Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » From a betting perspective the dangers of “fighting the last w

Comments

• Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,985

Devolution is a real mess, isn't it? One of Labour's disasters.

What would your alternative have been?
    Tory SOP was to float around and promise all sorts of guff then completely ignore it when in office. I'm sure that would be exactly Nabavi's preferred alternative.
    Sounds pretty sensible.
    Hasn't that been our strategy for the last two hundred years? ;)
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,884
    Can anyone explain why deaths in all settings is lower than deaths in Hospital Settings only?

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/coronavirus-covid-19-information-for-the-public#number-of-cases-and-deaths
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,236
    DavidL said:

Boris calling for the British public's "common sense"

Damn right too!

Yep, once we know that the great British public will voluntarily limit themselves to 3 cream eggs up the bum we can rest easy.
    Surely Tunnock teacakes for SNP supporters. Have you no national pride?

As you very well know Tunnocks Teacakes are a Unionist confectionery and therefore banned from all Nat tradesmen's entrances. The preferred Nat bum sweet would be home made tablet or perhaps something from Lidl.
  • Options

Can anyone explain why deaths in all settings is lower than deaths in Hospital Settings only?

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/coronavirus-covid-19-information-for-the-public#number-of-cases-and-deaths

I remember reading something previously about it being due to the way the numbers are collated. I think it all smooths out in the end.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,347
    It just shows how far Corbyn has fallen that most everyone on here dismisses him
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Foxy said:

dr_spyn said:

Are the French confused by the message from The Élysée Palace?

https://twitter.com/EmmanuelMacron/status/1259540093305569280

Probably. It seems to be in some sort of foreign language.
    Those French! It's like they have a different word for everything.
    Even entrepreneur?
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,310

It just shows how far Corbyn has fallen that most everyone on here dismisses him

But almost everyone on here has always dismissed him.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,356
    Members of the Faculty of Advocates have just been granted key worker status. Means I or any member of my family have the right to be tested if we become symptomatic. Whoopee. Not sure I have ever been thought "key" before and the less said about being a worker the better.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,137
    edited May 2020
    3 SNP questions so far....

(well, 7 if you include Blackford's 5...)
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,356

DavidL said:

Damn right too!

Yep, once we know that the great British public will voluntarily limit themselves to 3 cream eggs up the bum we can rest easy.

As you very well know Tunnocks Teacakes are a Unionist confectionery and therefore banned from all Nat tradesmen's entrances. The preferred Nat bum sweet would be home made tablet or perhaps something from Lidl.
    I stand corrected. Apologies.

(and what a waste of tablet)
  • Options

Compare and contrast the ranty absurdity of Jezbollah's question which Bozza just bats away vs the forensic take apart of the massive contradictions in the various bits of government advice

No Labour member should be allowed to use the term Jezbollah IMO.

Not very comradely is it?
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,736
    Ave_it said:

Typical Corbyn - wants everyone on welfare forever...

The Tories are presiding over such massive spending that it trashes public finances for generations - Labour`s response?: "You`re not spending enough".
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,062
    edited May 2020

malcolmg said:

RobD said:

Starmer mentions that all international arrivals will be subject to quarantine, not just those by air.

Good
    Will do a lot of good for food deliveries I am sure.
    Access through France allows imports
    So not all arrivals to UK will be quarantined then.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,291
    Any word on dentistry. Months of no routine treatment must be storing up a hell of a lot of issues.
  • Options
    Fysics_TeacherFysics_Teacher Posts: 6,060

They cover different date ranges I think.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,785
    9. Devolved administrations

9.1 Does this guidance apply across the UK?

This guidance applies in England – people in Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland should follow the specific rules in those parts of the UK.

If you live in Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland additional guidance is available:

Scotland
    Wales
    Northern Ireland
  • Options
    nichomar said:

Damn right too!

I'm not especially a fan of putting anything up your bum, but if that is what floats your boat then a cream egg as an item that melts sounds like a better idea than plastic or metal objects.
    Waste of a cream egg if you ask me
    3 cream eggs even
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

RobD said:

Starmer mentions that all international arrivals will be subject to quarantine, not just those by air.

