Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The final polls – almost

Comments

• Options
    BromBrom Posts: 3,760
    edited December 2019
    BXP part of the other 3-4% if my maths correct
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,576

When was this poll undertaken??

10th to 11th it says.
  • Options
    LD 9.3.…. Hmm
  • Options
    No BXP figure? :lol:
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Byronic said:

bIG tORY wIN INCOMING

I don't know if you saw my anecdata from earlier - but from my experience and discussions this feels about right.

E.G. I spoke to someone in Wythenshawe who told me that the Labour vote is cratering...especially on the council estates.
    Wythenshawe? Jesus wept.
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    Brom said:

3% I make it.
  • Options
    argyllrsargyllrs Posts: 155
    Scotland figures?
  • Options
    They’ve sat down and crunched this. I get the feeling that the final survation and the final YouGov mrp are now seen as the ‘big events’. 11 point lead should be healthy majority, shouldn’t it?
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,986

Yesterday and today
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited December 2019

LD 9.3.…. Hmm

Pollsters think they are somewhere between 9 and 15%....Nah...Its not 9..rerun the calcs lads.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,962
    Roll on hung parliament exit poll!
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Brom said:

3% I make it.
    You are correct, I need a calculator in bed!
  • Options
    JamesPJamesP Posts: 85
    I got 23 on Betfair for Lib Dems between 5.00-9.99%, for the overall UK result I think. Pretty pleased that I had a good feeling about the value in those odds, even if it doesn't actually happen.
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    So with that rather anticlimactic Survation pretty much showing what most other pollsters are showing, bar Comres, to bed.

Good luck to all candidates, canvassers and activists of whatever hue ahead of the big day tomorrow, get some rest now, you will need it
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    Survation site down!

Those Scottish numbers must be sensational :open_mouth:

:p
  • Options
    That’s good, wanted at least 11 but pleased Tory vote share holding firm. No evidence of Con to Lab switchers in any poll tonight.
  • Options

They’ve sat down and crunched this. I get the feeling that the final survation and the final YouGov mrp are now seen as the ‘big events’. 11 point lead should be healthy majority, shouldn’t it?

It depends how many votes are wasted in safe seats, for both parties.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Survation site down!

Their Commodore 64 couldn't take it anymore.
  • Options
    KentRisingKentRising Posts: 2,850
    HYUFD said:

Yesterday and today
    Pleasingly very, very recent.

But anyone assuming this election is in the bag for the Tories obviously didn't live through 2015, 2016 Ref, 2016 Trump, 2017, etc etc....
  • Options
    ByronicByronic Posts: 3,578
    TOPPING said:

Byronic said:

bIG tORY wIN INCOMING

In 2017 the day before the election the central case was for a 60 seat Cons majority and the odds on a Cons maj were 2/9.
    Sure, but so much has changed.

There were plenty of signals last time that Labour were doing better, from the odd poll showing Labour AHEAD, to plenty of polls showing Labour just behind (eg Survation), to the leadership figures showing Corbyn surging, to the anecdotal evidence of Corbymania, which was real and a thing. O Jeremy Corbyn....

This time, no polls show Labour ahead, no polls show Labour just behind, the leadership figures all show Corbyn still lagging badly, and there is zero anecdotal evidence for Corbymania, if anything it it is the opposite: evidence that Corbyn is toxic.

The Tories are gonna win
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    Brom said:

That’s good, wanted at least 11 but pleased Tory vote share holding firm. No evidence of Con to Lab switchers in any poll tonight.

The only poll that saw the Tories down on a previous poll was taken right in the middle of the hospital photo drama. All the rest are solid / up.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,916

LD 9.3.…. Hmm

The way my betting is going recently, I will lose my LD10-19 seats bet on the low side.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    Really, guys, it ain't over till 1. It's over and 2. The fat lady sings. So let's not start sucking each other's...etc.
  • Options

Last 3 days. Finished at 10pm this evening
  • Options

Two days; 10-11 Dec.
  • Options
    wills66wills66 Posts: 103
    LibDems on 9.3? That's very close to single digit seat numbers, which would be good for me (£) but rather bad for UK politics I think.

WillS
  • Options
    eggegg Posts: 1,749

The danger is that says Labour 34%...they get 35-36% when the work shy students turn out and Tories under perform with Flat Cap Fred doesn't fancy it in the end and they get 42%...Eeeekkk...

