Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Now you can spread bet on Johnson’s daily coronavirus briefing

Comments

• Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669

One medical quirk I noticed is that President Trump's doctor (who recently gave DT a clean bill of health) is an osteopath. It turns out that combined medicine and osteopathy degrees are common in America.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-51893445

There is a link to the Profumo affair because "Dr" Stephen Ward was qualified as a doctor in America but our GMC did not recognise foreign qualifications so Ward was only an osteopath here.

at least he wasn't a homeopath :smiley:
  • Options
    ChameleonChameleon Posts: 4,053
    Pound just fallen through the floor just as the lobby has been briefed. It's lockdown time?
  • Options
    alex_ said:

The supermarkets have a big problem

I have an ongoing medical issue which I am dealing with on the telephone with my GP practice and they are excellent. They have thanked my wife and I for going into isolation and have said that my high risk factor is an issue over the attendance at the practice though in the end I will be given an appointment. I have full confidence in them but it is clear I cannot breach the isolation

Yesterday my granddaughter 17 went down with a 38 degree temperature and now my daughter, son in law, and grandson are in lockdown for 14 days. Indeed my grandson will not be going back to his school as he moves up in September and the school closes on friday. They cannot help us for the rest of the month.

And now back to the supermarkets, my delivery for tomorrow sees lots of out of stock items and it is a joke. I have not been able to source hand santiser from anywhere since the start of covid 19 nor surface cleaners and paracetamol

The need to supply the most important items to those of us isolated for at least 12 weeks must be addressed as we cannot just get in the car and shop around

So many problems and no easy solutions.

I wonder when our idiotic media will stop their constant whinging, and do they really need to be filming outside the construction of new mortuaries in London

Even if you could get in the car and shop around you likely wouldn't be able to get paracetamol or hand sanitiser
    For work reasons I've been to 4 supermarkets this afternoon and none of them had any of those. Or toilet rolls, pasta, kids medicines, cat litter. For the people who are *genuinely* in need this absolutely is a major problem. "Stay home drink water take pills" is fine. Unless you have no pills. In which case the temptation will undoubtedly be to send people out from the household looking for pills...
    Generally smaller stores seem to have had more availability
    Absolutely. Just had an email from one of the biggest independent wholesalers about the steps they are taking - they will continue to find creative ways to keep product of some description in the supply chain.

Other news - Morrisons have today announced that they intend to reduce the number of products they carry - this will allow them to make more and thus sell more. Uniquely Morrisons are one of the UK's biggest food manufacturers as well as a retailer - they give an example in The Grocer article:

"Morrisons has already shifted to a slimmed-down range on some items, including moving from 17 core bakery lines to just seven, which it said had enabled production of bread to rise from 850,000 loaves to 1.4 million loaves in the past week." Fewer changeovers = higher output...
  • Options
    StereotomyStereotomy Posts: 4,092

Foxy said:

DavidL said:

I reported that on here a couple of days ago. One of my daughter's best friends is one of the lucky "beneficiaries". She is now working at Ninewells.

I can't help thinking that these young doctors are about to go through something every bit as traumatic as taking part in a war. They are going to see a lot of death first hand. They are going to have to make very difficult choices. They are going to be working their arses off and they are almost certainly going to get sick.

I wonder how many of them will still be in the profession in 5 years time.
    It will be a baptism of fire, but they will be fine. They will be acting as assistants and the camaraderie is great at the moment. Sure we will all need to decompress afterwards, but it is as likely to be the making of them as the breaking.

I have faith in the youngsters. They are the equals of any other generation.
    Absolutely. The idea that 'the Greatest Generation' had some inherently unique characteristics that subsequent generations do not is awful sentimental pish; youngsters rose to the challenge then and will again.
    Or, according to these guys, the Greatest Generation did have special characteristics, but so do Millenials: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strauss–Howe_generational_theory
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 77,116
    edited March 2020
    Chameleon said:

Pound just fallen through the floor just as the lobby has been briefed. It's lockdown time?

Well the press seem to be leaking like a sieve that this is happening.

