Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » At what stage is lockdown going to crumble?

Comments

• Options
    TGOHF666TGOHF666 Posts: 2,052

So I reckon that’s Robert Jenrick next out of the cabinet.

Did he go into their house ?
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,413
    By the way, I've just seen the news that the lady who made the horrid tweet about Bojo has lost her (day) job. I thought that was a bad overreaction. Nobody should be losing their job over something so fundamentally trivial at this time.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,186

Why? Has he proven too competent?
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited April 2020

"A source close to the cabinet minister admitted that he had made the journey during lockdown conditions, but defended the trip by saying he dropped off food and medication, and did not enter the house... The Guardian understands that the local community has been supporting Jenrick’s parents by delivering groceries in recent weeks. This was not denied, though the source said Jenrick had collected and delivered medication for his parents, too."

And unless they have proof he has lied, the Guardian really shouldn't even be printing the story, as he really hasn't done anything wrong. Also, worth mentioning it was also only 40 miles. Not like he went on 300 mile round trip to the Lake District for his "exercise".

Its not even as bad as Stephen Kinnock visiting his dad for his birthday. And personally, I didn't even think that was worth mentioning.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,603

HYUFD said:
    If people didn't act like fuckwits they would not have to take such measures.

Follow the rules. It's simple.
    Sitting on a bench during your exercise session is not acting like a fuckwit. Taping up a bandstand is the act of a fuckwit.
    Sitting on a bench is not a form of exercise. If you need a sit down you are 'exercising' beyond what is reasonable.
    Oh have a word with yourself.
    I'm following the rules. I'm not endangering myself or others. What about you?
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,150
    HYUFD said:
    It would be much better for everyone if IDS spent his time making balloon decorations rather than pontificating about the undeserving poor.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,881
    tlg86 said:

Sandpit said:

tlg86 said:

Barney v Taylor in their living rooms:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=He09d9Oi0f8

That's awesome to watch! Great to see some innovative events being put on as we're all stuck at home.
    Great comeback from Barney, shame he missed the double 12 for the nine darter.
    That niner would have been awesome! Just look at the averages they got, insane numbers compared to usual tournament play - even on the electronic boards.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,204
    NYTimes:

"the number of Americans who had lost their jobs over the past three weeks to more than 16 million"
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,775
    What sort of a job is Trump doing?

He tells us all the time that he's doing a great job, and there is some evidence to support that. His opponents really aren't saying he's doing a bad job. They've given up. Hard to understand why.

In this crisis he seems to be able to simply ride out every storm. He's obviously an idiot, I suspect he'd even admit it if you twisted his arm, but somehow he has a genius streak too.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,937

Um Nope. Visiting your aged parents to drop off food and not entering the house is almost exactly what the Government wants everyone to do. It means the parents don't have to go out themselves.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,263

HYUFD said:

Sitting on a bench during your exercise session is not acting like a fuckwit. Taping up a bandstand is the act of a fuckwit.
    Sitting on a bench is not a form of exercise. If you need a sit down you are 'exercising' beyond what is reasonable.
    Or taking a well earned break between outward bound exercise and return journey exercise.

In my own local park they have stuck up a notice saying that visiting the park isn’t an essential journey, but otherwise left it open.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,871
    edited April 2020

By the way, I've just seen the news that the lady who made the horrid tweet about Bojo has lost her (day) job. I thought that was a bad overreaction. Nobody should be losing their job over something so fundamentally trivial at this time.

this country is full of shitholes, I mean her employer by the way
  • Options

Um Nope. Visiting your aged parents to drop off food and not entering the house is almost exactly what the Government wants everyone to do. It means the parents don't have to go out themselves.
    Yeah but he’s a Tory.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

this country is full of shitholes
    No wonder we get through so much bog roll
  • Options

Bringing an employer into disrepute is a serious matter. Her name and tweet were linked with the firm. Most contracts have clauses allowing summary dismissal in those circumstances.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

There's no law that you cannot rest while doing your exercise. For some people it will be advisable to stop and rest. It's hardly spending 8 hours with 12 of your mates and 3 crates of beer inthe park having a BBQ
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    TGOHF666 said:

Yeah but he’s a Tory.
    Strong point.
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,704

By following the rules?
  • Options

"A source close to the cabinet minister admitted that he had made the journey during lockdown conditions, but defended the trip by saying he dropped off food and medication, and did not enter the house...

