Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Biden still trails in the WH2020 betting in spite of opening d

Comments

• Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,291
    Chris said:

Is Elon Musk in financial difficulty?

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1255380013488189440

It's always amusing when people say that lockdown is the result of a conspiracy by very rich people.
    Wrong sort of rich person...will be what the tinfoil hatters will say...he is a disruptor.
  • Options
    Daveyboy1961Daveyboy1961 Posts: 3,390
    I fear I have entered the room in the middle of a very personal arguement.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    DougSeal said:

DougSeal said:

Searched the threads last night and found this post that I missed last night, I'm assuming this is what upset you Dougseal. Missed it with the change of thread last night.

DougSeal said:

DougSeal said:

DougSeal said:

eadric said:

ydoethur said:

Irving Berlin once famously told his accountant off for trying to reduce his tax bill. ‘Are you crazy? I love this country! I WANT to pay my share of tax.’

At a more modest level I had the same conversation when I came back to Britain after being elected, and asked an accountant to recommend a fund for my savings that didn't use any tax avoidance or offshore havens. He was genuinely baffled by the stipulation - not opposed to it, but just bemused, as though I'd said I only wanted to invest in Bulgarian bonds.

As for IHT, I'm with Kinabalu - part of the deal of living in Britain is to pay a fair share, not avoid it. If that's mostly when I'm dead, so much the better.
    You don’t have kids tho. So there’s that.
    Why is that in any way relevant to Nick’s point?
    Its easy not to want to pass something to your kids if you don't have any.
    This is a discussion about IHT which taxes estates not offspring. You don’t need to have children to pass on an estate. Unless you are suggesting people without kids care less than those with?
    Yes I am suggesting that.
    Then you are an ignorant arsehole with no sense of empathy. You have no idea that the pain many people without children go through and then to be told, constantly, that we are somehow further emotionally defective by shits like you just rubs their noses in it. You have kids. Good for you. Wallow in your self righteousness and your sense of superiority.
    I'm not self-righteous, I have no sense of superiority and I never once said that anyone is emotionally defective. That is all on you not me, you're putting words in my mouth I never said.

Of course anyone who doesn't have children can care for others whether it be pets, nieces or nephews, brothers or sisters etc - but caring for a child, looking after them every day etc as they grow up is simply different to a relationship with a sibling you grew up with or someone you see every now and then.

And so on the topic of inheritance which is what we were talking about parents will care more to pass on something to their children than non-parents will who can't pass anything to their children because they don't have any. That's not a defect its just what it is! And caring to pass something on to a sibling or niece or nephew is different to passing something on to your child - again it just is what it is. That's not defective.

PS you can be a parent without biologically having a child of your own genes. Anyone who adopts a child etc is a parent. Similarly someone who fathers a child biologically but never has anything to do with them is not a parent. Being a parent is not about genetics.
    That’s not what you said. Don’t backtrack. You suggested, by your own admission, that people with kids care more than those without. You are a man who cannot envisage anything beyond his own experience and openly suggested people without that experience are less able to “care”. Have you ever stood in a hospital while your dreams of children literally, quite literally, died in your arms? You, tosser that you are, suggest that that tragedy makes such people less likely to care. You have no empathy and such lack of empathy is highly suggestive of psychopathy. You are, as I said, an arsehole.
    Its called context. Care to pass something on the subject of inheritance tax that we were talking about yes absolutely.

If you misread what I wrote then I'm sorry it offended you. Of course non-parents can care about other things other people, I never said otherwise. Of course people who have undergone tragedy can care about that.

And again anyone who adopts or otherwise looks after a child that isn't biologically theirs is a parent. But in the context you asked my answer was and remains yes.
    You made an explicit statement. It has nothing to do with context. I now understand why you hated Theresa May so much. You really are a nasty nasty man.
    You are being nasty and making personal insults and statements not me.

It had everything to do with context. Everything has to do with context. The context was a discussion about Inheritance Tax. I will quote again the exact words used.

NickP: "As for IHT, I'm with Kinabalu - part of the deal of living in Britain is to pay a fair share, not avoid it. If that's mostly when I'm dead, so much the better."

eadric: "You don’t have kids tho. So there’s that. "

DougSeal: "Why is that in any way relevant to Nick’s point?" [my note here - Nick's point was on IHT]

Philip_Thompson: "Its easy not to want to pass something to your kids if you don't have any." [my note here - again about passing on to kids, IHT discussion]

DougSeal: "This is a discussion about IHT which taxes estates not offspring. You don’t need to have children to pass on an estate. Unless you are suggesting people without kids care less than those with?" [my note here - even here you're still talking about the context of IHT]

We're not talking about generic caring. We're talking about passing on something via inheritance and especially to one's children. That is the conversation. If you read more to it - despite even you saying it was about IHT then that is on you not me.

And when you calm down and realise you're wrong feel free to apologise at your leisure for calling me names repeatedly. I've never called you a name. Oh and maybe apologise for thinking I was trying a zinger when I said I'm sorry [for a typo] because my children were distracting me and I made a typo. That was no zinger its literally true.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,563

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

kinabalu said:

Stocky said:

Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

On the face of it Biden has a clear poll lead against Trump so should be favourite.
    However punters may be sticking with Trump as his supporters seem much more enthusiastic than Biden's. Biden faces the problem that John Kerry or Mitt Romney faced, a vote for him seems to be more against the incumbent than for them

https://twitter.com/Politics_Polls/status/1255310629629542401?s=19

In the current climate, excitement is just not a particularly important metric.

Prospective Democratic voters are pretty damned determined to get rid of Trump; they'd vote for a ham sandwich in preference.

