Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Getting Brexit Done

Comments

• Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,274
    edited December 2019
    glw said:

I'm turning into a right old codger in middle age, but I love how low rent UK elections are. I want to cast my vote in a plywood booth in the village hall, not on an iPad.

Having many thousands of people involved all across the country, and millions of bits of paper to be counted, is a good thing from a security point of view. It makes stealing an election and getting away with it a tricky thing to do.
    Yes, there are so many council staff involved, and hardly any opportunities for an individual to act alone, that a conspiracy would be very hard to get away with. You’d need several people in on the job. Best chance for a large scale fraud would be to switch ballot boxes on the way from the polling station to the count - you’d need both people in the car to be in on it, plus the polling station staff (if different), you’d need a spare ballot box and official seal, a supply of exact replica ballot papers, plus the forms the polling station is required to complete that go in the box before it is sealed. Someone at the polling station would need to text you the number of ballot papers that are in the box at 10pm to wherever the substitute box is being held, then accomplices would need to count out the right number of papers, complete the forms, seal the box, engineer the switch, and get to the count without any suspicious delay.

There may be other failsafes I am not aware of.
  • Options

Poets for Jezza seems like an even less successful idea than the infamous Tories for Nick Palmer...

NPxMP easily beat the UNS in 2010
  • Options
    kle4 said:

kjohnw1 said:
    Given the youthquake was apparently not actually a thing, that might be focusing on the wrong target when its 35-54 year old women who are the key, IIRC.
    Like last time.....
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,744
    IanB2 said:

glw said:

I'm turning into a right old codger in middle age, but I love how low rent UK elections are. I want to cast my vote in a plywood booth in the village hall, not on an iPad.

Having many thousands of people involved all across the country, and millions of bits of paper to be counted, is a good thing from a security point of view. It makes stealing an election and getting away with it a tricky thing to do.
    Yes, there are so many council staff involved, and hardly any opportunities for an individual to act alone, that a conspiracy would be very hard to get away with. You’d need several people in on the job. Best chance for a large scale fraud would be to switch ballot boxes on the way from the polling station to the count - you’d need both people in the car to be in on it, plus the polling station staff (if different), you’d need a spare ballot box and official seal, a supply of exact replica ballot papers, plus the forms the polling station is required to complete that go in the box before it is sealed. Someone at the polling station would need to text you the number of ballot papers that are in the box at 10pm to wherever the substitute box is being held, then they’d need to count out the right number of papers, complete the forms, seal the box, engineer the switch, and get to the count without any suspicious delay.
    But internet voting is so cooool, it's the future!
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,174

We are going to end up where we were 6 weeks ago aren't we....Flat Cap Fred isn't going to vote Boris in the end.

You are so wrong!

Boris' comic capers with JCBs, delivering milk, and hilariously hiding in a fridge will win the day. It would have been like Benny Hill in his heyday fighting the first 1974 election instead of Heath. Nailed on landslide!
  • Options
    HenriettaHenrietta Posts: 136
    edited December 2019

Omnium said:

Foxy said:

dr_spyn said:

It has been quite a strange campaign in that there hasn't been the chain letter campaigns (other than the pitiful 40 person one to the Guardian, where half of them aren't even able to vote in the UK), no Panorama specials "exposing" the dodgy backgrounds of the leaders or the soft soap at house with specials and few celebs making personal appearances / making hypocritical campaign videos.

https://twitter.com/M_Star_Online/status/1204816888389390337

115 Poets for Corbyn.
    There was an old man of the left,
    Whose popularity gave him some heft,
    He taxed the few,
    And repelled the Jew,
    And so the opposition was cleft.
    'Poets' in the loosest possible use of the term. There are only 10 proper poets in the entire country.
    How on earth do you define 'proper poets'?

