Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Biden still trails in the WH2020 betting in spite of opening d

SystemSystem Posts: 11,008
edited April 2020 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Biden still trails in the WH2020 betting in spite of opening double digit poll leads over Trump

By far the biggest development so far in WH2020 has been Trump’s comment a few days ago that people could inject themselves with bleach to fight the the coronavirus. This has been widely ridiculed and there have been reports from many parts of the US of people actually ingesting bleach and other such liquids and having to be treated by the emergency services.Of all the crazy things that this President has said so far during the campaign this is been ranked as the craziest and it is been suggested that it could have a decisive effect on the outcome in November. It is so blindingly obvious that his advice was bonkers that it has reinforced all sorts of doubts about him even at Fox News.The extraordinary is that over the past two months of the pandemic Joe Biden has found it very hard commanding any media attention whatsoever. He has got nothing really to say about the pandemic and has largely ignored. In spite, or maybe because of this, the latest polls have him enjoying double-digit leads over Trump.It is being suggested that the best strategy for 77 year old Joe between now and November is to lay low and let the election be all about Trump and all that entails. The worst thing that could happen is for Biden himself to become an issue and there are a number of reasons why that could be the case.The former VP should formally get the nomination at the the party convention in Milwaukee in July. There’s still a lot of doubt about whether that will actually take place but clearly the party has got to decide on its choice that that could happen at a virtual convention.Generally speaking presumptive nominees like Biden don’t announce their vice presidential choice until just before the convention and I don’t see any reason why there’ll be something different this time. The betting favourite for this is still Kamala Harris though Klobuchar and Elizabeth Warren have fairly tight odds.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    Bojo can't miss PMQs surely.... it's only another baby
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    Congratulations for Boris and Carrie.

Nothing in the world like the birth of a child, happy for them.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,402
    edited April 2020
    Third.

Like one of Boris' earlier children :smile: .

Who'll be sixth?

Nice to see some unalloyed joy in the midst of this.
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,331
    Congrats to Boris and Carrie.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,970
    FPT: F1: Ladbrokes now has title and Austria (win) markets up.

Not tempted at the moment. Currently feeling quietly confidence of my bet on Hamilton scoring at under 21 races this year.

Edited extra bit: assuming it isn't voided, of course.

On-topic: reckon Biden should be slight favourite.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,867
    How many weeks paternity leave is he going to take...

[ducks]
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,903
    Phew thank goodness.
  • Options
    Oh. Me.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,163
    iirc the convention has already been put back to August. But happy to be corrected.
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,704
    Scott_xP said:

How many weeks paternity leave is he going to take...

[ducks]

2, like he's allowed, and which should be available to him.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,390
    Is that betting not more an assessment of their relatively chances of mortality, though ?
    After all, Trump is worse than evens (otherwise I'd be laying him again).
  • Options
    MattW said:

Oh. Me.

Far. So.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Is that betting not more an assessment of their relatively chances of mortality, though ?

You'd think so, but after Betfair's intervention in the PM market I asked them this directly. They refused to comment.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,957
    edited April 2020
    On the face of it Biden has a clear poll lead against Trump so should be favourite, for example:

https://twitter.com/Politics_Polls/status/1255284006519746561?s=19

However punters may be sticking with Trump as his supporters seem much more enthusiastic than Biden's. Biden faces the problem that John Kerry or Mitt Romney faced, a vote for him seems to be more against the incumbent than for them

https://twitter.com/Politics_Polls/status/1255310629629542401?s=19
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,187
    Well that’s conveniently timed - I assume she was further gone than was previously thought.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

On the face of it Biden has a clear poll lead against Trump so should be favourite, for example:

However punters may be sticking with Trump as his supporters seem much more enthusiastic than Biden's. Biden faces the problem that John Kerry or Mitt Romney faced, a vote for him seems to be more against the incumbent than for them

That's Emerson's view. But what do Lake and Palmer's models on the race suggest.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

I really hope Trump loses in November. The man is a menace.

So say we all.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,158
    FPT

@Pulpstar said:
    “Depends how the virus/a vaccine pan out and whether people rebound like a coiled spring into the way life was previously or perhaps, whilst not enjoying the total lockdown we now have, prefer a more relaxed pace of life.”