Good
    I thought you knew Boris has done a deal with Macron to permit access to the UK from France and indeed Ireland.
  • Options
    Labour MP: "No-one should be expected to return to work when it isn`t safe".

FFS it`s never going to be safe!
  • Options

3 SNP questions so far....

(well, 7 if you include Blackford's 5...)

7 lies in the answers including his 5
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,299
    Boris:

50,000 bounceback loans totalling £5 billion

Implies average of £100k

But maximum bounceback loan is £50k!?
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

nichomar said:

Damn right too!

I'm not especially a fan of putting anything up your bum, but if that is what floats your boat then a cream egg as an item that melts sounds like a better idea than plastic or metal objects.
    3 cream eggs even
    In fact it was 9 in the original source material.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,282
    edited May 2020

I have thought him a knob for 40 years, about 15 years more than I have thought the same about Boris.
  • Options
    From 29 April, figures for deaths include all cases where there is a positive confirmed test for coronavirus. The figures include deaths with lab-confirmed COVID-19 in all settings, not just those in hospital, and this provides us with a single figure on an equivalent basis for the whole of the UK.

These UK figures are compiled from validated data provided by each of the four nations of the UK. Figures from Health Protection Scotland, Public Health Wales and the Public Health Agency (Northern Ireland) have always included tested cases outside hospital. Figures for England from 29 April onwards are provided by Public Health England and draw together several different data sources, including data from NHS England and Improvement, to produce this broader measure.

This approach allows us to compile deaths data on a daily basis using up-to-date figures across all settings. The data includes deaths with lab-confirmed COVID-19 reported as at 5pm the previous day. The amount of time between occurrence of death and reporting in these figures may vary slightly and in some cases could be a few days, so figures at 5pm may not include all deaths for that day. The PHE method draws on data from 3 data sources and individual records of deaths are included in the figures as soon as they are available in any of these 3 sources.

In rare instances, the daily count under the new measure may be lower than the old measure because some hospital deaths in the hospital-only data will include individuals who have already been included in the composite count. Individual deaths have already been reported in the PHE series on previous days.
  • Options
    JonCisBackJonCisBack Posts: 911

Boris points out the obvious, people are already at work following new Covid 19 procedures.

Quite, and have been since March.

For me and the area of my company my team works in, yesterday's announcement essentially changed exactly nothing.
    It drives me made that people keep saying there is no advice. There is an incredible amount.
    We were entirely led by the gov.uk advice in March and April. Which was in essence stay 2m apart and wash your hands. Wear PPE if appropriate That was about it but what else did we need?

We had a brainstorm and came up with 28 separate ideas to enable the 2m thing.Most of them are implemented now. Many will remain permanently i think as they are not really COVID specific but have led to us being more efficient in how we are organised...turns out we weren't working all that smartly time and motion wise anyway lol, virus or no virus...
  • Options

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

RobD said:

Good
    I thought you knew Boris has done a deal with Macron to permit access to the UK from France and indeed Ireland.
    I was just going on the post saying Starmer had had it confirmed that all international arrivals would be quarantined. They are far from clear on anything so hard to keep up with what is in and what is out.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826

Compare and contrast the ranty absurdity of Jezbollah's question which Bozza just bats away vs the forensic take apart of the massive contradictions in the various bits of government advice

Maybe Jezbollah shouldn't be in the Labour Party given his history of antisemitism? Would be a cleaner solution.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

malcolmg said:

nichomar said:

Damn right too!

3 cream eggs even
    In fact it was 9 in the original source material.
    That is serious waste.
  • Options
    MikeL said:

Boris:

50,000 bounceback loans totalling £5 billion

Implies average of £100k

But maximum bounceback loan is £50k!?

He is not too good at the counting and thinking on his feet unfortunately.
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    eadric said:

9. Devolved administrations

9.1 Does this guidance apply across the UK?

This guidance applies in England – people in Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland should follow the specific rules in those parts of the UK.

If you live in Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland additional guidance is available:

Scotland
    Wales
    Northern Ireland

The difference regulations in different parts of the UK mean that English workers are now going to work to do the jobs that raise the taxes, that will then be given to Scottish and Welsh people, so they can continue to stay at home.