I don't know if it is significant but the Boris press conference has been bumped back and back.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 45,334
    Nigelb said:

I have an ongoing medical issue which I am dealing with on the telephone with my GP practice and they are excellent. They have thanked my wife and I for going into isolation and have said that my high risk factor is an issue over the attendance at the practice though in the end I will be given an appointment. I have full confidence in them but it is clear I cannot breach the isolation

Yesterday my granddaughter 17 went down with a 38 degree temperature and now my daughter, son in law, and grandson are in lockdown for 14 days. Indeed my grandson will not be going back to his school as he moves up in September and the school closes on friday. They cannot help us for the rest of the month.

And now back to the supermarkets, my delivery for tomorrow sees lots of out of stock items and it is a joke. I have not been able to source hand santiser from anywhere since the start of covid 19 nor surface cleaners and paracetamol

The need to supply the most important items to those of us isolated for at least 12 weeks must be addressed as we cannot just get in the car and shop around

I wonder when our idiotic media will stop their constant whinging, and do they really need to be filming outside the construction of new mortuaries in London

Even if you could get in the car and shop around you likely wouldn't be able to get paracetamol or hand sanitiser
    For work reasons I've been to 4 supermarkets this afternoon and none of them had any of those. Or toilet rolls, pasta, kids medicines, cat litter. For the people who are *genuinely* in need this absolutely is a major problem. "Stay home drink water take pills" is fine. Unless you have no pills. In which case the temptation will undoubtedly be to send people out from the household looking for pills...
    Supermarkets are sensibly starting to limit purchases of particular items. Hopefully this will stabilise things over the next few days.

Meanwhile, saw loo roll on the shelves of the local Chinese supermarket this afternoon...
    One suggestion I saw was to reverse the BOGOFF idea - if you want to buy multiple items in one go, the price increases suitably exponentially (or other mathematical function).

So the 200th bog roll would pay off the national debt.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 45,531
    Nigelb said:

Foxy said:

DavidL said:

I reported that on here a couple of days ago. One of my daughter's best friends is one of the lucky "beneficiaries". She is now working at Ninewells.

I can't help thinking that these young doctors are about to go through something every bit as traumatic as taking part in a war. They are going to see a lot of death first hand. They are going to have to make very difficult choices. They are going to be working their arses off and they are almost certainly going to get sick.

It will be a baptism of fire, but they will be fine. They will be acting as assistants and the camaraderie is great at the moment. Sure we will all need to decompress afterwards, but it is as likely to be the making of them as the breaking.

Just had a message from my daughter who is now self-isolating as a housemate has developed a cough & fever.
    The other housemate works for the NHS, and has been told to carry on going in to work, apparently. Will find out more tonight, but this sounds odd, to say the least.
    Yes, several Trusts are still sticking to Monday's advice rather than Tuesday's advice for the whole household to isolate. We need testing for staff, and more rapid results, or people will continue to drop like flies.

While mostly staff are rising to the challenge, there are a few who would be risking the brig or worse if we were in the trenches. I don't entirely blame them, the confused and sometimes contradictory information, the protocols that change daily and most of all the shortage of appropriate PPE are a bit stressful. This is a rapidly moving situation.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,089
    Mr. Chameleon, I just checked (it was 1.18 an hour or so ago) and it's 1.15 now. That's rather hefty.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 13,047

Chameleon said:

Well the press seem to be leaking like a sieve that this is happening.

I don't know if it is significant but the Boris press conference has been bumped back and back.
    IF and it's worth stressing, nothing has been confirmed, some people may ask why we didn't do this a week or even three or four days ago.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 63,849
    Foxy said:

Nigelb said:

Foxy said:

DavidL said:

Just had a message from my daughter who is now self-isolating as a housemate has developed a cough & fever.
    The other housemate works for the NHS, and has been told to carry on going in to work, apparently. Will find out more tonight, but this sounds odd, to say the least.
    Yes, several Trusts are still sticking to Monday's advice rather than Tuesday's advice for the whole household to isolate. We need testing for staff, and more rapid results, or people will continue to drop like flies.

While mostly staff are rising to the challenge, there are a few who would be risking the brig or worse if we were in the trenches. I don't entirely blame them, the confused and sometimes contradictory information, the protocols that change daily and most of all the shortage of appropriate PPE are a bit stressful. This is a rapidly moving situation.
    Makes sense. Will query further this evening.
    All the best, Foxy.
  • Options

https://twitter.com/BorisJohnson/status/1240307154671874050?s=20

Looks like "Whatever it Takes" is leading so far.