And why isn't tactical mentioned more often, is it because the polling companies from 92 to today haven't a clue how to capture it?
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    HYUFD said:
    To round off, on UNS Survation would give 44 Tory gains from Labour and not a single Tory loss to the LDs
  • Options

LD 9.3.…. Hmm

Pollsters think they are somewhere between 9 and 15%....Nah...Its not 9..rerun the calcs lads.
    Said that in 2015
  • Options
    I think what this Survation shows again is Remainers are switching to Labour. The question is by how much.
  • Options

Reassuringly recent.
  • Options
    edited December 2019

I think what this Survation shows again is Remainers are switching to Labour. The question is by how much.

The tragedy for them is that Corbyn has always been a Eurosceptic. It's bad luck for Remainers that just when they needed an opposition leader to be emphatically pro-EU they got Jezza.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Barnesian said:
    3% is available with those numbers.
    In Boris tummy. They were baked in a pie very early on.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,423

Mortimer said:

Byronic said:

bIG tORY wIN INCOMING

I don't know if you saw my anecdata from earlier - but from my experience and discussions this feels about right.

E.G. I spoke to someone in Wythenshawe who told me that the Labour vote is cratering...especially on the council estates.
    Wythenshawe? Jesus wept.
    Sounds about right. In Wythenshawe and Sale East 20 years ago Wythenshawe was red and Sale East was blue. Now I'd say there's no real split. Wythenshawe has become much less Labour, but Sale East much more so.

I'd still say that overall there's no chance of Con getting anywhere near a victory here though! If Lab were to lose Wythenshawe they'd be looking at sub-100 seats. Not going to happen today.
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    argyllrs said:

LD 9.3.…. Hmm

Said that in 2015
    Yes but Nick Clegg was absolutely toxic and old Wallace wasn't, more just shrug, a bit crap.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,850

Brom said:

The only poll that saw the Tories down on a previous poll was taken right in the middle of the hospital photo drama. All the rest are solid / up.
    Survation down by 3

Opinium down by 3

Comres down by 3
  • Options
    speedy2speedy2 Posts: 981
    With Survation in, my Swingometer based on the polling average is now showing a Conservative majority of 2-44.

LD are getting hit hard by voters going Labour.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,850

Brom said:

Survation down by 3

Opinium down by 3

Comres down by 3
    Oh you said CON I was on about gap
  • Options
    edited December 2019

Brom said:

Survation down by 3

Opinium down by 3

Comres down by 3
    No not lead you plonker, the Tory vote share. Read the post I was quoting.
  • Options
    Is anyone manning a polling station tomorrow?
  • Options

Brom said:

Survation down by 3

Opinium down by 3

Comres down by 3
    That’s a Labour rise but not at the expense of Con. Lab need Con switchers a lot more than they need Lib Dems
  • Options
    wills66wills66 Posts: 103
    Only two polling companies, I think, have a Tory lead now which is greater than the one they recorded at the beginning of the campaign; BMG (up 1) and Survation (up 3). Nice to see Survation continuing to buck the trend a little.

WillS.
  • Options
    egg said:

The danger is that says Labour 34%...they get 35-36% when the work shy students turn out and Tories under perform with Flat Cap Fred doesn't fancy it in the end and they get 42%...Eeeekkk...

And why isn't tactical mentioned more often, is it because the polling companies from 92 to today haven't a clue how to capture it?
    At these levels tactical voting won't do much, maybe reduce the Conservative seats by 5 max which I already take into account.
  • Options
    wills66 said:

Only two polling companies, I think, have a Tory lead now which is greater than the one they recorded at the beginning of the campaign; BMG (up 1) and Survation (up 3). Nice to see Survation continuing to buck the trend a little.

WillS.

Its really just the same. Its ~10%. Tories have squeezed Brexit, Labour have squeezed Lib Dems.
  • Options
    FF43 said:

Andy_JS said:
    If she survives the election, I have a feeling Swinson would make a decent leader of the Lib Dems. She made mistakes but those were largely due to inexperience I think. Different politics but she reminds me a bit of Margaret Thatcher. And objectively she would make a better prime minister than either Johnson or Corbyn. And by the way I am not voting for her.
    To be fair to Swinson the Lib Dems don't do well when there is clear blue / red water between the two major parties.
    They also need a period when the Tories have been in power for a long time as their success of taking Labour seats has historically been minimal.
  • Options
    Byronic said:

bIG tORY wIN INCOMING

Count no chickens, friend. Remember how much we were panicking not 24 hours ago. And indeed how content we were feeling 24 hours before that. Who knows what the next 24 hours will bring.
    I have never felt as physically sick at an exit poll as in 2017. I had thought Corbynism would be banished back to the mad place it came from. I'm in no mood for tallying poultry.
  • Options

argyllrs said:

