Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » A big day for Sunak – now as big a threat to Starmer as he is

Comments

• Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,190
    It won't be a lack of work coaches in Job Centres stopping people getting back to work, it'll be the lack of jobs
  • Options
    Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 7,981
    MaxPB said:

Sandpit said:

Sunak has done well so far in the job, he's come across as suited to the role and spoken eloquently about the difficulties we face.

The problem is that all his department has done so far his spend money, to the point where we are looking at an annual deficit to make 2009 cry. At some point, he's going to have to cut spending and raise taxes, or find a way to introduce a big dose of inflation into the economy, that's when life gets more difficult for him.

That said, he deserves our best wishes, there's no easy way out from where we are now.

Quantitative Easing.

The Bank has printed £300bn this year which means in reality how much is our deficit this year? Also prevents deflation and adds a bit of much needed inflation into the country.

What's going to matter more is future years. The deficit will have to close again, not this year but before too long.
    Fundamentally we're going to have to keep tipping cash into circulation to keep large parts of the economy open. Will be a long term problem to manage that is less bad than the immediate short term contraction of money stopping circulating. If we get the suggested £1,500 in Sunak tokens (2 adults 2 kids) then I'll go and spend £1,500 in tokens in the bits of the economy they are intended for. If we don't then it'll be a few hundred maybe.

Spend the cash to keep jobs that will go otherwise in a strategically important industry? Where cash to preserve the jobs is less than the hit of not doing so? Its the 1970s redux.
    If he gives us cash we will put it in the bank...
    I would expect it to be in voucher form with no cash value
    In that case, grocery shopping.

I am not going to go out and buy stuff I do not need just because somebody gave me a voucher
    I doubt it will work in a supermarket. There will definitely be an aftermarket for the vouchers, you could probably sell it to someone else quite easily unless it needs to be presented with a photo ID.
    If it is transferable I will give it to my daughters. I have everything I want or need.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    Impressive that the £1k furlough back to work bonus wasn't leaked before today. That is a massive boost to the economy getting people actually back to work and I'm amazed that wasn't trailled in the press beforehands.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited July 2020
    This is one very worried government, to be hosing all this dosh around to bribe firms to keep people in work. Rightly worried, of course. But these are unbelievably expensive sticking-plasters.
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,908

The £1k furlough bonus is politically clever. A sizable amount of cash to offer, and if companies fold before they take it it deflects the blame onto them.

Don't really see the logic myself.
    £1k isn't going to change their decision, so feels like just a bonus for those whose staff would have been kept anyway.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,859
    welshowl said:

The Bryn Glas tunnels in Newport. A notorious bottle beck on the M4 the motorway between S Wales and Bristol/London.

Drakeford canned a motorway by pass. Boris was implying he might override Drakeford I guess.
    The Brynglas tunnels were a massive bottleneck when I went to uni in Wales, more than 20 years ago.

They should have been part of the Second Severn Crossing scheme.

Fixing this one goes alongside fixing the A303 at Stonehenge as the best value road project possible.
  • Options

This is one very worried government, to be hosing all this dosh around to bribe firms to keep people in work. Rightly worried, of course.

Nobody sane can say they're not taking this seriously.

I've never been more grateful that we didn't elect Corbyn though. Can you imagine what Corbyn would have done if he and McDonnell were in Downing Street? Anything that moved would be nationalised under the guise of bailing them out.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Sunak has done well so far in the job, he's come across as suited to the role and spoken eloquently about the difficulties we face.

The problem is that all his department has done so far his spend money, to the point where we are looking at an annual deficit to make 2009 cry. At some point, he's going to have to cut spending and raise taxes, or find a way to introduce a big dose of inflation into the economy, that's when life gets more difficult for him.

That said, he deserves our best wishes, there's no easy way out from where we are now.

Quantitative Easing.

The Bank has printed £300bn this year which means in reality how much is our deficit this year? Also prevents deflation and adds a bit of much needed inflation into the country.

What's going to matter more is future years. The deficit will have to close again, not this year but before too long.
    Fundamentally we're going to have to keep tipping cash into circulation to keep large parts of the economy open. Will be a long term problem to manage that is less bad than the immediate short term contraction of money stopping circulating. If we get the suggested £1,500 in Sunak tokens (2 adults 2 kids) then I'll go and spend £1,500 in tokens in the bits of the economy they are intended for. If we don't then it'll be a few hundred maybe.