Put it even more bluntly: Englishmen will die so that Scotsmen may live
    You been on the cooking sherry again, time to stop listening to Vera Lynn I think.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

RobD said:

Good
    I was just going on the post saying Starmer had had it confirmed that all international arrivals would be quarantined. They are far from clear on anything so hard to keep up with what is in and what is out.
    The bi-lateral UK - France decision was confirmed in a joint statement by Boris and Macron yesterday
  • Options
    Stocky said:

Labour MP: "No-one should be expected to return to work when it isn`t safe".

FFS it`s never going to be safe!

This is the problem with the message we need to lockdown and you must stay at home. From that, very hard to convince people any activity is safe.

The briefing from the government to the media last night had the stats of for instance only 1% of kids were in school, when 20% are children of key workers. Now some will have partners who aren't and been looking after them, but clearly large numbers of parents are so scared to let their kids to go to school, they would rather leave them at home on their own.
  • Options

Maybe Jezbollah shouldn't be in the Labour Party given his history of antisemitism? Would be a cleaner solution.
    I wasnt talking to you.

I was talking to a fellow member
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,879
    malcolmg said:

nichomar said:

Damn right too!

3 cream eggs even
    9 I believe, fide the Sun. Google 9 creme eggs.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,879

DavidL said:

Damn right too!

More to the point, TTs have sharp edges.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,038
    TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

So where am I supposed to buy a mask from?

You don't need to buy a face mask.

"A face covering is not the same as a facemask such as the surgical masks or respirators used as part of personal protective equipment by healthcare and other workers"
    https://twitter.com/christopherhope/status/1259833361180307456?s=20
    They will have to rip my old Ramones t-shirt out of my cold dead hands.
    I am told that a brassiere make a good mask. But you need to use the LEFT cup.

Otherwise you'll look like a right tit.

Just repeating.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,998
    Miss Vance, is that quite unusual, given the diplomatic immunity angle?
  • Options

"Commuters crowd train platform following UK government guidelines to go back to work"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rB4IqZmydiM

Crowded? The queues for B&Q and Tescos are more crowded than that video. It actually looks like people are being very sensible.

I'm told that in Colchester the Sainsbury's crowds are 'normal'..... no spacing.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

So where am I supposed to buy a mask from?

You don't need to buy a face mask.

"A face covering is not the same as a facemask such as the surgical masks or respirators used as part of personal protective equipment by healthcare and other workers"
    https://twitter.com/christopherhope/status/1259833361180307456?s=20
    They will have to rip my old Ramones t-shirt out of my cold dead hands.
    I am told that a brassiere make a good mask. But you need to use the LEFT cup.

Otherwise you'll look like a right tit.

Just repeating.
    :smile: - on fire!
  • Options

I wasnt talking to you.

I was talking to a fellow member
    As a member of another party I'd want to see racist bigots kicked out of my own party, even if I quit my party while it was led by a racist bigot.

If your "comrade" thinks the same I respect him for that. Your "comrade" shouldn't put party politics over standing up to racism.
  • Options

There is some dispute about diplomatic immunity - she was here as a spouse, not a diplomat.

• Options

I have thought him a knob for 40 years, about 15 years more than I have thought the same about Boris.
    Deleted
  • Options
    I wonder when the public might start to realise that life may not return to normality for years...and what the reaction will be.
  • Options
    Sir Richard Branson is selling a stake in Virgin Galactic to raise $500m to prop up his other businesses including Virgin Atlantic.
  • Options

"Commuters crowd train platform following UK government guidelines to go back to work"

Crowded? The queues for B&Q and Tescos are more crowded than that video. It actually looks like people are being very sensible.

I'm told that in Colchester the Sainsbury's crowds are 'normal'..... no spacing.
    New normal or old normal?
  • Options

There is some dispute about diplomatic immunity - she was here as a spouse, not a diplomat.

