Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Reporting from the front Lyme

Comments

• Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,074
    Henrietta said:

May I nominate Adam Price of Plaid Cymru for the Manspreader of the Year Award? His intervew with Jo Coburn of the BBC shouldn't be missed. He sat with his feet a yard apart, toes pointed in opposite directions, and kept bouncing on his seat aiming his crotch in Jo's direction. Top work!

Welcome to PB. Here's hoping that your future posts are less crotch related. :p
  • Options
    SunnyJimSunnyJim Posts: 1,106
    Byronic said:

Yes, Revoke was a terrible error. I see that the LDs acknowledge this in the FT today

At the time I thought it was a pretty shrewd decision.

The die-hard remainers were so noisy that it seemed there would be millions of extra votes in the revoke offer to pile on top of the 'never Corbyn'.

• Options
    ByronicByronic Posts: 3,578
    From the FT piece on the Libs (£)

“The mood in the Lib Dem camp is one of “concern, close to despair”, according to one senior party figure, and is in contrast to the bullish mood of the summer when the Lib Dems were confidently predicting they would win between 60 to 80 seats in the 650-strong Westminster parliament.“
  • Options

humbugger said:

It's about time someone held Corbyn to account on WASPI and found out the detail of the proposal. Andrew Neil would be a good person to do so, like tonight.

Someone like......er.....the effing tories?
    Trouble for them is the more they talk about it, the more people are going to realise "oh, I can get £30k if I tick this box?"
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,699
    edited November 2019
    timmo said:

IanB2 said:

timmo said:

On another note most people have been surprised by the levels of lib dem literature they have already received. There are words going around both Labour and Connservative central offices that the LDs are in serious breach of their spending limits. Centrally posted and distributed stuff now counts against an individual constituency when it turns up.
    What may happen?

A lot of their leaflets were sent before the campaign limits kicked in - they were ahead of the game on that.
    And they print a lot of their own. Paper and ink are relatively inexpensive.
    It's the number of bits that are coming with the post that make this not stand up
    Only the Freepost can come with the post. Parties are sometimes clever and split the Freepost into two with the first leaflet sent to the first named person in the household, the second to the second where there is one. That gets you two leaflets delivered free to most houses (there is no campaign cost to the Freepost). Beyond that, it must all be volunteer delivered - anyone who paid for delivery would quickly use up their expenses limit on even one leaflet

People often think volunteer delivered stuff “comes with the post” because it gets delivered in the daytime and they don’t see it until later.
  • Options

The blues have an opening to attack labour on trust/corruption. Shadow home and foreign secretaries to trouser a waspi bung and tax increases set for earners just above the level of MPs. Enriching themselves. Powerful attack line.

It needs to happen. Boris needs to name all the beneficiaries in public and demand that they declare whether they will turn down this bung
  • Options
    Anti-extremist group @MainstreamUk issue a report with forward from former Labour MP @LouiseEllman naming 10 standing Labour candidates who have breached IHRA antisemitism definitions, full report here
    https://t.co/4DuN4DeIv2 https://t.co/BNOGnZJFwu
  • Options
    wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 7,923

Anti-extremist group @MainstreamUk issue a report with forward from former Labour MP @LouiseEllman naming 10 standing Labour candidates who have breached IHRA antisemitism definitions, full report here
    https://t.co/4DuN4DeIv2 https://t.co/BNOGnZJFwu

I bet Andrew will have a copy
  • Options
    SunnyJim said:

Byronic said:

Yes, Revoke was a terrible error. I see that the LDs acknowledge this in the FT today

The die-hard remainers were so noisy that it seemed there would be millions of extra votes in the revoke offer to pile on top of the 'never Corbyn'.

I said it was nuts at the time. Politically, electorally and morally stupid.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

Alistair said:

Good afternoon fellow PBers. It is well seeing that Caithness, Sutherland and Easter Ross is seen as one of the key marginals in Scotland. I have just had the 6th and 7th pieces of literature from/on behalf of Jamie Stone with barcharts everywhere. Liberals must be throwing a fortune at this seat, possibly because their canvas returns are showing the unionist vote swinging solidly behind the SCons.

