Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Can the Scottish Tories without Ruth Davidson hold onto most o

Comments

• Options
    glw said:

RobD said:

Didn't Nokia go bust because they couldn't adapt to the smartphone era?

No. Nokia still exists. Nokia sold their mobile phones business to Microsoft, which then ran it down and eventually flogged the remains to Foxconn. The other side of Nokia — Nokia Networks, the bit that makes carrier equipment for building mobile networks — still exists and is doing reasonably well.

New Nokia mobile phones are designed and sold by a Finnish company called HMD, which licenses Nokia IP, with the manufacturing done by various ODM companies.
    The Nokia phones are worth looking at again, quite good specs and value.
  • Options
    RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,977
    Interesting ComRes poll. Will also be interesting to see what other polls are saying. Had we had the tight survation poll at this point in 2017?
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    edited December 2019
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,972
    Alistair said:
    The overlapping fieldwork dates for that poll makes it even stranger. Half the poll would have been taken during the fieldwork for the last poll?
  • Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352
    edited December 2019
    It appears like it, starting to appear on other mainstream twitter accounts. Think it's the latest Gina Miller one. I only posted once it had gone up on a relatively trustworthy account.
  • Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 3,956
    If SeanT were still here, he'd be wobbling like a jelly right now.
  • Options
    Omnium said:

Henrietta said:

DeClare said:

Henrietta said:

DeClare said:

RobD said:

MikeL said:

Con Maj just gone 1.36 - shortest ever.

What was it at 9.59pm in GE 2017?
    A week before it was at 80% probability. Can someone convert that into fractional odds for me?

http://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2017/06/01/more-worrying-numbers-for-team-theresa-as-doubts-amongst-punters-rise/
    1/5 fractional 1.20 Decimal
    Isn't 80% 1/4 fractional and 1.25 decimal?
    Yes you're right according to this:
    https://www.aceodds.com/bet-calculator/odds-converter.html
    But that doesn't make sense to me which is why I don't bet odds on!
    Incidentally the probability of a Tory majority is now 73.5% using that.
    Fractional odds x/y means (probability of event not occurring):(probability of event) = x:y.
    Decimal odds D means implied probability is 1/D.
    The trouble with fractional odds is they are not fractions, they are ratios.
    And how would you differentiate the two?

The above is wrong and should read probabilty of something when quoted 'x/y' in traditional odds is y/(y+x) - hence a three sided dice would be priced 2/1 for each runner and this 1/3 probability for each of them.
    Which is why I always try to quote odds as a percentage chance
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,731
    Alistair said:
    Oh shit. Betfair 1.4 Tory Maj - let`s see if it changes
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,171
    IanB2 said:

Byronic said:

IanB2 said:

Byronic said:

Henrietta said:

Byronic said:

fpt

NorthofStoke said:

What I can't help wondering is whether social media are exposing the long standing crassness (and worse) of many political party members and candidates or whether the standard has slipped badly in recent years. If the latter, is social media participation itself accelerating the decline in intelligence and awareness and (God help us) is this true of the whole population?

++++++

The troubling evidence is that IQs right across the advanced world ARE now falling, after many decades of ascent (the so-called "Flynn Effect")

https://www.nbcnews.com/think/opinion/iq-rates-are-dropping-many-developed-countries-doesn-t-bode-ncna1008576

I doubt intelligence levels will have dropped in educated families that don't allow children to use "smart"phones.
    That is one of the theories already canvassed. IQ started declining around 2000-2005, as smartphones became ubiquitous. It is maybe significant that the decline is concentrated in the rich world - where smartphones, the Net, social media, have a greater purchase on daily life.