Spouses get diplomatic immunity too or else nobody would ever bring their family over in which case it would be impossible to get diplomats to move.
  • Options
    NerysHughesNerysHughes Posts: 3,347

I wonder when the public might start to realise that life may not return to normality for years...and what the reaction will be.

There may be a vaccine by the end of the year
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,998
    Thanks, Miss Vance.

Right, I'm off. Play nicely, everyone.
  • Options
    TimTTimT Posts: 6,328

Mr Dancer - this article, from a US source, explains the situation quite well

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/does-diplomatic-immunity-apply-american-diplomat-s-wife-fatal-crash-n1066011

What would have been normal between friendly states is either that the US would have waived immunity (as the person was not performing diplomatic immunity, and the prosecution would not have been by an enemy state for political gain), or that the US would have prosecuted her on return to the US for the crime and she would have served any sentence handed down in US custody.
  • Options

Spouses get diplomatic immunity too or else nobody would ever bring their family over in which case it would be impossible to get diplomats to move.
    Her spouse wasn't listed as a diplomat either. In any case it's lapsed as she's in the US - and can now be arrested if she sets foot outside it.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Members of the Faculty of Advocates have just been granted key worker status. Means I or any member of my family have the right to be tested if we become symptomatic. Whoopee. Not sure I have ever been thought "key" before and the less said about being a worker the better.

Well the legal system is just as much infrastructure as (say) the railways. Not sure I'd exactly leap at the chance of a test though. I watched one being done the other day and it looked quite an unpleasant experience. They need to go deep multiple times in multiple places to get what they need. There's no way it could be done randomly and at scale without stick or carrot.
  • Options
    Once 'Covid is detected in the water supply of a certain town', will a bit of bleach sort it out? Can any epidemiologists, am or pro, confirm?

https://twitter.com/Haggis_UK/status/1259871194565742594?s=20
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,354
    I gather the infection rate in Austria is now rising post-relaxation, though not yet out of control - current estimated at R=0.8.
  • Options
    ukpaulukpaul Posts: 649
    edited May 2020
    Pro_Rata said:

Geoff Barton from the Association of School and College Leaders says his organisation is "a bit disappointed" by the guidance that the youngest children are set to be the first to go back to school. He says the younger children are the ones who will find the distancing rules harder to understand - and that they will be harder for teachers to control.

-----

Dickhead....young kids are at zero risk, AND the science appears to show they don't transmit it to adults. You know perhaps Witty and Vallance have looked at the scientific literature on this and not gone well send the rug rats back first for no reason in particular.

I bet if they had said send back older kids first, they would have replied, but they are higher risk to teachers and each other.

The children being non transmitters line has not been pushed as heavily as in the early days, and I've not read up the current state of knowledge. However, a lot of that early truth that was true then wasn't true does turn.out to be true after all.

Each setting is different:

Nurseries: No way kids will social distance, but high staff: child ratios meaning adult-adult close contact difficult to avoid. But, staff generally young and non unionised.

Infants: Social distancing tricky, but anyone who has seen the two-by-two walking knows some corralling is possible. Staff ratios are modestly high, but adult closel contact should be minimisable. Send your younger teachers in.

Juniors: Awareness of social distancing, adult contacts minimisable, not a bad place. The need to socially distance kids from one another is still not necessarily the case.

Secondary: In classrooms social distancing should be OK. The staff room is again key, but
    It's not been mentioned that children don't transmit the virus because studies have shown that it is not true. Hotspots in various schools have shown that (Germany, New Zealand, France etc.). The reason that not many have been seen recently is because schools shut down. Obvious, really.

At least we know that all children and staff will have to wear facemasks in primary as well as secondary now, though.

I teach infants at times and the idea that you can minimise contact is very wrong. The only way is to shut them in a room on their own, so they are not a good choice. Adults with them are pretty numerous and there's a lot of contact adult to child to adult and so on. Juniors could be taught outside in small groups, probably. They might be the best to target as a beginning. Secondary you are into an age where children get the virus as easily as adults and, dangerously, they can do so and not really know, making them into transmitters between families and other adults around them. This is why nothing apart from 'seeing' a couple of classes has been mentioned for that age group.

