Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » A big rumour to get everyone going before the exit poll at 10p

Comments

• Options
    MysticroseMysticrose Posts: 4,688
    slade said:

Further news from Colne Valley. They are queuing out of the doors in the middle class areas; not so in the working class areas. Con gain?

Nah the middle classes are Labour :smiley:
  • Options
    slade said:

Further news from Colne Valley. They are queuing out of the doors in the middle class areas; not so in the working class areas. Con gain?

If this were 1987, maybe. Labour's vote is more middle class than the Tories now!
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,220
    slade said:

Lib Dem gain?
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483
    Genuine despondency on the ground for the lib dems in the West Country being reported.
  • Options

Finally voted in Bury South, in my marginal straight Lab/Tory ward. "Steady" was the word used to describe activity today. It seemed slightly quieter than when I last voted there around the same time in 2015 - although that was a pleasantly warm May evening not biting December drizzle.

With sweaty palms and a heavy remainer-ish heart, I voted Tory. As always. I felt choked as I left at the thought I've just dived in with those of insane Brexit mind like Boris, Mogg and Foster et al. But Corbyn and McDonnell turn my stomach and will do until hopefully around 3-4am tonight when I can turn in safe and sleep.

Brexit will go on and on and won't get done. And I suspect the next Labour Govt in 5 years will probably quickly hold a new referendum and turn the ongoing transition period into EU re-entry. But in the meantime, at least a fairly moderate Tory PM can steady the ship otherwise.

Assuming he doesn't lose his seat tonight and we end up with Rees Mogg or some other horror.

I've lived here for 9 years and been waiting for it to go back blue but it never has. So tonight it might if all the polls and predictions are right. I can't really see it, but I might for the first time since I started voting in 1997 actually have voted for a winning GE candidate tonight.

Interestingly, I realised driving home that I didn't know where my polling station was. I had a postal vote in 2017, and the library has been closed since 2015 (Labour council cuts). I googled "find my polling station" and clicked on Labour's own site. I was urged by Jez himself to go to the place I voted at in the locals in May.

Wrong. Back to the library (now a community hub). What's one more untruth from Corbyn to finish the campaign.... :-)

I've been voting since 1997 too and pretty certain I've kept up my record of failing to vote for a winner.
    I've never voted for the winner since I started voting in 1987... but having gone blue in Finchley I suspect I've broken that record.
  • Options
    Whatever happens tonight...Tories are going to get crushed in the next election.

Tories have nothing left message wise other than I’m not as bad as the other guy. 5 years of nothingness. Big tech and automation will continue to cut jobs and the uk has no answers. More jobs will move overseas. Larger companies will get stronger. Rural towns will become more rural. Factories will not need people but just be automated then it will be trucks then retail and so on and so on.

Tories arent focuses on the big issues. It’s just carry on as we are.
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787
    So, what's the word from @david_herdson?
  • Options
    KentRisingKentRising Posts: 2,850
    She should be winning with an increased majority, I should think.
  • Options
    eggegg Posts: 1,749
    slade said:

Other way round these days in brexit election
  • Options

Whatever happens tonight...Tories are going to get crushed in the next election.

Tories have nothing left message wise other than I’m not as bad as the other guy. 5 years of nothingness. Big tech and automation will continue to cut jobs and the uk has no answers. More jobs will move overseas. Larger companies will get stronger. Rural towns will become more rural. Factories will not need people but just be automated then it will be trucks then retail and so on and so on.

You are Sion Simon, and I claim my £5....
  • Options
    wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 6,934

I think we can rule out a sizeable Tory majority. If that was the case, I think we would have had the smoke signals by now.

Labour giving up on seats 50 and more down their list anecdotally supports a large majority imo
  • Options
    BromBrom Posts: 3,760
    Con 45-50% vote share shortened a lot on betfair
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,220

We all said that in 2010, 2015 and 2017. Maybe this time it will prevail.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,287

I think we can rule out a sizeable Tory majority. If that was the case, I think we would have had the smoke signals by now.

