Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Free speech, one each. The myth of the oppressed rightwinger a

Comments

• Options
    Gabs3Gabs3 Posts: 836

Gabs3 said:

Have predictions been made on Labour post-Starmer victory polling?

I suspect Labour will receive a boost, perhaps mainly from the Lib Dem vote?

I think Starmer will have done very badly if he isn't reaching the 40s, which even Corbyn achieved.

He ruled out a platform of Rejoin so I am sticking with the Lib Dems. I suspect there are a lot like me.
    Rejoin is utterly toxic.
    After fighting every wrong battle over the last three years, are pro-Europeans now going to throw in their cards on the right one before we start?
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,292

Sandpit said:

Total and utter Shi’ite.

I’m starting to get seriously worried now, I just don’t see how it’s containable unless everyone stops travelling to or from the place about a fortnight ago.

We had some medical professionals over today for brunch.

Their view was a two month self isolation for most of the country, anyone returning to the UK gets put in a government secure site.

Hopefully that'll delay the peak until the summer when we should theoretically better able to deal with it.
    Although a massive undertaking, distancing those recently arrived from the general public seems like a very sensible course of action. How you enforce this is another matter.
  • Options
    ChameleonChameleon Posts: 3,902

Should I genuinely be worried about the coronavirus then?

How old are you, your parents and grandparents (if you have any)?
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,402
    eadric said:

DavidL said:

For me the most informative and dramatic contributions on Covid 19 in the last few days is this one: https://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/images/146362/airborne-nitrogen-dioxide-plummets-over-china

The manufacturing heart of the planet no longer beating. The disruption that is going to cause to ever longer supply chains for almost all manufactures of any complexity is almost immeasurable. For me this virus remains more of an economic crisis than a health one. But its not going to be good.

Can you tell me what informs you that it won't also be a health crisis?

Because, right now, I would love to share your optimism.
    We've discussed this before. In Wuhan the infection rate is something like 5%. The death rate is maybe 2% and its a lot less everywhere else where modern medical facilities are available. Singapore has shown that it is possible to prevent the spread of this condition by diligent follow up of infections. So far the NHS is world leading in testing and monitoring. Assuming these defences are eventually overcome we are probably looking at fatalities similar in scale to a bad flu outbreak. Very unfortunate for those (mainly elderly and sick) who succumb but of no great materiality for those who don't.

But I really don't see how we now avoid quite a serious, if brief, recession.
  • Options
    Gabs3 said:

Gabs3 said:

I think Starmer will have done very badly if he isn't reaching the 40s, which even Corbyn achieved.

He ruled out a platform of Rejoin so I am sticking with the Lib Dems. I suspect there are a lot like me.
    Rejoin is utterly toxic.
    After fighting every wrong battle over the last three years, are pro-Europeans now going to throw in their cards on the right one before we start?
    I think the rejoin cause is probably about 20% of people, the rest are Remainers like me who have now given up and instead support some kind of EEA-style deal.

I'm fairly sure polling said for a long time the deal 80% of people would accept is basically EFTA. Shame we have a Government that is about to fuck our economy for the sake of winning an imaginary war.
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483
    Comfortably off Europeans are unwittingly spreading the infection around the worlds tourist resorts. 1st case in Dom Rep An Italian
  • Options
    Chameleon said:

How old are you, your parents and grandparents (if you have any)?
    No grandparents.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,472
    eadric said:

eadric said:

The chances of a UK recession within the next five years I'd say are pretty likely.

I wonder if this will shred the Tory economic credentials as per 1992?

5 years...5 months more like. If it is Coronavirus, no it won't, as the rest of the world will also be hit for the same reason.
    Labour was blamed for the 2008 crisis, the sitting Government will surely receive some criticism for it.
    This is very likely to be worse than 2008, by orders of magnitude.
    I would be astonished if this doesn't damage the Government at least somewhat.

This is just the time we need a competent opposition. The good news is we seem like we're about to get one.
    We could see a government of national unity. It is that serious. This is probably going to be like a big, nasty war.

So, yeah, it is good Corbyn has gone.
    More nonsensical hyperbole.

Have you decided yet whether you actually had it - and hence should be reassuring people that for non-elderly healthy people it’s not that big a deal - or didn’t have it, and simply wasted a lot of NHS time with your absurd panicking?
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,602
    edited March 2020
    Chameleon said:

Sandpit said:

Total and utter Shi’ite.

I’m starting to get seriously worried now, I just don’t see how it’s containable unless everyone stops travelling to or from the place about a fortnight ago.

Their view was a two month self isolation for most of the country, anyone returning to the UK gets put in a government secure site.

Hopefully that'll delay the peak until the summer when we should theoretically better able to deal with it.
    I heard similar stuff, albeit only a month of lockdown last Sunday. The thing that worries me is that medical professionals are taking this very seriously compared to the average person, whereas normally it's the public doing the panicking.
    The issue primarily is that the UK (and all other countries) aren't geared for a mass infection event like this.