I don’t think there is anything relaxed about a life in which one can’t see family or friends, can’t visit a museum or gallery, or go to a play, concert, gig or film, can’t eat out, can’t explore parts of one’s country or visit historic or architectural attractions or join with others in any sort of communal activity, whether as participant or spectator. And this is the sort of life we will have to endure - because none of these activities are possible with “social distancing”
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Not just mortality. With allegations of Biden having committed sexual assault against Reade (which I'm surprised hasn't been more news on this site) as well as Biden's clear mental issues (which have been regularly commented on) there has to be a possibility that despite the primary results he isn't candidate.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Well that’s conveniently timed - I assume she was further gone than was previously thought.

Or the birth was premature. Was due in June, can be perfectly healthy even if ~6 weeks premature.
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    HYUFD said:

On the face of it Biden has a clear poll lead against Trump so should be favourite.

In the current climate, excitement is just not a particularly important metric.

Prospective Democratic voters are pretty damned determined to get rid of Trump; they'd vote for a ham sandwich in preference.

And who but fools are excited about an election when the economy is crashing and there are millions of unemployed, and while the pandemic still menaces ?
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,187

tlg86 said:

Or the birth was premature. Was due in June, can be perfectly healthy even if ~6 weeks premature.
    True.
  • Options
    I wonder if Starmer will attend PMQs today?

In the past when the PM was unable to attend PMQs due to being eg out of the country or having a baby the Opposition normally sent their deputy. Who is Starmer's deputy?
  • Options

In the past when the PM was unable to attend PMQs due to being eg out of the country or having a baby the Opposition normally sent their deputy. Who is Starmer's deputy?

I'm pretty sure he'll be there.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,917
    Given he’s clearly not fit enough to be working, and given the baby could well have been born prematurely, Johnson should take his full paternity leave.
  • Options

I think so - he still needs to establish himself.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,793
    Congrats to Boris and Carrie :)
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,703
    Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

On the face of it Biden has a clear poll lead against Trump so should be favourite.

Prospective Democratic voters are pretty damned determined to get rid of Trump; they'd vote for a ham sandwich in preference.

And who but fools are excited about an election when the economy is crashing and there are millions of unemployed, and while the pandemic still menaces ?
    True - and remember 2018 and the special elections. When given a chance Democrats have done well against Republicans, since Trump.
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,715
    edited April 2020
    Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

Well, our very own kinabalu has said that he thinks that a re-elected Trump would be more worrisome than a global pandemic.

On a different tack - does anyone know whether the November election could be postponed? I know there`s no precedent for this, but is it theoretically possible under their constitution?
  • Options
    BluestBlueBluestBlue Posts: 4,556
    Congratulations to the proud parents! Carrie must be immensely relieved at not having to use the name 'Postumus', in accordance with Roman tradition...
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

I'm pretty sure he'll be there.
    I think so too.
  • Options

Raynor I guess?
  • Options
    Stocky said:

Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

Well, our very own kinabalu has said that he thinks that a re-elected Trump would be more worrisome than a global pandemic.

On a different tack - does anyone know whether the November election could be postponed? I know there`s no precedent for this, but is it theoretically possible under their constitution?
    Potentially by a couple of weeks, IIRC the date of the election isn't set in the Constitution. However practically no because the end of the Presidential term and start of the next one is set in the Constitution.
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,331

I have absolutely no idea and nor do 90pc of the population.!!
  • Options
    Stocky said:

Raynor I guess?
    Watson never did PMQs with Corbyn there. It was Thornberry wasn't it?
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    Cyclefree said:

FPT

@Pulpstar said:
    “Depends how the virus/a vaccine pan out and whether people rebound like a coiled spring into the way life was previously or perhaps, whilst not enjoying the total lockdown we now have, prefer a more relaxed pace of life.”

I don’t think there is anything relaxed about a life in which one can’t see family or friends, can’t visit a museum or gallery, or go to a play, concert, gig or film, can’t eat out, can’t explore parts of one’s country or visit historic or architectural attractions or join with others in any sort of communal activity, whether as participant or spectator. And this is the sort of life we will have to endure - because none of these activities are possible with “social distancing”

In terms of total hours for the country I imagine that'd be dwarfed by the currently forgone collective commuting time switched workers from home are doing right now.