And who but fools are excited about an election when the economy is crashing and there are millions of unemployed, and while the pandemic still menaces ?
    Well, our very own kinabalu has said that he thinks that a re-elected Trump would be more worrisome than a global pandemic.
    :smile: - I'll revise down to "equally worrying" but no further.

But just to say again, I cannot see a 2nd term for Trump. To re-elect him having seen how he behaves in office and when he has zero tangible achievements to his name apart from appointing a misogynist drunk to the Supreme Court, would mean that America has gone completely loco. It would render them a rogue nation. Beyond the pale. It could happen - of course it could, he's the incumbent - but I'd be wanting a LOT longer than even money on it.
    Why does re electing Trump render the US more rogue than Brazil electing Bolsonaro, India re electing Modi, Russia re electing Putin, Israel re electing Netanyahu, Russia re electing Putin, Hungary re electing Orban, Italy electing Berlusconi or even us re electing Boris?

If voters want to elect or re elect a populist that is up to them, the US will still be the largest economy and military on earth and we will still have to deal with them
    Trump is not a populist imo. Rather, he ran as a populist but has governed as an elitist GOP insider.
    No, Romney or Jeb Bush would have governed as elitist GOP insiders, Trump has not
    No, ignore the rhetoric and look at the reality. Trump's record is appointing Republican justices, cutting taxes for corporations and billionaires, and trying to axe Obamacare. All pre-existing House GOP positions, and none that can be described as populist. Trade wars are the exception. Incidentally, this is why I do not accept that Trump and Boris are interchangeable.
    Hmmmm...

Boris (pre COVID19) - Minimum wage rise, internet transaction tax, NHS funding increase, banning fracking, more offshore wind farms, and speeding up the retirement of coal fired power stations.

Not a very Trumpian set of policies.

• Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,618
    Ok this is the best one from someone I know with BDS - it's convenient hat his kid was born on Wednesday, until there is a picture he won't believe that the baby was born and this is just being used as a way out of PMQs with the mighty Starmer.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,138
    TGOHF666 said:

Chris said:

TGOHF666 said:

Chris said:

TGOHF666 said:

kinabalu said:

Ave_it said:

isam said:

Cyclefree said:

Ave_it said:

Well done Boris and Carrie

LOL at all the hard left halfwits posting on here earlier criticising him for not attending PMQs!

Point of order. That was before the news about the baby was known. Perfectly fine for him to miss PMQs to be with his child. Not fine for him to be back at work and miss crucial aspects of his work if he is not yet well enough to work. He should use his paternity leave to get himself fully well again and then, when he is back at work, he needs to do the key aspects of the job, including PMQs.

Accountability for the PM is essential in a Parliamentary democracy.
    The point is they were attacking him for something, based on speculation, that suited their bias - they didn’t know the whole story, as always.
    Doesn't change who we are talking about. A man typified by laziness. Those that criticise him are not somehow disallowed from doing so because he has had yet another child by yet another partner, and that he has recently recovered from illness.
    The hard left on here don't understand anything. They post their drivel on here everyday, anything to do this country and the ordinary people down. Can you imagine what it would be like if Corbyn was running this?
    Almost certainly a significantly lower UK death toll from Covid-19.
    Corbyn:

wouldnt have used the army
    wouldn't have engaged the private sector to help on testing, ventilators and PPE.
    would have nationalised Astra Zeneca to search for a vaccine and scratched his head when the staff resigned en mass.
    would have nationalised supermarkets and toilet paper production
    would have drafted in the Russian army to enforce the lockdown
    Ridiculous. He would have drafted in the yellow, slitty-eyed, disease-spreading Chinese army to enforce the lockdown.

He is a communist, after all!
    Yes - he would probably have flown to Wuhan for a conference with the WHO, China, Vietnam and Cuba.
    Yes, and stored vials of their filthy, disease-infested saliva to rub into the faces of British pensioners (including Captain Tom), children and babes in arms.
    The least they deserve for voting for Brexit and Boris ?
    Slight confusion there, because obviously if Corbyn were in charge, people wouldn't have voted for Boris.

But essentially you are right, and there is no fathoming the evil Jeremy Corbyn would stoop to. The only reason he would refrain from rubbing the filthy Chinese saliva into the faces of those British people would be if he could instead send it to an evil Communist laboratory to devise a way of making it more infectious to their families, so that he could kill a larger number of people. Preferably everyone on earth, knowing him.
  • Options
    Nice and genuine words from Starmer
  • Options

Chris said:

It's always amusing when people say that lockdown is the result of a conspiracy by very rich people.
    Wrong sort of rich person...will be what the tinfoil hatters will say...he is a disruptor.
    It depends what business you are in - Jeff Bezos is doing very, very well.
  • Options

Given how unwilling jezza was to ever make a decision tough issues like trident, brexit or antisemitism without months and months of can kicking biding behind process, before even considering he is a man of limited intelligence surrounded by a cabinet of even less brain power...we would still be waiting for the result of a labour party membership vote on how to proceed with coronavirus.

Your better than that Francis

Far right posters like Chris, Ave_it, Felix, TGOHF666 aren't
    Wow. I take that as a compliment to my art.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    MaxPB said:

Ok this is the best one from someone I know with BDS - it's convenient hat his kid was born on Wednesday, until there is a picture he won't believe that the baby was born and this is just being used as a way out of PMQs with the mighty Starmer.

