Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The betting moves further and further away from Trump – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    I'm not saying the BBC or anyone else should be hyper-partisan I'm just saying that if a politician says something untrue it should be called out as such, you can't balance out lies in the name of "impartiality".

They do it with Labour and the Tories all the time, if they lie, say they lied.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,060

I wonder why @Luckyguy1983 has never called for investigations into postal votes in Tory areas, is it because he's actually a hyper-partisan hack?

Because I'm not aware of any allegations of postal voting fraud in those areas?

If there are allegations relating to Tory candidates, of course they should be investigated.

I'm not hyper partisan at all actually - I'm broadly 'right wing', pro-Britain, pro-Brexit, but if Corbyn, Sturgeon, Starmer, etc. say something I agree with or do something I admire, I say it.
    It's very easy to see if there's likely large scale postal vote cheating, just look at places in the US where postal ballots are very rare (like Texas) and see if you see very different swings.

It's also very easy to take 1,000 or so postal ballots (at random) and then send someone round to check it's genuine.

In the former case, there's very little difference. Indeed, I wouldn't be surprised if Biden did slightly better in places without postal widespread voting.

And the latter is what the Republicans would be suggesting in Georgia, if they really suspected it.

• Options
    alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518

Well that was...something.

If even Rick Santorum is unwilling to defend you, then it is all over

Is he the guy on CNN? Was striving manfully for him until a day or so ago. But he's given up.
  • Options
    https://twitter.com/nypost/status/1324506154148515842

Ah well, guess they should be more impartial too
  • Options
    MrEd said:

Mal557 said:

The GOP will start to distance themselves from him, they will look at the fact they still hold the Senate, the fact they gained some House seats and the fact they don't have to deal with his ego anymore and probably think, all things considered , its not been a bad election after all.

Not yet. As I mentioned, they mostly believe in the fraud line. They just don’t want to say it publicly.

The key will be how much they want to fight. Which is why I keep - very boringly - go back again to saying Arizona is key. Trump gets that, he’s at 242. It’s clear Georgia will be very tight. After that, they will focus on flipping the PA or MI result.
    They believe it's fraudulent, but they don't want to propose any of the very simple checks that would establish whether it is or isn't?

I'm struggling to understand that logic.
  • Options

Lol. If he's lost the New York Post!!!
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,804
    edited November 2020
    isam said:

Foxy said:

isam said:

alex_ said:

isam said:
    Better stop spending loads of money on cancer screening and early diagnosis work then.
    Why don’t they make it illegal for people to do things that make cancer more likely? Think of all the extra capacity at the NHS

Well, the smoking ban in pubs and restaurants was at least partially designed to reduce the incidence of giving cancer to other people...
    Banning tobacco advertising, banning sales to children, large warnings on packets....

I am not sure what point @isam is trying to make.
    The equivalent to the Covid rules would be to make it illegal to smoke, even if only in the presence of people who don’t mind people smoking round them
    No it wouldn't.

Lockdown sceptics won't just come into contact with fellow sceptics, they will come into contact with people required to go out for essential purposes. Their refusal to understand that they are a risk to others is the problem.

(Note: I am not a supporter of the current lockdown, but that doesn't mean that I want a free for all)
  • Options

https://twitter.com/Jason_Keen/status/1324506743100051456

My problem with arguments like this, is it's like the BBC climate change arguments. The idea the BBC should have climate change deniers on because it "balances" the output. There is reality and there is not.

If somebody is a liar and a fraud they should be called out as such, you can't be objective when it comes to that kind of thing.

I would like this 1000 times if I could.

