Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Free speech, one each. The myth of the oppressed rightwinger a

SystemSystem Posts: 11,018
edited March 2020 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Free speech, one each. The myth of the oppressed rightwinger and what it tells us about politics today

This is a good thing (from Toby Young's Free Speech Union) pic.twitter.com/OffFpulsB2

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,551
    Is this a new thread?’
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Is this a new thread?’

Yes. Well I hope so.
  • Options
    With the right of free speech comes responsibilities and that's why we limit it, so we punish people who say 'Kill all the Jews' or those that falsely yell 'Fire' in a crowded theatre.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,387
    edited March 2020
    Has any goalkeeper had a larger decline so rapidly than David De Gea?

https://twitter.com/SkySportsPL/status/1234118457291165696

He's nearly as bad as Pickford.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,269
    Coronavirus started 3 months ago today in Wuhan.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,725

I wonder what evidence Sir Philip Rutnam has of bullying. And how much it will be considered worth paying for it not to be aired in public proceedings.

I suspect it is more a case of:

"Minister, there is a way of doing things in the Home Office. It has served us for generations. And what you are suggesting - well, it just isn't done...."

"Well, it fookin' is now! Do as you're told!"

*Collapse in a fit of the vapours, followed by a call to a chum at the Beeb for live coverage of your resignation alleging bullying....*

Much as you would like to think otherwise, there is always the niggling doubt that some career civil servants might have a problem with taking orders from a woman.

And a woman of Asian heritage at that.....

*more fits of the vapours....*
    Multiple things can be true at once. He and his officials could have been overly obstructive and she could have behaved in a completely inappropriate way (you're example could be a case in point, as 'do as you are told' in that manner may not be appropriate if there are legitimate reasons why what is being instructed cannot be done as ministerial order cannot change reality. Equally, if all it is is her being a bit rude when he stalled in such a manner, she would be in a better position). And whether people think it would be someone having a fit of the vapours or whether they agree or disagree with any bureacratic obstruction will, I suspect, be largely irrelevant to an objective assessment of workplace behaviour.

What is abundantly clear, and no surprise, is that people have already decided what has gone on based on politics.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Is this a new thread?’

Yes. Well I hope so.
    Indeed it is, and an excellent header, to boot.
    (On my mobile, so initially barely legible...)
  • Options

You're answered your own quetion.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,387
    edited March 2020
    kle4 said:

Pickford was never any good, he saved a penalty in the world cup and people thought he was awesome, for a few seasons De Gea was the best keeper in the world.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,265
    eadric said:

Fpt for moonshine

+++

I’m kinda hoping I did have it, and now possess some sort of immunity. Bit selfish, but there we are.

It just doubled in Germany

https://twitter.com/breakinnewz1/status/1234115197134045184?s=21

More likely, you just wasted a lot of health professionals’ time, and the only thing you infected anyone with was your own panic.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

I wonder what evidence Sir Philip Rutnam has of bullying. And how much it will be considered worth paying for it not to be aired in public proceedings.

"Minister, there is a way of doing things in the Home Office. It has served us for generations. And what you are suggesting - well, it just isn't done...."

*Collapse in a fit of the vapours, followed by a call to a chum at the Beeb for live coverage of your resignation alleging bullying....*

Much as you would like to think otherwise, there is always the niggling doubt that some career civil servants might have a problem with taking orders from a woman.

Multiple things can be true at once. He and his officials could have been overly obstructive and she could have behaved in a completely inappropriate way (you're example could be a case in point, as 'do as you are told' in that manner may not be appropriate if there are legitimate reasons why what is being instructed cannot be done as ministerial order cannot change reality. Equally, if all it is is her being a bit rude when he stalled in such a manner, she would be in a better position). And whether people think it would be someone having a fit of the vapours or whether they agree or disagree with any bureacratic obstruction will, I suspect, be largely irrelevant to an objective assessment of workplace behaviour.

What is abundantly clear, and no surprise, is that people have already decided what has gone on based on politics.
    Some. I retain an open mind on the matter.
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    eadric said:

IanB2 said:

eadric said:

Fpt for moonshine

+++

I’m kinda hoping I did have it, and now possess some sort of immunity. Bit selfish, but there we are.

More likely, you just wasted a lot of health professionals’ time, and the only thing you infected anyone with was your own panic.
    As ever, you know better than the experts. In this case, Public Health England.

You’re a tiresome bore.
    Who sent you home and didn’t bother to test you.

You just want everyone else to panic so that you feel less guilty about being the first.
  • Options
    It is an important point that free speech includes freedom to accept consequences of that speech, and that there are people who use the former as an excuse when what they clearly want is the latter.

