Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Free speech, one each. The myth of the oppressed rightwinger a

Comments

• Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,264
    IshmaelZ said:

IanB2 said:

IshmaelZ said:

IanB2 said:

Any PB regular knows that he’s a drama queen. By the sound of it, it didn’t take the NHS that long to work out the same.

The alternative being to believe that Sean is actually UK Patient Zero.

It does seem to me that eadric is in the position of someone on 15/4/12 pointing out in relatively measured terms that the ship has actually hit an iceberg, is actually sinking, and that there are actually not enough lifeboats. The suggestion that seeking advice from PHE, and following it, is the wrong thing to do sets a new standard of batshittery (not to say irresponsibility).

And his advice four weeks ago to get out of equities was the most valuable I have ever acted on.
    I agree selling equities recently was wise, and did so myself. Whether it was valuable advice in the medium term depends on what happens to the markets while you are out of them.

My advice - from last weekend onwards - to take sell positions on the Dow and FTSE, and sell GBP/CHF - would actually have delivered you a profit (rather than just an avoided loss) this week.
    Really? I thought you weren't panicking four weeks ago, and the markets certainly weren't, so why would you have done that?

Anyway the difference is that eadric persuaded me, correctly *and contemporaneously*, that the world was changing. You didn't.
    Maybe you weren’t reading posts here at the right times. The precise, timed advice I gave on here from last weekend onwards would have netted anyone who followed them £’000s in profit, even for modest stakes.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826

eadric said:

This, inter alia, is one reason I think Brexit might end up being paused.

Yes, will Johnson really walk out of talks and refuse to extend the transition if we're in the midst of a serious health crisis? It would make him look like a crazed ideologue.
    Let him look like a crazed ideologue.

If the EU want to compromise and see sense then we can get a mutually-respectful trade agreement recognising each other as sovereign equals.

If the EU don't want to compromise then so long, farewell, auf wiedersehen, goodbye.
  • Options
    isam said:

isam said:

The hyperbole is off the scale here this afternoon.

+1000
    Tell me that was a joke!!!
    No. Comments on here today have been way off the scale of doom at times
    I know, but reacting to

"The hyperbole is off the scale here this afternoon."

with

"+1000"

rather than "+1" IS a funny joke!

Unintended obviously, oh well
    Maybe just frustration with some nonsensical predictions to be honest

And my wife and I are in the high risk category
  • Options
    eggegg Posts: 1,749
    rcs1000 said:

eadric said:

Yes, that's what I mean. I should say "the Brexit process" perhaps. There is a reasonable chance it will be paused, as we deal with more pressing matters.

The idea we will want to put greater obstacles along supply chains even as these break down is fanciful, to me.

Yes, I think that's very plausible. (And probably wouldn't be a bad thing, reducing tension.)
    Brexit is definitely going to be paused. Unless you think corona crisis doesn’t last years.

You should be betting accordingly.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,962
    Andy_JS said:

eadric said:

rcs1000 said:

eadric said:

Yes, that's what I mean. I should say "the Brexit process" perhaps. There is a reasonable chance it will be paused, as we deal with more pressing matters.

The idea we will want to put greater obstacles along supply chains even as these break down is fanciful, to me.

Yes, I think that's very plausible. (And probably wouldn't be a bad thing, reducing tension.)
    I see your neighbourhood has started to panic

https://twitter.com/HotpageNews/status/1234163447937499136?s=20
    I'm rather proud of the fact that we haven't succumbed to panic buying in this country so far.
    My advice would be to do your panic buying now, before everyone else does. ;)
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

eadric said:

rcs1000 said:

eadric said:

I'm rather proud of the fact that we haven't succumbed to panic buying in this country so far.
    Try looking up the price of hand sanitiser on Amazon, or seeing if any of the online supermarkets have any left in stock?
  • Options
    TimTTimT Posts: 6,328
    edited March 2020
    eadric said:

This is your field, isn't it? (Or is it TimB? - sorry I get you confused)

A few weeks ago you were moderately confident this would not be a terrible pandemic. Are you still?

Yes, biological risk management is my current field (at personal, institutional and national levels of risk management). My degree is in cellular pathology, I was a diplomat spending time negotiating the chemical weapons treaty and thereafter disarming Iraq's wmd. But in the last 15 years my field has morphed from national biochemical security, to biosafety, to risk management at a systems level, to organizational responses to change in complex dangerous environments. I still work mainly in the field of biology, such as one health, emerging technologies (synthetic biology), national biosecurity, and safety excellence in research and diagnostic labs, biological production facilities, and healthcare institutions.

I think you misinterpret me in saying I was moderately confident this would not become a terrible pandemic. I was urging caution in dealing with early statistics because they are always fraught for every new disease outbreak. I opined that the final mortality rate was likely to be lower than the initial figures out of Wuhan for a variety of reasons. I still think that will be the case.

But it is an extremely worrying disease which will be very hard to contain now we know that (1) it can be spread before symptoms appear and (2) a very high percentage of those infected are either asymptomatic or paucisymptomatic.