What a numpty. A picture would prove nothing, it could be someone else's baby.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,137
    If the UK had seen Hong Kong and in January had gone "Right - lockdown - now. No flights in or out. Returnees in 14 day quarantine" - it might have saved many lives. But can you imagine the squeals from the media chatterati, deprived of their skiing trips? "For what? We haven't got any Covid...."
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,988
    edited April 2020
    MaxPB said:

Didn’t want to go 2-0 down to The Forensic One!
  • Options

Chris said:

It depends what business you are in - Jeff Bezos is doing very, very well.
    More seriously this is a genuine concerning part of this. The likes of Amazon were already incredibly powerful, the longer this goes on, the worse the outcome for many companies, further consolidating things with the likes of Amazon.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,989

MaxPB said:

What a numpty. A picture would prove nothing, it could be someone else's baby.
    Just an afternoon snack, nothing more.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Have they no heard of deep fakes?
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

Shocked he isnt just creating some more wealth.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,554
    edited April 2020

If the UK had seen Hong Kong and in January had gone "Right - lockdown - now. No flights in or out. Returnees in 14 day quarantine" - it might have saved many lives. But can you imagine the squeals from the media chatterati, deprived of their skiing trips? "For what? We haven't got any Covid...."

Exactly, even on here back in January it was Eadric/Byronic saying it was the end of the world and that was it.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Shocked he isnt just creating some more wealth.
    Why do you think there's a free market right now?
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,691
    On names for Baby Bozo:

How about Jean-Claude?
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,986
    I think Musk will be OK, demand for your own personal enclosed, virus free travel pod (Aka a car) will still be there. He's also delivered on the CPAPs (Which seem to be more effective than ventilators) for US hospitals.
    His biggest issues are probably supply chain disruption for his cars and reduced demand generally (Slightly contradicting my initial sentence) for big ticket items which could affect Tesla sales...
  • Options

There was no obvious need to do so in January. But if had UK had just done that in early March, when lots of people were close to begging the government to take action, it might have saved many lives too.
  • Options
    TGOHF666TGOHF666 Posts: 2,052
    Starmer seems more subdued today - was expecting Boris ?
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820

There was no basis to do that. Remember that in the early stages we were doing really well at tracking and isolating each case that occurred, and it looked at the time that that would continue to be the best approach. What people who criticise the government for not taking more drastic action earlier are missing (or are conveniently forgetting) is that the outbreak in Northern Italy wan't picked up for some considerable time. By the time the Italians realised how bad things were, it had already spread, and it was that which suddenly disrupted the track-and-isolate approach.
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,219

DougSeal said:

DougSeal said:

Searched the threads last night and found this post that I missed last night, I'm assuming this is what upset you Dougseal. Missed it with the change of thread last night.

DougSeal said:

DougSeal said:

DougSeal said:

eadric said:

ydoethur said:

Irving Berlin once famously told his accountant off for trying to reduce his tax bill. ‘Are you crazy? I love this country! I WANT to pay my share of tax.’

At a more modest level I had the same conversation when I came back to Britain after being elected, and asked an accountant to recommend a fund for my savings that didn't use any tax avoidance or offshore havens. He was genuinely baffled by the stipulation - not opposed to it, but just bemused, as though I'd said I only wanted to invest in Bulgarian bonds.

As for IHT, I'm with Kinabalu - part of the deal of living in Britain is to pay a fair share, not avoid it. If that's mostly when I'm dead, so much the better.
    This is a discussion about IHT which taxes estates not offspring. You don’t need to have children to pass on an estate. Unless you are suggesting people without kids care less than those with?
    Then you are an ignorant arsehole with no sense of empathy. You have no idea that the pain many people without children go through and then to be told, constantly, that we are somehow further emotionally defective by shits like you just rubs their noses in it. You have kids. Good for you. Wallow in your self righteousness and your sense of superiority.
    I'm not self-righteous, I have no sense of superiority and I never once said that anyone is emotionally defective. That is all on you not me, you're putting words in my mouth I never said.

Of course anyone who doesn't have children can care for others whether it be pets, nieces or nephews, brothers or sisters etc - but caring for a child, looking after them every day etc as they grow up is simply different to a relationship with a sibling you grew up with or someone you see every now and then.

And so on the topic of inheritance which is what we were talking about parents will care more to pass on something to their children than non-parents will who can't pass anything to their children because they don't have any. That's not a defect its just what it is! And caring to pass something on to a sibling or niece or nephew is different to passing something on to your child - again it just is what it is. That's not defective.

PS you can be a parent without biologically having a child of your own genes. Anyone who adopts a child etc is a parent. Similarly someone who fathers a child biologically but never has anything to do with them is not a parent. Being a parent is not about genetics.
    That’s not what you said. Don’t backtrack. You suggested, by your own admission, that people with kids care more than those without. You are a man who cannot envisage anything beyond his own experience and openly suggested people without that experience are less able to “care”. Have you ever stood in a hospital while your dreams of children literally, quite literally, died in your arms? You, tosser that you are, suggest that that tragedy makes such people less likely to care. You have no empathy and such lack of empathy is highly suggestive of psychopathy. You are, as I said, an arsehole.
    Its called context. Care to pass something on the subject of inheritance tax that we were talking about yes absolutely.

If you misread what I wrote then I'm sorry it offended you. Of course non-parents can care about other things other people, I never said otherwise. Of course people who have undergone tragedy can care about that.

And again anyone who adopts or otherwise looks after a child that isn't biologically theirs is a parent. But in the context you asked my answer was and remains yes.
    You made an explicit statement. It has nothing to do with context. I now understand why you hated Theresa May so much. You really are a nasty nasty man.

It had everything to do with context. Everything has to do with context. The context was a discussion about Inheritance Tax. I will quote again the exact words used.

NickP: "As for IHT, I'm with Kinabalu - part of the deal of living in Britain is to pay a fair share, not avoid it. If that's mostly when I'm dead, so much the better."