I accept it is different and can be extremely stressful for anyone who still needs to physically be at their work at the moment.
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,387

Stocky said:

Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

Potentially by a couple of weeks, IIRC the date of the election isn't set in the Constitution. However practically no because the end of the Presidential term and start of the next one is set in the Constitution.
    I think they could cut the dead duck presidency a fair amount.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,141
    On topic, the markets are wrong, Biden should be the favourite, it's probably something like 55/40/5 (the 5 being some other candidate). Maybe punters were stung by the 2016 result, where Hillary led consistently by a similar amount but then lost, but the differences are:

1) Some dumb luck was involved - the Comey stuff hit right at the wrong time, etc etc.

2) Hillary had very weak pandering-to-the-right-voters skills, that's also how she lost to Obama. Biden is naturally strong in the mid-west, and his team knows how to appeal to the voters they have, not the voters they'd like to have.
  • Options

Stocky said:

Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

In that case the Betfair markets should stand and can we confidently predict a rise in postal voting/other remote voting of some sort - which should favour the Dems? I`m very comfortable with my big betting position against Trump winning.
  • Options

Stocky said:

Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

Not much in practice. With Christmas in December, there really isn't much space between November and January to hold a delayed election.
  • Options

Stocky said:

Raynor I guess?
    Watson never did PMQs with Corbyn there. It was Thornberry wasn't it?
    True - I still suspect it would be Raynor though.
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,987
    HYUFD said:

They should ask " How excited are you to vote AGAINST the rival candidate for President?"

My guess:

Biden supporters:
    Extremely/Very excited 64% (+27)
    Mildly/Not that excited 37%

Trump supporters:
    Extremely/Very excited 45% (-10)
    Mildly/Not that excited 55%
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,983

Given he’s clearly not fit enough to be working, and given the baby could well have been born prematurely, Johnson should take his full paternity leave.

He can just get William Cash to look after it like his other cast off.
  • Options

Stocky said:

Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

Especially with Trump. If he loses, the period between the election and him being actually booted out of office, you have to worry what he could do.
  • Options
    Stocky said:

In that case the Betfair markets should stand and can we confidently predict a rise in postal voting/other remote voting of some sort - which should favour the Dems? I`m very comfortable with my big betting position against Trump winning.

This one's tricky, in that:

1) Adding a chaos factor like this should help whoever controls the voting in swing states, and the swingiest states now have Dem governors, who can at least block politically unfavourable changes, and in some cases can push through favourable ones

But

2) Procedural chaos also favours whoever is the most audacious, and Trump is nothing if not audacious
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,251

Stocky said:

Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

Isn't the gap between November and January to allow stagecoach travel from the southern states, should the winner be esconsed at, for instance, the Mar-a-Lago, to the White House, and never updated for the motor car, let alone the jet age?
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607

Yup, agree with that. 2 weeks of additional recovery time would be exactly what he needs.
  • Options

Especially with Trump. If he loses, the period between the election and him being actually booted out of office, you have to worry what he could do.

He's not an ideologue though, I think he'd concentrate on his stealing.
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    Stocky said:

Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

The date of the election is constitutionally mandated, so not by Presidential fiat.
    (Edit - 'determined' is more accurate than 'mandated'.)
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,983

He's not an ideologue though, I think he'd concentrate on his stealing.
    It's better if he wins because there is going to be a distinct possibility of armed-to-the-teeth civil unrest if he loses.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

FPT

@Pulpstar said:

I think one of the first relaxations will be the definition of "household". Two people living separately but visiting one another (carefully travelling) have the same transmission risk to the rest of the community as two people living together. They can be considered a unit.

I think we may have "virtual" households made up of not more than five people and not including any vulnerable people.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,249
    isam said:

Spending the last half hour reading the last thread knowing that Boris was missing PMQs because his fiancée had just given birth was fabulous!!!!

How they must hate him!

I don't think he should miss PMQs because of his baby and neither do I think he should take paternity leave.

It's all there in the terms and conditions of being a crisis PM.

