Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Biden still trails in the WH2020 betting in spite of opening d

Comments

• Options
    BigRichBigRich Posts: 3,489
    eadric said:

Looking at the curve, it appears 80,000 deaths are possible in Wave 1.

How much did one extra unlocked-down week cost us? Could it be as much as half of that?

Indeed.

And yet France, Italy and Spain are likely to end up in a roughly similar place. This virus is persistent.
    They will get to the same or simmiler point because (I suspect) we will all reach heard immunity before a vaccine is developed and deployed.

80,000 deaths, at a Case fatality rate of 0.2% would be 40,000,000, or 2/3 of the UK population. Which sounds like the right ball park to me. and IMHO where we would have ended up without a Lock-down.
  • Options
    contrariancontrarian Posts: 5,818
    edited April 2020

The Kawasaki disease that has appeared in some UK children has also appeared in Paris now too, adds to concerns that it could be coronavirus related

https://www.lefigaro.fr/demain/sante/une-maladie-peut-etre-liee-au-coronavirus-touche-des-enfants-au-royaume-uni-et-en-france-20200428

Hmm, that's worrying. They are reporting around 20 cases in the Paris area, and they are worried that there might be a delayed effect in children. Tiny numbers at the moment, of course, but still..
    The reporting of those case has been grossly irresponsible.

In the Mail's disgraceful article, buried in the text was the little detail that some of these cases had tested negative for Coronavirus. Yes you read that right. Negative.

What's disgraceful about that? It's exactly what Matt Hancock said. The experts are unsure what is going on here. And of course, just because some children tested negative at the time of the test doesn't prove that there is no connection between past exposure to Covid-19 and the possible emergence of a new set of serious symptoms in children.
    Fair enough but that evidence sure as heck doesn't prove there is a connection. the Mail's headline said 'coronavirus related'. Given the negative test results how on earth could they or anybody else know that? The fact some cases tested positive could be completely coincidental.

The Mail just went for the headline that would frighten and dismay its readers the most, regardless of the truth. As it has done relentlessly and wholly without context since the start of the outbreak.

Measures like deaths per million citizens (versus other countries) and counting deaths by the day they happened as opposed to the day they were reported have been ignored or obscured by them and others in the media, and in the government too, because they don;t necessarily fit the narrative.
  • Options
    Nigel_ForemainNigel_Foremain Posts: 13,791
    Scott_xP said:
    If the "herd immunity" strategy is shown to be as calamitous as it now looks, someone needs to be called to account. Rumours suggest that it was Cummings that drove this. If so, Cameron's description of him being a career psychopath may have a deeper and more sinister meaning. He will possibly be personally responsible for the deaths of thousands of people. I wonder whether he will care? Will Johnson care that he appointed him?
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,893

Carnyx said:

Is it just me or are the deaths today proportionately much worse in Scotland and Wales than England?

This isn't a nationalist point so please nobody jump on that but I'm curious why? Has there been a later peak there than in England?

Could be a later peak - possibly also different recording, e,g, inclusion of deaths outwith hospital, which Scotland does AFAIK.

This site (with no political bone to chew) seems to suggest a later peak, andf also slightly smaller total death rate overall pro rata in total.

https://www.travellingtabby.com/scotland-coronavirus-tracker

Thanks that was my guess but I wonder how a later peak has come about in Scotland and Wales given that means it must have continued growing while in lockdown? Seems like an interesting oddity.
    Perhaps the explanation is that informal (self-imposed) lockdown began earlier in the UK, especially in London.
    Bit of a typo tthere surely?
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,773

eadric said:

Stocky said:

Pulpstar said:

I see hopes of economic bounceback are fading. Didn't take a rocket scientist to work out the V shaped OBR projection was head in the clouds mince.

12,0000 BA jobs gone, council bankruptcies and slashed wages (P&O) are the harbingers of the economic meltdown ahead. I read today the government may be obliged to cut the minimum wage to get employers to hire people again. Otherwise its no dice.

And who can blame them? what businessman would take a risk faced with a government gutless cowards terrified of the next Piers Morgan tweet or Guardian headline?

And if we decide to inflate away the debt via printing money, well, untold millions will see their living standards plummet.

Well said - I can`t quite believe how high the stock market is. The economic catastrophe still is not fully understood by many. I think at some point the government will need to make it clear that they can`t keep covering earnings for much longer.
    Disagreed. The stock market takes the future into account not just the present.

The economic catastrophe is temporary not permanent. The government won't need to keep covering earnings forever and at that point companies will be earning and stocks will be worth their value.
    The catastrophic conditions are temporary. But the economic damage will be pretty much permanent. This crash will leave nasty scars for a generation
    And the stock market is down 20% which represents that.

Scars can be lived with.
    How far did the Dow Jones fall from the 1929 peak before bottoming out?
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,403
    edited April 2020
    Okay team here's a question albeit from the old days which has been bugging me.

You are in a taxi. A saloon taxi (ie not a London cab which doesn't have it). The aircon is on but you think it's too warm still.

Do you say:

a) could you please turn the aircon up; or
    b) could you please turn the aircon down.