The message that my (independent) school is sending is a reminder that we are independent and we can make our own decisions. I'm sure that this private/state divide is going to be something that is going to be publicised and, frankly, it is another area where the poorest are being made more vulnerable because of their lack of agency.

• Options

Her spouse wasn't listed as a diplomat either. In any case it's lapsed as she's in the US - and can now be arrested if she sets foot outside it.
    You don't have to be a diplomat to have diplomatic immunity.
  • Options

There may be a vaccine by the end of the year
    I think it is more likely than not that there will be. Rollout Q1 next year.
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,562
    Watching the parliamentary debate, Boris was fine and on reasonable form, except for a 3-minute spell when he had to answer Starmer's precise questions. Responding to Starmer he seemed to fall apart, was rather nervous, and bumbled a lot. It seems to me that, for whatever reason, he rather fears (and actually respects) Starmer, and is worried about his own ability to master the detail he will need as this continues over the coming months and years in their sparring sessions. Boris knows that he can't just swat Starmer aside with a joke, a bon mot or a bit of Latin, but needs to take him seriously. So, I expect Starmer will, over time, get the upper hand through his methodical approach, and Boris's reputation will take a hit.
  • Options
    RobD said:

New normal or old normal?
    Old. Allegedly. Haven't been motivated/daft enough to go and look.
  • Options
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,768
    edited May 2020

Once 'Covid is detected in the water supply of a certain town', will a bit of bleach sort it out? Can any epidemiologists, am or pro, confirm?

https://twitter.com/Haggis_UK/status/1259871194565742594?s=20

The idea is to use it as another screening method for viral prevalence.
    I seriously doubt it's a means of transmission.

The whole thing is a bit of a distraction.
  • Options
    sarissasarissa Posts: 1,799

eadric said:

Ten weeks late. Ten fucking weeks. I bought my first masks on February 14th

I don't like bashing the government but this is a colossal public health error.

https://twitter.com/businessinsider/status/1259830859303133184?s=20

I predict we are going to see bog roll style hoarding all over again....glad I already have my reusable respirator mask.
    Does it filter exhaled breaths?
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,282

Fabricants wig hasnt grown

Wig? That is luxuriant natural hair!
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

DavidL said:

Well the legal system is just as much infrastructure as (say) the railways. Not sure I'd exactly leap at the chance of a test though. I watched one being done the other day and it looked quite an unpleasant experience. They need to go deep multiple times in multiple places to get what they need. There's no way it could be done randomly and at scale without stick or carrot.
    Yeah, not rushing for one myself even if freely available.

https://twitter.com/TheBabaTee/status/1258503536134012928?s=20
  • Options
    Andrew said:
    I wonder what it was at the peak, as this is from well after it.
  • Options
    @Theuniondivvie I don't even want to click play. I think I'll just stay inside :D
  • Options

Andrew said:
    Haven't the antibody surveys shown that it is about 10% that have the antibody? Would require six million to have had it over the duration.
  • Options
    QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,949

Sir Richard Branson is selling a stake in Virgin Galactic to raise $500m to prop up his other businesses including Virgin Atlantic.

To whom? I'm sure he will find a buyer but I do find it curious how industries with such a poor historical return find such large investments. Airlines and railways are even better examples, since they have little chance of a sudden breakthrough and success.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,283
    edited May 2020
    More links at lockdownsceptics this afternoon to software engineers and epidemiologists taking down Ferguson's 13 year old code for the model that put UK in lockdown.

https://lockdownsceptics.org/

“It is very difficult to look at the Ferguson code with any understanding of software engineering and conclude that this is good, or even tolerable,”
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,334

Fabricants wig hasnt grown

Wig? That is luxuriant natural hair!
    Yes, but whose?
  • Options

Watching the parliamentary debate, Boris was fine and on reasonable form, except for a 3-minute spell when he had to answer Starmer's precise questions. Responding to Starmer he seemed to fall apart, was rather nervous, and bumbled a lot. It seems to me that, for whatever reason, he rather fears (and actually respects) Starmer, and is worried about his own ability to master the detail he will need as this continues over the coming months and years in their sparring sessions. Boris knows that he can't just swat Starmer aside with a joke, a bon mot or a bit of Latin, but needs to take him seriously. So, I expect Starmer will, over time, get the upper hand through his methodical approach, and Boris's reputation will take a hit.

