Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

WH2020: Key state turnout as percentage of votes cast – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    Thats what led to the 10pm pubs nonsense, cabinet couldnt agree, PM didnt lead so we ended up with a compromise that made it worse.

Expect the same.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,277
    "no choice" on national extreme lockdown says rent-a-zero-covid-zealot from Scotland.

Of course there's a choice. That's what the Cabinet are supposed to decide.
  • Options
    LadyG said:

Scott_xP said:
    A U-turn, U -turn.

Perhaps we will have tier 6.5 instead of tier 4.0?
    Maybe they just realised the presser clashed with the England rugby match
    Not particularly Churchillian, is it?

"We will fight them on the beaches, but not until the ruggah is over. We will never surrender, except for crimbo hollybops."
  • Options

Is this a massive problem 33.7m mail ballots outstanding?

Total Early Votes: 90,012,433

In-Person Votes: 32,663,560 •

Mail Ballots Returned: 57,348,873 •

Mail Ballots Outstanding: 33,680,976

Good question. I presume there will always be a proportion of people who request ballots and then can't be arsed to return them. But +35% sounds high.

Maybe they are in the post?
    Thats what worries me i am hoping a lot are received but not yet processed
    Two points:

1) always lag between ballots being mailed back OR dropped in box, and their return being recorded & reported by election offices.

2) in WA State (and my guess is many other jurisdictions) LARGE share of voters using drop boxes INSTEAD of mail, due to Trumpsky's highly publicized war against USPS; for example in King County (Seattle & burbs) over 70% of all returns via drop box, which is WAY up from August Primary AND despite fact that return-ballot postage is pre-paid.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,729
    LadyG said:

It's time for the government to start giving us all heroin for free. That's the only way through this.

The proportion even of PBers who enjoy both heroin and gin is, I think, a relatively small one.
  • Options
    Have we ever had three different Chancellors in a calendar year?
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,992
    Who the f cares what it is called?
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,365
    edited October 2020

LadyG said:

Andy_JS said:

Will swimming pools and gyms have to close?

For sure.
    Imagine you are that Liverpool gym guy. All the fighting you did to keep your business open.

arbitrarily shut down with a wave of a hand by a highly paid medical advisor with big salary and a huge pension. That you are trying to finance by keeping your business open and paying taxes.

As I have said before, these people are not vassals, they are voters. When the time comes, do the politicians of today honestly think they are going to get these votes, or millions of others?
    Seems like lots of these people did vote for the politicians in New Zealand, because in exchange for temporary disruption the virus was brought under control.

I think that it's the incompetence of imposing lockdown, after lockdown, and still not bringing the virus under control that will be the problem for politicians in the UK.
  • Options

Thats what led to the 10pm pubs nonsense, cabinet couldnt agree, PM didnt lead so we ended up with a compromise that made it worse.

Expect the same.
    Non National Tier 4 Lockdown involving all regional areas.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,370

Scott_xP said:
    Sunak has walked?
    Or threatened to. Shades of Justine Greening refusing to leave Dave's cabinet.
  • Options

Robert Jenrick would make an excellent Chancellor. A proven track record of not giving away public money
  • Options
    alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518
    Even handed ;)

Doesn’t seem right that the new lockdown guidelines are all leaked to a chosen few in the media prior to the press conference.
    Seems perfectly reasonable that the new lockdown guidelines are all leaked to a chosen few in the media prior to the press conference.

— Gary Lineker (@GaryLineker) October 31, 2020
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,067
    Police and the Crown Prosecution Service have been handed a 225-page dossier urging them to investigate Dominic Cummings for allegedly perverting the course of justice, in relation to a statement about his journeys to the north-east of England at the height of the pandemic.

The former regional chief prosecutor Nazir Afzal said Cummings’ claims during a press conference in Downing Street’s rose garden on 25 May affected the course of justice as they were made as Durham police’s investigation into his behaviour was already under way.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,293

Andy_JS said:

"Our leaders should admit they’re totally lost

Britain isn’t suffering from lockdown fatigue, it has just lost faith in the cocksure claims of politicians and scientists

Matthew Parris" (£)

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/comment/our-leaders-should-admit-theyre-totally-lost-gtpjzkr9p

Nothing will happen until somebody new springs up to challenge the tories and labour.