But, as others on this site do, I suspect, even with this, that the greatest element of global damage will come from our response measures to the outbreak, not from the disease it causes.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,576
    edited March 2020
    I wonder why the fatality rate in Italy seems to be higher than other Western countries. I know they have the second-oldest population in the world after Japan but one wouldn't have thought that would be a significant factor.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    IanB2 said:

IshmaelZ said:

IanB2 said:

IshmaelZ said:

IanB2 said:

Any PB regular knows that he’s a drama queen. By the sound of it, it didn’t take the NHS that long to work out the same.

It does seem to me that eadric is in the position of someone on 15/4/12 pointing out in relatively measured terms that the ship has actually hit an iceberg, is actually sinking, and that there are actually not enough lifeboats. The suggestion that seeking advice from PHE, and following it, is the wrong thing to do sets a new standard of batshittery (not to say irresponsibility).

And his advice four weeks ago to get out of equities was the most valuable I have ever acted on.
    I agree selling equities recently was wise, and did so myself. Whether it was valuable advice in the medium term depends on what happens to the markets while you are out of them.

My advice - from last weekend onwards - to take sell positions on the Dow and FTSE, and sell GBP/CHF - would actually have delivered you a profit (rather than just an avoided loss) this week.
    Really? I thought you weren't panicking four weeks ago, and the markets certainly weren't, so why would you have done that?

Anyway the difference is that eadric persuaded me, correctly *and contemporaneously*, that the world was changing. You didn't.
    Maybe you weren’t reading posts here at the right times. The precise, timed advice I gave on here from last weekend onwards would have netted anyone who followed them £’000s in profit, even for modest stakes.
    "from last weekend onwards"; compared to calling the situation correctly 4 weeks ago, not really the same ballpark, is it?
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,204
    RobD said:

Andy_JS said:

eadric said:

rcs1000 said:

eadric said:

Just taken a large home delivery thanks.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,105
    COVID-19 is 3 months old.

It has killed 2,990.

Since then, 3,287 have been killed in road accidents.

Every day.

https://www.asirt.org/safe-travel/road-safety-facts/
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,884
    MattW said:

Alistair said:

Essexit said:

Of course free speech is not consequence-free speech, but what about cases like Maya Forstater? She expressed views on a big issue of the day, made clear she was doing so in a personal capacity, and lost a job that had nothing to do with those views all the same. A judge then proclaimed that her views (i.e. biological sex is real, immutable, and important) were 'not worthy of respect in a democratic society' and her employers were within their rights to do as they had. Chilling.

She didn't lose a job, she was on a contract and didn't have her contract renewed.

Further more her job was to do fund raising which required making personal contact with hundreds of people, third parties personal opinion of her were hugely relevant to getting a new contract.

None of which factors are particularly relevant or should have an effect, unless the parties she was talking to were either incompetent or allowing their decisions to be coloured by personal prejudice.

Any competent funder or person making donations should be competent enough to distinguish between personal opinions of an employee and the organisation.

Anyhow, there is no shortage of concerning cases.
    The issue is the online-organised hate mobs, which only exist on one side of the debate, and think that someone who disagrees with them (or once did, a decade ago, with a general comment on Twitter) is ‘fair game’ to have calls placed to their employer, the CEO of the organisation and the media, in an attempt to hound people out of their unrelated job.

Toby Young is a good example, if someone can find me an example of a left-winger being hounded by the right, then I’ll happily change my mind that it’s only one side engaged in this behaviour.
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483
    Andy_JS said:

I wonder why the fatality rate in Italy seems to be higher than other Western countries. I know they have the second-oldest population in the world after Japan but one wouldn't have thought that would be a significant factor.
    Because the resources are now stretched to breaking point possibly and they can’t provide dedicated teams to each case. I think someone alluded to this affect earlier. There is speculation that in Iran extensive civil disorder is about to break out as the infection has hit medical staff and police forces.
  • Options

It has killed 2,990.

Every day.

Do we expect an exponential growth in road traffic accidents or something? :)
  • Options
    Brilliant advice.

If you are to do any panic buying, may I suggest you start with any essential medications you might need. Get a 3 month supply.
    RobD said:

Andy_JS said:

eadric said:

rcs1000 said:

eadric said:

• Options
    And has anyone even commented on the dreadful situation on the Turkey - Greek border with thousands of refugees trying to get into the EU

Terrible pictures of the Greeks/EU tear gassing with distressed children, and mothers trying to wash out their eyes with bottled water

What a mess and how will this contain the virus
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

IanB2 said:

IshmaelZ said:

IanB2 said:

IshmaelZ said:

IanB2 said:

"from last weekend onwards"; compared to calling the situation correctly 4 weeks ago, not really the same ballpark, is it?
    Personally I’d rather get specific tips on when to short, based on the positions I took last Friday (which was pretty much US market top) and before market open on Monday - than a generalised panic about the state of the world several weeks before it became pertinent.

It’s not usual for PB’ers to be so churlish about successful tips, whether politics, sport or financial? All my posts are on record for you to peruse if you doubt my word.

• Options

It has killed 2,990.

Every day.