The Guardian understands that the local community has been supporting Jenrick’s parents by delivering groceries in recent weeks. This was not denied, though the source said Jenrick had collected and delivered medication for his parents, too."

And unless they have proof he has lied, the Guardian really shouldn't even be printing the story, as he really hasn't done anything wrong.

Its not even as bad as Stephen Kinnock visiting his dad for his birthday.
    If that’s all there is too it, then there is no issue. They must either think there is more to it, or have become hyper touchy on the subject.

It’s a problem I can sympathise with. My father lives outside Gloucester, is 73 and is on the vulnerable list due to lung problems. No other family member lives near. The supermarkets won’t deliver to his area. If he couldn’t get other people to deliver for him, I would have to drive down the M5 with supplies every week.

It would be daft, but it would be necessary.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,120
    HYUFD said:
    I suppose for a politician travelling to a photo opportunity would be equivalent to fetching food or medicine for the rest of us.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,576
    GIN1138 said:

Good news that the PM has been moved out of ICU.

Fantastic news.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549
    IanB2 said:

TGOHF666 said:
    Well, I’m feeling pretty smug from my prediction earlier :)

Certainly better than Eadric and Mystic who whilst wishing him well were clearly positioning themselves for yet another I told you so.
    To be fair knowing what we know about the outcomes for people who need ventilation (the potential need for it being the reason he was admitted) it was looking very ominous for Boris a couple of days ago. Younger and fitter people than Boris have been killed by COVID-19.
  • Options
    Chris said:

HYUFD said:
    I suppose for a politician travelling to a photo opportunity would be equivalent to fetching food or medicine for the rest of us.
    He could have done the decent thing and stood behind that handily adjacent tree.
  • Options

But the local community were already dropping off stuff to his parents.
  • Options
    If the media are going to go all Nazi on travel. Why do the media still feel the need to go to places like College Green to do an OB. HoC isn't sitting, no f##ker is there for you to talk to (and you shouldn't be anyway face to face).
  • Options

HYUFD said:

I have not sat down on any of my exercise walks, but if I did, I wouldn't feel the least compunction in doing so, as I would be doing zero harm to myself or anyone else. You appear to have taken leave of your senses.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,269

Hurrah for Boris.

Good to see him on the mend!
  • Options

HYUFD said:

I have not sat down on any of my exercise walks, but if I did, I wouldn't feel the least compunction in doing so, as I would be doing zero harm to myself or anyone else. You appear to have taken leave of your senses.
    As others have indicated, it has to be a zero tolerance policy or it doesn't work. One person sitting becomes 20 people sitting becomes 200 people filling the park.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,541
    It’s not a choice between sav8ng lives and saving the economy...

https://www.technologyreview.com/2020/04/08/998785/stop-covid-or-save-the-economy-we-can-do-both/
    ...Romer points to new, faster diagnostic tests, including ones from Silicon Valley’s Cepheid and from the drug giant Roche. Each of Roche’s best machines can handle 4,200 tests a day; build five thousand of those machines, and you can test 20 million people a day. “It’s well within our capacity,” he says. “We just need to bend some metal and make some machines.” If you can identify and isolate those infected with the virus, you can let the rest of the population go back to business.

Indeed, in an early April survey by Chicago’s Booth School, 93% of the economists agreed that “a massive increase in testing” is required for “an economic restart.”

In a piece called “National Coronavirus Response: A roadmap to reopening,” former FDA director Scott Gottlieb also argued for ramping up testing and then isolating those infected rather shutting in the entire population...

... It’s the type of inertia that clearly frustrates Romer. He calls the $2 trillion legislation passed by Congress “palliative care” for the economy. If you took $100 billion and put it into testing, he says, we would “be far better off.”...
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Omnium said:

Sandpit said:

Omnium said:

malcolmg said:

Omnium said:

Genuinely not sure how I feel about this. MPs getting an additional 10K each for their offices to be transferred to home working. Seems wrong to me when no one else is being helped in this way.

https://mcusercontent.com/5c1bd78521a0f65af80876eca/files/cfb4143a-6a9b-4439-9fdf-94b2626318bc/IPSA_Coronavirus_Guidance_version_19_03_2020.pdf

I'm all for it. We need to accumulate evidence for the hangings.

