Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The final polls – almost

Comments

• Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,699
    kle4 said:

Andy_JS said:

Is anyone manning a polling station tomorrow?

I'll be doing the count so will miss all the drama. Play nice everyone.
    Will you be counting votes?
  • Options
    Wulfrun_PhilWulfrun_Phil Posts: 4,602
    edited December 2019
    It was a shock that YouGov weren't publishing another poll on Wednesday. I'd been expecting one because I had until now been labouring under the illusion that because YouGov's fieldwork was conducted over 4-10 December, the 9% Con lead in their poll was based on all observations over that period. i.e. too wide a period on which to base a final call poll.

However, I had overlooked the write up on their "key findings" report which states that:
    "Since the weekend the Conservative lead over Labour in our model has shrunk from 11% to 9%, which has also brought down the estimated size of the Tory majority." That and the daily graph in the report indicate that the lead fell to 9% only on 10th December. So all the other earlier polling must only have been used to calibrate the constituency modelling before it was scaled back to match the 10th December final polling lead.

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/articles-reports/2019/12/10/key-findings-our-final-mrp-poll

The key point is that the ability of the Conservatives to hold a 9% lead in the final YouGov needs to be put into the context that the poll was conducted on an exceptionally ropy campaigning day for them, what with all the fuss going on about the photo of the kid at the hospital.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,010

rcs1000 said:

Election day.

And now for my forecast.

Conservative    377
    Labour 183
    LibDem 18
    SNP 48
    PC 4
    Green 1
    I hope you're right, though I can't see that many Cons and so many Lib Dems simultaneously. One or the other.
    Don't forget the Conservatives were down at 165 seats in 1997. Once you get past a certain level in FPTP, you can start to lose seats really fast.
  • Options
    nunu2nunu2 Posts: 1,453

nunu2 said:

Lib Dem 9%...nahhh...really...hmmm..

Survation I think you need to turn it off and on again.

No they dont. Labour is simply coalescong the Remain vote.
    I don't disagree, but I think 9% is still too low. Jezza is still toxic to many and so I think they will get more than that....especially as in your Bath's of the world they will vote en-masse Lib Dem.
    The libdem vs Labour share is somewhat a double edged sword for Remain.
  • Options
    eggegg Posts: 1,749
    Byronic said:

Cookie said:

Byronic said:

bIG tORY wIN INCOMING

Count no chickens, friend. Remember how much we were panicking not 24 hours ago. And indeed how content we were feeling 24 hours before that. Who knows what the next 24 hours will bring.
    I have never felt as physically sick at an exit poll as in 2017. I had thought Corbynism would be banished back to the mad place it came from. I'm in no mood for tallying poultry.
    I was literally in Rome enjoying a posho rooftop party for the 2017 election. There were half naked dancers and the like. Then the exit poll came in and I felt shocked for about 10 minutes, then I went back to the Trentodoc wine and foie gras bruschetta

Strange days. It was like a Fellini film.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kp2wlIMBcJA&list=PLAA422C11A1F18EBA&index=4
  • Options
    argyllrs said:

Have my partner's lad coming over to do an all nighter for the election. He has started 'A' Level politics this year. If we were to try to go and watch the local count, would we be allowed in?

No. You’ll need passes from one of the candidates.
  • Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352
    edited December 2019
    Survation have now edited it to include BXP on 3.1. AP is "another party".

https://twitter.com/Survation/status/1204920329166106626
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited December 2019
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Election day.

And now for my forecast.

Conservative    377
    Labour 183
    LibDem 18
    SNP 48
    PC 4
    Green 1
    I hope you're right, though I can't see that many Cons and so many Lib Dems simultaneously. One or the other.
    Don't forget the Conservatives were down at 165 seats in 1997. Once you get past a certain level in FPTP, you can start to lose seats really fast.
    You can see that in the YouGov MRP charts, really quite small changes when on the barrier as the Tories are at 9% lead (in their model). Sub 1% moves have significant swings in number of seats.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Election day.

And now for my forecast.

Conservative    377
    Labour 183
    LibDem 18
    SNP 48
    PC 4
    Green 1
    So a Labour collapse in the north then?
  • Options

It was a shock that YouGov weren't publishing another poll on Wednesday. I'd been expecting one because I had until now been labouring under the illusion that because YouGov's fieldwork was conducted over 4-10 December, the 9% Con lead in their poll was based on all observations over that period. i.e. too wide a period on which to base a final call poll.