Context.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,960
    Reading Wikipedia on the Spanish Flu (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spanish_flu), the stats are: 27% of the world population got it (500 million), and 35-50 million people died from it.

Most deaths were not from influenza itself (which had only a 1.5-3.0% fatality rate), but were from secondary infections.

The good news is that when proper measures were put in place, transmission stopped very rapidly. Places which did the right right thing (and it was very much a city-by-city response) saw new infections drop to zero (or near zero) in about a month.
  • Options
    German Greens just 3% behind first place in two new opinion polls.

https://www.wahlrecht.de/umfragen/
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

eadric said:

rcs1000 said:

eadric said:

I now feel terrible, like I have let the whole school down....

I think we will see the first UK empty shelves photos by Wednesday.
  • Options
    Good post @TimT
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549
    RobD said:

It has killed 2,990.

Every day.

Maybe of electric scooter related accidents, as they seem to be multiplying at an alarming rate.
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited March 2020
    Superb header, better than much of the Guardian's or the Times' most recent output. Also some very amusing passages.
  • Options
    ChameleonChameleon Posts: 3,886
    https://twitter.com/bnodesk/status/1234166351595540485?s=21

Already been posted, but this contains totals. Lots of reports coming out of Italy that they're at their breaking point in terms of medical equipment in the north.

About 10% in ICU.
    Andy_JS said:

Occam's razor. They have many more cases than they've found. Which would be an explanation consistent with their high level of exporting cases.
  • Options
    eadric said:

Italy has a death rate of almost exactly 2%

https://twitter.com/SkyNewsBreak/status/1234164888068644866?s=20

It looks like this is what we must anticipate. The question then is how many will catch it.

South Korea has a death rate of 0.5 %.
  • Options

eadric said:

IanB2 said:

eadric said:

IanB2 said:

eadric said:

IanB2 said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

The likely.

Iper 1992?

5 years...5 monthsreason.
    for it.
    This.
    I wouldone.
    We couldwar.

So, yeah, it is good Corbyn has gone.
    More nonsensical hyperbole.

Have you deyour absurd panicking?
    Listen: I e all in the same boat.

Good luck, old boy. And I mean it.
    Experience suggests that spending a lot of time on google isn’t a good way to arrive at a balanced judgement.

You haven’t been right about anything so far (apart from selling shares, advice echoed by many, myself included). It’s too early to tell.

Try and act the responsible citizen. You know you didn’t have Coronavirus, and panicked unnecessarily. At least you can be honest about that,
    You want reassurance?

OK, I ca

I hope that helps.
    If you had it, then you should be reassuring people that the end of the world isn’t nigh.

But I strongly suspect that you didn’t have it. The timing would have put you right at the front end of cases outside China, which is hardly credible. The NHS response - even as described from your own partial viewpoint - suggests that they didn’t really take you seriously. And your long track record on PB as our Panicky Wuss Zero speaks for itself.

Sorry.

As for financial markets, that’s a different question. There are a lot of people like you out there.
    This is the last time we will discuss this, or I will become irritated with you, once again. Which is a waste of energy right now.

After I discharged myself from the hospital - with UCL and PHE still arguing about me - I went home, and thought, well that's that. I'll get better, and hear no more of it.
    But you did get better...
    No, he got worse.
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    Excluding two countries, China and Iran, the number of fatalities stands at 69.

https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Andy_JS said:

eadric said:

rcs1000 said:

eadric said:

Can I challenge the whole concept of panic buying? If you make a careful reasoned plan of what you are going to need (enough baked beans for two years for example) and calmly rationally go about gathering it all together, is it panic buying?

It’s also therapeutic and satisfying. With each tin of beans stockpiled you know you are going to be okay, and the likes of Janet Daley will not.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    edited March 2020
    Sandpit said:

MattW said:

Alistair said:

Essexit said:

Of course free speech is not consequence-free speech, but what about cases like Maya Forstater? She expressed views on a big issue of the day, made clear she was doing so in a personal capacity, and lost a job that had nothing to do with those views all the same. A judge then proclaimed that her views (i.e. biological sex is real, immutable, and important) were 'not worthy of respect in a democratic society' and her employers were within their rights to do as they had. Chilling.

She didn't lose a job, she was on a contract and didn't have her contract renewed.

Further more her job was to do fund raising which required making personal contact with hundreds of people, third parties personal opinion of her were hugely relevant to getting a new contract.

None of which factors are particularly relevant or should have an effect, unless the parties she was talking to were either incompetent or allowing their decisions to be coloured by personal prejudice.

Any competent funder or person making donations should be competent enough to distinguish between personal opinions of an employee and the organisation.

The issue is the online-organised hate mobs, which only exist on one side of the debate, and think that someone who disagrees with them (or once did, a decade ago, with a general comment on Twitter) is ‘fair game’ to have calls placed to their employer, the CEO of the organisation and the media, in an attempt to hound people out of their unrelated job.