And I don't hate him. I think he is, as I have always thought, a solipsistic, lazy, useless twat.
  • Options

Stocky said:

Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

Isn't the gap between November and January to allow stagecoach travel from the southern states, should the winner be esconsed at, for instance, the Mar-a-Lago, to the White House, and never updated for the motor car, let alone the jet age?
    Not just for the winner to travel but also a delay for the states to travel and get their results together and then to have the Electoral College to travel and get its decision made - and to give Congress time to travel and make its decision if the Electoral College doesn't make a decision.
  • Options
    ParistondaParistonda Posts: 1,819
    UK coronavirus deaths in hospitals is over 21000, whereas France hospital deaths are at about 15000 (the rest is care home deaths) despite France having been further ahead in its outbreak. It really doesn't seem to be getting enough analysis, why does the UK have so many dead despite seemingly not suffering overwhelming of hospitals? Its not like France has done well out of this crisis so its not an "unfair" comparison either (France had a similar number of ventilators to the UK at the start, they were slow to act, as bad at testing as the UK, not enough PPE). France also did actually see overwhelming of its Eastern region hot-spot whereas London never seemed to become quite as severe.

It is genuinely strange. Is it because there is less obesity in France?
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Stocky said:

Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

The date of the election is constitutionally mandated, so not by Presidential fiat.
    Is it?
  • Options
    Ave_itAve_it Posts: 2,411
    Well done Boris and Carrie

LOL at all the hard left halfwits posting on here earlier criticising him for not attending PMQs!

• Options
    BluestBlueBluestBlue Posts: 4,556
    Ave_it said:

LOL at all the hard left halfwits posting on here earlier criticising him for not attending PMQs!

They must indeed feel like the spiteful tools they are :smile:
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095
    Baby names - Young Winston?

(Always assuming there isn't a previous Winston in the brood. In which case - Youngest Winston?)
  • Options
    Ave_it said:

I'm not a hard left halfwit (well not two out of three). And I was criticising him for not attending PMQs. And I am still criticising him for not attending PMQs. He doesn't get to be like a normal dad. He is PM. Apparently.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961

(Always assuming there isn't a previous Winston in the brood. In which case - Youngest Winston?)

Youngest Winston, middle name: For Now.

:smiley:
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,141
    Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

Yes the ham sandwich - if it can be persuaded to run - would romp home.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,917
    MaxPB said:

Yup, agree with that. 2 weeks of additional recovery time would be exactly what he needs.
    It’s a great excuse and he should take it. He is clearly not fit enough to be doing the job currently. And a new born is only going to add to the stress. There really is no shame in stepping back for a while. It would be the responsible thing to do.

• Options
    isam said:

Spending the last half hour reading the last thread knowing that Boris was missing PMQs because his fiancée had just given birth was fabulous!!!!

How they must hate him!

How did you know?
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Ave_it said:

I'm not a hard left halfwit (well not two out of three). And I was criticising him for not attending PMQs. And I am still criticising him for not attending PMQs. He doesn't get to be like a normal dad. He is PM. Apparently.
    PM not President. We have a cabinet government in this country.
  • Options

Tipped at 20/1 by yours truly last month which seems like a millennium away.

https://www7.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2020/03/08/what-will-be-the-name-of-the-boris-johnsons-baby/

• Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,581
    The lengths Boris will go to get publicity :)
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Stocky said:

Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

Is it?
    There are many scenarios for a delayed election.
    "The bottom line is that even if he does try to cancel the election, Trump can't be guaranteed that he stays in the White House. He would need either a great deal of luck or a coup to remain president. And the office might easily elude the likely Democratic nominee, former Vice President Joe Biden, too.
    Here’s why"
    https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/2020/04/17/could-trump-use-the-virus-to-stay-in-power-192883
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961
    Stocky said:

isam said:

How they must hate him!

How did you know?
    I think he means reading it after the fact.
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

Cyclefree said:

FPT

@Pulpstar said:

I think one of the first relaxations will be the definition of "household". Two people living separately but visiting one another (carefully travelling) have the same transmission risk to the rest of the community as two people living together. They can be considered a unit.

I think we may have "virtual" households made up of not more than five people and not including any vulnerable people.
    So if you are a family of more than 5 and one of you is vulnerable you have to be forcibly separated do you? And where do you go?
  • Options
    contrariancontrarian Posts: 5,818
    Look at the evidence before betting on Biden

What will the next presidential election be about, primarily?