Objectivity is NOT the same as treating the ravings of the ignorant and charlatans as if they are equally as valid as reasoned argument supported by facts. You question reasoned argument too (because reasonable people can disagree), and allow people to express fringe views, but don't treat the loons with a level of respect to which they are simply not entitled.
  • Options
    MrEdMrEd Posts: 5,578
    alex_ said:

Jesus, that is bad. Seems like Murdoch has really decided to put the boot in
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,995
    We are genuinely fortunate that Trump is not malevolent.
    Cos it could have got real bad were he to be so.
    He has, and always has had, an untreatable condition.
    Mostly harmless. Like 99% of the mentally ill.
    It has been staring Western society in the face for 4 years.
    Why did no one speak out is the really disturbing question?
  • Options
    Should Twitter and Facebook tag lies by politicians, absolutely they should!
  • Options
    alex_ said:

And by implication, Rupert.
  • Options
    Honestly misinformation and lies are one of the biggest problems of the last decade, on both sides of the equation. We have to get to grips with it this decade or we're headed for something a lot worse than Trump.
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787
    I wonder if Pence is positioning himself for a “...but I don’t agree with the President’s take on which votes are legal.”?

et tu pence?
  • Options

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

isam said:

alex_ said:

isam said:
    Better stop spending loads of money on cancer screening and early diagnosis work then.
    Why don’t they make it illegal for people to do things that make cancer more likely? Think of all the extra capacity at the NHS

Well, the smoking ban in pubs and restaurants was at least partially designed to reduce the incidence of giving cancer to other people...
    Banning tobacco advertising, banning sales to children, large warnings on packets....

There's a point @isam has made before, back in March I think, that if we're prepared to accept such enormous restrictions to our liberties to defeat Covid, why not take such radical action as banning smoking outright rather than fiddling around the edges with it? Estimates of smoking deaths are of the order of magnitude of 80k per year so it's not a daft question in terms of lives saved, though there's a big distinction in terms of who's accepting the risk (only a small fraction of smoking deaths are thought to be from passive smoking, so the smoker takes on most of the risk of their behaviour, whereas "let people judge their own risk" doesn't work so well with infectious disease where your reckless actions may well cause more harm to others)
    I am happy to support a total tobacco ban.
    Speaking as a life long non-smoker who hates the smell of fags, let’s not be setting any precedents that might affect my booze.
    Secondary drinking is not normally a thing unless your drinking problem is like this one:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVOUlNCJK2Y
    I dunno. Ask my wife after I’ve been on the whisky or spent the day at the beer festival....
    Prohibitionists and folk who frankly could best be described as neo-prohibitionists have put forward various arguments for banning or seriously restricting booze based on secondary effects - makes us all poorer due to lower economic productivity of not-entirely-sober workers; risk of being killed by a drink-driver; known association between drinking and various categories of violent crime (from pub brawls to domestic violence).

Some more convincing than others of course, but they do look for ways to counter the "it's my body, I'll imbibe what I want to" argument.
    It’s a tricky one. How about we just ban wrong ‘uns from drinking?

NB: Just realised my post above could be read as something sinister - I just meant she doesn’t approve of my breath, and the fact I can’t always take my own jumper off smoothly.
  • Options

Given that they were just about the only news organisation pushing the Hunter Biden e-mails story, for them to turn on Trump seems quite significant.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

MrEd said:

Mal557 said:

The GOP will start to distance themselves from him, they will look at the fact they still hold the Senate, the fact they gained some House seats and the fact they don't have to deal with his ego anymore and probably think, all things considered , its not been a bad election after all.

Not yet. As I mentioned, they mostly believe in the fraud line. They just don’t want to say it publicly.

The key will be how much they want to fight. Which is why I keep - very boringly - go back again to saying Arizona is key. Trump gets that, he’s at 242. It’s clear Georgia will be very tight. After that, they will focus on flipping the PA or MI result.
    They believe it's fraudulent, but they don't want to propose any of the very simple checks that would establish whether it is or isn't?

We all know the American electoral system is an absolute sh1tshow on many levels.

Logic doesn’t come into this, it’s about our pure political advantage
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,291
    edited November 2020
    Yokes said:

Maybe I shouldn't be, but I am shocked by Trump behaviour. I know he said all the stuff on the campaign trial, but I just presumed it was his usual billy bullshitting to the crowd to boost his turn out, and that then when we actually got to the election he would have a bit of a rant about the fake news media always being unfair and all the hate he got for no reason and then bugger off.