Toby Young is a good example, if someone can find me an example of a left-winger being hounded by the right, then I’ll happily change my mind that it’s only one side engaged in this behaviour.
    You have got to be fucking joking.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

IshmaelZ said:

IanB2 said:

IshmaelZ said:

IanB2 said:

IshmaelZ said:

IanB2 said:

Personally I’d rather get specific tips on when to short, based on the positions I took last Friday (which was pretty much US market top) and before market open on Monday - than a generalised panic about the state of the world several weeks before it became pertinent.

It’s not usual for PB’ers to be so churlish about successful tips, whether politics, sport or financial? All my posts are on record for you to peruse if you doubt my word.

So longer range forecasts aren't right because they are "not yet pertinent," even if they are right? I see.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,187
    Sandpit said:

There’s plenty the other way. One example -

#owenjonesisawankerday on Twitter.
  • Options
    BluestBlueBluestBlue Posts: 4,556
    Alistair said:

Sandpit said:

MattW said:

Alistair said:

Essexit said:

How many leftwingers have lost their jobs for posting shite about how awesome communism is on social media?
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Sandpit said:

MattW said:

Alistair said:

Essexit said:

I didn’t ask to be sworn at, I asked for actual examples. Name a left-winger driven out of their job by a right-wing Internet hate mob.
  • Options

It has killed 2,990.

Every day.

Context.
    OCVID-19 deaths are going to have rise by 10,000% before they get to the point where we just shrug and go "whatever" - daily.....
  • Options

And has anyone even commented on the dreadful situation on the Turkey - Greek border with thousands of refugees trying to get into the EU

Terrible pictures of the Greeks/EU tear gassing with distressed children, and mothers trying to wash out their eyes with bottled water

Or the government and its supporters who say they will unite the country now, whilst doing this

https://news.sky.com/story/number-10-blocked-mary-beard-role-at-british-museum-because-she-is-pro-eu-11947303
  • Options
    EssexitEssexit Posts: 1,956
    Alistair said:

Sandpit said:

MattW said:

Alistair said:

Essexit said:

You're welcome to provide counter-examples.
  • Options
    eadric said:

rcs1000 said:

eadric said:

I took videos and photos in our local supermarket yesterday.

The place is completely out of anti bacterial wipes, but is otherwise completely normal.
  • Options
    egg said:

IshmaelZ said:

Andy_JS said:

eadric said:

rcs1000 said:

eadric said:

Can I challenge the whole concept of panic buying? If you make a careful reasoned plan of what you are going to need (enough baked beans for two years for example) and calmly rationally go about gathering it all together, is it panic buying?

It’s also therapeutic and satisfying. With each tin of beans stockpiled you know you are going to be okay, and the likes of Janet Daley will not.
    Quite. I shall feel a real twit continuing to use Andrex as a torche cul when the real men have resorted to dock leaves, if they can get them.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,346
    glw said:

RobD said:

It has killed 2,990.

Every day.

Maybe of electric scooter related accidents, as they seem to be multiplying at an alarming rate.
    Adults with small children on electric scooters (seen twice last week), neither with any protective equipment, looks like an accident waiting to happen.
  • Options

It has killed 2,990.

Every day.

Context.
    OCVID-19 deaths are going to have rise by 10,000% before they get to the point where we just shrug and go "whatever" - daily.....
    Its almost certainly not going to happen.
  • Options
    kicorsekicorse Posts: 431
    On topic:

Okay, the idea of the oppressed right-winger is certainly a myth. As someone who is firmly in the liberal left corner of the political compass, I would say that.

However, the article builds a strawman using an idiot like Toby Young and some extreme hypothetical examples. There is a genuine problem, among both social liberals and social conservatives (it's not a left/right thing), of a disproportionate response to contrary views. People are being no-platformed for much much milder things than supporting child pornography. The behaviour of twitter mobs is, in many cases, bullying. It is childish to call people snowflakes for pointing this out.

It is a wrong instinct that many people who share most of my political views have to try to silence opposing views. It is also a wrong instinct when it comes from social conservatives. However, I object to it more strongly from my own side, because it's not just morally wrong - it's also counter-productive. If we'd got rid of these kneejerk reactions 10 years ago, I think we'd still be in the EU, and Hillary Clinton would be POTUS.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,365
    On topic - talking to a friend, his company is in the process of binning someone for being a Remainer of a certain... enthusiasm.

Apparently this person was in the habit pushing the topic of Brexit into every conversation and taking it ill if the answer was not an enthusiastic endorsement of Remain. Politely declining to comment was taken as being Nigel Farage.

Finally things came to a head when the subject of the.... "enquiry" was quite senior. It turned out that said Remainer had been in the habit of registering complaints with HR about anyone who didn't show enough enthusiasm for Europe - and even digging into people's personal social media to try and smell out the Evil Ones. The complaints were apparently of the form that anyone not ProEu is an evil racist xenophobe who creates a hostile working environment just by being there.

Perhaps unsurprisingly, many. many complaints had been registered about this person.

Fired last week....
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

MattW said:

Alistair said:

Essexit said:

I wish that were true, but it's not.

There have been some very organised alt-right mobs that have been every bit as unpleasant.

