Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Biden way ahead in tonight’s four big primaries

Comments

• Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,989

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

Where’s this warmer, drier weather we were promised?

It is still winter until Friday
    Not this again.
    As though the weather pays any heed to your arbitrary definition.
    It largely does, it will certainly be warmer on Friday than January
    It will be warmer on June 19th than Friday. June 19th is still in Springtime.......
    And on average late March to late June will be warmer than late December to late March
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,271
    isam said:

When this is over, will we see

A rise in the price of an airline ticket
    Fewer ‘non jobs’ - Corporate entertainment, PR etc
    A pay rise for nurses, doctors, carers and the like?

I predict we may see sightings of animals we thought almost extinct, or ones who stopped going to certain areas re emerging, plants and flowers growing there if the airlines stop for long enough. That might be enough to see a seismic change to people’s attitude to the environment

I’m with you - this unprecedented crisis must change the world for the better!

Having lived through 2008 and its aftermath, I am not yet convinced.

Further, many of the most terrible events in humanity’s history have stemmed from crises like this. Way too early to be optimistic about the future. Things returning to nearly how they were before might well be one of the better outcomes.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

Floater said:

Judging by how the site’s Leavers find themselves incapable of saying that the insistence on the deadline of 31 December is a grotesque and wicked priority in the current circumstances, I am sceptical.
    "grotesque" "wicked"

Somethings never change.....
    Brexit derangement syndrome doesn't apparently
    You really are well-named. The unflushable turd.
    Wibble wibble on loon

• Options
    BigRichBigRich Posts: 3,489

HYUFD said:
    Well that's very positive. Our posties are brilliant tbf!
    Fairly sure this is just a step in a PR complain to eventually have the royal mail Re-nationalized.

• Options
    CatManCatMan Posts: 2,768
    This is the worst thing to happen because of the Coronavirus:

"Coronavirus: Norwich Alan Partridge festival rescheduled"
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-norfolk-51928231
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,604
    Has the stockpiling ended? Has it feck. No bog roll in the Coop and no corned beef either - I had to buy Spam.

I even looked in at Aldi and no bog roll there either.

Anyway, have bidet, will jetwash.

Oh, and it is a week since I visited London, so it looks like I got out intact.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,923
    edited March 2020
    Pulpstar said:

FF43 said:

eadric said:

Iran is so screwed.

Hundreds of thousands could die there. Coronavirus is entirely unchecked, by the looks of it.

https://twitter.com/lindseyhilsum/status/1238514679997255688

Some younger doctors "seem" to be dieing at a higher rate than people allowed to rest up. Looks like a virus that can pick you off if you try and 'push through things'.
    The corollary is that the virus HAS to be severely controlled otherwise the strain it puts on your health service starts killing off medical staff that would otherwise not die of the virus.
    That definitely comes into the "undesirable" category.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,191
    eadric said:

Pulpstar said:

rcs1000 said:

eadric said:

HYUFD said:

BBC news shows French police now questioning people out on the streets without an allowable reason

That's us in about ten days.

Look at this in Iran. Darwinism in action

https://twitter.com/farnazfassihi/status/1239673228177682439?s=20
    No. The impact of a bunch of religious fanatics who think the virus is probably God's way of calling the faithful to him.

I don't think we're going to see organised mobs storming supermarkets.

Just as we haven't seen organised mobs storming supermarkets in Italy. (Although France, I realise, is different.)
    I don't think this is us in ten days or ever. Perhaps there was some loo roll behind the shine though.
    I was saying we will be like France in ten days - lockdowns and social distance will be legally enforced, if we don't comply now.

Britons can get excitable after a few beers, but I don't see mobs of us breaking into the shrine of Thomas Beckett.
    Becuase you’re not old enough. A crazed mob broke in and destroyed it in 1538.
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited March 2020
    IanB2 said:

isam said:

I predict we may see sightings of animals we thought almost extinct, or ones who stopped going to certain areas re emerging, plants and flowers growing there if the airlines stop for long enough. That might be enough to see a seismic change to people’s attitude to the environment

Further, many of the most terrible events in humanity’s history have stemmed from crises like this. Way too early to be optimistic about the future. Things returning to nearly how they were before might well be one of the better outcomes.
    Hopefully this will be more like the New Deal or Marshall Plan, but unfortunately the New Deal or Marshall Plan didn't stop World War II or the Cold War.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

Where’s this warmer, drier weather we were promised?

