Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » At what stage is lockdown going to crumble?

12345679»

Comments

• Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited April 2020
    isam said:

RIP, but there is no way the person second from left is a ‘fit and healthy’ 33 year old. He is about 3-4 stone overweight

Without wanting to sound mean / heartless, I have seen quite a few cases where people have said such and such was fit and healthy and then they show the photo and you see they are rather large.

People saying Boris is fit cos he does some jogging, plays some tennis and rides a bike. I am sorry, but he is* significantly overweight. And you need to do a lot more than a bit of jogging to be fit, you really have to be evaluating the heart rate and jogging in general is a naff way of doing it (if you like jogging / running fine, but there are much more effective ways of getting fit).

* probably now a was.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,930
    isam said:

RIP, but there is no way the person second from left is a ‘fit and healthy’ 33 year old. He is about 3-4 stone overweight

You don't want to be a fat man in this pandemic.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,711

So I have a question....

Italy had total and utter meltdown in the North. So far London and West Midlands have been very hard hit, but the NHS is coping. The Italian population is on average much older and we know a lot of oldies got it before Italy even knew it was widespread.

Here, we had more warning, have got nowhere near Italy style total system crash, but we are basically running at the same level of deaths. Why?

Its a pretty nasty bug.

We have a younger population, but more obesity and diabetes perhaps.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,330
    edited April 2020

IanB2 said:

Most of the BA fleet is now on the ground at UK airports.

The last I heard was they are only flying 15 routes

Looks like our flight to Vancouver on the 12th May will be cancelled and an automatic refund applied

They are not flying Heathrow to Vancouver at present
    Flight from Sofia about to land at Heathrow, according to FlightRadar24.

Hannover flight not far behind that one.
    I think there are 5 European routes
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,933

So I have a question....

Italy had total and utter meltdown in the North. So far London and West Midlands have been very hard hit, but the NHS is coping. The Italian population is on average much older and we know a lot of oldies got it before Italy even knew it was widespread.

Here, we had more warning, have got nowhere near Italy style total system crash, but we are basically running at the same level of deaths. Why?

I guess we could look at the areas in each country that have suffered most and see what they have in common. Pollution? Demographics?
  • Options
    Foxy said:

So I have a question....

Its a pretty nasty bug.

and much more pre-warning and planning, too ?
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    Pulpstar said:

isam said:

You don't want to be a fat 50+ year old man...that's the trifecta for "healthy" cases that get into trouble.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,933

isam said:

Without wanting to sound mean / heartless, I have seen quite a few cases where people have said such and such was fit and healthy and then they show the photo and you see they are rather large.

People saying Boris is fit cos he does some jogging, plays some tennis and rides a bike. I am sorry, but he is* significantly overweight. And you need to do a lot more than a bit of jogging to be fit, you really have to be evaluating the heart rate and jogging in general is a naff way of doing it (if you like jogging / running fine, but there are much more effective ways of getting fit).

* probably now a was.
    Yes, I was amazed that people described Boris as fit. No one in my circle of friends or family looks as unfit as Boris
  • Options
    Instead it constitutes what civilised people call "compromise".
  • Options
    edited April 2020

Pulpstar said:

isam said:

You don't want to be a fat 50+ year old man...that's the trifecta for "healthy" cases that get into trouble.
    My friend who is a male in his fifties (And is fit, good weight and healthy) was absolutely poleaxed by it. He said his wife (Who is large and very unfit) got off with just a cough and a bit of breathlessness ! It's killed a multiple marathoner in his 50s in the USA.
    If you're a male over 50 you REALLY need to be healthy to get through it and even then it's rough.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,714
    "Dr. Anthony Fauci: Virus death toll may be ‘more like 60,000 than 100,000 to 200,000’"

https://www.today.com/video/dr-anthony-fauci-virus-death-toll-may-be-more-like-60-000-than-100-00-to-200-000-81825861735

This could mean the UK figure will be around 12,000, since our population is 5 times less than the USA.
  • Options

Foxy said:

So I have a question....

Its a pretty nasty bug.