But we have a tendency not to see them, because they're not "our right", and their targets are not people that we personally follow our sympathize with.
  • Options
    egg said:

Or the government and its supporters who say they will unite the country now, whilst doing this

https://news.sky.com/story/number-10-blocked-mary-beard-role-at-british-museum-because-she-is-pro-eu-11947303
    Not sure how relevant that is to the dreadful scenes on the Greek/EU border
  • Options
    egg said:

You mean Theresa May's government right?

Thank goodness she's gone. Good riddance.
  • Options
    egg said:

IshmaelZ said:

Andy_JS said:

eadric said:

rcs1000 said:

eadric said:

:lol:
  • Options

On topic - talking to a friend, his company is in the process of binning someone for being a Remainer of a certain... enthusiasm.

Apparently this person was in the habit pushing the topic of Brexit into every conversation and taking it ill if the answer was not an enthusiastic endorsement of Remain. Politely declining to comment was taken as being Nigel Farage.

Finally things came to a head when the subject of the.... "enquiry" was quite senior. It turned out that said Remainer had been in the habit of registering complaints with HR about anyone who didn't show enough enthusiasm for Europe - and even digging into people's personal social media to try and smell out the Evil Ones. The complaints were apparently of the form that anyone not ProEu is an evil racist xenophobe who creates a hostile working environment just by being there.

Perhaps unsurprisingly, many. many complaints had been registered about this person.

Fired last week....

Could be any number of PB commenters. :p:D
  • Options

eadric said:

Yes, will Johnson really walk out of talks and refuse to extend the transition if we're in the midst of a serious health crisis? It would make him look like a crazed ideologue.
    Whereas the EU negotiators would look like paragons of virtue, as the EU lose count of the body bags they've used....
  • Options
    My home delivery arrived earlier. I have been rationed from 2 litres of hand soap refill to 500ml.

• Options
    Chameleon said:

Already been posted, but this contains totals. Lots of reports coming out of Italy that they're at their breaking point in terms of medical equipment in the north.

About 10% in ICU.

Andy_JS said:

Occam's razor. They have many more cases than they've found. Which would be an explanation consistent with their high level of exporting cases.
    The map shows it is not in Africa because the locusts have eaten it.

Another myth I can helpfully dispel. Where You read the face masks don’t protect you at all so you don’t really one (just wash your hands AND ARMS whilst singing happy death day to yourself twice) it is lies, the face masks do protect you. The mob want to see you wearing one, coughing and sneezing and breathing into it, if you are not wearing one the mob will hit you over the head with an iron bar until you are dead.
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,346
    eadric said:

eadric said:

It looks like this is what we must anticipate. The question then is how many will catch it.

South Korea has a death rate of 0.5 %.
    The UK is a LOT more like Italy, than it is like South Korea
    I guess we don't eat dog but we do Domino's?
  • Options
    eadric said:

egg said:

IshmaelZ said:

Andy_JS said:

eadric said:

rcs1000 said:

eadric said:

Yes, there are plenty of experts on Twitter and elsewhere, calmly advising that you SHOULD go out and get 2 weeks of food, loo roll, etc. It is the responsible thing to do for your family, they say.

If you follow that advice, I am not sure it can be classified as "panicking".
    The effect on shelves is the same.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Reading Wikipedia on the Spanish Flu (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spanish_flu), the stats are: 27% of the world population got it (500 million), and 35-50 million people died from it.

Most deaths were not from influenza itself (which had only a 1.5-3.0% fatality rate), but were from secondary infections.

The good news is that when proper measures were put in place, transmission stopped very rapidly. Places which did the right right thing (and it was very much a city-by-city response) saw new infections drop to zero (or near zero) in about a month.

One problem was that Spanish flu ("which started in America") was spread by soldiers packed onto long sea cruises to the First World War trenches. Both British and American authorities took the view, perhaps rightly, that winning the war came first.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549

glw said:

RobD said:

It has killed 2,990.

Every day.

Adults with small children on electric scooters (seen twice last week), neither with any protective equipment, looks like an accident waiting to happen.
    I've seen someone on a scooter pushing a pushchair along on the road. Thankfully no child was in it, but it's still bloody stupid.
  • Options
    egg said:

Chameleon said:

About 10% in ICU.

Andy_JS said:

Another myth I can helpfully dispel. Where You read the face masks don’t protect you at all so you don’t really one (just wash your hands AND ARMS whilst singing happy death day to yourself twice) it is lies, the face masks do protect you. The mob want to see you wearing one, coughing and sneezing and breathing into it, if you are not wearing one the mob will hit you over the head with an iron bar until you are dead.
    I'm gonna pin a poppy to my face mask when I get one, to cover all the bases.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

egg said:

IshmaelZ said:

Andy_JS said:

eadric said:

rcs1000 said:

eadric said:

Quite. I shall feel a real twit continuing to use Andrex as a torche cul when the real men have resorted to dock leaves, if they can get them.
    I'm one step ahead. I'm hoarding dock leaves....
  • Options
    EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,976
    Sandpit said:

Alistair said:

Sandpit said:

MattW said:

Alistair said:

Essexit said:

I didn’t ask to be sworn at, I asked for actual examples. Name a left-winger driven out of their job by a right-wing Internet hate mob.
    If it helps, we can instead start by naming all the left wingers who weren't forced out of their jobs, because they had "been on a journey" and "weren't that person any more" and "no longer held those views".