TIA
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    TOPPING said:

Unlike you, Richard. Correlation, causation, Daily Mail speculation, etc. Plus the numbers are minute. I bet if they did a test on people who (would) have gone to hospital with bee stings (older, isolated, likely to be outside) there would be some connection with Covid-19.

It's not Daily Mail speculation, it's a warning notice from the Paediatric Intensive Care Society, confirmed by Matt Hancock, and echoed by similar warnings from doctors in Paris. As I said, the experts are unsure what is going on here, if anything. It might be coincidence, but it looks rather as though it's not.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,252
    Was this pic taken just after Priti was 'exonerated'?

https://twitter.com/PoliticsForAlI/status/1255159132157628422?s=20

Siri, show me the embodiment of smug pocket battleship.
  • Options
    FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 3,909

Raining quite a bit here.

I've been lurking here for quite a while but I just can't let that ride. I realise it is a highly controversial subject, but...

...Lancashire is where it rains. Some parts of Yorkshire are practically desert.

• Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,368
    eadric said:

An interesting analysis of the coronavirus ‘performance’ of 185 countries, ranked in order of effectiveness

It’s encouraging that in this list of 185 countries we are doing better than the mighty USA. Though it should be noted they are in 185th place, and we are 184th

https://limchiahau.github.io/2020/04/29/covid-update.html

Comparing apples with lemons does not help..... lies lies and damned statistics.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Is it just me or are the deaths today proportionately much worse in Scotland and Wales than England?

This isn't a nationalist point so please nobody jump on that but I'm curious why? Has there been a later peak there than in England?

Could be a later peak - possibly also different recording, e,g, inclusion of deaths outwith hospital, which Scotland does AFAIK.

This site (with no political bone to chew) seems to suggest a later peak, andf also slightly smaller total death rate overall pro rata in total.

Thanks that was my guess but I wonder how a later peak has come about in Scotland and Wales given that means it must have continued growing while in lockdown? Seems like an interesting oddity.
    Perhaps the explanation is that informal (self-imposed) lockdown began earlier in the UK, especially in London.
    Lol! He's getting a bit ahead of the game there.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,416
    eadric said:

An interesting analysis of the coronavirus ‘performance’ of 185 countries, ranked in order of effectiveness

It’s encouraging that in this list of 185 countries we are doing better than the mighty USA. Though it should be noted they are in 185th place, and we are 184th

The analysis for the UK is flawed because we aren't providing data on recovered cases.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Yep, apologies.
  • Options
    eadric said:

Perhaps there is a direct correlation with how ludicrous the head of government is in each of the countries. Ours is only slightly less ludicrous than the USA's
  • Options
    ParistondaParistonda Posts: 1,819
    TOPPING said:

The Kawasaki disease that has appeared in some UK children has also appeared in Paris now too, adds to concerns that it could be coronavirus related

https://www.lefigaro.fr/demain/sante/une-maladie-peut-etre-liee-au-coronavirus-touche-des-enfants-au-royaume-uni-et-en-france-20200428

Hmm, that's worrying. They are reporting around 20 cases in the Paris area, and they are worried that there might be a delayed effect in children. Tiny numbers at the moment, of course, but still..

In the Mail's disgraceful article, buried in the text was the little detail that some of these cases had tested negative for Coronavirus. Yes you read that right. Negative.

What's disgraceful about that? It's exactly what Matt Hancock said. The experts are unsure what is going on here. And of course, just because some children tested negative at the time of the test doesn't prove that there is no connection between past exposure to Covid-19 and the possible emergence of a new set of serious symptoms in children.
    Unlike you, Richard. Correlation, causation, Daily Mail speculation, etc. Plus the numbers are minute. I bet if they did a test on people who (would) have gone to hospital with bee stings (older, isolated, likely to be outside) there would be some connection with Covid-19.
    Minute at the moment. The article I shared is from Le Figaro not the Mail so a tad more reliable.

There are increasing reports of similar cases in the US and other countries too now. Given the symptoms don't resemble known covid-19 ones in adults it wouldn't be picked up that quickly so we will have to see how it progresses soon now that countries will be aware what to look out for. Matt Hancock has already commented on the possible link so I wouldn't dismiss it with the same level of concern as a bee sting personally.
  • Options

I've been lurking here for quite a while but I just can't let that ride. I realise it is a highly controversial subject, but...

...Lancashire is where it rains. Some parts of Yorkshire are practically desert.

Welcome aboard Flatlander!

We used to live in the Yorkshire desert, just south of Selby - less rain there than we have here in sunny Dorset. :smiley:
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,138
    edited April 2020

BigRich said:

To me that looks like the 'big ' drop is in London, with a slight smaller drop in the midlands, and the rest almost flat-Lining.

Nothing like a bit of confirmation bias, but to me that suggests that perhaps London, the worst affected place, is starting to see the affect of 'herd immunity'
    Or just that it was hit first (and hardest) and therefore will be first to see the reductions come through

Still unlikely to be anywhere near enough people to have had it for herd immunity...
    No, nowhere near herd immunity. But if R in the country overall is around 1, then the effect of even 10 or 20% having acquired immunity will be appreciable over several generations of transmission.

