Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Biden way ahead in tonight’s four big primaries

Comments

• Options
    BigRichBigRich Posts: 3,489

BigRich said:

Last week in my church the, the dioceses had invoked the 1542 Sacrament act, so that communion was given in just one kind (bread) and not wine so there was no need to use a shared chalices.

It felt quite reassuring so how to know that this had been foreseen almost half a millennium ago.
    I dunno how many Catholics or Anglo-Catholics are In Da House tonight, but something I've wondered without knowing a lot about religious matters.

What's the big objection to using individual Communion cups like the Baptists, Methodists, Reformed churches etc? This kind of kit always struck me as more hygienic - always found it a bit icky when watching Catholic/Anglican services with a shared cup, but I guess it depends what you grow up with as "normal".

https://www.jmchurchsupplies.co.uk/product-category/communion-cups/

https://www.jmchurchsupplies.co.uk/product-category/trays/
    I think is about the idea of 'communion' being 'communal', and therfore the sharing of a cup is part of that.

but I suspect its also about maintaining a tradition because its 'normal' to each geration.

Arguably as nobody shares a cup in normal life nowadays, (even when going to the pub in a virus Pandemic) its no longer holds the same symbolic value, which why newer denominations have not felt the ergeg to emulate that practice.
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    RobD said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

The government has specifically said DO NOT GO TO PUBS

Why do you think Belgium, Spain, France, Italy, Austria, and many other countries have CLOSED all bars, restaurants, cafes, etc?

Is it for a laugh? Are they self harming their economies because they are over-reacting?

Coronavirus can go two ways. You lock it down and you get near to South Korea. You don't, and you become Iran. If people won't voluntarily isolate, the government has to step in, and lock us all up. Great.

The old world has gone and won't be back till there is a vaccine, two years away at least.

When you were young, you went to pubs, you drank and took drugs, you fell in love, you played in bands, you went to parties, you did wild and irresponsible things, no ?

Why should young people lose a year or two years out of their glorious youth in lockdown? They are not going to get seriously ill, anyhow.

Who are you -- an elderly Malvolio -- to say there shall be no more cakes and ale?
    Justin is 65
    I am talking about the young.

As there is no end to this without a vaccine, why should young people lose precious, glorious years of their lives stuck inside the house with Grandpa Eadric and his antiseptic gels.
    Because when they go back to their house with Grandpa Eadric they'd probably kill him.
    It is a serious question. The world is already skewed in terms of wealth, property, assets in favour of the old.

And now a nineteen year is being expected not to go out.

Maybe that is just about fine for a couple of weeks, but for two years, or more?

What has Grandpa Eadric ever done for the young ?

I recollect he was a pretty selfish, hard-partying bastard when he was young.
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,853

BigRich said:

Last week in my church the, the dioceses had invoked the 1542 Sacrament act, so that communion was given in just one kind (bread) and not wine so there was no need to use a shared chalices.

It felt quite reassuring so how to know that this had been foreseen almost half a millennium ago.
    I dunno how many Catholics or Anglo-Catholics are In Da House tonight, but something I've wondered without knowing a lot about religious matters.

What's the big objection to using individual Communion cups like the Baptists, Methodists, Reformed churches etc? This kind of kit always struck me as more hygienic - always found it a bit icky when watching Catholic/Anglican services with a shared cup, but I guess it depends what you grow up with as "normal".

The Usual choice of silver for the chalice did, supposedly, give certain antiseptic properties*, but you're right, I don't think that would pass muster at Public Health England.
    * this is a property of silver, but I'd think that killing all viruses within 3-4 seconds is beyond its properties.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826

kingbongo said:

I honestly lose track of all these titles. I was born in 1965. Is that Baby Boomer? Or Gen X? I think I ought to know so I can behave accordingly.

I was also born in 65 and would like a definitive ruling on this
    It appears that there is no definitive year. According to Wikipedia the crossover is somewhere between 1960 and 1965.

"Generation X (or Gen X for short) is the demographic cohort following the baby boomers and preceding the Millennials. Researchers and popular media typically use birth years around 1965 to 1980 to define Generation Xers, although some sources use birth years beginning as early as 1960 and ending somewhere from 1977 to 1984."
    Gen X birth year 1964 to 1981 for our company’s stats etc.
    The same article says that the Gen is defined more by events in your youth. Gen X is Michael Jackson, Arcade Games and the Berlin Wall
    Edge cases can be odd. I'm 1982 but don't identify as a Millenial.
  • Options
    MonkeysMonkeys Posts: 755

eadric said:

Why do you think Belgium, Spain, France, Italy, Austria, and many other countries have CLOSED all bars, restaurants, cafes, etc?