People panicking aren't helping.
  • Options
    GideonWiseGideonWise Posts: 1,123

Sandpit said:

Total and utter Shi’ite.

It will need to be longer than two months but this is the right idea. Unfortunately the government sound like they will delay and defer the necessary steps until it becomes too serious. Too late then for many.

It will have to happen eventually so just do it early and get on with it.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,553
    If people will be asked to work from home then employers and the government need to address issues like who is going to pay for things like electricity and phone calls and who will be taxed for them; do ISPs even have enough internet bandwidth for all the extra Skype, Webex and conference calls that will happen?
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,292
    edited March 2020

If people will be asked to work from home then employers and the government need to address issues like who is going to pay for things like electricity and phone calls and who will be taxed for them; do ISPs even have enough internet bandwidth for all the extra Skype, Webex and conference calls that will happen?

Bigger problem will be all that Netflix streaming....it already takes up an absurd amount of the total bandwidth.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,990

Do you enjoy living? :p
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,983

Sean_F said:

Broadly I agree. If you dish it out, you have to be willing to take it. And, I don't think you've ever said anything worth saying if you haven't been insulted by Malcolmg for it, at least once.

I do however, get concerned about twitter mobs trying to hound people out of their jobs, or organise boycotts, for things that have been expressed outside of the workplace. Or people getting threatened with violence for their opinions.

Yes, in general I think distaste for opinions should not be transferable into other areas, as otherwise it gets in the way of sensible cooperation. I've worked on an environmental project with someone who I knew to be a BNP member. It didn't seem relevant so I never raised it, nor did he.
    I think there are jobs in which it would be entirely reasonable to deny employment to a member of a specific political party. I would not expect any left wing campaigning organisation to have to employ me, for example. Even if the role were technocratic, I think they should be entitled to employ people who are committed to the cause. But, if they came to me for legal advice on conveyancing or inheritance, then I'd be as willing to work for them as I would for any other client.

I think that one's political views should be irrelevant to most occupations, however.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,361

The chances of a UK recession within the next five years I'd say are pretty likely.

It will. And the combination of Covid ("It started in China") and Brexit ("But the EU are struggling too") could be politically terminal.

Odd to be saying this now, but this could well be the last Conservative government that many of us will see in our lifetimes.
  • Options
    edited March 2020

Gabs3 said:

Gabs3 said:

Rejoin is utterly toxic.
    I think the rejoin cause is probably about 20% of people, the rest are Remainers like me who have now given up and instead support some kind of EEA-style deal.

I'm fairly sure polling said for a long time the deal 80% of people would accept is basically EFTA. Shame we have a Government that is about to fuck our economy for the sake of winning an imaginary war.
    Doesn't that require freedom of movement? I've not seen support for that in the 80s.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

It will. And the combination of Covid ("It started in China") and Brexit ("But the EU are struggling too") could be politically terminal.

Odd to be saying this now, but this could well be the last Conservative government that many of us will see in our lifetimes.
    And just how many times has that been said?
  • Options
    RobD said:

Gabs3 said:

Gabs3 said:

Rejoin is utterly toxic.

Doesn't that require freedom of movement? I've not seen support for that in the 80s.
    I'll have to track down the poll but it was certainly up there, I am quite happy to acknowledge I might have got the numbers wrong but I am sure it was a majority in favour.

I think YouGov did a poll based on preference voting and an EEA-style deal with FOM (once it was explained it applied both ways albeit), was the most popular Leave option.

I'd be perfectly content with that, I am not sure at all why we aren't doing it.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,789
    RobD said:

kinabalu said:

I think we're still waiting for all the old people to die.....
  • Options
    CorrectHorseBatteryCorrectHorseBattery Posts: 21,436
    edited March 2020
    RobD said:

kinabalu said:

Fair point and you know how wrong I have been in the past.

But in every recent recession or economic disaster the sitting Government has been badly impacted by it.

Perhaps we now live in different times and Johnson manages to not let anything else stick to him - but I would be surprised if they don't take a hit in support.

Perhaps their response to it will be the more pressing thing. Austerity will surely have to come back if such a thing happens, they surely won't invest in a Keynesian style?

Not to mention they don't have much room on borrowing or interest rates. Fundamentally the economy is pretty badly setup for any event - they've been in Government for 9 years, can't blame Labour this time.
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,727
    IanB2 said:

IshmaelZ said:

IanB2 said:

Any PB regular knows that he’s a drama queen. By the sound of it, it didn’t take the NHS that long to work out the same.

The alternative being to believe that Sean is actually UK Patient Zero.

It does seem to me that eadric is in the position of someone on 15/4/12 pointing out in relatively measured terms that the ship has actually hit an iceberg, is actually sinking, and that there are actually not enough lifeboats. The suggestion that seeking advice from PHE, and following it, is the wrong thing to do sets a new standard of batshittery (not to say irresponsibility).

And his advice four weeks ago to get out of equities was the most valuable I have ever acted on.
    I agree selling equities recently was wise, and did so myself. Whether it was valuable advice in the medium term depends on what happens to the markets while you are out of them.

