Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » From a betting perspective the dangers of “fighting the last w

Comments

• Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,109

Beth Rigby - Boris to take questions about the lap-down...

Cricky, what has Boris been up to.

You bastard, you just had to conjure that mental image, didn’t you?
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,187
    Could Starmer have done a statement after previous PM statements, such as at the start of lockdown?
  • Options
    Alphabet_SoupAlphabet_Soup Posts: 2,733

Didn't IDS make a similar address in the run up to the Iraq war?

https://twitter.com/DehennaDavison/status/1259885015502127104

Yes its quite standard to get a right of reply as LOTO - and its far lower scale and will have a fraction of the audience. Honestly absurd to fret about it.
    Indeed. There is obviously a perfectly simple, straight-forward pandemic policy that would avoid the pitfalls and ambiguities the government has encountered due to their prejudice and incompetence. Tonight is the first opportunity for Sir Keir to explain what it is. An excellent use of taxpayers' money.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,298

Beth Rigby - Boris to take questions about the lap-down...

Cricky, what has Boris been up to.

Talking of lap dancers....

Drive-Thru Strip Club Serves Up Sexy (And Safe) Solution For Coronavirus Blues

Lucky Devil Lounge in Oregon has come up with yet another innovative, fun and sexy idea to keep income — and customers — coming during the pandemic.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/drive-thru-strip-club-coronavirus_n_5eac4c0ec5b624b39692963d

I wonder if Stringfellows and the Peppermint Hippos will do something similar here?
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    tlg86 said:

Could Starmer have done a statement after previous PM statements, such as at the start of lockdown?

Yes, it is in the BBC guidelines.

https://twitter.com/Millar_Colin/status/1259905525250211842
  • Options
    This would be so funny if the Dildo Brothers got their club relegated via PPG.

https://twitter.com/stevedaviesseo/status/1259902808326897671
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    edited May 2020

Andy_JS said:
    To say the "peak" was the 8th, on the basis of the daily data, but to completely ignore the 7-day average that puts the peak much later, is I think misleading.

Why are people so invested in the peak being the 8th rather than later?
    Because a lot of people back on the 14th or so said Sweden was "past the peak" and they've invested a lot of their clout in being 'right'.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Yes, except of course that lockdown dates from the 23rd March and he only became leader on the 4th April.

So it would have been Corbyn waffling on about how allotments should have been excluded.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    tlg86 said:

Yes, if he has something to say.

So he should too. Imagine if we didn't permit the LOTO to get a right of reply and the government put the nation into lockdown for nefarious reasons and the LOTO wanted to say why we shouldn't be locked down but couldn't get a right of reply? Its absurd and preposterous on the face of it.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    FF43 said:

Alistair said:

Andy_JS said:
    People are really committed to making the 8th the peak.

Literally any other bucketing of data makes it the 15th/16th.

It doesn't even change the message much. But all it takes is a single death being added to the 15th and they'll all need to start talking about the double peak.
    That might actually mean Sweden is on a plateau rather than a decline due to the lagginess of its data. (I think it probably is).
    Based on the historical amounts that have been added they are on a (very) gentle decline.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    Its the A-team tonight.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

tlg86 said:

Yes, except of course that lockdown dates from the 23rd March and he only became leader on the 4th April.

So it would have been Corbyn waffling on about how allotments should have been excluded.
    I'd forgotten about that rather important point.
  • Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486
    Dehenna Davidson rattled?

Not so easy when Lab have a credible leader is it?
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

ydoethur said:

tlg86 said:

It just feels longer given all the crazy shit we’ve had in the last few weeks.
  • Options
    fox327fox327 Posts: 366
    I saw a comment on the Lockdown Sceptics site, which said that the herd immunity threshold could be much lower than assumed, and it could make sense.

Some people are more socially connected than others due to their jobs and social status, so if they get infected they become super-spreaders. Suppose that they are immune when they recover and cannot transmit the infection. This would break up the human social network, as a recovered and immune person who is socially connected to another person cannot infect them. Complex network theory can then be used to prove that this could disrupt the epidemic due to the nodes (people) with the highest number of connections to other people being the first people to become immune to the virus. Depending on the properties of the network, this can retard the epidemic faster than the removal of many more people due to their recovery who have a smaller number of social connections. It will be interesting to see what happens in the next few weeks as restrictions are reduced in countries across Europe.
  • Options
    I'm confused....
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

ydoethur said:

tlg86 said:

About six times a day I have to check the date and the year.