LD 9.3.…. Hmm

Said that in 2015
    Yes but Nick Clegg was absolutely toxic and old Wallace wasn't, more just shrug, a bit crap.
    Jeremy Thorpe in 1970 wasn't yet that toxic, but the Liberals still got 8% and 6 seats.
  • Options
    Just one more poll to add:

https://imgur.com/w9FCvcr
  • Options
    Have my partner's lad coming over to do an all nighter for the election. He has started 'A' Level politics this year. If we were to try to go and watch the local count, would we be allowed in?
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    The Survation poll seems to have given the Betfair market some confidence.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:
    To round off, on UNS Survation would give 44 Tory gains from Labour and not a single Tory loss to the LDs
    And not even you believe that 😉.

“ Final Call‘. Feels like pundits on grand national day, and with no more exact science if they are this far apart.
    OGH said earlier lot of nervousness around polling companies with the final call. Why? We don’t expect them to get it right. If one of them flukes it they may dine out on gold standard status for a while, but lose the next game badly they are back where they are now.
  • Options
    Cookie said:

Byronic said:

bIG tORY wIN INCOMING

Count no chickens, friend. Remember how much we were panicking not 24 hours ago. And indeed how content we were feeling 24 hours before that. Who knows what the next 24 hours will bring.
    I have never felt as physically sick at an exit poll as in 2017. I had thought Corbynism would be banished back to the mad place it came from. I'm in no mood for tallying poultry.
    I was literally in Rome enjoying a posho rooftop party for the 2017 election. There were half naked dancers and the like. Then the exit poll came in and I felt shocked for about 10 minutes, then I went back to the Trentodoc wine and foie gras bruschetta

Strange days. It was like a Fellini film.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,269
    edited December 2019
    Final(?) ELBOW of the current campaign: 13 polls with fieldwork end-dates 8th to 11th December:

Con 43.1 (+0.1)
    Lab 33.8 (+0.9)
    LD 11.9 (-0.6)
    BXP 3.1 (NC)

Con lead 9.3 (-0.8)

Comparisons with ELBOW week-ending Sunday 8th.
  • Options
    Barnesian said:
    Thanks for updating the model over the last few weeks.
  • Options
    Seems Survation have rebooted the Commodore 64, but still not signs of the Scottish poll.
  • Options
    speedy2 said:

egg said:

At these levels tactical voting won't do much, maybe reduce the Conservative seats by 5 max which I already take into account.
    How much Impact you reckon it had in 97?
  • Options
    edited December 2019

HYUFD said:

Yesterday and today

But anyone assuming this election is in the bag for the Tories obviously didn't live through 2015, 2016 Ref, 2016 Trump, 2017, etc etc....
    Survation forecast 2017 (and 2015), Trafalgar Group had Trump ahead in Pennsylvania, Michigan and Wisconsin, Opinium and ICM had Leave ahead in 2016, not a single pollster now has Corbyn anywhere near a majority or even most seats.

Survation now puts the Tories nearer a majority of 100 than another hung parliament
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    edited December 2019
    egg said:

Because its a myth? Its mentioned far much more than it deserves.
  • Options
    If the Tories don't win this would surely be the greatest polling disaster EVER???

Can anyone think of a worse result?

At least in 2017 some pollsters were close to the voting shares.
  • Options

Final(?) ELBOW of the current campaign: 13 polls with fieldwork end-dates 8th to 11th December:

Con 43.1 (+0.1)
    Lab 33.8 (+0.9)
    LD 11.9 (-0.6)
    BXP 3.1 (NC)

Con lead 9.3 (-0.4)

Ipsos MORI tomorrow morning, Sunil!
  • Options
    Byronic said:

Cookie said:

Byronic said:

bIG tORY wIN INCOMING

I was literally in Rome enjoying a posho rooftop party for the 2017 election. There were half naked dancers and the like. Then the exit poll came in and I felt shocked for about 10 minutes, then I went back to the Trentodoc wine and foie gras bruschetta

Strange days. It was like a Fellini film.
    And there were people starting to think you weren't Sean T.....
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    Byronic said:

If the Tories don't win this would surely be the greatest polling disaster EVER???

What about Centrist Phone, he reckons the real lead is only 2.8% ;-)
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,960
    Election day.

And now for my forecast.
    Conservative    377
    Labour 183
    LibDem 18
    SNP 48
    PC 4
    Green 1
  • Options
    kjohnw1 said:

Andy_JS said:

MattW said:

kjohnw1 said:

so what’s the recommended drink and snacks for tomorrow night?