My advice - from last weekend onwards - to take sell positions on the Dow and FTSE, and sell GBP/CHF - would actually have delivered you a profit (rather than just an avoided loss) this week.
    What's PB consencus (is there ever such a thing?) about when the stock exchanges will hit bottom and start to rise?
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Total and utter Shi’ite.

Although a massive undertaking, distancing those recently arrived from the general public seems like a very sensible course of action. How you enforce this is another matter.
    Increase the Air Passenger Tax to £10 million per UK return. That'll stop people coming back to the UK.
  • Options

Chameleon said:

Sandpit said:

Total and utter Shi’ite.

I heard similar stuff, albeit only a month of lockdown last Sunday. The thing that worries me is that medical professionals are taking this very seriously compared to the average person, whereas normally it's the public doing the panicking.
    The issue primarily is that the UK (and all other countries) aren't geared for a mass infection event like this.

I was discussing the impact of the Black Death in relation to this, with a friend. He reckons a pandemic of that type would hit us far harder than a medieval society. Medieval people either grew their own food, or were very close to those who did. We depend on supply chains that would break down within days.

Imagine 40% of the UK's population dying in 18 months. There would be total chaos.
  • Options

RobD said:

kinabalu said:

I think we're still waiting for all the old people to die.....
    I think we are all getting old waiting... There's a flaw in that somewhere.
  • Options
    eadric said:

IanB2 said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

5 years...5 months more like. If it is Coronavirus, no it won't, as the rest of the world will also be hit for the same reason.
    Labour was blamed for the 2008 crisis, the sitting Government will surely receive some criticism for it.
    This is very likely to be worse than 2008, by orders of magnitude.
    I would be astonished if this doesn't damage the Government at least somewhat.

This is just the time we need a competent opposition. The good news is we seem like we're about to get one.
    We could see a government of national unity. It is that serious. This is probably going to be like a big, nasty war.

Have you decided yet whether you actually had it - and hence should be reassuring people that for non-elderly healthy people it’s not that big a deal - or didn’t have it, and simply wasted a lot of NHS time with your absurd panicking?
    Listen: I really really really REALLY hope I am wrong. I hope you get to mock me on here for the rest of time. That is the honest truth.

But I have spent a long time thinking about this, and reading about this, and it is this that informs my pessimism: information.

Unfortunately I have been right on all my predictions, to date, and it doesn't look like that is about to change soon.

But I no longer wish to argue with you, let alone exchange insults. It's pointless. We are all facing up to something horrible, and we are all human, and we are all scared, and anxious. You, me, Topping, TSE. We are all in the same boat.

Good luck, old boy. And I mean it.
    Experience suggests that spending a lot of time on google isn’t a good way to arrive at a balanced judgement.

You haven’t been right about anything so far (apart from selling shares, advice echoed by many, myself included). It’s too early to tell.

Try and act the responsible citizen. You know you didn’t have Coronavirus, and panicked unnecessarily. At least you can be honest about that,
  • Options
    eadric said:

On the upside, for Remainers, Brexit will likely be postponed, or cancelled. Or just forgotten.

We've already left. The issue is what replaces membership.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

IshmaelZ said:

IanB2 said:

Any PB regular knows that he’s a drama queen. By the sound of it, it didn’t take the NHS that long to work out the same.

It does seem to me that eadric is in the position of someone on 15/4/12 pointing out in relatively measured terms that the ship has actually hit an iceberg, is actually sinking, and that there are actually not enough lifeboats. The suggestion that seeking advice from PHE, and following it, is the wrong thing to do sets a new standard of batshittery (not to say irresponsibility).

And his advice four weeks ago to get out of equities was the most valuable I have ever acted on.
    I agree selling equities recently was wise, and did so myself. Whether it was valuable advice in the medium term depends on what happens to the markets while you are out of them.

My advice - from last weekend onwards - to take sell positions on the Dow and FTSE, and sell GBP/CHF - would actually have delivered you a profit (rather than just an avoided loss) this week.
    What's PB consencus (is there ever such a thing?) about when the stock exchanges will hit bottom and start to rise?
    My guess, and its nothing more, is that they have at least another 20% to fall. The virus is a major factor but there are others, notably the bubble of the last few years. They were getting to the point when something, anything, was going to cause a major correction. The fact it turned out to be something serious has just added fuel to the fire.
  • Options
    We might end up all thanking Tony Blair for his far sighted Civil Contingencies Act.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 27,009
    "Yes, we are facing an epidemic – but it is one of panic and self-flagellation
    JANET DALEY" (£)

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/02/29/coronavirus-climate-medieval-thinking-has-triggered-epidemic/
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,553
    Off-topic: it is St David's Day and apparently he is the patron saint of both Wales and bad puns. This from the Welsh Government, promoting local food and Welsh-inspired (hmm) recipes:

This St David's Day we invite you to 'Cwm Dine With Us'
    https://gov.wales/st-davids-day-we-invite-you-cwm-dine-us
  • Options

RobD said:

kinabalu said:

But in every recent recession or economic disaster the sitting Government has been badly impacted by it.