Spend the cash to keep jobs that will go otherwise in a strategically important industry? Where cash to preserve the jobs is less than the hit of not doing so? Its the 1970s redux.
    If he gives us cash we will put it in the bank...
    Why would you do that, at 0%? Even Premium Bonds would be better,
    Bank = "Anything that is not a cash register or checkout". ;)
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    rkrkrk said:

The £1k furlough bonus is politically clever. A sizable amount of cash to offer, and if companies fold before they take it it deflects the blame onto them.

Don't really see the logic myself.
    £1k isn't going to change their decision, so feels like just a bonus for those whose staff would have been kept anyway.
    I think it may help tip a lot of edge cases into the keep column instead of the redundancy column. It's not going to be black and white.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,272
    No stamp duty upto £500,000 until 31st March 2021 with immediate effect
  • Options
    welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460
    Carnyx said:

welshowl said:

The Bryn Glas tunnels in Newport. A notorious bottle beck on the M4 the motorway between S Wales and Bristol/London.

Drakeford canned a motorway by pass. Boris was implying he might override Drakeford I guess.

Can he do that? Constitutionally I mean.
    Dunno tbh. But I guess you could just amend the devolution act if he really wanted to go nuclear to get the by pass built.

The whole things been a clusterf*** for years and years here, and pre Corona it was a car park every morning and evening and it’s the prime route by far for the Welsh economy. Now post COVID traffic has plunged. For how long and how much is the question now as the calculations on traffic flows would need to be redone I assume.

• Options
    Here it comes!
  • Options
    Here comes beer tokens...
  • Options
    Doesn’t a 1K bonus just incentivise companies to keep employees until January and then fire them
  • Options
    edited July 2020

This is one very worried government, to be hosing all this dosh around to bribe firms to keep people in work. Rightly worried, of course. But these are unbelievably expensive sticking-plasters.

Very expensive, but the view is going to be that once someone loses their job, that £1k is spent very quickly by the government on benefits which may persist for years in some cases. They don't need that many fewer unemployed at the margins to save the £9bn overall.
  • Options
    VAT cut on hospitality!

I've been calling for that here. That's a massive boost to the bottom line for a struggling sector.
  • Options
    VAT on hospitality and leisure industry to 5%
  • Options

This is one very worried government, to be hosing all this dosh around to bribe firms to keep people in work. Rightly worried, of course.

I've never been more grateful that we didn't elect Corbyn though. Can you imagine what Corbyn would have done if he and McDonnell were in Downing Street? Anything that moved would be nationalised under the guise of bailing them out.
    A big grant to the PLO for jobs creation in Gaza
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,922
    I don't see the £1,000 making much difference to be honest. But I really like the apprenticeship money and the fact that it has also been made available for over-25s. That is a very strong policy.
  • Options
    edited July 2020

Couldn't do that while we were still in the EU.

Many of us here called for it, it's 50p-75p off a pint.
  • Options

Doesn’t a 1K bonus just incentivise companies to keep employees until January and then fire them

No, the whole point is to keep people in employment and generate an economic recovery. If the news of the vaccine trials working are true then tiding employment over until January might be all we need.
  • Options

Corbyn-esque levels of spending.... :D:D:disappointed:

How ironic that PB Tories used to have this as an economic disaster scenario (until their own Chancellor adopted it)

"Fate, it seems, is not without a sense of irony..." - Morpheus
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,182

Impressive that the £1k furlough back to work bonus wasn't leaked before today. That is a massive boost to the economy getting people actually back to work and I'm amazed that wasn't trailled in the press beforehands.

Like I said - spoofing.
  • Options

It will get some through Christmas, which is no bad thing.

• Options
    What? I wanted some cash?!
  • Options
    How on earth does labour respond to this other than too little too late
  • Options

VAT cut on hospitality!

I've been calling for that here. That's a massive boost to the bottom line for a struggling sector.

That's literally the policy we were talking about in here, VAT cuts on consumer goods has never made sense for a country that doesn't manufacture its own consumer goods.
  • Options
    That eat out discount sounds . . . complicated. Many restaurants already do a Meerkat Meals style of 2 for 1 early week.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

No, the whole point is to keep people in employment and generate an economic recovery. If the news of the vaccine trials working are true then tiding employment over until January might be all we need.
    That doesn’t dispute what I said. This policy will be so easily abused, keep a worker on for a few months get a free bonus then fire them.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

VAT cut on hospitality!

