Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » A big rumour to get everyone going before the exit poll at 10p

Comments

• Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,192

Sean_F said:

There's a right wing/pro Brexit vote of 50% in this seat. This rumour should be ignored.

Yeah, but the guy isn't popular, SeanF. He was a dishonest Mayor with a very indifferent track record. Londoners tend to remember that sort of thing.

I really wouldn't be that surprised if he lost. If the overall result is fairly close - say Tories in with a majority of 20 to 40, I'm not sure he would scrape through.

Seriously.

Uxbridge is not representative of London. I'm not saying that Conservative majority/Johnson defeat does not have something to be said for it, but it won't happen.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

I would focus on the 2. The one you tried to get rid of in Edinburgh and the lucky sod in Kirkcaldy where the SNP candidate proved even more repugnant than usual.
    10 seems somewhat fanciful, given last night's Survation. and, y'know, reality.
  • Options

I've already held my hands up, I'll say no more. Thanks.

To be fair, i may disagree with you politically but fair play for admitting your error and apologising rather than shifting the blame.
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483
    edited December 2019
    SunnyJim said:

nichomar said:

I’d never be able to look my children in the eye if I did!

You'll have a harder time explaining why you were happy to load hundreds of billions of pounds of YOUR spending on to their (and their childrens) future taxes.

I wasn’t but then I never saw it as a binary choice between two incompetent liers
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,184
    IshmaelZ said:

Con Maj 1.38 on BF. Normality restored.

Ah, we've finally figured out what normality is then? :D
  • Options
    ArtistArtist Posts: 1,885
    I think Scottish Labour will get three. Coatbridge on top of the two obvious ones.
  • Options
    stjohnstjohn Posts: 1,782
    My main General Election bet is on Chuka to win his seat at 3/1.

Go Chuka!
  • Options
    DanSmithDanSmith Posts: 1,215
    humbugger said:

If swathes of the red wall turn blue it's unlikely to be a HP, imo.
    The Tories will get some of the red wall, but definitely not all or even close to it.
  • Options
    speedy2 said:

Except there isn't an LD vote to collapse...

The other thing that helps Boris is the sheer number of candidates. If Buckethead and Binface pick up 300 votes between them that is 300 that haven't gone to Labour
    That is correct.
    A lot of candidates will split the protest vote.
    Yes, there's a lot of competition for the buffoon vote in Uxbridge.
  • Options
    MysticroseMysticrose Posts: 4,688

Betfair is back in, but 1.4 is again the resistance level (as it has been for days / weeks).

This market means nothing. Look at the night of the 2016 referendum.
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

Wanted to repost as people posted fake news from the Daily Mail.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B58DqnrAAXG/

That's the actual photo, before it was photoshopped.

I notice DM don't show the original Tweet, because it's been deleted.

No, the Mail photo is just of her and one other woman. Quite different.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7784881/Starting-wrong-foot-Labours-Diane-Abbott-appears-rushed-ODD-shoes.html
    Where's the original Tweet then? Why has it been deleted?
    Because the Labour supporter who tweeted it realised what it showed perhaps?

Actually I think nobody should be making capital out of this on either side. She does not look well and that is something I have a huge amount of sympathy with right now. Disagreeing with her politics is fine (and I do) but not how she looks or dresses.
  • Options
    SunnyJimSunnyJim Posts: 1,106
    Andrew said:

Betfair market solidly pissed today. It's all over the place.

Back sub 1.40 on the Con Maj.

Lab under 206.5 has just cratered in, nothing available to back above 6/4.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    I've made so many (fortunately low value) bad constituency bets.