Perhaps we now live in different times and Johnson manages to not let anything else stick to him - but I would be surprised if they don't take a hit in support.

Perhaps their response to it will be the more pressing thing. Austerity will surely have to come back if such a thing happens, they surely won't invest in a Keynesian style?

Not to mention they don't have much room on borrowing or interest rates. Fundamentally the economy is pretty badly setup for any event - they've been in Government for 9 years, can't blame Labour this time.
    Not arguing that it won't have an impact. But no Tory government for the next fifty or so years? Not sure anyone can confidently claim that.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

IshmaelZ said:

IanB2 said:

I was pretty good at calling every move last week, except for Thursday close. But that was mostly luck.

Calling the markets isn’t about what you think will happen - but about what you think the herd will think will happen.

My default case was a drop to Dow 24,000, then indecision as summer starts to slow the virus’s progression, a slow recovery during the summer months, and then a further crash in the autumn.

However following the first US death and growing concern that the US has made a hash of its early response to the crisis, I am starting to wonder whether we will be in for another torrid week.

If there is any buying next week, I would be surprised if it doesn’t run into renewed selling.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

I used to regularly read James Delingpole to challenge myself. I eventually twigged he was a thin skinned troll who loved to dish it out but couldn't take it. Whining about being silenced from his regular newspaper column.

His descent has between pretty impressive.

Delingpole IS a challenge, I agree. If you can get through one of his, nothing skipped, spirit intact, you are quite a soldier.
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

kinabalu said:

Not arguing that it won't have an impact. But no Tory government for the next fifty or so years? Not sure anyone can confidently claim that.
    Oh I wasn't claiming that, I was thinking a minority Government is quite possibly the outcome though.

Can't think Johnson will increase his majority in 2024.
  • Options
    eadric said:

On the upside, for Remainers, Brexit will likely be postponed, or cancelled. Or just forgotten.

It is about to become a triviality.

Actually the opposite is true.

You do know brexit cannot be cancelled, it has already happened

And while I have complimented you previously on your contributions, the discussions on this forum today give rise to my doubts and agree, as other posters seem to say, that you do seem to be a doomster and possess a doubtful medical record on your own experiences with the virus
  • Options

eadric said:

And while I have complimented you previously on your contributions, the discussions on this forum today give rise to my doubts and agree, as other posters seem to say, that you do seem to be a doomster and possess a doubtful medical record on your own experiences with the virus
    Don't often agree with you but spot on post.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Chameleon said:

Sandpit said:

Total and utter Shi’ite.

I was discussing the impact of the Black Death in relation to this, with a friend. He reckons a pandemic of that type would hit us far harder than a medieval society. Medieval people either grew their own food, or were very close to those who did. We depend on supply chains that would break down within days.

Imagine 40% of the UK's population dying in 18 months. There would be total chaos.
    What is it with you Seans? Even the other Sean is ‘only’ predicting 3% (2 million).
  • Options

We might end up all thanking Tony Blair for his far sighted Civil Contingencies Act.

Nah. The crown does what ever it needs to do and sorts the legal mess out afterwards. During foot and mouth the government policy and behaviour of destroying herds in anticipation of infection was done ultra vires. Soldiers and contractors marched onto land and killed thousands of beasts without the authority to do so.

Farmers of course were suitably compensated afterwards.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Chameleon said:

Sandpit said:

Total and utter Shi’ite.

It would result in the collapse of society and could easily take us back to an earlier time in terms of economic development.
  • Options

RobD said:

RobD said:

kinabalu said:

Oh I wasn't claiming that, I was thinking a minority Government is quite possibly the outcome though.

Yeah, but my original comment wasn't in reply to you. It was @kinabalu who made the claim.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,941

Nah, that should have been repealed years ago. No reason why temporary emergency powers can’t be passed when required, as happened with the Prevention of Terrorism Act years ago.
  • Options

eadric said:

Don't often agree with you but spot on post.
    It is always good to agree
  • Options
    Can't help feeling this comedy routine is getting a little worn now. It was genuinely funny and imaginative when it started but its becoming a cliche of itself.
  • Options
    EssexitEssexit Posts: 1,956
    Of course free speech is not consequence-free speech, but what about cases like Maya Forstater? She expressed views on a big issue of the day, made clear she was doing so in a personal capacity, and lost a job that had nothing to do with those views all the same. A judge then proclaimed that her views (i.e. biological sex is real, immutable, and important) were 'not worthy of respect in a democratic society' and her employers were within their rights to do as they had. Chilling.
  • Options

RobD said:

RobD said:

kinabalu said:

If you listen to 'eadric' few of us will be around in 2024

Indeed I may not make it out of my teenage years as yesterday was my 19th birthday (29th February)
  • Options
    BluestBlueBluestBlue Posts: 4,556

RobD said:

RobD said:

kinabalu said:

Few thought that the Tory vote share would increase in every single one of the 6 general elections from 2001 to 2019 either... :wink:
  • Options

DavidL said:

For me the most informative and dramatic contributions on Covid 19 in the last few days is this one: https://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/images/146362/airborne-nitrogen-dioxide-plummets-over-china

The manufacturing heart of the planet no longer beating. The disruption that is going to cause to ever longer supply chains for almost all manufactures of any complexity is almost immeasurable. For me this virus remains more of an economic crisis than a health one. But its not going to be good.