I'll start. Naz Shah.
  • Options

My home delivery arrived earlier. I have been rationed from 2 litres of hand soap refill to 500ml.

Isn't ordinary soap just as effective?
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,916
    kicorse said:

On topic:

Okay, the idea of the oppressed right-winger is certainly a myth. As someone who is firmly in the liberal left corner of the political compass, I would say that.

However, the article builds a strawman using an idiot like Toby Young and some extreme hypothetical examples. There is a genuine problem, among both social liberals and social conservatives (it's not a left/right thing), of a disproportionate response to contrary views. People are being no-platformed for much much milder things than supporting child pornography. The behaviour of twitter mobs is, in many cases, bullying. It is childish to call people snowflakes for pointing this out.

It is a wrong instinct that many people who share most of my political views have to try to silence opposing views. It is also a wrong instinct when it comes from social conservatives. However, I object to it more strongly from my own side, because it's not just morally wrong - it's also counter-productive. If we'd got rid of these kneejerk reactions 10 years ago, I think we'd still be in the EU, and Hillary Clinton would be POTUS.

Well said, and probably true re the EU and Hillary Clinton.

Personally I think it is a terrible shame and intellectually dishonest when people use the worst example of, or argument from, an opponent to illustrate a point
  • Options
    Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 7,981
    edited March 2020
    Bravo Mr Meeks!

An excellent piece :+1:
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

MattW said:

Alistair said:

Essexit said:

There have been some very organised alt-right mobs that have been every bit as unpleasant.

But we have a tendency not to see them, because they're not "our right", and their targets are not people that we personally follow our sympathize with.
    There are certainly hate mobs on all sides of the internet, but I still only see one side who go out of their way to ‘fair game’, Scientology-style, those who disagree with them, preventing them from earning a living. I’ll happily retract my argument for anyone who names a left-winger that lost their job as a result of a right-wing hate mob.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

eadric said:

rcs1000 said:

eadric said:

The place is completely out of anti bacterial wipes, but is otherwise completely normal.
    Can't find nitrile gloves for love nor money here
  • Options
    RobD said:

Fired last week....

Could be any number of PB commenters. :p:D
    I find this reminds me of the comment that a Conservative is a Liberal who has been mugged. Everyone is OK with Cancel Culture until they get Cancelled.

I would suggest that the esteemed gentlemen who wrote the header for this thread should widen his reading.

Consider this: People who reported actual, real, on going crime were told the following: Under legislation to combat hateful neighbours, they would be classified as racists. And then thrown out of their council houses.
  • Options
    Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 7,981

It has killed 2,990.

Every day.

A poor comparison. I can avoid road deaths by staying off the road or driving defensively.

If somebody in a restaurant kitchen has COVID19 and gets it on food, they could infect people who are taking all sorts of precautions and even kill some of them. This is a common disease vector in the USA were people get fired for taking sick time. The CDC has said that 70% of Norovirus cases in the US are passed by infected food workers.
  • Options
    EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,976
    Sandpit said:

rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

MattW said:

Alistair said:

Essexit said:

There are certainly hate mobs on all sides of the internet, but I still only see one side who go out of their way to ‘fair game’, Scientology-style, those who disagree with them, preventing them from earning a living. I’ll happily retract my argument for anyone who names a left-winger that lost their job as a result of a right-wing hate mob.
    This may be an argument about geography. The actions of the alt right in the US around, for example, gun rights (eg hounding the Sandy Hook families as government sponsored actors) is totally unconscionable, but thankfully the UK is mostly devoid of equivalents.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Essexit said:

Alistair said:

Sandpit said:

MattW said:

Alistair said:

Essexit said:

Anna Sarkeesian. Online mob set against her, credible death threats, the full works.

Literally any of the women target by the GamerGate mob.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

eadric said:

rcs1000 said:

eadric said:

Judging by the large numbers of stacked trolleys in the photo, there cannot be too many shoppers panicking.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Isn't ordinary soap just as effective?
    I believe so. I will get some of that instead in next few days.
  • Options
    EssexitEssexit Posts: 1,956
    Alistair said:

Essexit said:

Alistair said:

Sandpit said:

MattW said:

Alistair said:

Essexit said:

Anna Sarkeesian. Online mob set against her, credible death threats, the full works.

She received unspeakably awful abuse from an alt-right mob. She didn't lose her job though.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Essexit said:

Alistair said:

Sandpit said:

MattW said:

Alistair said:

Essexit said:

Yup - this crap spreads where ever anyone Knows They Are Right. Hence your opponents are Evil Incarnated. And everyone knows that Pure Evil must be destroyed without quarter, due process or rational thought.
  • Options
    Endillion said:

Sandpit said:

Alistair said:

Sandpit said:

MattW said:

Alistair said:

Essexit said:

If it helps, we can instead start by naming all the left wingers who weren't forced out of their jobs, because they had "been on a journey" and "weren't that person any more" and "no longer held those views".

