Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Biden still trails in the WH2020 betting in spite of opening d

12345679»

Comments

• Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,131
    eadric said:

An interesting analysis of the coronavirus ‘performance’ of 185 countries, ranked in order of effectiveness

It’s encouraging that in this list of 185 countries we are doing better than the mighty USA. Though it should be noted they are in 185th place, and we are 184th

https://limchiahau.github.io/2020/04/29/covid-update.html

The key stat should actually be death rate per head which that list gives little weight to, on that basis Spain, Italy, France and Belgium are all doing worse than we and the USA are
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,792
    kinabalu said:

Was this pic taken just after Priti was 'exonerated'?

https://twitter.com/PoliticsForAlI/status/1255159132157628422?s=20

Siri, show me the embodiment of smug pocket battleship.

She looks like she's off to bully some people.
    More like she just ate all the evidence.
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,736
    MikeL said:

Surely someone must ask about Test 5.

Raab said in his intro that it is the critical test - but he has changed it and nobody has noticed.

Sorry - I`m not watching - what did he change?
  • Options
    FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 3,909

Dominic Raab says the lockdown will not be eased until ministers know a "second peak" can be avoided.

This is such a hostage to fortune.

I thought they changed that to "a second peak that will overwhelm the NHS"?

Can someone ask whether they intend to
    a) Let this dribble on at as low a level as possible until there is a vaccine
    b) Let this continue at a higher level until herd immunity

It must be one or the other.

Maybe they've got confidence in this Oxford vaccine so have pivoted to a).
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,311
    Stocky said:

MikeL said:

Surely someone must ask about Test 5.

Raab said in his intro that it is the critical test - but he has changed it and nobody has noticed.

Sorry - I`m not watching - what did he change?
    They changed it yesterday from "no risk of 2nd peak" to "no risk of 2nd peak that will overwhelm NHS".
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,062
    DougSeal said:

malcolmg said:

TGOHF666 said:
    How would we ever know it is first time in the UK given they fiddle the numbers in England and never include them , you have to try and unpick them a month later from ONS. Easy fiddle rather than take it on the chin as Boris said.
    "Never include them". That pesky Westminster Government looking to hide the figures by releasing them through a that shadowy secretive body, the Office for National Statistics.

Never change, Malc, you're a gem.
    Obfuscation, split them , show them differently etc , different graphs so no-one has a clue what real numbers are and they can pretend they are not the worst in the developed world. Tories will never change.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Foxy said:

TOPPING said:

Nigelb said:

TOPPING said:

Nigelb said:

eadric said:

SKS open goal with Panorama highlighting the many PPE failings.

Misses

Its a throw in

I did worry that about Starmer (and I he's clearly a very intelligent principled guy) is that he's just dull. No ones going to go over the top for him, he's not going to get anyone every fired up and inspired.

He also seems to lack the 'common touch' of emotion and connectivity. He just doesn't 'move' you.
    He is literally the dullest politician in a generation. I can’t remember anyone more boring. He makes David Miliband look like Gabrielle d’Annunzio.

Ne me frego
    Dull can work very well - but only if you have damning evidence to lay before the jury.
    If you just don't have very much to say, then dull becomes excruciating.
    You would have thought that if dull is going to work against anyone it would be Boris, especially if his gloss is punctured ( @kle4 does that work?) or he is perceived simply to be too big a character to be PM for the circumstances and ends up with people laughing at not with him.

Charismatic leaders can brush lots off but not some tangible failure, whatever that may be - trailing in last in Europe in C-19, or somesuch who knows.

In that case, people might be rushing to dull. Don't forget people were in the mood for Boris after....Theresa DULL May.
    Dull on its own will not do the job.
    Dull plus substance might.

(And you could tarnish gloss; muddy it; discolour it
    But you'd puncture or scratch, even delaminate, a glossy veneer.)
    Dull vs flamboyant incompetent twat surely has a fighting chance.
    Not really. We are beyond the point of wanting dull competence in our leaders.

In the attention deficit modern world, with media both old and new shouting to try to get attention, flamboyant incompetence wins every time electorally.
    Thankfully right now we are at the rare point where the stars align and we are lucky enough to have flamboyant competence.
    How do we know? He's not there atm and anyway I thought government was by cabinet?
    This lot look as if it is drinks cabinet
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Pulpstar said:

I see hopes of economic bounceback are fading. Didn't take a rocket scientist to work out the V shaped OBR projection was head in the clouds mince.

And yet the Footsie breaks 6k today.
    long may it continue
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Is it just me or are the deaths today proportionately much worse in Scotland and Wales than England?

This isn't a nationalist point so please nobody jump on that but I'm curious why? Has there been a later peak there than in England?

Could be a later peak - possibly also different recording, e,g, inclusion of deaths outwith hospital, which Scotland does AFAIK.

This site (with no political bone to chew) seems to suggest a later peak, andf also slightly smaller total death rate overall pro rata in total.

https://www.travellingtabby.com/scotland-coronavirus-tracker

They report real numbers rather than the one two remove a few hundred in England.
  • Options
    kamski said:

kinabalu said:

kamski said:

kinabalu said:

malcolmg said:

kinabalu said:

eadric said:

Andy_JS said:
    Yes, on reflection he’s right. It looks like they’ve beaten it without entirely shagging their economy (tho they will still take a hit because of their export dependency)

Even more interesting, maybe, is their ICU performance. They haven’t reached capacity, despite having even fewer beds per capita, at the start, than the UK

In theory their laxer approach should have seen hospitals rammed as bad as Lombardy or Madrid. If not worse.
    Does not seem to compute. If Sweden has lower ICU capacity but higher Covid-19 incidence than us, why has their health system not struggled to cope?
    Obviously they treat outside ICU, not all intensive cases get ventilators only a very small amount.
    News I've just seen is that here in the UK one third of all the people hospitalized with Covid-19 since the start of the outbreak have died. One third! And the figure will end up higher since there are many patients in hospital now who have not yet died but will.