He is properly mentally unwell.

He isn't mentally unwell, he is a deeply corrupt human being who is in this to enrich himself and he now fears ruin. In US terms I'm probably a republican or, at a pinch, a blue dog Democrat but my personal dislike towards Trump, christ, well this forum has had 5 years of me ranting on about how dodge the guy is.
    Surely if he went with grace, said very close race, just not quite enough, then if the powers that be go after him, he could then claim he was being targeted, its all politically motivated, etc.

And those thinking about backing or advertising say a Trump TV (or reality show, as the big producer used to be his big mate) might think, hmmm, not touching him ever.

Now, well, only the nutters are going to stick up for him.

He has literally blown up any possible future opportunity ever in the future.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,422
    MrEd said:

The GOP infrastructure (senate leadership, fox news ect) are walking away from Trump.

It's over.

It's all over.
    Well, Fox News has been walking away for a bit. James Murdoch is definitely in the anti-Trump camp and Lachlan is more right wing but not as much as his Dad. Their concern will be their ratings if they walk away too quickly. Which is why I don’t think they will call Biden tonight.
    I would think that the first Republican who needs to win a Primary, who says that Trump has lost before Trump does, will become an instant hate figure and at risk in their next primary contest.

They won't want to be seen as the bad guy in a stab in the back myth.
  • Options
    Re: my bet on Biden 55% plus. Are they any other large states out there which were called early and who are taking their time about counting their mail in votes at a very leisurely pace and which aren't included in the numbers? Given what's happening in the battleground states, how many more votes might there be out there? Because ultimately, they all get counted.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

isam said:

alex_ said:

isam said:

There's a point @isam has made before, back in March I think, that if we're prepared to accept such enormous restrictions to our liberties to defeat Covid, why not take such radical action as banning smoking outright rather than fiddling around the edges with it? Estimates of smoking deaths are of the order of magnitude of 80k per year so it's not a daft question in terms of lives saved, though there's a big distinction in terms of who's accepting the risk (only a small fraction of smoking deaths are thought to be from passive smoking, so the smoker takes on most of the risk of their behaviour, whereas "let people judge their own risk" doesn't work so well with infectious disease where your reckless actions may well cause more harm to others)
    Speaking as a life long non-smoker who hates the smell of fags, let’s not be setting any precedents that might affect my booze.
    Secondary drinking is not normally a thing unless your drinking problem is like this one:
    I dunno. Ask my wife after I’ve been on the whisky or spent the day at the beer festival....
    Prohibitionists and folk who frankly could best be described as neo-prohibitionists have put forward various arguments for banning or seriously restricting booze based on secondary effects - makes us all poorer due to lower economic productivity of not-entirely-sober workers; risk of being killed by a drink-driver; known association between drinking and various categories of violent crime (from pub brawls to domestic violence).

Some more convincing than others of course, but they do look for ways to counter the "it's my body, I'll imbibe what I want to" argument.
    What, they think people have a right not to be killed by drunk drivers? And that right deserves protection?

Minge monkeys.
  • Options
    Pretty much all over at this point, Biden is going to win over 270 it seems and possibly over 300
  • Options
    YokesYokes Posts: 1,203
    edited November 2020
    Note how many of the Trump coterie looked to be on hand during that. Count them...anyone who has
    lost some fingers should still be able to manage it.
  • Options
    Mal557Mal557 Posts: 662

Given that they were just about the only news organisation pushing the Hunter Biden e-mails story, for them to turn on Trump seems quite significant.
    Was about to say the same
  • Options

MrEd said:

The GOP infrastructure (senate leadership, fox news ect) are walking away from Trump.

It's over.

It's all over.
    Well, Fox News has been walking away for a bit. James Murdoch is definitely in the anti-Trump camp and Lachlan is more right wing but not as much as his Dad. Their concern will be their ratings if they walk away too quickly. Which is why I don’t think they will call Biden tonight.
    I would think that the first Republican who needs to win a Primary, who says that Trump has lost before Trump does, will become an instant hate figure and at risk in their next primary contest.