It is still winter until Friday
    You just can't let it go, can you?
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,962
    CatMan said:

This is the worst thing to happen because of the Coronavirus:

"Coronavirus: Norwich Alan Partridge festival rescheduled"
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-norfolk-51928231

Don't worry, he'll bounce back.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,189
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    I’d give him a pass on this. Speed was of the essence and it needed to be fully presented directly to the public.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,332

HYUFD said:
    This shift from the 2008 model, and by the extension the exhausted 1980s model, is going to be a silver lining, socially and for governments' democratic legitimacy, for the world.
    Yes. I wonder whether, if Labour had won the election and was doing exactly the same, we would be seeing the Conservative opposition broadly supportive, or would they be muttering about McDonnell creating rampant inflation and building up impossible debts?
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483
    HYUFD said:

nichomar said:

HYUFD said:

nichomar said:

HYUFD said:
    What is Easter court? Does self isolate mean she has to wipe her own arse?
    She already does, though maybe not Prince Charles.

Easter court is when the court moves to Windsor for Easter
    What is the court? And are you implying that the queen still wipes Her sons arse?
    If you don't know what the court is, wouldn't worry, you are clearly still a peasant so it will not affect you anyway
    I doubt it will affect 99.9999% of people but how can you Self isolate if you are still surrounded by lots of other people. Not bad today I’ve been called stupid and a peasant looking forward to more insults. She could actually say a few words to the nation and the commonwealth.
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,913
    Alistair said:

kinabalu said:

Brown did exactly the right thing in 2008 and undoubtedly played a central role in saving the global economy. If people want to quibble around that, so be it. It happened. It was good. And we are able to face today's crisis with some hope of getting through it as a result. The government today has also shown that it understands the scale of the challenge. We need to see more detail, obviously, but the direction of travel is the right one. That is to be welcomed unequivocally. The transition will clearly have to be extended. But that does not have to happen today. There is a little bit of time to find the right form of words. What we have to hope is that post-crisis, all those who have lived through the politics and economics of it will be a little more grown-up than they were previously. That way we will get to a place and a final Brexit deal that works for everyone. One thing we are not going to have to worry about for a long while, after all, is immigration.

Agree with every word of this (from PT). But Labour should not be any fairer to this Tory government than the Tories were to them over the Global Financial Crisis. They cynically branded the state of the POST Crash public finances "Labour's Mess" and repeated this lie ad nauseam. It has had a toxic infantalising effect on our politics and they, the authors of the lie, have benefited wrongly from it.

So let's return the favour with this one. Let's start right now -

Johnson's Mess. Johnson's Mess. Johnson's fucking godawful Mess.
    Labour blew the deficit open BEFORE the crash .

What have the Tories done wrong? Were they supposed to cut spending more?
    The Tories were going to maintain Labour's spending levels.
    AFAIR they were also advocating even lighter financial regulation than Brown. The Tories definitely made no attempt to pull together during the financial crisis and sought to exploit it for political advantage afterwards. What goes around comes around.
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172

Has the stockpiling ended? Has it feck. No bog roll in the Coop and no corned beef either - I had to buy Spam.

I have found some for you

https://tinyurl.com/tedavl8
  • Options

HYUFD said:
    This shift from the 2008 model, and by the extension the exhausted 1980s model, is going to be a silver lining, socially and for governments' democratic legitimacy, for the world.
    Yes. I wonder whether, if Labour had won the election and was doing exactly the same, we would be seeing the Conservative opposition broadly supportive, or would they be muttering about McDonnell creating rampant inflation and building up impossible debts?
    Why either/or? I think they would do what Labour are doing - public support and venomous off the record briefings about how everything is wrong because it’s Not Them Doing It.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:
    Perhaps he sees a trend emerging and doesn’t like it?
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,189
    Are we at the end of the beginning yet?
  • Options

I have found some for you

https://tinyurl.com/tedavl8
    New, or used?
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,114
    nichomar said:

I doubt it will affect 99.9999% of people but how can you Self isolate if you are still surrounded by lots of other people.

It's worse than I ever thought. I have to be locked in with Will Self?
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Are we at the end of the beginning yet?