I'm only watching in my mind but this is nevertheless exactly what I'm seeing. Pleased to have it confirmed.
  • Options

More links at lockdownsceptics this afternoon to software engineers and epidemiologists taking down Ferguson's 13 year old code for the model that put UK in lockdown.

“It is very difficult to look at the Ferguson code with any understanding of software engineering and conclude that this is good, or even tolerable,”

I thought the tech from Google whose job was to make the code more accessible said it wasn't actually that bad? I wonder if these people are reviewing it already know what they want to find before looking at it.
  • Options
    That is brilliant. Love it.
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900

Mrrrm, yeah.

On the other hand, govt models are assuming 16k current per day, more back then, and it's an infection that also hangs around a while. Long survey period too.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,485
    Unless you have children.
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    Andrew said:
    But what about all those people who felt really bad for a couple of weeks in December?

Shall we tell them or not?

Is this a serology test? That would make a difference.
  • Options
    Sugar speaks here ON topic -

Does anybody agree with my Trump theory. It's clear to me he will get a 2nd term. I forecast he will introduce Ivanka into an important gov role around 2022. With a view of her becoming the first female president of the USA in November 2024.

— Lord Sugar (@Lord_Sugar) May 11, 2020
  • Options
    ukpaul said:

Andrew said:
    But what about all those people who felt really bad for a couple of weeks in December?

Shall we tell them or not?
    If they exist, they wouldn't have been detected by this survey anyway. It was to identify those that currently have it.
  • Options

Andrew said:
    Two weeks after the peak, maybe four or five times that, maybe? I thought it might be 5% but maybe that's just in London.
  • Options
    eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,908
    Pro_Rata said:

Nurseries: No way kids will social distance, but high staff: child ratios meaning adult-adult close contact difficult to avoid. But, staff generally young and non unionised.

Infants: Social distancing tricky, but anyone who has seen the two-by-two walking knows some corralling is possible. Staff ratios are modestly high, but adult closel contact should be minimisable. Send your younger teachers in.

Juniors: Awareness of social distancing, adult contacts minimisable, not a bad place. The need to socially distance kids from one another is still not necessarily the case.

Secondary: In classrooms social distancing should be OK. The staff room is again key, but

This last point is not true. Even in the 16+ school groups they still unthinkingly show a something on their smartphone to friends with heads practically touching, or unthinkingly hugging friends etc.
  • Options
    eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,908
    That's not a decision tree, it's a flow chart.
  • Options
    eristdoof said:

Pro_Rata said:

This last point is not true. Even in the 16+ school groups they still unthinkingly show a something on their smartphone to friends with heads practically touching, or unthinkingly hugging friends etc.
    These are also the 'risk takers' that police have been finding, particularly boys. It's cool and independent to ignore any form of distancing apparently (frontal lobe reasons?)
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,485

OK but we are where we are. Never mind the code, is the model right, and can it be reimplemented?
  • Options
    Doesn't pull any punches:

Humanity has proved highly effective at finding medical countermeasures to infectious diseases, and is likely to do so for COVID-19; but this may take time. As quickly as possible, the Government must move to a more sustainable solution, where the continued restrictions described above can be lifted altogether. To enable this, the Government must develop, trial, manufacture and distribute reliable treatments or vaccines as swiftly as possible.

The virus is unlikely to die out spontaneously; nor is it likely to be eradicated. Only one human infectious disease - smallpox - has ever been eradicated. The Government must therefore develop either a treatment that enables us to manage it like other serious diseases or have people acquire immunity by vaccination.

It is possible a safe and effective vaccine will not be developed for a long time (or even ever), so while maximising the chances this will happen quickly where the Government can, it must not rely on this course of action happening. There are currently over 70 credible vaccine development programmes worldwide and the first UK human trial has begun at the University of Oxford.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,763
    The published plan is good. Don't know why Johnson has made such a mess of launching it and communicating the key points.
  • Options
    eristdoof said:

That's not a decision tree, it's a flow chart.
    https://www.smartdraw.com/decision-tree/
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,671
    edited May 2020
    Genuine question:

Is there any indication or documentation whether socially distanced Personal Training is allowed?