DougSeal: "Why is that in any way relevant to Nick’s point?" [my note here - Nick's point was on IHT]

Philip_Thompson: "Its easy not to want to pass something to your kids if you don't have any." [my note here - again about passing on to kids, IHT discussion]

DougSeal: "This is a discussion about IHT which taxes estates not offspring. You don’t need to have children to pass on an estate. Unless you are suggesting people without kids care less than those with?" [my note here - even here you're still talking about the context of IHT]

We're not talking about generic caring. We're talking about passing on something via inheritance and especially to one's children. That is the conversation. If you read more to it - despite even you saying it was about IHT then that is on you not me.

And when you calm down and realise you're wrong feel free to apologise at your leisure for calling me names repeatedly. I've never called you a name. Oh and maybe apologise for thinking I was trying a zinger when I said I'm sorry [for a typo] because my children were distracting me and I made a typo. That was no zinger its literally true.
    I would wait for an apology from you - but sociopaths never apologise. What they do is ex post facto seek to justify their behaviour. As here.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,514

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

kinabalu said:

Stocky said:

Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

On the face of it Biden has a clear poll lead against Trump so should be favourite.
    However punters may be sticking with Trump as his supporters seem much more enthusiastic than Biden's. Biden faces the problem that John Kerry or Mitt Romney faced, a vote for him seems to be more against the incumbent than for them

https://twitter.com/Politics_Polls/status/1255310629629542401?s=19

In the current climate, excitement is just not a particularly important metric.

Prospective Democratic voters are pretty damned determined to get rid of Trump; they'd vote for a ham sandwich in preference.

And who but fools are excited about an election when the economy is crashing and there are millions of unemployed, and while the pandemic still menaces ?
    Well, our very own kinabalu has said that he thinks that a re-elected Trump would be more worrisome than a global pandemic.
    :smile: - I'll revise down to "equally worrying" but no further.

But just to say again, I cannot see a 2nd term for Trump. To re-elect him having seen how he behaves in office and when he has zero tangible achievements to his name apart from appointing a misogynist drunk to the Supreme Court, would mean that America has gone completely loco. It would render them a rogue nation. Beyond the pale. It could happen - of course it could, he's the incumbent - but I'd be wanting a LOT longer than even money on it.
    Why does re electing Trump render the US more rogue than Brazil electing Bolsonaro, India re electing Modi, Russia re electing Putin, Israel re electing Netanyahu, Russia re electing Putin, Hungary re electing Orban, Italy electing Berlusconi or even us re electing Boris?

If voters want to elect or re elect a populist that is up to them, the US will still be the largest economy and military on earth and we will still have to deal with them
    Trump is not a populist imo. Rather, he ran as a populist but has governed as an elitist GOP insider.
    No, Romney or Jeb Bush would have governed as elitist GOP insiders, Trump has not
    No, ignore the rhetoric and look at the reality. Trump's record is appointing Republican justices, cutting taxes for corporations and billionaires, and trying to axe Obamacare. All pre-existing House GOP positions, and none that can be described as populist. Trade wars are the exception. Incidentally, this is why I do not accept that Trump and Boris are interchangeable.
    Hmmmm...

Boris (pre COVID19) - Minimum wage rise, internet transaction tax, NHS funding increase, banning fracking, more offshore wind farms, and speeding up the retirement of coal fired power stations.

Not a very Trumpian set of policies.

Indeed. As I've often said, Boris won by being a better Jeremy Corbyn. Now, we cannot be sure that he'd have implemented many of these policies but probably he would have done. Trump is not a populist but pretended to be one in order to get elected. Boris probably is one, though tbh I'm not really sure it is a very useful concept. Certainly Boris is not a Conservative in the style of May, Cameron, Major and Thatcher. As I posted in December, both sides' supporters will need a lot of reverse-ferreting as Boris does what Corbyn promised.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,205
    Not as good from Starmer this week. It’s always a tricky job and will be difficult to do this week after week. I wonder at what point he pivots to the economy?
  • Options
    TGOHF666 said:

He is trying to be balanced and it is a difficult job as there is a danger the public will not like political point scoring
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

DougSeal said:

DougSeal said:

DougSeal said:

DougSeal said:

DougSeal said:

eadric said:

ydoethur said:

I would wait for an apology from you - but sociopaths never apologise. What they do is ex post facto seek to justify their behaviour. As here.
    I'm sorry you're upset. I'm sorry you've had a tragedy in your life but that's not on me.

I have no need to justify, I explained and requoted everything. If you want to be angry with me, if it makes you feel better, then go for it. You went nasty, I didn't. You can continue to be nasty and bitter and angry with me for no good reason or you can apologise or do whatever you like.
  • Options
    edited April 2020

There was no obvious need to do so in January. But if had UK had just done that in early March, when lots of people were close to begging the government to take action, it might have saved many lives too.
    Indeed. It was obviously what was going to happen from late February, when cases linked to Northern Italy started to appear in so many other countries.
  • Options
    The elections aren't for a year. No reason it needs to be delayed that long.
  • Options

TGOHF666 said:

He is trying to be balanced and it is a difficult job as there is a danger the public will not like political point scoring
    Hes gone all Corbyn now - waffling. Poor.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,874

Ave_it said:

kinabalu said:

Ave_it said:

isam said:

Cyclefree said:

Ave_it said:

LOL at all the hard left halfwits posting on here earlier criticising him for not attending PMQs!

Point of order. That was before the news about the baby was known. Perfectly fine for him to miss PMQs to be with his child. Not fine for him to be back at work and miss crucial aspects of his work if he is not yet well enough to work. He should use his paternity leave to get himself fully well again and then, when he is back at work, he needs to do the key aspects of the job, including PMQs.