Apparently in terms of manufacturing one of the benefits of the virus hitting at Chinese New Year is that most companies had already stockpiled for the 2 week or so shutdown / slowdown due to the holidays, and so the supply chain isn't quite as badly hit as if it had been another time of year.
    Yes, I agree that is why the impact of this has been deferred. But those 2 weeks are now up and we are not close to getting back to normal.
  • Options
    RobD said:

First time I've ever said it. We are about to see what happens when a deep and complex crisis occurs on the watch of a government sorely lacking in competence. Such a combination is unique in modern times.
  • Options
    Graphic of how cases have evolved outside China
    https://public.flourish.studio/visualisation/1477361/embed?auto=1
  • Options
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    On free speech it's interesting how things have flipped since the 1960s when you could usually count on conservatives to be more in favour of limiting it than liberals with people like Mary Whitehouse campaigning to restrict free speech.
  • Options

Chameleon said:

Sandpit said:

Total and utter Shi’ite.

Yeah, I guess that the main upside of our testing and containment programme is that it gives us more time to prepare and source equipment before it cuts loose. And of course we'll have data from France and Germany (who seem to be 4-7 days ahead of us on community spread) to inform out triage and quarantine approach, plus of course those crucial few days closer to summer.
  • Options
    eadric said:

IanB2 said:

eadric said:

IanB2 said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

The likely.

Iper 1992?

5 years...5 monthsreason.
    for it.
    This.
    I wouldone.
    We couldwar.

Have you deyour absurd panicking?
    Listen: I e all in the same boat.

Experience suggests that spending a lot of time on google isn’t a good way to arrive at a balanced judgement.

You haven’t been right about anything so far (apart from selling shares, advice echoed by many, myself included). It’s too early to tell.

Try and act the responsible citizen. You know you didn’t have Coronavirus, and panicked unnecessarily. At least you can be honest about that,
    You want reassurance?

OK, I can do that. The honest answer (you can choose whether to believe me), is that I suspect I did have it. My unusual symptoms ticked the boxes, hence the reaction of PHE: go straight to hospital, right now, get tested, we've arranged it for you.: Then came the confusion....

But I cannot know if I had it, and my belief may be warped by the fact that if I DID have it, I have some immunity now. It may be wishful thinking.

So let's say, for argument's sake, that I DID have it. What is it like? Weirdly, not that bad. Not as bad as normal flu (which I have also had) which is completely horrid and makes you bedridden. With this bug it fluctuates, you can feel normal one minute, then fairly ghastly the next, but then almost normal again for a few more hours. You're not permanently bed-ridden.

This fits the medical analysis that for most people it is mild, if not unnoticeable.

As I understand it, the problems come with a second wave, when the virus goes into attack again (if you haven't shaken it off).

I hope that helps.
    If you had it, then you should be reassuring people that the end of the world isn’t nigh.

But I strongly suspect that you didn’t have it. The timing would have put you right at the front end of cases outside China, which is hardly credible. The NHS response - even as described from your own partial viewpoint - suggests that they didn’t really take you seriously. And your long track record on PB as our Panicky Wuss Zero speaks for itself.

Sorry.

As for financial markets, that’s a different question. There are a lot of people like you out there.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,833

Sandpit said:

Total and utter Shi’ite.

Wait, the entirety of the UK will work from home for two months?

I work in technology, that's no issue for me. But it's surely going to fuck other industries.
    I suspect that I will not be working from home!

Indeed both Mrs Foxy and I are likely to be quite occupied there.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

RobD said:

First time I've ever said it. We are about to see what happens when a deep and complex crisis occurs on the watch of a government sorely lacking in competence. Such a combination is unique in modern times.
    Is this satire?

I suspect that if eadric et al. are right then then the government will likely get a pass based on it being a proper black swan.
  • Options
    eadric said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Apparently in terms of manufacturing one of the benefits of the virus hitting at Chinese New Year is that most companies had already stockpiled for the 2 week or so shutdown / slowdown due to the holidays, and so the supply chain isn't quite as badly hit as if it had been another time of year.
    Yes, I agree that is why the impact of this has been deferred. But those 2 weeks are now up and we are not close to getting back to normal.
    You may have answered my question earlier, but I did not see it.

Can you tell me why you are less pessimistic about the health effects of all this?

Honest query! It would be nice to hear something cheerful.
    The economic effects are going to be greater than the health ones

Furthermore, I am not one to pander to doom and gloom predictions
  • Options
    eadric said:

IanB2 said:

Sean_F said:

Chameleon said:

Sandpit said:

Total and utter Shi’ite.

What is it with you Seans? Even the other Sean is ‘only’ predicting 3% (2 million).
    Who is fear mongering here? I am not *definitely* predicting any such thing. There is a range of outcomes.