I seriously doubt it but one can hope.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,960
    RobD said:

Andy_JS said:

If Italy had the same mortality rate as Germany, it would have 84 deaths instead of 2,503.

Perhaps there are many many more cases in Italy that haven't been detected.
    Spot on.

The most likely reason for the difference is that Germany has caught asymptomatic cases, while Italy has not. And give how overloaded Italy's health system is, it's unlikely we will ever know how many people got it there, unless we do after the fact testing for immune responses.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,373

I’d give him a pass on this. Speed was of the essence and it needed to be fully presented directly to the public.
    In a way it's sad that announcements are no longer made to the Commons - apart from the budget. But that ship has long sailed.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:
    Please, Please No! don't do it.

In the same way that the stimulate package/bank bailouts extended and made worse the 2008 economic downturn, and the 'New Deal' extended and made worse the grate depredation. this will do the same, totally unnecessarily.

This is just terrible :(
  • Options
    My instinct is that the Dow may have another test of 20000, so I am taking a small sell position.
  • Options
    eggegg Posts: 1,749
    BigRich said:

HYUFD said:

In the same way that the stimulate package/bank bailouts extended and made worse the 2008 economic downturn, and the 'New Deal' extended and made worse the grate depredation. this will do the same, totally unnecessarily.

Really?
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,205
    ydoethur said:

rcs1000 said:

ydoethur said:

Ben, it’s never a politician’s fault. Read his memoirs and you will find Lloyd George never made a mistake in his life. Henry Kissinger told of his ‘first mistake on page 850.’

Brown bore a heavy burden of blame for the ramshackle state of Britain’s financial system in 2008, although oddly, less than Darling who came out of the crisis with his reputation enhanced.

Similarly, the state of public health after 10 years of Tory government can lie only with the Tories, admitting they inherited a pretty desperate financial situation.

Equally, Brown was not responsible for the subprime crisis or Johnson and May for this virus.

But we shouldn’t muddle up structural causes and triggers.

Have you read Robert McNamara's In Retrospect about the US getting into the Vietnam War?

It begins:

We of the Kennedy and Johnson adminstrations who participated in the decisions on Vietnam... were wrong, terribly wrong. We owe it to future generations to explain why.

Possible the least self serving political biography I've ever read.
    McNamara of course also had the balls to resign over it.
    Eventually.
  • Options
    eadric said:

Floater said:

eadric said:

Channel 4 News pretty blunt. Enforced social distancing is coming. Soon. Maybe a week?

Weekend
    Is that a hunch or informed speculation?
    I mean they've already said in yesterday's press conference that the isolation advice for over 70s would be by the end of the week.
  • Options

nichomar said:

I doubt it will affect 99.9999% of people but how can you Self isolate if you are still surrounded by lots of other people.

I share the same birthday but he is eight years younger than me but I might have the wrong will see, it could bevworse it could be willIam
  • Options
    BigRich said:

HYUFD said:

This is nothing to do with 2008. The 2008 approach to politics and economics is dead.
  • Options
    eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,891
    Andy_JS said:

If Italy had the same mortality rate as Germany, it would have 84 deaths instead of 2,503.

Another way of putting it
    Today Germany has 9352 cases of whom 24 have died.
    On 10th March Italy had 9220 cases of whom 463 died.

Caveat: These are of course the reported numbers not the true numbers in the whole population.
  • Options
    Floater said:

Judging by how the site’s Leavers find themselves incapable of saying that the insistence on the deadline of 31 December is a grotesque and wicked priority in the current circumstances, I am sceptical.
    "grotesque" "wicked"

No matter what language is used, real brexit ain’t happening now. The soft landing money has been spent oncoronawar
  • Options
    ukpaulukpaul Posts: 649
    Stocky said:
    Mine is also partly a boarding school, the overseas students in particular are desperately trying go get back home (where it’s safe). Absences are doubling day by day from day students as well. You can’t teach half in and half out, the lack of decision making in government has made the situation chaotic and intolerable.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

rcs1000 said:

ydoethur said:

Ben, it’s never a politician’s fault. Read his memoirs and you will find Lloyd George never made a mistake in his life. Henry Kissinger told of his ‘first mistake on page 850.’

Brown bore a heavy burden of blame for the ramshackle state of Britain’s financial system in 2008, although oddly, less than Darling who came out of the crisis with his reputation enhanced.

