Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » A big rumour to get everyone going before the exit poll at 10p

Comments

• Options
    TudorRoseTudorRose Posts: 1,662

Just voted in Cheltenham. chatting to the bloke on the desk he said turnout was usually 20% of people eligible to vote, 1 hour to go and 66% of voters had voted and they were still coming in.

I live in the bluest of the blue wards in Cheltenham, the yellow peril infest the cheap seats the other side of town.

I suspect they mean in a local election. 20% turnout in a GE would be exceptionally low.
  • Options

Time to unmute Owen Jones.

You got something strong to drink?
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,309

DavidL said:

Agreed. If Canterbury is close Labour are in even deeper trouble than we think.
    Does anyone think right now that Labour are in trouble?! I think they're holding up and we could be well hung.
    I think that they are going to get hammered and the Tories will have a comfortable majority.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,685

Bercow annoying me already and he's only been on 35 seconds.

Won't be watching Sky News much tonight if things are going Jezza's way....

Looks like Adam Boulton isn't presenting the show for the first time since 1997.
  • Options

This is my first general election since becoming a teetotaler

Welcome to my world......
    Welcome to my world as well.
  • Options
    Ave_it said:

If I didn't drink I could afford the extra CORBYN taxes!
    No you really couldn't.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901

When I did the 5Live results programme in at GE2010 we got the exit poll at about 2130.

Yup that was the case in 2017
  • Options
    The Pound?
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Bercow annoying me already and he's only been on 35 seconds.

Won't be watching Sky News much tonight if things are going Jezza's way....

Looks like Adam Boulton isn't presenting the show for the first time since 1997.
    Who is? I thought old Fat Head did all the election broadcasts?
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    I will never forget the 2017 exit poll announcement.
  • Options
    egg said:

This is hard to believe, every candidate had to sign to agree to let brexit happen.
    So they lied! Boris does, why shouldn't they?
  • Options
    Alistair said:

I will never forget the 2017 exit poll announcement.

I was driving at the time, I nearly crashed the car.
  • Options
    For anyone watching bbc coverage..be warned of Laura Kuennsburg (minister for Tory state propaganda)

In the 2017 election her ‘Tory sources’ and ‘Labour sources’ told her the following
    - Theresa mays position is untenable.
    - Hearing Labour have gained Broxtowe ( not true)
    - Hearing Labour have gained Hastings and Rye (not true)
    - Hearing Labour have gained Milton Keynes North. (Not true)
    - Hearing Tories have won Barrow
    - Hearing Tories have won Wrexham
    The only one she did get right was hearing Labour have won Ipswich.
  • Options

I’ve been signed of work for a couple of days. Getting drunk probably wouldn’t help my recovery, so I will be joining you in that for the evening.
  • Options
    TudorRose said:

Bercow looking rictus on Sky News just then

Early peek at the exit poll data? Can't believe they won't have tipped him a nod as part of their presenting line up.

Talking heads get the exit poll at 9.45.
    What about all those millions of voters still in the polling station queues - don't they get a say?!
    All day there has been an assumption that long queues are bad for the blue team. Is it? We'll see.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,873
    Can I check after 10pm is everyone allowed to say what they know about PV or not?
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

nunu2 said:

Okay. So the word now is that the mega Stockton turnout is Labour. And that's not according to Labour sources...

Doesnt Durham Uni have a campus there?
    Yes.

But I think (from memory) it's the business campus; they have a different perspective from other student groups. Although I suspect they still like free stuff!
  • Options
    eggegg Posts: 1,749
    Andy_JS said:
    I wouldn’t trust them would you? Look like a channel 4 comedy skit.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    MrEd said:

A couple of things re the anecdotes,

1. Looks like Tories have done well in Durham / NE (thinking Pidcock comments / early view Bishop Auckland is Tory, though Rochdale mentioned Stockton might be seeing Labour voters out;
    2. If turnout high, I think it probably benefits the Tories as more likely to be a repeat of 2016 i.e. non-voters coming out.
    3. London a bit odd. Talk Labour doing very well but some weird patterns. Johnson possibly in trouble but Labour pulling activists out of Chingford and asking for help in Battersea
    4. Walsall South going to the Tories would suggest a whole swathe of Labour seats in the Midlands are gone;
    5. We do not seem to have much from Wales, the NW and Yorkshire. Those could be key.

Wales could be a bit weird - maybe better for Labour in the south, bad in the north? But I can't see why the NW and Yorkshire should be materially different to the Midlands and NE?
  • Options

DavidL said:

The temptation to laugh at Bercow is high. But I am better than that and won't be on Sky tonight.