Labour giving up on seats 50 and more down their list anecdotally supports a large majority imo
    Depends on what’s happening higher up the list.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,689
    IshmaelZ said:

Foxy said:

IshmaelZ said:

Wanted to repost as people posted fake news from the Daily Mail.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B58DqnrAAXG/

That's the actual photo, before it was photoshopped.

I notice DM don't show the original Tweet, because it's been deleted.

No, the Mail photo is just of her and one other woman. Quite different.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7784881/Starting-wrong-foot-Labours-Diane-Abbott-appears-rushed-ODD-shoes.html
    Where's the original Tweet then? Why has it been deleted?
    Because the Labour supporter who tweeted it realised what it showed perhaps?

Actually I think nobody should be making capital out of this on either side. She does not look well and that is something I have a huge amount of sympathy with right now. Disagreeing with her politics is fine (and I do) but not how she looks or dresses.
    The issue is, from a Labour perspective, if she's sufficiently unwell to know that her shoes don't match and they're on the wrong feet, then should she be putting herself up to be shooed in in a solid Labour constituency
    Yeah, but her shoes were fine and matching. The photo was faked.

Express, telegraph, metro as well as Mail all still carrying the story, and there are multiple photos. Your claim this is fake news, is fake news.
    I only got in from work at 1900, so haven't been able to catch up.

After the fake nurse publishing boy on floor being promoted by Tories it is hard to know.
  • Options
    If I was to say all this is rubbish, until boxes are opened and votes in stacks they really wouldn’t know, how would I be wrong?
  • Options

Only if they win this time.
  • Options
    alb1onalb1on Posts: 698

I think Boris' minders have confiscated the huge spliffs for the duration.
  • Options
    Brom said:

If they do get that, we’re talking landslide. But I just cannot see it.
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789

matt said:

alb1on said:

IshmaelZ said:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7784881/Starting-wrong-foot-Labours-Diane-Abbott-appears-rushed-ODD-shoes.html

Actually I think nobody should be making capital out of this on either side. She does not look well and that is something I have a huge amount of sympathy with right now. Disagreeing with her politics is fine (and I do) but not how she looks or dresses.
    I agree. It is a shame certain posters (Lab and Con)did not apply the same rule to Jo Swinson.
    My wife, who is as centrist as is it is possible to be, has had one comment on Swinson - she needs a professional bra fitting and stop the sagging. Other than that, Ms Swinson is wallpaper I’m afraid.

Edit - iOS loves correcting Swinson to Swindon. Bland? Dull?
    You may not be JS’s biggest fan, but surely you must agree she’d be a better Prime Minister than Rachael Swindon.
    Swinson was pushed too high too fast. A LD William Hague If you were.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,685
    nico67 said:

I wonder whether the exit poll will show a Tory majority but with a wider range than normal in seat numbers .

They don't normally give a range these days as far as I know.
  • Options
    alb1on said:

I think Boris' minders have confiscated the huge spliffs for the duration.
    I think Jo will need to be on the whacky baccy this evening!!!
  • Options
    Bob__SykesBob__Sykes Posts: 1,176
    Bercow looking rictus on Sky News just then

Early peek at the exit poll data? Can't believe they won't have tipped him a nod as part of their presenting line up.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

100% certain that Lynda Chalker has lost Wallsey.

That was 27 years ago.

That's why I'm so certain about it.
  • Options

I'm hearing Arthur Negus has held Bristol.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

nico67 said:

I wonder whether the exit poll will show a Tory majority but with a wider range than normal in seat numbers .

They don't normally give a range these days as far as I know.
    I thought it was normally +/- 20, no?
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929

Only if they win this time.
    Noone can focus on anything till we get Brexit out of the bloody Commons and into the civil servants
  • Options
    Foxy said:

IshmaelZ said:

Foxy said:

IshmaelZ said:

The issue is, from a Labour perspective, if she's sufficiently unwell to know that her shoes don't match and they're on the wrong feet, then should she be putting herself up to be shooed in in a solid Labour constituency

Express, telegraph, metro as well as Mail all still carrying the story, and there are multiple photos. Your claim this is fake news, is fake news.