I like the point about 'free listening', with the public domain a series of heavily defended rival fortresses. I'm sure we all have a tendency to give in to that, but some are fully immersed in it. And the sad thing is it's not just people we disagree with who do it, but many we agree with. It can be incredibly frustrating to agree with the position someone has but they put it in such a rigid way, or intolerant of others beyond merely seeking that someone saying something we disagree with should receive reasonable consequence.

My favourite line of this was this though:

You’re not going to be able to raid your opponents’ best ideas if you’re not listening to them at all.

I also heartily endorse the use of the term snowflake to refer to people on the right as well as the left. I think it is a useful term (if like many others prone to overuse) and applicable widely.
  • Options
    I feel like I walked into an argument here, somebody here has the Coronavirus?
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

kle4 said:

Some. I retain an open mind on the matter.
    Yes, some, you are quite right. Not all. Most? Uncertain.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,623
    FPT:
    nichomar said:

eadric said:

eadric said:
    Of the 12, 11 have had known exposure - from already infected in the UK or travel to Italy & Iran. Only one is from an unknown source. When that becomes half a dozen or a dozen unknown sources, then we’re in trouble.
    Um, do you really honestly believe that what you describe might NOT happen?

Viruses have a remorseless logic of their own. We will not be freakishly immune, and different to France, Germany, Italy, Korea, etc, where this exact same process is unfolding, the only difference is that they are further down the line than us.
    Given the relative rates of testing I suspect we’re better informed than they are. Since the objective is to flatten the curve we’re in better shape than many.
    I very much doubt the UK is doing anything different to most European countries.
    We're testing a lot more. The last date there were comparable figures (26 Feb) the UK had tested 7,132 and France 762.

Today the UK's test total is 11,750.

The only European country with comparable testing on available data is Italy, with 9,462 tests on 26 Feb - no doubt they've done more, since the 470 positive at the time is now 1,128.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,331
    edited March 2020
    Broadly agree with Alastair, especially the "free listening" comment. I used to know a Danish Supreme Court judge who subscribed to a newspaper that he normally disagreed with, so that he could challenge himself every day. That's a bit of a tall order but I think we should all try to read a serious piece that we expect to disagree with (because of the auhor or the headline/presentation) at least once a week.

An occupational hazard is that you become unsure of anything, but maybe we overrate the importance of being certain that we're right, since certainty is so rarely justified in reality.
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    eadric said:

IanB2 said:

eadric said:

IanB2 said:

eadric said:

Fpt for moonshine

+++

You’re a tiresome bore.

You just want everyone else to panic so that you feel less guilty about being the first.
    They didn’t send me home you cretin. They were very keen for me to stay and be tested. But they f*cked up the messaging to the hospital, who put me in isolation but couldn’t find anyone to test me (it was Sunday night). The argument between PHE and UCLH went on for six hours, fruitlessly, so in the end I just gave up and went home, not least because I was a potential danger to others.

Then my GP told me to self isolate, so I did.

Is that all clear? Now I suggest we stop this debate because, my God, you’re as dim as you are tedious.
    Yes, it’s tedious being confronted with logic when all you want to do is try and stir everyone up into the same hyperventilated mental state as your own, isn’t it?

Unlike your previous PB wussyfits, this time we will, in time, get an answer.

You’ve repeatedly posted your calculations showing that two million Brits will die of Corona in the next twelve months. Scale back your hyperbole and let’s settle on a figure of half a million. If in early 2021 you are proved right, and assuming both you and I escape being among the half million, you can claim your due credit.

If however the eventual death rate falls into the order of magnitude only several times worse than normal winter flu, we’ll all be able to see how deeply irresponsible have been your posts and predictions these recent weeks.
  • Options
    It's so heated in here lol, never change PB
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,239
    A good piece @AlastairMeeks . Very hard to disagree with.

Free speech does not equal consequence free speech. Those that make anti-semetic comments, deride the poor, make racist comments about immigrants or even just demonstrate an irrational hatred for supporters of other parties really can't complain if all decent minded people think less of them and give less weight to their views on anything else.

In this country we have major problems with homelessness, drug deaths, the fragility of gig employment and people excluded from the opportunities this society offers. We have even bigger problems with global warming, energy security, infrastructure and, oh yes, there is a virus popping up as well. Few governments have had such busy in trays and I am not completely convinced there is enough talent in this government to deal with it.
  • Options
    edited March 2020

An occupational hazard is that you become unsure of anything, but maybe we overrate the importance of being certain that we're right, since certainty is so rarely justified in reality.

It's a difficult balance I suppose. Those who are certain and driven can sweep others along with them and succeed when it seems like they should not because of the doubts and uncertainties ranged against them. It's why when someone acts like they are awesome despite whateer scorn we may have we tend to believe them at least in part. Yet being so closed of mind cannot be healthy in the long run.