The death rate per head of population in London is about 60% higher than the average for England. I think it's possible that as many as 25% in London may have been infected by the end of this wave (if it comes to an end).
  • Options

Very good. Must be a relief to you that smugness and arrogance is not the complete preserve of Nicola Sturgeon lol.
  • Options
    NerysHughesNerysHughes Posts: 3,351

eadric said:

Perhaps there is a direct correlation with how ludicrous the head of government is in each of the countries. Ours is only slightly less ludicrous than the USA's
    Or perhaps it is beacuse we do not record our recovery figures
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,893
    edited April 2020

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Yep, apologies.
    Itd confused me for a moment, thanks. But to your point: I don't think informal lockdown was any later here in Scotland and I've seen fewer reports of crowd behaviour than say London (not surprising given the media concentration there, population, etc. [edited]).
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    TOPPING said:

You are in a taxi. A saloon taxi (ie not a London cab which doesn't have it). The aircon is on but you think it's too warm still.

Do you say:

TIA

I am always bothered by fridges that have a setting knob marked Hi to Lo (or 1 to 5 with no indication that that relates to deg C).

How hard in this day and age would it be to have an actual temperature setting?
  • Options
    eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,908

eadric said:

The analysis for the UK is flawed because we aren't providing data on recovered cases.
    Yes I wanted to past that as well.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,403

TOPPING said:

Minute at the moment. The article I shared is from Le Figaro not the Mail so a tad more reliable.

There are increasing reports of similar cases in the US and other countries too now. Given the symptoms don't resemble known covid-19 ones in adults it wouldn't be picked up that quickly so we will have to see how it progresses soon now that countries will be aware what to look out for. Matt Hancock has already commented on the possible link so I wouldn't dismiss it with the same level of concern as a bee sting personally.
    Fair enough. We shall wait to see.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,320
    Selebian said:

kinabalu said:

Foxy said:

kamski said:

Foxy said:

kamski said:

kinabalu said:

malcolmg said:

kinabalu said:

eadric said:

Andy_JS said:
    Yes, on reflection he’s right. It looks like they’ve beaten it without entirely shagging their economy (tho they will still take a hit because of their export dependency)

Even more interesting, maybe, is their ICU performance. They haven’t reached capacity, despite having even fewer beds per capita, at the start, than the UK

In theory their laxer approach should have seen hospitals rammed as bad as Lombardy or Madrid. If not worse.
    Does not seem to compute. If Sweden has lower ICU capacity but higher Covid-19 incidence than us, why has their health system not struggled to cope?
    Obviously they treat outside ICU, not all intensive cases get ventilators only a very small amount.
    News I've just seen is that here in the UK one third of all the people hospitalized with Covid-19 since the start of the outbreak have died. One third! And the figure will end up higher since there are many patients in hospital now who have not yet died but will.

On this measure - your chances of responding to treatment - the disease is as bad as Ebola.

Frightening.
    Seems a bit unlikely that a third of Covid admissions to hospital have died, unless only extremely ill Covid patients are being admitted.

Do you have a source for this figure?
    That matches what we have seen in Leicester. As of yesterday 203 have died, 378 discharged home, that ratio hasn't changed for weeks.
    Interesting, in my wife's (German) hospital I'm not sure how many Covid patients they have admitted, certainly at least dozens, only one death so far
    I personally suspect the high UK mortality is due to the stay at home policy, so people are in a poor state when they get admitted.

My guess is that systems that admit, investigate and monitor patients get better overall results, and also reduce their transmission rate. It is a guess though.
    This whole thing does get a person thinking about questions that would not normally occur to them. For example, the fact that one third of UK covid hospitalizations die - it has made me wonder what in normal times the % of ALL admissions to hospital (for all causes) by AMBULANCE end up sadly not making it?

I have no clue. Is it materially different to 33% and if so in which direction?

FWIW, my totally instinctive and non-informed hunch would be 15%.
    Crude rate 5.5% national (England)
    https://qualitysafety.bmj.com/content/qhc/26/8/613.full.pdf
    (within 30 days, so some of those would be discharged alive)
    Thank you! Never dreamed there'd be a quick answer. This puts the 'one third for covid' in an even more baleful light.

Possibly worse still if we refined it, since for comparison purposes I assumed all covid admissions come by ambulance when presumably some do not.

Patient Boris Johnson, for example, did not require an ambulance.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    BigRich said:

Alistair said:

Just trying to get thoughts straight. Between the 8th and 16th of April there was anywhere between 35-45 new ICU admissions in Sweden with Covid.

Betwen the 8th and 16th of April there were 85-113 deaths per day of Covid.

So 2-3 times as many people were dying of Covid as being admitted to ICU on any particular day.

Is there stats for UK/England for ICU admissions?