Similarly, the state of public health after 10 years of Tory government can lie only with the Tories, admitting they inherited a pretty desperate financial situation.

Equally, Brown was not responsible for the subprime crisis or Johnson and May for this virus.

But we shouldn’t muddle up structural causes and triggers.

Have you read Robert McNamara's In Retrospect about the US getting into the Vietnam War?

It begins:

We of the Kennedy and Johnson adminstrations who participated in the decisions on Vietnam... were wrong, terribly wrong. We owe it to future generations to explain why.

Possible the least self serving political biography I've ever read.
    McNamara of course also had the balls to resign over it.
    Brown had expanded spending on the "operation" of government to greatly exceed the windfall from the banks. Claiming that all government spending was "investment: When that disappeared...

He (and Ed Balls) also accused those who questioned the derivatives bubble as "talking the market down"
  • Options
    ukpaul said:

Stocky said:
    Mine is also partly a boarding school, the overseas students in particular are desperately trying go get back home (where it’s safe). Absences are doubling day by day from day students as well. You can’t teach half in and half out, the lack of decision making in government has made the situation chaotic and intolerable.
    Yeah, it's practically a death sentence for them to stay here.
  • Options

My co-op has bog roll, what’s wrong with yours?

Let’s hope Joe Bidet gets elected President, then there will be bidets for all
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

FF43 said:

eadric said:

Iran is so screwed.

Hundreds of thousands could die there. Coronavirus is entirely unchecked, by the looks of it.

Some younger doctors "seem" to be dieing at a higher rate than people allowed to rest up. Looks like a virus that can pick you off if you try and 'push through things'.
    The corollary is that the virus HAS to be severely controlled otherwise the strain it puts on your health service starts killing off medical staff that would otherwise not die of the virus.
    I am starting to wonder about virus loads - given the way that the Italians socialise, largish groups that meet up and go out together, repeatedly.. could it be that the bad cases are repeated, heavy, re-infection?
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,562
    That’s his political career finished, then.

Has @ydoethur taught them nothing ??
  • Options

Floater said:

"grotesque" "wicked"

You really are well-named. The unflushable turd.
    😗 let’s hope that doesn’t stick
  • Options
    nichomar said:

nichomar said:

I share the same birthday but he is eight years younger than me but I might have the wrong will see, it could bevworse it could be willIam
    He may be technically younger, but I suspect his internal organs are in worse condition than yours.
  • Options

Agreed.
    The Speaker is quibbling.
  • Options
    Time_to_LeaveTime_to_Leave Posts: 2,547
    Honestly McDonnell is a twat of the highest order. Follow the LibDem and SNP lead and oppose responsibly for God’s sake.
  • Options

BigRich said:

HYUFD said:

This is nothing to do with 2008. The 2008 approach to politics and economics is dead.
    The 2008 approach was to throw money at the economy to boost consumption, in the UK the US Japan and much of the rest of the wold, and we are still in deficits.

A few places like Germany, where more hesitant and have recovered much better but they are the exceptions.

• Options

IanB2 said:

isam said:

Hopefully this will be more like the New Deal or Marshall Plan, but unfortunately the New Deal or Marshall Plan didn't stop World War II or the Cold War.
    Or is that the Martial Plan ... ?
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

FF43 said:

eadric said:

Iran is so screwed.

I am starting to wonder about virus loads - given the way that the Italians socialise, largish groups that meet up and go out together, repeatedly.. could it be that the bad cases are repeated, heavy, re-infection?
    There's no evidence of re-infection.
  • Options
  • Options
    eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,891
    rcs1000 said:

RobD said:

Andy_JS said:

Perhaps there are many many more cases in Italy that haven't been detected.
    Spot on.

The most likely reason for the difference is that Germany has caught asymptomatic cases, while Italy has not. And give how overloaded Italy's health system is, it's unlikely we will ever know how many people got it there, unless we do after the fact testing for immune responses.
    This could be true, but I don't see either a reason nor any evidence to suggest that Germany are testing many, many more people without symptoms.
  • Options
    This whole event, we are told, is a swan...
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

IanB2 said:

isam said:

What's that? Is it related to the famous Marital Plan?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

eadric said:

Pulpstar said:

rcs1000 said:

eadric said:

HYUFD said:

BBC news shows French police now questioning people out on the streets without an allowable reason

No. The impact of a bunch of religious fanatics who think the virus is probably God's way of calling the faithful to him.