Also, 'used to know a Danish Supreme Court Judge'? Who are you, Charles? :)
  • Options

It's so heated in here lol, never change PB

More heat than light?
  • Options
    The left is already losing if they think that free speech is a right wing issue.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,204

@eadric felt ill after a trip to the Far East iirc. I don't think it was ever established what he had in the end, but as you can see he is still posting.
  • Options
    Telegraph:

Keith Neal, emeritus professor of epidemiology of infectious diseases, University of Nottingham, said:

We know there are a lot of cases in Italy and Iran. A second case without known contact shows that the current surveillance for cases without a travel history or a history of close contact is working. It also suggests that Covid-19 may have more cases with mild or no symptoms than the Chinese data suggests.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,283
    eadric said:

IanB2 said:

eadric said:

IanB2 said:

eadric said:

Fpt for moonshine

+++

You’re a tiresome bore.

They didn’t send me home you cretin. They were very keen for me to stay and be tested. But they f*cked up the messaging to the hospital, who put me in isolation but couldn’t find anyone to test me (it was Sunday night). The argument between PHE and UCLH went on for six hours, fruitlessly, so in the end I just gave up and went home, not least because I was a potential danger to others.

Is that all clear? Now I suggest we stop this debate because, my God, you’re as dim as you are tedious.
    Jesus what a sad fuck you are. You actually went to the NHS for your paranoid fucked up-ness?

You absolute twat just wasting resources but wait you didn't care enough because you know you are just indulging your panic so you "just gave up". Not the actions of someone who actually is worried.

And with all your wealth and newly released cash from your equities sell off you didn't go privately. Have you done since?

You are loathsome. You were quite a funny and polished wordsmith but you have forsaken any right to respect.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

Broadly agree with Alastair, especially the "free listening" comment. I used to know a Danish Supreme Court judge who subscribed to a newspaper that he normally disagreed with, so that he could challenge himself every day. That's a bit of a tall order but I think we should all try to read a serious piece that we expect to disagree with (because of the auhor or the headline/presentation) at least once a week.

I used to regularly read James Delingpole to challenge myself. I eventually twigged he was a thin skinned troll who loved to dish it out but couldn't take it. Whining about being silenced from his regular newspaper column.

His descent has between pretty impressive.
  • Options
    eadric said:

IanB2 said:

eadric said:

IanB2 said:

eadric said:

IanB2 said:

eadric said:

http

You’re a tiresome bore.

They pous.
    Yes, it’s tedious being confronted with logic when all you want to do is try and stir everyone up into the same hyperventilated mental state as your own, isn’t it?

You’ve repeatedly posted your calculations showing that two million Brits will die of Corona in the next twelve months. Scale back your hyperbole and let’s settle on a figure of half a million. If in early 2021 you are proved right, and assuming both you and I escape being among the half million, you can claim your due credit.

If however the eventual death rate falls into the order of magnitude only several times worse than normal winter flu, we’ll all be able to see how deeply irresponsible have been your posts and predictions these recent weeks.
    I have consistently said the higher numbers are worst case scenario, which by definition means highly unlikely. But possible.

You have consistently been a flailing moron, pinballing between panic, denial, fear, bogus nonchalance, fake confidence, tedious screeds about your f*cking investments, and a general projection of deep personal inadequacy.

I suggest we end the debate there?
    You have consistently tried to stir up panic on this site by posting your hourly predictions of doom.

Meanwhile I have been provided good advance advice on betting the financial markets this last week that would have made a handsome profit for anyone that cared to follow it.

Either you have actually HAD Coronavirus, and recovered from what appears to have been a relatively modest illness. In which case you are ideally positioned to reassure people that, for the majority of the population, it isn’t actually that bad. And, with your immunity, you have no need to be hiding indoors stocking up on canned food.

Or, alternatively, you know that you panicked when you really had just a common cold, wasted a lot of medical professionals’ time, have no immunity, and simply worked yourself into a flap from which you are now struggling to escape.

It has to be one of the other. My money is on the second.

From the way you are behaving, I think yours is also.
  • Options

With the right of free speech comes responsibilities and that's why we limit it, so we punish people who say 'Kill all the Jews' or those that falsely yell 'Fire' in a crowded theatre.

The limits are there and needed, must be careful of creep though. Malicious communications offences are used to prosecute for things that really they shouldnt be.

Encouraging others to commit crimes, or inciting hatred are fare game for legal consequences and have been for a long time. But expressing controversial opinions however not so. Incitement has a very high bar for prosecution.

this example on the face of it is appalling:
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-merseyside-43816921

• Options
    It will be very relieving to have a Labour leader who can skewer Johnson on detail.

The honeymoon is surely over.
  • Options
    eadric said:

IanB2 said:

eadric said:

IanB2 said:

eadric said:

Fpt for moonshine

+++

You’re a tiresome bore.

in the end I just gave up and went home, not least because I was a potential danger to others.
    You were more of a danger to others in isolation than you were on your journey home? On public transport?
  • Options

It will be very relieving to have a Labour leader who can skewer Johnson on detail.