Are you watching Sky for your full dose of John Bercow or something else?

If Sky, probably meths and lampreys.
    Bercow will be in a foul mood tomorrow if this result happens.
    I will take great delight in watching bercows face if it’s a Tory landslide
    He'll also have the honour of being the first ex Speaker that doesn't get a sinecure in the House of Lords.
  • Options

Con 43.1 (+0.1)
    Lab 33.8 (+0.9)
    LD 11.9 (-0.6)
    BXP 3.1 (NC)

Con lead 9.3 (-0.8)

Hence the "Final(?)" :)
  • Options
    argyllrs said:

Have my partner's lad coming over to do an all nighter for the election. He has started 'A' Level politics this year. If we were to try to go and watch the local count, would we be allowed in?

The gallery maybe, you need a ticket for the main count
  • Options
    RobD said:

Odd that the black line is trending sharply down at the end when the final black circles are above the trendline.

Is that due to older ones falling out?
  • Options
    Ah, I haven't felt this good since 7th June 2017.

:p
  • Options
    Ave_itAve_it Posts: 2,411
    Barnesian said:
    Its all plausible Barnesian

If its 325 do we go to a penalty shootout?

GN all remember LAB/SNP can still form a majority government. We must vote CON to beat the enemy within!

See you later today :lol:
  • Options

kjohnw1 said:

Andy_JS said:

MattW said:

kjohnw1 said:

He'll also have the honour of being the first ex Speaker that doesn't get a sinecure in the House of Lords.
    I think it would be a great mistake not to elevate him. The government should be magnanimous in victory.
  • Options

RobD said:

Odd that the black line is trending sharply down at the end when the final black circles are above the trendline.

Could be, it could also be a bug. Let me dig.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,725
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,989
    Barnesian said:
    Putney is on a knife edge. It could be a Labour gain from the Tories.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,734

Weather's going to be foul across much of the country tomorrow. Isn't it about time we allowed on-line voting?

No

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LkH2r-sNjQs
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3_0x6oaDmI
  • Options

Con 43.1 (+0.1)
    Lab 33.8 (+0.9)
    LD 11.9 (-0.6)
    BXP 3.1 (NC)

Con lead 9.3 (-0.8)

I’ll be up with sparrowsfart for the elbow.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Election day.

And now for my forecast.

Conservative    377
    Labour 183
    LibDem 18
    SNP 48
    PC 4
    Green 1
    I hope you're right, though I can't see that many Cons and so many Lib Dems simultaneously. One or the other.
  • Options

Con 43.1 (+0.1)
    Lab 33.8 (+0.9)
    LD 11.9 (-0.6)
    BXP 3.1 (NC)

Con lead 9.3 (-0.8)

Top analysis as ever Sunil hope the ELBOW comes in!
  • Options

Con 43.1 (+0.1)
    Lab 33.8 (+0.9)
    LD 11.9 (-0.6)
    BXP 3.1 (NC)

Con lead 9.3 (-0.8)

More power to your ELBOW, then.
  • Options

egg said:

Tactical voting clearly exists, or the LDs would have exactly one seat in Scotland.

Indeed, the story of Scotland in the 1979 to 1997 period is of most seats coalescing around a single non-Tory candidate.

• Options
    HYUFD said:

argyllrs said:

The gallery maybe, you need a ticket for the main count
    Thanks. Walking distance so will go and try.
  • Options
    RobD said:

So 2-3 up on the poll leads last time. Enough even if labour do better then the polls.
  • Options
    Byronic said:

Polling companies amazingly seem to be able to brush off getting things terribly wrong, reboot with a new improved model and a few years later we are all still here believing them....oh that will set me off again.
  • Options
    ExiledInScotlandExiledInScotland Posts: 1,505
    edited December 2019
    I will be interested to see the £spend per seat won when the dust settles
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Yesterday and today

Survation forecast 2017 (and 2015), Trafalgar Group had Trump ahead in Pennsylvania, Michigan and Wisconsin, Opinium and ICM had Leave ahead in 2016, not a single pollster now has Corbyn anywhere near a majority or even most seats.

Survation now puts the Tories nearer a majority of 100 than another hung parliament
    But the MRP was the gold standard last time around, and by the MRP we are within MOE of HP.

I am not comfortable. Far from it. But at least I am feeling less despondent than I was last night.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

egg said:

Tactical voting clearly exists, or the LDs would have exactly one seat in Scotland.

