Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Now you can spread bet on Johnson’s daily coronavirus briefing

Comments

• Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,193

Floater said:

Twitter entering into meltdown over a rumoured death

Who?
    Phil the greek.
    We may have a Dead Pool winner.....
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

Floater said:

Who?
    Phil the greek.
    What he said
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,928
    eristdoof said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

Do other countries have that antibodies test?

I don't think any country has it yet.
    No, sounds like it.

Shows my ignorance - I assumed the current test would indicate if somebody has had it and recovered.
    It sounds like there is already a test out there? I thought it was still being developed.
    As far as the latest news goes there is no test yet anywhere that shows you have had the disease. But a fair few labs think they are close. The current increase in testing to 25,000 a day all seems to be based on the current test which will only show if you have the active disease.
    ... if you actually have the active virus. A pedantic but important differenence.
    Corrected for you.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 31,048
    tyson said:

Is Boris Johnson seriously saying that he has no intention of changing the Brexit timescales?

Honestly...we might not have a fucking EU, and the fundamental role of the state may have changed in these months...

He just needs to deflect the question.....

Yep Its dumb. Both the question and the response.

They need to have it beaten into them IT DOESN'T MATTER.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,239
    kinabalu said:

Not necessarily. I received an email earlier today sent by our school to all parents asking who was a critical worker. Advising that they were working on a contingency plan for one school in the region to look after the children of critical care workers while other schools close.

Not sure if that's an organised thing or just a local initiative.

Ah OK. Hadn't thought of that.

What about fees for privates, I wonder?
    Time to cancel my DD for fees I think.
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,446
    eristdoof said:

Foss said:

nichomar said:

RobD said:

Jonathan said:

No GCSEs. Fuck.

Well, they'll be done eventually.
    When? After the kids have started their A-Levels? And A-Levels after they have started their degree courses? Award the certificates based on work to date and thus the predicted grade and move on. As a recruiting manager I don't really care what someone got in lower stages of education - GSCEs and A-Levsl are stepping stones.
    I suggested earlier just reset the school year through the system so they all start again in September, crash building program for new year -1 and additional teachers. To include universities as well
    Crash building for capacity? When I was a boy we just used portakabins.
    In my school too. They were bloody awful.
    Before we moved to Canterbury I went to a primary school in the suburbs of Reading and the portakabins used there were nicknamed "terrapins". I have no idea why.
  • Options

Boris

Pupils of key workers should turn up at their schools on monday

Define "key workers" Mr Johnson. NHS staff, police, fire obviously. Supermarket and pharmacy staff I assume. And their supply chains? And the factories who make the food and pharmaceuticals? How about the people who keep phones and broadband running. Power and utilities. Who else?

How about the "I need to work and have no childcare and my neandertal boss will fire me" worker. Will we now see kids sat in the front of your Amazon delivery van? Etc etc.

Need to Think Through The Details. Then make announcements. Schools are all closed. Except for children who need to come to school. So schools remain open then...
    Emergency services and health workers was mentioned
  • Options
    FossFoss Posts: 694
    eristdoof said:

Foss said:

nichomar said:

RobD said:

Jonathan said:

No GCSEs. Fuck.

When? After the kids have started their A-Levels? And A-Levels after they have started their degree courses? Award the certificates based on work to date and thus the predicted grade and move on. As a recruiting manager I don't really care what someone got in lower stages of education - GSCEs and A-Levsl are stepping stones.
    I suggested earlier just reset the school year through the system so they all start again in September, crash building program for new year -1 and additional teachers. To include universities as well
    Ours had electric radiators which were far better at maintaining a reasonable temperature than the centrally heated radiators in the rest of the school.
  • Options
    StereotomyStereotomy Posts: 4,092

Jonathan said:

Yup we fucked up.

Not really. Certainly no more than any other generation in history. This really is an 'Act of God' which it would have been impossible or impractical to prepare for.
    Yes, if only the human mind were capable of conceiving of the idea of an epidemic before 2020. But alas,

• Options

eristdoof said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

Do other countries have that antibodies test?

I don't think any country has it yet.
    No, sounds like it.