This is not going to be 2015 again for me.
  • Options
    Big shift on Sporting Index labour drop 5 seats to 225 in the last minute!
  • Options
    From the man doing the fieldwork for the exit poll

https://twitter.com/benatipsosmori/status/1205224501094559755
  • Options

Sources (twitter journalists) Tories leading in Dagenham, Putney, Chingford, Wimbledon.
    Diverting resources to Battersea from Putney.
    Bishop Auckland is a ‘cast iron gain’. Rother Valley, Derby North, Bolsover and Bassetlaw will go blue.
    West Midlands - tough fight in Birmingham northfield and two Coventry seats.

Labour - Paul sweeney looks doomed in Glasgow northeast.
    Watford, Battersea, Uxbridge, Chingford, Enfield Finchley and Kensington are where they still are canvassing.
    Morecambe, High Peak, Pudsey, Grimsby vote holding up well.
    Stroud looks bad for labour due to split vote.

Paul Sweeney was sounding a bit demented on LBC last night, so I would think he's almost certainly out.
    That commentary doesn't really scream "landslide" to me
    Eh? I'm not a Tory, I'm an SNP voter in rural Scotland. Just trying to help prepare you for Paul Sweeney, a fairly unpopular MP up here, losing his seat.
  • Options
    mwadamsmwadams Posts: 3,199
    RobD said:

IshmaelZ said:

Anything you still can't cope with is therefore your own problem.
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    Oh, one more anecdote for the pile. I asked the opinion of The Oracle on this election this morning (The Oracle is a stranger to PB but managed to call Trump, Brexit and the 2017 Hung Parliament correctly.)

Even he wasn't sure this time. Said that Labour might do surprisingly well, but qualified this with the statement that he was probably just being contrary to the polls for the sake of it. The Oracle pays little attention to the polls, but was dimly aware that they were meant to be showing some sort of Tory lead. After I gave a brief rundown of the polls he ventured the suggestion that we might be headed for another Hung Parliament, but without any degree of conviction.

If even The Oracle is unsure about this election then a very odd tale could be about to unfold.
  • Options
    SPIN just repriced. Tory midpoint now 345.
  • Options
    If Labour are confident of retaining Grimsby, what might this mean?
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,507
    edited December 2019
    DavidL said:

Why the fuck does anyone in this benighted country ever travel by train? The useless bastards have delayed my train so that I won’t be at home by the exit poll. I hate them. Yes I may have had a drink. But it does not excuse their incompetence.

Amen
  • Options

There's both tory and labour seats there. Do you mean the incumbents there are all likely to hold their seats, or that the tories are performing well in all 4 and thus could take High Peak and Grimsby?

• Options
    saddenedsaddened Posts: 2,245

saddened said:

Ah, I did get the photo wrong. My mistake, hold my hands up then.

So she did have odd shoes?
    Looks like it yes.
    That's a member of Corbyn's cabinet right there. But you'll still vote for them
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 45,636

Except there isn't an LD vote to collapse...

There was only 4% in 2017, but LDs were polling higher in the autumn, something like 12% by memory.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 68,200

There’s something fishy going on.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,878

DavidL said:

I would focus on the 2. The one you tried to get rid of in Edinburgh and the lucky sod in Kirkcaldy where the SNP candidate proved even more repugnant than usual.

2 is bloody fortunate and requires a degree of rationality on the part of SNP supporters which the evidence does not warrant. It may not happen.

I discovered a friend of mine had voted SNP today in the borders on a tactical basis to defeat a Tory on the basis that he was crap. Like that is any excuse. He's still a friend. Just.
  • Options

Oh, one more anecdote for the pile. I asked the opinion of The Oracle on this election this morning (The Oracle is a stranger to PB but managed to call Trump, Brexit and the 2017 Hung Parliament correctly.)

Even he wasn't sure this time. Said that Labour might do surprisingly well, but qualified this with the statement that he was probably just being contrary to the polls for the sake of it. The Oracle pays little attention to the polls, but was dimly aware that they were meant to be showing some sort of Tory lead. After I gave a brief rundown of the polls he ventured the suggestion that we might be headed for another Hung Parliament, but without any degree of conviction.