What is WITH the DAILY MAIL style HEADLINE CAPITALS.
    We're about to be briefed on the time cube
  • Options
    BurgessianBurgessian Posts: 2,471
    Apparently the SNP have confirmed that their won't be an IndyRef this year.

LOL. There was never the slightest chance that there would be one.

And in other news....
  • Options
    FossFoss Posts: 703

https://twitter.com/BorisJohnson/status/1240307154671874050?s=20

Looks like "Whatever it Takes" is leading so far.

What is WITH the DAILY MAIL style HEADLINE CAPITALS.
    We're about to be briefed on the time cube
    He's dead now. It's all rather sad.
  • Options
    Mr. Glenn, my gast remains unflabbered by this news.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

DavidL said:

33 more deaths in the UK.

How does that compare to the previous daily update?
    16 I think. It must mean the figure of 20 critical/serious cases, which appears to be static might be unreliable.
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    It is clearly everywhere in Westminster...they really need to shut the place down.

https://twitter.com/lloyd_rm/status/1240322984587517952?s=20
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    Labour MP Lloyd Russell-Moyle has tested positive for Covid-19,
  • Options
    TheValiantTheValiant Posts: 1,769
    After the GE of 2019, I stepped away from here for a good while.
    I'd have enough of politics for a good long time. But I've recently been back, mostly lurking, because you can't be PB for the best update in news, especially on Covid-19.

So news from the frontline in Merseyside, which is mostly limited to where I work, and my town of Crosby.

At work, we have one suspected Covid-19 infection. A fit and healthy lady who is 25 years old. She's developed a cough and been off since the weekend. She never gets coughs normally. She's then passed it to her boyfriend.

For myself, my wife has also developed a cough, and despite even the local doctor suggesting it is asthma related, she's been told to self-isolate. So have I, and my daughter was dumped out of school IMMEDIATELY we told them we needed a pack of school work for hometime.

So I'm sat at home, trying to work whilst my wife coughs and splutters everywhere and my daughter jumps on my head. My wife doesn't have the virus, but we're not allowed to take a chance. Found out my daughter is the fourth in her school to be thrown out (out of only 210 children).

Shops are being cleared as soon as they are filled. Can't get anything with any certainty unless its dog food or gluten free bread!

Local restaurants, cafes and pubs are open. Social distancing seems to be a dirty word and no one is paying any attention to it yet. We'll see how long this lasts though.

At work, because I'm an accountant, we're hearing bad things from clients. One has been asked if they redo the budgets to show zero income, could they survive? Another has delayed their accounts for several weeks. Without speaking to other clients, I suspect quite a few are struggling.

I know other relatives are self-isolating but this is because they are in a high risk group (either elderly or with underlying problems). No CERTAIN confirmed cases, though I'm sure my work colleague has it.

And that's it. Going to get a lot worse before it gets better I think.
  • Options
    eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,960

FPT

MaxPB said:

Andy_JS said:

Andy_JS said:
    11,302 / 27 now
    Assuming the figures are accurate, other governments may need to consider sending taskforces to Germany to find out why they're being so successful in combating the virus.
    Germany is testing a lot more people so they are catching a lot of the huge number of asymptomatic people. The UK and other countries are only testing those with symptoms so it shows a higher mortality rate.
    Where are you getting your German testing numbers from? - I struggled to find any.
    He's making it up, unless he's got an informant in the Robert Koch Institute.
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    Ocado just shut it's website down until the weekend.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,311
    What the XYZ did anyone outside expect?
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,253
    What did I just hear? No-deal Brexit preparations are turning out to be useful for the supermarkets implementing measures to deal with the current crisis.
  • Options
    BBC24 - discussing Coronavirus *DNA*. Repeatedly

FFS.
  • Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,221
    My guess is that the No 10 briefing is being delayed until the Commons statement begins - the House is concluding a debate on another subject.
  • Options
    Foss said:

Ocado just shut itself down until the weekend.

What the hell...they should be one of the companies doing bloody amazing business out of this. Morrison are hiring like crazy to meet the demand.
  • Options
    Wales has cancelled GCSEs and A Levels - expect England to follow.
  • Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,221
    Williamson in his feet.
  • Options
    I think somebody needs to tell the Telegraph that their live stream camera appear to be looking at a chandelier.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    So what are we going to get behind today's door of the advent calendar of shit?
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826

America is definitely not going to get any help from China.