That’s why I wonder about Bush. But I’m probably seeing this through a British “a former PM would do it” lens.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,991
    edited November 2020
    Scott_xP said:
    Although Trump will see it as abandoning him or proof various GOP people didn't truly back him and didn't try hard enough, it seems pretty possible that the majority of them backed him, publicly and repeatedly, and worked hard to see him elected in a genuine way, but will not hesitate to disavow this sort of talk, or very quietly walk away from him. They did what they could, they fought for the party and the man, but any obligation is now over. A man as transactional as Trump should know that.
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    Yokes said:

Note how many of the Trump coterie looked to be on hand during that. Count them...anyone who has
    lost some fingers should still be able to manage it.

Yep he was clearly on his own. Something of a comparison with the other night when they thought he was still in the race. Pence was obviously ordered to tweet something in support as a minimum.
  • Options
    alex_ said:

Re: my bet on Biden 55% plus. Are they any other large states out there which were called early and who are taking their time about counting their mail in votes at a very leisurely pace and which aren't included in the numbers? Given what's happening in the battleground states, how many more votes might there be out there? Because ultimately, they all get counted.

California?
  • Options

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

isam said:

alex_ said:

isam said:

It’s a tricky one. How about we just ban wrong ‘uns from drinking?

NB: Just realised my post above could be read as something sinister - I just meant she doesn’t approve of my breath, and the fact I can’t always take my own jumper off smoothly.
    Haha yes I was wondering how to make my reply in such a way as to not suggest that I was suggesting such a thing! I just wanted to convey that your somewhat facetious point about secondary effects of drinking is actually taken pretty seriously by anti-alcohol campaigners (who make a fair bit of input into government policy).
  • Options
    Biden's vote exceeds 73 million!
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,894
    18k votes still to count in GA all Mail In

• Options

alex_ said:

California?
    Other than California. Obviously to get to 55% i need a bit more than that ;)
  • Options

18k votes still to count in GA all Mail In

The one wildcard is Tuesdays military votes but i will have cashed out before then just in case
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,131
    MrEd said:

It's over.

It's all over.
    Yes, they risk losing viewers to Trump's likely new TV station if they call first for Biden, Fox's ultra right viewership would then follow their hero
  • Options

alex_ said:

California?
    Yep, CA only 66% counted.
  • Options

Yokes said:

Maybe I shouldn't be, but I am shocked by Trump behaviour. I know he said all the stuff on the campaign trial, but I just presumed it was his usual billy bullshitting to the crowd to boost his turn out, and that then when we actually got to the election he would have a bit of a rant about the fake news media always being unfair and all the hate he got for no reason and then bugger off.

He isn't mentally unwell, he is a deeply corrupt human being who is in this to enrich himself and he now fears ruin. In US terms I'm probably a republican or, at a pinch, a blue dog Democrat but my personal dislike towards Trump, christ, well this forum has had 5 years of me ranting on about how dodge the guy is.
    Surely if he went with grace, said very close race, just not quite enough, then if the powers that be go after him, he could then claim he was being targeted, its all politically motivated, etc.

And those thinking about backing or advertising say a Trump TV (or reality show, as the big producer used to be his big mate) might think, hmmm, not touching him ever.

It was always likely he was incapable of doing that. Despite all the advantages this guy has had, he's always had a grievance in him with a large dose of narcissism. This isn't new, its been on display before was ever in post.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:
    Well there's something our two countries have in common...
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,991
    rpjs said:

I wonder if Pence is positioning himself for a “...but I don’t agree with the President’s take on which votes are legal.”?

et tu pence?
    Would he even need to go that far? If the various cases lose (or mostly lose), Pence can state he agreed with Trump about the challenges but he accepts the verdict of the court like a good american, while Trump will I am sure not shut up about how he was right.
  • Options
    I don't think Don or Ivanka is going to be running in 2024....
  • Options

MrEd said:

It's over.