Ones that can actually write.
    English-language poetry went downhill when end-stopping went out of the window and enjambment in about nine lines in every 10 became practically obligatory.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,967
    25 and a quarter hours till we hear the bong.
  • Options
    I don’t know if she was one of the 115, but I like Wendy Cope. Anecdotal Evidence is great, particularly her sonnets in honour of Shakespeare.
  • Options
    BoysieBoysie Posts: 4
    edited December 2019
    Ms Free, I have always admired your intelligent writing but I am afraid just lately I have tended to pass over it.
    This is in no way a comment on your writing, merely a difference of opinion. Let me tell you what my difference is regarding your article above:

1) I do not disagree that "The WA only governs the terms of Britain’s departure from the EU not the future relationship with it." . However, without that first step, there can be no fulfilment of the result that concluded with the majority of the electorate (that bothered to vote) electing to leave.
    2) Your further statement "But even giving him credit for that (ignoring the fact that his renegotiation largely – though not entirely – involved a rehash of a previous version) the matters covered by the WA are very different and far fewer in number than those normally covered by an FTA." does not recognise that this first step is not a presentation of an FTA. Many commentators stated that Boris would not come back with a new WA, now they are moving on to "This isn't an FTA" or "He won't come back with an FTA"

I have no doubt that there are many obstacles to overcome, and I fully understand that there will be further negotiations to conclude a full FTA, but can I kindly suggest that we all understand that there are further steps to be taken (and obstacles to overcome) in the overall process and the article that you have written, and it articulates your position very well, is written from the standpoint of someone who really wants to Remain.

Those of us who want to leave are not persuaded.
  • Options
    kjohnw1 said:
    "Byronic" is an anagram of "I, Corbyn" :lol:
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,280
    Henrietta said:

Omnium said:

Foxy said:

dr_spyn said:

It has been quite a strange campaign in that there hasn't been the chain letter campaigns (other than the pitiful 40 person one to the Guardian, where half of them aren't even able to vote in the UK), no Panorama specials "exposing" the dodgy backgrounds of the leaders or the soft soap at house with specials and few celebs making personal appearances / making hypocritical campaign videos.

115 Poets for Corbyn.
    He taxed the few,
    And repelled the Jew,
    'Poets' in the loosest possible use of the term. There are only 10 proper poets in the entire country.

English-language poetry went downhill when end-stopping went out of the window and enjambment in about nine lines out of every 10 became practically obligatory.
    But isn’t enjambment a fantastic word? I loved it when I came across it in my kid’s homework. Pretty sure it didn’t exist when I was at school.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    FOXY

thanks for the message and I have DM'd you a reply

Apologies for delay - I had to fire up the work lap top!

Really appreciate you taking the time to respond
  • Options
    kjohnw1 said:
    Those random words in capitals remind me of someone who posts in here.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,534
    Sean_F said:

algarkirk said:

Foxy said:

dr_spyn said:

115 Poets for Corbyn.
    He taxed the few,
    And repelled the Jew,
    Where's Philip Larkin when you need him?

I want to see them starving,
    The so-called working class.
    Their wages weekly halving,
    Their women stewing grass.
    When I drive out each morning
    In one of my new suits
    I want to find them fawning
    To clean my car and boots.
    He's turned up just in time. Thanks.

• Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900
    edited December 2019
    Sterling heading to happyland it seems, probably breaks its highest in 18 months tomorrow.
  • Options
    Tories into 1.34....poll incoming?
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,288
    edited December 2019
    Betfair suddenly jumps to 1.34 - could be another encouraging poll coming?
  • Options
    ozymandiasozymandias Posts: 1,503
    RobD said:

What’s the lowest lead we’ve had this evening please?

Nine.
    Statistically we should expect at least one that is small, say 5-6%.
    Relax. Honestly.
    ozymandias, Francis. :)
    After two days of blind panic I’m zen.

It’s PB. The world isn’t the same outside. Speak to people outside this bubble away from rampers on here. Everything on here is turned up to eleven.

Spoke to three people today who hadn’t even registered the phone thing. Still voting blue. Again because of Corbyn. Spoke to committed Lib Dem. - my political sounding board. He just laughed at it. He still thinks majority for blues.