Some MPs are really quite poor financially. (Many more very poor generally).

If there is a demonstrable need for that funding then that's fine. A very slight increase in the rope budget might also be wise.
    There will be very very few, those outside the safe seats for life , that do not retire millionaires.
    Evening Malcolm.

Quite true, but then being a millionaire as a pensioner these days is meaningless. My brother, who works for the state in an average sort of a job, has a pension that is worth a million or so.

The 'millionaire' tag really has to move on to be around the 10 million mark.

Actually the SNP MPs have slightly higher costs in their long commute. Cheaper home costs though too. (The croft being cheaper than a house obviously!)
    No. It's almost impossible for 95% of private sector workers to retire with such massive millionaire pensions. It's become a huge disconnect between public and private sector since Brown's reforms in 1998.
    What do you think a millionaire pension looks like?

It's about 30k per year. Senior nurses, tube drivers, headmasters. They all get that.
    Exactly, all public sector workers. Most private sector workers are retiring on a fraction of that pension.
    What sort of a fraction?
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,189

If the media are going to go all Nazi on travel. Why do the media still feel the need to go to places like College Green to do an OB. HoC isn't sitting, no f##ker is there for you to talk to (and you shouldn't be anyway face to face).

Sky went to Weston Super Mud today. Utterly pointless.
  • Options
    Pagan2Pagan2 Posts: 8,844

HYUFD said:

So someone infected but asymptomatic sits on the bench, over the day 20 more sit on the bench and pick up the virus. Totally no harm there. Of course your right to sit is more important than the fact you may be unwittingly passing on so carry on and don't worry how many you might be killing
  • Options
    Omnium said:

Sandpit said:

Omnium said:

Sandpit said:

Omnium said:

malcolmg said:

Omnium said:

Genuinely not sure how I feel about this. MPs getting an additional 10K each for their offices to be transferred to home working. Seems wrong to me when no one else is being helped in this way.

https://mcusercontent.com/5c1bd78521a0f65af80876eca/files/cfb4143a-6a9b-4439-9fdf-94b2626318bc/IPSA_Coronavirus_Guidance_version_19_03_2020.pdf

If there is a demonstrable need for that funding then that's fine. A very slight increase in the rope budget might also be wise.
    There will be very very few, those outside the safe seats for life , that do not retire millionaires.
    Evening Malcolm.

Quite true, but then being a millionaire as a pensioner these days is meaningless. My brother, who works for the state in an average sort of a job, has a pension that is worth a million or so.

Actually the SNP MPs have slightly higher costs in their long commute. Cheaper home costs though too. (The croft being cheaper than a house obviously!)
    No. It's almost impossible for 95% of private sector workers to retire with such massive millionaire pensions. It's become a huge disconnect between public and private sector since Brown's reforms in 1998.

It's about 30k per year. Senior nurses, tube drivers, headmasters. They all get that.
    Exactly, all public sector workers. Most private sector workers are retiring on a fraction of that pension.
    What sort of a fraction?
    Third.
  • Options
    Omnium said:

Sandpit said:

Omnium said:

Sandpit said:

Omnium said:

malcolmg said:

Omnium said:

Evening Malcolm.

What sort of a fraction?
    About 30% according to
    https://www.moneywise.co.uk/news/2018-08-28‌‌/public-sector-pensions-triple-size-private-sector-counterparts
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,576
    edited April 2020
    I think Boris wants to end this lockdown as soon as he possibly can, taking the very best scientific advice into account of course. Looking forward to his first statement post-ICU.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,850
    Nigelb said:

https://www.technologyreview.com/2020/04/08/998785/stop-covid-or-save-the-economy-we-can-do-both/

Once again, human ingenuity comes to the rescue. Mass testing is probably a big step forward but how would we do it - I live in a cul-de-sac of 32 houses so let's say 100-150 people live in my street? Testing everyone is feasible but assumes everyone would be there to be tested.

How long would it take and how quickly would the results be available?