Yes to the first, not so sure on the second. With someone like Johnson skewering him on detail helps, but I don't know if by itself it is sufficient. It's not as though he's ever been concerned with getting the details right.
  • Options

The honeymoon has been extended. He's getting married and having a child. It's a universal for people without an axe to grind to feel positive about such events.
  • Options
    I genuinely think Starmer is the best candidate - but I hope he appoints a decent SC to go alongside him. Keep JC and the Corbynites away please - I speak as a member formally of the cult.

Depending on whether the public is looking for serious politicians again or not, I suspect will be answered in 2024.

What will the impact of a hypothetical Sanders win do for Starmer do we think?
  • Options
    Government lawyers are assessing the possibility of delaying the local authority, mayoral and police and crime commissioner elections in May if the coronavirus outbreak continues to escalate, the Guardian can disclose.

Matt Hancock, the health secretary, said on Sunday the government was considering all options, from closing schools to isolating entire cities if Covid-19 became a pandemic. He said ministers would publish a plan this week to explain how they may tackle such an event.

An email sent to board members of the Association of Police and Crime Commissioners on Saturday by its chief executive, Susannah Hancock, reveals that these measures would also include potentially delaying the forthcoming elections.

She said that the Home Office, in discussions with the Cabinet Office, had sought legal advice on postponing the elections.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/01/local-elections-could-be-delayed-by-coronavirus-outbreak
  • Options
    eadric said:

TOPPING said:

eadric said:

IanB2 said:

eadric said:

IanB2 said:

eadric said:

Fpt for moonshine

+++

You’re a tiresome bore.

Jesus what a sad fuck you are. You actually went to the NHS for your paranoid fucked up-ness?

You absolute twat just wasting resources but wait you didn't care enough because you know you are just indulging your panic so you "just gave up". Not the actions of someone who actually is worried.

And with all your wealth and newly released cash from your equities sell off you didn't go privately. Have you done since?

You are loathsome. You were quite a funny and polished wordsmith but you have forsaken any right to respect.
    Point of order. I was TOLD to go to hospital by PHE. I didn’t want to go. They basically ordered me to go, because they were concerned. This was the expert microbiologist telling me what to do, as a decent British citizen.

Just want to make that clear.
    Nope sorry doesn't fly.
  • Options
    eadric said:

IanB2 said:

eadric said:

IanB2 said:

eadric said:

IanB2 said:

eadric said:

IanB2 said:

eadric said:

http

You’re a tiresome bore.
    Who sent you h
    You just want everyone else to panic about being the first.
    They pous.

redit.

I have consistently said the higher numbers are worst case scenario, which by definition means highly unlikely. But possible.

You have consistently been a flailing moron, pinballing between panic, denial, fear, bogus nonchalance, fake confidence, tedious screeds about your f*cking investments, and a general projection of deep personal inadequacy.

I suggest we end the debate there?
    You have consistently tried to stir up panic on this site by posting your hourly predictions of doom.

Meanwhile I have been provided good advance advice on betting the financial markets this last week that would have made a handsome profit for anyone that cared to follow it.

Either you have actually HAD Coronavirus, and recovered from what appears to have been a relatively modest illness. In which case you are ideally positioned to reassure people that, for the majority of the population, it isn’t actually that bad. And, with your immunity, you have no need to be hiding indoors stocking up on canned food.

Or, alternatively, you know that you panicked when you really had just a common cold, wasted a lot of medical professionals’ time, have no immunity, and simply worked yourself into a flap from which you are now struggling to escape.

It has to be one of the other. My money is on the second.

From the way you are behaving, I think yours is also.
    lol
    Lol being shorthand for actually you’d rather duck the question,

As Topping says, your posts on this issue have from the beginning been shameful.
  • Options
    eadric said:

TOPPING said:

eadric said:

TOPPING said:

eadric said:

IanB2 said:

eadric said:

IanB2 said:

eadric said:

Fpt for moonshine

+++

You’re a tiresome bore.

Point of order. I was TOLD to go to hospital by PHE. I didn’t want to go. They basically ordered me to go, because they were concerned. This was the expert microbiologist telling me what to do, as a decent British citizen.

Nope sorry doesn't fly.
    I wasn’t apologising.
    I didn't think you were.

You were worried enough to be in touch with PHE but it was all bollocks because when it came down to it you didn't really think you were ill.

Or you would have gone to a private clinic on Monday morning.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

eadric said:

TOPPING said:

eadric said:

IanB2 said:

eadric said:

IanB2 said:

eadric said:

Fpt for moonshine

+++

You’re a tiresome bore.