Anecdotally, I have noticed that the younger generation - under 30 - lack sharpness and wit. They are more earnest. Less curious. I can't work out if this is because they have to be more sober and sensible, given their riskier financial milieu, or whether all that is true and they are ALSO a bit thick.
    Yet Finns, the land of Nokia and early adopters of mobile telephony, have the highest IQs in Europe.
    They also have very low inequality, with good jobs providing a good lifestyle including housing. Aspiration, society and meritocracy result in higher levels of education and happiness than social division, your wealth being determined by your parents, and assets being owned by the few. Who would have thought it?
    Finland also has a suicide rate about three times that of the UK

Dead flat, and no sunshine in the winter.
    Lakes and forests are beautiful in the warmer seasons. If the IQ thing is true it may have something to do with the language, which is very difficult for foreigners to master. Despite (or perhaps because of) this they have the largest number of general magazines per capita:
    Ninety percent of citizens over the age of 15 spend about 40 minutes reading a daily newspaper ... The Finnish national library system, with nearly 1,000 libraries, has the most books per capita compared to other European countries. Not surprisingly, more books are borrowed per capita from their national library system than from other European systems.

• Options
    With the new ComRes -- https://imgur.com/ahQYuVY
  • Options
    TimTTimT Posts: 6,328

TimT said:

nico67 said:

Apparently only 4 million tuned into last nights debate .

That’s woeful .

And most of them were probably the atypically interested, i.e. they'd already made their minds up. More broadly bit looks like the electorate has, for the most part, decided. It's the most obvious explanation for the flatlining of the polls.

How does Scotland ever have a second referendum? If people keep voting SNP, I don't see how it can just be denied

I have no problem in granting Scotland a second referendum post the 2021 Holyrood elections if the SNP have a majority

I also am confident they would vote no again
    My concern isn't so much with there being a second referendum. It's the prospect of a third, fourth, fifth, sixth and seventh if the independence movement can't make it across the finishing line.
    I think the Quebec model probably indicates that at some point even supporters get referendum fatigue.
    You might be proved right if the saga drags on for long enough, but I doubt it. Scotland is one of the most ancient nation states of Europe, and a very large proportion of its population is heavily invested in getting it out of the Union.
    I was not suggesting that independence would not at some point win, rather that if it went to a 3rd, 4th, 5th ... referendum without leave winning, then fatigue would probably set in.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,688
    IanB2 said:

kinabalu said:

IanB2 said:

I did have a link, but I have done my Xmas shopping, got home, and finished a bottle of wine, and so am now in the Byronic zone. How about you take my word for it? ;)

A whole bottle by 4 pm? Rock and roll.

And I have just replaced my hifi cables at not inconsiderable expense. It sounds much louder now. Largely because I have the volume turned up.
    Isn't the whole hifi cables thing snakeoil? I mean, you get some cheap thick copper cables with low resistance and hey presto the whole signal gets through! No need to spend £250 per meter, £2.50 will do just as well. :smile:
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,786

Omnium said:

Henrietta said:

DeClare said:

Henrietta said:

DeClare said:

RobD said:

MikeL said:

Con Maj just gone 1.36 - shortest ever.

What was it at 9.59pm in GE 2017?
    A week before it was at 80% probability. Can someone convert that into fractional odds for me?

http://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2017/06/01/more-worrying-numbers-for-team-theresa-as-doubts-amongst-punters-rise/
    1/5 fractional 1.20 Decimal
    Isn't 80% 1/4 fractional and 1.25 decimal?
    Yes you're right according to this:
    https://www.aceodds.com/bet-calculator/odds-converter.html
    But that doesn't make sense to me which is why I don't bet odds on!
    Incidentally the probability of a Tory majority is now 73.5% using that.
    Fractional odds x/y means (probability of event not occurring):(probability of event) = x:y.
    Decimal odds D means implied probability is 1/D.
    The trouble with fractional odds is they are not fractions, they are ratios.
    And how would you differentiate the two?

The above is wrong and should read probabilty of something when quoted 'x/y' in traditional odds is y/(y+x) - hence a three sided dice would be priced 2/1 for each runner and this 1/3 probability for each of them.
    Which is why I always try to quote odds as a percentage chance
    Wise old stick.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,293
    geoffw said:

IanB2 said:

Byronic said:

IanB2 said:

Byronic said:

Henrietta said:

Byronic said:

fpt

NorthofStoke said:

What I can't help wondering is whether social media are exposing the long standing crassness ( and awareness and (God help us) is this true of the whole population?