Is it for a laugh? Are they self harming their economies because they are over-reacting?

Coronavirus can go two ways. You lock it down and you get near to South Korea. You don't, and you become Iran. If people won't voluntarily isolate, the government has to step in, and lock us all up. Great.

The old world has gone and won't be back till there is a vaccine, two years away at least.

When you were young, you went to pubs, you drank and took drugs, you fell in love, you played in bands, you went to parties, you did wild and irresponsible things, no ?

Why should young people lose a year or two years out of their glorious youth in lockdown? They are not going to get seriously ill, anyhow.

Who are you -- an elderly Malvolio -- to say there shall be no more cakes and ale?
    They'll have to, and then in a few years down the line they'll kick out against it, and with it all of the more restrictive moral panics that had constituted the Golgafrincham B-Ark's takeover of left wing politics up to now. 10 year-olds now are really going to go nuts in 2030.
  • Options
    Fysics_TeacherFysics_Teacher Posts: 6,060
    Pro_Rata said:

BigRich said:

The Usual choice of silver for the chalice did, supposedly, give certain antiseptic properties*, but you're right, I don't think that would pass muster at Public Health England.
    * this is a property of silver, but I'd think that killing all viruses within 3-4 seconds is beyond its properties.
    Alcohol will also kill it, but not many communion wines are 60% by volume...
  • Options

If pubs etc have to stay closed for the duration Sunak will need to provide more than £330bn in loans...

How long until the loans become grants. Weekend or sooner?

No repayments due for months, it doesn't need to be dealt with before then.
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483
    BigRich said:

BigRich said:

I think is about the idea of 'communion' being 'communal', and therfore the sharing of a cup is part of that.

but I suspect its also about maintaining a tradition because its 'normal' to each geration.

Arguably as nobody shares a cup in normal life nowadays, (even when going to the pub in a virus Pandemic) its no longer holds the same symbolic value, which why newer denominations have not felt the ergeg to emulate that practice.
    Do they still share the big mug of tea in prisons?
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

Last night I popped out to a local pub after 10pm for a couple of pints, and was met with a notice on the entrance door informing customers that payment is now to be 'by card only' until further notice. Had to return home to pick up my credit card. Apparently this is now becoming common. I will be visiting another pub later tonight, and will be interested to see how its management is playing things.

Why are you going to pubs when the advice is not to?

Absolutely stupid, just like many of your other attitudes to society.
    That is irresponsible selfish behaviour and does you no credit at all Justin
    We have to make our own judgements on this. I will simply add that I have complied with some of the earlier advice to a much greater extent than others I have encountered. On Sunday evenings, I usually join a group of 6 or 7 people - who range in age from 59 to 73. They include a couple in their early 70s, and at the end of the evening , the guy invariably shakes hands and gives a hug to the others prior to departure. His wife is even more physically demonstrative and pretty well insists on giving everybody a good snog before leaving. A week ago I declined the handshake from the guy but was caught unawares by his wife. Last Sunday,however, I did resist successfully the lady's attempt to embrace me - and made it clear that on this matter I intent to comply with official medical advice. By the way , both are Tory voters.
    I assume this is satire.

I assure you it is not. Of the group, I was the most compliant with the advice . The couple were particularly defiant.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,139

kingbongo said:

I honestly lose track of all these titles. I was born in 1965. Is that Baby Boomer? Or Gen X? I think I ought to know so I can behave accordingly.

It appears that there is no definitive year. According to Wikipedia the crossover is somewhere between 1960 and 1965.

"Generation X (or Gen X for short) is the demographic cohort following the baby boomers and preceding the Millennials. Researchers and popular media typically use birth years around 1965 to 1980 to define Generation Xers, although some sources use birth years beginning as early as 1960 and ending somewhere from 1977 to 1984."
    The same article says that the Gen is defined more by events in your youth. Gen X is Michael Jackson, Arcade Games and the Berlin Wall
    Yes, excellent!
  • Options
    RobD said:

justin124 said:

RobD said:

justin124 said:

welshowl said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

Last night I popped out to a local pub after 10pm for a couple of pints, and was met with a notice on the entrance door informing customers that payment is now to be 'by card only' until further notice. Had to return home to pick up my credit card. Apparently this is now becoming common. I will be visiting another pub later tonight, and will be interested to see how its management is playing things.