That's literally the policy we were talking about in here, VAT cuts on consumer goods has never made sense for a country that doesn't manufacture its own consumer goods.
    Yup!
  • Options
    Is that it????
  • Options

Or they might actually have spent less than a Tory government ;)
  • Options
    Monday to Wednesday?!
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,149
    Money money money.
    Sunak's defining moment according to Rishi.
  • Options
    I'd have to eat a LOT of meals out to get the £500 I was promised
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,708
    geoffw said:

Money money money.
    Sunak's defining moment according to Rishi.

Wot no voucher? Just a 2 for 1 at the Harvester?
  • Options
    Oh yay Pb Tories wanking over their leader
  • Options
    contrariancontrarian Posts: 5,818

Maybe that is the reason Starmer finds it so difficult to critique Johnson.

State intervention and spending on a scale he could only dream of!
  • Options
    Where's my 500 quid?
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,282

Monday to Wednesday?!

Wednesday is the new Thursday is the new Friday.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

If the job / employer are no longer viable a grand won't save it. But they can say "we offered cash"
  • Options

kinabalu said:

Starmer Q1: You're blaming care workers
    Johnson A1: I take responsibility myself, I pay tribute to care workers
    Starmer Q2: You're blaming care workers
    Johnson A2: I pay tribute to care workers and we are investing in care homes
    Starmer Q3: You're blaming care workers, what do you say to them?
    Johnson A3: I pay tribute to care workers and we are investing in care homes

Except he's not taking responsibility himself. He's blaming care workers.
    Except he's not, he literally said "I take fully responsibility".
    Ah, I see.

So saying "I take responsibility" means he's taken responsibility.

What a lovely world you live in. It's like Camberwick Green!
  • Options

Grow up
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

That is a great idea. Pack the pubs out!

It is getting too surreal around here.

Later peeps!
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    And I commend this leadership bid to the House.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,976
    Mrs C, I'm willing to concede that the economic impact of Corbyn would be comparable to a global pandemic.
  • Options
    A lot of this is very welcome, but the reality is that it is tinkering around the edges.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,914
    Meals out monday to wednesday ?! Lol...
  • Options

MaxPB said:

That doesn’t dispute what I said. This policy will be so easily abused, keep a worker on for a few months get a free bonus then fire them.
    Your thinking is two dimensional. By keeping people in work and generating an economic recovery in the fourth quarter there would be no reason to sack anyone in January. It's trying to jump start a jobs based virtuous circle recovery. It's a policy which is very cheap for what it is trying to achieve.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

If a company does that they will own it.

Why would the company do that if they're trading successfully following reopening and the worker is doing productive work?
  • Options

I'd have to eat a LOT of meals out to get the £500 I was promised

£10 max Mon-Weds in Aug, 13 days, so breakfast, brunch, lunch and dinner takes you to £520! NHS might need some more obesity funding though.
  • Options

Grow up
    Oh do sod off, stop telling me what to do you eternal bore
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Meals out monday to wednesday ?! Lol...

In August.

Silly gimmick that one unless there's more to it that I've not seen. Should have just done the £1000 etc
  • Options
    Doddsy with the hospital pass of opposing a plan for not putting £ into jobs when it just put £££ into jobs
  • Options

Insofar as this is anything more than a stunt, I don't think this manifesto is going to be snapping up more Biden than Trump voters.

https://twitter.com/guardian/status/1280822437391761410?s=20

Could be a case of if you vote Kanye you aint black.
  • Options

And by the time January rolls around we should be well into a recovery so no need to sack anyone and potentially bringing more people back.
  • Options

No wealth tax for the rich, money given to employers (spit!) and landlords (spit!) rather than to hard working people? How does the Chancellor propose to pay for all this largesse, how many valuable public services are going to have to be cut?

But yeah, good luck to Starmer, not easy to oppose that one.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,914
    Should have been the day for my £500 lol
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Ah, I see.

Yes it does.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

The PB Tory thing was a tim/mickpork gag. They were clever and witty enough to make it (sometimes) funny.

You, Mr Senator, are no mickpork and also have failed to notice that most pb tories aren't any more, anyway, and that analyses of pmq have been scrupulously fair ever since sks took over. So, OK, you think pbtories are thick and prejudiced, but could we just take that as read from here on in?
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483

You’ll never know the answer to that it’s pure speculation.
  • Options
    Would it be easier for an opposition to cross examine Rishi Sunak from the right than from the left?

A right leaning opposition could stand up and say Sunak is consigning our grandchildren to a future of destitution deprivation and penury. What selfishness, what self obsession, what rank recklessnes!