The only candidate right now is Farage and he has his head so far up Trump's backside he has no conception of what is going on
    What about the indomitable "Maureen" - not good enough for you guys because she's a working class woman?
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Scott_xP said:
    Sunak has walked?
    Or threatened to. Shades of Justine Greening refusing to leave Dave's cabinet.
    Mrs May's cabinet.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,130

So it looks like our trip to Barnard Castle on Thursday will be off. Genuinely we were going there.

Reduced to being an Uber driver covering Westminster, just to make ends meet? Time for another fundraise if so.....
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,655
    So now that Peston has published the plan Bozo is having to change the plan to make Peston look poorly informed.

Hence the further delay.
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    I wonder if anyone at the press conference (if it happens) will ask Boris Johnson how soon he had previously expected the impact of the new Tier system* to start having an impact on 1) case numbers 2) hospitalisations 3) deaths?

*implemented a couple of weeks ago, with some places only having been in their current tier for less than a week.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,796
    Andy_JS said:

Omnium said:

Andy_JS said:

Britain isn’t suffering from lockdown fatigue, it has just lost faith in the cocksure claims of politicians and scientists

Matthew Parris" (£)

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/comment/our-leaders-should-admit-theyre-totally-lost-gtpjzkr9p

Lost in the wind behind the paywall.
    You can read a number of articles for free by registering. That's what I do.
    Of course. One can even pay!

It's so very hard to find publications worth paying for though. The old-style broadsheets should be nailed-one, but they've so let themselves go. The weeklys - Speccy, Economist etc have merit, but also many faults.

When I was at uni I subscibed to Private Eye and a monthly magazine called FMR -a sort of glossy art thing (perhaps mainly to make an impressive pigeon-hole). I couldn't afford these subscriptions, but that was my bank managers problem. I can say that I enjoyed every issue of these arrivals though.

In recent years I've subscribed to a few publications - they simply aren't being read though. That may be partly me, but it's certainly in part that they're not living up to the repute. Admittedly that's likely due to the easy and good free content on the internet.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

BoZo does

https://twitter.com/BareReality/status/1306897564885831680
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,783
    dixiedean said:

Evidently "someone" in the No.10 team.....
  • Options
  • Options
    https://twitter.com/lewis_goodall/status/1322584358327377921

So they leaked the change of time instead of fucking announcing it
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,952
    LadyG said:

LadyG said:

So... On holiday in Cornwall this week. Will we have to come home before Thursday? Or can we stay until Saturday as planned and paid for?

No, you will need to return by Thursday midnight I beleive
    Didn't you just book a foreign holiday?
    I was joking. Even the Canaries require a negative test, and organising all that AND a flight and hotel by Wednesday will be tricky.

I will just have to do this one alone with my newts. And several hundred bottles of Rioja Gran Reserva
    I booked a test Thursday at 11pm and had it Midday Friday, you can do it!
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,313
    Bozo is completely shit at doing the hard graft of politics.

He’d have learned more from eight years as a Borough councillor than being dropped straight into London mayor and evading any scrutiny thereafter.
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,557
    I suspect the delay is because they're agonising over exactly how to sell it without it seeming like a victory for Starmer. I don't imagine the delay is anything to do with reflecting on what's best for the national interest.
  • Options

Turns out the last time was 1970 with Jenkins, Macleod, and Barber.
  • Options

"no choice" on national extreme lockdown says rent-a-zero-covid-zealot from Scotland.

Of course there's a choice. That's what the Cabinet are supposed to decide.

If the government had followed the advice of Prof Devi Sridhar in the summer we would not be in this mess.
  • Options
    LadyGLadyG Posts: 2,221
    I take this guy's point - he's quite cogent - however if lockdowns are so utterly useless and damaging, why are they being enforced by: Germany, France, Holland, Belgium, Spain, Australia, Czechia, Iran, and previously in China, Singapore, etc?
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

Matthew Parris" (£)

Nothing will happen until somebody new springs up to challenge the tories and labour.