Half the number of ICU beds too.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,173

A rail union boss has sparked outrage after saying he would 'throw a party' if stricken Boris Johnson died of coronavirus. Steve Hedley, the assistant chief of the Rail, Martime and Transport Workers union hit back at friends who criticised him, telling them: 'I hope the whole cabinet of Tory b*st*rds get it too.'

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8205057/RMT-chief-assistant-says-hopes-Tory-party-gets-coronavirus.html

https://twitter.com/mrdavidwhitley/status/1247250697395077121?s=20
  • Options
    eadric said:

You missed out 4/6

https://twitter.com/wbhoekstra/status/1248344172123340800?s=21

There will be no coronabonds. No mutualisation of debt. This is the crucial issue.

The surrender is on the southern side. Madrid and Rome have yielded.

The eurozone might break over this. Thank God Britain is free.
    Ok, hun.
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

So I have a question....

Its a pretty nasty bug.

Half the number of ICU beds too.
    But that was sort of my point. If we had crashed the system and run out ICU beds, ventilators, etc because of lower headroom, I would understand, but so far (and hopefully it was continue) we haven't.

As far as I am aware, no hospital has got the stage like Italy were at one point, where they were triaging ventilators and pretty youngish people weren't getting them*, because they were so overwhelmed.

* CH4 news had a report from one hospital where it was only under 60s who were getting them.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,173
    eadric said:

You missed out 4/6

There will be no coronabonds. No mutualisation of debt. This is the crucial issue.

I forget, did you ever say which way you voted in the EU referendum?
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,298

So I have a question....

I don’t know, but doubtless factors such as this are why the US model is predicting we will finish with the most deaths in Europe, despite our experience so far not seeming so catastrophic. It would be worth digging into the reasons.
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,050
    Andy_JS said:

"Dr. Anthony Fauci: Virus death toll may be ‘more like 60,000 than 100,000 to 200,000’"

https://www.today.com/video/dr-anthony-fauci-virus-death-toll-may-be-more-like-60-000-than-100-00-to-200-000-81825861735

This could mean the UK figure will be around 12,000, since our population is 5 times less than the USA.

I've had contacts from my Italian friends....apparently it's an emerging news story in Italy that the UK is in big trouble...one friend said that they (Italy) were really unlucky with Lombardy to host the first major European hotspot....but what is our excuse??

..they think now the UK is destined to have the most fatalities per capita in Europe by some margin....
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    IanB2 said:

So I have a question....

I don’t know, but doubtless factors such as this are why the US model is predicting we will finish with the most deaths in Europe, despite our experience so far not seeming so catastrophic. It would be worth digging into the reasons.
    Can we not mention the UW model again in context of UK. It is total bollocks, both the input numbers are factually incorrect and already their predictions are miles off. Today's numbers for the UK were 40% of the lowest estimate of their model.

At least for the UK, it is the opposite version of that Imperial model that said only 7,000 deaths and literally the day it was released we passed their supposed peak number of deaths.

We seem to be trending along the line of Italy, lower than France and Spain. Spain system has crashed, so that understandable. France I don't know why so high, and UK why matching Italy.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,610

And extremely unambitious.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,298
    Floater said:

IanB2 said:

Most of the world's airline fleet is on the ground - the accumulations are massive.
    Take a look at US airspace right now....
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,345

isam said:

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2yls91
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,360

A rail union boss has sparked outrage after saying he would 'throw a party' if stricken Boris Johnson died of coronavirus. Steve Hedley, the assistant chief of the Rail, Martime and Transport Workers union hit back at friends who criticised him, telling them: 'I hope the whole cabinet of Tory b*st*rds get it too.'

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8205057/RMT-chief-assistant-says-hopes-Tory-party-gets-coronavirus.html

Another one who.is beneath contempt.
  • Options
    eadric said:

Andy_JS said:

It’s gonna be more than 12,000. Do the maths. We’re following Spain, France and Italy
    It's going to be close to 12,000 Monday or Tuesday......and possibly even now since we are not counting deaths outside hospitals....

Italian News has apparently being running stories on the UK....Italy got caught on the hoof, we had 3 weeks or so to plan...but Italy news is stating the UK fatality rates are going to be much higher...
  • Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    eadric said:

You missed out 4/6

Madrid and Rome haven’t caved in . A compromise was reached . Do you really expect a country to underwrite the debts of another , giving them a blank cheque.