Part of me simultaneously still thinks March was only yesterday and a decade ago.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961
    Freggles said:

Dehenna Davidson rattled?

Not so easy when Lab have a credible leader is it?

Rattled!! :o
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,903
    Andrew said:

I might be wrong, but i thought i heard we were getting something this week.

Imma guess ....... 14.32835%. Exactly.

Means we need Rt <1.16. Maybe higher if kids don't transmit?</p>
    No, Rt needs to be below 1. If 1/7 of the population have had the virus an Rt of 1 would indicate a 'but for 1/7th of the population being immune' Rt of 1.16.

But Rt as measured at that point with that immunity needs to be below 1 still.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,645
    RobD said:

Right of reply, it's happened in the past.
    Young MPs
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,059

What a very silly lady.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961
    More complicated plots that are impossible to understand.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,059
    ydoethur said:

tlg86 said:

It was so nice to hear Corns banging on about inequality today.

A distant memory from those heady, carefree pre-Covid-19 days.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,645
    edited May 2020
    Scott_xP said:
    Much easier to be an Opposition rather than a Government right now, but Starmer has the right skills and temperament, so that at the least he has the potential to be what is needed to lead (politically lead, not just rally the converted). It'll be very interesting to see him develop.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:
    Wow there's a shock that commentator supports the opposition. Thanks for that dignified input Scott that changes everything
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    Watched the Starmer message, he's a slightly less geeky Ed Miliband. I don't think he's going to win.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,581
    They've updated their graph. Still no Y axis.
  • Options
    Too much waffle on this rule about "meeting people". It is simple, but making it sound way more complicated.
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    Scott_xP said:
    Hugely impressive by Starmer - Johnson's got a big challenge on his hands.
  • Options
    They really should have a clear info-graphic about meeting / exercise.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,828
    HYUFD said:

They might do, though if Trump is re elected the odds would not favour Pence or Haley.

No party has won a third term in the White House since 1988.

Pence, Haley or maybe Romney might have a better chance of winning against President Biden or his VP if he wins in November

I suppose a lot depends on the scale of the defeat. IF the GOP contrive to lose the Senate as well as the White House, I think Pence's chances will be reduced.

If the GOP lose narrowly and hold the Senate, I think Pence could well be the challenger to Biden (or whoever) in 2024 but that's not saying he would be unchallenged. Haley might well enter the race but what about current FL Governor Ron DeSantis as the GOP challenger?

I suppose DeSantis could run as VP to Pence in 2024 but as you say historically winning that third term is a big ask.

Perhaps Pence's best chance at the top job is to emulate Nixon, lose and then sit out the next election so even in 2028 he could run against a Democrat - not likely to be Biden.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:
    Starmer’s exactly the most dangerous opponent for Johnson because he accentuates all Johnson’s weaknesses. His hesitancy, his confusion, his lack of grasp of detail, his disorganisation, his bluster, his demagoguery. He’s also somebody who cannot be dismissed, as Corbyn could be, as a lightweight threat to national security. It’s disheartening to reflect that Corbyn would never have said ‘Labour will always put the national interest first’ (although that does in itself mean Starmer was wrong, of course).

Whether that means Starmer will come up with a coherent policy offering (the lack of which was ultimately what did for Corbyn) is another question. But if he had been Labour leader at the last election it’s much less likely I would have abstained.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:
    He answered the first one, albeit with too much waffle, not the second one.
  • Options
    ArtistArtist Posts: 1,882
    I'm surprised Boris didn't have access to these questions beforehand?
  • Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    What a shambles . Just answer the damn question Bozo .
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,913
    edited May 2020

Watching the parliamentary debate, Boris was fine and on reasonable form, except for a 3-minute spell when he had to answer Starmer's precise questions. Responding to Starmer he seemed to fall apart, was rather nervous, and bumbled a lot. It seems to me that, for whatever reason, he rather fears (and actually respects) Starmer, and is worried about his own ability to master the detail he will need as this continues over the coming months and years in their sparring sessions. Boris knows that he can't just swat Starmer aside with a joke, a bon mot or a bit of Latin, but needs to take him seriously. So, I expect Starmer will, over time, get the upper hand through his methodical approach, and Boris's reputation will take a hit.