++++++

The troubling evidence is that IQs right across the advanced world ARE now falling, after many decades of ascent (the so-called "Flynn Effect")

https://www.nbcnews.com/think/opinion/iq-rates-are-dropping-many-developed-countries-doesn-t-bode-ncna1008576

I doubt intelligence levels will have dropped in educated families that don't allow children to use "smart"phones.
    That is one of the theories already canvassed. IQ started declining around 2000-2005, as smartphones became ubiquitous. It is maybe significant that the decline is concentrated in the rich world - where smartphones, the Net, social media, have a greater purchase on daily life.

Anecdotally, I have noticed that the younger generation - under 30 - lack sharpness and wit. They are more earnest. Less curious. I can't work out if this is because they have to be more sober and sensible, given their riskier financial milieu, or whether all that is true and they are ALSO a bit thick.
    Yet Finns, the land of Nokia and early adopters of mobile telephony, have the highest IQs in Europe.
    They also have very low inequality, with good jobs providing a good lifestyle including housing. Aspiration, society and meritocracy result in higher levels of education and happiness than social division, your wealth being determined by your parents, and assets being owned by the few. Who would have thought it?

Lakes and forests are beautiful in the warmer seasons. If the IQ thing is true it may have something to do with the language, which is very difficult for foreigners to master. Despite (or perhaps because of) this they have the largest number of general magazines per capita:
    Ninety percent of citizens over the age of 15 spend about 40 minutes reading a daily newspaper ... The Finnish national library system, with nearly 1,000 libraries, has the most books per capita compared to other European countries. Not surprisingly, more books are borrowed per capita from their national library system than from other European systems.

It’s amazing how foreigners seem so able to learn such complicated languages. At such a young age, too.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    Why did Comres have others go from 1% to 5% in their last poll? Seems odd.
  • Options
    maaarshmaaarsh Posts: 3,391
    The dates on those polls overlap - if they really include the same data for the 2nd and 3rd then something absolutely turbo charging happened to the Labour vote on 4th and 5th with the tory vote still holding solid. A little hard to believe but there we are.
  • Options
    Alistair said:
    Comres is one of the pollsters showing smaller Con leads traditionally. If this were Opinium it would be a kaboom.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    edited December 2019
    If I had the time I would be going through every poll this election period and compare the raw samples.

BMG has consistently had the lowest Con lead.

Why?

Is everyone's base samples the same and it's purely weighting/likely hood to vote or are people working of different raw samples.

How does the sample to final number compare to 2017?
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited December 2019
    Now that is very interesting, and it's even before a very close debate.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Alistair said:
    The overlapping fieldwork dates for that poll makes it even stranger. Half the poll would have been taken during the fieldwork for the last poll?
    Yes, implies Labour up 8% in the last 2 days if the data was evenly spread on the dates - a bit bonkers
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,798
    RobD said:

Edging down...

Alistair said:
    Comres is one of the pollsters showing smaller Con leads traditionally. If this were Opinium it would be a kaboom.
    Gap narrowing by 4 is still a mini kaboom.
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    maaarsh said:

RobD said:

Alistair said:
    Yes, implies Labour up 8% in the last 2 days if the data was evenly spread on the dates - a bit bonkers
    I'm going to be a bit skeptical on this one for the time being.
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 1,614
    kyf_100 said:

If SeanT were still here, he'd be wobbling like a jelly right now.
    +4 is a pretty sharp rise in such a short time scale. Channelling my inner CHB, it doesn't 'feel' right.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

RobD said:

Edging down...

Alistair said:
    A +2 Labour surge does seem out of line with other polls. All eyes on the trend.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

kinabalu said:

IanB2 said:

I did have a link, but I have done my Xmas shopping, got home, and finished a bottle of wine, and so am now in the Byronic zone. How about you take my word for it? ;)

A whole bottle by 4 pm? Rock and roll.