We have to make our own judgements on this. I will simply add that I have complied with some of the earlier advice to a much greater extent than others I have encountered. On Sunday evenings, I usually join a group of 6 or 7 people - who range in age from 59 to 73. They include a couple in their early 70s, and at the end of the evening , the guy invariably shakes hands and gives a hug to the others prior to departure. His wife is even more physically demonstrative and pretty well insists on giving everybody a good snog before leaving. A week ago I declined the handshake from the guy but was caught unawares by his wife. Last Sunday,however, I did resist successfully the lady's attempt to embrace me - and made it clear that on this matter I intent to comply with official medical advice. By the way , both are Tory voters.
    This isn’t about who votes for whom. It’s about right and wrong. We are emphatically not free to make our own judgements on this because enough idiots will do what they want and more will die as a result. Horribly effectively drowning in their own lung juice because people can’t foresake a pint down the pub for a few weeks.

Feel good???
    I was around at the time of the Hong Kong flu pandemic in 1968. As I was only 14 at that time I was not directly affected, but there was certainly no attempt by the Government to impose a lock-down in this way.
    And that somehow justifies not following advice this time?
    Make it unlawful then! I would not seek to break the law.
    As a rule you don't follow advice? You do sound like the stubborn sort.
    Harold Wilson certainly did not appear on our TV screens in 1968 to give us regular medical advice.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,426

dr_spyn said:

Re paracetamol and asprin, there are limits on how many packets can be bought at one time in a supermarket which were in force before this kicked off.

I had tried to buy 2 of each, and was told I could only have a maximum of two items.

Sold out across the supermarkets and chemists around here
    Re: paracetamol and aspirin

I believe 2 packs is bog standard advice from way back, nothing virus related.

It helps stop suicides and inadvertent liver poisoning. Most people don't know how few paracetamol you need to fuck yourself.

• Options
    BluestBlueBluestBlue Posts: 4,556
    RobD said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

Justin is 65

As there is no end to this without a vaccine, why should young people lose precious, glorious years of their lives stuck inside the house with Grandpa Eadric and his antiseptic gels.
    Because when they go back to their house with Grandpa Eadric they'd probably kill him.
    Yes, but that's just because he's annoying, not because they're infected :wink:
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,990
    justin124 said:

RobD said:

justin124 said:

RobD said:

justin124 said:

welshowl said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

This isn’t about who votes for whom. It’s about right and wrong. We are emphatically not free to make our own judgements on this because enough idiots will do what they want and more will die as a result. Horribly effectively drowning in their own lung juice because people can’t foresake a pint down the pub for a few weeks.

Feel good???
    I was around at the time of the Hong Kong flu pandemic in 1968. As I was only 14 at that time I was not directly affected, but there was certainly no attempt by the Government to impose a lock-down in this way.
    Harold Wilson certainly did not appear on our TV screens in 1968 to give us regular medical advice.
    Again, so what?
  • Options
    justin124 said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

I assume this is satire.

I assure you it is not. Of the group, I was the most compliant with the advice . The couple were particularly defiant.
    I have said before that you are a bigot. (You are).

I now contend that you are also an idiot. (You are).
  • Options
    Time_to_LeaveTime_to_Leave Posts: 2,547
    edited March 2020

kingbongo said:

I agree (1983). For me the difference is not growing up with the internet and not having a mobile phone until Uni (having time agree a pub and a time to meet, and get there before they moved on). Many of my schoolmates were not even “on the phone” to start with.

For these reasons, my youth was a lot closer to my dad’s than mine is to someone born in 1990.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,627
    rcs1000 said:

As horrible as it is Iran will at least demonstrate the consequences of "let rip" at the other end of the scale.

I wonder what the true level of infection is in Iran? If the iceberg theory is right, it might be north of 40% already.
    We might never know given how closed it is.
  • Options
    RobD said:

rcs1000 said:

As horrible as it is Iran will at least demonstrate the consequences of "let rip" at the other end of the scale.

I wonder what the true level of infection is in Iran? If the iceberg theory is right, it might be north of 40% already.
    Have there been any more developments on that front in the last day? The Iceland and Veneto stories were quite encouraging.
    The Sainsbury's and Morrisons stories were depressing though.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,713
    I see that the QVC Beauty Channel are doing a 1 hour special on soap and handwash this evening.

Gotta love Capitalism.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,446

Just had an email to say local library and leisure centre will close.

Got emails from Science Museum and Postal Museum in London saying they too will close from tonight.
  • Options

dr_spyn said:

Re paracetamol and asprin, there are limits on how many packets can be bought at one time in a supermarket which were in force before this kicked off.

I had tried to buy 2 of each, and was told I could only have a maximum of two items.