They say work where you can't work from home go to work, which says it should be OK, and it fits within the "gatherings of 2" rule from the regulations.
  • Options
    FF43 said:

The published plan is good. Don't know why Johnson has made such a mess of launching it and communicating the key points.

Did he say anything that was contradictory? I wonder how much of it is to do with who is saying it, rather than what is being said.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,334
    FF43 said:

I think we should consider the General Greer solution:

Dirk Bogarde: Have you any message you wish to send to General Greer?
    Marius Göring: Kindly inform General Greer that he is an incompetent idiot.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,768

Doesn't pull any punches:

Humanity has proved highly effective at finding medical countermeasures to infectious diseases, and is likely to do so for COVID-19; but this may take time. As quickly as possible, the Government must move to a more sustainable solution, where the continued restrictions described above can be lifted altogether. To enable this, the Government must develop, trial, manufacture and distribute reliable treatments or vaccines as swiftly as possible.

The virus is unlikely to die out spontaneously; nor is it likely to be eradicated. Only one human infectious disease - smallpox - has ever been eradicated. The Government must therefore develop either a treatment that enables us to manage it like other serious diseases or have people acquire immunity by vaccination.

It is possible a safe and effective vaccine will not be developed for a long time (or even ever), so while maximising the chances this will happen quickly where the Government can, it must not rely on this course of action happening. There are currently over 70 credible vaccine development programmes worldwide and the first UK human trial has begun at the University of Oxford.

Which is probably why challenge trials are seriously being discussed again...

WHO conditionally backs Covid-19 vaccine trials that infect people
    ‘Challenge’ studies would deliberately give coronavirus to healthy volunteers

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2020/may/08/who-conditionally-backs-covid-19-vaccine-trials-that-infect-people
  • Options
    FF43 said:

The mistake was trying to do it in 15 minutes without releasing the 50 pages at the same time
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,011

OK but we are where we are. Never mind the code, is the model right, and can it be reimplemented?
    This is another argument that we are repeating from last week.

The code is bad but the model generated results that matched the other models other countries have used.

Of course the model is correct isn't the answer the people "who want someone to blame" will accept.
  • Options

1. Clinton led Trump ON POLLING DAY and won by 2%. Analyses by psephologists in the know tend to suggest Biden is going to need a 3 or 4% lead.

What? Why? Biden should be strong in the mid-west, why's he got this humongous electoral vote disadvantage???
    Fivethirtyeight, for example, have noted that while Biden has a lead in five swing states where there has been recent polling (North Carolina, Wisconsin, Florida, Michigan and Pennsylvania) the lead is less than the national polling lead.

The implication is that, to flip several of these states - and he needs to flip three or four reasonably delegate heavy states - he has rather less room to play with than his national polling lead.

The way I see it, if Biden matches Clinton, his Mid West strength alone will probably give him Pennsylvania and Michigan. But he does need one more than that. Ohio and Iowa are underpolled but look a stretch - Trump actually won them both pretty comfortably in 2016. His best other shot in that area is Wisconsin, where Biden's polling has been less good than he'd hope. After that, he needs to look at Florida, North Carolina or Arizona - all possibly winnable but he'll need a reasonable popular vote lead.

• Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,763
    RobD said:

FF43 said:

Did he say anything that was contradictory? I wonder how much of it is to do with who is saying it, rather than what is being said.
    All he had to do was to say, here's the plan, read it
  • Options
    FF43 said:

RobD said:

FF43 said:

All he had to do was to say, here's the plan, read it
    That would have gone down a treat. Still, I don't think he said anything contradictory to the document.
  • Options
    BannedinnParisBannedinnParis Posts: 1,884
    edited May 2020
    RobD said:

FF43 said:

• Options

RobD said:

FF43 said:

Genuinely confusing. :D
This discussion has been closed.