However, I had overlooked the write up on their "key findings" report which states that:
    "Since the weekend the Conservative lead over Labour in our model has shrunk from 11% to 9%, which has also brought down the estimated size of the Tory majority." That and the daily graph in the report indicate that the lead fell to 9% only on 10th December. So all the other earlier polling must only have been used to calibrate the constituency modelling before it was scaled back to match the 10th December final polling lead.

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/articles-reports/2019/12/10/key-findings-our-final-mrp-poll

The key point is that the ability of the Conservatives to hold a 9% lead in the final YouGov needs to be put into the context that the poll was conducted on an exceptionally ropy campaigning day for them, what with all the fuss going on about the photo of the kid at the hospital.

Very good point. I was initially worried as well, but after discovering that, and seeing tonight's polls, I'm very confident we'll get a tory majority. Probably between 340 and 350 seats.
  • Options
    I'm old enough to remember the SLab ramping on the previous thread, so a quick reality check from yer pals at Survation:

SNP 45.6%
    Tory 27.4%
    Lab 14.8%
    Lib 9.6%
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,972

I'm old enough to remember the SLab ramping on the previous thread, so a quick reality check from yer pals at Survation:

SNP 45.6%
    Tory 27.4%
    Lab 14.8%
    Lib 9.6%

*puts away KLAXON* :(
  • Options

SNP 45.6%
    Tory 27.4%
    Lab 14.8%
    Lib 9.6%

It's a subsample, the MoE is too high to conclude anything. Let's wait for their Scotland only poll (which has a proper sample size).
  • Options
    speedy2 said:

Brom said:

Brom said:

That’s good, wanted at least 11 but pleased Tory vote share holding firm. No evidence of Con to Lab switchers in any poll tonight.

The only poll that saw the Tories down on a previous poll was taken right in the middle of the hospital photo drama. All the rest are solid / up.
    Survation down by 3

Opinium down by 3

Comres down by 3
    That’s a Labour rise but not at the expense of Con. Lab need Con switchers a lot more than they need Lib Dems
    Correct.
    Labour in theory cant get above their 2017 result in terms of vote share.

But that small share for Farage can still ruin everything and another Hung Parliament may be the result.

An example of how Farage could screw the result:

Current National average:

CON 44
    LAB 34
    LD 11
    BRX 3

If the Brexit party stood in all seats it would be:

CON 41
    LAB 34
    LD 11
    BRX 6

If the Brexit party withdrew completely:

CON 47
    LAB 34
    LD 11

So in Labour seats due to Farage the swing could be just 2.5%, a majority of around 14, just 7 MP's above the finish line.
    Again missing the point that if Farage wasn't there most of those votes would go back to Labour not to the Tories. I suspect the Brexit Party may be responsible for helping the Tories over the line in a number of normally Labour constituencies.
  • Options
    ByronicByronic Posts: 3,578

Andy_JS said:
    Her restaurant reviews in The Spectator are wonderful.
    It's an excellent and pointed article, but she uses way too many colons and semi-colons!

On that punctuational bombshell, nightynight
  • Options
    Nobidexx said:

SNP 45.6%
    Tory 27.4%
    Lab 14.8%
    Lib 9.6%

It's a subsample, the MoE is too high to conclude anything. Let's wait for their Scotland only poll (which has a proper sample size).
    *gets out KLAXON again* :)
  • Options
    DruttDrutt Posts: 1,093
    I won't make a prediction, but I will *squeal* with happiness if the Conservatives get between 335 and 341, as that will mean 52:48 division in the HoC
  • Options
    If RCS is right we are heading for a 1935 result incoming . Labour will get the kicking it deserves and will either self destruct or rebrand . Corbyn will be toast. Thank goodness . If his party won’t get rid of him the British public will do the job .
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,466
    Byronic said:

Andy_JS said:
    It's an excellent and pointed article, but she uses way too many colons and semi-colons!

It's a super article - she's a fantastic columnist.
  • Options
    kjohnw1 said:

If RCS is right we are heading for a 1935 result incoming . Labour will get the kicking it deserves and will either self destruct or rebrand . Corbyn will be toast. Thank goodness . If his party won’t get rid of him the British public will do the job .

Well I am still bracing for the nightmare sound of Huw telling us the Exit Poll says Hung Parliament.
  • Options
    fitalassfitalass Posts: 4,279

SNP 45.6%
    Tory 27.4%
    Lab 14.8%
    Lib 9.6%

Is that the Scottish poll?
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    fitalass said:

SNP 45.6%
    Tory 27.4%
    Lab 14.8%
    Lib 9.6%

No...not out yet.

https://www.survation.com/final-general-election-2019-poll-results-a-preview/
  • Options
    Nobidexx said:

Very good point. I was initially worried as well, but after discovering that, and seeing tonight's polls, I'm very confident we'll get a tory majority. Probably between 340 and 350 seats.
    To be clear, I am not a PB Tory and just calling it as I see it. The only parties I could vote for at this election without tearing my hair out in frustration would be the SDP or Yorkshire Party, as moderate Brexit-supporting parties. In the West Midlands that's a bit difficult.
  • Options
    Cookie said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

When was this poll undertaken??