Shows my ignorance - I assumed the current test would indicate if somebody has had it and recovered.
    It sounds like there is already a test out there? I thought it was still being developed.
    As far as the latest news goes there is no test yet anywhere that shows you have had the disease. But a fair few labs think they are close. The current increase in testing to 25,000 a day all seems to be based on the current test which will only show if you have the active disease.
    ... if you actually have the active virus. A pedantic but important differenence.
    Corrected for you.
    Thanks oh pedantic but entirely correct ones.
  • Options

Floater said:

Who?
    Phil the greek.
    Point of order - has to be caused by C-19 to qualify.
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,052

Jonathan said:

Yup we fucked up.

Not really. Certainly no more than any other generation in history. This really is an 'Act of God' which it would have been impossible or impractical to prepare for.

What's more, look at the incredible achievements in the response: from a standing start, the genetic sequence of the virus had been completely determined in weeks, and the information disseminated around the world, with candidate vaccines already in clinical trials or about to be.

Not much help in the immediate crisis, of course, but stunning all the same.
    I think the sharing of data between countries is a real positive
  • Options

Floater said:

Who?
    Phil the greek.
    I said "may"....
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

What sort of imbecile announces that exams are cancelled but refuses to explain what system he has put in place to replace them?

Twat.

He clearly hasn’t even spoken to Ofqual or the JCQ yet.

I am expecting to find my students in a panic tomorrow and I don’t blame them.

Because these things take time to organise but closing schools won't wait.

If he had announced the schools were closing but made no mention of exams you would have been screaming about that as well.

Basically you will never be satisfied by anything he says, which reflects far more on you than it does on the Government.
    No I wouldn’t. I would have expected him to make a call on that later.
    Then your students would have been in an even greater panic tomorrow. Schools closed but they might still have to take their exams? That would really have upset things.

This was literally the only thing they cold have done at this point. Delaying closing the schools would have been unconscionable, closing schools but making no comment on exams or saying they would still go ahead would be terrible.

They have closed the schools as lots of teachers were screaming for them to do and have said that no child will lose out because of missing exams. What else would you have them do?
    You know, I was going to reply in detail, but it’s not worth it. You don’t understand and you don’t care, and you never will.
    LOL. I do love it when teachers think they are the only ones who know anything about kids.

To use your earlier description.

Twat.

• Options
    Foss said:

eristdoof said:

Foss said:

nichomar said:

RobD said:

Jonathan said:

No GCSEs. Fuck.

Ours had electric radiators which were far better at maintaining a reasonable temperature than the centrally heated radiators in the rest of the school.
    Our brand new 1960s primary had underfloor heating - which was brilliant. Shame they had to add portakabins within 10 years due to undersizing the school.

Oh to be 9 or 10 now - 26 weeks holiday to look forward to!
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,945
    On renters saying they will be protected from no fault evictions is spectacularly missing the point. They want protection from eviction for not paying the rent because they have lost their job due to govt shutting down the economy.
  • Options
    eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,916

RobD said:

nichomar said:

RobD said:

Jonathan said:

No GCSEs. Fuck.

Yes. Then align the academic year with the calendar year with everyone moving up a year in January.

Hard luck to those who make those silly diaries that run from September to August.
    No more summer holidays? :o
    November to January....
    Australia have just before Christmas to just after Australia Day (26th January). Of course that is the summer there!
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,033
    Anyway, I'm off. Do play nicely, everyone.
  • Options

Floater said:

Who?
    Phil the greek.
    I said "may"....
    Yebbut - just clarifying the rules.
  • Options
    NerysHughesNerysHughes Posts: 3,354
    JM1 said:

tyson said:

Jonathan said:

Yup we fucked up.

What's more, look at the incredible achievements in the response: from a standing start, the genetic sequence of the virus had been completely determined in weeks, and the information disseminated around the world, with candidate vaccines already in clinical trials or about to be.

Yes - and the very international nature of clinical trials. That will help us, fingers crossed, in the immediate crisis by providing better guidance on which drugs might work.
    This seems good

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8116881/Doctor-claims-breakthrough-stem-cell-injections-treat-coronavirus.html
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,336

Floater said:

Who?
    Phil the greek.
    I said "may"....
    There is a VAR meme of this.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820

Jonathan said:

Yup we fucked up.

Yes, if only the human mind were capable of conceiving of the idea of an epidemic before 2020. But alas,

You can conceive of an epidemic, but that doesn't mean it's practical to remain in a high state of readiness for decades on end on the off-chance that one appears this year. And even by the standards of epidemics, this is exceptional in being both so contagious and deadly, but spreading before symptoms appear.
  • Options
    FossFoss Posts: 694
    Christ... I'm going to end up on a bloody list.
  • Options

Floater said:

Who?
    Phil the greek.
    I said "may"....
    Yebbut - just clarifying the rules.
    Hang on to your tickets anyway - for purposes of national morale, it may not be admitted it is C-19 until months later.