Just as we haven't seen organised mobs storming supermarkets in Italy. (Although France, I realise, is different.)
    I don't think this is us in ten days or ever. Perhaps there was some loo roll behind the shine though.
    I was saying we will be like France in ten days - lockdowns and social distance will be legally enforced, if we don't comply now.

Britons can get excitable after a few beers, but I don't see mobs of us breaking into the shrine of Thomas Beckett.
    A reactionary conservative.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

nichomar said:

nichomar said:

He may be technically younger, but I suspect his internal organs are in worse condition than yours.
    I have my doubts about that
  • Options
    RobD said:

Nigelb said:

IanB2 said:

isam said:

You’d have to ask Little Marco.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Nigelb said:

IanB2 said:

isam said:

Is that the one when the Yanks came and screwed us all?
  • Options
    RobD said:

Nigelb said:

IanB2 said:

isam said:

Wot created the BABY boom
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    eadric said:
    Most of this is nonsense - the reason the canals in Venice are not transparent is silt in the water. Not pollution. No Gondoliers punting about - no silt stirred up

Any pollution is probably still there.

It is a bit like the steam from power station cooling towers - the number of environmentalists who think that this is some toxic chemical is quite remarkable.
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited March 2020
    BigRich said:

BigRich said:

HYUFD said:

The 2008 approach was to throw money at the economy to boost consumption, in the UK the US Japan and much of the rest of the wold, and we are still in deficits.

A few places like Germany, where more hesitant and have recovered much better but they are the exceptions.

It wasn't. It was to throw money at financial institutions, first as structural firefighting, and then as vastly democratically damaging boons to them in the form of QE that did very little for the real economy, all because the post-1980's consensus precluded demand-led measures. Now governments are throwing money directly into the hands of businesses and consumers.
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    RobD said:

ukpaul said:

Stocky said:
    They can see their own countries (China, Singapore, Hong Kong in most cases) doing much more to stop the virus. Of course they will be safer there. Yes, there are some from the Middle East and so on and they’ve got a choice to make.
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,718
    ukpaul said:

Stocky said:
    Those parents will stay have to pay the fees - yes? Otherwise, private schools are going to hit financial problems very soon.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,584
    isam said:
    It's estimated that 4.6 million people die each year from causes directly related to pollution.
  • Options
    BannedinnParisBannedinnParis Posts: 1,884

eadric said:
    Most of this is nonsense - the reason the canals in Venice are not transparent is silt in the water. Not pollution. No Gondoliers punting about - no silt stirred up

Any pollution is probably still there.

It is a bit like the steam from power station cooling towers - the number of environmentalists who think that this is some toxic chemical is quite remarkable.
    That chemical has probably killed more people on any given day than any other.
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,347
    isam said:
    Hiw likely is thT to be true... seems like too quick for it to happen.. ergo its bollocks?
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

eadric said:

Pulpstar said:

rcs1000 said:

eadric said:

HYUFD said:

It was led by a fat, greedy, middle aged bloke with Celtic ancestry and an unhealthy obsession with trying to knock up girls in their mid teens, who believed himself to be an artist of genius and predicted every possible outcome so he could claim afterwards that he was right.

Thank goodness we have nobody who matches that description on this board...
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,187
    edited March 2020

Not your finest hour.....

On the contrary! I am making a valid and important point about the politics of this. It's one of the best points I've ever made and it's timely. It simply has to be made in response to the "let's all get behind Boris" guff.

Like this -

Run up to the Global Financial Crisis. Tories ostensibly relaxed about the public finances. Not arguing for less spending or higher taxes. The opposite in fact on taxes. Neither arguing for tighter regulation of the City. Again, the opposite if anything.

Crisis hits (!) and emergency measures needed. Tories back the measures. Measures inevitably cause the debt and deficit - which, in case we have forgotten already, the Tories were in any event cool about - to balloon.

Said Tories then (at GE2010 and ever since) brand the grave state of the public finances post Crash as "Labour's Mess".

And it worked. People are not bright and they buy this sort of crap.