Yesterday and today
    Pleasingly very, very recent.

But anyone assuming this election is in the bag for the Tories obviously didn't live through 2015, 2016 Ref, 2016 Trump, 2017, etc etc....
    Survation forecast 2017 (and 2015), Trafalgar Group had Trump ahead in Pennsylvania, Michigan and Wisconsin, Opinium and ICM had Leave ahead in 2016, not a single pollster now has Corbyn anywhere near a majority or even most seats.

Survation now puts the Tories nearer a majority of 100 than another hung parliament
    But the MRP was the gold standard last time around, and by the MRP we are within MOE of HP.

I am not comfortable. Far from it. But at least I am feeling less despondent than I was last night.
    Pollsters, with naff record even in two party days, can’t poll these days, lumpy vote, tactical replies and lies, numerous options including nationalists. It’s impossible.
  • Options
    fitalassfitalass Posts: 4,279

fitalass said:

SNP 45.6%
    Tory 27.4%
    Lab 14.8%
    Lib 9.6%

No...not out yet.

Many thanks.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    https://www.buzzfeed.com/hannahalothman/labour-north-brexit-corbyn

Barry Russell is 82 and has voted Labour all his life, but this time he will be backing Johnson instead. He’s sceptical of Labour’s pledges and said Corbyn “has been a disaster.”

“I’m not a Conservative, but I’m voting Conservative,” he told BuzzFeed News. “He’s the only person to vote for…to keep Mr Corbyn out. That man’s an idiot. He wants to nationalise coal, electric, everything. He wants to get rid of our deterrent. He’s going to give millions for this, and millions for that — where’s he going to get all the money from?"

He added: “Whether we like it or not, like I say I’ve been Labour all my life, we’ve got to have the rich people, that’s where we get our money from.”
  • Options
    Do I wait for the Scottish poll, or get an early night. I wonder if anyone is still at Survation. :D
  • Options
    RobD said:

Do I wait for the Scottish poll, or get an early night. I wonder if anyone is still at Survation. :D

No, they're releasing it at 6 am.
  • Options
    nunu2 said:

rcs1000 said:

Election day.

And now for my forecast.

Conservative    377
    Labour 183
    LibDem 18
    SNP 48
    PC 4
    Green 1
    A collapse in the Midlands as well, I expect.
  • Options

RobD said:

how is 6am "shortly" after 10pm? :o
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,594
    Byronic said:

If the Tories don't win this would surely be the greatest polling disaster EVER???

Can anyone think of a worse result?

At least in 2017 some pollsters were close to the voting shares.

So, are the assets being offshored ... or not ?

:-)
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

nunu2 said:

rcs1000 said:

Election day.

And now for my forecast.

Conservative    377
    Labour 183
    LibDem 18
    SNP 48
    PC 4
    Green 1
    A collapse in the Midlands as well, I expect.
    I really hope so - they need to be decisively defeated
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

Bet they've been on the Xmas Night Out. Those numbers were probably drawn at random.
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

Diane Abbott maths?
  • Options

speedy2 said:

Brom said:

Brom said:

That’s good, wanted at least 11 but pleased Tory vote share holding firm. No evidence of Con to Lab switchers in any poll tonight.

The only poll that saw the Tories down on a previous poll was taken right in the middle of the hospital photo drama. All the rest are solid / up.
    Survation down by 3

Opinium down by 3

Comres down by 3
    That’s a Labour rise but not at the expense of Con. Lab need Con switchers a lot more than they need Lib Dems
    Correct.

But that small share for Farage can still ruin everything and another Hung Parliament may be the result.

CON 44
    LAB 34
    LD 11
    BRX 3

CON 41
    LAB 34
    LD 11
    BRX 6

CON 47
    LAB 34
    LD 11

So in Labour seats due to Farage the swing could be just 2.5%, a majority of around 14, just 7 MP's above the finish line.
    Again missing the point that if Farage wasn't there most of those votes would go back to Labour not to the Tories. I suspect the Brexit Party may be responsible for helping the Tories over the line in a number of normally Labour constituencies.
    "The Brexit Party is not going to win any seats, according to YouGov's latest MRP which suggests at best it might hope to win a single MP (in Barnsley Central). But it will take a slice of the vote across the country, votes which would have mostly benefited the Tories. For every voter Mr Farage's candidates take from Labour, Professor Matt Goodwin explains to me, they take three off the Tories."