Trump is China, China, China, China, China....

He's a race baiter. Its what he does and his voters will lap it up.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,170
    edited March 2020
    geoffw said:

What did I just hear? No-deal Brexit preparations are turning out to be useful for the supermarkets implementing measures to deal with the current crisis.

We can think of it as a trial run for a no-deal exit. ;)
  • Options
    Schools closing.
  • Options
    AndreaParma_82AndreaParma_82 Posts: 4,714
    edited March 2020
    National update in Italy

Deaths: +475 for a total of 2978
    Healed: +1084 for a total of 4025
    Current cases 28710 (2648 net increase compared to yesterday. So 4207 new cases)
    In ICU 2257 (197 net increase)

Meanwhile, the minister for Sport is threating to ban any outdoor individual activities if people continue to use going out for jogging as a way to meet people in the parks

The Pope: “I asked the Lord to stop the epidemic: Lord, stop it with your hand. That’s what I prayed for.”.
  • Options

I'd have enough of politics for a good long time. But I've recently been back, mostly lurking, because you can't be PB for the best update in news, especially on Covid-19.

So news from the frontline in Merseyside, which is mostly limited to where I work, and my town of Crosby.

At work, we have one suspected Covid-19 infection. A fit and healthy lady who is 25 years old. She's developed a cough and been off since the weekend. She never gets coughs normally. She's then passed it to her boyfriend.

For myself, my wife has also developed a cough, and despite even the local doctor suggesting it is asthma related, she's been told to self-isolate. So have I, and my daughter was dumped out of school IMMEDIATELY we told them we needed a pack of school work for hometime.

So I'm sat at home, trying to work whilst my wife coughs and splutters everywhere and my daughter jumps on my head. My wife doesn't have the virus, but we're not allowed to take a chance. Found out my daughter is the fourth in her school to be thrown out (out of only 210 children).

Shops are being cleared as soon as they are filled. Can't get anything with any certainty unless its dog food or gluten free bread!

Local restaurants, cafes and pubs are open. Social distancing seems to be a dirty word and no one is paying any attention to it yet. We'll see how long this lasts though.

At work, because I'm an accountant, we're hearing bad things from clients. One has been asked if they redo the budgets to show zero income, could they survive? Another has delayed their accounts for several weeks. Without speaking to other clients, I suspect quite a few are struggling.

I know other relatives are self-isolating but this is because they are in a high risk group (either elderly or with underlying problems). No CERTAIN confirmed cases, though I'm sure my work colleague has it.

My sympathies - I suspect that so many of us are going to be in a similar position very quickly.

As for Gluten Free bread don't count on it. We make GF Bread Mix (and a whole load of other stuff) for Morrisons and our mixes have been absolutely wiped out...
  • Options

Foss said:

What the hell...they should be one of the companies doing bloody amazing business out of this. Morrison are hiring like crazy to meet the demand.
    They've reached 100% capacity in terms of delivery slots for the near future. They are stopping people adding more and more to booked deliveries - when you book a delivery with them, you can change it up till the day before.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 63,849

Foss said:

Systems probably got overwhelmed by demand, and they're pausing to scale up ?
  • Options
    numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,759
    I am getting deep unease about this press conference delay.

That said, TMay always used to be late and we thought it was because something monumental was going to happen, and all we got was an extra plate of Nothing Has Changed most of the time.
  • Options

National update in Italy

Deaths: +475 for a total of 1084
    Current cases 28710 (2648 net increase compared to yesterday. So 4207 new cases)

Meanwhile, the minister for Sport is threating to ban any outdoor individual activities if people continue to use going out for jogging as a way to meet people in the parks

The Pope: “I asked the Lord to stop the epidemic: Lord, stop it with your hand. That’s what I prayed for.”.

The Lord should be reminded to wear a latex glove while doing so.
  • Options
    Staying open for key workers, makes sense.
  • Options
    Some schools staying open for critical workers and vulnerable children.
  • Options
    And 'vulnerable children' with social workers and health and care plans
  • Options

Schools closing.

Not completely
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,661
    Andy_JS said:

I hope the government continues to allow people to leave their residence for the purpose of exercise, even if the lockdown gets more stringent.