Is this statement based on information or wish fulfillment?
    Information from a couple of well placed Liberal sources I am pally with. Also confirms what my SCon contacts are telling me. Jamie himself told me a fortnight ago he is very worried about the SNP retaking the seat.
    Interesting. I really had this down as a very safe hold.
  • Options
    Byronic said:

“The mood in the Lib Dem camp is one of “concern, close to despair”, according to one senior party figure, and is in contrast to the bullish mood of the summer when the Lib Dems were confidently predicting they would win between 60 to 80 seats in the 650-strong Westminster parliament.“

My LibDem bets looking a big mistake.
  • Options
    contrariancontrarian Posts: 5,818
    ''Boris needs to name all the beneficiaries in public and demand that they declare whether they will turn down this bung''

As MS Cyclefree pointed out earlier, the tories seem to leave it to others to do their homework for them.

The Mail filleted this policy way before the tories even got to it.

• Options
    So I think lead is around 10 points. Labour really needs to close the gap sharpish
  • Options
    That should calm conservative nerves in view of the survey dates
  • Options
    spudgfshspudgfsh Posts: 1,327
    I seriously believe that Margaret Beckett believes that she's in trouble in Derby South. Given her majority she shouldn't be but she was canvassing in my area today. That's the first time since I've lived in the area (18 years).

I keep seeing facebook ads from TBP and Tory so maybe there's something in it.

She's currently 1/10 to win but you can get 5/1 on the Tories.

I'd consider it if TBP weren't standing in the seat though
  • Options

Byronic said:

My LibDem bets looking a big mistake.
    The way they’re going they will do well to get more than 20 seats. What a massive missed opportunity. It probably won’t happen ever again.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Alistair said:

Good afternoon fellow PBers. It is well seeing that Caithness, Sutherland and Easter Ross is seen as one of the key marginals in Scotland. I have just had the 6th and 7th pieces of literature from/on behalf of Jamie Stone with barcharts everywhere. Liberals must be throwing a fortune at this seat, possibly because their canvas returns are showing the unionist vote swinging solidly behind the SCons.

Is this statement based on information or wish fulfillment?
    Information from a couple of well placed Liberal sources I am pally with. Also confirms what my SCon contacts are telling me. Jamie himself told me a fortnight ago he is very worried about the SNP retaking the seat.
    Interesting. I really had this down as a very safe hold.
    I had an ickle dribble on the Tories in Edinburgh SW. Have I wasted my pound?
  • Options
    And hot off the presses, the updated tracker -- https://imgur.com/oUjR66V
  • Options

So I think lead is around 10 points. Labour really needs to close the gap sharpish

Yes. If the Tories still have a double digit lead by Thursday - two weeks out - then they surely win.
  • Options
    Brom said:

Byronic said:

Barnesian said:

My 25 LD seats in England (plus five in Scotland and one in Wales) making 31.
    Bath
    Bermondsey and Old Southwark
    Cambridge
    Carshalton and Wallington
    Cheadle
    Cheltenham
    Eastbourne
    Hazel Grove
    Kingston and Surbiton
    Leeds North West
    Lewes
    North Cornwall
    North Devon
    North Norfolk
    Oxford West and Abingdon
    Richmond Park
    Sheffield, Hallam
    Southport
    St Albans
    St Ives
    Sutton and Cheam
    Twickenham
    Wells
    Westmorland and Lonsdale
    Winchester

If you were asked for a list of the 25 nicest places to live in England, it wouldn’t look very different to that
    Would remove:

Cheadle
    Eastbourne
    Hazel Grove
    North Cornwall
    North Devon
    North Norfolk
    Southport
    Sutton & Cheam
    Wells
    Westmoreland
    Winchester

Would add:

Cities of London
    South Cambridgeshire

There’s a chance of a few left field ones like Kensington and Finchley. Possibly some surprise Home Counties seat. By definition national models can’t really predict surprises - like when the LibDems went from 20% to 45% and won Redcar in 2010. Maybe the YouGov model might give us some more prospects?