If even The Oracle is unsure about this election then a very odd tale could be about to unfold.

Did he managed to get through all of that without mentioning Jezza and the Jews?
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Alistair said:

Lol, apparently he was proxy voting.

Which means he just revealed the vote of who he Proxy voted for.
  • Options
    Any suggestions for a live stream from outside the UK? I just need the results as they come in, and pundits talking about historic swings or whatever.
  • Options
    BromBrom Posts: 3,760

Yes Con up to 348 now
  • Options
    Ave_itAve_it Posts: 2,411

LAB hold Grimsby?!
  • Options

Sources (twitter journalists) Tories leading in Dagenham, Putney, Chingford, Wimbledon.
    Bishop Auckland is a ‘cast iron gain’. Rother Valley, Derby North, Bolsover and Bassetlaw will go blue.

Watford, Battersea, Uxbridge, Chingford, Enfield Finchley and Kensington are where they still are canvassing.

Paul Sweeney was sounding a bit demented on LBC last night, so I would think he's almost certainly out.
    Eh? I'm not a Tory, I'm an SNP voter in rural Scotland. Just trying to help prepare you for Paul Sweeney, a fairly unpopular MP up here, losing his seat.
    Sorry, you've misunderstood or I've not been clear. I meant your commentary doesn't indicate landslide, it seems very mixed. But Paul Sweeney out is fair enough.

Frankly I will be happy with an SNP landslide.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 50,565

Betfair is back in, but 1.4 is again the resistance level (as it has been for days / weeks).

This market means nothing. Look at the night of the 2016 referendum.
    It doesn't mean nothing if you've got a large pile of cash invested in it!
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900
    Thinking about ordering a pineapple pizza, just for the occasion.
  • Options
    Bob__SykesBob__Sykes Posts: 1,176

Tories floundering?

I realise that's probably been done already...
  • Options
    alb1onalb1on Posts: 698
    Andy_JS said:

alb1on said:

If there is any truth that Uxbridge is even close just imagine what would have happened if Labour had put up a decent candidate without a dodgy past. If Johnson wins this by a small margin those responsible for choosing Ali Milani should be defenestrated.

The Tory vote will probably hold firm in Uxbridge but Labour will get close because of switchers from the LDs.
    As others have pointed out, with only 3.9% last time there are next to no LDs available to switch. A good Labour candidate (or all party backing for an indie) could have secured backing from anti-Boris Tories.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,783

Sean_F said:

There's a right wing/pro Brexit vote of 50% in this seat. This rumour should be ignored.

Yeah, but the guy isn't popular, SeanF. He was a dishonest Mayor with a very indifferent track record. Londoners tend to remember that sort of thing.

I really wouldn't be that surprised if he lost. If the overall result is fairly close - say Tories in with a majority of 20 to 40, I'm not sure he would scrape through.

Seriously.
    Londoners see Bozo's last minute decision to support Leave the same way as Cameron did.
  • Options
    Andrew said:

Why are people trying to cause me to have a breakdown?
  • Options
    Brom said:

Yes Con up to 348 now
    Was 339 about an hour ago
  • Options
    mwadams said:

RobD said:

IshmaelZ said:

Welcome to the Starship Heart of Gold
  • Options

Sorry, you've misunderstood or I've not been clear. I meant your commentary doesn't indicate landslide, it seems very mixed. But Paul Sweeney out is fair enough.

Frankly I will be happy with an SNP landslide.
    I went through all the seats last week, and got to SNP 43 on a 'reasonable' night. Hearing big turnout in Edinburgh, but not sure about elsewhere.
  • Options

Tories floundering?

It’s a red herring.
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789
    tyson said:

Alcohol consumption

I've already done 4 pints of 5% lager- a beery lunch, a beer at the pub catching up on work and a beer at the polling booth....wine beckons

I work.
  • Options
    Andrew said:

The barbarians are truly at the gates...
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

They were trawling for votes, and netted plenty?
  • Options

Tories floundering?