Surely that will be the case. House arrest will not be viable. Nor necessary.
  • Options

Schools closing.

Not completely
    Effectively for most children and parents.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,362
    edited March 2020
    Chameleon said:

But why is pound down so much vs dollar - it's not as if virus is worse here than in US.

Worth noting that fall in pound provides a fair amount of mitigation for fall in value of stock market for anyone holding a US (or other international) fund.

For anyone fearing a complete meltdown, it's possible to still sell out at a very good profit for anyone who bought US shares more than about 3 years ago.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,311
    edited March 2020
    Nigelb said:

Foxy said:

Nigelb said:

Foxy said:

DavidL said:

Makes sense. Will query further this evening.
    All the best, Foxy.
    I sometimes look back and wonder what I’d be doing if I was still working. Then I come to my senses and thank whatever that I’m not. I’d probably be supporting Care staff among other things

And yes, Foxy; ATB, and keep well.
  • Options
    EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,976

National update in Italy

Total deaths are much higher than that, no?
  • Options
    RobD said:

Which I would have thought means most schools.
  • Options
    Now Boris is up.
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483
    If I wa
    kinabalu said:

Andy_JS said:

I hope the government continues to allow people to leave their residence for the purpose of exercise, even if the lockdown gets more stringent.

Surely that will be the case. House arrest will not be viable. Nor necessary.
    ny outdoor exercise I need to walk to the supermarket
  • Options

Schools closing.

Thank christ
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 21,170
    Gavin Williamson pretty terrible in the commons, how did he get so far and then get a second chance? Is being an attention seeker sufficient to join this cabinet?
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    Seems like they are finally getting their 5 point "pledge" card message. Boris is still too much waffle.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

RobD said:

Good point - but with a skeleton staff, I assume.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,128
    My friend reports quiche sales are up 300% !
  • Options

Foss said:

They've reached 100% capacity in terms of delivery slots for the near future. They are stopping people adding more and more to booked deliveries - when you book a delivery with them, you can change it up till the day before.
    Morrisons are hiring home delivery people for 2 reasons: (1) massive demand, (2) their very small market share in home delivery previously. Instead of the high cost and slow build that their competitors had, they get to invest now and get very fast payback AND huge amounts of PR goodness. Great business plan!
  • Options
    eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,960

Nigelb said:

Supermarkets are sensibly starting to limit purchases of particular items. Hopefully this will stabilise things over the next few days.

Meanwhile, saw loo roll on the shelves of the local Chinese supermarket this afternoon...
    One suggestion I saw was to reverse the BOGOFF idea - if you want to buy multiple items in one go, the price increases suitably exponentially (or other mathematical function).

Why so that stupid rich Tim-Nice-But-Dims can deprive those who only want to buy what they need.

If British supermarkets can impose a two packets of ibruprofen per customer, they can do it for maximum 1 packet of toilet roll. Lidl in Berlin is.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Endillion said:

National update in Italy

Total deaths in Italy are 2978.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

RobD said:

Not necessarily. I received an email earlier today sent by our school to all parents asking who was a critical worker. Advising that they were working on a contingency plan for one school in the region to look after the children of critical care workers while other schools close.

Not sure if that's an organised thing or just a local initiative.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,128
    Sadiq should shut the tubes and bus down, can't think of a better breeding ground than that for the virus. Temporarily lift the congestion charge
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    RobD said:

Or great improvement in class sizes!
  • Options
    Exams cancelled too - did I hear that right?
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

RobD said:

Or great improvement in class sizes!
    Was that one of our manifesto commitments? We can check that one off if so.

:D
  • Options
    AndreaParma_82AndreaParma_82 Posts: 4,714
    Endillion said:

National update in Italy

yes, sorry. I put the healed figures twice. Total deaths is 2978
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    eristdoof said:

Nigelb said:

Why so that stupid rich Tim-Nice-But-Dims can deprive those who only want to buy what they need.

If British supermarkets can impose a two packets of ibruprofen per customer, they can do it for maximum 1 packet of toilet roll. Lidl in Berlin is.
    Morrison's is. And they're enforcing it via the till.
  • Options

Not necessarily. I received an email earlier today sent by our school to all parents asking who was a critical worker. Advising that they were working on a contingency plan for one school in the region to look after the children of critical care workers while other schools close.

Ah OK. Hadn't thought of that.