I too would be doubtful about Southport. I also wonder about Bermondsey. Eastbourne, Wells, Sutton and Winchester look good to me.
  • Options

First poll fully after wasps and Tory manifesto
  • Options
    Mr. Byronic, whilst I agree the yellows should be doing a lot better, and that revoke is a crackers policy, politics is too turbulent to say they won't have another great opportunity.

They do seem to have failed to capitalise on this one. But there's still a little time to go.
  • Options

Look at the Libs again. Down 3. Beyond MOE

Is it possible they could actually LOSE seats?
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,269
    RobD said:

humbugger said:

It's about time someone held Corbyn to account on WASPI and found out the detail of the proposal. Andrew Neil would be a good person to do so, like tonight.

Someone like......er.....the effing tories?
    Trouble for them is the more they talk about it, the more people are going to realise "oh, I can get £30k if I tick this box?"
    Someone should ask some of the Labour candidates who would get it whether they will accept it.
  • Options

First poll fully after wasps and Tory manifesto
    Do we have cross tabs by age? :D:p
  • Options
    Byronic said:

You can get 8/1 on Luciana Berger for next leader #justsaying
  • Options

The blues have an opening to attack labour on trust/corruption. Shadow home and foreign secretaries to trouser a waspi bung and tax increases set for earners just above the level of MPs. Enriching themselves. Powerful attack line.

It needs to happen. Boris needs to name all the beneficiaries in public and demand that they declare whether they will turn down this bung
    Given higher rate tax cuts and corporation tax cuts etc., that’s not really a game the Tories can play with any credibility. They’d be laughed off the stage.
  • Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    SunnyJim said:

Byronic said:

You seem to assume that as you call us die hard Remainers are one homogeneous group . Yes we’re angry and yes I detest Brexit but I said at the time the revoke policy wouldn’t work because I think what started with a referendum can only be changed with another referendum . And because I felt like that I expected many more Remainers would feel the same .

The Lib Dems are the strongest Remain party and never needed to go to revoke , it was self indulgent and they got swayed by the Euro elections .

• Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,826
    Notable that Labour close the gap even while the Leave aggregate (Tory+BXP) increases. If the next YouGov poll has that aggregate randomly dropping back down again Labour could close the gap even more.
  • Options
    Byronic said:

Almost certainly because some of their current MPs are people who have defected, no?
  • Options
    Byronic said:

SunnyJim said:

Byronic said:

I said it was nuts at the time. Politically, electorally and morally stupid.
    And yet you support Brexit, the most politically stupid thing this country has ever done, with the possible exception of offering a guarantee to the territorial integrity of Belgium. You justify said position on the grounds of a very marginal victory in a highly dubious referendum in 2016. Well done genius.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,227
    Byronic said:

Johnson versus Corbyn
    #ge2019

Source: Savanta-ComRes https://t.co/vQ917eNuW2

Boris wins over Corbyn on "trustworthy".

It's a done deal......

It’s mildly reassuring, but the fieldwork is a bit old?
    You think the old anti-semite has come across as more trustworthy in recent days? Meet the Orthodox Chief Rabbi......
  • Options
    ClippPClippP Posts: 1,729
    timmo said:

IanB2 said:

timmo said:

On another note most people have been surprised by the levels of lib dem literature they have already received. There are words going around both Labour and Connservative central offices that the LDs are in serious breach of their spending limits. Centrally posted and distributed stuff now counts against an individual constituency when it turns up.
    What may happen?

A lot of their leaflets were sent before the campaign limits kicked in - they were ahead of the game on that.
    It's the number of bits that are coming with the post that make this not stand up
    Except that there is the local campaign and the national campaign. I expect you are getting loads of messages about Jo Swinson and the Liberal Democrats generally. There do not count for local campaigning limits.