The downside of HRH having succumbed would be endless Nicholas Witchell....
  • Options
    CatManCatMan Posts: 2,817

Floater said:

Who?
    Phil the greek.
    I said "may"....
    There is a VAR meme of this.
    https://twitter.com/beths26_/status/1240331628888629249?s=20
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483
    Foss said:

Foss said:

• Options
    Fysics_TeacherFysics_Teacher Posts: 6,060

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

What sort of imbecile announces that exams are cancelled but refuses to explain what system he has put in place to replace them?

Twat.

If he had announced the schools were closing but made no mention of exams you would have been screaming about that as well.

Basically you will never be satisfied by anything he says, which reflects far more on you than it does on the Government.
    Then your students would have been in an even greater panic tomorrow. Schools closed but they might still have to take their exams? That would really have upset things.

This was literally the only thing they cold have done at this point. Delaying closing the schools would have been unconscionable, closing schools but making no comment on exams or saying they would still go ahead would be terrible.

They have closed the schools as lots of teachers were screaming for them to do and have said that no child will lose out because of missing exams. What else would you have them do?
    You know, I was going to reply in detail, but it’s not worth it. You don’t understand and you don’t care, and you never will.
    LOL. I do love it when teachers think they are the only ones who know anything about kids.

Twat.

How many 16 year olds have you known in your life? Teachers may have taught thousands.

• Options
    Pagan2Pagan2 Posts: 8,888

On renters saying they will be protected from no fault evictions is spectacularly missing the point. They want protection from eviction for not paying the rent because they have lost their job due to govt shutting down the economy.

So as suspected not much for the underlings
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,739

Jonathan said:

Yup we fucked up.

We did, see David Quammen`s excellent book "Spillover".
  • Options
    tyson said:

glw said:

It looks very bad, and probably is, but part of that is down to much more testing.
    New York (and sadly London) is going to make Lombardy seem like a children's picnic

Schools and public transport still open today in London is madness
    If you cut public transport in London then doctors, nurses, ambulance drivers, power station and waterworks workers can't get to work.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,566

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Twat.

Twat.

How many 16 year olds have you known in your life? Teachers may have taught thousands.

It ain’t worth the effort. Trust me. I’ve tried and I’ve failed. He’s just an unpleasant person.

On a serious point, I have been pondering how this could be worked if Himself does stick to the policy. A-level History and Geography I might manage with coursework. What about Physics? Could something be done with those controlled practicals you have to do?
  • Options

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Twat.

Twat.

Doesn't mean they know much about them.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,711

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Twat.

Twat.

Exam-wise, it might be the cue for a rethink as to their purpose. Do we need them? GCSEs are basically valueless now the school leaving age is 18 or 21, and even A-levels matter mainly as gatekeepers for university entrance, for which they can easily be replaced.
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    JM1 said:

JM1 said:

tyson said:

Jonathan said:

Yup we fucked up.

Yes - and the very international nature of clinical trials. That will help us, fingers crossed, in the immediate crisis by providing better guidance on which drugs might work.
    This seems good

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8116881/Doctor-claims-breakthrough-stem-cell-injections-treat-coronavirus.html
    Not so convinced by this. Stem cell therapies are very difficult to get right (lots of v nasty side effects). More likely that repurposing of an existing drug will be the best - and some of those trials should report very soon.
    EDit: Sorry block quotes have got infected.
    My comment is below

I heard on the German news that Macron has requisitioned/ordered lots of a anti-malarial drug as it is having good initial results. I have no more details than that.
  • Options
    Foss said:

Yep
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 27,177
    Pulpstar said:

Sadiq should shut the tubes and bus down, can't think of a better breeding ground than that for the virus. Temporarily lift the congestion charge

Services will be reduced but I don't think it makes sense to shut them down completely.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 63,201

Boris

Pupils of key workers should turn up at their schools on monday

Define "key workers" Mr Johnson. NHS staff, police, fire obviously. Supermarket and pharmacy staff I assume. And their supply chains? And the factories who make the food and pharmaceuticals? How about the people who keep phones and broadband running. Power and utilities. Who else?