Sold out across the supermarkets and chemists around here
    Re: paracetamol and aspirin

I believe 2 packs is bog standard advice from way back, nothing virus related.

It helps stop suicides and inadvertent liver poisoning. Most people don't know how few paracetamol you need to fuck yourself.

Yes I do understand that so why a shortage other than panic buying
  • Options
    eadric said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

Justin is 65

Actually, I agree with you.

If I was 18 and desperate to get drunk and meet girls and have druggy fun, as I once was, how long would I tolerate sitting at home watching Netflix? Twonyears? No way.

The government will have to play this aspect carefully.

But Justin is 65 and it is inexcusable. Get home, have a biscuit, stop being a selfish arse.

Incidentally, as I said I did see SOME people in pubs on my evening walk - and most were over 40, if not over 50. Maybe there is some truth in the boomer/Gen X accusation.
    I am glad you agree.

There is no way 18 years olds are going to sit at home worrying about coronavirus transmission rates for 2 weeks -- let alone for however long this goes on for.

And, I see their point of view. Why should they not dance and drink and screw?
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,068
    geoffw said:

nichomar said:

Clearly the case for mandated by law is obvious, the issue really is how draconian. Apparently if I had a dog I could have rented it out for 40e an hour To people desperate to go for a walk. The problem is people will look for loop holes to get around restrictions. Let’s get on with it and hope it’s only for a month or two. All worth it if it keeps hospitals functioning close to normal

Yeah, my son in Catalonia told me just now how people are using dog-walking to get round the ban.
    Dog walking is usually done in the open air, and involves very little touching of people or surfaces.

If a couple of pints in the pub is a 9 risk, going to the supermarket is a 4 and dog walking is probably a 1 or 2.
  • Options

DougSeal said:

IshmaelZ said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

Another fucking idiot. Stay at home you knob.
    With respect, I currently live alone and feel pretty laid back about picking up the virus. Unlikely in the extreme that I will be a carrier myself. I am very philosophical about any danger incurred, and accept the risk on the basis that if the virus has my number on it - 'so be it'! I have reached the age of 65 years and 8 months - which I believe was the normal male life expectancy in the UK as late as mid-1958. I really am not unduly worried at the prospect of departing this physical plain for other realms! Were I 45 , I would likely take a different view.
    Boomers
    No, this guy is special. We aren't all like that.
    Yes, he's embodying the stereotypes of boomers, but of course there are many who don't fit those stereotypes.
    What is the stereotype of Gen X’ers in these circumstances? Sit around in checked shirts commenting ironically?
    You are Gen X
  • Options

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

I assume this is satire.

I am coming round to the opinion Justin gets his kicks by winding everyone up

Otherwise at his age he is very irresponsible and lacks human empathy
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,248

eadric said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

Justin is 65

If I was 18 and desperate to get drunk and meet girls and have druggy fun, as I once was, how long would I tolerate sitting at home watching Netflix? Twonyears? No way.

But Justin is 65 and it is inexcusable. Get home, have a biscuit, stop being a selfish arse.

Incidentally, as I said I did see SOME people in pubs on my evening walk - and most were over 40, if not over 50. Maybe there is some truth in the boomer/Gen X accusation.
    I am glad you agree.

There is no way 18 years olds are going to sit at home worrying about coronavirus transmission rates for 2 weeks -- let alone for however long this goes on for.

Because Pulp is well before their time?
  • Options

eadric said:

RobD said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

Justin is 65

It is a serious question. The world is already skewed in terms of wealth, property, assets in favour of the old.

Maybe that is just about fine for a couple of weeks, but for two years, or more?

Well lots of old people are about to DIE, so maybe the world is rebalancing itself. And that's maybe a good thing. Albeit a bit tough on those that cop a particularly nasty death.

That's what bugs me about this bug. It's a really bad way to go. Drowning in your own lung fluid, over two days, alone in a ward full of other people dying, with no relatives of friends around, holding an iPad to say goodbye to everyone (that's what they do in Italian hospitals). The disease cruelly keeps you lucid to the bitter end.

And then they take your corpse and it is rapidly burned in Corpse Burning Unit 956XF, with no proper funeral.

Christ. I'd rather die at home of heroin. Ta v much.
    Lild are out of heroin, I have just been down there.
    Should have gone to Spoons.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

geoffw said:

nichomar said:

Clearly the case for mandated by law is obvious, the issue really is how draconian. Apparently if I had a dog I could have rented it out for 40e an hour To people desperate to go for a walk. The problem is people will look for loop holes to get around restrictions. Let’s get on with it and hope it’s only for a month or two. All worth it if it keeps hospitals functioning close to normal

Yeah, my son in Catalonia told me just now how people are using dog-walking to get round the ban.
    Dog walking is usually done in the open air, and involves very little touching of people or surfaces.