After the fake nurse publishing boy on floor being promoted by Tories it is hard to know.
    That photo was real as well.
  • Options
    Everybody has overreacted because of 2017. It's not going to be a surprise. Boris gets 350/360 and Labour 215/220 no landslide but decent majority of 45 / 55.

I've said it. I feel better.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited December 2019

Early peek at the exit poll data? Can't believe they won't have tipped him a nod as part of their presenting line up.

If there is one person you wouldn't tell, its him.....actually on second thoughts, him and that bloke off twitter who leaked the YouGov MRP.
  • Options

Finally voted in Bury South, in my marginal straight Lab/Tory ward. "Steady" was the word used to describe activity today. It seemed slightly quieter than when I last voted there around the same time in 2015 - although that was a pleasantly warm May evening not biting December drizzle.

With sweaty palms and a heavy remainer-ish heart, I voted Tory. As always. I felt choked as I left at the thought I've just dived in with those of insane Brexit mind like Boris, Mogg and Foster et al. But Corbyn and McDonnell turn my stomach and will do until hopefully around 3-4am tonight when I can turn in safe and sleep.

Brexit will go on and on and won't get done. And I suspect the next Labour Govt in 5 years will probably quickly hold a new referendum and turn the ongoing transition period into EU re-entry. But in the meantime, at least a fairly moderate Tory PM can steady the ship otherwise.

Assuming he doesn't lose his seat tonight and we end up with Rees Mogg or some other horror.

I've lived here for 9 years and been waiting for it to go back blue but it never has. So tonight it might if all the polls and predictions are right. I can't really see it, but I might for the first time since I started voting in 1997 actually have voted for a winning GE candidate tonight.

Interestingly, I realised driving home that I didn't know where my polling station was. I had a postal vote in 2017, and the library has been closed since 2015 (Labour council cuts). I googled "find my polling station" and clicked on Labour's own site. I was urged by Jez himself to go to the place I voted at in the locals in May.

Wrong. Back to the library (now a community hub). What's one more untruth from Corbyn to finish the campaign.... :-)

I've been voting since 1997 too and pretty certain I've kept up my record of failing to vote for a winner.
    I've never voted for the winner since I started voting in 1987... but having gone blue in Finchley I suspect I've broken that record.
    It is possible that I may break another duck though. Could have voted for a candidate from a party which wins a majority for the first time.
  • Options

Winston Churchill has taken a pounding in Manchester North West...
  • Options
    FishingFishing Posts: 4,561

You don't see the irony in forecasting with assurance what will happen in five years time when you can't predict five hours ahead?
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,308
    Agreed. If Canterbury is close Labour are in even deeper trouble than we think.
  • Options
    TudorRoseTudorRose Posts: 1,662
    Brom said:

Noooo! My biggest bets are on Tories 40-45% and they were placed when they were regularly polling 37/38.
  • Options
    MrEdMrEd Posts: 5,578
    Interesting people are saying London is so bad for the Tories. It is the one part of the country where you would have thought normally left-leaning middle class types would be petrified about what will happen to the value of their homes.
  • Options
    ReggieCideReggieCide Posts: 4,312

We all said that in 2010, 2015 and 2017. Maybe this time it will prevail.
    Sometime Labour has to choose an electable leader.
  • Options

alb1on said:

So if Bozo and Raaaab both lose their seats we could have PM Priti by Christmas.

Hanging and flogging reintroduced by New Year? Or would she have to wait until we leave the EU?
    Bent Benny as personal mentor and advisor to the Cabinet?
    Boing boing by the way!
    Can I be first to be flogged by her? 😛😛😛😛😛😛😛😛
  • Options

I thought they didn’t do that.
  • Options
    Fishing said:

You don't see the irony in forecasting with assurance what will happen in five years time when you can't predict five hours ahead?
    Probably a remainer.
  • Options
    egg said:

If I was to say all this is rubbish, until boxes are opened and votes in stacks they really wouldn’t know, how would I be wrong?
    Really old hands might get a sense in a constituency I suppose. I think most of this is just nervous chatter.
  • Options

That's not a result, that's just a bit of gossip...
  • Options

Talking heads get the exit poll at 9.45.
  • Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352
    MrEd said:

Interesting people are saying London is so bad for the Tories. It is the one part of the country where you would have thought normally left-leaning middle class types would be petrified about what will happen to the value of their homes.