What about fees for privates, I wonder?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Sadiq should shut the tubes and bus down, can't think of a better breeding ground than that for the virus. Temporarily lift the congestion charge

Alot of key workers in London don't have a car
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,686
    Sterling absolutely tanking. Our current account deficit is finally coming home to roost. This will get very messy.
  • Options
    No exams. Blimey.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,706

Exams cancelled too - did I hear that right?

Yes
  • Options
    Exams, SATS, Ofsted and League Tables all suspended. Astonishing.
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388
    Pulpstar said:

Some people can't drive
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 32,477
    MaxPB said:

Sterling absolutely tanking. Our current account deficit is finally coming home to roost. This will get very messy.

If -4% is tanking, what is the DJ doing - now at 19,411?
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Most privates are moving to distance teaching.
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900
    alex_ said:

Generally smaller stores seem to have had more availability

Yep - just went into a small Tesco, was fairly well stocked. Few missing items, no toilet rolls (but then it doesn't have much shelf space for them at the best of times). Apparently they're closing early to restock, 10pm rather than midnight.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,999
    No GCSEs. Fuck.
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483

My sympathies - I suspect that so many of us are going to be in a similar position very quickly.

As for Gluten Free bread don't count on it. We make GF Bread Mix (and a whole load of other stuff) for Morrisons and our mixes have been absolutely wiped out...
    Keep the fact based local reports coming no politics just what’s happening where you are
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,756

MaxPB said:

If -4% is tanking, what is the DJ doing - now at 19,411?
    That's massive for a single-day currency movement.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

No GCSEs. Fuck.

Well, they'll be done eventually.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 32,477
    BBC: Italy deaths surge by 19% in a day

The death toll from the virus in Italy has surged by 475 over the past 24 hours, officials say.

It brings the total number of deaths in the country to 2,978, an increase of 19%.

The total number of confirmed cases in Italy, the European country hardest hit by the virus, rose to 35,713 from 31,506,
  • Options
    RobD said:

Jonathan said:

No GCSEs. Fuck.

That’s zero comfort to kids working for them.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,824
    Italy will overtake China in the number of dead tomorrow.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

RobD said:

Jonathan said:

No GCSEs. Fuck.

They are hardly going to be left with no qualifications, are they?
  • Options
    Mr. Malmesbury, it's been a while since I took biology at school, but do viruses have RNA?
  • Options
    Fysics_TeacherFysics_Teacher Posts: 6,060

kinabalu said:

Most privates are moving to distance teaching.
    As is the state school I teach at.
  • Options
    nichomar said:

Keep the fact based local reports coming no politics just what’s happening where you are
    I couldn't care less about party politics right now. It simply doesn't matter
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

Endillion said:

National update in Italy

yes, sorry. I put the healed figures twice. Total deaths is 2978
    Total road deaths in Italy in year 2017 (most recent figure I can find) 3378.

So nearly there, in 4 weeks. "Sense of perspective" theorists please note.
  • Options

BBC: Italy deaths surge by 19% in a day

The death toll from the virus in Italy has surged by 475 over the past 24 hours, officials say.

It brings the total number of deaths in the country to 2,978, an increase of 19%.

The total number of confirmed cases in Italy, the European country hardest hit by the virus, rose to 35,713 from 31,506,

Very sobering
  • Options
    RobD said:

Jonathan said:

RobD said:

Jonathan said:

No GCSEs. Fuck.

Come off it. It’s a big deal.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

RobD said:

Jonathan said:

RobD said:

Jonathan said:

No GCSEs. Fuck.

I'm not saying it isn't!
  • Options
    twistedfirestopper3twistedfirestopper3 Posts: 2,139
    edited March 2020
    Beth Rigby says "London isn't listening!"
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 56,651

Schools closing.

Thank christ
    Speak for yourself.

I’m screwed.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 27,884
    According to Sky News's Beth Rigby, in London the bars, buses and tube are "full". Not sure how accurate that is.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Jonathan said:

RobD said:

Jonathan said:

RobD said:

Jonathan said:

No GCSEs. Fuck.

I'm not saying it isn't!
    Well you seem dismissive.
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,058

Pulpstar said:

Some people can't drive
    I think you are missing the point somewhat
  • Options
    Love him or hate him would anyone want to be Boris right now
This discussion has been closed.