Nope sorry doesn't fly.
    Any PB regular knows that he’s a drama queen. By the sound of it, it didn’t take the NHS that long to work out the same.

The alternative being to believe that Sean is actually UK Patient Zero.
  • Options
    This is absolutely comical, I am in tears
  • Options
    GideonWiseGideonWise Posts: 1,123
    There is a review of face masks on the BMJ from a few years ago. Only a few trials but some evidence that they, the proper masks not the cloth ones, reduce the risk of infection in a community setting. So there is that. Plus the fact that everyone in a clinical environment is being fit tested for masks. Why would every major country adopt what is essentially an unhelpful policy? Unlikely. So I'm of the view that a properly fitted, high grade mask for trips out will reduce your risk.

The public health message that face masks don't work sounds like a purposeful myth designed to a) stop people fighting over these items and any fear associated with not having one; b) prevent a moral hazard occurring whereby people with masks stop helpful behaviour such as washing hands; c) cognisant that your average Jo's masks is unlikely to be well fitted or of sufficient quality to be of use; d) protect stock for HCPs.

I bet some people during WW2 genuinely believed that eating carrots improved their eyesight.
  • Options
    eadric said:

I see civil strife has already hit PB

I’ve realised who you are, you’re not SeanT, you’re that alcoholic preacher from Zulu yelling ‘death awaits you.’

https://youtu.be/o8tz2jhRAC8
  • Options
    eadric said:

TOPPING said:

eadric said:

TOPPING said:

eadric said:

TOPPING said:

eadric said:

IanB2 said:

eadric said:

IanB2 said:

eadric said:

Fpt for moonshine

+++

You’re a tiresome bore.

They didn’t send me home you cretin. They were very keen for me to stay and be tested. But they f*cked upnd I just gave up and went home, not least because I was a potential danger to others.

Nope sorry doesn't fly.
    I wasn’t apologising.
    I didn't think you were.

You were worried enough to be in touch with PHE but it was all bollocks because when it came down to it you didn't really think you were ill.

Whatever.

Listen, it’s understandable that you’re emotional and fearful and lashing out, you’re at the Anger Stage of Kubler Ross.

But I’m not sure this angry debate benefits anyone else.
    Since when did you start worrying about whether your contributions benefit anyone else?
  • Options
    eadric said:

TOPPING said:

eadric said:

TOPPING said:

eadric said:

TOPPING said:

eadric said:

IanB2 said:

eadric said:

IanB2 said:

eadric said:

Fpt for moonshine

+++

You’re a tiresome bore.

They to others.

Nope sorry doesn't fly.
    I wasn’t apologising.
    I didn't think you were.

Whatever.

Listen, it’s understandable that you’re emotional and fearful and lashing out, you’re at the Anger Stage of Kubler Ross.

But I’m not sure this angry debate benefits anyone else.
    You took up valuable public resource to indulge your fantasy which is bad enough

But you can afford not to. Which is worse.

I'm done with you
  • Options

@eadric felt ill after a trip to the Far East iirc. I don't think it was ever established what he had in the end, but as you can see he is still posting.
    Eadric had a case of common cold exacerbated by severe googleitis
  • Options
    isam said:

Too many people are breaking their necks to be offended, and are intolerant of behaviour from people they disagree with that they exhibit themselves and expect toleration of.

It's frankly tedious. I enjoy a good insult as much as most but jeez, enough.
  • Options
    eadric said:

I see civil strife has already hit PB

You're new here, I take it?
  • Options

There is a review of face masks on the BMJ from a few years ago. Only a few trials but some evidence that they, the proper masks not the cloth ones, reduce the risk of infection in a community setting. So there is that. Plus the fact that everyone in a clinical environment is being fit tested for masks. Why would every major country adopt what is essentially an unhelpful policy? Unlikely. So I'm of the view that a properly fitted, high grade mask for trips out will reduce your risk.

The public health message that face masks don't work sounds like a purposeful myth designed to a) stop people fighting over these items and any fear associated with not having one; b) prevent a moral hazard occurring whereby people with masks stop helpful behaviour such as washing hands; c) cognisant that your average Jo's masks is unlikely to be well fitted or of sufficient quality to be of use; d) protect stock for HCPs.

I bet some people during WW2 genuinely believed that eating carrots improved their eyesight.

Masks convey little benefit and, improperly used as they mostly are by untrained members of the public, may well do more harm than good, since keep touching your mask to adjust it - as most of us untrained folks tend to do - makes it a risk rather than a precaution.

At least we aren’t doing what many Iranians are doing - according to this lunchtime’s R4 news - and going to lick the shrines of Islamic holy men to demonstrate our faith in our religion’s ability to save us. People queuing to lick the same stone as hundreds of people before them is hardly optimum right now.
  • Options
    How has everyone been since the election, I haven't been round these parts much
  • Options
    On topic, the big problem that this piece doesn't mention is offence archaeology - the new tendency to go through the internet history of anyone who gets a public job and look for something that can be taken out of context and spun in the worst possible way.