If they don't believe the threat is real, or at least the threat hasn't been well articulated, then they won't be.

They may get a rude awakening in just over half an hour.
  • Options
    Twitter folks now saying the likes of Jones and Bastani posting defeatist sounding posts.
  • Options
    MrEd said:

A lot of the Labour vote will be predicated on them not actually winning - like last time but more so. Is that assumption about to be proven wrong????
  • Options

If there is one person you wouldn't tell, its him.....actually on second thoughts, him and that bloke off twitter who leaked the YouGov MRP.
    Ok, fair point. But when he arrived at Sky News studios, surely someone raised their eyebrows, furrowed their brow, or pursed their lips to give him some sort of inkling.

As ever, probably reading too much into nothing...
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125

That's just a piece of gossip.....
  • Options
    MrEd said:

And their mortgages.
  • Options
    nunu2nunu2 Posts: 1,453

nunu2 said:

I'm hearing......

.....things.

And?
    It was a joke.....
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    Banterman said:

Twitter folks now saying the likes of Jones and Bastani posting defeatist sounding posts.

Yes but that could just be the realisation that Labour aren't going to win a majority.....
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900
    Banterman said:

I'm going to have to physically restrain myself from trolling Bastani tonight.
  • Options
    That is a sign of a sizeable Tory majority
  • Options
    Banterman said:

Farage conceded during the EU referendum.
  • Options
    I'm at the "picking up pennies in front of a roller coaster" stage of the evening. Have laid Labour majority and Con>50%, £4 each at 49-1.
  • Options
    Really not sure you can read much into Twitter posts - and I know I keep posting them so I am a hypocrite - but nobody really knows except the exit poll people. And it's quite possible they don't know either!
  • Options
    Bercow annoying me already and he's only been on 35 seconds.

Won't be watching Sky News much tonight if things are going Jezza's way....
  • Options
    ralphmalphralphmalph Posts: 2,201
    Just voted in Cheltenham. chatting to the bloke on the desk he said turnout was usually 20% of people eligible to vote, 1 hour to go and 66% of voters had voted and they were still coming in.

I live in the bluest of the blue wards in Cheltenham, the yellow peril infest the cheap seats the other side of town.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Yes, she isn't even a candidate: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wallasey_(UK_Parliament_constituency)
    Lol
  • Options
    TudorRose said:

MrEd said:

And their mortgages.
    And their suffering will provide a little bit of emotional compensation!
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850

So if Bozo and Raaaab both lose their seats we could have PM Priti by Christmas.

That must be a good thing, surely?
  • Options
    MrEd said:

Renters > Homeowners in London.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    So who will win the Feb 2020 election? 😀
  • Options
    slade said:

Middle classes lean Remain
  • Options
    edited December 2019

Bercow annoying me already and he's only been on 35 seconds.

Won't be watching Sky News much tonight if things are going Jezza's way....

I haven't turned it on, but I normally prefer Sky, just because of Thrasher's analysis is really good. Grrrhhhh....Is he definitely on all night?
  • Options
    alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518
    Campaigning on Election Day? Another constitutional precedent broken...
  • Options
    This is hard to believe, every candidate had to sign to agree to let brexit happen.
  • Options
    MrEdMrEd Posts: 5,578
    A couple of things re the anecdotes,

1. Looks like Tories have done well in Durham / NE (thinking Pidcock comments / early view Bishop Auckland is Tory, though Rochdale mentioned Stockton might be seeing Labour voters out;
    2. If turnout high, I think it probably benefits the Tories as more likely to be a repeat of 2016 i.e. non-voters coming out.
    3. London a bit odd. Talk Labour doing very well but some weird patterns. Johnson possibly in trouble but Labour pulling activists out of Chingford and asking for help in Battersea
    4. Walsall South going to the Tories would suggest a whole swathe of Labour seats in the Midlands are gone;
    5. We do not seem to have much from Wales, the NW and Yorkshire. Those could be key.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

IshmaelZ said:

Foxy said:

IshmaelZ said:

1900? Go for Salisbury. Its a sure thing.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,873
    Floater said:

ydoethur said:

So, important business of the day:

What drinking game are we playing tonight?