And I have just replaced my hifi cables at not inconsiderable expense. It sounds much louder now. Largely because I have the volume turned up.
    Isn't the whole hifi cables thing snakeoil? I mean, you get some cheap thick copper cables with low resistance and hey presto the whole signal gets through! No need to spend £250 per meter, £2.50 will do just as well. :smile:
    Probably. So far I only have the new CD to amp connector; the speaker cables are in the post. Ask me next week.
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,360
    Steady boys steady, its only one poll. It is Comres..
  • Options
    DeClareDeClare Posts: 483
    Alistair said:
    Doesn't make sense, where has the 4% come from if the LDs are the same and even the BXP has gone up slightly?
  • Options
    maaarsh said:

RobD said:

Alistair said:
    Not exactly, but yes.

We await the tables.
  • Options
    WE MOVE
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,289
    ComRes is older than Panelbase.

ComRes 2-5 Dec
    Panelbase 4-6 Dec
  • Options
    6 point lead - it's squeaky bum time!
  • Options
    Well that’s certainly very encouraging for Labour.
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905

Interesting ComRes poll. Will also be interesting to see what other polls are saying. Had we had the tight survation poll at this point in 2017?

Yes, we also had that 35% for Lab from ICM on the 2nd but that wasn't replicated in the other polls. More data required.

The Survation with the 1pt Con lead in 2017 was one of the final polls published the day before the election.
  • Options
    camelcamel Posts: 815
    Omnium said:

malcolmg said:

Hello G, not convinced by today's poll, hard to see them drop 5% in a few days with no obvious reason. Boris is an abomination and it shows what dire straits the UK is in when a lying charlatan like him is the PM. I still think we will see SNP in mid 40's seat wise and it will be bigger at Holyrood and for sure 2nd referendum.

I think that is fair but I am not convinced Scotland will vote yes in any referendum
    The winds that swirl making timings for a Scottish Indy ref favourable or otherwise must be somewhat annoying for the SNP.

I also don't imagine that currently the SNP has the vote over the line. but its perhaps not a good point for them given the background. A really good opportunity will come next year assuming Boris gets elected, but the economic case will be as bad as its ever been.

No shortage of challenge for the SNP, but if they get it right, then good for them.

One would assume that Brexit makes the economic case for Sindy harder. Certainly a hard brexit.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

RobD said:

Edging down...

Alistair said:
    It's narrowed by 2 compared with the last but one Comres. Quite what happened with the last Comres having Others go from 1% to 5%, I don't know.
  • Options

Yes, we also had that 35% for Lab from ICM on the 2nd but that wasn't replicated in the other polls. More data required.

The Survation with the 1pt Con lead in 2017 was one of the final polls published the day before the election.
    There was a 1-point lead poll at this time in the '17 election, Survation Jun 3rd.
  • Options
    Over £5k at 1.4 Tory Maj has been snapped up - now 1.39
  • Options
    That's the first 36% of the campaign, we must look at the trend.

I will keep it as an outlier for now - but this is pleasing me.
  • Options
    DeClare said:

Alistair said:
    Doesn't make sense, where has the 4% come from if the LDs are the same and even the BXP has gone up slightly?
    Others back down from 5% to 1%? (Just guessing)
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
  • Options
    K

The Chicken Bozo effect? Didn’t do Mrs M any favour to be running away.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,247
    melcf said:

Too many 'baked beings'

No the Comres poll. I must have 'felt' it.

Lead down to 6. The Neil takedown?
  • Options
    Anyone done some electoral calculus?
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,907
    edited December 2019
    Alistair said:

How much did the 2017 polls overstate the SNP share and understate the SCon share? You all laughed at me for predicting SCon gains in 2017 just as you did at me predicting a Liberal meltdown in 2015

Bullshit. Everyone on here was recommending piling on SCon seat bets. SCon over 9 seats was my biggest winner.