If a couple of pints in the pub is a 9 risk, going to the supermarket is a 4 and dog walking is probably a 1 or 2.
    Might try a Skype pub with my mates in the living room.

I've got enough beer in for phone pissups to be a thing.
  • Options

kingbongo said:

I agree (1983). For me the difference is not growing up with the internet and not having a mobile phone until Uni (having time agree a pub and a time to meet, and get there before they moved on). Many of my schoolmates were not even “on the phone” to start with.

For these reasons, my youth was a lot closer to my dad’s than mine is to someone born in 1990.
    Yeah, fair point. I think early Millennials are culturally late Gen X. I’m not sure why the dividing line was set at 81.
  • Options
    Watch this one age. One casket by another, sadly.

https://twitter.com/SteveScalise/status/1239902065066901510
  • Options

eadric said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

Justin is 65

I am glad you agree.

Because their parents might end up dead?
  • Options
    kingbongokingbongo Posts: 393

kingbongo said:

That sounds official enough for me - I read Douglas Coupland novels and learned to program on a Research Machines Z80 so maybe proto-Gen X rather than full on
  • Options
    justin124 said:

RobD said:

justin124 said:

RobD said:

justin124 said:

welshowl said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

Feel good???
    Wilson didn’t have to oversee the public response to a global killer contagion with an infection rate great even than the common cold, at least as I recall.
  • Options

eadric said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

Justin is 65

I am glad you agree.

My granddaughter 17 most certainly is with a 38 degree temperature and feeling rotten
  • Options

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

I assume this is satire.

Perhaps you need to consult a mirror.
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,176
    There may be openings for a few compliance officers in the new world of bans and quarantines.
  • Options
    justin124 said:

RobD said:

justin124 said:

RobD said:

justin124 said:

welshowl said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

Feel good???
    Harold Wilson never faced a pandemic for which there was no available vaccination.
    To paraphrase a key paragraph of the Imperial report: this is the first time since 1918 the world has faced a pandemic virus without any vaccination capability and with only social measures at its disposal.

There are still a number of good reasons to hope that this isn't the very earliest stages towards following the path of Spanish flu, but let's not piss away cheaply the only protection we have before those reasons are verified and secure.
  • Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 3,963

kingbongo said:

Yeah, fair point. I think early Millennials are culturally late Gen X. I’m not sure why the dividing line was set at 81.
    The boundary is blurred:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xennials
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,996
    "Russian state media has blamed Britain for the global coronavirus pandemic.

Kremlin-backed media has broadcast propaganda which states Covid-19, the new form of coronavirus, was created as a tool for the benefit of the UK."

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8120505/Russia-blames-BRITAIN-coronavirus-outbreak.html
  • Options

eadric said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

Justin is 65

I am glad you agree.

If they're 18, their parents are probably 40-50. It is not a big risk.
  • Options
    Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 7,981
    kingbongo said:

kingbongo said:

That sounds official enough for me - I read Douglas Coupland novels and learned to program on a Research Machines Z80 so maybe proto-Gen X rather than full on
    I wore out the programming possibilities of a ZX81 in a week and traded it in against a BBC Model B which lasted me about 10 years.
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388
    Young people drink less, smoke less, and - on the whole - take fewer drugs than their parents. They are also far better users of technology. In terms of observing a lockdown, I know where my money is.
  • Options
    edited March 2020

kingbongo said:

These categories are ridiculous. The idea that people born in 1964 have a lot in common with people born in 1981 is just silly.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

geoffw said:

nichomar said:

You used to pay the dogwalker. Now the dogwalker pays the dog owner.
  • Options

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

I assume this is satire.

The 73 year old husband in my Sunday group is a Tory party member and is an even stronger supporter of Johnson than you appear to have become.
  • Options
    eadric said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

Justin is 65

So far, I've been pretty impressed by the attitude of my teenage lad and his pals. They have voluntarily stopped meeting up together, are stoic about the cancellation of their prom and generally cooperative with hand-washing, etc. If we come though this without losing too many oldies, we shall owe our youth a debt of gratitude for the sacrifice of their social life. (Mind you, the burden is lightened somewhat by the existence of social media.)
  • Options
    justin124 said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

I assume this is satire.

Perhaps you need to consult a mirror.
    Good one.
  • Options
    justin124 said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

I assume this is satire.