I have to work tomorrow so cant get pissed

How about I knock one back every time the Lib Dems win a seat?
    You gone T Total
  • Options

Okay. So the word now is that the mega Stockton turnout is Labour. And that's not according to Labour sources...

Doesnt Durham Uni have a campus there?
  • Options
    Still sticking with this from 2 weeks ago:

Con 43% 355 seats
    Lab 33% 215 seats
    Lib Dem 14% 15 seats
    SNP 46 seats
    Brexit Party 0 seats.
    Green 1 seat.
    Others 18 seats.

Con Majority 60

We’ll know in 30 minutes...
  • Options

What about all those millions of voters still in the polling station queues - don't they get a say?!
  • Options
    Time to unmute Owen Jones.
  • Options
    Brown trousers time!
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,359

Really not sure you can read much into Twitter posts - and I know I keep posting them so I am a hypocrite - but nobody really knows except the exit poll people. And it's quite possible they don't know either!

So why the ramping then?
  • Options
    This is my first general election since becoming a teetotaler
  • Options
    peterouldpeterould Posts: 11
    edited December 2019
    In order to get sight of the exit poll before 10pm you have to sign an NDA. No NDA, no exit poll. If you have signed the NDA and see the exit poll, you cannot reveal anything before 10pm.

I know Bercow's annoying, but even he's not annoying enough to break that NDA (if he's even signed it).
  • Options
    KentRisingKentRising Posts: 2,850
    DavidL said:

Agreed. If Canterbury is close Labour are in even deeper trouble than we think.
    Does anyone think right now that Labour are in trouble?! I think they're holding up and we could be well hung.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    It would be rather delightful if Boris lost by the vote he cast in Westminster.
  • Options
    TudorRose said:

What about all those millions of voters still in the polling station queues - don't they get a say?!
    We haven't had many tweets about screw up this time...still time for the I turned up at 9.59pm, no polling card, no id, wrong polling station and the bastards won't let me vote, type tweets...
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    TudorRose said:

We haven't had many tweets about screw ups this time...still time for the I turned up at 9.59pm, no polling card, no id, no registered at the wrong polling station and the bastards won't let me vote, type tweets...
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,545
    nunu2 said:

Okay. So the word now is that the mega Stockton turnout is Labour. And that's not according to Labour sources...

Doesnt Durham Uni have a campus there?
    Yes.

• Options
    lol at the Scottish reporter.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,873

Thanks for the update Rochdale
  • Options
    egg said:

This is hard to believe, every candidate had to sign to agree to let brexit happen.
    He probably means the FTA (or lack thereof) rather than the withdrawal deal itself.
  • Options
    Ave_itAve_it Posts: 2,411

If I didn't drink I could afford the extra CORBYN taxes!
  • Options
    The temptation to laugh at Bercow is high. But I am better than that and won't be on Sky tonight.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,685
    I think rcs1000's prediction could be near the mark.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125

Welcome to my world......
  • Options
    DavidL said:

The temptation to laugh at Bercow is high. But I am better than that and won't be on Sky tonight.

He will be insufferable if it is a hung parliament.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850
    London will not hold the balance. There are not enough marginal seats.
  • Options
    ozymandiasozymandias Posts: 1,503

Welcome to my world......
    There’s a line in airplane! like that.
  • Options
    When I did the 5Live results programme in at GE2010 we got the exit poll at about 2130.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,969

No drinkies for me this year either! (not even a bottle of bubbly on standby)
This discussion has been closed.