How about the "I need to work and have no childcare and my neandertal boss will fire me" worker. Will we now see kids sat in the front of your Amazon delivery van? Etc etc.

Need to Think Through The Details. Then make announcements. Schools are all closed. Except for children who need to come to school. So schools remain open then...
    There were only around half the number of kids in my wife's class this morning. I'm pretty sure that's duplicated up and down the country.
    Making it official will cut the number turning up considerably - and making the prevailing situation official is a good idea anyway.
  • Options
    edited March 2020

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Twat.

Twat.

Exam-wise, it might be the cue for a rethink as to their purpose. Do we need them? GCSEs are basically valueless now the school leaving age is 18 or 21, and even A-levels matter mainly as gatekeepers for university entrance, for which they can easily be replaced.
    Post A-Level applications to uni are the way forward.
  • Options
    nichomar said:

RobD said:

Jonathan said:

No GCSEs. Fuck.

It is hard to see how universities would be able to take undergraduates in September, anyway. They won't have completed their own core functions for existing UG/PG students.
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900
    edited March 2020

Phil the greek.

Twitter rumour has that happening every month. When it actually happens nobody will believe it - he'll be like Elvis.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,587
    eristdoof said:

JM1 said:

JM1 said:

tyson said:

Jonathan said:

Yup we fucked up.

This seems good

Not so convinced by this. Stem cell therapies are very difficult to get right (lots of v nasty side effects). More likely that repurposing of an existing drug will be the best - and some of those trials should report very soon.
    My comment is below

I heard on the German news that Macron has requisitioned/ordered lots of a anti-malarial drug as it is having good initial results. I have no more details than that.

That’s chloroquinine, I think. Private sales of it in the Uk were banned a while back, and the NHS has commandeered what stocks there are.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Twat.

Twat.

However true, that’s not really a helpful comment on the current situation.
  • Options

nichomar said:

RobD said:

Jonathan said:

No GCSEs. Fuck.

It is hard to see how universities would be able to take undergraduates in September, anyway. They won't have completed their own core functions for existing UG/PG students.
    Compulsory gap yaaaaaaaas...
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Twat.

Twat.

It ain’t worth the effort. Trust me. I’ve tried and I’ve failed. He’s just an unpleasant person.

On a serious point, I have been pondering how this could be worked if Himself does stick to the policy. A-level History and Geography I might manage with coursework. What about Physics? Could something be done with those controlled practicals you have to do?
    You mean the ones we were trying to finish off before the schools were shut?

They are pass/fail rather than graded.

The simplest (though probably not fairest) method is just to give everyone their UCAS prediction.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Twat.

Twat.

However true, that’s not really a helpful comment on the current situation.
    No, I was commenting on the post saying they should just be scraped these days.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Twat.

Twat.

Everyone who's ever been to school thinks themselves an expert on education (I do not except myself from this judgment)....
  • Options

nichomar said:

RobD said:

Jonathan said:

No GCSEs. Fuck.

They might not have done anyway, given the lecturers’ strike.
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

eristdoof said:

Foss said:

nichomar said:

RobD said:

Jonathan said:

No GCSEs. Fuck.

Before we moved to Canterbury I went to a primary school in the suburbs of Reading and the portakabins used there were nicknamed "terrapins". I have no idea why.
    Same here, a secondary school the badlands of Bucks. My understanding is that Terrapin was the supplier of prefabs.
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    I am again getting pissed off at the media demanding absolutes. How long to the day will schooled be closed.

FFS, this is fast moving situation, nobody can truly be sure about anything. It is how the public react, if Boris' Dad and Jezza get in their bloody homes and stay there, how lucky we get with respect to the NHS capacity, etc etc etc.

I am sure they were tempted to just say that was it for the academic year, but that brings huge problems if things aren't too bad and in 2 months lots of people are going back to work as normal.

And you also don't want to promise something like 15 days (or as the French call it 2 weeks) knowing that really you are going to be extending that time after time.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Pulpstar said:

Sadiq should shut the tubes and bus down, can't think of a better breeding ground than that for the virus. Temporarily lift the congestion charge

Services will be reduced but I don't think it makes sense to shut them down completely.
    Reducing bus and tube services increases passenger congestion, which defeats the purpose. Stopping altogether means people, including key workers like doctors and supermarket toilet roll shelf-stackers cannot get to work.