So, OK, goose, gander. Perhaps they will buy some crap the other way. Let's see, ah yes, got one. Tories wrecked the NHS with needless austerity so that now, just when we need it, it can't cope and we have to screw the economy and public finances in order to prop it up in a mad panic. That sounds eminently sellable, Mark, doesn't it? I think it does. And this is what Labour must and will do. Not now (obvs) but in due course. Brand this as a right royal Tory Mess. It would be rude not to.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

isam said:
    It's estimated that 4.6 million people die each year from causes directly related to pollution.
    Well ... it was people that caused it. What of the damage to non-human animals?
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

FF43 said:

eadric said:

Iran is so screwed.

There's no evidence of re-infection.
    The real question there is what happens in a couple of years’ time.
    Immunity to other coronavirus fades over time (not all at the same rate).
  • Options
    Stocky said:

ukpaul said:

Stocky said:
    Those parents will stay have to pay the fees - yes? Otherwise, private schools are going to hit financial problems very soon.
    If they are moving to remote learning, presumably yes.
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    On March 14, French airline Air Tahiti Nui flew the longest ever scheduled passenger flight by distance -- transiting 9,765 miles across the world from Papeete, in Tahiti, French Polynesia, to Paris's Charles de Gaulle airport. This one off milestone was a direct consequence of the coronavirus-induced US travel restrictions.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,850
    Evening All :)

Some sense at least from Sunak and the Government.

The IR35 changes have been postponed for 12 months so even if the economy contracts it's good news for the contractors in the economy.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Stocky said:

ukpaul said:

Stocky said:
    No - I think they are contractually liable anyway. Most private schools insist on at least a term`s notice before withdrawing children.
  • Options
    Nice to see our elected representatives showing the nation how social distancing works.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,114
    ukpaul said:

RobD said:

ukpaul said:

Stocky said:
    They can see their own countries (China, Singapore, Hong Kong in most cases) doing much more to stop the virus. Of course they will be safer there. Yes, there are some from the Middle East and so on and they’ve got a choice to make.
    And they will all want to come back here when the second wave fires up over Asia.

Not happening.
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    Stocky said:

ydoethur said:

Stocky said:

ukpaul said:

Stocky said:
    No - I think they are contractually liable anyway. Most private schools insist on at least a term`s notice before withdrawing children.
    Most private schools in my understanding, however, undertake to provide a certain number of days’ teaching.
  • Options
    JIMathsJIMaths Posts: 7
    ukpaul said:

Stocky said:
    (finally a good time for my first post - apologies if I do something stupid with it)

I also teach at a boarding school. They were due to break up for Easter at the end of the week, but a large proportion of the foreign boarding students either left at the weekend, or were making plans to leave over the next two days. The school have decided to shut from tomorrow afternoon. We have contingency plans in place for the students who are either not able to go home early, or indeed are not currently able to travel due to any flight restrictions that might be put in place.

It's been quite a strange atmosphere over the last couple of days - lots of people making nervous jokes about anyone who coughs in a classroom, and lots of students worried about relatives in other countries. I'm sure the same atmosphere is being reflected in classrooms throughout the UK, and indeed I wouldn't be surprised if a large number of schools decide to effectively close for Easter early at the end of the week. If they don't, I imagine a lot of students just won't be going into school for the rest of term.
  • Options
    Stocky said:

ukpaul said:

Stocky said:
    Well, they could remove them from the school totally but as most are in exam classes, hopefully not. A massive blow if they do. I haven’t worked out if the Sunak spree will be of much help or not.
  • Options
    stodge said:

The IR35 changes have been postponed for 12 months so even if the economy contracts it's good news for the contractors in the economy.

Sorry - that was a rumour Mrs Stodge heard from another contractor. Not confirmed I'm afraid.
  • Options
    stodge said:

stodge said:

Sorry - that was a rumour Mrs Stodge heard from another contractor. Not confirmed I'm afraid.
    Fake news?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

eadric said:

Pulpstar said:

rcs1000 said:

eadric said:

HYUFD said:

It was led by a fat, greedy, middle aged bloke with Celtic ancestry and an unhealthy obsession with trying to knock up girls in their mid teens, who believed himself to be an artist of genius and predicted every possible outcome so he could claim afterwards that he was right.