The daily Deaths for COVID is Sweden includes the most bored definition of any I am aware of:

If you test positive for COVID and die of any reason in the next 30 days you are counted as one of those numbers, so it could be you die a week later or cancer, 2 weeks later of kidney faliear or 4 weeks later in a car accident, (I don't think any of the last one have happened, but hopefully you get the point.

In addition all the people that die without a test e.g. in care homes, are being added to the list if the doctors put it down as a suspected or possible reason or contributing factor, a week ago 42% of deaths where in care homes.

A week or so ago the New York times looked at exes Deaths above the normal, and found that Sweden was the only place reporting more COVID deaths, than the difference between normal number of deaths and deaths this year.
    I've also looked and that is not the case, there is still a solid extra 10% on top of the Covid deaths extra to Sweden's deaths over the 5 year average.
  • Options
    eadric said:

The explanation of how the score is calculated is particularly telling.
  • Options
    johnoundlejohnoundle Posts: 120
    eadric said:

Completely misleading as of course you know, the only accurate method is per capita, assuming Belgium is recording both hospital & all other corona related deaths at 647 deaths 1m is ranked worse.
  • Options
    BigRich said:

eadric said:

How much did one extra unlocked-down week cost us? Could it be as much as half of that?

Indeed.

And yet France, Italy and Spain are likely to end up in a roughly similar place. This virus is persistent.
    They will get to the same or simmiler point because (I suspect) we will all reach heard immunity before a vaccine is developed and deployed.

80,000 deaths, at a Case fatality rate of 0.2% would be 40,000,000, or 2/3 of the UK population. Which sounds like the right ball park to me. and IMHO where we would have ended up without a Lock-down.
    Unfortunately the death rate in New York City is now ruling out these very low suggested fatality rates. It looks more like 0.5-1%.
  • Options
    Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,818
    BigRich said:

eadric said:

Indeed.

No, I think that if patients weren't able to get any hospital support, more would end up dying.
    And an IFR of 0.2% looks optimistic to me (it's already above 0.1% of the entire population of New York State dead)
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,917

OllyT said:

Pulpstar said:

I see hopes of economic bounceback are fading. Didn't take a rocket scientist to work out the V shaped OBR projection was head in the clouds mince.

12,0000 BA jobs gone, council bankruptcies and slashed wages (P&O) are the harbingers of the economic meltdown ahead. I read today the government may be obliged to cut the minimum wage to get employers to hire people again. Otherwise its no dice.

And who can blame them? what businessman would take a risk faced with a government gutless cowards terrified of the next Piers Morgan tweet or Guardian headline?

And if we decide to inflate away the debt via printing money, well, untold millions will see their living standards plummet.

I hate to break it to you but there is no easy solution to this. It is pretty much guaranteed that most of our living standards are going to decline, quite severely in many cases. It would have been no different if we had ignored lockdown completely - 12,000 BA jobs have not gone because of lockdown, they have gone because, globally, nobody is flying anymore.
    The number flying this week is 1% of the number this same week last year.
    I know but Contrarian seems to think that if we had not bothered to lock-down then BA would have been fine.
  • Options

Very good. Must be a relief to you that smugness and arrogance is not the complete preserve of Nicola Sturgeon lol.
    Keeping up that 100% 'can't resist a humour free dig at the Natz' record I see. Even on a site which has several posters who never manage to say anything funny or interesting, that's damn consistent, well done!
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Yep, apologies.
    Itd confused me for a moment, thanks. But to your point: I don't think informal lockdown was any later here in Scotland and I've seen fewer reports of crowd behaviour than say London (not surprising).
    I don't know about Scotland specifically, but from my own experience and observations in the SE of England I'm pretty sure that London started informally closing down about a week or even more before areas outside London. People were cancelling unnecessary meetings in London, cancelling restaurant reservations etc as early as the first week in March. Not everyone, of course, but a noticeable effect.
  • Options
    Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,818
    Well, that model I put together on the weekend to try to see what Rt rates were plausible still holds with a current Rt of 0.75. The only adjustments I had to make were to increase the initial infection rate (shifting the entire curve up) for the extra historical deaths announced - the shape of the curve still fits.

For a current Rt of 0.75, it looks like this:

However, I can make it look pretty close with an Rt anywhere between 0.72 and 0.81
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,997
    edited April 2020
    kinabalu said:

Foxy said:

kamski said:

Foxy said:

kamski said:

kinabalu said:

malcolmg said:

kinabalu said:

eadric said:

Andy_JS said:
    Yes, on reflection he’s right. It looks like they’ve beaten it without entirely shagging their economy (tho they will still take a hit because of their export dependency)

Even more interesting, maybe, is their ICU performance. They haven’t reached capacity, despite having even fewer beds per capita, at the start, than the UK

In theory their laxer approach should have seen hospitals rammed as bad as Lombardy or Madrid. If not worse.
    Does not seem to compute. If Sweden has lower ICU capacity but higher Covid-19 incidence than us, why has their health system not struggled to cope?
    Obviously they treat outside ICU, not all intensive cases get ventilators only a very small amount.
    News I've just seen is that here in the UK one third of all the people hospitalized with Covid-19 since the start of the outbreak have died. One third! And the figure will end up higher since there are many patients in hospital now who have not yet died but will.