Just chill. Breathe and relax.
  • Options
    Boysie said:

Ms Free, I have always admired your intelligent writing but I am afraid just lately I have tended to pass over it.
    This is in no way a comment on your writing, merely a difference of opinion. Let me tell you what my difference is regarding your article above:

1) I do not disagree that "The WA only governs the terms of Britain’s departure from the EU not the future relationship with it." . However, without that first step, there can be no fulfilment of the result that concluded with the majority of the electorate (that bothered to vote) electing to leave.
    2) Your further statement "But even giving him credit for that (ignoring the fact that his renegotiation largely – though not entirely – involved a rehash of a previous version) the matters covered by the WA are very different and far fewer in number than those normally covered by an FTA." does not recognise that this first step is not a presentation of an FTA. Many commentators stated that Boris would not come back with a new WA, now they are moving on to "This isn't an FTA" or "He won't come back with an FTA"

I have no doubt that there are many obstacles to overcome, and I fully understand that there will be further negotiations to conclude a full FTA, but can I kindly suggest that we all understand that there are further steps to be taken (and obstacles to overcome) in the overall process and the article that you have written, and it articulates your position very well, is written from the standpoint of someone who really wants to Remain.

Those of us who want to leave are not persuaded.

Solid first post. All downhill from here? :)
  • Options
    eggegg Posts: 1,749
    egg said:

Omnium said:

Foxy said:

dr_spyn said:

115 Poets for Corbyn.
    He taxed the few,
    And repelled the Jew,

One of the finest poets around today actually contributes to this site.
    [cough]
  • Options
    argyllrsargyllrs Posts: 155
    DavidL said:

Henrietta said:

Omnium said:

Foxy said:

dr_spyn said:

115 Poets for Corbyn.
    He taxed the few,
    And repelled the Jew,

English-language poetry went downhill when end-stopping went out of the window and enjambment in about nine lines out of every 10 became practically obligatory.
    But isn’t enjambment a fantastic word? I loved it when I came across it in my kid’s homework. Pretty sure it didn’t exist when I was at school.
    Lazy Poetry
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,942
    edited December 2019
    So, after spending a month with our local campaign and speaking to activists in the North and Midlands, this doesn't feel like a repeat of 2017.

Yesterday and today we've been touring the various high streets of constituency as all deliveries were made. The expressions of support are very heartening, and they're more marked in the more working class areas. Professed lifelong Labour, Liberal (who dislike both Swinson and Revoke) and non-voters who are breaking the habit of a lifetime and voting for us. Tradesmen beeping their horns and sticking their thumbs-ups out of the window as they see our signboards and rosettes.

For the sake of balance, we've definitely also lost votes to the Liberals or NOTA. The most liberal Tories are not especially happy. I suspect down in Dorset Tory vote will largely remain the same. Perhaps dip a bit in West Dorset and MDNP, I suspect Drax's majority might grow - because the squeezable (Labour) vote is larger

I've also spoken to my brother in Alyn and Deeside - he's voting Tory for the first time in his life. As are many of his mates. Largely non voters/soft Labour voters I am told. The main narrative seems to be Tory votes coming from non voters (until the referendum) and ex Labour voters

Feels like a 1992 election that could well turn into 1983 on a good day.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

kjohnw1 said:
    "Byronic" is an anagram of "I, Corbyn" :lol:
    more likely - "my agent said I had to post under a different name"

Who saw the reference to heroin the other day?

Sounds familiar, right?
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,115

IanB2 said:

The Guardian has learned that Waltham Forest council in east London has been scrambling to deliver postal votes that should have been out by last Friday, after an administrative error delayed the process.

The problem affected 1,470 voters in three constituencies, including Chingford and Woodford Green, which Iain Duncan Smith won for the Conservatives with a majority of 2,438 at the last election and which is a key target for Labour.

Jesus. Can people whose postal voting slip has not turned up in the post just show up and vote at the polling station? There could be a few elderly IDS voters in that 1,470 number.
    Not if they voted postally because they were going to be away on holiday or business tomorrow.