Something fishy about that prediction
  • Options
    All the publicity is on the few London seats due to the media centric nature but the real story is in the unfashionable and unknown (to the media) north- Don Valley , bassetlaw - eh up me duck land!
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

Labour kept a few lost soles.

The real problem was the lack of Kippers, though.
  • Options

Any suggestions for a live stream from outside the UK? I just need the results as they come in, and pundits talking about historic swings or whatever.

Same here. Hoping for the Beeb website to be live, as it was for the last debate.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Tories floundering?

It’s a red herring.
    Out of plaice, if you don't mind.
  • Options
    GBP/USD up over 1c in the last 2 hours.

Somebody knows something.
  • Options
    Nobidexx said:

There's both tory and labour seats there. Do you mean the incumbents there are all likely to hold their seats, or that the tories are performing well in all 4 and thus could take High Peak and Grimsby?

Nobidexx said:

No labour vote holding up well.

• Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,261
    edited December 2019

Sky tends to work. (EDIT: Come to think of it, that was in 2016.)
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 77,164
    edited December 2019
    Sandpit said:

Same here. Hoping for the Beeb website to be live, as it was for the last debate.
    Can't you get Sky News on YouTube? I know its got Bercow on, but Thrasher is the best of the "analysts".
  • Options

All the publicity is on the few London seats due to the media centric nature but the real story is in the unfashionable and unknown (to the media) north- Don Valley , bassetlaw - eh up me duck land!

I saw a tweet a few days ago and one journo thought Bassetlaw was an actual town.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,184
    Andrew said:

Do it!
  • Options
    SunnyJim said:

GBP/USD up over 1c in the last 2 hours.

Somebody knows something.

Hedge Fund exit polling
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 28,031

Good result for Labour, but whether it extends to other seats is difficult to say. Scunthorpe is nearby.
  • Options
    nunu2nunu2 Posts: 1,453

You do that a lot on here. Time to get a fact checker for yourself.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

2 is bloody fortunate and requires a degree of rationality on the part of SNP supporters which the evidence does not warrant. It may not happen.

I discovered a friend of mine had voted SNP today in the borders on a tactical basis to defeat a Tory on the basis that he was crap. Like that is any excuse. He's still a friend. Just.
    A good night for SLab would be 5, their vote has been in freefall.

Edin Sth
    Kirkcaldy & Cowdenbeath
    Coatbridge

Should be holds. Midlothian and Glasgow NE gone, from what I hear.
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787
    Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

Seriously.

Uxbridge is not representative of London. I'm not saying that Conservative majority/Johnson defeat does not have something to be said for it, but it won't happen.
    ISTR that Boris promised to oppose the third runway at Heathrow when he first stood in Uxbridge, where it's a very unpopular policy. He had an urgent appointment in Kabul and missed the vote on the runway back in 2018 and has done nothing to reverse the decision since becoming PM so maybe he's being punished for that?
  • Options
    nichomar said:

Tories floundering?

You were too slow. I beat you too it. Your chance of a punning win was fin-ished.
  • Options
    I’m surprised anyone would vote Tory with Lisa Burke as labours candidate for bury south.

She’s campaigned like a warrior and the Tory isn’t bothered.
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7784881/Starting-wrong-foot-Labours-Diane-Abbott-appears-rushed-ODD-shoes.html

Actually I think nobody should be making capital out of this on either side. She does not look well and that is something I have a huge amount of sympathy with right now. Disagreeing with her politics is fine (and I do) but not how she looks or dresses.
    If she's not well she shouldn't be standing.
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

I agree. It is a shame certain posters (Lab and Con)did not apply the same rule to Jo Swinson.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Sean_F said:

Seriously.
    Londoners see Bozo's last minute decision to support Leave the same way as Cameron did.
    The Acuri thing would also have been noted. He can fuck who he likes, when he likes, but at his own expense please, not the voters.
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900

Can't you get Sky News on YouTube? I know its got Bercow on, but Thrasher is the best of the "analysts".

https://www.youtube.com/user/skynews
  • Options
    The Con 340+ market is stuck above evens while other markets have swung back towards the Tories.