On this measure - your chances of responding to treatment - the disease is as bad as Ebola.

Frightening.
    Seems a bit unlikely that a third of Covid admissions to hospital have died, unless only extremely ill Covid patients are being admitted.

That matches what we have seen in Leicester. As of yesterday 203 have died, 378 discharged home, that ratio hasn't changed for weeks.
    Interesting, in my wife's (German) hospital I'm not sure how many Covid patients they have admitted, certainly at least dozens, only one death so far
    I personally suspect the high UK mortality is due to the stay at home policy, so people are in a poor state when they get admitted.

My guess is that systems that admit, investigate and monitor patients get better overall results, and also reduce their transmission rate. It is a guess though.
    This whole thing does get a person thinking about questions that would not normally occur to them. For example, the fact that one third of UK covid hospitalizations die - it has made me wonder what in normal times the % of ALL admissions to hospital (for all causes) by AMBULANCE end up sadly not making it?

Last year "There were approximately 9.4 million discharges, from which 290,000 deaths were recorded either while in hospital or within 30 days of discharge. This includes deaths from other causes as well as deaths related to the reason for the hospital admission."
    https://digital.nhs.uk/data-and-information/publications/clinical-indicators/shmi/current
    That seems very low to me.
  • Options
    OllyT said:

OllyT said:

Pulpstar said:

I hate to break it to you but there is no easy solution to this. It is pretty much guaranteed that most of our living standards are going to decline, quite severely in many cases. It would have been no different if we had ignored lockdown completely - 12,000 BA jobs have not gone because of lockdown, they have gone because, globally, nobody is flying anymore.
    I know but Contrarian seems to think that if we had not bothered to lock-down then BA would have been fine.
    He's a contrary'n that Contrarian. :wink:
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,987

Skyr storming ahead of his Party though.....
    Piers Morgan way below TV/Radio journos in general. No surprise, he has been really awful in my opinion, although still has a net positive rating
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,409

eadric said:

Or perhaps it is beacuse we do not record our recovery figures
    We and the Netherlands are the only major countries that do not.
  • Options
    Chris said:

BigRich said:

To me that looks like the 'big ' drop is in London, with a slight smaller drop in the midlands, and the rest almost flat-Lining.

Nothing like a bit of confirmation bias, but to me that suggests that perhaps London, the worst affected place, is starting to see the affect of 'herd immunity'
    Or just that it was hit first (and hardest) and therefore will be first to see the reductions come through

Still unlikely to be anywhere near enough people to have had it for herd immunity...
    No, nowhere near herd immunity. But if R in the country overall is around 1, then the effect of even 10 or 20% having acquired immunity will be appreciable over several generations of transmission.

The death rate per head of population in London is about 60% higher than the average for England. I think it's possible that as many as 25% in London may have been infected by the end of this wave (if it comes to an end).
    I disagree on heard immunity,

It the changes in behave have brought R to about 1.0 then a 20% infection rate in London and 5% outside would bring about re-transmission levels of 0.8 and 0.95. which looks Constantine with those graphs.

If the Case fatality rate is about 0.2% and for quick maths lets say Londons population is 10,000 million then 20% is 2 million and 0.2% is 4,000 deaths. which all look credible to me.
  • Options

eadric said:

Hmm - the fact that they have scored the UK on the basis that only 807 people have recovered out of 158,848 confirmed cases means that we can be entirely confident that the score is a load of grade-A1 cobblers.
  • Options

She looks like she's off to bully some people.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,986
    'The Pitsmoor' pub in Sheffield busted for flouting corona restrictions. Probably in one of the most infested areas too.
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,176

TOPPING said:

Do you say:

TIA

I am always bothered by fridges that have a setting knob marked Hi to Lo (or 1 to 5 with no indication that that relates to deg C).

How hard in this day and age would it be to have an actual temperature setting?
    My fridge's "Temp Control" goes from "min" to "max", and by dint of trial and error I find that "max" means min.

• Options
    Alistair said:

BigRich said:

Alistair said:

Just trying to get thoughts straight. Between the 8th and 16th of April there was anywhere between 35-45 new ICU admissions in Sweden with Covid.

Betwen the 8th and 16th of April there were 85-113 deaths per day of Covid.

So 2-3 times as many people were dying of Covid as being admitted to ICU on any particular day.

Is there stats for UK/England for ICU admissions?

The daily Deaths for COVID is Sweden includes the most bored definition of any I am aware of:

If you test positive for COVID and die of any reason in the next 30 days you are counted as one of those numbers, so it could be you die a week later or cancer, 2 weeks later of kidney faliear or 4 weeks later in a car accident, (I don't think any of the last one have happened, but hopefully you get the point.

In addition all the people that die without a test e.g. in care homes, are being added to the list if the doctors put it down as a suspected or possible reason or contributing factor, a week ago 42% of deaths where in care homes.