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2019/12/11/leavers-dont-waste-vote-brexit-party-tories-can-beat-remainers/
  • Options
  • Options

If that is correct, then the LDs will be lucky to still be on 12 seats.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,466

RobD said:

Why of all the lazy, goodfornothing....

:lol: night all.
  • Options

speedy2 said:

Brom said:

Brom said:

Survation down by 3

Opinium down by 3

Comres down by 3
    Correct.

CON 44
    LAB 34
    LD 11
    BRX 3

CON 41
    LAB 34
    LD 11
    BRX 6

CON 47
    LAB 34
    LD 11

I think is a bit of both to be honest, can’t be owned one way or other. There was work on seats farage pulled out, 4 voters 3 onto tory 1 to labour, so if you drop them back In they don’t suck more Tory votes than labour ones? But there can be huge difference in mindset of voters in Tory leave heartlands and labour leave heartlands so yes, I agree in principle, some labour leave far more comfortable voting brex than Tory, so down comes labour share, but not by equivalents, there will be plenty Tory attracted by brex option unless we are in mindset why would they be so silly, but it’s not silly just a dislike of Boris, or his deal, or just cult of farage telling it like it is whilst main parties slippery
  • Options
    edited December 2019

RobD said:

Are they doing via an abacus or something?
  • Options
    Scotland, Westminster voting intention:

SNP: 46% (+9)
    CON: 28% (-1)
    LAB: 15% (-12)
    LDEM: 10% (+3)
    GRN: 1% (+1)
    BREX: 1% (+1)

via @Survation, 10 - 11 Dec
    Chgs. w/ GE2017
  • Options

RobD said:

Are they doing via an abacus or something?
    They've had to reboot the Spectrum 48k.
  • Options

Chgs. w/ GE2017

:( no need for klaxon.
  • Options
    Or are those the subsample figures?
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    RobD said:

I don't know, bit concerned as no official Survation tweet. It is Britain Elects though, who normally reliable.
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    In 21 hours we'll be listening to Arthur.
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    Floater said:

Barry Russell is 82 and has voted Labour all his life, but this time he will be backing Johnson instead. He’s sceptical of Labour’s pledges and said Corbyn “has been a disaster.”

“I’m not a Conservative, but I’m voting Conservative,” he told BuzzFeed News. “He’s the only person to vote for…to keep Mr Corbyn out. That man’s an idiot. He wants to nationalise coal, electric, everything. He wants to get rid of our deterrent. He’s going to give millions for this, and millions for that — where’s he going to get all the money from?"

He added: “Whether we like it or not, like I say I’ve been Labour all my life, we’ve got to have the rich people, that’s where we get our money from.”

Where’s this getting rid of deterrent thing coming from? They said they are not. Manifesto said they are not. Unions wont let them kill those jobs. Are some papers repetitively lying that they are, voters sucked into that lie?
  • Options

Chgs. w/ GE2017

I thought you went to bed hours ago!
  • Options
    speedy2speedy2 Posts: 981

RobD said:

I don't know, bit concerned as no official Survation tweet. It is Britain Elects though, who normally reliable.
    The Survation scottish poll will be published at 6am.
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900
    rcs1000 said:

As recently as the start of October they had a poll 2 points ahead of Labour...
  • Options
    olmolm Posts: 125
    edited December 2019
    RobD said:

They stated on their website they had a sample of 2395, plus an additional Scottish sample - additional 1000 persons (and a additional Welsh sample 340, presumably that was subsumed in the UK) and a larger English sample than usual.
  • Options

kjohnw1 said:

Well I am still bracing for the nightmare sound of Huw telling us the Exit Poll says Hung Parliament.
    It’s definitely hung, after the late swing and Boris nightmare week.
    You should only expect lunacy under a full moon like this.
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    RobD said:

Might be. Main poll Scotland subsample is 735 people, with SNP 45.6%, Con 27.4%, Lab 14.8%, LD 9.6%, BXP 1.4%, Green 1.1%
  • Options
    funkhauserfunkhauser Posts: 325
    edited December 2019
    egg said:

Floater said:

Where’s this getting rid of deterrent thing coming from? They said they are not. Manifesto said they are not. Unions wont let them kill those jobs. Are some papers repetitively lying that they are, voters sucked into that lie?
    Corbyn has stated on numerous occasions that he won't press the button so what's the use of the deterrent & when Labour quickly runs out of money it will be one of the first things to be scrapped.
  • Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 3,957
    rcs1000 said:

Lib Dems 0-9 seats available at 8/1 on BF sportsbook...