Look at Toby Young. Yes he said some bad things on Twitter but most of these were around 10 years before he was fired. Is it not possible that in the intervening time he grew up a bit and became a better person?

We here a lot of talk about rehabilitation but there is no rehabilitation on social media:

Take two examples:

A teenager steals from a shop. He is punished and learns the error of his ways. His conviction eventually becomes spent (the state more or less forgets)

A teenager writes something offensive on social media. He grows up and comes to regret it but it can never be forgotten and it prevents him from getting a job.

Is this fair?

The other issue is that social media becomes judge and jury. There is no room for mitigating circumstances. Toby Young may have done some good work founding free schools since he wrote the offensive tweets but this counted for nothing.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Masks convey little benefit and, improperly used as they mostly are by untrained members of the public, may well do more harm than good, since keep touching your mask to adjust it - as most of us untrained folks tend to do - makes it a risk rather than a precaution.

At least we aren’t doing what many Iranians are doing - according to this lunchtime’s R4 news - and going to lick the shrines of Islamic holy men to demonstrate our faith in our religion’s ability to save us. People queuing to lick the same stone as hundreds of people before them is hardly optimum right now.
    Yet more evidence of Darwinism.
  • Options
    If the locals do get postponed then it seems likely the Eurovision a week later also gets postponed.

They need to find a cure for Covid-19 NOW.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    IanB2 said:

Any PB regular knows that he’s a drama queen. By the sound of it, it didn’t take the NHS that long to work out the same.

It does seem to me that eadric is in the position of someone on 15/4/12 pointing out in relatively measured terms that the ship has actually hit an iceberg, is actually sinking, and that there are actually not enough lifeboats. The suggestion that seeking advice from PHE, and following it, is the wrong thing to do sets a new standard of batshittery (not to say irresponsibility).

And his advice four weeks ago to get out of equities was the most valuable I have ever acted on.
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    IanB2 said:

Good for you but I don't agree on the masks and have explained why.

I agree on the Iranians.
  • Options
    JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 6,010

Government lawyers are assessing the possibility of delaying the local authority, mayoral and police and crime commissioner elections in May if the coronavirus outbreak continues to escalate, the Guardian can disclose.

Matt Hancock, the health secretary, said on Sunday the government was considering all options, from closing schools to isolating entire cities if Covid-19 became a pandemic. He said ministers would publish a plan this week to explain how they may tackle such an event.

An email sent to board members of the Association of Police and Crime Commissioners on Saturday by its chief executive, Susannah Hancock, reveals that these measures would also include potentially delaying the forthcoming elections.

She said that the Home Office, in discussions with the Cabinet Office, had sought legal advice on postponing the elections.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/01/local-elections-could-be-delayed-by-coronavirus-outbreak

There is a need to review elections anyway. The December GE raised the issue that there is currently no contingency in the case of, for example, a major weather event. And in any case, why are LA elections held on the same day anyway? As long as they are held often enough, they should be able to hold them on any day they like.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,832
    Broadly I agree. If you dish it out, you have to be willing to take it. And, I don't think you've ever said anything worth saying if you haven't been insulted by Malcolmg for it, at least once.

I do however, get concerned about twitter mobs trying to hound people out of their jobs, or organise boycotts, for things that have been expressed outside of the workplace. Or people getting threatened with violence for their opinions.
  • Options

If the locals do get postponed then it seems likely the Eurovision a week later also gets postponed.

Never mind that, we have euro football championship this June/July.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,885
    As the thread started with Toby Young, here’s his own take on events:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=ioUAJUbhd4c
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    IshmaelZ said:

IanB2 said:

It does seem to me that eadric is in the position of someone on 15/4/12 pointing out in relatively measured terms that the ship has actually hit an iceberg, is actually sinking, and that there are actually not enough lifeboats. The suggestion that seeking advice from PHE, and following it, is the wrong thing to do sets a new standard of batshittery (not to say irresponsibility).

And his advice four weeks ago to get out of equities was the most valuable I have ever acted on.
    I agree selling equities recently was wise, and did so myself. Whether it was valuable advice in the medium term depends on what happens to the markets while you are out of them.

My advice - from last weekend onwards - to take sell positions on the Dow and FTSE, and sell GBP/CHF - would actually have delivered you a profit (rather than just an avoided loss) this week.
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    Blank
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

IanB2 said:

On here we have had denial and anger. It's depression next. Personally, I skipped anger and denial and went straight to depression.

I'm at acceptance now but some pb posters are close to dragging me towards anger. The masters of the universe on here are very testing.