It's all over.

Yes, you come out and criticise Trump, you’ve basically given up any chance of winning the nomination. What is more interesting is the railings against Big Tech and Wall Street. I think that will give a boost to the more populist candidates vs the more traditional free marketers
  • Options
    74k ballots in Philly still to come should claw most of his deficit back just from those
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,253
    edited November 2020
  • Options

Yokes said:

The problem is, 45%ish of the American electorate voted for the Chief Nutter. At this point I honestly don't think there is anything Trump can do to repel that 45% - he can be taped admitting to sexual assault, use the office of the Presidency to endorse conspiracy theories, buddy up to anti-American dictators, whatever, they either don't care or actively support it. And the 45% is a market of more than 60 million people. Unfortunately I think he'll be milking them for money and publicity for a long time, with a corresponding corrosive affect on American politics.
  • Options

MrEd said:

It's over.

It's all over.

That’s why I wonder about Bush. But I’m probably seeing this through a British “a former PM would do it” lens.
    McConnell could do it. He'll probably never have to face another election in person.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,128

It's all over.
  • Options
    rpjs said:

et tu pence?
    Pence is Albert Speer.

He isn't going to move against Trump personally. But he definitely isn't going to be in the Fuhrerbunker when the pills start getting handed around and the petrol cans are emptied.
  • Options
    NormNorm Posts: 1,251
    Trump is a classic sociopath.
    - grandiose sense of self
    - pathological liar
    - lack of remorse, shame or guilt
    - shallow emotions
    - incapacity for love
    - need for stimulation
    - callousness/lack of empathy
    - impulsive nature
    - rage and abuse
    -belief they are all-powerful/all-knowing
    - irresponsible/unreliable
    -does not perceive anything is wrong with them
    - paranoia
    - extreme narcissism and grandiose

There are other characteristics I haven't mantioned but DT ticks most of those boxes above.

• Options
    MrEd said:

rcs1000 said:

MrEd said:

Mal557 said:

We all know the American electoral system is an absolute sh1tshow on many levels.

Logic doesn’t come into this, it’s about our pure political advantage
    If you make an allegation, and it can be easily verified, and you don't want that verification, then I don't believe you really believe it.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

MrEd said:

It's over.

It's all over.
    Yes, they risk losing viewers to Trump's likely new TV station if they call first for Biden, Fox's ultra right viewership would then follow their hero
    I thought James Murdoch had already walked away from Fox News?
  • Options
    BluestBlueBluestBlue Posts: 4,556
    Norm said:

- pathological liar
    - shallow emotions
    - incapacity for love
    - need for stimulation
    - impulsive nature
    - rage and abuse
    - paranoia

There are other characteristics I haven't mantioned but DT ticks most of those boxes above.

You sure you haven't confused those with the attributes of the typical PB poster? :wink:
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,988
    Foxy said:

isam said:

Foxy said:

isam said:

alex_ said:

isam said:

The equivalent to the Covid rules would be to make it illegal to smoke, even if only in the presence of people who don’t mind people smoking round them
    No it wouldn't.

Lockdown sceptics won't just come into contact with fellow sceptics, they will come into contact with people required to go out for essential purposes. Their refusal to understand that they are a risk to others is the problem.

(Note: I am not a supporter of the current lockdown, but that doesn't mean that I want a free for all)
    Neither do I. I don’t see that they are refusing to understand they are a risk to others though
  • Options
    GA is going to flip first isn't it?

Amazing drama in real time.
  • Options
    It is worth remembering that there are still military ballots to come in in Georgia, although they voted for Clinton last time around.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:
    I think that’s right. Larry Hogan is never going to win - he’s a Republican Governor of a Democratic state - so he’s at liberty to criticise. Others aren’t.

Also bear in mind, the GOP picked up House seats. These new members might not be so keen to ditch Trump.