If that does become the case I expect Boris/Dom will find an excuse to do away with PMQs. I think you can also be pretty certain that at the next GE he won't be doing any head-to-head debates with Starmer. (he'll be ducking it like Andrew Neill interview last time). Probably make little difference to those who view a GE in the same light as X-factor.
  • Options
    Having the read the government document on the next steps of the Covid-19 strategy the plans sound eminently sensible but Boris Johnson and the leaking/spin on it makes it sound like a clusterfuck.
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,703
    stodge said:

HYUFD said:

They might do, though if Trump is re elected the odds would not favour Pence or Haley.

No party has won a third term in the White House since 1988.

Pence, Haley or maybe Romney might have a better chance of winning against President Biden or his VP if he wins in November

I suppose a lot depends on the scale of the defeat. IF the GOP contrive to lose the Senate as well as the White House, I think Pence's chances will be reduced.

If the GOP lose narrowly and hold the Senate, I think Pence could well be the challenger to Biden (or whoever) in 2024 but that's not saying he would be unchallenged. Haley might well enter the race but what about current FL Governor Ron DeSantis as the GOP challenger?

I suppose DeSantis could run as VP to Pence in 2024 but as you say historically winning that third term is a big ask.

Perhaps Pence's best chance at the top job is to emulate Nixon, lose and then sit out the next election so even in 2028 he could run against a Democrat - not likely to be Biden.
    Can't see Pence or DeSantis having a good pandemic, so that would work against them.
  • Options
    Man is Boris a waffley speaker at the moment. The childcare question was a really good one, something the government hasn't thought about by the looks of it.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:
    He said that earlier today too during the questions from MPs.
  • Options

Having the read the government document on the next steps of the Covid-19 strategy the plans sound eminently sensible but Boris Johnson and the leaking/spin on it makes it sound like a clusterfuck.

I cant think of a logical reason why they didnt release it at the same time as the speech.
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,046

Scott_xP said:
    Yet again he ignores the open goal of migration control.

That might impress middle class stay-at-homers and the metropolitan posh but he'll struggle to win back northern working class voters until he starts showing some empathy.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,581
    The numbers returning to work are dropping by the minute.
  • Options

I cant think of a logical reason why they didnt release it at the same time as the speech.
    Or just release it and then have the speech afterwards summing it up.
  • Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 3,936
    fox327 said:

I saw a comment on the Lockdown Sceptics site, which said that the herd immunity threshold could be much lower than assumed, and it could make sense.

Some people are more socially connected than others due to their jobs and social status, so if they get infected they become super-spreaders. Suppose that they are immune when they recover and cannot transmit the infection. This would break up the human social network, as a recovered and immune person who is socially connected to another person cannot infect them. Complex network theory can then be used to prove that this could disrupt the epidemic due to the nodes (people) with the highest number of connections to other people being the first people to become immune to the virus. Depending on the properties of the network, this can retard the epidemic faster than the removal of many more people due to their recovery who have a smaller number of social connections. It will be interesting to see what happens in the next few weeks as restrictions are reduced in countries across Europe.

There are an awful lot of dependings and supposes in there.

Unfortunately I think the harsh reality is that this is an illness with around a 1% mortality rate, largely killing the elderly and infirm, and that between 60 and 80% of us are all going to get it over the next year or so.

It is a reality that few are willing to face up to yet. Whether they are insisting we can all live under lockdown for the next two years (gambling that a vaccine can be developed in that time, and ignoring the economy), or arguing that it might not be as bad as all that because of super spreaders developing immunity or icebergs of undetected cases or whatever.

The harsh reality is that most of us will get it and some will die. And there is very little that government can do about it, save for a little fiddling round the edges.

People hate feeling powerless. They hate it even more when their gods are powerless. As an astute commentator in a previous thread noticed, we have ascribed many of the omnipotent and omnipresent qualities we used to ascribe to our gods to the machinations of government. It is wilful self-deception.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:
    WTF Dan?

No is an answer.

Too many people in this country aren't happy to take No as an answer.
  • Options

Someone said to me the government are treating Covid-19 as an election campaign, like Covid-19 gives a crap what the government says or leaks.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,865

Your post can be edited to be more succinct

Boris Johnson, clusterfuck.
  • Options

Politicians are often guilty of too much self-damaging chatter and thinking themselves cleverer than they are.
  • Options

WTF Dan?

No is an answer.

https://twitter.com/robertshrimsley/status/1259913636547637251
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,826
    Boris "Of course i hope we develop a virus"

FFS
  • Options
    I think what they are trying to do is get people from the mindset of stay at home at all costs to a mindset of one that is getting back to work in the next couple of weeks...but doing a really bad job of communicating it.
  • Options
    JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 6,006

Scott_xP said:
    He doesn't seem to understand devolution
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    Scott_xP said:

WTF Dan?