With the exception of malcolmg no one was mocking anyone for predicting a SCon surge in 2017.
    SCon seat numbers market, tipped on here a couple of weeks out, saved my book from ending up twice as bad as it did in 2017.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

K

The Neil video came out at 730pm on the last day of the sample, so unfortunately for OGH it can't quite be credited for this poll
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

melcf said:

Too many 'baked beings'

People used to say that Neil is a Tory
  • Options
    maaarsh said:

IanB2 said:

K

The Neil video came out at 730pm on the last day of the sample, so unfortunately for OGH it can't quite be credited for this poll
    Unless it's having a MASSIVE effect! :wink:
  • Options
    We will temporarily see the Tories here get nervous until a better poll for them comes out
  • Options
    camelcamel Posts: 815
    IanB2 said:

O

kle4 said:

IanB2 said:

Byronic said:

IanB2 said:

Byronic said:

Henrietta said:

Byronic said:

fpt

NorthofStoke said:

What I can't help wondering is whether social media are exposing the long standing crassness (and worse) of many political party members and candidates or whether the standard has slipped badly in recent years. If the latter, is social media participation itself accelerating the decline in intelligence and awareness and (God help us) is this true of the whole population?

++++++

Is hilly land less depressing?
    Absolutely! The hills are alive.
    I disagree, flatlands - big sky. Valley bottom - no sunshine at all.
  • Options
    It's Others. Comres had them on 5% last time, having been 1% the time before, presumably that's gone back to 1%. Not sure what they're up to.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

It's Others. Comres had them on 5% last time, having been 1% the time before, presumably that's gone back to 1%. Not sure what they're up to.
    Living up to their name, Comedy Results. :D
  • Options
    melcf said:

RobD said:

melcf said:

So Labour's vote share, of 32-35% could be explained as
    Decline in Scotland-- SNP to benefit
    Decline in London/ Remania-- LD to benefit
    Decline in the North- BxP to benefit
    Doesn't seem a direct transfer to Tories and a huge Tory majority, tbh
    My prediction is Tories to be at 306-330, something like they were in 2010-2015

Decline in the North means Labour seats with small majorities become Tory seats. No direct transfer needed.
    Which ones? Of the ones mention I have already called out four, which I'm very sure
    Lincoln
    Scunthorpe
    Wrexham
    Vale of clywd
    -- Grimsby looks like it's falling. Many are well above the 5-10% swing margin.
    No one want to debate Constituency wise or give any feedback. I have just got back from Lincoln, trust me, dunno who is winning but the Tory guy is a dkhead, with no popularity whatsoever
    I think both Lincoln and Scunthorpe will go blue along with Grimsby. Also Labour to be reduced to just the three Nottingham city constituencies in Nottinghamshire.
  • Options
    We all know Bozo is heading for a humungous undeserved majority but it's lovely to see a few wobbles along the way. Keeps up the interest! :lol:
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 1,614

We will temporarily see the Tories here get nervous until a better poll for them comes out

Not that you ever get over excited over individual polls CHB.
  • Options
    BluerBlue said:

Interesting to see the Tories immediately condemn Corbyn for Russian interference here but go completely silent on clear disinformation in this country for Corbyn involving the terrorist attack

It is not the conservatives. It is Reddit who have raised it and with some justification

I can imagine labour being quiet if the shoe was on tbe other foot
    The Tories here I meant, not the Tory Party.

So will you condemn the disinformation campaign against Corbyn which a fake Tweet which went viral said he supported the terrorist?
    This is definitely one case where the supposed disinformation comes closer to the truth than anything Corbyn actually said...
    So that's a no then. Not surprised - but utterly pathetic response.
  • Options
    nunu2nunu2 Posts: 1,453
    Pulpstar said:

kjohnw1 said:

Alistair said:

kjohnw1 said:

Would be good to have a Rod Crosby prediction for the GE , can he not be unbanned . Also what happened to jacks ARSE

Holocaust deniers have no place on this or any other board.
    Fair enough, but what was that model he used to predict the GE ?
    Lebo Norpoth indicated a hung parliament
    311 seats for the tories? Yikes!
  • Options
    I’m having stomach ulcers and sleepless nights over this election. I’m genuinely terrified of a Corbyn government. If bozo wins next Friday I will breathe one massive sigh of relief
  • Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352
    edited December 2019
    tlg86 said:

Others were on 9% in the previous Comres, they're on 5% now.

https://opinionbee.uk/poll/4265/savanta-comres-telegraph-2-3-dec-2019-westminster-voting-intention

https://opinionbee.uk/poll/4268/savanta-comres-sunday-telegraph-2-5-dec-2019-westminster-voting-intention