The Conservatives used to be very good at doing this - in fact I looked on them as the experts in the field - but the Lib Dems are learning fast. This is probably being helped by the fact that the Tories have lost so many of their previous funders in the business community, who have now put their cash behind the Lib Dems campaign. So the Lib Dems are fighting it out on nearly equal terms, and they have a much better ground game.

On top of this, of course, the Conservatives are hopelessly over-stretched, struggling to both win seats and defend seats all over the place.
  • Options
    spudgfsh said:

I seriously believe that Margaret Beckett believes that she's in trouble in Derby South. Given her majority she shouldn't be but she was canvassing in my area today. That's the first time since I've lived in the area (18 years).

Never been Tory but very marginal in 83 and 87........
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

timmo said:

What may happen?

Paper is inexpensive - ink not so cheap. All parties do a lot in-house. It just shows how ludicrous the expenses laws have become. The rot set in with local government when the limit was doubled and suddenly you could bombard your electors with 3 or 4 leaflets. That then meant that if you wanted to win you had to bombard your electors with 5 or 6 leaflets.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Byronic said:

Almost certainly because some of their current MPs are people who have defected, no?
    Sorry, I was unclear. I mean: could the LDs suffer a net LOSS of seats?
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 50,230
    Very busy at the moment, but just popping in to say best of luck to Aaron in Newcastle!
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,598

If I google image search the niqab then right click on one of the pictures and choose "search Google for image" then click on "Visually similar images", it brings up a mix of women in niqabs and men in balaclavas, some of the men carrying guns, some of whom are bank robbers, some terrorists.
    I must conclude that Google is Islamophobic.

If a politician says something that is not racist but is designed to appeal to racists, is that racism? I think it is. I think it is even if the politician in question is not themselves a racist. Maybe they are, maybe they aren't. In a sense it doesn't matter. Non racists can be racist in this way and by the same token racists can be not racist.
  • Options
    Byronic said:

Cyclefree said:

Byronic said:

Its possible. Unlikely but possible.
  • Options
    It is exactly the same with pensions. MPs lose nothing from their final salary pension as a result of the Financial Transaction Tax, the increase in Corporation Tax and the dilution of 10% of the share capital whereas your money purchase personal pension plan ......

• Options

Byronic said:

Cyclefree said:

Byronic said:

If they go much lower than 13% it will be certain
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,826
    Byronic said:

Cyclefree said:

Byronic said:

Compared to the 21 at dissolution - yes this is possible. Compared to the 12 at GE2017 - still extremely unlikely.
  • Options
    The lunatic Waspi bung should have immediately backfired badly for Labour. That it didn't shows that the Tories have failed to hammer home the fantastical nature of Labour's spending promises.
  • Options
    Byronic said:

Byronic said:

Cyclefree said:

Byronic said:

Calm yourself man, the Lib Dems are polling nearly double what they polled in 2017.
  • Options
    FensterFenster Posts: 2,115
    Lib Dems are lost between the cacophony of getting Brexit done and rounding up Jews.
  • Options
    Byronic said:

Cyclefree said:

Byronic said:

Possibly. Would be a shame if so but would not be entirely surprised.
  • Options
    Byronic said:

Byronic said:

Cyclefree said:

Byronic said:

Do you mean relative to the 21 or 12?

At 13% I think its likely to be between the two figures. To go below the 12 they'd need to go into single digits surely.
  • Options

The lunatic Waspi bung should have immediately backfired badly for Labour. That it didn't shows that the Tories have failed to hammer home the fantastical nature of Labour's spending promises.

How do you counter it effectively without reminding 3+ million people they can get £30k for just ticking a box?
  • Options
    BromBrom Posts: 3,760
    RobD said:
    Cue Labour supporters now shitting the bed.

Yougov was 5% lead at roughly this point in 2017.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    edited November 2019

It is exactly the same with pensions. MPs lose nothing from their final salary pension as a result of the Financial Transaction Tax, the increase in Corporation Tax and the dilution of 10% of the share capital whereas your money purchase personal pension plan ......