He will be insufferable if it is a hung parliament.
    The last 6 words of that sentence are superfluous.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,689
    peterould said:

In order to get sight of the exit poll before 10pm you have to sign an NDA. No NDA, no exit poll. If you have signed the NDA and see the exit poll, you cannot reveal anything before 10pm.

I know Bercow's annoying, but even he's not annoying enough to break that NDA (if he's even signed it).

Is there only one exit poll or several competing ones?

Normally exit polls cover the same constituencies, don't they? if so could they be in the wrong place this time?
  • Options
    moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,244

Just myself a pint of tea, recommended.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    Brendan Clarke Smith stakeboards outnumbering Keir Morrison's in Langold and Costhorpe 4 to 2, zero Keir Morrison (Wasn't one with the Tory literature) window posters up that I could see. 3 or 4 England/Union Jacks flying.
  • Options
    DruttDrutt Posts: 1,093
    DISASTER. Just got to the cottage and the telly is down - probably the weather but no signal. No Sky in the Fire Stick so will miss Bercow looking glum.

Polling station anecdote. Just me and a bloke I kind of vaguely know in there, and the same polling and presiding officers there always are, one of whom I know professionally, although that was about six years ago.
    Me, like a complete dick: "Thank you for staying open just for us!"
    presiding officer, wearily "have you got your polling card"
    Etc.
    Anyway, went outside and there was a guy parking his range rover pretty much sideways across a one way street.

Important details from your man on the ground in North Cornwall (Con 1/3, LD 2/1)
  • Options
    Well, I suppose, tonight's the night, those of us who invested £3 all those years ago to ensure comrade Jezza won the Labour leadership, find out if we wasted our hard earned money.
  • Options
    Second sober election for me. Really miss my election night session. The ex Mrs used to let me get on with it and wake me up around 5 to go to bed

Welcome to my world......
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

Looks like you picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue ...
  • Options

When I did the 5Live results programme in at GE2010 we got the exit poll at about 2130.

It probably wasn't the final version though.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,969
    Drutt said:

DISASTER. Just got to the cottage and the telly is down - probably the weather but no signal. No Sky in the Fire Stick so will miss Bercow looking glum.

Polling station anecdote. Just me and a bloke I kind of vaguely know in there, and the same polling and presiding officers there always are, one of whom I know professionally, although that was about six years ago.
    Etc.
    Anyway, went outside and there was a guy parking his range rover pretty much sideways across a one way street.

Important details from your man on the ground in North Cornwall (Con 1/3, LD 2/1)

@Drutt search for Sky News live on youtube!
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

It probably wasn't the final version though.
    It was last time.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,314

For anyone watching bbc coverage..be warned of Laura Kuennsburg (minister for Tory state propaganda)

In the 2017 election her ‘Tory sources’ and ‘Labour sources’ told her the following
    - Theresa mays position is untenable.
    - Hearing Labour have gained Broxtowe ( not true)
    - Hearing Labour have gained Hastings and Rye (not true)
    - Hearing Labour have gained Milton Keynes North. (Not true)
    - Hearing Tories have won Barrow
    - Hearing Tories have won Wrexham
    The only one she did get right was hearing Labour have won Ipswich.

Thanks. We're on it.
  • Options
    ralphmalphralphmalph Posts: 2,201
    To people with Bercow issues I am going to watch LBC.

https://www.lbc.co.uk/politics/elections/general-election-2019/lbc-to-simulcast-its-biggest-election-night-show/

Joe Twyman is doing the polling analysis.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited December 2019
    What the hell is Sky News Election Social?
  • Options

egg said:

This is hard to believe, every candidate had to sign to agree to let brexit happen.
    But that’s cheating. 😡
  • Options
    I'm pleased to confirm that I haven't the faintest idea, other than what the opinion polls suggest.
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483

Can I check after 10pm is everyone allowed to say what they know about PV or not?

You can’t report on the progress of the count whilst it is underway
  • Options
    nichomar said:

You can’t report on the progress of the count whilst it is underway
    Isn't that done all the time on the news? :o
  • Options
    Will hedge funds have exit polls or do they have as much knowledge as we do
  • Options
    edited December 2019

In the past there has been on the day polling, but it has been utter shit. There is again today.
  • Options

They did one for Brexit. Supposedly it said remain would win by 10%.
  • Options
    Twenty mins.
  • Options

They may have paid for their own, but the official one is tightly managed (in theory).
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,130
    edited December 2019
    MattW said:

What is Jeremy Vine dressing up as this year in his animation?

I demand Rudolph.