A step change on relations with China? A revised, sterner approach?

Trump went to war with the Chinese on trade for two years and stopped flights from there when Corona broke out, in the face of official advice.

He has railed against outsourcing and the exporting of jobs to China for years. Recently even devout globalists like President Macron said that the French might have to adopt a more domestic supply chain approach.

The evidence is that Trump is ahead of the curve and has a very solid track record on the number one issue of this campaign

Biden?

Trump may be vain, boorish, narcissistic, thin skinned, opportunistic and a very poor communicator.

The mistake his detractors make is underestimating his mental acuity.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,970
    Mr. Eagles, indeed.

It's the last episode, I think, of Homeland this Sunday. When the current series started the world was quite a different place.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

Ave_it said:

Even you don't believe that anything of import happens without the PM. And there are one or two important bits and bobs going on right now in the country.

Boris was apparently raring to go and to take charge as of a few days ago.

In the meantime there is no one in charge.
  • Options
    Ave_it said:

Point of order. That was before the news about the baby was known. Perfectly fine for him to miss PMQs to be with his child. Not fine for him to be back at work and miss crucial aspects of his work if he is not yet well enough to work. He should use his paternity leave to get himself fully well again and then, when he is back at work, he needs to do the key aspects of the job, including PMQs.

Accountability for the PM is essential in a Parliamentary democracy.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Barnesian said:

Cyclefree said:

FPT

@Pulpstar said:

So if you are a family of more than 5 and one of you is vulnerable you have to be forcibly separated do you? And where do you go?
    Just spoke to a friend back from HK. He says it is brutal over there with families split up and effectively imprisoned (at Stanley).
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Barnesian said:

Cyclefree said:

FPT

@Pulpstar said:

No I don't mean that. I think the current rule will continue to apply to actual physical households living together including vulnerable people.

But if the government extends the definition to "virtual" households I think they would not want to expose vulnerable people any more than they are currently exposed.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Barnesian said:

Cyclefree said:

FPT

@Pulpstar said:

I think the '5' should be defined as 'the total members of two households if greater' to get round this. Let's make it 10 to give greater flexibility. Raab can announce it on 7 May as Boris is busy at the moment!
  • Options
    MundoMundo Posts: 30

Would not be amazed to see “Aneurin” in there somewhere

• Options
    BigRichBigRich Posts: 3,489

UK coronavirus deaths in hospitals is over 21000, whereas France hospital deaths are at about 15000 (the rest is care home deaths) despite France having been further ahead in its outbreak. It really doesn't seem to be getting enough analysis, why does the UK have so many dead despite seemingly not suffering overwhelming of hospitals? Its not like France has done well out of this crisis so its not an "unfair" comparison either (France had a similar number of ventilators to the UK at the start, they were slow to act, as bad at testing as the UK, not enough PPE). France also did actually see overwhelming of its Eastern region hot-spot whereas London never seemed to become quite as severe.

I would speculate that the UK has had more deaths because more people have had the infection, which is probably at least partly if not mainly dew to population density. I would suggest that the Netherlands and Belgium are better compartments in this rearguard as they have closer levels of population density.

Other factors including obesity levels will also have at least some effect but at this stage its just difficult to way how retentive much each factor is.

While having more infections, and more deaths at this stage may seem terrible, the flip side is that we are probably closer to 'heard immunity' the total deaths per million when this is all over may be simmiler, and only vary by things like % of population over 80, and obesity.
  • Options
    Ave_it said:

Cyclefree said:

Barnesian said:

Cyclefree said:

FPT

@Pulpstar said:

I think the '5' should be defined as 'the total members of two households if greater' to get round this. Let's make it 10 to give greater flexibility. Raab can announce it on 7 May as Boris is busy at the moment!
    I think he will with a number between 5 and 10. Bookmark this.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    Mundo said:

Or something like Neil Henry Simon
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    Barnesian said:

Nigelb said:

Stocky said:

Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

Is it?
    There are many scenarios for a delayed election.
    "The bottom line is that even if he does try to cancel the election, Trump can't be guaranteed that he stays in the White House. He would need either a great deal of luck or a coup to remain president. And the office might easily elude the likely Democratic nominee, former Vice President Joe Biden, too.
    Here’s why"
    https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/2020/04/17/could-trump-use-the-virus-to-stay-in-power-192883
    Indeed.
    The duration of a presidential term is set by the Constitution. The date of the election is set by Federal law, and which the constitution requires a vote of Congress to change.
    So the simple answer is no, Trump cannot alter the date of the election.