Please don't put your comment on top of the quoted matter like that; it makes it look as if someone replying in the usual manner, like me, is replying to in this instance wooliedyed. Edit or even Big G.
  • Options
    Brom said:

RobD said:

I forget if these numbers feed into the MRP, or they use a different set.
  • Options
    MightyAlexMightyAlex Posts: 1,487

''Boris needs to name all the beneficiaries in public and demand that they declare whether they will turn down this bung''

As MS Cyclefree pointed out earlier, the tories seem to leave it to others to do their homework for them.

The Mail filleted this policy way before the tories even got to it.

Implying a difference between the pamphlet and the party?
  • Options
    spudgfshspudgfsh Posts: 1,327

spudgfsh said:

Never been Tory but very marginal in 83 and 87........
    At the last boundary changes inner city derby areas which are much more labour were added to the seat (hence why derby north is now the marginal). That is what is confusing me about it.
  • Options
    Can anyone remind me. Did the first MRP poll on 2017 show a Hung Parliament?
  • Options

No....Labour are through the 30% barrier now, with more Lib Dem vote to squeeze.
  • Options

Notable that Labour close the gap even while the Leave aggregate (Tory+BXP) increases. If the next YouGov poll has that aggregate randomly dropping back down again Labour could close the gap even more.
    Sky has just explained that the lib dem revoke policy is failing as shown in these figures

Yougov 5th 6th Nov 36 remain for labour 33 remain for lib dems

Yougov 25th 26th Nov 48 remain for labour 24 remain for lib dems

And hence the poll movements and no doubt many on here will be able to predict the pathway forward for both labour and the lib dems and the effect on seats
  • Options
    Mr. Nabavi, they'd find it easier if May hadn't thrown away the economic high ground and Boris Johnson weren't a fool who happily splurges away billions chasing headlines.

Of course, even the incumbent's propensity to spend too much pales into utter insignificance compared to the lunacy of Corbyn's far left madness.
  • Options

Byronic said:

Byronic said:

Cyclefree said:

Byronic said:

At 13% I think its likely to be between the two figures. To go below the 12 they'd need to go into single digits surely.
    Yes I mean the 21. The 12 are presumably cemented into place.

What a fuck up. Surely Swinson would go if she suffers a net loss. I would feel sorry for her, she’s not that bad and she’s a doughty defender of the union.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    RobD said:

Hmmm, the red line is... Surging?
  • Options

Yes, the headlines from 2017 were posted earlier today.
  • Options
    RobD said:

How do you counter it effectively without reminding 3+ million people they can get £30k for just ticking a box?
    I meant they should have already hammered home the message, so that when the Waspi bung appeared it would have been universally met with the derision it deserves, without the Tories needing to do much more.
  • Options
  • Options
    PaulMPaulM Posts: 613
    Brom said:

Byronic said:

Barnesian said:

Bath
    Cambridge
    Cheadle
    Cheltenham
    Eastbourne
    Hazel Grove
    Kingston and Surbiton
    Leeds North West
    Lewes
    North Cornwall
    North Devon
    North Norfolk
    Oxford West and Abingdon
    Richmond Park
    Sheffield, Hallam
    Southport
    St Albans
    St Ives
    Sutton and Cheam
    Twickenham
    Wells
    Westmorland and Lonsdale
    Winchester

If you were asked for a list of the 25 nicest places to live in England, it wouldn’t look very different to that
    Would remove:

Cheadle
    Eastbourne
    Hazel Grove
    North Cornwall
    North Devon
    North Norfolk
    Southport
    Sutton & Cheam
    Wells
    Westmoreland
    Winchester

Would add:

Cities of London
    South Cambridgeshire

Am I the only one who thought it bizarre that to make it a list of nicest places in England you would remove Westmorland and Lonsdale but leave Bermondsey in ?
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,725
    edited November 2019
    Alistair said:

RobD said:

Tories look like they have definitely hit that 42% ceiling. I don't see any reason why Labour will go backwards from here on in. All the antisemitism stuff is priced in, and Tories / Lib Dems are having a crap campaign.

