter team has been sacked...

It did look as if it was going Trump's way for a while. There was plenty of backslapping amongst the Trafalgar fan club on here during the early hours of Wednesday morning.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,996
    The sad thing is "Hitler reacts to" videos have now become obsolete.
  • Options
  • Options

The GOP infrastructure (senate leadership, fox news ect) are walking away from Trump.

It's over.

It's all over.
  • Options

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

isam said:

alex_ said:

isam said:

Speaking as a life long non-smoker who hates the smell of fags, let’s not be setting any precedents that might affect my booze.
    Secondary drinking is not normally a thing unless your drinking problem is like this one:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVOUlNCJK2Y
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,292
    edited November 2020
    Boris might be crap and definitely the truth is not always spoken, but he is never going to do that.
  • Options

It did look as if it was going Trump's way for a while. There was plenty of backslapping amongst the Trafalgar fan club on here during the early hours of Wednesday morning.
    Oh absolutely, and I ruined some of my betting positions based on seeing results (despite, as many have said, being extensively briefed on the “red mirage”), but leaders of countries have an easy way out of saying anything until there’s a result.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,797
    HYUFD said:

Lol.

What's funny about that? It's really shite. There are a lot of ways to rubbish Trump (and he gives plenty of ammo) using words that still maintain a veneer of neutrality. 'is yet to present evidence of how' says much the same thing but a bit better.
    Agreed, CNN is now clearly the counterpoint to Fox for left liberals after that
    Seems like a straight factual headline to me.
    Suggesting that they rephrase it to lend some artificial dignity to a deeply undignified rant is absurd.
    Neutrality is not pretending that blatant untruths aren’t untruths.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,996
    edited November 2020
    kle4 said:

I think everyone hopes that when they lose they will be able to do so with dignity. It's one reason the winners are inclined to be gracious to the defeated, since it's what they'd want in that situation. But some just cannot manage it. That Trump was reduced to complaining about the polls right up was a bad sign for his dignity.

We have 4 years of proof on here that a lot of people can’t lose with dignity!

The Donald is holding a mirror to Remoaners
  • Options

Boris might be crap and definitely the truth is not always spoken, but he is never going to do that.

Yeah, I find it hard to believe he would refuse to concede.
  • Options

I wonder why @Luckyguy1983 has never called for investigations into postal votes in Tory areas, is it because he's actually a hyper-partisan hack?

Because I'm not aware of any allegations of postal voting fraud in those areas?

If there are allegations relating to Tory candidates, of course they should be investigated.

I'm not hyper partisan at all actually - I'm broadly 'right wing', pro-Britain, pro-Brexit, but if Corbyn, Sturgeon, Starmer, etc. say something I agree with or do something I admire, I say it.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,618
    Alistair said:

The sad thing about all of this is on Tuesday night I could have gone to bed, slept for 9 hours, taken my daughter to school THEN checked the news I would have made considerably more money than I will do.

Always the danger with in-play betting!
  • Options

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

isam said:

alex_ said:

isam said:

Secondary drinking is not normally a thing unless your drinking problem is like this one:
    I dunno. Ask my wife after I’ve been on the whisky or spent the day at the beer festival....
  • Options

If there are allegations relating to Tory candidates, of course they should be investigated.

I'm not hyper partisan at all actually - I'm broadly 'right wing', pro-Britain, pro-Brexit, but if Corbyn, Sturgeon, Starmer, etc. say something I agree with or do something I admire, I say it.
    No because you never bothered to look because it doesn't agree with your pathetic narrative. Boring, go away now please
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

Lol.

Suggesting that they rephrase it to lend some artificial dignity to a deeply undignified rant is absurd.
    CNN is not a neutral station though, and does not pretend to be.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Foxy said:

dixiedean said:

He really is textbook.

He deserves sympathy.
    If he actually has any.
    Ivanka Trump, I think.

The (older) sons are monsters. His wife hates him. His "friends" are in it for what they can get and laugh at him behind his back. His GOP "colleagues" including Pence have scuttled away.

I think there's genuine affection between him and his daughter (we'll skate over the somewhat creepy aspect of it). And she has to do it.
  • Options

The Slovenian President's tweet came in the aftermath of his "victory claim" a couple of days ago.
  • Options
    Any Act of God on the Horizon?
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    Maybe I shouldn't be, but I am shocked by Trump behaviour. I know he said all the stuff on the campaign trial, but I just presumed it was his usual billy bullshitting to the crowd to boost his turn out, and that then when we actually got to the election he would have a bit of a rant about the fake news media always being unfair and all the hate he got for no reason and then bugger off.