P.S turns out it was just a Torygraph poll.
  • Options
    Jason said:

Not that you ever get over excited over individual polls CHB.
    Oh I'm not hiding it! :)
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900
    edited December 2019
    Guessing there's probably some pretty good polls for Con coming, given the behaviour of Betfair markets. Barely spooked by that comres at all.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

My opinion is labours improvement is nothing to do with Neil or Corbyn

It is remainers seeing it as their last chance to stop brexit and they feel they can control Corbyn
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

maaarsh said:

IanB2 said:

K

Which it won't

• Options
    SunnyJimSunnyJim Posts: 1,106
    Exchanges don't seem too excited.
  • Options
    Stocky said:

kinabalu said:

melcf said:

Too many 'baked beings'

People used to say that Neil is a Tory
    Neil is. It's Boris and the ERG that have moved. :wink:
  • Options
    Floater said:

maaarsh said:

IanB2 said:

K

Which it won't

True, sadly.
  • Options

tlg86 said:

It is remainers seeing it as their last chance to stop brexit and they feel they can control Corbyn
    Works for me
  • Options
    Andrew said:

Guessing there's probably some pretty good polls for Con coming, given the behaviour of Betfair markets. Barely spooked by that comres at all.

How do they know?
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,996
    Adding in Comres shows drop of just one seat for the Tories.

My model threads its way through the various polls smoothing the way with an exponential moving average. Changes tend to be slow but persistent.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Why did Comres have others go from 1% to 5% in their last poll? Seems odd.

They changed to asking people about the candidates in their specific constituencies, which will have included named independents. There is a lot of randomness in the incidence and significance of independent candidates score so if they happened to pick a disproportionate number of constituencies with well known independents (e.g. Grieve, Field, Soubry etc) then sampling error could have given an unusually high score. Given that others score has probably just reverted to around the norm I don't see anything in the latest ComRes that should give cause to question the poll.
  • Options
    It's happening again, isnt it.
  • Options
    Of course, we must not lose sight of the fact that in 2017 the outliers did get the result right.

I doubt the markets moved much when Survation came out
  • Options

tlg86 said:

If the labour “surge” is piling up votes in remainerland , then Boris will get his majority (I hope)
  • Options

How do they know?

Leaks presumably, seen it a few times before a big poll - and of course we have multiple coming out on Saturday, so much more likely about now. People are tossing around tens of thousands so worth doing.

Of course, if that single leak was a bit of an outlier they could get burned :-)

• Options

Of course, we must not lose sight of the fact that in 2017 the outliers did get the result right.

And haven't pollster adjusted their behaviour since then?
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    edited December 2019
    IanB2 said:

K

Doubt it. Apart from anything else there's something weird going on with the dates. Fieldwork on the Panelbase that was published yesterday was actually completed after this Comres, and it gave results in line with recent trends.

Again, more data needed. If the rest of the polls do show a Labour upswing then it'll probably be down to the squeeze on the Lib Dems starting up again, rather than the Con vote declining because of what Boris Johnson has done, or for any other reason. But let's wait and see.
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,171
    mm
    Barnesian said:

My model threads its way through the various polls smoothing the way with an exponential moving average. Changes tend to be slow but persistent.

What rate of decay do you incorporate into the EWMA?

• Options
    RobD said:

And haven't pollster adjusted their behaviour since then?
    I don't know - but that wasn't my point. It's that outliers don't tend to move the markets because they're outliers. But that means for us bettors there's potential money to be made.
  • Options
    Martin Boons comment re. ComRes interesting. Suggests ComRes numbers indicate PC and SNP numberw collapsing which he notes as unlikely. So a very odd poll.
  • Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    Interesting Savanta Comres poll but the fieldwork dates look a bit strange .
  • Options
    eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,898
    kjohnw1 said:

I’m having stomach ulcers and sleepless nights over this election. I’m genuinely terrified of a Corbyn government. If bozo wins next Friday I will breathe one massive sigh of relief

and there are millions of people living in Great Britain who are "genuinely terrified" of a Johnson overall majority government.
  • Options
    What was the highest percentage Labour had got at this point in 2017?
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