I don't see it personally. I think their vote will be extremely efficient and they will win at least as many seats as they have now and maybe even go forward.

I do however think they could be in trouble in seats like North Norfolk and Westmorland and Lonsdale.
  • Options
    Andrew said:

RobD said:

Might be. Main poll Scotland subsample is 735 people, with SNP 45.6%, Con 27.4%, Lab 14.8%, LD 9.6%, BXP 1.4%, Green 1.1%
    No they did an additional Scottish sample of 1000 people.
    Plus their main UK sample was 2395, plus an additional Welsh sample of 340.
  • Options
    egg said:

speedy2 said:

Brom said:

Survation down by 3

Opinium down by 3

Comres down by 3

Correct.

CON 44
    LAB 34
    LD 11
    BRX 3

CON 41
    LAB 34
    LD 11
    BRX 6

CON 47
    LAB 34
    LD 11

I think is a bit of both to be honest, can’t be owned one way or other. There was work on seats farage pulled out, 4 voters 3 onto tory 1 to labour, so if you drop them back In they don’t suck more Tory votes than labour ones? But there can be huge difference in mindset of voters in Tory leave heartlands and labour leave heartlands so yes, I agree in principle, some labour leave far more comfortable voting brex than Tory, so down comes labour share, but not by equivalents, there will be plenty Tory attracted by brex option unless we are in mindset why would they be so silly, but it’s not silly just a dislike of Boris, or his deal, or just cult of farage telling it like it is whilst main parties slippery
    No on two counts.

Firstly, the Sunday Times YouGov had the BXP on 3% of which 4% came from 2017 Con voters and 2% from 2017 Lab voters. By definition, all of those votes were from seats which are not Conservative held because the BXP are not standing in any of those seats. About 90% of the seats they are standing in were won by Labour in 2017.

Secondly, it is obvious that in the absence of the BXP the 2017 Con voters who defected would return to the Cons as the only other Leave party standing. You cannot similarly infer that 2017 Labour Leave defectors would in the absence of the BXP return to a Remain party in the shape of Labour, given that their first choice is a Leave Party.
  • Options
    DruttDrutt Posts: 1,093
    It's election day. Night all.
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    olm said:

No they did an additional Scottish sample of 1000 people.
    Plus their main UK sample was 2395, plus an additional Welsh sample of 340.

Yeah, the 735 is after weightings, likelihood to vote, and undecideds/refused (Table 4).

Raw data before all that is indeed 1000 in Scotland, 340 in Wales (Table 1).

https://cdn.survation.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/12/12001259/Survation-Final-Poll-2019-Tables-.xlsx
  • Options

speedy2 said:

Brom said:

Brom said:

Survation down by 3

Opinium down by 3

Comres down by 3
    Correct.

CON 44
    LAB 34
    LD 11
    BRX 3

CON 41
    LAB 34
    LD 11
    BRX 6

CON 47
    LAB 34
    LD 11

I think that's spot on.
  • Options
    kyf_100 said:

rcs1000 said:

Lib Dems 0-9 seats available at 8/1 on BF sportsbook...

I don't see it personally. I think their vote will be extremely efficient and they will win at least as many seats as they have now and maybe even go forward.

I do however think they could be in trouble in seats like North Norfolk and Westmorland and Lonsdale.
    In trouble is putting it mildly in North Norfolk. The MRP gives the LDs a 99% probability of losing.

I have that result at 7/4 and am pissed off that Ladbrokes only allowed me to put £57 on and that I did not get on it at 5/1.
  • Options
    egg said:

Floater said:

No Lab are keeping the 'deterrent', but (apparently) not going to use it. As Piers M & Susanna would say (I rarely agree, but on this occasion) what kind of deterrent is that? And a very expensive one to boot.
    There would be even more money to spend if they did that. Maybe SNP would give them the pressure to get rid of it.

In any event, Lab have alas failed to fully get across the payback income benefits of investments, including nationalising national monopolies, and investing in Green deal.
  • Options
    speedy2 said:

Brom said:

Brom said:

Survation down by 3

Opinium down by 3

Comres down by 3
    Correct.

CON 44
    LAB 34
    LD 11
    BRX 3

CON 41
    LAB 34
    LD 11
    BRX 6

CON 47
    LAB 34
    LD 11

If Brexit withdraws completely it could just as easily be

CON 44
    Lab 37
    LD 11

Any Leaver who doesn't vote Con now must have an intense dislike of Con and might revert to Lab if BXP stood down.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,289
    If those are the Scottish numbers they are very bad for Con.