It's a grand idea but the practicalities and logistics worry me.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    Just seen a post saying that the Cardiothorcic centre at Basildon Hospital have run out of PPE jackets and are asking for donations from companies

This is from an ICU nurse........
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

GIN1138 said:

Good news that the PM has been moved out of ICU.

Fantastic news.
    This is good news.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,189

HYUFD said:

As others have indicated, it has to be a zero tolerance policy or it doesn't work. One person sitting becomes 20 people sitting becomes 200 people filling the park.
    I don’t think that’s true with a park bench.
  • Options
    stodge said:

Nigelb said:

Once again, human ingenuity comes to the rescue. Mass testing is probably a big step forward but how would we do it - I live in a cul-de-sac of 32 houses so let's say 100-150 people live in my street? Testing everyone is feasible but assumes everyone would be there to be tested.

You would do a big door drop of tests, the test would come up with a unique code (depending on the outcome), you'd enter your code into an app. They managed to do it with the EU fear booklet not hard to do it with something actually necessary.
  • Options
    Chris said:

HYUFD said:
    I don't think the rules applying to the hoi polloi apply to IDS.
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,050
    Great news on Boris....

I've just clapped for key workers

and....I managed to get myself a frozen pizza from the coop...the person who invented pizza is one of humanity's greatest specimens....
  • Options
    stodge said:

Nigelb said:

It needs planning now.
    The kit can be built - but large numbers of people will need to be trained in testing and local contact tracing. Fortunately we have nearly a million volunteers...
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,916
    edited April 2020

isam said:

isam said:

Alistair said:

Chris said:

Alistair said:

I'm getting naked at numbers that are actually false and confirmably false with 30 seconds of checking.

?
    The graph isam posted with the wacky trend line that showed a number of people were brought back to life by the Corona virus at the start of March. It's numbers do not match the source it says it takes them from.
    Let’s see...

https://twitter.com/asfarasdelgados/status/1248311155837284355?s=21

What a clype!
    Hardly! I wanted him to justify his data/answer his critics. Are you worried he’ll come and beat them up? You can be their muscle like you were for Scott the Brit!
  • Options
    tyson said:

Great news on Boris....

and....I managed to get myself a frozen pizza from the coop...the person who invented pizza is one of humanity's greatest specimens....

Yeah, I too went out to clap for Boris. Looking across the village green all the oldies were out. Just the oldies.
  • Options
    tyson said:

Great news on Boris....

Plenty of clapping in my street, and, new for this week, pan and pot bashing.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549
    stodge said:

Nigelb said:

I agree mass testing is the key, but the logistics are going to be a far bigger problem than buying and manufacturing the machines. You would need an army of people to carry out 20 million tests a day, transport swabs, do all the "paperwork", and process results. The bottlenecks in the process will be a real headache.
  • Options

Chris said:

HYUFD said:
    It'll be interesting to see whether the police respond as they did to Stephen Kinnock when he posted the picture of himself and his parents.
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

Omnium said:

Sandpit said:

Omnium said:

Sandpit said:

Omnium said:

malcolmg said:

Omnium said:

Evening Malcolm.

What sort of a fraction?
    About 30% according to
    https://www.moneywise.co.uk/news/2018-08-28‌‌/public-sector-pensions-triple-size-private-sector-counterparts
    Ok but that still means that they are 1/3rd of being millionaires.

It sounds rich - but it isn't. However there are plenty in the private sector that are far worse off.
  • Options
    There was never any doubt that he is a decent guy. The doubt is whether he can beat Trump and save the Republic.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,287

tyson said:

Great news on Boris....

More noise, and longer period of applause, my wife and I decided to join in.

I confess that I began to think of the poor soul who was told at his interrogation, do not be the first to stop clapping.
  • Options
    paulyork64paulyork64 Posts: 2,461
    ydoethur said:

TGOHF666 said:
    They probably sent in an extremely good looking nurse in and he immediately perked up....
    That would have been more likely to Carrie him off...

But it is good news that he seems to be improving.
    Carrie on Boris.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,287
    @Theuniondivvie

Hope you have explained the word clype to most of the others on PB. Makes a change from grass.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,959
    Pagan2 said:

HYUFD said:

So someone infected but asymptomatic sits on the bench, over the day 20 more sit on the bench and pick up the virus. Totally no harm there. Of course your right to sit is more important than the fact you may be unwittingly passing on so carry on and don't worry how many you might be killing
    The virus simply isn't that contagious.