Same problem as happened in Newcastle-under-Lyme last time. Labour playbook?
  • Options
    camelcamel Posts: 815
    Anyone seen kinabalu? I'm missing his leftie charm and ascerbic wit. Maybe he has gone up north to campaign for Laura.
  • Options

That jumped quite a bit with a fair bit of money very quickly.
  • Options

MikeL said:

Guardian needs to be much clearer - what does "has been scrambling" mean?

I strongly suspect all ballots have now been delivered - if not then surely Court action is possible.

Anyone who has received postal ballot can hand it in at polling station.

And for those too ill to do so, or who wanted a postal ballot because they would be out of the country?
    More: The council could not say how many voters were affected in each constituency but said all but one form had now been delivered.

It said 1,364 forms had been hand-delivered by the end of Monday and 105 more had been couriered to voters outside London on Tuesday and Wednesday.

It said “due to go out last Friday”. Those aren’t regular PV’ers, or people out of the country - those are the last batch of PVs going out to people who only applied during the campaign itself.
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,006
    IanB2 said:

kjohnw1 said:
    Those random words in capitals remind me of someone who posts in here.
    Unlikely. He noted one day that writing intemperate commentary under a known identity was high-risk, and stopped posting soon after. Connect the dots with his record of intemperate commentary, and... It would be high risk.
  • Options
    Thank you to the PBers who watch betfair like a hawk.
  • Options

How would they know?
  • Options
    wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 6,934

I don’t know if she was one of the 115, but I like Wendy Cope. Anecdotal Evidence is great, particularly her sonnets in honour of Shakespeare.

On Waterloo Bridge, where we said our goodbyes
    The weather conditions bring tears to my eyes.
    I wipe them away with a black cotton glove,
    And try not to notice I've fallen in love.

On Waterloo bridge, with the wind in my hair
    I'm tempted to skip. You're a fool! I dont care!
    The head does it's best but the heart is the boss
    I admit it before I get halfway across
  • Options
    RobD said:

Thank you to the PBers who watch betfair like a hawk.

I really should just script it :-)
  • Options
    kle4 said:

kjohnw1 said:
    Given the youthquake was apparently not actually a thing, that might be focusing on the wrong target when its 35-54 year old women who are the key, IIRC.
    Finally, I am in a key demographic. I've waited so long for this moment.
  • Options
    Welcome back @Mortimer. Thanks for the update!
  • Options
    Floater said:

FOXY

thanks for the message and I have DM'd you a reply

Apologies for delay - I had to fire up the work lap top!

Really appreciate you taking the time to respond

Hope your son is OK.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,079
    This time tomorrow I’ll be very drunk.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

Andrew said:

Andy_JS said:

Advice to people planning to spoil their paper: don't leave it completely blank in case someone at the count tries to turn it into a valid vote. Best to do something like voting for all the candidates.

Tempted to draw a phallus on it solely to see which party claims it means a vote for them.
    I like the idea of spoiling my ballot in a way that will entertain when they go through them at the count. However, at that point people are really just concentrating on whether they can claim it or not, so it wouldn't be noticed.

It always amuses me when people say they spoilt their ballot by writing a clever message on it, obviously imagining that people will be reading what they have written and thinking "ooh, good point, that told us!". The number that are actually read by anyone must be tiny.
    They’ll be seen by a council counter, maybe overlooked by a party scrutineer or two, and put aside in a special tray. Then at three in the morning the ERO and the party agents will whiz through them and decide whether they are valid or not. By that time the result is known, and unless it is particularly close or a party is close to the deposit line, no-one is that bothered what happens to them.
    Yeah, I know how it works. I've been through them a few times myself.

And at no point have we ever considered anything other than whether we could claim it as a vote. It would have to be something very clear and obviously funny to get the laugh that I would ideally like to achieve.

I suppose that it could give the counter a brief respite from the boredom.
    You’ll know then that agents look forward to it as an interesting highlight of the night, particularly in a seat where the result wasn’t in suspense. It’s a good source of tales to tell down the pub.
    Not in any I've done. Perhaps we just haven't had the comedy highlights to work with. Perhaps I'll try to come up with something overnight.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited December 2019
    Oh money is piling in. I think that is £20k in past few mins. Somebody is piling big chunks in.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

MikeL said:

Guardian needs to be much clearer - what does "has been scrambling" mean?