A week or so ago the New York times looked at exes Deaths above the normal, and found that Sweden was the only place reporting more COVID deaths, than the difference between normal number of deaths and deaths this year.
    I've also looked and that is not the case, there is still a solid extra 10% on top of the Covid deaths extra to Sweden's deaths over the 5 year average.
    OK I did not fact check the artificial, but are there COVID reported deaths close to the difference than in other nations? 10% difference sounds lower than most places.
  • Options
    TGOHF666TGOHF666 Posts: 2,052
    The lesser Dom up at 5 for the briefing.
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,736
    kinabalu said:

Yeah, someone`s going to get a right leathering.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,987
    edited April 2020
    Andy_JS said:
    Strange manner of speaking Patel has in that she doesn’t pronounce the G’s at the end of words, even when speaking slowly, precisely in a professional environment. It doesn’t sit right with the rest of her speech to me

Plenty of people, myself included, do that when speaking quickly, or casually, down the pub, but I think I’d pronounce them at a job interview
  • Options

eadric said:

Comparing apples with lemons does not help..... lies lies and damned statistics.
    This one does sound bollox but is "apples vs some different fruit" going to be the stock Johnson apologist response to any and every negative comparison with other countries on Covid?

I do hope not.
  • Options
    contrariancontrarian Posts: 5,818

OllyT said:

OllyT said:

Pulpstar said:

He's a contrary'n that Contrarian. :wink:
    I suspect those casually laughing off mass redundancies are people whose jobs are not threatened.

• Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,989
    kinabalu said:

eadric said:

This one does sound bollox but is "apples vs some different fruit" going to be the stock Johnson apologist response to any and every negative comparison with other countries on Covid?

I do hope not.
    When it's a valid criticism, why not?
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,884

eadric said:

Small victories 'n' all that
    TBF we are only ranked that bad because we dont count recovered
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,789
    Barnesian said:

kinabalu said:

Foxy said:

kamski said:

Foxy said:

kamski said:

kinabalu said:

malcolmg said:

kinabalu said:

eadric said:

Andy_JS said:

Frightening.

Last year "There were approximately 9.4 million discharges, from which 290,000 deaths were recorded either while in hospital or within 30 days of discharge. This includes deaths from other causes as well as deaths related to the reason for the hospital admission."
    https://digital.nhs.uk/data-and-information/publications/clinical-indicators/shmi/current
    That seems very low to me.
    I think that discharge figure includes all surgical admissions, including daycase planned surgery.

It is emergency medical admissions that would be the comparator.

Re Kawasaki disease:

It seems to be occuring elsewhere too.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/29/health/rare-inflammatory-syndrome-us-covid-19/index.html

There is quite a plausible biological rationale.

We know that Coronovirus gets in via ACE2 receptors, and that these are found in blood vessels and heart. This may account for some of the renal and cardiac problems in adults.

The Angiotensin system works differently in children, perhaps accounting for the lack of respiratory cases in children.

• Options
    Pulpstar said:

'The Pitsmoor' pub in Sheffield busted for flouting corona restrictions. Probably in one of the most infested areas too.

TSEs local
  • Options
    TimTTimT Posts: 6,328
    edited April 2020
    kinabalu said:

Selebian said:

kinabalu said:

Foxy said:

kamski said:

Foxy said:

kamski said:

kinabalu said:

malcolmg said:

kinabalu said:

eadric said:

Andy_JS said:

Frightening.

Crude rate 5.5% national (England)
    https://qualitysafety.bmj.com/content/qhc/26/8/613.full.pdf
    (within 30 days, so some of those would be discharged alive)
    Thank you! Never dreamed there'd be a quick answer. This puts the 'one third for covid' in an even more baleful light.

Possibly worse still if we refined it, since for comparison purposes I assumed all covid admissions come by ambulance when presumably some do not.

Patient Boris Johnson, for example, did not require an ambulance.
    In the US, apocryphal evidence supports the idea that stay at home is contributing to mortality rate - there is a slowburn hypoxia*, so people don't realize they are going downhill until very late in the game. What this also means, is that these people are not eating and drinking enough to help their bodies fight off the virus.

This has led to a change in treatment regime, with efforts to get those in the early stages of infection to maintain adequate eating and drinking, and to start oxygen supplementation (not using ventilators) earlier.

*PS hypoxia to the extent that when people finally do arrive at the hospital for treatment, their oxygen levels are so low they would normally be considered not consistent with life, even while these patients are still working their cell phones, until they crash. Apparently similar to the slowly boiling frog thing ...
  • Options
    26097??
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,789

eadric said:

Hmm - the fact that they have scored the UK on the basis that only 807 people have recovered out of 158,848 confirmed cases means that we can be entirely confident that the score is a load of grade-A1 cobblers.
    Either that or Leicester has half the UK recovered cases!
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,563
    Foxy said:

eadric said:

Either that or Leicester has half the UK recovered cases!
    Shades of the University of Washington model where Leicester seemed to have all the ventilators in the country as well...
  • Options
    BigRich said:

Chris said:

BigRich said:

I disagree on heard immunity,

It the changes in behave have brought R to about 1.0 then a 20% infection rate in London and 5% outside would bring about re-transmission levels of 0.8 and 0.95. which looks Constantine with those graphs.