It could tear into him for super wasteful spending on pet socialist projects blah blah blah.

All labour can say is good on yah, son
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,287
    edited July 2020
    The good thing about these measures is they are things that are very easy for the public to understand.

It's always best politically to do things the public / media will understand - people will talk about them and the message then spreads.

Big picture message politically is he is really doing specific things.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Or if pubs keep their prices the same its an extra 50-75p onto their bottom line off a pint. Which means they can trade more successfully even with a slower business and social distancing.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

If the job / employer are no longer viable a grand won't save it. But they can say "we offered cash"
    No bit jobs aren't going to fall into the simple columns of viable and not viable though. Almost all of them will fall in the middle somewhere and an inducement will hopefully push the threshold for retaining someone a bit higher and help generate an economic recovery.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,663
    Pulpstar said:

I almost wonder if the voucher scheme was trailed by someone wanting to make sure Mr Sunak doesn't get too popular too quickly.
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,988
    Sandpit said:

Yes - that was my first calculation :)
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,052
    Sandpit said:

A month ago: "Calls for UK to copy Germany with VAT cut and stimulus"

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2020/06/04/germany-launches-130bn-stimulus-kickstart-economy/
  • Options
    nichomar said:

Its more than just speculation. We know what they wanted to nationalise even at the best of times.
  • Options
    ArtistArtist Posts: 1,882
    edited July 2020
    I wasn't expecting a £500 voucher but UK retail needs urgent help.
  • Options
    Some interesting ideas from Sunak, but it is tinkering around the edges. The best that what he has announced will deliver is a few marginal gains. He'll get some great headlines though - which may make what is coming worse.
  • Options
    edited July 2020

kinabalu said:

Starmer bested Johnson at PMQs again then?

No I think it was probably a Johnson victory on balance. But Johnson isn’t at all “good” like Tories here would have you believe.

He’s a poor Commons performer and a poor orator. End of story.

Starmer can be good, Johnson never has been. Johnson has only ever won when Starmer had an off day and was perceived as the least bad, Johnson never delivered a killer blow.
    OK, fair enough. And, yes, not to worry. Even the blind squirrel occasionally stumbles over a nut.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Pulpstar said:

I almost wonder if the voucher scheme was trailed by someone wanting to make sure Mr Sunak doesn't get too popular too quickly.
    One of the reasons I like PB is some people are even more cynical of politicians than me. That would make a lot of sense.
  • Options
    FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 3,885
    edited July 2020
    Who was trailing this £500 voucher? All I saw was that some think tank or other had proposed it. Perhaps I don't read the right papers.

If I was the opposition, I'd try and push a rumour of such a thing just to make sure everyone was disappointed with the actual announcements. It wouldn't be hard to do.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

And by the time January rolls around we should be well into a recovery so no need to sack anyone and potentially bringing more people back.

I am not sure it will work like that, unfortunately.

• Options
    ClippPClippP Posts: 1,684

Would it be easier for an opposition to cross examine Rishi Sunak from the right than from the left?

A right leaning opposition could stand up and say Sunak is consigning our grandchildren to a future of destitution deprivation and penury. What selfishness, what self obsession, what rank recklessnes!

It could tear into him for super wasteful spending on pet socialist projects blah blah blah.

The Lib Dems could do that, I suppose.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,330
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Your thinking is two dimensional. By keeping people in work and generating an economic recovery in the fourth quarter there would be no reason to sack anyone in January. It's trying to jump start a jobs based virtuous circle recovery. It's a policy which is very cheap for what it is trying to achieve.
    There is a "stickiness" to jobs - and the structures within companies that employers form.

The point about the furlough was to not break through that, by keeping people rather than firing them.

This means a larger chance that the company can come back to something like normal operation, and faster. Which in turn helps the companies it deals with, owes money to etc.

The bonus is to create a financial incentive (but not too large) to keep people through the initial pain as things start up.
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,988
    IshmaelZ said:

And I commend this leadership bid to the House.

Johnson is beaming at him - that's my boy - like a proud father.
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

Sandpit said:

It would be a really good idea to keep that 5% rate permanently, would make a big difference to people evaluating domestic vs foreign holidays for example, as well as encouraging eating out and using pubs vs supermarket drinks.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

I don't see why it wouldn't.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

There is a "stickiness" to jobs - and the structures within companies that employers form.

The point about the furlough was to not break through that, by keeping people rather than firing them.