• Options
    Sean_F said:

Broadly I agree. If you dish it out, you have to be willing to take it. And, I don't think you've ever said anything worth saying if you haven't been insulted by Malcolmg for it, at least once.

I do however, get concerned about twitter mobs trying to hound people out of their jobs, or organise boycotts, for things that have been expressed outside of the workplace. Or people getting threatened with violence for their opinions.

Yes, in general I think distaste for opinions should not be transferable into other areas, as otherwise it gets in the way of sensible cooperation. I've worked on an environmental project with someone who I knew to be a BNP member. It didn't seem relevant so I never raised it, nor did he.
  • Options

Nil desperandum, and welcome back!
  • Options
    isam said:

Too many people are breaking their necks to be offended, and are intolerant of behaviour from people they disagree with that they exhibit themselves and expect toleration of.

There is a wonderful passage in J G Farrell's Troubles about some English spinsters, marooned in the decaying grandeur of the Majestic hotel on the eve of Ireland's civil war going into the nearby town "looking for offence from the locals and largely being successful".
  • Options
    ChameleonChameleon Posts: 3,886
    edited March 2020
    Death count:

Spanish Flu: 50 million
    SARS: 800
    Smallpox: 500 million
    Polio: Millions?

We've past the point where this can be contained a la SARS.
  • Options
    MightyAlexMightyAlex Posts: 1,442
  • Options

There's also a large rally to announce the winner of the Labour leadership contest next month. It'd be unfortunate if we all died - have to repeat the contest and everything.
  • Options
    Chameleon said:

Death count:

Clearly a journalist put that graphic together.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Hang on, Iranians are doing WHAT???? :open_mouth:
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,962

Chameleon said:

Death count:

Clearly a journalist put that graphic together.
    As fatal as the spanish flu and is 25% more infectious? Time to panic. :D
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

IanB2 said:

It's all Shi'ite.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

IanB2 said:

Darwin awards making one hell of a comeback.
  • Options
    eadric said:

Blank

Kubler Ross doesn't *quite* match the mental processes here, I think. It's designed for grief, and this isn't exactly grief.

It is very similar tho. We are all emotionally adjusting: to the likelihood that something tremendously awful is about to happen.
    I know it doesn't quite but it's the best model we have so far. But I do peronsally feel like I am grieving for a world that is now fundamentally changed.

• Options
    The chances of a UK recession within the next five years I'd say are pretty likely.

I wonder if this will shred the Tory economic credentials as per 1992?
  • Options
    QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,949

It's mostly been arguing about how serious coronavirus will be with a large side order of investment advice. Tbh I've found the discussions mostly quite well evidenced and interesting, albeit rather repetitive.

On a different topic, can someone tell Chelsea/Spurs/Utd that just because City are banned doesn't mean 5th place is more valuable than 4th?
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

IanB2 said:

http://english.alarabiya.net/en/News/middle-east/2020/03/01/-Lick-the-shrine-challenge-in-Iran-goes-viral-despite-coronavirus-fears.html
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285

The chances of a UK recession within the next five years I'd say are pretty likely.

5 years...5 months more like. If it is Coronavirus, no it won't, as the rest of the world will also be hit for the same reason.
  • Options

isam said:

There is a wonderful passage in J G Farrell's Troubles about some English spinsters, marooned in the decaying grandeur of the Majestic hotel on the eve of Ireland's civil war going into the nearby town "looking for offence from the locals and largely being successful".

isam said:

The ladies from the Majestic no longer ventured into Kilnalough alone these days; one was too vulnerable to insult. If anything was needed, a few ounces of wool or a jar of peppermints, perhaps, or something from the chemist’s - smelling-salts or senna pods or lavender water - the problem was discussed over the whist-tables and an expedition was mounted. Six eyes, of course, all sharply on the look-out, proved far better than two for spotting insults while in the drapery or the tea-rooms, three tongues far better than one for putting someone back in his place.

In no time at all the ladies developed a remarkable skill for discerning traces of insulting behaviour in the townspeople. A lack of respect would be detected (in a turned back, in a ‘saucy’ smile, in a cheeky ‘Good day!’) and quick as a flash it would be dealt with. Miss Johnston rapidly established herself as the champion in both detection and retribution and accordingly became the most sought-after person to accompany shopping expeditions.