The point is they were attacking him for something, based on speculation, that suited their bias - they didn’t know the whole story, as always.
    Doesn't change who we are talking about. A man typified by laziness. Those that criticise him are not somehow disallowed from doing so because he has had yet another child by yet another partner, and that he has recently recovered from illness.
    The hard left on here don't understand anything. They post their drivel on here everyday, anything to do this country and the ordinary people down. Can you imagine what it would be like if Corbyn was running this?
    LOL you wouldn't even have had a response yet from a Corbyn government
    Irrelevant. there is not a Corbyn government. there is a Johnson/Cummings one. So far, I would give them 8/10 for the business support from the Chancellor, 8/10 for the emergency hospital provision, 1/10 for general preparedness, 2/10 for testing implementation, 0/10 for their ridiculous JCB/Dyson/ventilator stunt, and 2/10 for general leadership in a crisis. Corbyn might have been worse, but it is totally irrelevant and does not let this bunch of amateurs off the hook. Other than the Chancellor they look like a bunch of over promoted district councillors.
    Yep.

5/10 for comms, too.

Confusing messages about almost every aspect of the pandemic.
  • Options

Ave_it said:

kinabalu said:

Ave_it said:

isam said:

Cyclefree said:

Ave_it said:

Irrelevant. there is not a Corbyn government. there is a Johnson/Cummings one. So far, I would give them 8/10 for the business support from the Chancellor, 8/10 for the emergency hospital provision, 1/10 for general preparedness, 2/10 for testing implementation, 0/10 for their ridiculous JCB/Dyson/ventilator stunt, and 2/10 for general leadership in a crisis. Corbyn might have been worse, but it is totally irrelevant and does not let this bunch of amateurs off the hook. Other than the Chancellor they look like a bunch of over promoted district councillors.
    Yep.

5/10 for comms, too.

Remarkably high compliance for such confusing messaging.
  • Options
    Speaker tells Starmer to stop waffling.
  • Options
    TGOHF666 said:

It’s like he’s playing to a jury.
  • Options
    edited April 2020

Ave_it said:

kinabalu said:

Ave_it said:

isam said:

Cyclefree said:

Ave_it said:

You mean that stunt that has resulted in 1000s of CPAP masks that are saving lives daily. And has also produced 100s of new ventilators as well (with a lot more could have been produced if required).

Yeah, crap stunt that was. I wish the government response to testing and PPE had been as "crap". We definitely would have had the 100k a day testing capacity weeks ago if they had put out a similar challenge.

The Oxford antibody testing that is showing promise appears to be the result of a similar challenge. Again it is a shame we trusted the Chinese companies too much and although we gave money to a British company (who have got nowhere), a wider challenge from the get-go might have got the worlds first highly accurate test much faster.
  • Options

There was no basis to do that. Remember that in the early stages we were doing really well at tracking and isolating each case that occurred, and it looked at the time that that would continue to be the best approach. What people who criticise the government for not taking more drastic action earlier are missing (or are conveniently forgetting) is that the outbreak in Northern Italy wan't picked up for some considerable time. By the time the Italians realised how bad things were, it had already spread, and it was that which suddenly disrupted the track-and-isolate approach.
    What people who criticise people who criticise the government for not taking more drastic action earlier are missing (or are conveniently forgetting) is that the outbreak in Northern Italy was headline news well before we locked down, and that many people were begging for a lockdown here so that we didn't go the same way as Northern Italy!
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,047

MaxPB said:

I dunno; Wednesday's child is full of woe.
  • Options
    NerysHughesNerysHughes Posts: 3,351
    tlg86 said:

TGOHF666 said:

I don't get the love in for Starmer from last week. He is just so dull. Lisa Nandy would have been such a better choice.
  • Options
    edited April 2020

Ave_it said:

kinabalu said:

Ave_it said:

isam said:

Cyclefree said:

Ave_it said:

You mean that stunt that has resulted in 1000s of CPAP masks that are saving lives daily. And has also produced 100s of new ventilators as well (with a lot more could have been produced if required).

Yeah, crap stunt that was. I wish the government response to testing and PPE had been as "crap".

They probably think the EU scheme, which has so far delivered zero pieces of equipment, is wonderful.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Ave_it said:

kinabalu said:

Ave_it said:

isam said:

Cyclefree said:

Ave_it said:

Yep.

5/10 for comms, too.

The core message was well executed.
    That’s what the 5 points are for.

Any nuance around that? Fuggeddaboutit.

Comparator countries have managed to find a way to talk to their citizens as adults.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

My sister is proof of that!
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,554
    edited April 2020

Yeah, crap stunt that was.

It's Dyson the don't like, the scheme itself has done far better than I would have expected, and certainly a hell of a lot better than the EU scheme.

Anyone interested in this "failure" can read the news from yesterday.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/update-on-the-ventilator-challenge

I hope we have many more failures like this.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

How nice!
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

TGOHF666 said:

He may have to change tack and be more succinct and much less like a lawyer in a court house
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

TGOHF666 said:

The Speaker can extend PMQs to fit in more MPs, like the last chap used to do.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,988
    TGOHF666 said:

Mundo said:

Baby names - Young Winston?

(Always assuming there isn't a previous Winston in the brood. In which case - Youngest Winston?)

Would not be amazed to see “Aneurin” in there somewhere

I suspect Dominic Cummings will decide on the baby's name and Johnson, like the pathetic puppy he is, will acquiesce. Perhaps the poor child will be called Brexit Johnson.
    Brexit Enoch Dominic Winston Johnson.

That’s what we called ours! Can’t have two boys with the same name in the same year at Eton!
  • Options

RobD said:

Ave_it said:

kinabalu said:

Ave_it said:

isam said:

Cyclefree said:

Ave_it said:

Yep.