Hess?
  • Options
    bunncobunnco Posts: 169

No you can't.
  • Options
    Tories soaring on SPIN, no change on Betfair. Someone clearly thinks they know something (or has a position to manage).
  • Options
    nunu2nunu2 Posts: 1,453

They know as much we do. Sometimes less.
  • Options

They might have commissioned polls but there's no reason why their polls should be any more accurate than yesterday's public ones - in fact, probably less good, because it's hard to run a good exit poll.
  • Options

Just voted in Cheltenham. chatting to the bloke on the desk he said turnout was usually 20% of people eligible to vote, 1 hour to go and 66% of voters had voted and they were still coming in.

I live in the bluest of the blue wards in Cheltenham, the yellow peril infest the cheap seats the other side of town.

If its the bluest of blue wards a normal turnout of 20% is not credible, even for local elections.
  • Options
    saddenedsaddened Posts: 2,245
    For the love of God. You've just said the tweets are pointless. Throttle back on them FFS.
  • Options
    wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 6,934
    Gonna have a nip on the UUP in South Antrim dyor
  • Options
    MysticroseMysticrose Posts: 4,688
    I'm TT too.

I don't miss it.

Drutt - great post & I second the google 'sky news live' search which will land you on the youtube live stream.
  • Options

Tories soaring on SPIN, no change on Betfair. Someone clearly thinks they know something (or has a position to manage).

NoM on SPIN down to 23-29; it was in the high 30s about an hour ago.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Twenty mins.

Still on a train......
  • Options

Betfair has come in.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190

https://tinyurl.com/wu3jscq
  • Options

seen the exit poll?
  • Options
    DruttDrutt Posts: 1,093
    RobD said:

Drutt said:

Etc.

@Drutt search for Sky News live on youtube!
    Solid work RD
  • Options
    Tense.
  • Options
    Tory Hubris drives Maj to 1.35!!
  • Options
    Gabs3Gabs3 Posts: 836
    egg said:

egg said:

But that’s cheating. 😡
    They have all pledged to back the Boris deal, but they haven't done one for No Deal.
  • Options
    Banterman said:

Well, I suppose, tonight's the night, those of us who invested £3 all those years ago to ensure comrade Jezza won the Labour leadership, find out if we wasted our hard earned money.

Don't worry, Aaron Bastani says it's a 20 year project.
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    tlg86 said:

https://tinyurl.com/wu3jscq
    Oh f##king hell that's worse than bloody Bercow.
  • Options
    Macclesfield not going green party anecdote:

Just seen 4 4x4's drive into the local polling station.......yep this is Tory country
  • Options

Tory Hubris drives Maj to 1.35!!

We're standing ready to engage smug complacent mode.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,289
    Everyone seems to be doing their best to keep it interesting
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,007

Banterman said:

Twitter folks now saying the likes of Jones and Bastani posting defeatist sounding posts.

Farage conceded during the EU referendum.
    NOBODY KNOWS ANYTHING.

(Except the people who are doing the exit poll.)
  • Options
    This is like deciding whether to stay up for Match of the Day. If Burnley have been hammered then no way do I wait for it but if they've done well yes of course you wait till midnight
  • Options
    ralphmalphralphmalph Posts: 2,201
    Foxy said:

If its the bluest of blue wards a normal turnout of 20% is not credible, even for local elections.
    That is what he said. He also said that the total number of eligible voters was circa 900.
  • Options
    NOM ers Hubris drives it back to 1.4
  • Options
    DeClareDeClare Posts: 483
    NOM now drifting like a barge in the markets.
    Are the exit poll boys steaming in?
  • Options
    My trading on the day is inevitably dire so just going to sit back, relax and strap in for the exit poll
  • Options
    MysticroseMysticrose Posts: 4,688

This is like deciding whether to stay up for Match of the Day. If Burnley have been hammered then no way do I wait for it but if they've done well yes of course you wait till midnight

:smiley:
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

I think rcs1000's prediction could be near the mark.

I knew I was on the right track when @Byronic rubbished it.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549
    RobD said:

They did one for Brexit. Supposedly it said remain would win by 10%.
    Yes, a supposedly huge poll, so expensive, but wrong in the end.
  • Options
    MimusMimus Posts: 56

Whatever happens tonight...Tories are going to get crushed in the next election.

Tories have nothing left message wise other than I’m not as bad as the other guy. 5 years of nothingness. Big tech and automation will continue to cut jobs and the uk has no answers. More jobs will move overseas. Larger companies will get stronger. Rural towns will become more rural. Factories will not need people but just be automated then it will be trucks then retail and so on and so on.