And is there much evidence Covid-19 is spread amongst commuters. It seems like it should be but do cases follow tube lines and bus routes? Have TfL scientists been taking samples to check?
  • Options
    I see Phil's dead again.

One of these days, he will actually be dead, and then you'll be sorry.
  • Options

The simplest (though probably not fairest) method is just to give everyone their UCAS prediction.

I can foresee all kinds of pitfalls there...
  • Options
    BannedinnParisBannedinnParis Posts: 1,884

DougSeal said:

eristdoof said:

Foss said:

nichomar said:

RobD said:

Jonathan said:

No GCSEs. Fuck.

Same here, a secondary school the badlands of Bucks. My understanding is that Terrapin was the supplier of prefabs.
    A particular type of immediately post-war design, often used in schools.

Yeah, had them in my Reading-based schools up until the 1990s.
  • Options
    NerysHughesNerysHughes Posts: 3,354
    eristdoof said:

JM1 said:

JM1 said:

tyson said:

Jonathan said:

Yup we fucked up.

This seems good

My comment is below

https://www.tasnimnews.com/en/news/2020/03/18/2226098/french-researcher-posts-successful-covid-19-drug-trial
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

nichomar said:

RobD said:

Jonathan said:

No GCSEs. Fuck.

They might not have done anyway, given the lecturers’ strike.
    Reset the academic year to coincide with the calendar year ... ? :smile:
  • Options
    Blimey, still going. They could probably knock up Wuhan-style hospitals for all.

https://terrapinmodularbuildings.wordpress.com/about-terrapin/
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Twat.

Twat.

Everyone who's ever been to school thinks themselves an expert on education (I do not except myself from this judgment)....
    I don’t mind people thinking they’re experts on that when they’re not. We’re all guilty of that arrogance to some extent.

I do object to being roundly and repeatedly abused and told I know nothing about my own job by an oil rig worker and amateur archaeologist whose posts display a profound ignorance of the subject he thinks I don’t understand.
  • Options
    BannedinnParisBannedinnParis Posts: 1,884

nichomar said:

RobD said:

Jonathan said:

No GCSEs. Fuck.

My job at the moment is to ensure my department delivers. Very busy few weeks getting everything moved to online submissions for coursework and robust online protocols for assessments.
  • Options

nichomar said:

RobD said:

Jonathan said:

No GCSEs. Fuck.

Everyone qualifies early. They have to get the final year out the door - there won't be accommodation for them anyway.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,260
    edited March 2020

The Government has just put £300 billion into the economy so people don't have to lose their jobs
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,029
    Pedant mode. Isn't that 7% of every asset on that particular exchange?
  • Options

I am again getting pissed off at the media demanding absolutes. How long to the day will schooled be closed.

FFS, this is fast moving situation, nobody can truly be sure about anything. It is how the public react, if Boris Dad and Jezza get in their bloody homes and stay there, how lucky we get with respect to the NHS capacity, etc etc etc.

If HMG has cancelled exams that take place in the summer, then presumably schools will shut for months, not reopening till September and possibly not even then.
  • Options
    edited March 2020

FFS, this is fast moving situation, nobody can truly be sure about anything. It is how the public react, if Boris Dad and Jezza get in their bloody homes and stay there, how lucky we get with respect to the NHS capacity, etc etc etc.

If HMG has cancelled exams that take place in the summer, then presumably schools will shut for months, not reopening till September and possibly not even then.
    I think that is definitely the presumption, but (big but) if things don't turn out as bad as feared, we could end up with the opposite problem, loads of parents going back to work as normal and nowhere to leave the kids.

And then if he said, right we are re-opening them, it was be all about massive U-Turn, poor planning, etc.
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,945
    Pagan2 said:

I think it will come, the pressure will be inevitable but a complete lack of comprehension of life renting within the cabinet of multi millionaires shows they dont get it.
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,052
    edited March 2020

tyson said:

Is Boris Johnson seriously saying that he has no intention of changing the Brexit timescales?

Honestly...we might not have a fucking EU, and the fundamental role of the state may have changed in these months...

He just needs to deflect the question.....

Yep Its dumb. Both the question and the response.

They need to have it beaten into them IT DOESN'T MATTER.
    It's such a dumb question to ask at this time- it just just creating division when we need to pull together....