There’s also a problem here for the GOP leadership. Trump managed to create a truly seismic shift (in comparison with before) in non-white votes. The GOP, at least with Hispanics, are at the point of making a significant break through. If they ditch Trump now, it’s likely they lose that support.
  • Options
    I agree with this idea of not condescending your voters and so on but at what point do you say, there is no hope for you if you will vote for a man so completely and utterly unsuitable for any position of power?
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    Thankfully the nutters showing up are very small in number at the moment.
  • Options
    gealbhangealbhan Posts: 2,362
    Scott_xP said:
    So he meant actual beheading, not some political vernacular for sacking?
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    Norm said:

- pathological liar
    - shallow emotions
    - incapacity for love
    - need for stimulation
    - impulsive nature
    - rage and abuse
    - paranoia

Nah. Its NPD.
    If someone were having a heart attack live on TV then there would be an intervention.
    We've a long, long way to go as a society before mental and physical illness are treated equally.
  • Options
    And I don't even think he was being hyperbolic.
  • Options
    DEM

PA 1.09
    GA 1.18
    NV 1.05
    AZ 1.37
  • Options
    Amazing.

Trump has had his Ratner moment. He went on TV and dissed everyone and support drained away even before he finished talking.

Even Ratner lasted 2 weeks.
  • Options
    MrEd said:

Scott_xP said:
    I think that’s right. Larry Hogan is never going to win - he’s a Republican Governor of a Democratic state - so he’s at liberty to criticise. Others aren’t.

Also bear in mind, the GOP picked up House seats. These new members might not be so keen to ditch Trump.

There’s also a problem here for the GOP leadership. Trump managed to create a truly seismic shift (in comparison with before) in non-white votes. The GOP, at least with Hispanics, are at the point of making a significant break through. If they ditch Trump now, it’s likely they lose that support.
    Were the Hispanics really pro-Trump? Or were they anti-Biden/socialist?
  • Options
    edited November 2020

I agree with this idea of not condescending your voters and so on but at what point do you say, there is no hope for you if you will vote for a man so completely and utterly unsuitable for any position of power?

Seems a bit harsh on Biden voters....

I think what you have to ask if why are they voting for him, yet again. Outside the nutters, I think there are a lot of quiet Americans who have voted for him, not because they worship him, but because of other reasons of massive structural issues in the US (as Trump identified in 2016).
  • Options
    Big opportunity for Johnson to gamble and come out against Trump...
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,894
    I think Gore Vidal saw this coming in his excellent novel 'The Messiah'. Trump has a lot of the John Cave about him.
  • Options

I think what you have to ask if why are they voting for him. Outside a small number of nutters, I think there are a lot of quiet Americans who have voted for him, not because they worship him, but because of other reasons (as Trump identified in 2016).
    Okay but even then I am struggling to understand why they would vote for him, I really want to understand it but I simply cannot. I genuinely don't want to sound condescending but to me it's nuts.
  • Options
    MrEd's fantasy that a loser Trump would carry the adoring GOP into a government in exile lasted about an hour.
  • Options
    GOP think they're going to win Arizona.
  • Options
    Isn't Arizona a bit irrelevant at this point?
  • Options
    Roger said:

I think Gore Vidal saw this coming in his excellent novel 'The Messiah'. Trump has a lot of the John Cave about him.

Nah. It's just Trollope.
  • Options
    edited November 2020

Not for the betrayal myth.

Trump traces it all back to Fox's calling of the state.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,311
    AZ: GOP think it's going very well for them.

Next numbers will be out in one hour.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,804
    isam said:

Foxy said:

isam said:

Foxy said:

isam said:

alex_ said:

isam said:

No it wouldn't.

Neither do I. I don’t see that they are refusing to understand they are a risk to others though
    Its as simple as spending the night mingling in the pub without a mask, then sitting next to you on the Tube the next day on the way to work. Or being in the clinic room before you etc.