Just a quick smile at your responding to a comment aimed at the other Sean ;)
  • Options
    Germany latest update:
    Baden-Württemberg 15
    Bavaria 23
    Bremen 1
    Hamburg 1
    Hesse 8
    Lower Saxony 1
    Northrhine-Westphalia 74
    Rhineland-Palatinate 2
    Schleswig-Holstein 2
    Repatriates 2
    Total 129

NRW has blown up exceptionally quickly.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,005
    Must be a hell of a party at White Hart Lane... losing to Wolves has dented The Arsenal's hopes of finishing in the top 5!!
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,147
    Andy_JS said:

"Yes, we are facing an epidemic – but it is one of panic and self-flagellation
    JANET DALEY" (£)

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/02/29/coronavirus-climate-medieval-thinking-has-triggered-epidemic/

Statistically it's quite likely that at least one prominent commentator saying such things will die from coronavirus.
  • Options
    eadric said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Can you tell me why you are less pessimistic about the health effects of all this?

I did answer it. I said:

We've discussed this before. In Wuhan the infection rate is something like 5%. The death rate is maybe 2% and its a lot less everywhere else where modern medical facilities are available. Singapore has shown that it is possible to prevent the spread of this condition by diligent follow up of infections. So far the NHS is world leading in testing and monitoring. Assuming these defences are eventually overcome we are probably looking at fatalities similar in scale to a bad flu outbreak. Very unfortunate for those (mainly elderly and sick) who succumb but of no great materiality for those who don't.

• Options
    Gabs3Gabs3 Posts: 836
    kinabalu said:
    The danger for Trump is when people start dying in large numbers. People will lose loved one and will be looking for someone to blame. The guy in charge of the response that called it a hoax will be the primary party to do that to.
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    As someone has been diagnosed with Coronavirus in Essex, if I decide to identify as an East Londoner am I safe?
  • Options
    Good header, btw, and timely. Too much moaning going on about "free speech".

Although I would of course fight to the death for the right of people to moan as much as they like about it.

Well I wouldn't, but you know what I mean.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,144
    isam said:

As someone has been diagnosed with Coronavirus in Essex, if I decide to identify as an East Londoner am I safe?

Not in North Korea, no.....
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    DavidL said:

eadric said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

I did answer it. I said:

Your numbers are a bit off.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/coronavirus-death-rate/#nhc

Mortality rate in Wuhan was 4.9%.
    Mortality rate in the Hubei Province was 3.1%.
    Mortality rate nationwide was 2.1%.
    Fatality rate in other provinces was 0.16%.

Generally as long as one receives adequate medical care, and has no pre-existing vulnerabilities, they would be exceptionally unlikely to die. The issue comes that when there is no adequate care the mortality rate skyrockets to 5%+.

At what point do we reach that point, given the localised nature of people getting ill? Maybe 20-30k total simultaneous cases, if not substantially less.
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    eadric said:

IanB2 said:

eadric said:

IanB2 said:

eadric said:

IanB2 said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

The likely.

Iper 1992?

for it.
    This.
    I wouldone.
    We couldwar.

You want reassurance?

OK, I ca

I hope that helps.
    If you had it, then you should be reassuring people that the end of the world isn’t nigh.

But I strongly suspect that you didn’t have it. The timing would have put you right at the front end of cases outside China, which is hardly credible. The NHS response - even as described from your own partial viewpoint - suggests that they didn’t really take you seriously. And your long track record on PB as our Panicky Wuss Zero speaks for itself.

Sorry.

As for financial markets, that’s a different question. There are a lot of people like you out there.
    This is the last time we will discuss this, or I will become irritated with you, once again. Which is a waste of energy right now.

After I discharged myself from the hospital - with UCL and PHE still arguing about me - I went home, and thought, well that's that. I'll get better, and hear no more of it.

The next day a doctor from my GP called (something which has never happened before) and urgently asked me to self isolate. That indicates to me that their concerns were real.

And now, let's draw a final line under this. You are free to believe what you like.

It was the safest thing to advise, when faced with a panicking idiot like you. They were simply covering their backs.

Not wasting your energy would be good advice.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,880
    edited March 2020
    Italy is about two weeks ahead of us, France and Germany one week.

And yet in neither of those countries am I reading about widespread panic, societal breakdown, looting, people being welded into their apartamentos etc.

Keep calm, carry on and wash your hands.

• Options
    edited March 2020
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,554
    edited March 2020
    Gabs3 said:

kinabalu said:
    The danger for Trump is when people start dying in large numbers. People will lose loved one and will be looking for someone to blame. The guy in charge of the response that called it a hoax will be the primary party to do that to.
    I hope that you would be correct in such circumstances, but fear that Trump could easily persuade his supporters that immigration and globalisation, and the open US borders, are the problem. His administration could also quite easily use a pandemic to excuse all sorts of actions in terms of security and the economy that might boost his chances. If it's really bad the election itself could be materially affected, the Americans seem to have enough trouble voting in normal times, amid a pandemic where all sorts of extreme measures are active it might really skew the vote.