The only candidate right now is Farage and he has his head so far up Trump's backside he has no conception of what is going on
    https://twitter.com/brexitparty_uk/status/1314236764857524231?s=20
  • Options
    What a parcel of rogues for a nation!
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,951

I suspect the delay is because they're agonising over exactly how to sell it without it seeming like a victory for Starmer. I don't imagine the delay is anything to do with reflecting on what's best for the national interest.

Wonder if it's a resignation standoff, actually.

• Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,290
    What is happening re housing market?

Are house moves being stopped?

Including actual physical move of furniture?
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,985
    Mortimer said:

The chancellor, especially given previous reports?
  • Options
    isam said:

Andy_JS said:

Matthew Parris" (£)

They seem quite on the ball with marketing, hopefully once Farage has descended, as you say, he will stand up for the decent sized minority who aren't in favour of lockdowns.

https://twitter.com/brexitparty_uk/status/1322221435306332160?s=20
  • Options
    Now England are going to blow the championship. Brilliant.
  • Options
    contrariancontrarian Posts: 5,818
    isam said:

Andy_JS said:

Matthew Parris" (£)

IF Trump wins, Farage will presumably come back to Britain with his campaign and his message and use it to relaunch the BP...??

Dunno.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,320

Turns out the last time was 1970 with Jenkins, Macleod, and Barber.
    1924 as well - Chamberlain, Snowden, Churchill.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,526
    edited October 2020
    LadyG said:

Yes, this is the worst performance against a side from Rome since the battle of Zama.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

He’d have learned more from eight years as a Borough councillor than being dropped straight into London mayor and evading any scrutiny thereafter.
    I think he's doing fine.

His in-tray every morning is shit, his room for maneuver non-existent, his downside massive.

I think he's doing fine.
  • Options
    Fake news. He's filling it with diesel.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Andy_JS said:

Matthew Parris" (£)

What about the indomitable "Maureen" - not good enough for you guys because she's a working class woman?
    Perfectly good enough for me.

Trouble is, the tories aren't listening to her because she doesn't have slick, well oiled and powerful political machine behind her.

And neither, for the record, does maverick Lawrence Fox.

After Boris's latest blunder, if it goes ahead, millions of tory votes are going to be up for grabs.

• Options
    Mortimer said:

Unlikely. From the clip of Steve Baker they just played on Sky even he seemed to understand that a lockdown had become necessary so no chance a Cabinet Minister will kill their career by appearing irresponsible over this.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,130

Scott_xP said:
    A U-turn, U -turn.

Let's follow the lead of the Goombay Dance Band - and have Seven Tiers......
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

TMay and John Major both had stints as Councillor on their CV; are there any other PMs?

And although neither ended as a raging success, in terms of keeping on keeping on through horrible circumstances that weren't really their fault, they both had a certain something.

It's the risk with Rishi, he's been in politics for about 30 minutes and we've not seen what he's like when his back is really against the wall. (Dishing out cash in a crisis is traumatic, but in a different way).
  • Options

Mortimer said:

Unlikely. From the clip of Steve Baker they just played on Sky even he seemed to understand that a lockdown had become necessary so no chance a Cabinet Minister will kill their career by appearing irresponsible over this.
    No matter, they are all going down together.
  • Options
    Omnium said:

IanB2 said:

I think he's doing fine.

His in-tray every morning is shit, his room for maneuver non-existent, his downside massive.

I think he's doing fine.
    That's what Herbert Hoover's press flack was telling everybody 1930-32. And Neville Chamberlain's 1939 to May 1940.
  • Options

LadyG said:

Yes, this is the worst performance against a side from Rome since the battle of Cannae.
    Eh? The Carthaginians rather famously won at Cannae!