5/10 for comms, too.

The core message was well executed.
    That’s what the 5 points are for.

Any nuance around that? Fuggeddaboutit.

Comparator countries have managed to find a way to talk to their citizens as adults.
    The core message is all that matters.
  • Options
    Starmer banging on about school's reopening.

Its not time yet.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,222
    isam said:

Cyclefree said:

Ave_it said:

That applies just as equally to those defending him.
  • Options

Ave_it said:

kinabalu said:

Ave_it said:

isam said:

Cyclefree said:

Ave_it said:

Yeah, crap stunt that was. I wish the government response to testing and PPE had been as "crap". We definitely would have had the 100k a day testing capacity weeks ago if they had put out a similar challenge.
    2/10 for leadership?, the Country are doing what Boris asked, there are no riots here like we have seen in Paris, I would say that is a sign if good leadership.
  • Options
    I see that a train is to be named after Captain Tom.

Surely the least the PM can do is to name his new son Captain Tom Moore Johnson Symonds.
  • Options
    glw said:

Yeah, crap stunt that was.

It's Dyson the don't like, the scheme itself has done far better than I would have expected, and certainly a hell of a lot better than the EU scheme.
    And the only person who lost out on that, was Dyson, £25 million worth. The UK taxpayer, zero.

If every public private partnership worked like this, the public would be quids in.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,403
    edited April 2020

As I said there is a debate to be had as to whether it would have been the right thing to do. But during this time Boris went missing. I refuse to believe he was following closely the developments of "this thing" that was creeping up on the world because as we have seen he has changed his advice spectacularly and very quickly.

In particular I remember when someone at a prezzer asked him whether the police would be enforcing a lockdown he recoiled as if it was the most ridiculous thing he had ever heard. And then the very next day (or so) he announced that the police would enforce the lockdown.
  • Options

Ave_it said:

kinabalu said:

Ave_it said:

isam said:

Cyclefree said:

Ave_it said:

Yep.

5/10 for comms, too.

Just contrast Merkel's clear explanation of the need to keep Rt below 1 with Johnson's ridiculous waffle comparing the virus to a mugger.
  • Options
    Raab plays the old trick of using the sixth answer to rant against LotO.
  • Options
    Politics as normal from the SNP. Banging on about Brexit.
  • Options
    BluestBlueBluestBlue Posts: 4,556

On names for Baby Bozo:

How about Jean-Claude?

I'd go with Maximus Johnson, mostly for the lolz.

Or Sextus / Septimus, just to irritate people who don't like him (a) quoting Latin; (b) refusing to confirm how many kids he has.

I suppose 'Magic' has been taken too?
  • Options

Ave_it said:

kinabalu said:

Ave_it said:

isam said:

Cyclefree said:

Ave_it said:

2/10 for leadership?, the Country are doing what Boris asked, there are no riots here like we have seen in Paris, I would say that is a sign if good leadership.
    I have to say I am quite surprised that we haven't had any real reports of da yuff trying it on.
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,219

DougSeal said:

DougSeal said:

DougSeal said:

DougSeal said:

DougSeal said:

DougSeal said:

eadric said:

ydoethur said:

I'm sorry you're upset. I'm sorry you've had a tragedy in your life but that's not on me.

I have no need to justify, I explained and requoted everything. If you want to be angry with me, if it makes you feel better, then go for it. You went nasty, I didn't. You can continue to be nasty and bitter and angry with me for no good reason or you can apologise or do whatever you like.
    "..that's not on me." Take a look at yourself. Do you really think I would blame that on "you"? You are an even bigger narcissist than I thought - an impressive feat. Go online, look at 192.com and you will find millions of people who have never heard of you and have their own lives, their own feelings. My anger will ultimately subside and be replaced by sympathy for someone as utterly devoid of human empathy or connection as you clearly are. It must be lonely living in a reality where you only recognise the conciousness or feelings of yourself.
  • Options

Its not time yet.

Why not

Ave_it said:

kinabalu said:

Ave_it said:

isam said:

Cyclefree said:

Ave_it said:

Dumb comparison.
    There are always riots in Paris.
  • Options

Its not time yet.

Raab's closing remarks with reference to Germany's problems were well stated
  • Options
    Chris said:

I see that a train is to be named after Captain Tom.

Surely the least the PM can do is to name his new son Captain Tom Moore Johnson Symonds.

A Class 800 - surely he deserves something better than that!
  • Options

His shrine to the smaller of Edinburgh's football teams seems to be expanding faster than his waistline.
  • Options
    edited April 2020

Ave_it said:

kinabalu said:

Ave_it said:

isam said:

Cyclefree said:

Ave_it said:

Yep.

5/10 for comms, too.

Just contrast Merkel's clear explanation of the need to keep Rt below 1 with Johnson's ridiculous waffle comparing the virus to a mugger.
    Witty and Vallance have given just as clear explanations as Merkel. Boris at press conferences has sensibly deferred to them to explain the science. I have no issue with Boris playing the cheerleader role, trying to keep the nation upbeat.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,252
    TGOHF666 said:

Ave_it said:

TOPPING said:

Ave_it said:

kinabalu said:

Ave_it said:

isam said:

Cyclefree said:

Ave_it said:

What if a bear and a crocodile had fought in the House of Commons for the right to be PM?

What would the response to Covid-19 have been in that case?
    I don't know but as Boris has been identified as a *Lion we are in the best position!
    *a fertile Brexity Lion...
    https://twitter.com/uk4everbritish/status/1254805947970699268?s=20

Will the Lardy Lothario make it to double figures d'ye think?
    JRM must be crapping it that his title of most fecund Tory is under threat.
  • Options

Ave_it said:

kinabalu said:

Ave_it said:

isam said:

Cyclefree said:

Ave_it said:

Yep.