Anything now is on the cards if Covid 19 carries on it's path of devastation ....that microbe is one hell of a plucky motherfucker...it's tough enough finding a home in a bat, never mind jumping into a pangolin...and living...and then remarkably jumping into a human's gob- and managing to get into the human's lungs still intact..and then thriving....and the more it thrives the more it knows...like the little fucker knew how to get into Bergamo from Wuhan. Who would've thought that? It fucking sussed out the Ryanair cheap flying slots to spread quickly around the world. Crazy but true.

And now the malicious twat has set it's sights full throttle on bringing down the global economy, of fucking up the financial system and bringing the whole thing down like a stack of dominoes.....the bastard isn't bothering with the fragile countries of Africa like it's distant cousin, Mr Ebola....small fry....no... Covid 19 is much more cunning..... this little shit is aiming for the jugular of global capitalism at a full speed of knots.... and I cannot see anything stopping it. Can you?
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    The Dow about to have sniff of 19000 and the FTSE of life below 5000
  • Options
    From a University admissions point of view, if we have to move to lockdown (which is clearly coming), the building blocks aren't in place for September entry, event without A level results.

Interviews for some courses e.g. teaching, nursing, midwifery haven't been completed, the Student Loans Company/Student Awards Agency for Scotland need to play their part etc etc.

The case for post qualification applications has been made quite clearly now.

• Options

Pagan2 said:

I think it will come, the pressure will be inevitable but a complete lack of comprehension of life renting within the cabinet of multi millionaires shows they dont get it.
    They have got non eviction for non payment of rent, what more do they want?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

I can foresee all kinds of pitfalls there...
    I didn’t say it was a good solution, just a simple one. I’m not sure if there is a good solution though.
  • Options
    Angela Merkel giving a national address at the moment.
  • Options
    Anyway, back to old episodes of TimeTeam. Have a safe evening everyone.
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Twat.

Twat.

I don’t mind people thinking they’re experts on that when they’re not. We’re all guilty of that arrogance to some extent.

I do object to being roundly and repeatedly abused and told I know nothing about my own job by an oil rig worker and amateur archaeologist whose posts display a profound ignorance of the subject he thinks I don’t understand.
    Fuck you you ignorant shit.

It is you with your fucking arrogance thinking you always know best who is at fault here. You have this attitude that no one except you can possibly know anything about students except you and the other teachers. You know more than parents, than families, than those of us who work with kids outside of school and more than even the kids know themselves.

Then you have the audacity to use that false omnipotence to attack the Government for not doing exactly what you want at exactly the time you want it.

You are a teacher. Not a fucking world expert on everything to do with our children. And certainly not an expert when it comes to making decisions affecting all of our lives.

Show some fucking humility for once.
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483
    HYUFD said:

The Government has just put £300 billion into the economy so people don't have to lose their jobs
    The issue is what does the local cafe do when it is shut down, do they continue to pay their staff to do nothing or does the owner pocket the money? That’s the situation in 1000s of businesses. A local initiative to harness this excess labour into food distribution, mask production etc would be ideal but I don’t see that happening. Just because £300B has been put in does not, as yet protect a single job without something to back it up.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Pagan2 said:

You are such a shit.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,029
    nichomar said:

HYUFD said:

The issue is what does the local cafe do when it is shut down, do they continue to pay their staff to do nothing or does the owner pocket the money? That’s the situation in 1000s of businesses. A local initiative to harness this excess labour into food distribution, mask production etc would be ideal but I don’t see that happening. Just because £300B has been put in does not, as yet protect a single job without something to back it up.
    I would have assumed that the loans are tied to certain conditions. The first of which is you don't fire your staff.
  • Options
    eristdoof said:

Disappointing. No "amazing, fantastic, incredible, terrific, world leading, etc.".
  • Options
    booksellerbookseller Posts: 423

Sturgeon said no guarantee that schools will reopen until after the Summer holidays. Been speaking to a couple of my teacher friends, and they say - privately - that schools will be reorganised into 'key worker' creches, and now that all exams have been cancelled, it's a case of managing this and resetting in the Autumn.

In my house, the news of school closures has been greeted by the younger members with a certain sombreness...

...akin to telling them that 'Santa has been' when they were about six...
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

Pagan2 said:

You are such a shit.
    You are a partisan fanatic
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Twat.

Twat.

Fuck you you ignorant shit.

It is you with your fucking arrogance thinking you always know best who is at fault here. You have this attitude that no one except you can possibly know anything about students except you and the other teachers. You know more than parents, than families, than those of us who work with kids outside of school and more than even the kids know themselves.