I strongly suspect all ballots have now been delivered - if not then surely Court action is possible.

Anyone who has received postal ballot can hand it in at polling station.

My only ever request for a postal ballot didn't show up, but as it was for police commissioner I couldn't be bothered to take it further. Just requested to be put back to the regular register as I enjoy voting in the booth.

There was nothing you could have done in any case. The most they ever do is give you s pink ballot paper for you to complete, which then gets put aside and not counted at the count. In theory I guess it might figure in a subsequent court case, but I have never heard of such, and am convinced the procedure only exists because it silences people who make a huge fuss about having lost their vote.
  • Options

How would they know?
    Survation's bound to be blue-favourable.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,927

isam said:

HYUFD said:
    Why do celebrities feel that they are adding anything or are honour bound to share their political views? The first series of Alan Partridge was hilarious, so are The Trip series'... do I feel the need to know what he thinks about politics on the News as well? Why?
    Its not that different to us posting on here, celebs just happens to have a bigger audience.
    Why doesn’t he post on here then? I don’t see why being talented in his job should elevate his views in a completely unrelated field to the point of him being on prime time tv talking about them. He certainly isn’t ‘honour bound’ to tell us all about them as he claims
  • Options

kle4 said:

kjohnw1 said:
    I'm sure we will be safe in your hands.

Right!?!
  • Options

You aren't going to wait to do an election night drinking game? Sad times.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,280
    argyllrs said:

DavidL said:

Henrietta said:

Omnium said:

Foxy said:

dr_spyn said:

115 Poets for Corbyn.
    He taxed the few,
    And repelled the Jew,

Lazy Poetry
    My favourite modern poem is Assisi by MacCaig. https://www.scottishpoetrylibrary.org.uk/poem/assisi/

It makes good use of enjambment.
  • Options

kle4 said:

kjohnw1 said:
    In your avatar Dave lee travis is looking a bit rough
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,926
    Mortimer said:

So, after spending a month with our local campaign and speaking to activists in the North and Midlands, this doesn't feel like a repeat of 2017.

Yesterday and today we've been touring the various high streets of constituency as all deliveries were made. The expressions of support are very heartening, and they're more marked in the more working class areas. Professed lifelong Labour, Liberal (who dislike both Swinson and Revoke) and non-voters who are breaking the habit of a lifetime and voting for us. Tradesmen beeping their horns and sticking their thumbs-ups out of the window as they see our signboards and rosettes.

For the sake of balance, we've definitely also lost votes to the Liberals or NOTA. The most liberal Tories are not especially happy. I suspect down in Dorset Tory vote will largely remain the same. Perhaps dip a bit in West Dorset and MDNP, I suspect Drax's majority might grow - because the squeezable (Labour) vote is larger

I've also spoken to my brother in Alyn and Deeside - he's voting Tory for the first time in his life. As are many of his mates. Largely non voters/soft Labour voters I am told. The main narrative seems to be Tory votes coming from non voters (until the referendum) and ex Labour voters

Feels like a 1992 election that could well turn into 1983 on a good day.

Thanks for the report with sources for the various anecdata
  • Options
    argyllrs said:

DavidL said:

Henrietta said:

Omnium said:

Foxy said:

dr_spyn said:

115 Poets for Corbyn.
    He taxed the few,
    And repelled the Jew,

Lazy Poetry
    Poetry should be in Room 101
  • Options
    KentRisingKentRising Posts: 2,850

Wendy isn't one of them. These 115 are very, very minor indeed.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,187
    A lump of privilege from Eton
    Recalling the plebs that he'd eaten
    He chuckled and said
    They love me instead
    Of voting to make sure I'm beaten
  • Options
    wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 6,934
    And just for old timers a bit of Wordsworth, The Lost Love
    She lived among untrodden ways
    Besides the springs of Dove
    A maid whom there were none to know
    And very few to love.

A violet by a mossy stone,
    Half hidden from the eye.
    Fair as a star when only one
    Is shining in the sky.