5/10 for comms, too.

Johnson's sensible "waffle" is being listened to by the British public who are following his advice to stay at home. Boris is speaking human to the men and women at home.
  • Options
    Who was the nutjob MP that wanted Britain at the back of the queue for a vaccine ?

Bonkers.
  • Options

Ave_it said:

kinabalu said:

Ave_it said:

isam said:

Cyclefree said:

Ave_it said:

Yep.

5/10 for comms, too.

Is it entirely fair to compare someone with a doctorate in physics to someone with a 2:1 in classics?
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,222

Cyclefree said:

Ave_it said:

Cyclefree said:

Ave_it said:

The reports emanating from government sources of Boris being away from PMQ (and which the hard left halfwits were commenting on) would have been in the knowledge of the (then) imminent birth which couldn't be made public at the time.
    Knowledge which was not known to those commenting who were commenting on here on the basis of what was publicly said, namely that Boris was not yet full fit. Note that when he made his speech on Monday some commented that he seemed not be 100% well. Unsurprisingly.

Best he gets properly better then returns to work full-time.
    If he's not 100% well then a staged return to work would be entirely appropriate would it not?
    He should concentrate on the key parts of the job, of which PMQs is one, and not bother with photo opportunities and the like.

That sort of staged return. Not the sort which allows him to do the easy stuff and avoid the important parts.

And if he is unable to do the job then there is an obvious solution. Being PM is not a sine cure or reward. Not at any time but especially not now.
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

DougSeal said:

DougSeal said:

DougSeal said:

DougSeal said:

DougSeal said:

DougSeal said:

eadric said:

ydoethur said:

"..that's not on me." Take a look at yourself. Do you really think I would blame that on "you"? You are an even bigger narcissist than I thought - an impressive feat. Go online, look at 192.com and you will find millions of people who have never heard of you and have their own lives, their own feelings. My anger will ultimately subside and be replaced by sympathy for someone as utterly devoid of human empathy or connection as you clearly are. It must be lonely living in a reality where you only recognise the conciousness or feelings of yourself.
    So once more nothing to say about the context, just more ranting from yourself. Oh well I've engaged enough with a troll calling people names. Goodbye.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,792
    Raab's answer on care homes disingenuous.
    And Starmer did a poor job of holding the government to account on that.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

Ave_it said:

Cyclefree said:

Ave_it said:

The reports emanating from government sources of Boris being away from PMQ (and which the hard left halfwits were commenting on) would have been in the knowledge of the (then) imminent birth which couldn't be made public at the time.
    Knowledge which was not known to those commenting who were commenting on here on the basis of what was publicly said, namely that Boris was not yet full fit. Note that when he made his speech on Monday some commented that he seemed not be 100% well. Unsurprisingly.

If he's not 100% well then a staged return to work would be entirely appropriate would it not?
    He should concentrate on the key parts of the job, of which PMQs is one, and not bother with photo opportunities and the like.

That sort of staged return. Not the sort which allows him to do the easy stuff and avoid the important parts.

And if he is unable to do the job then there is an obvious solution. Being PM is not a sine cure or reward. Not at any time but especially not now.
    By your own admission the photo opportunity is the easy stuff. Wouldn't it make sense to start with the easy stuff in a staged return?
  • Options

Ave_it said:

kinabalu said:

Ave_it said:

isam said:

Cyclefree said:

Ave_it said:

I have to say I am quite surprised that we haven't had any real reports of da yuff trying it on.
    Its the Boris effect!!
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

Ave_it said:

Cyclefree said:

Ave_it said:

I love the fact that you think chatting shit with a non-entity is a 'key part of his job'. :smile:
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

Ave_it said:

Cyclefree said:

Ave_it said:

I can't recall him taking part in any photo opportunities since he returned to work and if he had then that would be something to criticise.

Do you accept that at prior times before this that all previous PMs have sometimes considered something else the PM needs to do is more important at that time than PMQs and sent a deputy instead?

If hypothetically the PM were able to have the energy to attend and give 100% to a COBR meeting or PMQs would you accept that COBR might at this time be the more important choice?
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

Ave_it said:

Cyclefree said:

Ave_it said:

I love the fact that you think chatting shit with a non-entity is a 'key part of his job'. :smile:
    Constitutional requirement, I'm afraid. :p
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,787
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,488

Pulpstar said:

@Philip_Thompson - For the point of your information - It was your comment that children should enjoy unique inheritance tax privilege.

I don't hold a strong view on this one either way, but remember the exchange from last night.

Thanks. I didn't suggest they should enjoy a unique privilege just that they would care more about passing on something to their children. Someone without kids won't care about passing on something to their kids by definition.
    I missed the original exchange, but FWIW didn't find anything you posted offensive. I'm lucky enough to have children now, but after three miscarriages, so have some experience on what it is like to be involuntarily childless (although only for a couple of years - I'm well aware that my limited experience is nothing compared to those who are not able to have children for whatever reason).

Having children doesn't change my view of IHT though - of course I want to pass things on to my children, but I've no problem with those things being taxed. It does however matter to me more that I have something to pass on.
  • Options

Ave_it said:

kinabalu said:

Ave_it said:

isam said:

Cyclefree said:

Ave_it said:

Yep.

5/10 for comms, too.

Johnson's sensible "waffle" is being listened to by the British public who are following his advice to stay at home. Boris is speaking human to the men and women at home.
    Hmm. The biggest Boris supporters in my milieu seem to thank that his advice applies to other people rather than themselves. It doesn't help that his advice comes across as "do as I say" rather than "do as I do" given that he managed to catch the disease himself some weeks after some ill-advised hand shaking. And the mugger stuff really didn't make much sense at all. How is that supposed to inform people's actions?
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,314
    TGOHF666 said:

Who was the nutjob MP that wanted Britain at the back of the queue for a vaccine ?