2.12 is looking awfully tempting.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,893
    If this happened, sadly I do not believe it will, it would consign the term 'Portillo moment' to the dustbin of history.

For evermore such an event through the sands of time, would be known as A BORIS JOHNSON MOMENT.
  • Options
    humbugger said:

If swathes of the red wall turn blue it's unlikely to be a HP, imo.
    It's literally impossible under that scenario. There simply aent enough London seats to offset it.
  • Options
    edited December 2019

I’m surprised anyone would vote Tory with Lisa Burke as labours candidate for bury south.

She’s campaigned like a warrior and the Tory isn’t bothered.

Perhaps this says something about the reputation of the national party?
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

She suffers from massively overweight syndrome. Which arguably accounts for the Type 2 and also indicates that she is unable to control herself. Can she see her feet to worry about her shoes?
  • Options
    edited December 2019

Sandpit said:

It's blocked now internationally.
    Maybe BBC World or CNN on the local cable TV might have something.

Edit: Actually, they've unblocked it for tonight. Thanks!
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,878
    viewcode said:

DavidL said:

Why the fuck does anyone in this benighted country ever travel by train? The useless bastards have delayed my train so that I won’t be at home by the exit poll. I hate them. Yes I may have had a drink. But it does not excuse their incompetence.

Amen
    Honestly, I think we should recognise that running a train service is just too difficult for us and just close it down making everyone employed in it redundant. I went to see my daughter in Gronnigan last year. It involved a change of trains about half way from Amsterdam. There was 2 minutes between the trains. I suggested that was a bit tight. The person selling the tickets, who spoke perfect English, looked bewildered. Why would that be a problem? It wasn't.
  • Options
    saddened said:

saddened said:

So she did have odd shoes?
    Looks like it yes.
    That's a member of Corbyn's cabinet right there. But you'll still vote for them
    How Diane Abbot looks, particularly if she is looking unwell really shouldn’t be a factor in casting your vote. Her politics, yes, but not how she looks in a photo.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

Labour kept a few lost soles.

The real problem was the lack of Kippers, though.
    When they went to see, urchins came round to Jezza.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Even using a VPN?
  • Options

If this happened, sadly I do not believe it will, it would consign the term 'Portillo moment' to the dustbin of history.

For evermore such an event through the sands of time, would be known as A BORIS JOHNSON MOMENT.

Just a Boris.

And yet it would be so typical of his career - amazing successes trumped by even more spectacular disasters.
  • Options

Tories floundering?

Are you fishing for compliments?
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,174
    edited December 2019
    EPG said:

Thanks, Sky News live stream seems to be working.

Not doing election things at the moment but I guess they'll get to it.

Edit: I know why there's no exit poll, I'm an hour off...
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

IshmaelZ said:

Maybe there was no chair available.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 28,031

They say duck just down the road from where I live, but never here.
  • Options
    ReggieCideReggieCide Posts: 4,312

IshmaelZ said:

The issue is, from a Labour perspective, if she's sufficiently unwell to know that her shoes don't match and they're on the wrong feet, then should she be putting herself up to be shooed in in a solid Labour constituency
  • Options
    viewcode said:

DavidL said:

Amen
    I assume that the delay is caused by Notwork Rail rather than the operator, since most delays (ex Guard strikes) are down to signalling, track work, lack of track capacity etc - all of which are managed by the only nationalised part of the operation.
  • Options
    phiwphiw Posts: 32

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Even using a VPN?
    Sky News Live seems fine on YouTube in the US. Election coverage on BBC World (cable / YouTube TV) starts in an hour.
  • Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502

From the man doing the fieldwork for the exit poll

https://twitter.com/benatipsosmori/status/1205224501094559755

Is he really allowed to even insinuate anything .
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

The issue is, from a Labour perspective, if she's sufficiently unwell to know that her shoes don't match and they're on the wrong feet, then should she be putting herself up to be shooed in in a solid Labour constituency
    As a potential Home Secretary?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

nichomar said:

Tories floundering?