She lived unknown and few could know
    When Lucy ceased to be.
    But she is in her grave and,
    Oh! The difference to me
  • Options
    RobD said:

You aren't going to wait to do an election night drinking game? Sad times.
    No I am. That comes later.
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    Mortimer said:

Those five Labour held seats in North East Wales feel really key.

All pretty tight marginals, Wales has been trending Con, YouGov Welsh Barometer said they all go Con but not the YouGov MRP.

They all have small electorates - if I was Con Central Office I would put absolutely maximum resource into GOTV in those five seats.
  • Options

Likewise - hopefully just one non-tactical puke will see me through the night
  • Options
    egg said:

egg said:

Omnium said:

Foxy said:

dr_spyn said:

115 Poets for Corbyn.
    He taxed the few,
    And repelled the Jew,

[cough]
    [cough]
  • Options

isam said:

HYUFD said:
    Why do celebrities feel that they are adding anything or are honour bound to share their political views? The first series of Alan Partridge was hilarious, so are The Trip series'... do I feel the need to know what he thinks about politics on the News as well? Why?
    I think it is because their jobs are essentially vacuous yet they are materially well rewarded by society. Consequently they feel an immense sense of guilt about their lot.

By asserting that they want more redistribution it makes them feel better. Until it happens of course. Then it will be the wrong type of socialism.
    "Among artists without talent Marxism will always be popular, since it enables them to blame society for the fact that nobody wants to hear what they have to say"

Clive James
    Clive will be missed.
  • Options
    Can anyone recommend a good election night drinking game that won't lead to alcohol poisoning?
  • Options
    egg said:

Omnium said:

Foxy said:

dr_spyn said:

115 Poets for Corbyn.
    He taxed the few,
    And repelled the Jew,

Who?!
  • Options

On Waterloo Bridge, where we said our goodbyes
    The weather conditions bring tears to my eyes.
    I wipe them away with a black cotton glove,
    And try not to notice I've fallen in love.

On Waterloo bridge, with the wind in my hair
    I'm tempted to skip. You're a fool! I dont care!
    The head does it's best but the heart is the boss
    I admit it before I get halfway across
    Which book is that from?
  • Options

Can anyone recommend a good election night drinking game that won't lead to alcohol poisoning?

Drink a shot every time the Liberal Democrats win a seat.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901

Drink a bottle of whisky for every Brexit MP.
  • Options
    edited December 2019

That sounds about as an exciting as night out as one would have with Jezza....It is only at about 5am in the morning when he has gone home do you get cracking on the booze.
  • Options

OK a good election night drinking game that won't lead to sobriety either lol
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,205

HYUFD said:

If Boris wins a majority then the Withdrawal Agreement will pass and there will thus be an agreed completed Deal, No Deal will no longer be possible and FTA talks will begin with the EU and it is misleading to talk about No Deal still in such a scenario, No Deal is only no completed and passed Withdrawal Agreement.

It may be we can complete a FTA within a year and before the transition period ends or it may take a bit longer but a FTA will be done

Have we addressed this b*llocks yet?
    It was addressed in the comments to another article a few weeks back. @HYUFD was put right but seems to have forgotten. I expect he’s been busy.
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    I've not moved on from poetry since my schooldays, in that I cannot tell what is meant to be generally thought of as a 'good' example of it or not. I feel the same way about things like various gymnastics events, such as the Pommell Horse, in that it all seems very impressive but I cannot tell which is better than another.
  • Options
    HaroldOHaroldO Posts: 1,185
    Tow big issues from this general election;

1) Brexit has damaged the Tories economic prowess badly, they have been so single minded over enacting the policy they have sacrificed the high ground almost completely over fiscal pridence which has allowed Labour to thrive with their economic crankery. The checks and balances between the two lead parties over government spending etc has now gone, which in my opinion is a very long term worry.