I'll start. Naz Shah.
    Boris Johnson.
  • Options
    BluestBlueBluestBlue Posts: 4,556

Endillion said:

Sandpit said:

Alistair said:

Sandpit said:

MattW said:

Alistair said:

Essexit said:

I'll start. Naz Shah.
    Boris Johnson.
    Droll. Do you remember what his Labour opponent in Uxbridge confessed to just before the election? You'll never guess...
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,725
    edited March 2020

The chances of a UK recession within the next five years I'd say are pretty likely.

I wonder if this will shred the Tory economic credentials as per 1992?

I'm amazed we didn't get one by 2020. In any case they will have been in power for 14 years by the next election, it would frankly be a surprise if they were not hated and kicked out. That presently it doesn't look all that likely to happen is the surprise.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

egg said:

Chameleon said:

About 10% in ICU.

Andy_JS said:

I'm gonna pin a poppy to my face mask when I get one, to cover all the bases.
    Let’s manufacture Union Jack face masks? Or why stop there, face mask in whatever flag you want.
  • Options

It has killed 2,990.

Every day.

A poor comparison. I can avoid road deaths by staying off the road or driving defensively.

If somebody in a restaurant kitchen has COVID-19 and gets it on food, they could infect people who are taking all sorts of precautions and even kill some of them. This is a common disease vector in the USA were people get fired for taking sick time. The CDC has said that 70% of Norovirus cases in the US are passed by infected food workers.
    So 1.25m road traffic deaths each year are OK - because you can avoid being one of them. Whereas somebody preparing your food might kill YOU.

There speaks a liberal.....
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

MattW said:

Alistair said:

Essexit said:

I was thinking - for example - of the organised mob that descended on the Ghostbuster actress Leslie Jones. I think her crime (being a in a "feminist" remake of an eighties classic) was non-existant, and the hate leveled at her was every bit as nasty as that directed at Toby Young.
  • Options
    isam said:
    Hitchens might have a point but I am not sure why he thinks the "left-wing baby boomer generation" is in power here or in the United States.
  • Options
    isam said:

kicorse said:

On topic:

Well said, and probably true re the EU and Hillary Clinton.

Personally I think it is a terrible shame and intellectually dishonest when people use the worst example of, or argument from, an opponent to illustrate a point
    I would agree that one of the biggest problems with the no-platform culture is the resulting decline in the ability to construct moral frameworks, and reasoned arguments.

I was struck, when watching a Philosophy seminar by the following: A number of students, when challenged to explain why slavery was wrong, took offence. Slavery was wrong and anyone who asked why was bad. It was noticeable in the discussions that followed that the offended couldn't win people to their way of thinking on other topics - they were not used to constructing an argument beyond "I am right and you are bad for not agreeing with me".
  • Options
    There were still plenty of anti-bacterial hand wipes in the local Sainsbury's yesterday. And lots of Dettol surface cleanser. The only sign that summat's up is the total absence anywhere of hand sanitizer.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,056

There were still plenty of anti-bacterial hand wipes in the local Sainsbury's yesterday. And lots of Dettol surface cleanser. The only sign that summat's up is the total absence anywhere of hand sanitizer.

What about the strawberries?
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,236
    eadric said:

Italy is nowhere near getting a grip of this yet. I believe SK are very close to doing so. It's apples and pears.
  • Options

Endillion said:

I'll start. Naz Shah.

Boris Johnson.
    Droll. Do you remember what his Labour opponent in Uxbridge confessed to just before the election? You'll never guess...
    I know what Boris wrote about, if that helps. I have three of his books. They were not his views, obviously. Or if they were, they aren't now. Which is why it was an appropriate response to the message to which I replied.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

MattW said:

Alistair said:

Essexit said:

I was thinking - for example - of the organised mob that descended on the Ghostbuster actress Leslie Jones. I think her crime (being a in a "feminist" remake of an eighties classic) was non-existant, and the hate leveled at her was every bit as nasty as that directed at Toby Young.
    That’s fair comment, but IMO the difference is that Leslie Jones (and Anita Sarkeesian and others mentioned) made a fortune from their contemporary harrasment situation, whereas Toby Young was forced out of several jobs for his years-old comments.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,850
    Afternoon all :)

Toby Young is offering to his "supporters" what a trade union would offer to any of its members. It's a curious juxtaposition of solidarity and support that a man of the Right uses the language of the unionised Left in that way.

Ah well, those of us who always regard Right and Left as two cheeks of the same arse won't be surprised.

The emergence of online and often anonymous debate has, not surprisingly, been manna from heaven to the provocateur and the agitator. I'm of the view some on here and many who post online generally aren't interested in debate or argument (presumably because they aren't very good at either) and instead seek to provoke a response from opponents or agitate to lead the argument down one usually one-sided route often based on misinformation or disinformation.

Of course, provocation, agitation and misinformation are nothing new - it's the extent to which the online environment empowers such forces which has been the surprise.