If the Case fatality rate is about 0.2% and for quick maths lets say Londons population is 10,000 million then 20% is 2 million and 0.2% is 4,000 deaths. which all look credible to me.
    That 20% figure for London may not be too far off.

But I think it would correspond to a larger number of deaths than 4,000. That's feasble, because the figure for deaths in hospitals is already nearly 5,000, and I suppose deaths elsewhere will probably be another 2,500-5,000. And then there will be a comparable number of deaths still to come in people already infected. One could guess at perhaps 13,000 in total, and by my reckoning with a fatality rate of 0.7% that would correspond to 20% of the population of London (9m).

Given that there are still more infections to come in this wave, it seems believable that around a quarter of the population of London will have been infected. Not enough for herd immunity in normal life, but enough to make an important difference when it comes to relaxing restrictions.
  • Options
    FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 3,909

Welcome aboard Flatlander!

We used to live in the Yorkshire desert, just south of Selby - less rain there than we have here in sunny Dorset. :smiley:
    Thanks.

If I can get away with denigrating Lancashire as a first post I guess I'll be OK on less divisive topics.

I used to have cacti growing outdoors in the garden but to be fair they did eventually succumb to a damp winter after about 10 years.

You could probably get away with it in Essex.

Anyway, time for Coronavirusnews.
  • Options
    Chris said:

BigRich said:

eadric said:

Indeed.

Unfortunately the death rate in New York City is now ruling out these very low suggested fatality rates. It looks more like 0.5-1%.
    New York City has had it bad, and yes death rate is over 0.1%

But:

1, look at the hospitalisation rate in New York city Drop, its drooping quicker there than anywhere else I've seen, new York has a lock down, but so do lots of places and no were else has it had the same effect, suggesting that something else is also having an effect, if its not a high post-infected-imunity rate then what is it? The death rate is also droping rapidly but I use the hospitalsiation rate so to not complcate the second point

2, There were so many cases in NYC in such a short time that heath care system relay struggled, I'm not going to use expropriations like 'overrun' but the heavy loading may have let to some deaths that might have been avoided.

I'm not to weeded to the 0.2% guesstimate it may be double that, but also the number needed to get to heard immunity may also be lower as some things like shaking hand are likely gone for a generation.

I'm taking ball park not exact numbers but I think my point stands.
  • Options

26097??

They've added in all the other deaths in care homes.

Jean Clead Van Tam on the oche today - class.
  • Options
    52,400 tests yesterday.
  • Options
    Stocky said:

kinabalu said:

Frisson of anticipation (!) at the 1922.
  • Options
    TGOHF666 said:

52,400 tests yesterday.

Now that's progress.
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,736
    kinabalu said:

Stocky said:

kinabalu said:

Frisson of anticipation (!) at the 1922.
    Perhaps I should have said a right-wing leathering! Oh yes.
  • Options
    Why only 3811 Care Home deaths added?

Is 765 including hospital only or some care home deaths?
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,311
    Will anyone ask about the change to test number 5?
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,696
    Can we have a competition for how many Groupuscules are going to emerge from Momentum?

Guido makes it three so far...
  • Options
    RobD said:

TGOHF666 said:

52,400 tests yesterday.

Now that's progress.
    Even Scotland was up.

Nearly 3% - from 8.4% of the population.

Scotland deserves better from the SNP.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,291
    TGOHF666 said:

52,400 tests yesterday.

Now if only Hancock had promised 50k....
  • Options

Keeping up that 100% 'can't resist a humour free dig at the Natz' record I see. Even on a site which has several posters who never manage to say anything funny or interesting, that's damn consistent, well done!
    So sorry, it I just that you are such an easy target, though I did think, to my surprise that your comment was quite amusing btw, which is particularly odd coming from a nationalist. Nationalism is a backward looking poisonous creed of which there is nothing funny at all, and whose adherents are normally a humourless bunch, so I am not surprised you never see any humour in my posts . English nationalism (and it's current obsession Brexit) should be mocked for its ludicrous irrationality and so should the Scottish version. Neither is better than the other, though you will claim, with the rationality that is peculiar to nationalism, that your type of divisive hate driven nationalism is somehow different to the English version. It isn't.
  • Options

Why only 3811 Care Home deaths added?

Is 765 including hospital only or some care home deaths?

765 will be hospital + care home reported yesterday.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,130

So sorry, it I just that you are such an easy target, though I did think, to my surprise that your comment was quite amusing btw, which is particularly odd coming from a nationalist. Nationalism is a backward looking poisonous creed of which there is nothing funny at all, and whose adherents are normally a humourless bunch, so I am not surprised you never see any humour in my posts . English nationalism (and it's current obsession Brexit) should be mocked for its ludicrous irrationality and so should the Scottish version. Neither is better than the other, though you will claim, with the rationality that is peculiar to nationalism, that your type of divisive hate driven nationalism is somehow different to the English version. It isn't.
    If English nationalism and British unionism are the same thing, which is the implication of your post, then you are an English nationalist, of the imperialist variety.
  • Options
    MattW said:

Can we have a competition for how many Groupuscules are going to emerge from Momentum?