Don't forget that before *any* containtment measures were put in place, you'd just pass the virus onto 3 people on average.

That's one person every five days or so, including the people you live with, the people you work with, the people you travel on the London underground with, etc.

Now, it's *possible*, of course, that you might get some viral matter on your hand, and then transfer it to the bench. And then someone else sits down there, get it on their hand, and then touches their nose or mouth with their hand, and ends up sick.

But it's not likely.
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:

@Theuniondivvie

Hope you have explained the word clype to most of the others on PB. Makes a change from grass.

It means snitching/snitches?

Clypes get stitches doesn't work does it?
  • Options
    glw said:

stodge said:

Nigelb said:

I agree mass testing is the key, but the logistics are going to be a far bigger problem than buying and manufacturing the machines. You would need an army of people to carry out 20 million tests a day, transport swabs, do all the "paperwork", and process results. The bottlenecks in the process will be a real headache.
    Meanwhile we're still on about 10,000 a day, and the Chief Scientific Adviser is taking comfort from the low numbers of positive tests. :-(
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,986
    Chris said:

HYUFD said:
    https://twitter.com/MPIainDS/status/1246416727090569216?s=19
    https://twitter.com/MPIainDS/status/1248274506084429831?s=19
  • Options
    Omnium said:

Pagan2 said:

Omnium said:

Sandpit said:

Omnium said:

Sandpit said:

Omnium said:

malcolmg said:

Omnium said:

Evening Malcolm.

What sort of a fraction?
    About 30% according to

It sounds rich - but it isn't. However there are plenty in the private sector that are far worse off.
    The point is not the size of the pot, the point is that many relatively poorly off people are having to pay for pensions that they could never dream of. In the next 30 years we will have two classes of pensioners the well off public sector ones and the poorly off private sector ones.

This used to be justified by public sector wages being poor compared to equivalent private sector jobs but that hasn't been true since the late 90's
  • Options

ydoethur said:

TGOHF666 said:
    They probably sent in an extremely good looking nurse in and he immediately perked up....
    That would have been more likely to Carrie him off...

But it is good news that he seems to be improving.
    Carrie on Boris.
    I'd be in good spirits if I was leaving ICU.
  • Options
    StereotomyStereotomy Posts: 4,092

There was never any doubt that he is a decent guy. The doubt is whether he can beat Trump and save the Republic.
    And he would obviously have a better chance than Biden, who has the baggage of the corruption scandal involving his son, is an accused rapist with a long history of being photographed and filmed touching women and young girls inappropriately, and senile to the point of frequently being unable to string a coherent sentence together.

The truth is the Democratic establishment would prefer President Trump over President Sanders. Would you?
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    Chris said:

glw said:

stodge said:

Nigelb said:

Meanwhile we're still on about 10,000 a day, and the Chief Scientific Adviser is taking comfort from the low numbers of positive tests. :-(
    16,000+ tests on today's figures. Basically doubled it in a week. Getting there to the 25,000 a day they originally set as the level they wanted for the start of April, but still a very long way to get anywhere near 100,000 tests a day they now set as the line in the sand.
  • Options
    Chris said:

Chris said:

HYUFD said:
    It'll be interesting to see whether the police respond as they did to Stephen Kinnock when he posted the picture of himself and his parents.
    IDS is a patrician lawmaker, and should be above admonishment by plod. Stephen Kinnock is just a (insert your preferred profanities).
  • Options

tyson said:

Great news on Boris....

We were all bashing pans down our way.
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

Omnium said:

Pagan2 said:

Omnium said:

Sandpit said:

Omnium said:

Sandpit said:

Omnium said:

malcolmg said:

Omnium said:

Evening Malcolm.

What sort of a fraction?
    About 30% according to

The point is not the size of the pot, the point is that many relatively poorly off people are having to pay for pensions that they could never dream of. In the next 30 years we will have two classes of pensioners the well off public sector ones and the poorly off private sector ones.