It implies huge tactical voting against Con.

1997 to 2015 there was no need to tactically vote against Con as they only won one seat anyway.

Then they win lots of seats in 2017. Result: Now lots of tactical voting suddenly happens to boot them out.

Very disappointing for Con - takes the gloss off the main Survation poll - and it's serious as if correct Con could lose a lot of Scottish seats.

This is also consistent with YouGov MRP which had them losing lots of Scottish seats.

After a great night of polling for Con, this is a big worry.
  • Options
    MikeL said:

My post FPT....
    "Anecdata: talked to a lawyer, staunch Tory unionist, lives in a SNP seat w/ close-ish Tory challenger … voting tactically for SNP because of Remain. Surprised me anyway."
  • Options
    My forecast

Con 314
    Lab 242
    SNP 50
    LD 18
    DUP 7
    SF 7
    PC 5
    ALL 2
    SDLP 2
    GRN 1
    IND 1 (E Devon)
    SPKR 1

NOC - all power in the hands of the DUP and LD

• Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    Can’t quite believe that Scottish poll .

That’s atrocious for Labour , and even though the Survation UK wide poll is very good for the Tories the SNP poll number because of the way the seats set up there will see Labour and the Tories routed .

And if Labour are doing that badly in Scotland then they must be doing better in England than the Survation UK poll would suggest .

This is now getting very confusing ! Oh and a word about the Lib Dems , sadly my thoughts when they went for revoke look to be playing out . That Survation is a horror show for them .

• Options
    edited December 2019

egg said:

Floater said:

Corbyn has stated on numerous occasions that he won't press the button so what's the use of the deterrent & when Labour quickly runs out of money it will be one of the first things to be scrapped.
    The real issue in the world, beyond climate change and habitat loss and poverty, but driving all of those things, is the power of superstates - US, Russia, China, India, Brazil, Nigeria, Indonesia, Pakistan (and perhaps Mexico, Bangladesh. Phillipines, Japan - over 100 mill each or even Germany, Turkey, France, UK, South Africa, over 60 mill).

Part of the reason we need a strong, EU to rebuff and hold the balance, but made up of separate states.

No state should have been allowed to attain that size. Ideally they would be broken up - various points in history the moments were missed to do so (most recently the USSR dissolution).
  • Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    What’s he talking about . They’ve released the Scottish poll and it’s a horror show for the Union .
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    Hrrrm. Way too tired to try figure this out, so will wait for tomorrow.

https://twitter.com/BallotBoxScot/status/1204928510277632003
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,755
    edited December 2019
    nico67 said:

What’s he talking about . They’ve released the Scottish poll and it’s a horror show for the Union .

Scotland (TBC)

Westminster Voting Intention

SNP:
    CON:
    LAB:
    LD:
    BXP:
    GRN:
    OTHER:

Independence Referendum Voting Intention

Full data tables will be available tomorrow.
  • Options
    "General election: What to watch out for as the results trickle in

By Michael Thrasher, election analyst"

https://news.sky.com/story/general-election-what-to-watch-out-for-as-the-results-trickle-in-11881344
  • Options
    MangoMango Posts: 1,013

Right...

Con 339
    Lab 238
    LD 13
    Green 1
    SNP 38
    Plaid 3
    DUP 8
    SF 6
    All 3
    SDLP 1

Technically the biggest Tory majority since 1987, but it will feel a bit underwhelming. More a sense of relief than triumph.

Politics is absolutely horrible at the moment and nobody will emerge from this election with much credit. We will look back on this as a low point, regardless of the result.

I think there are many lower points still ahead.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,028
    MikeL said:

1997 to 2015 there was no need to tactically vote against Con as they only won one seat anyway.

Then they win lots of seats in 2017. Result: Now lots of tactical voting suddenly happens to boot them out.

Very disappointing for Con - takes the gloss off the main Survation poll - and it's serious as if correct Con could lose a lot of Scottish seats.

This is also consistent with YouGov MRP which had them losing lots of Scottish seats.

After a great night of polling for Con, this is a big worry.

Scottish Tories vote little changed from 2017, so plenty of Scottish seats will stay blue, no worries for the Tories given their big UK lead too.

Armageddon for Scottish Labour though but SNP still polling well below 2015 levels
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,028
    edited December 2019
    nico67 said:

Hardly, SNP still well below 2015 levels which was even before the Brexit vote.