You were too slow. I beat you too it. Your chance of a punning win was fin-ished.
    I’m an hour ahead and a few more wines so can’t dash the answers of as quickly
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,422

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Even using a VPN?
    Try windscribe
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Sean_F said:

Seriously.
    Really? They see it as revenge for Sam choosing Dave over Boris?
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,439

Brom said:

Yes Con up to 348 now
    Was 339 about an hour ago
    Big move.
  • Options
    nichomar said:

ydoethur said:

nichomar said:

Tories floundering?

I’m an hour ahead and a few more wines so can’t dash the answers of as quickly
    If you’re an hour ahead, please can you let us know what the Exit Poll says?
  • Options

mwadams said:

RobD said:

IshmaelZ said:

Welcome to the Starship Heart of Gold
    Is Boris the power source for the infinite improbability drive?
  • Options
    moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,254
    My postal proxy ballot arrived at 4pm today. After the first one “got lost in the mail”. Third election in a row (second general) the council disenfranchised me.
  • Options
    I'm hearing......

.....things.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

IshmaelZ said:

If she has a heavy cold or ‘flu?
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

They say duck just down the road from where I live, but never here.
    "Me duck" is widely used when talking Lestah, but not "eh up".
  • Options

Finally voted in Bury South, in my marginal straight Lab/Tory ward. "Steady" was the word used to describe activity today. It seemed slightly quieter than when I last voted there around the same time in 2015 - although that was a pleasantly warm May evening not biting December drizzle.

With sweaty palms and a heavy remainer-ish heart, I voted Tory. As always. I felt choked as I left at the thought I've just dived in with those of insane Brexit mind like Boris, Mogg and Foster et al. But Corbyn and McDonnell turn my stomach and will do until hopefully around 3-4am tonight when I can turn in safe and sleep.

Brexit will go on and on and won't get done. And I suspect the next Labour Govt in 5 years will probably quickly hold a new referendum and turn the ongoing transition period into EU re-entry. But in the meantime, at least a fairly moderate Tory PM can steady the ship otherwise.

Assuming he doesn't lose his seat tonight and we end up with Rees Mogg or some other horror.

I've lived here for 9 years and been waiting for it to go back blue but it never has. So tonight it might if all the polls and predictions are right. I can't really see it, but I might for the first time since I started voting in 1997 actually have voted for a winning GE candidate tonight.

Interestingly, I realised driving home that I didn't know where my polling station was. I had a postal vote in 2017, and the library has been closed since 2015 (Labour council cuts). I googled "find my polling station" and clicked on Labour's own site. I was urged by Jez himself to go to the place I voted at in the locals in May.

Wrong. Back to the library (now a community hub). What's one more untruth from Corbyn to finish the campaign.... :-)

I've been voting since 1997 too and pretty certain I've kept up my record of failing to vote for a winner.
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    alb1on said:

IshmaelZ said:

I agree. It is a shame certain posters (Lab and Con)did not apply the same rule to Jo Swinson.
    My wife, who is as centrist as is it is possible to be, has had one comment on Swinson - she needs a professional bra fitting and stop the sagging. Other than that, Ms Swinson is wallpaper I’m afraid.

Edit - iOS loves correcting Swinson to Swindon. Bland? Dull?
  • Options

EPG said:

Thanks, Sky News live stream seems to be working.

Not doing election things at the moment but I guess they'll get to it.
    They can't report until polls have closed. Then it will go into overdrive.
This discussion has been closed.