He is properly mentally unwell.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

isam said:

alex_ said:

isam said:

The equivalent to the Covid rules would be to make it illegal to smoke, even if only in the presence of people who don’t mind people smoking round them
  • Options
    isam said:

kle4 said:

I think everyone hopes that when they lose they will be able to do so with dignity. It's one reason the winners are inclined to be gracious to the defeated, since it's what they'd want in that situation. But some just cannot manage it. That Trump was reduced to complaining about the polls right up was a bad sign for his dignity.

That's why I said 'hopes'.
  • Options
    Mal557Mal557 Posts: 662
    The GOP will start to distance themselves from him, they will look at the fact they still hold the Senate, the fact they gained some House seats and the fact they don't have to deal with his ego anymore and probably think, all things considered , its not been a bad election after all.
  • Options

Oh absolutely, and I ruined some of my betting positions based on seeing results (despite, as many have said, being extensively briefed on the “red mirage”), but leaders of countries have an easy way out of saying anything until there’s a result.

Me too, but Spreadex saved my bacon by suspending their market. I think I may even make a modest profit on them.
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787
    MrEd said:
    DC correspondent for New York Magazine apparently.
  • Options

Maybe I shouldn't be, but I am shocked by Trump behaviour. I know he said all the stuff on the campaign trial, but I just presumed it was his usual billy bullshitting to the crowd to boost his turn out, and that then when we actually got to the election he would have a bit of a rant about the fake news media always being unfair and all the hate he got for no reason and then bugger off.

Something that has been repeatedly demonstrated in the last 4 years is that the picture Trump presents to the world, in all its chaos and confusion and ego, is the real him. The number of people who have worked for him and seemingly realised he is not some mad genius, or merely putting on a show, only after they started workign for him, is huge.
  • Options

It's over.

It's all over.
    Well, Fox News has been walking away for a bit. James Murdoch is definitely in the anti-Trump camp and Lachlan is more right wing but not as much as his Dad. Their concern will be their ratings if they walk away too quickly. Which is why I don’t think they will call Biden tonight.
  • Options
    alex_ said:

There's a Republican on CNN who for the last few days who has been trying to put a brave face on Trump's antics, but he's completely given up now.

Rick Santorum
  • Options

No because you never bothered to look because it doesn't agree with your pathetic narrative. Boring, go away now please
    I think it was you that tagged me in? But ok, rock on.
  • Options
    MrEd said:
    Sorry, who are you?
  • Options
    isam said:

kle4 said:

The Donald is holding a mirror to Remoaners
    Not sure the Leavers won with much dignity either, to be honest.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,068
    MrEd said:

It's over.

It's all over.
    Well, Fox News has been walking away for a bit. James Murdoch is definitely in the anti-Trump camp and Lachlan is more right wing but not as much as his Dad. Their concern will be their ratings if they walk away too quickly. Which is why I don’t think they will call Biden tonight.
    James Murdoch (who I used to know a bit) has stepped down from the Fox Board of Directors.
  • Options

(5) If I was the tech sector or Wall Street, I’d be slightly nervous after that speech. There is a lot of damage he can do in the next few months if he decides to do so and some of it would be hard to reverse, especially if it was populist in nature

Nasdaq jumped 8% since it became clear he'd lost.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,424
    MrEd said:

(2) As I said, this is going to the courts big time.

With the cases we've seen already that have been dismissed we've seen some failures because Trump hasn't had any evidence to present. Although I've been among those worried that he'd use the courts to steal a win, he needs something a bit more than, "throw out 100k of Biden's vote so that I can win."

In Texas they had a route to that with the drive-throughs, but I don't see that they have anything like that in PA or MI.
  • Options
    rpjs said:

MrEd said:
    DC correspondent for New York Magazine apparently.
    Do they have a Marvel one as well?
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Me too, but Spreadex saved my bacon by suspending their market. I think I may even make a modest profit on them.
    If we’d all just bet with no analysis beyond what Monday’s papers said and gone to bed at 10pm we’d be richer for it.
  • Options

He is properly mentally unwell.

Yes. He needs help.
  • Options
    Mal557 said:

The GOP will start to distance themselves from him, they will look at the fact they still hold the Senate, the fact they gained some House seats and the fact they don't have to deal with his ego anymore and probably think, all things considered , its not been a bad election after all.

They haven't won the Senate yet. But then that's even more reason to ditch him ASAP.
  • Options
    Well that was...something.

If even Rick Santorum is unwilling to defend you, then it is all over
  • Options
    MrEd said:

It's over.