Guido makes it three so far...

What is a Groupuscules?
  • Options

TGOHF666 said:

52,400 tests yesterday.

You will have to wait until Saturday to see if he makes it.

20k gap between tests and capacity - problem is getting tests to punters.
  • Options
    TGOHF666 said:

26097??

Not added all as far as i can see

4343 care home deaths from 10/4/20 to 24/4/20 1043 care home deaths up to 10/4/20

So surely they should have added at least 5486

They have added 3811

Why?

Is there something obvious??
  • Options

TGOHF666 said:

52,400 tests yesterday.

Given how rapidly they are extending eligibility to tests they probably have sufficient capacity to meet the target. Now it's just a question of logistics.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,691
    Pulpstar said:

I hope they lose their license.
  • Options
    Scotland care homes were already in numbers.

Plus in one of wales and NI - not sure which.
  • Options
    ABZABZ Posts: 441

TGOHF666 said:

26097??

4343 care home deaths from 10/4/20 to 24/4/20 1043 care home deaths up to 10/4/20

They have added 3811

Why?

They are reporting if Covid-19 is mentioned on the death certificate. The CQC numbers are not directly comparable therefore.
  • Options
    Rise in car use and as I have suggested I expect this is a fear of public transport and close proximity
  • Options
    Cars are ignoring the lockdown....
  • Options
    TGOHF666 said:

The self-driving ones, clearly.
  • Options

Arglefarglebargle
    Keep it up, maybe at some point you'll say something interesting, maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow, but soon.

Okay, not soon.
  • Options
    RobD said:

kinabalu said:

eadric said:

I do hope not.
    When it's a valid criticism, why not?
    I'm making the (almost certainly valid) assumption that "apples vs pears or sultanas or pomegranates etc" will not be a suitable response to every negative comparison of UK covid outcome vs others - so it will get tedious if it is parroted incessantly. I'm picking up the first scent that this may happen if we are not careful, it will become a trope - like "following the science" - thus we need to kill it off now. So I'm watching for it and will act where necessary.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,691
    TGOHF666 said:

All those folks going to B&Q
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,137

Pulpstar said:

I hope they lose their license.
    Should be renamed The Pisspoor.
  • Options

TGOHF666 said:

52,400 tests yesterday.

How many expected him to even get to 50k?
  • Options
    JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 6,016
    isam said:

Andy_JS said:
    Strange manner of speaking Patel has in that she doesn’t pronounce the G’s at the end of words, even when speaking slowly, precisely in a professional environment. It doesn’t sit right with the rest of her speech to me

Plenty of people, myself included, do that when speaking quickly, or casually, down the pub, but I think I’d pronounce them at a job interview
    It's just a local accent.
  • Options

TGOHF666 said:

52,400 tests yesterday.

How many expected him to even get to 50k?
    Home testing booking system now open - he wont be far away by Monday.

• Options
    edited April 2020
    ABZ said:

TGOHF666 said:

26097??

They have added 3811

Why?

They are reporting if Covid-19 is mentioned on the death certificate. The CQC numbers are not directly comparable therefore.
    The new numbers from CareHomes only include those that died that had been tested apparently not like ONS that has tested and untested deaths
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    Tests per million slide added to bring UK back in line with other European countries - as someone predicted yesterday!

And Belgium added to make sure there is someone much worse than us.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    Ipswich town - what a club

My son is a big fan and active supporter on forums and he does chat with their players.

They heard he was laid off due to CV19 and stressing about life and money - they sent him a copy of Football Manager to "keep him busy and take his mind off things"
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,291
    Dominic Raab says the lockdown will not be eased until ministers know a "second peak" can be avoided.

This is such a hostage to fortune.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,311

Dominic Raab says the lockdown will not be eased until ministers know a "second peak" can be avoided.

This is such a hostage to fortune.

avoided or a peak that will not overwhelm NHS. Very different animals.
  • Options
    ABZABZ Posts: 441

ABZ said:

TGOHF666 said:

26097??

They have added 3811

Why?

The new numbers only include tested apparently not like ONS that has tested and untested deaths
    It's confusing though - because hospital deaths are more inclusive in the UK than France... as stated yesterday, none of this is easily comparable and we need to look at excess mortality in each country after the event. All of this is really difficult to interpret otherwise...
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,792
    New thread, btw.
  • Options
    Surely someone must ask about Test 5.

Raab said in his intro that it is the critical test - but he has changed it and nobody has noticed.
  • Options

Well, that model I put together on the weekend to try to see what Rt rates were plausible still holds with a current Rt of 0.75. The only adjustments I had to make were to increase the initial infection rate (shifting the entire curve up) for the extra historical deaths announced - the shape of the curve still fits.

For a current Rt of 0.75, it looks like this:

However, I can make it look pretty close with an Rt anywhere between 0.72 and 0.81

You wonder how it is as high as 0.75. Then see stories of folk hiding in cupboards in pubs....
This discussion has been closed.