One thing is certain, Trump and the GOP are not above using the spread of the coronavirus to help get him re-elected.
  • Options
    eadric said:

eadric said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

The economic effects are going to be greater than the health ones

Furthermore, I am not one to pander to doom and gloom predictions
    Why do you believe that, about economic harm versus health issues?
    Because I believe the virus will not be as deadly as doomsters are predicting and the measures to contain it will cause medium term economic harm across the globe
  • Options
    TimTTimT Posts: 6,328

IanB2 said:

There is a review of face masks on the BMJ from a few years ago. Only a few trials but some evidence that they, the proper masks not the cloth ones, reduce the risk of infection in a community setting. So there is that. Plus the fact that everyone in a clinical environment is being fit tested for masks. Why would every major country adopt what is essentially an unhelpful policy? Unlikely. So I'm of the view that a properly fitted, high grade mask for trips out will reduce your risk.

The public health message that face masks don't work sounds like a purposeful myth designed to a) stop people fighting over these items and any fear associated with not having one; b) prevent a moral hazard occurring whereby people with masks stop helpful behaviour such as washing hands; c) cognisant that your average Jo's masks is unlikely to be well fitted or of sufficient quality to be of use; d) protect stock for HCPs.

I bet some people during WW2 genuinely believed that eating carrots improved their eyesight.

Masks convey little benefit and, improperly used as they mostly are by untrained members of the public, may well do more harm than good, since keep touching your mask to adjust it - as most of us untrained folks tend to do - makes it a risk rather than a precaution.

At least we aren’t doing what many Iranians are doing - according to this lunchtime’s R4 news - and going to lick the shrines of Islamic holy men to demonstrate our faith in our religion’s ability to save us. People queuing to lick the same stone as hundreds of people before them is hardly optimum right now.
    Good for you but I don't agree on the masks and have explained why.

I agree on the Iranians.
    Masks work in limited contexts, such as laboratory workers and healthcare professionals who are more likely to be exposed than others. They do not work when misused. In addition to the misuses Ian lists, there is the additional one of people wearing them too long, when they become saturated with moisture from exhaled breath and thereafter become aerosol generators.

If masks end up in short supply and widely used by the public, it is almost a given that many people will wear their masks longer than they should and hence become aerosol generators. This, combined with their own misplaced confidence in the protection, will, IMO, have a major deleterious affect on the overall public health outcome - as you'll have unprotected people acting as if they are protected all the while that they have turned themselves into efficient aerosol generators.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Sean_F said:

Chameleon said:

Sandpit said:

Total and utter Shi’ite.

Oh, I'm not expecting anything like that. I just think it's interesting to imagine what it would be like.

I'm not expecting anything on the scale of the Spanish flu of 1918/19 either.
  • Options
    eadric said:

IanB2 said:

eadric said:

IanB2 said:

eadric said:

IanB2 said:

eadric said:

IanB2 said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

The likely.

Iper 1992?

for it.
    This.
    I wouldone.
    We couldwar.

hat,
    You want reassurance?

OK, I ca

I hope that helps.

Sorry.

This is the last time we will discuss this, or I will become irritated with you, once again. Which is a waste of energy right now.

After I discharged myself from the hospital - with UCL and PHE still arguing about me - I went home, and thought, well that's that. I'll get better, and hear no more of it.

The next day a doctor from my GP called (something which has never happened before) and urgently asked me to self isolate. That indicates to me that their concerns were real.

And now, let's draw a final line under this. You are free to believe what you like.

It was the safest thing to advise, when faced with a panicking idiot like you. They were simply covering their backs.

Not wasting your energy would be good advice.
    You're scared and angry. I get it. Enough now.
    Not so much. I have a trip arranged to the Bergamo area of Italy for May, which I I’d quite like to make. I haven’t cancelled, let’s see what happens, Meanwhile I am following the panic with sufficient interest to try and make a call on how it will affect financial markets, having made a handsome profit from doing so last week. Angry; at what?
  • Options
    eadric said:

This, inter alia, is one reason I think Brexit might end up being paused.

Yes, will Johnson really walk out of talks and refuse to extend the transition if we're in the midst of a serious health crisis? It would make him look like a crazed ideologue.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,072
    eadric said:

Chameleon said:

DavidL said:

eadric said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

I did answer it. I said:

We've discusserly and sick) who succumb but of no great materiality for those who don't.

Generally as long as one receives adequate medical care, and has no pre-existing vulnerabilities, they would be exceptionally unlikely to die. The issue comes that when there is no adequate care the mortality rate skyrockets to 5%+.

At what point do we reach that point, given the localised nature of people getting ill? Maybe 20-30k total simultaneous cases, if not substantially less.
    Yes, that's the tipping point.

Basically, the government needs to pouring all its money, time, resources and energy into the Health Service, because if it collapses, we're f*cked

I don't know if you missed this, but... errr... Brexit has already happened.