On this measure - your chances of responding to treatment - the disease is as bad as Ebola.

Frightening.
    Seems a bit unlikely that a third of Covid admissions to hospital have died, unless only extremely ill Covid patients are being admitted.

Do you have a source for this figure?
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/world-52466471?ns_mchannel=social&ns_source=twitter&ns_campaign=bbc_live&ns_linkname=5ea977ce5c8cf7066bdf942f&Third of hospitalised Covid-19 patients in UK have died, study finds&2020-04-29T12:57:44.650Z&ns_fee=0&pinned_post_locator=urn:asset:b72c9f95-a816-42fb-aa44-8f2e3588921a&pinned_post_asset_id=5ea977ce5c8cf7066bdf942f&pinned_post_type=share
    That is grim. I wonder if the UK should be admitting patients who are less ill (or earlier to put it another way)
    You are either on your last legs or VIP Boris brought in with a sniffle before you get admitted.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Alistair said:

Here is a piece of text the Kevin KcKenna wrote and had published in a national news paper, I have added the emphasis

I always have a wee chuckle with my atheist chums when they deride the mere concept of spirituality yet have no problems with the cost of an international space programme looking for life beyond the stars. Or when they stress the random nature of creation and everything in it but can’t explain why the seasons fall in the same order year after year (but that’s another debate for another time).

Kevin McKenna can safely be ignored on any topic.
    Do you have the perceptioin that his expressed opinion (except, of course, on the subject of being Irish in Scotland) changes quite markedly depending on the newspaper for which he is writing? Or am I being unfair?
    His opinions do tend to wander about a bit.
  • Options

Is it just me or are the deaths today proportionately much worse in Scotland and Wales than England?

This isn't a nationalist point so please nobody jump on that but I'm curious why? Has there been a later peak there than in England?

You think Scots won't jump on "their PPE having been stolen by England"? Good luck....

This must be the sole reason for their change in fortunes. Not long ago, the Scots were telling us of their superior results fighting Covid-19 as against England.

Then someone looked in their care homes.
    Well once England add all their backlogs we will be back to normal , significantly lower than in England, Tories can only fiddle the numbers for so long, the ONS will catch them out at some point.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Could be a later peak - possibly also different recording, e,g, inclusion of deaths outwith hospital, which Scotland does AFAIK.

This site (with no political bone to chew) seems to suggest a later peak, andf also slightly smaller total death rate overall pro rata in total.

Thanks that was my guess but I wonder how a later peak has come about in Scotland and Wales given that means it must have continued growing while in lockdown? Seems like an interesting oddity.
    All those infected buggers coming up from London spreading it willy nilly.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Thanks that was my guess but I wonder how a later peak has come about in Scotland and Wales given that means it must have continued growing while in lockdown? Seems like an interesting oddity.
    Death rate is actually pretty flat if you take the weekend effects out by looking at the 7 day average (look at the graph for New Daily Deaths Comparisons). One could just as well argue that the Scots got the death rate increase under control earlier but it's flatlining [edited]. But I don't really know!

Someone below (can't relocate it, sorry) was claiming a double the English death rate pro rata below. But the figures are nothing like that level of difference. There is (now) a small excess over the English figure, but I don't know enough about the procedural and recording differences which could well explain it.
    You don't see too many comparisons but last one I saw had Scotland significantly lower than England per head of population but they will not really want to bandy it about much. Whether with our later peak we are catching up a bit but still about 250 per million versus England's 350 per million. This is a good site, or looks like it to me, I am sure some expert will say it is crap.
    https://www.travellingtabby.com/scotland-coronavirus-tracker/
  • Options

Was this pic taken just after Priti was 'exonerated'?

https://twitter.com/PoliticsForAlI/status/1255159132157628422?s=20

Siri, show me the embodiment of smug pocket battleship.

Very good. Must be a relief to you that smugness and arrogance is not the complete preserve of Nicola Sturgeon lol.
    Keeping up that 100% 'can't resist a humour free dig at the Natz' record I see. Even on a site which has several posters who never manage to say anything funny or interesting, that's damn consistent, well done!
    So sorry, it I just that you are such an easy target, though I did think, to my surprise that your comment was quite amusing btw, which is particularly odd coming from a nationalist. Nationalism is a backward looking poisonous creed of which there is nothing funny at all, and whose adherents are normally a humourless bunch, so I am not surprised you never see any humour in my posts . English nationalism (and it's current obsession Brexit) should be mocked for its ludicrous irrationality and so should the Scottish version. Neither is better than the other, though you will claim, with the rationality that is peculiar to nationalism, that your type of divisive hate driven nationalism is somehow different to the English version. It isn't.
    If English nationalism and British unionism are the same thing, which is the implication of your post, then you are an English nationalist, of the imperialist variety.
    Best just to say he is the Bellend of Bellends
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

'The Pitsmoor' pub in Sheffield busted for flouting corona restrictions. Probably in one of the most infested areas too.

I hope they lose their license.
    Indeed and their licence too.
  • Options
    TGOHF666TGOHF666 Posts: 2,052
This discussion has been closed.