Indeed, the story of Scotland in the 1979 to 1997 period is of most seats coalescing around a single non-Tory candidate.

I don't think tactical voting is anywhere near as big a deal as people make out.

I do think the Lib Dems are good at putting their effort into targetting a few seats. That's not the same thing.
  • Options
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    Cookie said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Yesterday and today

But the MRP was the gold standard last time around, and by the MRP we are within MOE of HP.

I am not comfortable. Far from it. But at least I am feeling less despondent than I was last night.
    The only thing was that the first MRP was more accurate than the last one. It is really because basically all the other pollsters were shit that MRP got god like status.
  • Options
    nunu2nunu2 Posts: 1,453

Lib Dem 9%...nahhh...really...hmmm..

Survation I think you need to turn it off and on again.

No they dont. Labour is simply coalescong the Remain vote.
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

Could be, it could also be a bug. Let me dig.
    Looks like you are right, some good polls dropping out.

These are the Tory leads for the last three days, and the average at the end.

[ 5. 6. 7. 9. 9. 10. 10. 10. 10.8 11. 12. 12. 13. 14. ] 9.9
    [ 5. 6. 7. 9. 9. 10. 10. 10.8 12. 12. 13. ] 9.4
    [ 5. 6. 9. 9. 10. 10. 10.8 12. 12. ] 9.3
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Is anyone manning a polling station tomorrow?

I'll be doing the count so will miss all the drama. Play nice everyone.
  • Options
    Brom said:

Brom said:

Survation down by 3

Opinium down by 3

Comres down by 3
    That’s a Labour rise but not at the expense of Con. Lab need Con switchers a lot more than they need Lib Dems
    Correct.
    Labour in theory cant get above their 2017 result in terms of vote share.

But that small share for Farage can still ruin everything and another Hung Parliament may be the result.

An example of how Farage could screw the result:

Current National average:

CON 44
    LAB 34
    LD 11
    BRX 3

If the Brexit party stood in all seats it would be:

CON 41
    LAB 34
    LD 11
    BRX 6

If the Brexit party withdrew completely:

CON 47
    LAB 34
    LD 11

So in Labour seats due to Farage the swing could be just 2.5%, a majority of around 14, just 7 MP's above the finish line.
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    Barnesian said:

Barnesian said:
    Putney is on a knife edge. It could be a Labour gain from the Tories.
    MRP has it going Labour by 3% along with Chipping Barnet.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1LfRjAazZUbSjAOQ0w_ctAPWKfi5hBKilNj0LvuIZp9U/edit#gid=0
  • Options
    viewcode said:

Weather's going to be foul across much of the country tomorrow. Isn't it about time we allowed on-line voting?

No

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LkH2r-sNjQs
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3_0x6oaDmI
    We have a system that works so incredibly well. Why risk it? Let’s innovate. Let’s have ballot papers with barcodes that facilitates electronic counting etc.
  • Options
    nunu2nunu2 Posts: 1,453

LD 9.3.…. Hmm

If it's not 9% then the Labour goes down. Which I think is unlikely. It will be closer to 9% than 15%
  • Options
    Still room for the CORBYNISTA swing!

Get out there and vote CON!
  • Options
    nunu2 said:

Lib Dem 9%...nahhh...really...hmmm..

Survation I think you need to turn it off and on again.

No they dont. Labour is simply coalescong the Remain vote.
    I don't disagree, but I think 9% is still too low. Jezza is still toxic to many and so I think they will get more than that....especially as in your Bath's of the world they will vote en-masse Lib Dem.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,413
    Andy_JS said:
    Her restaurant reviews in The Spectator are wonderful.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

egg said:

I don't think tactical voting is anywhere near as big a deal as people make out.

I do think the Lib Dems are good at putting their effort into targetting a few seats. That's not the same thing.
    Fortunately we can use data to make a call on this. How different at a constituency level are list votes in Scotland and consituency votes? If - for some seats - they are significantly different, then that suggests there is tactical voting. People choose at the list level who they really support, and then choose tactically for someone with a chance of winning at the constituency level.
  • Options
    funkhauserfunkhauser Posts: 325
    edited December 2019
    rcs1000 said:

kjohnw1 said:

Andy_JS said:

MattW said:

kjohnw1 said:

I think it would be a great mistake not to elevate him. The government should be magnanimous in victory.
    Agree, if it was anyone else, but after the games he's played over the past three years with parliamentary procedure,the serious bullying allegations that were not properly investigated & his blatant bias, No.
This discussion has been closed.