2) Anti-Semitism has damaged Labours "progessive" credentials as badly as the above, allowing racist crankery to rear its ugly head again. By embracing a culture war based view of race they have made the subject frictional where understanding was growing year on year. Without the checks and balances here we have lost the balance we were establishing....again a long term worry.
  • Options

A shot every time the Brexit party wins a seat

And

A shot each time you manage to watch a Jeremy Vine piece all the way through so managing not to flick over to ITVs coverage instead to avoid it.
  • Options
    In times when nothing stood
    but worsened, or grew strange
    there was one constant good:
    she did not change.

Philip Larkin on the Queen's Silver Jubilee.
  • Options
    It seems quite reasonable to me that the exit poll could be wrong if these seats in the North are as close as people say
  • Options
    What is everybody drinking tomorrow night anyway ?
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,927
    edited December 2019

Do a shot of whiskey each time the LibDems win 5 seats

Down a pint of cider every time The Brexit Party win one

Have a glass of water every time someone on here mentions they spotted something first

You should be ok to drive home

• Options

Pale ale and red bull!
  • Options
    Wow! Check out what LauraK has been saying about postal voting, as quoted in the Guardian, then go straight back to your online accounts! Dynamite!
  • Options

It seems quite reasonable to me that the exit poll could be wrong if these seats in the North are as close as people say

Has been pretty good the last few elections.
  • Options
    Drink a shot everytime the BBC cuts to a count saying a declaration is imminent then nothing happnes and they have to go back
  • Options

And wrong if different directions in different regions. If tight may not be sure until 2-3am
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905

What’s the lowest lead we’ve had this evening please?

Nine.
    Statistically we should expect at least one that is small, say 5-6%.
    I don't buy the doom-laden predictions (from the Tory point of view) which state that they need something like a 7pt lead to scrape a majority. The last election, fought on the same boundaries, saw Theresa May short of an absolute majority by only nine seats based on a 2.4pt margin over Labour. A 4% lead on polling day ought to be enough for Johnson to at least scrape home.

The polls published so far this evening have been encouraging from the Conservative perspective. Whilst it's still possible for them to fall right back into Hung Parliament territory or to win by a landslide, I think there's every reason to suppose that the eventual outcome will be somewhere in between the two.

I remain confident that there will be a Tory majority of some sort at the conclusion of this election. If asked to define my confidence numerically, I'd estimate the likelihood thereof at around 80-90%.
  • Options

Drink a shot everytime the BBC cuts to a count saying a declaration is imminent then nothing happnes and they have to go back

Nobody will make it past 1am....
  • Options
    RobD said:

Has been pretty good the last few elections.
    We’re surely due a wrong one for comedy value
  • Options

Wow! Check out what LauraK has been saying about postal voting, as quoted in the Guardian, then go straight back to your online accounts! Dynamite!

Except it’s crap. Even if it turns out to be true.
  • Options

Take a shot every time the SNP lose a seat? Or BXP gain one?
  • Options
    SPIN just suspended.
  • Options
    MikeL said:

SPIN just suspended.

:o
  • Options
    Our final #GE2019 Westminster voting intention on behalf of the @Telegraph, is as follows:

CON 41% (-)
    LAB 36% (+3)
    LD 12% (-)
    Other 11% (-3)

9th - 10th Dec

(changes from Savanta ComRes/Sunday Telegraph, Dec 7th)

https://t.co/SwZAJxFqTk https://t.co/PRibInIPwE
  • Options

Depends on the exit poll. It's either coffee and water so I'm ok to drive to the airport, or Barolo or somesuch.
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    £40k has been matched on the Tory Majority market in the past 15 mins or so.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Except it’s crap. Even if it turns out to be true.
    If it is true she might get a visit from Mr Plod!
  • Options
    isam said:

isam said:

HYUFD said:
    Its not that different to us posting on here, celebs just happens to have a bigger audience.
    Why doesn’t he post on here then? I don’t see why being talented in his job should elevate his views in a completely unrelated field to the point of him being on prime time tv talking about them. He certainly isn’t ‘honour bound’ to tell us all about them as he claims
    Maybe he does? Maybe he hasnt heard of the site? Maybe he is anti-betting? Ive really no idea.