The 73 year old husband in my Sunday group is a Tory party member and is an even stronger supporter of Johnson than you appear to have become.
    What has that got to do with your irresponsible behaviour
  • Options
    kyf_100 said:

kingbongo said:

The boundary is blurred:

Yes I can live with that.
  • Options

eadric said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

Justin is 65

I am glad you agree.

OK, their grandparents.
  • Options
    Just been for a drink at the local pub. Not very crowded. Average age about 35.
  • Options
    Off to the pub now!
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

kingbongo said:

These categories are ridiculous. The idea that people born in 1964 have a lot in common with people born in 1981 is just silly.
    Why then have generational cohorts at all? Seminal events like the Space Race, Cold War, 9/11, Corona, do shape the worldviews of those that came of age amid them.
  • Options

kingbongo said:

kingbongo said:

I wore out the programming possibilities of a ZX81 in a week and traded it in against a BBC Model B which lasted me about 10 years.
    Still got my ZX Spectrum.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,146
  • Options
    geoffw said:

There may be openings for a few compliance officers in the new world of bans and quarantines.

Can I volunteer to be one of the two or three state paid guardians who sit in the pub (5m from each other), drink free beer, and tell anyone else who tries to come in to bugger off?

I still think the Government should have used my idea to save the pub sector. A prearranged, ten day nationwide bender when it’s all over, the proceeds of which they can borrow against now.
  • Options
    MyBurningEarsMyBurningEars Posts: 3,651
    BigRich said:

BigRich said:

Interesting point, I hadn't considered how culturally drinking from a shared container was a major part of life for thousands of years. Much the same principle as with a Viking drinking horn full of mead being passed around the table at a feast.
  • Options

eadric said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

Justin is 65

I am glad you agree.

OK, their grandparents.
    Plenty of 40-50 years old are sending up on an ICU, plenty are being hospitalised with mild [sic] pneumonia. Who is to say this is not taking a significant lump of of their parents overall level of health, out of their remaining life expectancy.
  • Options
    FeersumEnjineeyaFeersumEnjineeya Posts: 3,902
    edited March 2020

eadric said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

Justin is 65

I am glad you agree.

OK, their grandparents.
    Exactly. Many of us in that age range have kids who are older teenagers and parents who are in their 70s or 80s and pretty fragile. The risk is that we pick the virus up off our kids and pass it on to our parents while caring for them.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,990
    Andy_JS said:

Kremlin-backed media has broadcast propaganda which states Covid-19, the new form of coronavirus, was created as a tool for the benefit of the UK."

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8120505/Russia-blames-BRITAIN-coronavirus-outbreak.html

They are on to us :o
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Idiots.
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

Idiots.
    Last hurrah. The pubs will be closed by end of the weekend at the latest.
  • Options
    alteregoalterego Posts: 1,100

kyf_100 said:

kingbongo said:

The boundary is blurred:

Just call it late middle aged.
  • Options
    theProletheProle Posts: 950

BigRich said:

The individual cups comes from the tea-total movement - if you use non-alcholic communion wine, hygiene becomes more of an issue.
    In normal times, I think a shared cup is more appropriate for two reasons - first, the Bible doesn't say "And after supper he took the tray of little shot glasses and having given thanks gave to his disciples saying take one of these and drink it in remembrance of me." and secondly its a powerful picture of our unity in Christ - it's a pointer to all that we share as brothers and sisters in Christ.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,068

eadric said:

RobD said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

Justin is 65

Well lots of old people are about to DIE, so maybe the world is rebalancing itself. And that's maybe a good thing. Albeit a bit tough on those that cop a particularly nasty death.

That's what bugs me about this bug. It's a really bad way to go. Drowning in your own lung fluid, over two days, alone in a ward full of other people dying, with no relatives of friends around, holding an iPad to say goodbye to everyone (that's what they do in Italian hospitals). The disease cruelly keeps you lucid to the bitter end.

And then they take your corpse and it is rapidly burned in Corpse Burning Unit 956XF, with no proper funeral.

Lild are out of heroin, I have just been down there.
    Should have gone to Spoons.
    I just spat out my tea.
    Over my keyboard. Thanks Philip.
  • Options
    Laura K looked quite emotional asking her question of the Chancellor.

I don't blame her.
  • Options

kingbongo said:

kingbongo said:

The convertible?
  • Options
    alterego said:

kyf_100 said:

kingbongo said:

The boundary is blurred:

Oi! Born in 1983 makes me in my mid-thirties... right?
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,050

@eadric

I do think there is something really quite democratic dying in this way on the hospital wards....I think the unified experience helps the person dying, and the family come to terms with it.....