Bonkers.

Not watching after the Starmer bits. Presumably one of Corbyn's little minions though?
  • Options
    Chris said:

Ave_it said:

kinabalu said:

Ave_it said:

isam said:

Cyclefree said:

Ave_it said:

Yep.

5/10 for comms, too.

Is it entirely fair to compare someone with a doctorate in physics to someone with a 2:1 in classics?
    It's absolutely fair - Classics (or rather Greats or Literae Humaniores, please) is vastly superior.
  • Options
    eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,908
    edited April 2020
    Chris said:

Ave_it said:

kinabalu said:

Ave_it said:

isam said:

Cyclefree said:

Ave_it said:

Yep.

5/10 for comms, too.

But in this case it is the comparison between two heads of government both from large European countries.

So yes it is fair.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,787

They're hardly going to talk about testing, are they? Or Care Homes....

• Options
    EndaEnda Posts: 17

UK coronavirus deaths in hospitals is over 21000, whereas France hospital deaths are at about 15000 (the rest is care home deaths) despite France having been further ahead in its outbreak. It really doesn't seem to be getting enough analysis, why does the UK have so many dead despite seemingly not suffering overwhelming of hospitals? Its not like France has done well out of this crisis so its not an "unfair" comparison either (France had a similar number of ventilators to the UK at the start, they were slow to act, as bad at testing as the UK, not enough PPE). France also did actually see overwhelming of its Eastern region hot-spot whereas London never seemed to become quite as severe.

It is genuinely strange. Is it because there is less obesity in France?

Obesity will be one factor 19.8% of men in the UK are obese, in France its 15.3. Overweight is 60.2 vs 53.8. Among women its (UK vs France) Obesity: 20.4 : 15.3, overweight: 51.8 : 41.3.

https://ec.europa.eu/eurostat/statistics-explained/index.php?title=Overweight_and_obesity_-_BMI_statistics#Obesity_by_age_group

Another will be population density - near identical populations, in France spread over 2.3 times more land, although urbanisation (83.4 vs 80.4) is not that different.
    Has France seen a disproportionate number of deaths among their BME community?
  • Options

They're hardly going to talk about testing, are they? Or Care Homes....

Or garden centres.
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388

Ave_it said:

kinabalu said:

Ave_it said:

isam said:

Cyclefree said:

Yep.

5/10 for comms, too.

Hmm. The biggest Boris supporters in my milieu seem to thank that his advice applies to other people rather than themselves. It doesn't help that his advice comes across as "do as I say" rather than "do as I do" given that he managed to catch the disease himself some weeks after some ill-advised hand shaking. And the mugger stuff really didn't make much sense at all. How is that supposed to inform people's actions?
    The evidence stands for itself.

The UK has among the least draconian measures in Europe, but with perfectly good compliance.

Spain issued more fines in the first hour than the UK to date.
  • Options

Chris said:

Ave_it said:

kinabalu said:

Ave_it said:

isam said:

Cyclefree said:

Ave_it said:

Yep.

5/10 for comms, too.

It's absolutely fair - Classics (or rather Greats or Literae Humaniores, please) is vastly superior.
    True but irrelevant because Angela Merkel is a chemist and not a physicist.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,894
    MPs lining up to congratulate the PM

Brenda from Bristol says

You're joking?

Not another one!

Oh for Gods sake!
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

Chris said:

Ave_it said:

kinabalu said:

Ave_it said:

isam said:

Cyclefree said:

Ave_it said:

Yep.

5/10 for comms, too.

And it's a rubbish point anyway, because it's an O level maths issue. Merkel's exposition is clear, but vastly overrated.
  • Options

Ave_it said:

kinabalu said:

Ave_it said:

isam said:

Cyclefree said:

Yep.

5/10 for comms, too.

The evidence stands for itself.

The UK has among the least draconian measures in Europe, but with perfectly good compliance.

Spain issued more fines in the first hour than the UK to date.
    The compliance of the public, the capacity of the NHS throughout and the Furlough scheme are fantastic achievements by the Government.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,320

Ave_it said:

kinabalu said:

Ave_it said:

isam said:

Cyclefree said:

Ave_it said:

Yep.

5/10 for comms, too.

That we were meant to subliminally hear as "it's a bugger".

All good knockabout stuff - and he's great at it - but it's such a low bar.
  • Options

TGOHF666 said:

Bonkers.

Not watching after the Starmer bits. Presumably one of Corbyn's little minions though?
    To me the bizarre bit is that assumes that any vaccine will be made in one location - do some people think that it will be made in the lab that discovers it?

Oxford (for example) have said that they will not put any restrictions on usage of their work - that will mean that various vaccine production facilities round the world will (try) and start making anything they produce. Or am I missing something?
  • Options
    Eton Claudius Johnson, just for the initials
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,986
    edited April 2020

MPs lining up to congratulate the PM

Brenda from Bristol says

You're joking?

Not another one!

Oh for Gods sake!

@Tissue_Price retweeted

https://twitter.com/paulbristow79/status/1255450600684355586
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,792

TGOHF666 said:

Bonkers.

To me the bizarre bit is that assumes that any vaccine will be made in one location - do some people think that it will be made in the lab that discovers it?

Oxford (for example) have said that they will not put any restrictions on usage of their work - that will mean that various vaccine production facilities round the world will (try) and start making anything they produce. Or am I missing something?
    India is already setting up to be by some distance the largest manufacturer of that particular vaccine.
This discussion has been closed.