Then you have the audacity to use that false omnipotence to attack the Government for not doing exactly what you want at exactly the time you want it.

You are a teacher. Not a fucking world expert on everything to do with our children. And certainly not an expert when it comes to making decisions affecting all of our lives.

Show some fucking humility for once.
    @PBModerator

Posted without comment.
  • Options
    BigRichBigRich Posts: 3,489
    Just thinking about the US Democrat primary, and the possibility of Burny pulling out:

All numbers are from the Wikipidia page and May not be total accurate.

Total Deligats: 3,979
    Awarded so far: 2,224
    Still To award: 1,755
    Needed to win: 1,990 (on first round)

Bidden: 1,179
    Sanders: 884
    All others: 162

So to win they need

Bidden: 811
    Sanders: 1,106

Which as a % of remaining deligaets

Biden: 46.2%
    Sanders: 63.0%

In reality Biden could get as low as 37.1% of the remaining deligats and then go to the second round where the supper deligats may swing it for him.

largest % for Sanders so far:

Northern Marianas: 63% (caucus)
    North Dakota: 53% (caucus)
    Vermont: 51% (home state)
    Idaho: 43%
    Navarro 40% (caucus)
    Colorado 37%

I don't think this is new to anybody on here, but as I was calculating for myself thought I would share
  • Options
    nichomar said:

HYUFD said:

It does if it keeps the business going
  • Options
    edited March 2020

eristdoof said:

Disappointing. No "amazing, fantastic, incredible, terrific, world leading, etc.".
    ... but "it is serious and it is in the open."

I thought it was a very good speech, even if the content was for us fairly predictable.
    The most interesting point was how difficult it is for her to close the borders, because she knows what it is like to like in a country with closed borders.
  • Options
    BigRich said:

Just thinking about the US Democrat primary, and the possibility of Burny pulling out:

So to win they need

In reality Biden could get as low as 37.1% of the remaining deligats and then go to the second round where the supper deligats may swing it for him.

Navarro 40% (caucus)
    Colorado 37%

I don't think this is new to anybody on here, but as I was calculating for myself thought I would share

That's great, thanks.

The maths is impossible for Sanders now, but he'll hang on until the bitter end and waste everyone's time I imagine.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

No they have guaranteed loans to that amount so business owners dont lose their business. People are still being laid off
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

Pagan2 said:

You are such a shit.
    @PB Moderator

Equally posted without comment, we should not just have one rule for Richard while leftwing PBers get off with abuse
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900

The maths is impossible for Sanders now, but he'll hang on until the bitter end and waste everyone's time I imagine.

Not to mention get lots of people infected by going to the polls.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,043
    Careful all, high blood pressure is a relevant comorbidity factor for COVID-19.
  • Options

BigRich said:

So to win they need

Navarro 40% (caucus)
    Colorado 37%

That's great, thanks.

Trump meanwhile passed the delegate threshold to be GOP nominee last night
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Pagan2 said:

and who the hell is going to be taxed to pay for the rich people being bailed out again.....you and people like you are exactly why I refuse to vote tory
  • Options
    PBModeratorPBModerator Posts: 661
    @HYUFD - it applied to all. Things are getting a bit too heated in here.
  • Options

I wonder what pb will be like after 80 days self isolation on a boiling hot summers evening! The economy might yet be saved by an increased demand for moderators.

As long as SeanT doesn't start moonlighting as a mod...
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Careful all, high blood pressure is a relevant comorbidity factor for COVID-19.

I better stop watching the media and looking at twitter then...
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited March 2020
    On the other hand each debate is a once in a lifetime chance to raise the health issue at a time of national emergency for him. At the same time I wouldn't favour him staying in too much longer.

He's extracted some commitments from Biden on university tuition by staying in. Now he should extract some commitments on healthcare, and then pull out.
  • Options
    Andrew said:

Not to mention get lots of people infected by going to the polls.
    Even the Labour Party can manage postal voting, it shouldn't be beyond the wit of man for the Dems to make arrangements.
  • Options
    alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518

nichomar said:

RobD said:

Jonathan said:

No GCSEs. Fuck.

National service?
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,117
    edited March 2020
    Will you be blaming the “feckless poor” for losing their jobs @HYUFD ? The government has after all “promised” 300b so that shouldn’t happen right?

Spoiler: people have already lost their jobs
This discussion has been closed.