Tories arent focuses on the big issues. It’s just carry on as we are.

Labour needed to learn the lesson of 2010 and play defense now to stem their potential losses. We'll see where that has left them by tomorrow. Unless Labour can retake much of Scotland a Boris majority government will be favourite to still be the largest party in 2024.

But you're right that, if given a majority, the Conservatives need to do something positive and definable with power.
  • Options

Betfair has come in.
    Since earlier. But over the time SPIN has gone from lower end Tory 334 to lower end 344, Betfair has come in from 1.4 to 1.37.
  • Options

Banterman said:

Don't worry, Aaron Bastani says it's a 20 year project.
    What to undo the damage of a Jezza government? I think that's optimistic.
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483
    Tory 60+ majority labour 210 at best lib dem 20
  • Options
    The second hand moves slowly but inexorably over the clock face.
  • Options
    HaroldOHaroldO Posts: 1,185
    I'm all tense....even though I intend to move to Germany in the next 18 months so either way will suffer little.
    I've cheered me up.
  • Options
    sarissasarissa Posts: 1,785
    Just voted in Edinburgh SW, city central ward. Elderly guy 70ish staffing the polling station said this is the biggest turnout of any election he can remember
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

My trading on the day is inevitably dire so just going to sit back, relax and strap in for the exit poll

That's probably wise.
  • Options
    Right I’m calling it. The poll average is nearly ten. It’s something close to a landslide.
    Calling all Tories. Well done.
    Fine win, fought and won fair and square on right issues of health, education and improving the lot of the poorer in our society, hence you have won them over - they turned out to vote for you in droves; you deserve the chance to govern. But this isn’t the end of the hard work, just the start, isn’t it?

You now have some of the poorest most disadvantaged in our society placing their trust and hope in your promises and your Brexit, brexit to free us from the wasteful costs of being in EU, free that money to health, 40 more hospitals opening not more closures, a one nation Brexit not merely making Mogg, Baker and Tory donors much richer, and the UK’s long lost freedom bringing growth and hundreds of billions of inward investment to improve the lives of voters feeling forgotten and ignored for so long.

Not one of these voters expects marvels overnight, but once out the free market that allowed millions of foreigners to just walk in and stay, at last there will be control of immigration so public services will improve, there will be more homes for voters children and grandchildren.

And a new, exciting Prime Minister very different from the out of touch, untrustworthy and economically illiterate buffoon Corbyn would have been.

Don’t let these people down, will you?

I’m off now. See you over the holidays.

Have a good night.
  • Options
    Betfair 1.35 shortest odds for hours on Con majority
  • Options
    Ave_itAve_it Posts: 2,411
    nichomar said:

Tory 60+ majority labour 210 at best lib dem 20

Hope you are right nichomar!
  • Options

You can go to bed, I should be awake until 5am.
  • Options
    Do we know which company did the infamous private poll that had remain winning by 10? Surely they never worked again.
  • Options
    Seriously does anyone know if the exit poll will be on R5?
  • Options
    If the first result is Newcastle Central:

Latest MRP is: Lab 59%, Con 20%, BRX 11%, LD 8%, Grn 3%.
    Turnout in 2017 was 67.00%
    Electorate this time is 57,845.
    If turnout rises to say 70%, total votes will be 40,492.
    Applying the MRP figures to that would give something like the following figures:

Lab 23,890
    Con 8,098
    BRX 4,454
    LD 3,239
    Grn 1,215
  • Options
    nunu2 said:

They know as much we do. Sometimes less.
    The Brexit referendum is a fine example of this. Markets often behave as a flock of panicking sheep.

I haven't altered my betting position (360/201/42/21/ others), at least not yet, but I have teeed up a reverse ferret if needed!
  • Options
    sarissa said:

Just voted in Edinburgh SW, city central ward. Elderly guy 70ish staffing the polling station said this is the biggest turnout of any election he can remember

Worth noting the guy had Alzheimers and couldn't remember anything about previous elections.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Seriously does anyone know if the exit poll will be on R5?

It was in 2017, cos I nearly crashed my car when it came on.
  • Options
    You have to admire the integrity of the exit poll guys. I’d be placing thousands.
  • Options
    Time for one last evacuation before the exit.
  • Options
    T-15.
  • Options
    There are two versions of the exit poll which are calculated. The first is based on information as it stands at 21 and second on information at the close of polling. The one we see is the 2100 version
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    Panellists being shown the exit poll about now.....
  • Options
    They know
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Time for one last evacuation before the exit.

Just in case... :D
This discussion has been closed.