I understand why you do that and not wishing to piss on your campfire (full marks for even having a model) but you are not going to capture a late swing if there is one are you?
  • Options
    ArtistArtist Posts: 1,882
    Is ComRes confirmed?
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850

39% with Yougov.
  • Options
    CorrectHorseBatteryCorrectHorseBattery Posts: 21,436
    edited December 2019
    I will hold back on commenting on ComRes further until the tables come out. Something seems off
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,996
    Barnesian said:

Seats in order of LibDem share

• Options

tlg86 said:

Others were on 9% in the previous Comres, they're on 5% now.

https://opinionbee.uk/poll/4265/savanta-comres-telegraph-2-3-dec-2019-westminster-voting-intention

https://opinionbee.uk/poll/4268/savanta-comres-sunday-telegraph-2-5-dec-2019-westminster-voting-intention

P.S turns out it was just a Torygraph poll.
    Comres 2-3 Dec (change with 25-26 Nov)

Con - 44% (+1)
    Lab - 32% (-2)
    LD - 12% (-1)
    SNP - 4% (+1)
    PC - N/A
    Green - 2% (=)
    BP - 3% (-2)
    Other - 5% (+4)
  • Options

40% Twice (Survation and Ipsos Mori)
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

39% with Yougov.
    Technically within MOE then? What were the Tories on in that poll?
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

39% with Yougov.
    Na, they had a 40% by now. Unless my chart is wrong :o
  • Options
    MysticroseMysticrose Posts: 4,688
    nunu2 said:

It's happening again, isnt it.

Yep
  • Options
    SunnyJimSunnyJim Posts: 1,106
    This poll will be plastered all over social media by the Tories.

Excellent timing for scaring the less motivated.
  • Options
    edited December 2019

One for the bookmarks: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinion_polling_for_the_next_United_Kingdom_general_election

See top-right of the page, links to 2010/15/17/19 election pages, and also all polls for those.
  • Options

40% Twice (Survation and Ipsos Mori)
    What were the Tories on in those polls?
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

kle4 said:

RobD said:

Edging down...

Alistair said:
    It's narrowed by 2 compared with the last but one Comres. Quite what happened with the last Comres having Others go from 1% to 5%, I don't know.
    Maybe this 6% with comres is simply a house effect?
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125

IanB2 said:

K

Doubt it. Apart from anything else there's something weird going on with the dates. Fieldwork on the Panelbase that was published yesterday was actually completed after this Comres, and it gave results in line with recent trends.

Again, more data needed. If the rest of the polls do show a Labour upswing then it'll probably be down to the squeeze on the Lib Dems starting up again, rather than the Con vote declining because of what Boris Johnson has done, or for any other reason. But let's wait and see.
    11% for the LibDems is as low as they have been for a long time.
  • Options
    I don't feel confident about what the result is going to be but I do think shortcomings in TV coverage have assisted Labour relative to the Tories and both of them relative to the LDs. I refer to the unrelenting emphasis on covering process and personalities at the expense of policies. A random example this morning was a Labour spokesperson being grilled for ten minutes on whether "Corbyn had changed the narrative during the debate" on BBC breakafast TV.

Both the Tories and Labour have gaping credibility issues in terms of delivering. In Labour's case they have a manifesto that taken as a whole is lunatic fringe. There been no detailed discussion though on TV! A lot of the electorate will discount generalised attacks so some of the resilience in the Labour vote is that the detail of their manifesto is still not getting properly scrutinised by mainstream commentators.

I also think the IFS commentary on the manifestos was either the result of cowardice (easier to condemn all parties as unrealistic than to grade them) or shockingly innumerate. Yes, the LDs and Tories have a degree of recklessness in their pledges but Labour are in another league. Its like comparing a slap in the face with getting your skull crushed by an iron bar.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited December 2019

• Options
    MysticroseMysticrose Posts: 4,688
    SunnyJim said:

Exchanges don't seem too excited.

You'd think that after what happened in 2016 and 2017 we would have learned by now to pay no attention whatsoever to the betting markets.

But nope.
This discussion has been closed.