No is an answer.

https://twitter.com/robertshrimsley/status/1259913636547637251
    Don't be an idiot. It was a good question which got an answer: No.
  • Options

Don't be an idiot. It was a good question which got an answer: No.

https://twitter.com/stephenkb/status/1259914126006026241
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:
    Anyone who can't work from home but can go to work in a covid secure environment, has their own transport to get there and doesn't have childcare issues.

Is that difficult?
  • Options
    Just watching the latest episode of Killing Eve.

'David Icke is a very smart man.'
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:
    My friend reopened his sheet metal fabrication business today.

He informs me that the lads were delighted to be back at work.

:+1:
  • Options
    NerysHughesNerysHughes Posts: 3,347
    It’s the Scott retweet zone
  • Options

Perhaps you could engage the substance of the tweets?

Or is moaning the only thing you're good at?
  • Options
    Slightly flippantly and not wishing to be a kill-joy but all this meeting in the park, exercising in the park etc does kind of assume we aren't going to get the usual British summer. Given that we have had 6 weeks of good weather what are the odds of it now pissing down for most of June and July? All the outdoors stuff would be wonderful if we were living in Spain or the South of France.
  • Options
  • Options
    It definitely seems like the government are going with personal responsibility...it didn't go well when they tried it rather than a lockdown....not sure it is going to go well now.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:
    Anyone who can't work from home but can go to work in a covid secure environment, has their own transport to get there and doesn't have childcare issues.

Is that difficult?
    Its quite amazing but that seems to apply to everyone where I work.

And it must also apply to the millions of people who have never stopped working.
  • Options
    contrariancontrarian Posts: 5,818

https://twitter.com/carsjung/status/1259908564220600320?s=20</blockquot

The political risk, absolutely. The economic risk? paying people good salaries to do nothing with money you don;t have??

FFS.

• Options

Perhaps you could engage the substance of the tweets?

Or is moaning the only thing you're good at?
    I've been trying but if there was any real substance to them it would be meaningful to engage.

People acting as if everyone in the entire country uses public transport (85% of workers don't in normal circumstances) etc are just imbeciles.

Yes some people may not be able to go back to work, that's why they're saying those who can should. Its not complicated just because it doesn't apply to everyone. And if you ask a question and get a "No" as your answer don't whine the question wasn't answered.
  • Options
    BluestBlueBluestBlue Posts: 4,556

Indeed. If one wanted to read an endless torrent of bullshit tweets, one would go and read ... Twitter!
  • Options
    I am no fan of BoZo, and I expect him to spout meaningless bullshit, but the level to which they are fucking this up is impressive in whole new ways
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,826

Just watching the latest episode of Killing Eve.

'David Icke is a very smart man.'

On a par in the "smart" category with Villanelle
  • Options
    humbuggerhumbugger Posts: 377

Scott_xP said:

Is that difficult?

And it must also apply to the millions of people who have never stopped working.
    It also applies to those who are not suffering from Brexit Derangement Syndrome and to those who are capable of using a bit of common sense.
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    edited May 2020

Scott_xP said:
    WTF Dan?

No is an answer.

The more explicit answer would have been as follows:

* Childcare and schools may or may not be opening for a long time, and even if they do the children will only return part-time until this is all over, because (a) social distancing and (b) a lot of the nurseries probably won't survive financially
    * Consequently, a parent will be stuck at home babysitting the kids for at least part of every week for the duration
    * Therefore, if parents can't fit their work around their childcare commitments then they will have to give up work. This will create a lot of households with only one breadwinner where there were previously two, and a lot more living off Universal Credit for the duration

He won't say that because it's too grim. But it's true. The furlough scheme won't be around to keep these working parents in a wage forever, and employers won't keep paying them to sit at home after that just because they plead kiddycare.

The parents will end up losing their jobs. Other people who don't have the same responsibilities will take them on instead.
  • Options
    NerysHughesNerysHughes Posts: 3,347

Scott_xP said:

Is that difficult?

As I keep saying where do people think food in supermarkets comes from. Millions of people are still at work in a safe environment following government guidelines. People on furlough seem are quite happy for them to continue at work as long as they don’t have to
  • Options
    state_go_awaystate_go_away Posts: 5,417
    Great news on resumption of golf on Wednesday
  • Options
    Fysics_TeacherFysics_Teacher Posts: 6,060
    MattW said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:
    I’m suddenly liking Boris Johnson a lot more knowing that thanks to him we can still travel to France.
    An opportunity for Liz Truss to strike a deal on cheese supplies?
    That* is a disgrace!