Of course he can (and almost certainly will) do anything he can to thrown sand in the works, with the full cooperation of Republican state governors (limiting postal voting, the number of polling stations, early voting etc.).
    I don't put it past him to declare some state of emergency.

But legally, there's little or nothing he can do to stay in the White House beyond January of next year. Other than win the election in November.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,251
    IshmaelZ said:

Mundo said:

Or something like Neil Henry Simon
    Pericles Jeremy Dominic Johnson has a nice ring to it.
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900
    edited April 2020

Ton of unknowns, we'll probably not know until a few years of analysis. The models seem to suggest a near identical number of infections, it's just our infected are faring worse.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,141
    Stocky said:

Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

:smile: - I'll revise down to "equally worrying" but no further.

But just to say again, I cannot see a 2nd term for Trump. To re-elect him having seen how he behaves in office and when he has zero tangible achievements to his name apart from appointing a misogynist drunk to the Supreme Court, would mean that America has gone completely loco. It would render them a rogue nation. Beyond the pale. It could happen - of course it could, he's the incumbent - but I'd be wanting a LOT longer than even money on it.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Ave_it said:

Even you don't believe that anything of import happens without the PM. And there are one or two important bits and bobs going on right now in the country.

Indeed and going and taking charge does not mean that he does everything. It is possible to delegate some elements of his role and every PM ever has done that - including PMQs. Every PM in my adult lifetime has not attended every 100% of PMQs.
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,118
    edited April 2020
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Ave_it said:

Point of order. That was before the news about the baby was known. Perfectly fine for him to miss PMQs to be with his child. Not fine for him to be back at work and miss crucial aspects of his work if he is not yet well enough to work. He should use his paternity leave to get himself fully well again and then, when he is back at work, he needs to do the key aspects of the job, including PMQs.

Accountability for the PM is essential in a Parliamentary democracy.
    The reports emanating from government sources of Boris being away from PMQ (and which the hard left halfwits were commenting on) would have been in the knowledge of the (then) imminent birth which couldn't be made public at the time.
  • Options
    BannedinnParisBannedinnParis Posts: 1,884
    genuine LOL @ the 'where's Boris' crew this am. Good work lads.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Stocky said:

Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

:smile: - I'll revise down to "equally worrying" but no further.

But just to say again, I cannot see a 2nd term for Trump. To re-elect him having seen how he behaves in office and when he has zero tangible achievements to his name apart from appointing a misogynist drunk to the Supreme Court, would mean that America has gone completely loco. It would render them a rogue nation. Beyond the pale. It could happen - of course it could, he's the incumbent - but I'd be wanting a LOT longer than even money on it.
    Agreed - though personally i`d rank getting rid of, say, Putin and Jong-un ahead of Trump?
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,118

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Ave_it said:

Indeed and going and taking charge does not mean that he does everything. It is possible to delegate some elements of his role and every PM ever has done that - including PMQs. Every PM in my adult lifetime has not attended every 100% of PMQs.
    Perhaps “No PM in my adult lifetime has...”?
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Ave_it said:

Perhaps “No PM in my adult lifetime has...”?
    Yes sorry, distracted by children.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,901
    TOPPING said:

isam said:

How they must hate him!

I don't think he should miss PMQs because of his baby and neither do I think he should take paternity leave.

It's all there in the terms and conditions of being a crisis PM.

And I don't hate him. I think he is, as I have always thought, a solipsistic, lazy, useless twat.
    Speaks highly of you, I’m sure!
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,901
    Stocky said:

isam said:

How they must hate him!

How did you know?
    Just because I only happened to read the thread after the birth was announced
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,163
    Stirrings of trouble on the backbenches.

https://twitter.com/DavidDavisMP/status/1255413299874799617
This discussion has been closed.