This means a larger chance that the company can come back to something like normal operation, and faster. Which in turn helps the companies it deals with, owes money to etc.

The bonus is to create a financial incentive (but not too large) to keep people through the initial pain as things start up.
    Yes, all the support is helping the recovery be V-shaped rather than U-shaped.
  • Options

Some interesting ideas from Sunak, but it is tinkering around the edges. The best that what he has announced will deliver is a few marginal gains. He'll get some great headlines though - which may make what is coming worse.

Its not just tinkering.

A 15% cut in VAT is absolutely mammoth for hospitality. Especially for food - since there's no input VAT on raw food, VAT hits the entire bill for hospitality businesses. Either hospitality can cut prices now and/or more they can pocket some of this to pad out the bottom line thus keeping their employees in work and allowing a recovery.
  • Options
    Is the hospitality VAT cut a temp measure like stamp duty? or is cheaper outdoor beer the new normal?
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,282
    Excellent article on the Graun.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/jul/08/lockdown-pointing-finger-rule-breakers-britons-pints

@contrarian one for you especially but every word is spot on imo.
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483

nichomar said:

Its more than just speculation. We know what they wanted to nationalise even at the best of times.
    You haven’t got a clue how he would have responded in the face of the current crisis as I say pure speculation.
  • Options
    ClippP said:

The Lib Dems could do that, I suppose.
    I don;'t think anybody WILL do it, to be honest, but I just wondered if it would be easier to.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

By the time January rolls around, we are likely to be dealing with a second wave.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2020/06/04/germany-launches-130bn-stimulus-kickstart-economy/
    Nope, not that one. Germany cut the VAT rate, what Sunak has announced is target relief at certain industries and products, which is most definitely not allowed under EU rules. See Tampons and domestic fuel for examples.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Ah, I see.

Yes it does.
    Decided to give you a chance here but if you don't take it this is going on the list.

Does just saying "I take responsibility" mean that a person has in fact taken responsibility?
  • Options

Its not just tinkering.

A 15% cut in VAT is absolutely mammoth for hospitality. Especially for food - since there's no input VAT on raw food, VAT hits the entire bill for hospitality businesses. Either hospitality can cut prices now and/or more they can pocket some of this to pad out the bottom line thus keeping their employees in work and allowing a recovery.

It means very little if they are not open or people are not visiting, though. As I say, these are interesting ideas, but they are not going to make a huge amount of difference.

• Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,387
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Nope, not that one. Germany cut the VAT rate, what Sunak has announced is target relief at certain industries and products, which is most definitely not allowed under EU rules. See Tampons and domestic fuel for examples.
    He's moving them to the lower rate of 5%, which he could do under EU VAT rules (as indeed was announced for tampons and domestic fuel). He can't zero rate under EU rules.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Barnesian said:

Sandpit said:

It would be a really good idea to keep that 5% rate permanently, would make a big difference to people evaluating domestic vs foreign holidays for example, as well as encouraging eating out and using pubs vs supermarket drinks.
    Eating out has always been punitively taxed by VAT.

Buy a supermarket pizza and there is 0% VAT on it.
    Buy a restaurant/takeout one and 20% VAT is slapped onto it.

I don't see why supermarkets need to be incentivised by the tax system like that.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

We're still following EU law, so anything we can do now, we could have done without Brexit.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,189

Its not just tinkering.

It means very little if they are not open or people are not visiting, though. As I say, these are interesting ideas, but they are not going to make a huge amount of difference.

Yep, the politicians and media are utterly deluding themselves if they think this sort of thing will make a blind bit of difference.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Ah, I see.

Yes it does.
    Decided to give you a chance here but if you don't take it this is going on the list.

Does just saying "I take responsibility" mean that a person has in fact taken responsibility?
    Yes. It is literally what the words say and mean.
  • Options
    edited July 2020

Is the hospitality VAT cut a temp measure like stamp duty? or is cheaper outdoor beer the new normal?

Beer isnt included, its for eating out food, non alcoholic drinks, accommodation and attractions. And til 12 January 2021.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,850
    Dods pre written response almost as bad as SKS at PMQs

FDR joke the buck stops here was already answered in PMQs

• Options
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Because in the great scheme of things £1,000 is not a huge amount. You'd generally keep someone on anyway if that was the only issue. It may help a few smaller busiensses which are very dependent on cashflow, but I suspect that most businesses will be looking at a longer term horizon than January. I know we are.

This discussion has been closed.