I feel particularly sorry for the Italians currently dying alone at home...miserably and alone....and elderly couples where one is dying...the other is watching helpless, probably feeling quite unwell themselves...and then left with a body in the flat for a couple of days...
  • Options
    edited March 2020

kingbongo said:

kingbongo said:

Actually you can do a heck of a lot on a ZX81, very much doubt you "wore out the possibilities" in a week!! Still have no idea how 3D Monster Maze worked on that thing (though admittedly it didn't fit on 1 kB, needed the memory expansion).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGf4jdRbCuk

(Glad mine was a Speccy not a ZX80/81 though.)
  • Options
    FossFoss Posts: 694

eadric said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

Justin is 65

So far, I've been pretty impressed by the attitude of my teenage lad and his pals. They have voluntarily stopped meeting up together, are stoic about the cancellation of their prom and generally cooperative with hand-washing, etc. If we come though this without losing too many oldies, we shall owe our youth a debt of gratitude for the sacrifice of their social life. (Mind you, the burden is lightened somewhat by the existence of social media.)
    Nationalising this year’s FIFA and COD and then giving them away at appropriate moments may be a novel way to reduce lockdown tensions.
  • Options
    alterego said:

kingbongo said:

kingbongo said:

The convertible?
    Well I converted mine from 16k to 48k with some upgrade chips.
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483
    geoffw said:

rcs1000 said:

geoffw said:

nichomar said:

geoffw said:

rcs1000 said:

geoffw said:

nichomar said:

The dogs are getting fed up with going out! Well I haven’t got them anymore but I’m sure some breeds are not too keen
  • Options
    theProle said:

BigRich said:

The individual cups comes from the tea-total movement - if you use non-alcholic communion wine, hygiene becomes more of an issue.
    In normal times, I think a shared cup is more appropriate for two reasons - first, the Bible doesn't say "And after supper he took the tray of little shot glasses and having given thanks gave to his disciples saying take one of these and drink it in remembrance of me." and secondly its a powerful picture of our unity in Christ - it's a pointer to all that we share as brothers and sisters in Christ.
    Christ!
  • Options
    eadric said:

Rumours still sweeping Twitter that lockdown commences as early as Thursday.

Twitter knows. For sure.
  • Options

kingbongo said:

kingbongo said:

My best friend had one. I had a proper keyboard but, apart from Defender and Elite, he had way, way better games...
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,539
    Pro_Rata said:

justin124 said:

RobD said:

justin124 said:

RobD said:

justin124 said:

welshowl said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

Feel good???
    Harold Wilson never faced a pandemic for which there was no available vaccination.
    To paraphrase a key paragraph of the Imperial report: this is the first time since 1918 the world has faced a pandemic virus without any vaccination capability and with only social measures at its disposal.

There are still a number of good reasons to hope that this isn't the very earliest stages towards following the path of Spanish flu, but let's not piss away cheaply the only protection we have before those reasons are verified and secure.
    AIDS says hello (at least until they found the cause, and later the treatment).
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,261

stuck inside the house with Grandpa Eadric and his antiseptic gels.

I had a sudden vision of starchy home counties lasses scrubbing down Eadric with Dettol and stiff bristled brushes.
  • Options
    All those pushy parents who coerced their offspring to become doctors must be having second thoughts.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,333
    welshowl said:

The Royale, because of the metric system.

"daddy's watch" - oh god

Re pubs, there are alcoholics who virtually live in them. It will be hard for those people if they all have to close for a long time.
  • Options

Exactly. Many of us in that age range have kids who are older teenagers and parents who are in their 70s or 80s and pretty fragile. The risk is that we pick the virus up off our kids and pass it on to our parents while caring for them.

We have no guarantee that a vaccine can be produced even within two years.

You don't have the right to erase two or more years of the lives of an entire generation of young people.
  • Options

alterego said:

kyf_100 said:

kingbongo said:

The boundary is blurred:

Oi! Born in 1983 makes me in my mid-thirties... right?
    age is not entirely about age 😊
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

Idiots.
    I've been 5 days and counting from the pub.....
    I walk past my local....and it is like some junkie avoiding their fix....it's tough....my forty minutes of me time where I have a pint, and then when I've nearly finished a cheeky half....