Some EU countries love unity when others are happy to step in with money but then moan about too much interference at other times .
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

And extremely unambitious.
    Let's first see what it tallies up to, and then, later on, when the dust has settled a bit, what else might be required.
    This might not be the end of the story.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

So I have a question....

Can we not mention the UW model again in context of UK. It is total bollocks, both the input numbers are factually incorrect and already their predictions are miles off. Today's numbers for the UK were 40% of the lowest estimate of their model.

At least for the UK, it is the opposite version of that Imperial model that said only 7,000 deaths and literally the day it was released we passed their supposed peak number of deaths.

We seem to be trending along the line of Italy, lower than France and Spain. Spain system has crashed, so that understandable. France I don't know why so high, and UK why matching Italy.
    I think France are counting everyone....that is why they look so bad.....
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    tyson said:

IanB2 said:

So I have a question....

Fair point. But that only started a few of days ago adding in the extra numbers. Even before that, they were on a worse trajectory than Italy.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Floater said:

IanB2 said:

Most of the world's airline fleet is on the ground - the accumulations are massive.
    Take a look at US airspace right now....
    Quite a bit of it is Fedex, UPS actually but then you spot the odd Southwest or American Airlines and you're thinking just who needs to fly from St Louis to Seattle ?!
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,612
    "People saying Boris is fit cos he does some jogging, plays some tennis and rides a bike. I am sorry, but he is* significantly overweight. And you need to do a lot more than a bit of jogging to be fit, you really have to be evaluating the heart rate and jogging in general is a naff way of doing it (if you like jogging / running fine, but there are much more effective ways of getting fit)."

Herbert Hoover had same problem. So his doctor prescribed daily round of medicine ball, for which cabinet members, White House staff and visitors were enlisted/dragooned.

Result was the Great Depression.
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    tyson said:

IanB2 said:

So I have a question....

They shouldn’t be so honest ! At the moment the UK is supposed to be a week behind France but now has nearly the same amount of hospital deaths .

Luckily it can dupe the public by covering up care home deaths !
  • Options
    Big_IanBig_Ian Posts: 17

Pulpstar said:

isam said:

Oh crap....
  • Options
    tyson said:

eadric said:

Andy_JS said:

It’s gonna be more than 12,000. Do the maths. We’re following Spain, France and Italy
    It's going to be close to 12,000 Monday or Tuesday......and possibly even now since we are not counting deaths outside hospitals....

Italian News has apparently being running stories on the UK....Italy got caught on the hoof, we had 3 weeks or so to plan...but Italy news is stating the UK fatality rates are going to be much higher...
    Presumably the Italians too are falsifying figures...
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,708
    tyson said:

eadric said:

Andy_JS said:

Based on that flawed UW model maybe? I can't see what else would cause them to think that.

My guess is we will have similar numbers to Italy in this wave, maybe slightly fewer.
  • Options
    The Police have been round and told us we must all move onto the new thread, because there aren't enough essentials in our shopping baskets.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

tyson said:

eadric said:

Andy_JS said:

Yes and Spain aswell as the UK . The media are too busy asking what Johnson had for breakfast than bother about the small matter of thousands of people dieing in care homes.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,980
    New thread.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,966
    nico67 said:

Foxy said:

tyson said:

eadric said:

Andy_JS said:

Yes and Spain aswell as the UK . The media are too busy asking what Johnson had for breakfast than bother about the small matter of thousands of people dieing in care homes.
    Falsifying figures is a dumb claim. They have been completely open about what the figures mean and how they are collected. They ae also publishing the figures for the wider community once a week. This is exactly the same as in other European countries who have had exactly the same issue of being unable to confirm CV as a cause of death in those who die outside hospital. In just the last few days we have seen Belgium and France doing the same thing as the UK.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,019
    Andy_JS said:

I think Boris wants to end this lockdown as soon as he possibly can, taking the very best scientific advice into account of course. Looking forward to his first statement post-ICU.

you need to get a life andy.
This discussion has been closed.