This used to be justified by public sector wages being poor compared to equivalent private sector jobs but that hasn't been true since the late 90's
    Yes.
  • Options
    edited April 2020

And he would obviously have a better chance than Biden, who has the baggage of the corruption scandal involving his son, is an accused rapist with a long history of being photographed and filmed touching women and young girls inappropriately, and senile to the point of frequently being unable to string a coherent sentence together.

The truth is the Democratic establishment would prefer President Trump over President Sanders. Would you?
    This is clearly some new meaning of the word "obviously" that I was previously unaware of.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,594
    edited April 2020

Alistair said:

Chris said:

Alistair said:

I'm getting naked at numbers that are actually false and confirmably false with 30 seconds of checking.

?
    The graph isam posted with the wacky trend line that showed a number people were brought back to life by the Corona virus at the start of March. It's number do not match the source it says it takes them from.
    a miracle.
    He is Risen! (A few days early...)
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,045
    isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

Alistair said:

Chris said:

Alistair said:

?
    The graph isam posted with the wacky trend line that showed a number of people were brought back to life by the Corona virus at the start of March. It's numbers do not match the source it says it takes them from.
    Let’s see...

https://twitter.com/asfarasdelgados/status/1248311155837284355?s=21

What a clype!
    Hardly! I wanted him to justify his data/answer his critics. Are you worried he’ll come and beat them up? You can be their muscle like you were for Scott the Brit!
    It's odd that you seem to see things in terms of physical encounters. It's all just randos on the internet, squire.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,917
    edited April 2020
    rcs1000 said:

Pagan2 said:

HYUFD said:

Don't forget that before *any* containtment measures were put in place, you'd just pass the virus onto 3 people on average.

That's one person every five days or so, including the people you live with, the people you work with, the people you travel on the London underground with, etc.

Now, it's *possible*, of course, that you might get some viral matter on your hand, and then transfer it to the bench. And then someone else sits down there, get it on their hand, and then touches their nose or mouth with their hand, and ends up sick.

But it's not likely.
    My new* regular run out is like the social distancing olympics now. Passed about 7 people in 12k, most at about 25 metres distance, closest was a walker on a 3 metre wide path who stopped and turned his face away whilst crouching. I held my breath as I ran past him (About 3 metres away) and that was the closest contact by far on the run.

* My pre covid regular runs all were in another village with my running club.

Semi serious exercisers in remote locations are going the extra mile not to catch the bug.
  • Options

Chris said:

glw said:

stodge said:

Nigelb said:

16,000+ tests on today's figures. Basically doubled it in a week. Much closer to the 25,000 a day they talked about for the start of April, but still a very long way to get anywhere near 100,000 tests a day they now set as the line in the sand.
    You're looking at the wrong column, I think. 10,713 people tested in today's figures.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    IanB2 said:

Omnium said:

Sandpit said:

Omnium said:

malcolmg said:

Omnium said:

Evening Malcolm.

The defined benefit valuation ratio is 20:1, so that’s a bit off. Although closer for a defined contribution pension (which none of those have).
    The 20x capitalisation rate implies a 5% yield though which is garbage. 40x would be more accurate
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Chris said:

HYUFD said:
    Why do AgeConcern have to organise IDS's prescriptions. Surely he can organise them for himself!
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,317

The world we're in.

Police inspecting your shopping trolley, neighbours shopping you if you go out twice in one day, and losing your job at the shop for saying the wrong thing.
  • Options
    Less clapping and pan-bashing here than last week.
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    Chris said:

Chris said:

glw said:

stodge said:

Nigelb said:

16,000+ tests on today's figures. Basically doubled it in a week. Much closer to the 25,000 a day they talked about for the start of April, but still a very long way to get anywhere near 100,000 tests a day they now set as the line in the sand.
    You're looking at the wrong column, I think. 10,713 people tested in today's figures.
    No, I said 16,000 TESTS. The benchmarks have always been against the capacity of number of TESTS they could do, as there are a whole load of reasons why they might need to test some people more than once, which aren't in your control.

As far as I understand, the new benchmark isn't 100,000 people a day, it is TESTS.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Chris said:

HYUFD said:
    Why do AgeConcern have to organise IDS's prescriptions. Surely he can organise them for himself!
    It means they organised the photo opportunity.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    Chris said:

Chris said:

glw said:

stodge said:

Nigelb said:

People vs tests. I think what is clear is that we have the capacity to test people more than once to check for false negatives rather than sending them home thinking they don't have the virus when they might. That is a positive development.
  • Options

Latest poll shows Biden with a 10% lead over Trump.