Do you mean Zama?
  • Options

Mortimer said:

What about the guy who called Sir Keir Starmer 'Captain Hindsight' a few weeks ago?
  • Options
    isam said:

Andy_JS said:

Matthew Parris" (£)

That's the queue for the fancy dress shop.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,031
    I'm rather enjoying Watch Dogs: Legion.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

I'm rather enjoying Watch Dogs: Legion.

Bit too close to reality, no?
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,855
    Mortimer said:

Were I a minister, I think I would find it impossible to defend this.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

LadyG said:

Yes, this is the worst performance against a side from Rome since the battle of Cannae.

Do you mean Zama?
    My original post says Zama.

It is fake news to say otherwise.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Mortimer said:

Were I a minister, I think I would find it impossible to defend this.</blockquote

Especially if, like Dominic Raab, you were defending the old policy to the hilt just yesterday.....
  • Options
    LadyG said:

MaxPB said:

So... On holiday in Cornwall this week. Will we have to come home before Thursday? Or can we stay until Saturday as planned and paid for?

Just stay, the only thing is that everything will be shut despite the incidence rate in SW England basically being nothing.
    That is what I am hoping we can do. We came here to do nothing anyway, maybe a few long walks and some sea air.
    But I am pretty sure hotels will be told to enforce the law: this will be policed. And you are only allowed to stay overnight outside your home for work from Thursday on, No more holidays.

Of course if you are in some self catering or, even better, a 2nd home you'll probably be fine. You will be breaking the rules but no one will check.
    Has anyone seen any company 'enforcing' the law at all? I haven't.

People are asked if they have done the track and trace. People say yes. That is it.

• Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,728

Scott_xP said:
    A U-turn, U -turn.

Let's follow the lead of the Goombay Dance Band - and have Seven Tiers......
    The Tiers of a Clown...
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Johnson really should go.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,027
    MikeL said:

How’s Mr Pioneers going to manage?
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,502

Omnium said:

IanB2 said:

I think he's doing fine.

I think he's doing fine.
    That's what Herbert Hoover's press flack was telling everybody 1930-32. And Neville Chamberlain's 1939 to May 1940.
    "My centre is giving way, my right is retreating, situation excellent, I am attacking."
  • Options

Omnium said:

IanB2 said:

I think he's doing fine.

I think he's doing fine.
    You're quite right of course. I'm not sure Boris is straying so very far off course as those examples though.

• Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,193

Mortimer said:

What about the guy who called Sir Keir Starmer 'Captain Hindsight' a few weeks ago?
    What was Starmer actually calling for? Did he want schools to be shut?
  • Options
    LadyG said:

MaxPB said:

Just stay, the only thing is that everything will be shut despite the incidence rate in SW England basically being nothing.
    That is what I am hoping we can do. We came here to do nothing anyway, maybe a few long walks and some sea air.
    But I am pretty sure hotels will be told to enforce the law: this will be policed. And you are only allowed to stay overnight outside your home for work from Thursday on, No more holidays.

Of course if you are in some self catering or, even better, a 2nd home you'll probably be fine. You will be breaking the rules but no one will check.
    From the leaks so far, it appears to be a mix of "law" and "guidance". So you don't know that there will be any 'law' to enforce.

• Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,126
    They've already fucked with Little Mix the Search, so if they delay Strictly too they are completely dead to me.
    BTW does everyone on PB agree that Starmer was right and displayed characteristic foresight in calling for the policy the government is now following, albeit too late?
  • Options
    LadyG said:

I've got a tenner on France winning the title, so hopefully.
  • Options

Mortimer said:

The first senior minister to go over this will likely be next PM.

My feeling is Boris might survive until the spring, but only, like Mrs May, to make sure he absorbs all the flack that is coming his way. Politically, IMO his career is over.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

LadyG said:

Do you mean Zama?
    My original post says Zama.

It is fake news to say otherwise.
    I dunno, Oxbridge graduates.
  • Options
    alex_ said:

LadyG said:

MaxPB said:

From the leaks so far, it appears to be a mix of "law" and "guidance". So you don't know that there will be any 'law' to enforce.