A couple more in my department came down with it this week, though seem not to be occupational exposed. Track and Trace is a waste of space in terms of identifying contacts. We have patients with covid as young as 22 on our ICU, many of them white. This is a serious disease.
  • Options
    Stop the vote in Arizona right Trump? Am I right?
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,311
    Trump won last batch in Maracopa (AZ) by 9k to 3k.
  • Options
    edited November 2020

It is not irrelevant at this point because this is now about the clear win, proper distance both for the country but ironically for the GOP, who need that kind of loss.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,086

I think what you have to ask if why are they voting for him. Outside a small number of nutters, I think there are a lot of quiet Americans who have voted for him, not because they worship him, but because of other reasons (as Trump identified in 2016).
    Okay but even then I am struggling to understand why they would vote for him, I really want to understand it but I simply cannot. I genuinely don't want to sound condescending but to me it's nuts.
    Maybe this will explain

https://twitter.com/jessphillips/status/1324512124278853633?s=21
  • Options
    gealbhan said:

Scott_xP said:
    So he meant actual beheading, not some political vernacular for sacking?
    Yes, he later goes on to elaborate his point: executing people was what was needed to win the American Revolution; it was no picnic.
  • Options
    The really sad thing about this is how the networks have now backed away. This isn't a story for the next 48 hours. He's now the Pub nutter. Best to back away.
    So why has it been tolerated? Ratings, profits. SAD!!!
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

isam said:

alex_ said:

isam said:

What, they think people have a right not to be killed by drunk drivers? And that right deserves protection?

Minge monkeys.
    The question is whether banning or severely limiting the availability of booze is a proportionate response, rather than, say, enhancing police enforcement of drink-drinking laws.

For more "banning things most people use quite harmlessly because some wront'uns do harm to others" action, see also: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/4581871.stm "Doctors' kitchen knives ban call" (apparently "doctors say knives are too pointed" - from 2005, didn't get acted on, the Church of England tried to give the campaign renewed traction last year: https://www.rochester.anglican.org/communications/news/government-urged-to-restrict-the-sale-of-pointed-knives.php ... probably a campaign with rather more in its favour than the headlines that greeted it suggested)
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,894

MrEd's fantasy that a loser Trump would carry the adoring GOP into a government in exile lasted about an hour.

Something a bit sinister about him. Is he a Trump?
  • Options
    MrEd said:

Scott_xP said:

The trouble with riding a tiger always comes when you try to get off. Republicans might have a choice between betraying Trump (bad) and sticking with him (worse).
  • Options
    edited November 2020

There are numerous reasons. Don't forget until COVID the economy was going well, and there are a lot of people whose jobs in have gone and believe Trump will get them back or are threatened by Biden e.g. he wants to phase out the oil industry.

Corbyn isn't in the same league as Trump on the nutter stakes, but I have always have grave concerns about his friends and fellow travellers. However, I fully understand why people wanted to vote for him, and even though I think his solutions were wrong, he was addressing many peoples real concerns. Trump shtick played on many of the similar concerns, mainly how globalisation has created losers*, where the deal providing opportunity to work hard will be rewarded in a decent life has been broken.

* I don't mean they are a "loser" (as in negative abuse), I win in a game of winners and losers.
  • Options
    alex_ said:

Not for the betrayal myth.

Trump traces it all back to Fox's calling of the state.
    Doesn't Arizona going the other way actually undermine him in a way? The Trump argument is "it's funny how all these votes they are 'finding' are Democrat". But they're not, and demonstrably not if Arizona goes the other way - it depends on the local process and which type and location of votes are left to be counted towards the end.
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    MikeL said:

Trump won last batch in Maracopa (AZ) by 9k to 3k.

I thought they were releasing only one batch today at 2am our time expected to be half of the 300k outstanding there? Yes thats right

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2G2V0V1wvwM
  • Options
    alex_ said:

Well that was...something.

If even Rick Santorum is unwilling to defend you, then it is all over

Is he the guy on CNN? Was striving manfully for him until a day or so ago. But he's given up.
    Yes. He’s a very right wing Republican, and normally up to defend the indefensible.
This discussion has been closed.