Thank goodness we have nobody who matches that description on this board...
    There is that. (And, of course, I could not possibly comment.)
    I was thinking of Beckett, though.
  • Options
    JIMaths said:

ukpaul said:

Stocky said:
    (finally a good time for my first post - apologies if I do something stupid with it)

I also teach at a boarding school. They were due to break up for Easter at the end of the week, but a large proportion of the foreign boarding students either left at the weekend, or were making plans to leave over the next two days. The school have decided to shut from tomorrow afternoon. We have contingency plans in place for the students who are either not able to go home early, or indeed are not currently able to travel due to any flight restrictions that might be put in place.

It's been quite a strange atmosphere over the last couple of days - lots of people making nervous jokes about anyone who coughs in a classroom, and lots of students worried about relatives in other countries. I'm sure the same atmosphere is being reflected in classrooms throughout the UK, and indeed I wouldn't be surprised if a large number of schools decide to effectively close for Easter early at the end of the week. If they don't, I imagine a lot of students just won't be going into school for the rest of term.
    Welcome to you!
  • Options
    stodge said:

stodge said:

No, I was right first time - confirmed by Steve Barclay in the Commons.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,921

isam said:
    Hiw likely is thT to be true... seems like too quick for it to happen.. ergo its bollocks?
    Maybe, I hope it’s true. Could be twitter fake news
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Stocky said:

ukpaul said:

Stocky said:
    Our remote learning is all setup and ready to go now. Are you on the same sort of timeline?
  • Options
    maaarshmaaarsh Posts: 3,391
    stodge said:

stodge said:

Lots of MPs saying it on twitter
  • Options
    Dow up 1000
  • Options

ukpaul said:

RobD said:

ukpaul said:

Stocky said:
    And they will all want to come back here when the second wave fires up over Asia.

Not happening.
    If they time it right, they can probably hop back and forth and miss wherever is worst off at any one time.
  • Options
    Good evening, PB.

Not sure what to make of the financial bail-out yet. I don't know enough to understand whether offering (cheap?) debt will be enough to encourage businesses to stay open. Interested to see what the income protection measures may be.

I do wish the behaviour messaging -- which category of people should take which type of social-distancing action -- was clearer. I wasn't impressed with the repeated lack of clarity today. It seemed a much less polished presentation than last Thursday, regrettably.

(Journalists really should limit themselves to one question at such events. By asking three each, it gives the politicians the chance to dodge the ones they don't like.)

To those in the know: any ideas on the timescale for developing a serological test? Seems the wide variation in estimates of asymptomatic infection (as discussed earlier) need to be resolved asap.

--AS
  • Options
    ukpaul said:

ydoethur said:

Stocky said:

ukpaul said:

Stocky said:
    Our remote learning is all setup and ready to go now. Are you on the same sort of timeline?
    Not really, tbh. It is not looking ready to go. Most of it would I think be emailing out resources at selected moments.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:
    For those essential trips to the petrol station, of course.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,921
    edited March 2020
    eadric said:

isam said:

isam said:
    It's half true. The dolphin was acrually in the harbour of Cagliari. Sardinia (but it was the first sighting for 60 years)

The stuff about Venetian canals cleaning is def true (tho I think the swans are regulars in Burano)

https://twitter.com/julian0liver/status/1239957335482695683?s=20

There are also wild boars in towns and deer in streets. Amazing.
    Nature is like a person forced to smoke 20 cigarettes a day that has been allowed to give up 😊

I regard a lot of the modern world as utter madness, the amount of air travel at the top of the list. I hope the cost of a flight soars when this is over

Maybe we will even see nurses, doctors, surgeons etc paid salaries more like pro footballers than Corporate PRs too
  • Options
    BannedinnParisBannedinnParis Posts: 1,884
    I think anyone seeking to analyse this on a day by day basis is going to end up driving themselves bonkers and also highly likely miss any big picture.

See, well, any recent long term political argument within the UK.
  • Options
    eadric said:

isam said:

isam said:
    It's half true. The dolphin was acrually in the harbour of Cagliari. Sardinia (but it was the first sighting for 60 years)

The stuff about Venetian canals cleaning is def true (tho I think the swans are regulars in Burano)

https://twitter.com/julian0liver/status/1239957335482695683?s=20

There are also wild boars in towns and deer in streets. Amazing.
    There are always lots of wild boars in Bristol on a night out.

And plenty of pigs.

Not many sus scrofa to be seen though.
This discussion has been closed.