It has to be lockdown-by-law, this time, doesn't it? To give it credence and force.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,610
    LadyG said:

I take this guy's point - he's quite cogent - however if lockdowns are so utterly useless and damaging, why are they being enforced by: Germany, France, Holland, Belgium, Spain, Australia, Czechia, Iran, and previously in China, Singapore, etc?
    Lockdowns are useful in buying time to organise. We have proven we can't or won't do that so there's no point. Asian countries used them to buy time, we're using the to stop infections.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

My feeling is Boris might survive until the spring, but only, like Mrs May, to make sure he absorbs all the flack that is coming his way. Politically, IMO his career is over.
    Agreed
  • Options

They've already fucked with Little Mix the Search, so if they delay Strictly too they are completely dead to me.
    BTW does everyone on PB agree that Starmer was right and displayed characteristic foresight in calling for the policy the government is now following, albeit too late?
    Nope - both Starmer and the govt are wrong.
  • Options

No, they're both wrong.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,728

IanB2 said:

TMay and John Major both had stints as Councillor on their CV; are there any other PMs?

And although neither ended as a raging success, in terms of keeping on keeping on through horrible circumstances that weren't really their fault, they both had a certain something.

It's the risk with Rishi, he's been in politics for about 30 minutes and we've not seen what he's like when his back is really against the wall. (Dishing out cash in a crisis is traumatic, but in a different way).
    Attlee was mayor of Stepney.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Hope springs eternal. I suspect he has a bit more damage up his sleeve yet. Would be good to get rid before he forces a cold, hard Brexit on us on top of all of this.
  • Options

MikeL said:

It’s going to cause me some fairly significant headaches as well given the new extension isn’t finished yet. It should be finished this week (it’s outdoor work and anyway, I’m not in during the day) but it’s going to be a right bugger getting the furniture in if I can’t use a removal firm.
  • Options
    Maybe Sunak's just fed up of having to come up with new unaffordable economic packages at 10 minutes notice.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,883
    tlg86 said:

Mortimer said:

For half term
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

MikeL said:

It’s going to cause me some fairly significant headaches as well given the new extension isn’t finished yet. It should be finished this week (it’s outdoor work and anyway, I’m not in during the day) but it’s going to be a right bugger getting the furniture in if I can’t use a removal firm.
    Obviously don't know the rules, but given 'travel for work' will apparently be allowed, I don't see why removals would be stopped....
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Hope springs eternal. I suspect he has a bit more damage up his sleeve yet. Would be good to get rid before he forces a cold, hard Brexit on us on top of all of this.
    Boris will be in place on the 1st January 2021 but not sure how far into 2021 he will last
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Mortimer said:

He was being slightly opportunist, slightly reasonable, and mostly political.

Labour have nothing to offer in all this, and that's sort of fine in that they're not alone. They've had nothing to offer since Blair anyway, and of course he had Brown.

I'd give Starmer 10/10 for his leadership so far. I'm never going to vote Labour, but if I was then considering it Starmer is doing the right things.

• Options

Jonathan said:

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Boris will be in place on the 1st January 2021 but not sure how far into 2021 he will last
    Hanging around to deliver one further insult to the UK.
  • Options
    UK cases by specimen date

• Options

tlg86 said:

Mortimer said:

Lockdown to coincide with school holidays.

Obvious point that if had done this earlier, like when SAGE suggested or SKS suggested, then the same results could have been achieved in less time as there was less infection to work out of the system.
    To what end?
  • Options
    UK R derived from case data

• Options
    UK cases by specimen date, scaled to 100K population

• Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,908

Lol - you've been on here long enough to know better!
  • Options

tlg86 said:

Mortimer said:

For half term
    My understanding was he wanted a two-week half term break. Which would have made an enormous amount of sense on a very large number of levels.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,783
    Masterful! Just watched BBC1

The Channels have cleared their schedules since 16.00.

They have to fill the air with something.

Who can they get?

Government critics, that's who....
  • Options
    UK case summary

• Options
    edited October 2020
    UK R - derived from case and hospitalisation data

This discussion has been closed.