It’s a wonderful book - highly recommended, along with the rest of the Empire Trilogy.
  • Options

5 years...5 months more like. If it is Coronavirus, no it won't, as the rest of the world will also be hit for the same reason.
    Labour was blamed for the 2008 crisis, the sitting Government will surely receive some criticism for it.
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    IanB2 said:

Sandpit said:

IanB2 said:

http://english.alarabiya.net/en/News/middle-east/2020/03/01/-Lick-the-shrine-challenge-in-Iran-goes-viral-despite-coronavirus-fears.html
    I thought modern medicine had curtailed it for all but the extremes but natural selection is back!
  • Options
    For me the most informative and dramatic contributions on Covid 19 in the last few days is this one: https://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/images/146362/airborne-nitrogen-dioxide-plummets-over-china

The manufacturing heart of the planet no longer beating. The disruption that is going to cause to ever longer supply chains for almost all manufactures of any complexity is almost immeasurable. For me this virus remains more of an economic crisis than a health one. But its not going to be good.
  • Options

I give you 2008....
  • Options

Sandpit said:

IanB2 said:

It's all Shi'ite.
    Total and utter Shi’ite.

I’m starting to get seriously worried now, I just don’t see how it’s containable unless everyone stops travelling to or from the place about a fortnight ago.
  • Options
    Have predictions been made on Labour post-Starmer victory polling?

I suspect Labour will receive a boost, perhaps mainly from the Lib Dem vote?

I think Starmer will have done very badly if he isn't reaching the 40s, which even Corbyn achieved.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Total and utter Shi’ite.

I’m starting to get seriously worried now, I just don’t see how it’s containable unless everyone stops travelling to or from the place about a fortnight ago.

We had some medical professionals over today for brunch.

Their view was a two month self isolation for most of the country, anyone returning to the UK gets put in a government secure site.

Hopefully that'll delay the peak until the summer when we should theoretically better able to deal with it.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited March 2020
    DavidL said:

For me the most informative and dramatic contributions on Covid 19 in the last few days is this one: https://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/images/146362/airborne-nitrogen-dioxide-plummets-over-china

The manufacturing heart of the planet no longer beating. The disruption that is going to cause to ever longer supply chains for almost all manufactures of any complexity is almost immeasurable. For me this virus remains more of an economic crisis than a health one. But its not going to be good.

Apparently in terms of manufacturing one of the benefits of the virus hitting at Chinese New Year is that most companies had already stockpiled for the 2 week or so shutdown / slowdown due to the holidays, and so the supply chain isn't quite as badly hit as if it had been another time of year.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

IanB2 said:

It's all Shi'ite.
    Total and utter Shi’ite.

It isn't unfortunately. So the quicker you can come to accepting that things are going to change, the better.

A period of emotional adjustment is necessary and painful.

But also think about the practicalities and do the most you can now to protect you and yours.
  • Options
    eadric said:

Labour was blamed for the 2008 crisis, the sitting Government will surely receive some criticism for it.
    This is very likely to be worse than 2008, by orders of magnitude.
    I would be astonished if this doesn't damage the Government at least somewhat.

This is just the time we need a competent opposition. The good news is we seem like we're about to get one.
  • Options
    Gabs3Gabs3 Posts: 836

I think Starmer will have done very badly if he isn't reaching the 40s, which even Corbyn achieved.

He ruled out a platform of Rejoin so I am sticking with the Lib Dems. I suspect there are a lot like me.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Total and utter Shi’ite.

Their view was a two month self isolation for most of the country, anyone returning to the UK gets put in a government secure site.

Hopefully that'll delay the peak until the summer when we should theoretically better able to deal with it.
    Wait, the entirety of the UK will work from home for two months?

I work in technology, that's no issue for me. But it's surely going to fuck other industries.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

Sandpit said:

IanB2 said:

It's all Shi'ite.
    Posted this before, but it will stand repetition

"Then he proceeded to tell me of the mischievous consequences which attended the presumption of the Turks and Mahometans in Asia and in other places where he had been (for my brother, being a merchant, was a few years before, as I have already observed, returned from abroad, coming last from Lisbon), and how, presuming upon their professed predestinating notions, and of every man's end being predetermined and unalterably beforehand decreed, they would go unconcerned into infected places and converse with infected persons, by which means they died at the rate of ten or fifteen thousand a week, whereas the Europeans or Christian merchants, who kept themselves retired and reserved, generally escaped the contagion."

Defoe, Journal of the Plague Year
  • Options
    Gabs3 said:

He ruled out a platform of Rejoin so I am sticking with the Lib Dems. I suspect there are a lot like me.
    Rejoin is utterly toxic.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,349

kle4 said:

Pickford was never any good, he saved a penalty in the world cup and people thought he was awesome, for a few seasons De Gea was the best keeper in the world.
    Even after repeated viewing, it is hard to see what happened there. Did De Gea not see the chap in the blue shirt just in front of him? Will psychology professors use this clip as a case study in selective attention?
  • Options
    edited March 2020

Sandpit said:

Total and utter Shi’ite.

I heard similar stuff, albeit only a month of lockdown last Sunday. The thing that worries me is that medical professionals are taking this very seriously compared to the average person, whereas normally it's the public doing the panicking.
  • Options
    Should I genuinely be worried about the coronavirus then?
This discussion has been closed.