Squeaky bum time.
  • Options

No....Labour are through the 30% barrier now, with more Lib Dem vote to squeeze.
    Yes, that’s the worry. It’s now clear who you have to vote for, to stop Brexit. And it’s Jeremy bloody Corbyn.

There must be lots of anguished Remainers out there, staring at Corbyn’s economic policies and wondering if the risk is worth it.
  • Options
    TudorRoseTudorRose Posts: 1,662
    Byronic said:

Byronic said:

Byronic said:

Cyclefree said:

Byronic said:

Yes I mean the 21. The 12 are presumably cemented into place.

What a fuck up. Surely Swinson would go if she suffers a net loss. I would feel sorry for her, she’s not that bad and she’s a doughty defender of the union.
    A doughty defender of the union who has an electoral pact with the Welsh nationalists.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

RobD said:

The trendline is very reactive since the averaging window is so small at a week, and it can also change with new polls since it takes the average of polls ±3 days.
  • Options
    BromBrom Posts: 3,760
    RobD said:

Yes, the headlines from 2017 were posted earlier today.
    Was that not the first published version? I believe the first record of it had a 9 point Tory lead but this may only have been published after the election. With 3 weeks to go MRP did show a hung parliament though suggesting there was not much change after this point in the election.
  • Options

RobD said:

I meant they should have already hammered home the message, so that when the Waspi bung appeared it would have been universally met with the derision it deserves, without the Tories needing to do much more.
    The Tory campaign has been lazy. They've forgotten how to argue, how to make a case, how to demolish an opponent's case.
  • Options
    TimTTimT Posts: 6,328
    Looking at the numbers for each of the parties' polling, it looks to me as though the Tories have squeezed as much of the vote as they are going to get, so the 40-43% is their ceiling. It strikes me that Labour have more left to squeeze from the undecideds and from the LDs.

So a final vote count of 40-43% vs 33-39% (yes, I think there is much more uncertainty in the Labour vote), seems reasonable.

That gives a huge array of potential outcomes in the seat count.
  • Options

Yes. The first MRP was basically spot on.
  • Options
    Byronic said:

One way the LDs keep costs down is that in many seats they do all their own printing - so the costs are just paper and ink plus hire of the printing machine.

And what did they print? "Meet Prime Minister Jo Swinson".

And 1 in 4 of their voters went walkabout.
    Pretty hard to criticise Boris Johnson on trust or come across as a serious alternative when you are using phrases like Prime Minister Jo Swinson.

The Lib Dems had a great opportunity. All they needed to do is unequivocally say they want a second referendum while backing Remain. They could even have been cheeky - acknowledge that they are not going to win a majority but then suggest neither is Jeremy Corbyn and a vote for the Liberal Democrats would provide seats for them to moderate and restrain the worst excesses of the larger parties. That could have sounded like a sane alternative . . . instead she went for 'I will be Prime Minister and revoke without a referendum'.
    It was but hindsight is a wonderful thing and, at the time, I thought they might hover up most of the 20% of the electorate that was up for Revoke off the back of it.

Turns out people don’t necessarily agree (literally) with the petitions that they sign and, even if they do, they are sometimes shocked when political parties do too.
  • Options
    So if its a hung parliament, where do we go from here?
  • Options
    TimT said:

Looking at the numbers for each of the parties' polling, it looks to me as though the Tories have squeezed as much of the vote as they are going to get, so the 40-43% is their ceiling. It strikes me that Labour have more left to squeeze from the undecideds and from the LDs.

So a final vote count of 40-43% vs 33-39% (yes, I think there is much more uncertainty in the Labour vote), seems reasonable.