And Biden’s win over Sanders is thanks to the voters not the Democratic establishment.
    Obvious or not, those are the results.
  • Options

None of those stopped Trump.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,317
    Great news about Boris, and a nice start to the Easter weekend.

In my view the authorities need to accept that people will want to be outside this weekend for a couple of hours with their families. They should tolerate that so long as distance is maintained and there is no crowding anywhere, yet alone overcrowding.
  • Options

No pan-bashing? Clearly an upmarket neighbourhood.
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    Charles said:

IanB2 said:

Omnium said:

Sandpit said:

Omnium said:

malcolmg said:

Omnium said:

Evening Malcolm.

The defined benefit valuation ratio is 20:1, so that’s a bit off. Although closer for a defined contribution pension (which none of those have).
    The 20x capitalisation rate implies a 5% yield though which is garbage. 40x would be more accurate
    But the capital sum would be being spent down
  • Options

It was no way to make steam anyway.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

rcs1000 said:

Pagan2 said:

HYUFD said:

But it's not likely.
    My new* regular run out is like the social distancing olympics now. Passed about 7 people in 12k, most at about 25 metres distance, closest was a walker on a 3 metre wide path who stopped and turned his face away whilst crouching. I held my breath as I ran past him (About 3 metres away) and that was the closest contact by far on the run.

* My pre covid regular runs all were in another village with my running club.

Semi serious exercisers in remote locations are going the extra mile not to catch the bug.
    Crouching is really dumb. The virus is likely to be contained in water or phlegm droplets that are subject to gravity. That means the further from you they are, the lower they will be... So by crouching he had positioned his face to be at about the height any viral materal would be when it reached him.
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,561
    In paying for health coverage for campaign workers through Nov, Bernie Sanders is drawing a strong contrast between himself and Mike Bloomberg. Who promised his campaign staff jobs until EDay but then reneged.

Methinks that part of the deal with Biden includes Sanders & Co. working the Bernistas now to November 2020 - at least I hope so!
  • Options
    Chris said:

HYUFD said:

Chris said:

HYUFD said:
    It means they organised the photo opportunity.
    The GE is not for 4 years...you don't think it was for a second tilt at leadership while Boris was out of action, surely?
  • Options

The world we're in.

Police inspecting your shopping trolley, neighbours shopping you if you go out twice in one day, and losing your job at the shop for saying the wrong thing.
    It's not good. I feel sorry for the lady - it was a moment of stupid anger but not unlike something someone here would say (and has).
  • Options
    eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,890
    Omnium said:

Sandpit said:

Omnium said:

Sandpit said:

Omnium said:

malcolmg said:

Omnium said:

Evening Malcolm.

What sort of a fraction?
    11/9
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,561
    Question: How effective a disinfectant against the current Creeping Crud is direct sunlight? On sunny days have been putting gloves I wear whenever I leave my humble abode out in the sun for several hours. Does that actually do any good? Enquiring minds want to know!
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,594

Plenty here, even a few fireworks, which seems a bit enthusiastic.
  • Options

I said LESS pan-bashing :)
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,050

I hope you made up for it Sunil....

Boris' good news and a pizza have put in a particularly happy mood......and no work for 4 days...normally I'd be on the cocktails in a nice bar...but tonight I'm on the wotsits...and some quaffable Coop wine....

• Options

I have written to the Vatican to have them all Sainted - even the crap NHS workers.
  • Options
    eristdoof said:

Omnium said:

Sandpit said:

Omnium said:

Sandpit said:

Omnium said:

malcolmg said:

Omnium said:

Evening Malcolm.

What sort of a fraction?
    11/9
    ok. that seems to not be widely accepted, but if you win the argumen then good for you!
  • Options

I said LESS pan-bashing :)
    We all know what sort of bashing you enjoy!
  • Options
    Four weeks since my last rides on public transport! (train and bus from Southend Airport to Ilford North area)

Five weeks ago tomorrow, I did the 200-mile round trip from Aberdeen to Inverness and back by train...
This discussion has been closed.