Being talented as an actor, sportsperson or musician allows someone to create a brand through which they can sell overpriced clothes, books, dvds and also political ideas, its just part of modern life. I agree he is not honour bound to share his view but he is just as entitled to share them as we are.
  • Options

I got a nice bottle of Chateaux Musar to sip while I watch the BBC and wait to see if my broadband goes down again.
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited December 2019

Our final #GE2019 Westminster voting intention on behalf of the @Telegraph, is as follows:

CON 41% (-)
    LAB 36% (+3)
    LD 12% (-)
    Other 11% (-3)

9th - 10th Dec

Something for everyone then, tonight ? I suppose it depends if any other polls follow that narrower lead. Isn't that the first 5 for a long while ?
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    The Tories will be fuming at LK as well - it just panics Labour voters into turning out tomorrow. She really should have been more careful. And people shouldn't have been leaking to her.
  • Options

egg said:

Omnium said:

Foxy said:

dr_spyn said:
    He taxed the few,
    And repelled the Jew,

Who?!
    Thank you 😌
    [ahem]
    Mighty I stand in rampaging light
    March morning on Aventine,
    Thyrsus in hand, the blossom bright,
    Leaves once again upon my vine.
    Soft hands hold the honey soaked thyrsus,
    A robe gay with barbaric gold.
    Smooth brow, with ivy's clustering berries,
    A wreathe binding myrrh-scented tresses.
    I am waiting.
    Absorbed in sweet thoughts,
    Of rich-haired Nymphai dwelling the dells of Nysa
    In their sweet-smelling caves,
    Beckoned from familiar sober manner
    By the overflowing and intoxicating power of nature.
    The mad Nymphai arrive to a beat,
    Dancing through groves with lightly leaping feet,
    Their heads thrown backwards, dishevelled hair,
    Sacred fawnskin flail at their loins,
    In their hands, swords and serpents,
    Staffs entwined with ivy, headed with pine-cone.
    They come again to the rite rejoice,
    Will dismember me now
    And devour -
    Eat this body, the flesh my spirit inhabits,
    Drink a toast with my deific blood,
    Thankfulness for the fruit that banishes despair.
    Nourished with blood and body,
    They grow into my likeness,
    A temple to my glory, great
    Becomes the mystery of our cult.

Hear me Death in your empire unconfined,
    Extending to mortal tribes of every kind.
    On thee the portion of our time depends,
    Where your absence lengthens life,
    Your presence life ends.

But a Soul divine and immortal,
    So doomed to live the grievous circle,
    Will rise again, yes,
    Rise again behind brief rest, will you my dust.
    Immortal life, Immortal life,
    I rise again where I am sown,
    This spring on Aventine,
    Leaves once again upon my vine.
  • Options
    RobD said:

MikeL said:

SPIN just suspended.

:o
    Survation showing 2% Labour lead?
  • Options

CON 41% (-)
    LAB 36% (+3)
    LD 12% (-)
    Other 11% (-3)

9th - 10th Dec

What did I say....
  • Options

The Tories will be fuming at LK as well - it just panics Labour voters into turning out tomorrow. She really should have been more careful. And people shouldn't have been leaking to her.

Bragging (at being in the know), not leaking.
  • Options

CON 41% (-)
    LAB 36% (+3)
    LD 12% (-)
    Other 11% (-3)

9th - 10th Dec

Something for everyone then, tonight ?
    Lowest Tory lead yet?
  • Options

Slightly boring question

My #carling4tennents didN t take off so I ll be on bud then Voddy
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

A lump of privilege from Eton
    Recalling the plebs that he'd eaten
    He chuckled and said
    They love me instead
    Of voting to make sure I'm beaten

Evening. Thought you must have gone to NW Durham.
  • Options
    £100k matched on Betfair now in past 15 mins...big boys playing.
  • Options
    Five pointer! Hung Parliament!
  • Options

CON 41% (-)
    LAB 36% (+3)
    LD 12% (-)
    Other 11% (-3)

9th - 10th Dec

Something for everyone then, tonight ? I suppose it depends if any other polls follow that narrower lead. Isn't that the first 5 for a while ?
    First, and perhaps only, of the campaign.
This discussion has been closed.