Which - if this turns out to be the final result - would mean that Boris would have got no more than Mrs May. Oh the irony!!
  • Options
    Byronic said:

Yes, that’s the worry. It’s now clear who you have to vote for, to stop Brexit. And it’s Jeremy bloody Corbyn.

There must be lots of anguished Remainers out there, staring at Corbyn’s economic policies and wondering if the risk is worth it.
    Only if you're stupid enough to think that Labour would stop Brexit. They won't. Their leadership can't even tell us what they'd vote for.
  • Options
    Brom said:

Byronic said:

Barnesian said:

Bath
    Cambridge
    Cheadle
    Cheltenham
    Eastbourne
    Hazel Grove
    Kingston and Surbiton
    Leeds North West
    Lewes
    North Cornwall
    North Devon
    North Norfolk
    Oxford West and Abingdon
    Richmond Park
    Sheffield, Hallam
    Southport
    St Albans
    St Ives
    Sutton and Cheam
    Twickenham
    Wells
    Westmorland and Lonsdale
    Winchester

Would remove:

Cheadle
    Eastbourne
    Hazel Grove
    North Cornwall
    North Devon
    North Norfolk
    Southport
    Sutton & Cheam
    Wells
    Westmoreland
    Winchester

Would add:

Cities of London
    South Cambridgeshire

I’m not sure Winchester will go LD.

There’s a big very rural and Tory hinterland and not much left-wing vote left for LDs to squeeze, so they’d require significant Tory>LD switching to take it.

I’m not sure why that would happen this year when it didn’t in GE2017, particularly given Swinson’s current numbers.
  • Options
    SunnyJimSunnyJim Posts: 1,106
    Byronic said:

How deranged would you need to be to ever consider the EU to be worth what Labour will do to the country.

It is utterly barmy.
  • Options
    contrariancontrarian Posts: 5,818
    SunnyJim said:

Byronic said:

How deranged would you need to be to ever consider the EU to be worth what Labour will do to the country.

It is utterly barmy.
    Isn;t that exactly what Dominic Grieve thought?
  • Options
    SunnyJim said:

Byronic said:

It is utterly barmy.
    Why would they trust him? Insane. He's a Brexiteer, always has been. And so are his aides.
  • Options

Byronic said:

One way the LDs keep costs down is that in many seats they do all their own printing - so the costs are just paper and ink plus hire of the printing machine.

And what did they print? "Meet Prime Minister Jo Swinson".

And 1 in 4 of their voters went walkabout.
    Pretty hard to criticise Boris Johnson on trust or come across as a serious alternative when you are using phrases like Prime Minister Jo Swinson.

The Lib Dems had a great opportunity. All they needed to do is unequivocally say they want a second referendum while backing Remain. They could even have been cheeky - acknowledge that they are not going to win a majority but then suggest neither is Jeremy Corbyn and a vote for the Liberal Democrats would provide seats for them to moderate and restrain the worst excesses of the larger parties. That could have sounded like a sane alternative . . . instead she went for 'I will be Prime Minister and revoke without a referendum'.
    It was but hindsight is a wonderful thing and, at the time, I thought they might hover up most of the 20% of the electorate that was up for Revoke off the back of it.

Turns out people don’t necessarily agree (literally) with the petitions that they sign and, even if they do, they are sometimes shocked when political parties do too.
    They should have strongly argued for a second referendum rather than revoke. It was the revoke without going back to the people which has been the strategic mistake.

They assumed that those who voted revoke literally meant that as opposed to, say, taking a pause and looking at the issue again in light of what we know now.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 31,120
    edited November 2019
    Cyclefree said:

RobD said:

The Tory campaign has been lazy. They've forgotten how to argue, how to make a case, how to demolish an opponent's case.
    How do you argue when the arguments that should be overwhelming such as the Opposition being patently unfit for office count for nothing? If Corbyn being an anti-semite marxist who will bankrupt us all is not enough then what would you suggest is?
  • Options

Cancel Brexit and never speak of the last 3 and a half years ever again, the next morning we wake up to David Cameron stepping out of the shower and still being Prime Minister.
  • Options
    TimT said:

40-39 plus tactical voting could give Corbyn a tiny overall MAJORITY

Great.