If Boris gets his majority as the main poll suggests he will of course ban indyref2 anyway, no more compromise with Nats with a Tory majority
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,843

Byronic said:

Andy_JS said:

It's a super article - she's a fantastic columnist.
    If I may politely disagree.

The author throughout presents the Corbynista's inner mindset as fact: " they don’t mind being vulnerable because vulnerable is their currency; they have plenty of pity for themselves", "their desire to renew the country mirrors their own search for self-renewal: their journey from brokenness", and so on.

These statements may well be true. But evidence is not offered to their truth and without this it becomes telepathy or cod-psychology: did she do a mind-meld on them?

I've seen this technique used before and it pisses me off every time. People telling me what their antagonist's motives are aren't doing journalism, they're writing a script.

• Options
    Gabs3Gabs3 Posts: 836
    Truly horrific. The British Left are horrible. I am ashamed I ever counted myself among them.
  • Options
    Gabs3 said:

Truly horrific. The British Left are horrible. I am ashamed I ever counted myself among them.
    I think some of the British left are horrible - the lump that has seized control of Labour - I suspect the majority of the British Left are as appalled and repulsed by this as we are - I just wish they'd get their act together and regain control of their party. I hope the electorate give them sufficient incentive to do so.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,843
    @AndyJS, @CarlottaVance : I swear to goodness I could get by by just reading your posts: thank you for your hard work.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Election day.

And now for my forecast.

Conservative    377
    Labour 183
    LibDem 18
    SNP 48
    PC 4
    Green 1
    I am revising my forecast. I now think Conservative 376, Independent 1. I think that lady in East Devon makes it.
  • Options
    Front pages - no surprises - but slightly disappointed that the Guardian went for Corbyn in the end:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/dec/12/what-the-papers-say-as-britain-goes-to-the-ballot-box?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    Gabs3 said:

Tarring Labour with the vile actions of completely separate campaigners of the Social Workers Party is utterly disingenuous.

They may want Corbyn to beat Johnson, just as EDL and BNP would want Johnson to beat Corbyn. But they are not the responsibility of Corbyn or his party. That's a ridiculous suggestion.
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    olm said:

Gabs3 said:

Tarring Labour with the vile actions of the **Social Workers Party** is utterly disingenuous of you.
    They may want Corbyn to beat Johnson, just as EDL and BNP would want Johnson to beat Corbyn. But they are not the responsibility of Corbyn or his party. That's a ridiculous suggestion.
    Point of order, I believe the BNP support their fellow subjects of EHRC investigation.
  • Options
    edited December 2019

olm said:

Gabs3 said:

Tarring Labour with the vile actions of the **Social Workers Party** is utterly disingenuous of you.
    Point of order, I believe the BNP support their fellow subjects of EHRC investigation.
    Lol, I think not. They gush praise for Johnson regularly...
    Unsurprising, since Johnson is himself a notorious anti-Semite...

He wrote of 'Jewish oligarchs' running the media.

Another book of his portrays a Jewish character, Sammy Katz, with a “proud nose and curly hair”, and paints him as a malevolent, stingy, snake-like Jewish businessman who exploits immigrant workers for profit.

Johnson also, as editor of the Spectator, against protestations, chose to publish articles by his mate Taki Theodoracopulos who boasted of being “an antisemite”, is a racist, and who wrote of the 'global Jewish conspiracy'. Alas Johnson could no longer help his mate, as Johnson was then infamously fired for plagiarism.

On top of that, the Tories are investigating, at least 5 counts of anti-Semitism amongst their current crop of candidates for MPs... But decisions not taken before the election. (Unlike SNP etc... who acted swiftly to deselect and disown).

• Options
    edited December 2019
    I know at least Nick Griffin voiced his support for Corbyn last year.

Didn't they also campaign for Remain because at least they iz white innit?
  • Options
    olm said:

Gabs3 said:

Tarring Labour with the vile actions of completely separate campaigners of the Social Workers Party is utterly disingenuous.

We can look at what is done in the Labour Party if you prefer...

https://www.news.sky.com/story/amp/12-shocking-claims-of-abuse-in-leaked-labour-antisemitism-dossier-11879053
    At Labour's 2017 conference, a member said he shared a table with two delegates he did not know who agreed Jews were "subhuman", "didn't deserve to be allowed to define what constitutes antisemitism" and should be "grateful we don't make them eat bacon…

A party member said: "The only reason we have prostitutes in Seven Sisters is because of the Jews"

One person listed 22 examples of antisemitic abuse directed at him at local party meetings, including being called "a Tory Jew", "a child killer", "Zio scum", being told "he's good with money", "to shut the f*** up, Jew" and "Hitler was right"
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    olm said:

olm said:

Gabs3 said:

Lol, I think not. They gush praise for Johnson regularly...
    Unsurprising, since Johnson is himself a notorious anti-Semite...