Debate and argument are marginalised in favour of rabble rousing often by small numbers who post frequently rather than by the online community as a whole and hide behind such mantra as "freedom of speech" or "the right to offend".
  • Options
    Oman has suspended Italian tourist flights from Salala airport for a month, in an attempt to halt the spread of the virus
  • Options

What about the strawberries?
    Only Moroccan.....
  • Options
    eadric said:

DavidL said:

eadric said:

Italy is nowhere near getting a grip of this yet. I believe SK are very close to doing so. It's apples and pears.
    What makes you think SKorea are so close to controlling this?

Look at the graphs and stats here. It is growing exponentially

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020_coronavirus_outbreak_in_South_Korea#Statistics

What they do have is a much better mortality rate. So far
    Is it spreading, or have there just been far more tests?
  • Options
    stodge said:

Afternoon all :)

Toby Young is offering to his "supporters" what a trade union would offer to any of its members. It's a curious juxtaposition of solidarity and support that a man of the Right uses the language of the unionised Left in that way.

Ah well, those of us who always regard Right and Left as two cheeks of the same arse won't be surprised.

The emergence of online and often anonymous debate has, not surprisingly, been manna from heaven to the provocateur and the agitator. I'm of the view some on here and many who post online generally aren't interested in debate or argument (presumably because they aren't very good at either) and instead seek to provoke a response from opponents or agitate to lead the argument down one usually one-sided route often based on misinformation or disinformation.

Of course, provocation, agitation and misinformation are nothing new - it's the extent to which the online environment empowers such forces which has been the surprise.

Debate and argument are marginalised in favour of rabble rousing often by small numbers who post frequently rather than by the online community as a whole and hide behind such mantra as "freedom of speech" or "the right to offend".

The online environment's hostility is sometimes aggravated by twitter bots and the like, some even funded by hostile foreign powers. The United States government has already pointed to Russian social media disinformation about the coronavirus outbreaks.
  • Options

isam said:
    Hitchens might have a point but I am not sure why he thinks the "left-wing baby boomer generation" is in power here or in the United States.
    I am not sure he even has a point.

I know the person who was chief OPCW inspector for the first Syria inspection and met him shortly after his return from that inspection. I know the political constraints that inspection operated under, and what they were allowed to report on. As far as I know, the report was heavily redacted for political reasons, but in a diametrically opposed way to what Hitchens is now reporting. It won't happen, but I'd find it fascinating to sit down and question Hitchens about the specifics of what his sources have reported to him, and their potential political objectives in doing so.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,236
    eadric said:

RobD said:

eadric said:

DavidL said:

eadric said:

What makes you think SKorea are so close to controlling this?

Look at the graphs and stats here. It is growing exponentially

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020_coronavirus_outbreak_in_South_Korea#Statistics

What they do have is a much better mortality rate. So far
    Is it spreading, or have there just been far more tests?
    They have done LOADS of tests, the most outside China.

But it is hard to find anything truly reassuring in their data, at the moment.
    Anyone fancy a bet that SK is showing a significant reduction in new cases within 7 days? They have gone looking. Hard. What we are seeing now is what they found.
  • Options
    MightyAlexMightyAlex Posts: 1,442
    edited March 2020
    Chameleon said:

About 10% in ICU.

Andy_JS said:

That just looks like a map of first world medical coverage to me. If it isn't rife everywhere else I will cash out my 2020 US recession bet and post it to the white house.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,986

eadric said:

Arguably Boris could say there is even more reason to end the transition and end free movement in the short term to ensure the borders are slammed shut and limit the number of coronavirus cases coming into the UK from abroad
  • Options
    edited March 2020

I suppose we should credit panic shoppers with knowing their virus from their bacteria?
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,850

The online environment's hostility is sometimes aggravated by twitter bots and the like, some even funded by hostile foreign powers. The United States government has already pointed to Russian social media disinformation about the coronavirus outbreaks.

Yes, I'm sure that's so. The direction and control of opinion has become a weapon of international diplomacy but again nothing new.

Major powers have always sought to "influence" the political development of smaller strategically important powers in their direction. That influence has been both covert and overt but the manipulation of the democratic process has and no doubt will continue to be part of that.
  • Options
    eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,890

It has killed 2,990.

Every day.

If somebody in a restaurant kitchen has COVID-19 and gets it on food, they could infect people who are taking all sorts of precautions and even kill some of them. This is a common disease vector in the USA were people get fired for taking sick time. The CDC has said that 70% of Norovirus cases in the US are passed by infected food workers.
    So 1.25m road traffic deaths each year are OK - because you can avoid being one of them. Whereas somebody preparing your food might kill YOU.

There speaks a liberal.....
    Every death is a tragedy to his/her family
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,056
    HYUFD said:

eadric said:

Arguably Boris could say there is even more reason to end the transition and end free movement in the short term to ensure the borders are slammed shut and limit the number of coronavirus cases coming into the UK from abroad
    Free movement has zero to do with border security. They could ground all flights on health grounds tomorrow if they wanted to.
This discussion has been closed.