Now, could the implementation period be extended? Yes, that's a possible.
  • Options
    eadric said:

Chameleon said:

DavidL said:

eadric said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

I did answer it. I said:

We've discusserly and sick) who succumb but of no great materiality for those who don't.

Yes, that's the tipping point.

Basically, the government needs to pouring all its money, time, resources and energy into the Health Service, because if it collapses, we're f*cked

Brexit cannot be paused.

For the second time on this thread, we have left

You do not help your arguments
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,672
    The hyperbole is off the scale here this afternoon.
  • Options

eadric said:

Yes, will Johnson really walk out of talks and refuse to extend the transition if we're in the midst of a serious health crisis? It would make him look like a crazed ideologue.
    If the EU do not see sense then yes he will
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Essexit said:

Of course free speech is not consequence-free speech, but what about cases like Maya Forstater? She expressed views on a big issue of the day, made clear she was doing so in a personal capacity, and lost a job that had nothing to do with those views all the same. A judge then proclaimed that her views (i.e. biological sex is real, immutable, and important) were 'not worthy of respect in a democratic society' and her employers were within their rights to do as they had. Chilling.

She didn't lose a job, she was on a contract and didn't have her contract renewed.

Further more her job was to do fund raising which required making personal contact with hundreds of people, third parties personal opinion of her were hugely relevant to getting a new contract.

• Options

+1000
  • Options

+1000
    Not sure why, but that made me laugh. :D
  • Options
    eadric said:

Yes, that's what I mean. I should say "the Brexit process" perhaps. There is a reasonable chance it will be paused, as we deal with more pressing matters.

The idea we will want to put greater obstacles along supply chains even as these break down is fanciful, to me.

You just need to believe harder in Brexit.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,072
    eadric said:

Yes, that's what I mean. I should say "the Brexit process" perhaps. There is a reasonable chance it will be paused, as we deal with more pressing matters.

The idea we will want to put greater obstacles along supply chains even as these break down is fanciful, to me.

Yes, I think that's very plausible. (And probably wouldn't be a bad thing, reducing tension.)
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    IanB2 said:

IshmaelZ said:

IanB2 said:

Really? I thought you weren't panicking four weeks ago, and the markets certainly weren't, so why would you have done that?

Anyway the difference is that eadric persuaded me, correctly *and contemporaneously*, that the world was changing. You didn't.
  • Options
    RobD said:

+1000
    Not sure why, but that made me laugh. :D
    Maybe 10,000 even
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,459
    eadric said:

IanB2 said:

eadric said:

IanB2 said:

eadric said:

IanB2 said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

The likely.

Iper 1992?

for it.
    This.
    I wouldone.
    We couldwar.

You want reassurance?

OK, I ca

I hope that helps.

Sorry.

But you did get better...
  • Options

+1000
    Tell me that was a joke!!!
  • Options

People who spent the last 3 years catastrophising about Brexit had to find something to do.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,735
    edited March 2020
    Alistair said:

Essexit said:

She didn't lose a job, she was on a contract and didn't have her contract renewed.

Further more her job was to do fund raising which required making personal contact with hundreds of people, third parties personal opinion of her were hugely relevant to getting a new contract.

None of which factors are particularly relevant or should have an effect, unless the parties she was talking to were either incompetent or allowing their decisions to be coloured by personal prejudice.

Any competent funder or person making donations should be competent enough to distinguish between personal opinions of an employee and the organisation.

Anyhow, there is no shortage of concerning cases.
  • Options
    Gabs3 said:

The problem for Trump is he is hopelessly out of his depth in the job and this is going to expose that fact to the American public. The nature of the crisis and the timing in election year is terrible for him.
  • Options
    isam said:

+1000
    No. Comments on here today have been way off the scale of doom at times
  • Options

People who spent the last 3 years catastrophising about Brexit had to find something to do.
    The real question is this: if things really do go to pot, will they blame Brexit or coronavirus?
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Gabs3 said:

The problem for Trump is he is hopelessly out of his depth in the job and this is going to expose that fact to the American public. The nature of the crisis and the timing in election year is terrible for him.
    And the sad fact is the other options are useless as well
  • Options
    edited March 2020

isam said:

+1000
    No. Comments on here today have been way off the scale of doom at times
    I know, but reacting to

"The hyperbole is off the scale here this afternoon."

with

"+1000"

rather than "+1" IS a funny joke!

Unintended obviously, oh well
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,436
    rcs1000 said:

eadric said:

Yes, I think that's very plausible. (And probably wouldn't be a bad thing, reducing tension.)
    A new transition needs to agreed urgently, as I posted last week.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Essexit said:

So if she'd expressed stridently Remain opinions, or pro-Labour opinions, would it have been alright for the CGD to not renew her contract on those grounds? After all, a lot of people would disagree with her.
  • Options
    eadric said:

rcs1000 said:

eadric said:

I see your neighbourhood has started to panic

https://twitter.com/HotpageNews/status/1234163447937499136?s=20
    I'm rather proud of the fact that we haven't succumbed to panic buying in this country so far.
This discussion has been closed.