I think, however, we are ignoring the possibility that Labour will fall back. It happened in 2017. In the last few days the surge abated, and reversed. In a modest way. Was that people wising up to the danger he could win?

It will probably happen again. Because he’s an even greater menace and he’s got a better shot at the top job. And stuff like waspi-bung could unravel under scrutiny. I hope.
  • Options
    Not for the first time in its history, the fate of the Tory Party lies with the LibDems....
  • Options

We relive the last 3 years.
    Won't that be fun?!

• Options
    Gabs3Gabs3 Posts: 836
    edited November 2019
    I can't help but wonder if the particular hatred of Dominic Raab from the left is motivated by his ethnic heritage.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Byronic said:

Only if you're stupid enough to think that Labour would stop Brexit. They won't. Their leadership can't even tell us what they'd vote for.
    Yep. This. In spades.

If Remainers think Corbnyn wont try and weasel out of a 2nd referendum then you haven't being paying attention.
  • Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    Byronic said:

It really depends how much of a red line it is .

I view it as 5 years of Corbyn or out of the EU with little chance of rejoining for many years if ever . Both sides have their Remain or Leave at all costs voters .

But that’s not enough to win an election . The fact Johnson has a deal which means at least an orderly exit with a year transition has allowed some Tory Remainers to feel more comfortable and has hurt the Lib Dems .

The only way their revoke policy had a hope was up against a no deal exit.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,227
    Byronic said:

Spoiler: it's not.

It's either Labour's bat-shit crazy economics and an anti-semite in No. 10 - and many months of fucked up minority Govt. as they try to work out how to get to a point where there is a referendum they can put forward. That will be boycotted en masse by Leavers anyway. (If you doubt that, look at the way the Leave vote moved from Con --> Brexit Party for the Euros - and back again for the General.)

Or a merciful release.
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 8,036
    Latest YouGov hardly moves the dial
    Con/Lab/LD
    340/213/30
    Tory majority 30
    Sutton Cheam moves out of LD column back to Tory column
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1yIHH_ZtcH9w9JF5e8WwYD6QuhOhlVwCO_GboafT6kfc/edit?usp=sharing
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,424
    Brom said:

RobD said:

Yes Tories still the same as 2017 but LDs still polling higher at Labour's expense even with this week's squeeze of LD votes by Labour
  • Options
    Do you you think true LibDems would welcome me campaigning for them with the message “vote LibDem, but not too much, and only in certain places”?
  • Options
    edited November 2019

Cyclefree said:

RobD said:

How do you argue when the arguments that should be overwhelming such as the Opposition being patently unfit for office count for nothing? If Corbyn being an anti-semite marxist who will bankrupt us all is not enough then what would you suggest is?
    Those are assertions rather than arguments. Patiently demolishing each of the manifesto promises, showing their absurdities, the unintended and harmful consequences, asking the questions to which your opponents have no answer, showing the contradictions between what Labour are saying and what Labour are promising are what's needed.
    Clearly lots of people don't think Labour is unfit for office. So merely saying it achieves nothing. Saying why in terms that make sense to people is what's needed. Shouting "Marxist" does not help. Stating that a tax policy will take away this much money from people on this low income e.g. the marriage tax allowance or that this promise cannot be paid without taxing you etc are what's needed.
  • Options
    Gabs3Gabs3 Posts: 836
    SunnyJim said:

Byronic said:

It is utterly barmy.
    And they will happily sell their fellow Jewish citizens down the river to get their beloved EU. My economic and social views are left of centre but I can't consider myself part of the left any more. My fellow travellers turned out to be completely craven dross that don't give a damm about us.
  • Options
    novanova Posts: 525
    Brom said:

RobD said:

Or a 9pt YouGov lead depending on which way you look ;)
This discussion has been closed.