*Comment.
    There are enough cheeses in the UK to let the poor dear try a different one every day for nearly 2 years.

Another metromedia individual needing broader horizons. :-)
    I think she's from the US, so she probably has enough to last about a week...
  • Options
    JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 6,006

It hasn't been written? Certainly it probably hasn't been completed and signed off
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,077
    edited May 2020

It definitely seems like the government are going with personal responsibility...it didn't go well when they tried it rather than a lockdown....not sure it is going to go well now.

That would be fine if they just said that.

The problem is that people like @Philip_Thompson are defending what they want the Government to say, not what the Government has actually said.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:
    WTF Dan?

No is an answer.

* Childcare and schools may or may not be opening for a long time, and even if they do the children will only return part-time until this is all over, because (a) social distancing and (b) a lot of the nurseries probably won't survive financially
    * Consequently, a parent will be stuck at home babysitting the kids for at least part of every week for the duration
    * Therefore, if parents can't fit their work around their childcare commitments then they will have to give up work. This will create a lot of households with only one breadwinner where there were previously two, and a lot more living off Universal Credit for the duration

He won't say that because it's too grim. But it's true. The furlough scheme won't be around to keep these working parents in a wage forever, and employers won't keep paying them to sit at home after that just because they plead kiddycare.

The parents will end up losing their jobs. Other people who don't have the same responsibilities will take them on instead.
    I don't think they also want to say that until a vaccine is found, this will be the new normal. Instead trying to focus on some potential goodies in a couple of months.

I think a lot of people probably still think another month or two and be back to how things were. But the reality is, this could be all our new normals for the next 2 years.
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,715

Scott_xP said:
    WTF Dan?

No is an answer.

Good post. I`m concerned that the public are getting the impression that if they don`t go to work they can continue to draw furlough payments when the truth is (I think) that only eligible firms - i.e. those that are barred from opening - can apply on behalf of their employees. I can`t believe that no one is asking for clarification on this, either this afternoon in the Commons or this evening.
  • Options
    contrariancontrarian Posts: 5,818
    edited May 2020
    Scott_xP said:
    Ina few weeks time the government is going to be wondering why so few workers have gone back to work, are going back to work or will be going back to work in the future.

They'll be wondering why so few businesses are starting up again as the spending soars ever higher.

Every time I read the news, the size of what I imagine our budget deficit to be in say six months time just grows. From grand canyon to wide Sargasso sea.

What Johnson has shut down he will have the devil's own job opening up again. And that is why long lockdown is a gargantuan mistake.

• Options
    tlg86 said:

Scott_xP said:
    My friend reopened his sheet metal fabrication business today.

He informs me that the lads were delighted to be back at work.

:+1:
    A man goes to his boss and asks for a day off to take his wife and four children shopping.

THe boss angrily refuses.

The man emotionally thanks the boss for being so understanding and getting him out of such a dreadful chore.
  • Options
    I actually think that Simon's question should prompt a rethink on schools for the children of people who can go back to work but wouldn't be able to without having childcare. It's definitely a huge oversight for many, many working age people. My brother in law comes to mind.
  • Options

Great news on resumption of golf on Wednesday

It is, yes. Particularly since I live 300 yards from my golf course.
  • Options
    Having spent an entire day listening to people complaining they don't understand the message BoZo is trying to convey, he switches to French...

Genius!
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,715

Scott_xP said:
    Ina few weeks time the government is going to be wondering why so few workers have gone back to work, are going back to work or will be going back to work in the future.

They'll be wondering why so few businesses are starting up again as the spending soars ever higher.

Every time I read the news, the size of what I imagine our budget deficit to be in say six months time just grows. From grand canyon to wide Sargasso sea.

What Johnson has shut down he will have the devil's own job opening up again. And that is why long lockdown is a gargantuan mistake.

So your assumption, contrary to others, is that if an employee decides not to go back to work, even though the employer is operational again, he/she will still be able to draw furlough?
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,901
    Good lord , just seen Sir Keirs response on the news. So stiff and dull. He will never be PM
  • Options

Tories already limbering up to try to muzzle Sir Keir
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,077
    Whichever political party you support, and even recognising how difficult this must be for the Government, you cannot deny that this has been a shit show of epic proportions.
This discussion has been closed.