I read 2 novels on Saturday, 1 on Sunday.....the kind of voracious book reading I get into after a week of holiday when I've fully relaxed
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,227
    This lockdown - is this the one of everyone over 70 and those with high risk conditions?
  • Options

alterego said:

kingbongo said:

kingbongo said:

The convertible?
    Well I converted mine from 16k to 48k with some upgrade chips.
    Crinkly or thick cut?
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,797
    Andy_JS said:

Yep, turned out well for us.
  • Options
    Fysics_TeacherFysics_Teacher Posts: 6,060

kingbongo said:

kingbongo said:

My best friend had one. I had a proper keyboard but, apart from Defender and Elite, he had way, way better games...
    Elite was one of the best games ever programmed though...
  • Options
    edited March 2020

kingbongo said:

kingbongo said:

For anyone who's into their retrocomputing, there's still a ZX81 demoscene!! Not as big as the Commodore/Amiga or Speccie demoscenes, but arguably even more hardcore. Anyone with fondish 80s/earlys 90s memories of the limitations of their Spectrum or C64 or Amiga 500 should browse the demoscene vids on Youtube. What the masters can get out of that hardware is incredible, and every now and then some new tricks come along.

Bearing in mind the limitations of the ZX81, especially the fact it didn't originally come with a way to do "hi-res" i.e. pixel-by-pixel graphics (though ways around this have been found), the following demos are astonishing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X92xvLlbnVg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKj6TaADFWo
  • Options
    geoffw said:

eadric said:

Rumours still sweeping Twitter that lockdown commences as early as Thursday.

Twitter knows. For sure.
    The twits believe it.
  • Options
    edited March 2020

kingbongo said:

kingbongo said:

Actually you can do a heck of a lot on a ZX81, very much doubt you "wore out the possibilities" in a week!! Still have no idea how 3D Monster Maze worked on that thing (though admittedly it didn't fit on 1 kB, needed the memory expansion).
    It was way too limiting. I was at the start of my programming career and I needed a machine with halfway decent capabilities and more than one programming language. I had BCPL as well as BBC Pascal. BCPL was fun.

Nowadays, after a couple of decades, I have used more programming languages than enough. I always had a bit of a soft spot for System/36 OCL... :D
  • Options
    edited March 2020

All those pushy parents who coerced their offspring to become doctors must be having second thoughts.

My sister has got two- one is already down (2 days ago) with a raging fever, cough and hasn't even been tested.....

Pushing the final years into the front line reminds of some other event....
  • Options
    BigRichBigRich Posts: 3,489

BigRich said:

BigRich said:

Interesting point, I hadn't considered how culturally drinking from a shared container was a major part of life for thousands of years. Much the same principle as with a Viking drinking horn full of mead being passed around the table at a feast.
    The modern equivalents perhaps being passing a Joint or a 'crak' pipe, not my thing, but I understand the custom is to pass to the left, the same a bottle of port.
  • Options

stuck inside the house with Grandpa Eadric and his antiseptic gels.

I had a sudden vision of starchy home counties lasses scrubbing down Eadric with Dettol and stiff bristled brushes.
    Was he enjoying it?
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,002
    eadric said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

Another fucking idiot. Stay at home you knob.
    With respect, I currently live alone and feel pretty laid back about picking up the virus. Unlikely in the extreme that I will be a carrier myself. I am very philosophical about any danger incurred, and accept the risk on the basis that if the virus has my number on it - 'so be it'! I have reached the age of 65 years and 8 months - which I believe was the normal male life expectancy in the UK as late as mid-1958. I really am not unduly worried at the prospect of departing this physical plain for other realms! Were I 45 , I would likely take a different view.
    As others have pointed out, the reason you shouldn't go to pubs is for the rest of society, not YOU. We need minimal transmission, low social interaction. That way we ALL get through without half a million dying.

You're being selfish, or stupid, or both. Sorry.
    I drove past my local tonight and there were probably 10 people inside. To be honest I don’t think that’s a problem, and means Boris’ advice is working; he’s saying don’t go down there, knowing a few will and a few is prob ok
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

welshowl said:

The Royale, because of the metric system.

"daddy's watch" - oh god

Re pubs, there are alcoholics who virtually live in them. It will be hard for those people if they all have to close for a long time.
    Yep. Sadly true, but it is a genuine health problem. Stopping drinking suddenly can kill you if you are a very heavy drinker.
  • Options

I :lol: out loud.

But then thought I shouldn't have.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,002

eadric said:

“Life is timeless, days are long when you're young
    You used to fall in love with everyone
    Any guitar and any bass drum
    Life is a drink, and you get drunk when you're young
    Life is new, and there's things to be done
    You can't wait to be grown up
    Acceptance into the capital world
    You pull on some weed, then you pull on someone when you're young
    But you find out life isn't like that
    It's so hard to comprehend
    Why you set up your dreams to have them smashed in the end
    But you don't mind, you've got time on your side