He wrote of 'Jewish oligarchs' running the media.

Another book of his portrays a Jewish character, Sammy Katz, with a “proud nose and curly hair”, and paints him as a malevolent, stingy, snake-like Jewish businessman who exploits immigrant workers for profit.

Johnson also, as editor of the Spectator, against protestations, chose to publish articles by his mate Taki Theodoracopulos who boasted of being “an antisemite”, is a racist, and who wrote of the 'global Jewish conspiracy'. Alas Johnson could no longer help his mate, as Johnson was then infamously fired for plagiarism.

On top of that, the Tories are investigating, at least 5 counts of anti-Semitism amongst their current crop of candidates for MPs... But decisions not taken before the election. (Unlike SNP etc... who acted swiftly to deselect and disown).

Erratum: I'm tired, and I'm confused by the sheer number of times Johnson's been called out. My bad.
    So: Johnson was allegedly fired from Times for making up quotes, and not from Spectator.
    His (known) plagiarism allegation was more recent, over the London Bridge terror incident.
  • Options

The BNP supports Brexit and the UK leaving the ECHR.
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    Gabs3 said:

olm said:

Gabs3 said:

https://www.news.sky.com/story/amp/12-shocking-claims-of-abuse-in-leaked-labour-antisemitism-dossier-11879053
    At Labour's 2017 conference, a member said he shared a table with two delegates he did not know who agreed Jews were "subhuman", "didn't deserve to be allowed to define what constitutes antisemitism" and should be "grateful we don't make them eat bacon…

A party member said: "The only reason we have prostitutes in Seven Sisters is because of the Jews"

One person listed 22 examples of antisemitic abuse directed at him at local party meetings, including being called "a Tory Jew", "a child killer", "Zio scum", being told "he's good with money", "to shut the f*** up, Jew" and "Hitler was right"
    I'm not defending Labour for their dealing with anti-Semitism, I'm saying not to be disingenuous with the truth and tar them with actions of Social Workers Party, that is outrageous.

As for the allegations against Labour, I'm not minimising them, I deplore the inaction of both Conservative and Labour on anti-Semitism.

I hope readers would also note that both Labour and Conservatives have failed to deal with anti-Semitism, and other prejudice, as effectively as they should. I don't know the comparative prevalence, but too much.
    You mentioned a report on Labour, I've seen it, some of it is horrific, other parts or not anti-Semitism or are unfair, alas it's not independent, quite biased (I'm not suggesting they should write, but should be treated with due caution until an independent evaluation). Conservatives have also: let members back in, taken months to investigate, and currently not acting swiftly with prospective MPs, and I've heard shocking anecdotal reports about them too (as well as other prejudice being rife). An independent report is needed there too.
  • Options
    olm said:

Gabs3 said:

olm said:

Gabs3 said:

I'm not defending Labour for their dealing with anti-Semitism, I'm saying not to be disingenuous with the truth and tar them with actions of Social Workers Party, that is outrageous.

I condemned the British Left as a whole. I did not specify Labour. Although the SWP and Labour are two peas in a pod these days. One blends easily into the other.
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    rcs1000 said:

The BNP supports Brexit and the UK leaving the ECHR.
    Really? Memory must be failing me then, I was sure I read something at the time about at least some of their supporters doing it.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Election day.

And now for my forecast.

Conservative    377
    Labour 183
    LibDem 18
    SNP 48
    PC 4
    Green 1
    I am revising my forecast. I now think Conservative 376, Independent 1. I think that lady in East Devon makes it.
    I agree on E Devon.

I also think PC gain Ynys Môn (very tight), and retain their others, making 5.

I also predict in N Ireland:

SF 7
    DUP 7
    All 2
    SDLP 2

SF gain Belfast North
    Alliance gain Belfast East & North Down
    SDLP gain Belfast South & Foyle

DUP lose Belfast East, Belfast North, Belfast South
    SF lose Foyle
  • Options
    Gabs3 said:

olm said:

Gabs3 said:

olm said:

Gabs3 said:

I condemned the British Left as a whole. I did not specify Labour. Although the SWP and Labour are two peas in a pod these days. One blends easily into the other.

That's a fair point, I apologise. Though I stand by point between replace the word 'Labour' for the 'Left as a whole'. As I still think that's very unfair. Any more than tarring the right as a whole for the actions of EDL...
  • Options
    I can't sleep.

This has never happened to me before.
This discussion has been closed.