It's all over.
    It's over.
  • Options
    edited November 2020

https://twitter.com/Jason_Keen/status/1324506743100051456

My problem with arguments like this, is it's like the BBC climate change arguments. The idea the BBC should have climate change deniers on because it "balances" the output. There is reality and there is not.

If somebody is a liar and a fraud they should be called out as such, you can't be objective when it comes to that kind of thing.

CNN have lost it during Trump presidency. Not just the inability for any balance, I understand calling out deliberate lies, but they literally lost the ability to report on anything but Trump tweeting some crap. If you just watch CNN most days you would have no idea anything else is going on in the world. And their hatred and bias has been caught out on a number of times, when they have jumped to report things that turned out not to be true. They just presume x must be correct, but Trump said something different.

They aren't as bad as Fox News, but at times it isn't far off. Don Lemon and Chris Cuomo aren't far off Hannity and Carlson, in terms of partisan and inaccuracy.
  • Options
    https://twitter.com/DaftLimmy/status/1324505147893075974?s=20

I'm also getting a Hitler's last political testament vibe.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

I lost on Florida cashed out on Biden just in time i thought but have won big in last few days on States (barring some shocking late turnaround)

Over 75m Biden and over 70m Trump too based on the EV Blog were highpoints
  • Options
    edited November 2020

Foxy said:

isam said:

alex_ said:

isam said:

Yes, we are supposed to lock ourselves indoors to protect the NHS, and made to feel guilty about possibly using NHS services that mean others miss out if we go out; why not do the same for smokers, or drinkers, or any other people who do things that might end them up in hospital? We are doing it now for Covid, the precedent is set
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,797

Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

Lol.

CNN is not a neutral station though, and does not pretend to be.
    I didn’t say it was. But criticising a straight headline, whoever published it, is just silly.
  • Options

My problem with arguments like this, is it's like the BBC climate change arguments. The idea the BBC should have climate change deniers on because it "balances" the output. There is reality and there is not.

If somebody is a liar and a fraud they should be called out as such, you can't be objective when it comes to that kind of thing.

CNN have lost it during Trump presidency. Not just the inability for any balance, but I understand calling out deliberate lies, but they literally lost the ability to report on anything but Trump tweeting some crap. If you just watch CNN most days you would have no idea anything else is going on in the world.
    Do you think in general though it's right for say the BBC to say what Trump said is untrue, or that they should try and be "impartial" and balance? I think there's truth and there's lies, the objective thing is to call out the lies.
  • Options

I'm in two minds. I do take the point about false balance, but very personally attacking and emotive reporting is not necessary. Where false statements are made even an outlet seeking to be detached and neutral can say they are false, or at least there is no evidence to support this etc. Most stations in america are't attempting neutrality and the right have their own choice if they want Trump support, so it is hardly unfair for other stations to be anti him, even if they outnumber the pro Trump.
  • Options
    Mal557 said:

Not yet. As I mentioned, they mostly believe in the fraud line. They just don’t want to say it publicly.

The key will be how much they want to fight. Which is why I keep - very boringly - go back again to saying Arizona is key. Trump gets that, he’s at 242. It’s clear Georgia will be very tight. After that, they will focus on flipping the PA or MI result.
  • Options
    OnboardG1OnboardG1 Posts: 1,311
    I expect the UK to be back at the negotiating table tomorrow with some last-minute concessions to the EU.
  • Options

And is there actually any obligation on CNN to be "fair"? Are they publicly funded? Beyond their commercial reputation if that depends on it. How can you complain about CNN but be fine about Fox?
  • Options
    MyBurningEarsMyBurningEars Posts: 3,651
    edited November 2020

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

isam said:

alex_ said:

isam said:

I dunno. Ask my wife after I’ve been on the whisky or spent the day at the beer festival....
    Prohibitionists and folk who frankly could best be described as neo-prohibitionists have put forward various arguments for banning or seriously restricting booze based on secondary effects - makes us all poorer due to lower economic productivity of not-entirely-sober workers; risk of being killed by a drink-driver; known association between drinking and various categories of violent crime (from pub brawls to domestic violence).

Some more convincing than others of course, but they do look for ways to counter the "it's my body, I'll imbibe what I want to" argument.
  • Options
    isam said:

Foxy said:

isam said:

alex_ said:

isam said:

Yes, we are supposed to lock ourselves indoors to protect the NHS, and made to feel guilty about possibly using NHS services that mean others miss out if we go out; why not do the same for smokers, or drinkers, or any other people who do things that might end them up in hospital? We are doing it now for Covid, the precedent is set
    I doubt it will be extended too much further, but bears watching. The first flu season post Covid(if there is such a thing) will be an interesting one in terms of mask wearing urging.
This discussion has been closed.