Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Reporting from the front Lyme

Comments

• Gabs3 said:

I can't help but wonder if the particular hatred of Dominic Raab from the left is motivated by his ethnic heritage.

No, he's a dick, same way Jacob Rees-Mogg or Michael Gove get criticism.
  • nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    Gabs3 said:

I can't help but wonder if the particular hatred of Dominic Raab from the left is motivated by his ethnic heritage.

No he’s despised because he’s a vile odious slimebag. And he wants capitalism on steroids .

I could care less about his heritage . The fact hes also willing to sue the Dunn family for legal costs shows what a lowlife he is .
  • Gabs3Gabs3 Posts: 836

Gabs3 said:

People seem to hate Raab way more than they hate Gove or Mogg.
  • SunnyJim said:

Byronic said:

Yes, that’s the worry. It’s now clear who you have to vote for, to stop Brexit. And it’s Jeremy bloody Corbyn.

There must be lots of anguished Remainers out there, staring at Corbyn’s economic policies and wondering if the risk is worth it.

How deranged would you need to be to ever consider the EU to be worth what Labour will do to the country.

It is utterly barmy.
    Brexit is just as barmy, just as potentially damaging; possibly more so long term, and I say that as an ex Conservative party member and activist . If Corbyn stands any chance of getting near power it is the idiot Brexiteers who have given him that chance. Well done idiots, you have reduced the Conservative Party to being the party of the economically illiterate and only slightly less stupid than Corbyn's Labour Party.
  • SunnyJimSunnyJim Posts: 1,106
    RobD said:

How do you counter it effectively without reminding 3+ million people they can get £30k for just ticking a box?

My mother is a waspi but also a frothing Brexiteer who went to a Farage Brexit rally.

It has all suddenly gone quiet on getting Brexit done and we haven't had a recent conversation about the election.

Her £30k will be roughly the same as my additional income tax bill over a 5 year parliament but by the time you factor in all the additional taxes plus the impact of the 10% worker share scheme I could see the true cost nudging six figures for me.

It is democracy so you have to suck it up BUT if we escape a Corbyn government this time and there is no change in Labour direction before the next GE then it would be financial suicide to keep assets in the UK.

And if a no-mark like me is looking for the exit you can be sure that all the real money is either gone already or will be within hours of a Corbyn win.
  • CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,269
    nico67 said:

Gabs3 said:

No he’s despised because he’s a vile odious slimebag. And he wants capitalism on steroids .

I could care less about his heritage . The fact hes also willing to sue the Dunn family for legal costs shows what a lowlife he is .
    He has no empathy, is a liar and arrogant. Reasons enough to dislike him.

• Byronic said:

One way the LDs keep costs down is that in many seats they do all their own printing - so the costs are just paper and ink plus hire of the printing machine.

And what did they print? "Meet Prime Minister Jo Swinson".

And 1 in 4 of their voters went walkabout.
    Pretty hard to criticise Boris Johnson on trust or come across as a serious alternative when you are using phrases like Prime Minister Jo Swinson.

The Lib Dems had a great opportunity. All they needed to do is unequivocally say they want a second referendum while backing Remain. They could even have been cheeky - acknowledge that they are not going to win a majority but then suggest neither is Jeremy Corbyn and a vote for the Liberal Democrats would provide seats for them to moderate and restrain the worst excesses of the larger parties. That could have sounded like a sane alternative . . . instead she went for 'I will be Prime Minister and revoke without a referendum'.
    Yes, Revoke was a terrible error. I see that the LDs acknowledge this in the FT today
    It was but hindsight is a wonderful thing and, at the time, I thought they might hover up most of the 20% of the electorate that was up for Revoke off the back of it.

Turns out people don’t necessarily agree (literally) with the petitions that they sign and, even if they do, they are sometimes shocked when political parties do too.
    Your partisan schadenfreude might turn out to be premature
  • Will YouGov be releasing their MRP predictions for each constituency this time, with CIs?
    nico67 said:

Gabs3 said:

"Vile", "odious, "slimey", "capitalist". Interesting choice of words you have there. Sure you don't want to throw in "scheming" or "parasitical"?
  • Aaron must have had a very nasty shock when the resident in the picture at the top of this thread opened his front door to him ... at first glance he looks a dead ringer for Jeremy Corbyn!
  • Gabs3 said:

Gabs3 said:

Equally to Mogg, but even more than Bozo, in my particular case. Bozo is a liar and a fraud, but one feels he might be fun to share a glass of something while listening to him tell funny stories about his favourite subject, himself.
  • Alistair said:

Alistair said:

Good afternoon fellow PBers. It is well seeing that Caithness, Sutherland and Easter Ross is seen as one of the key marginals in Scotland. I have just had the 6th and 7th pieces of literature from/on behalf of Jamie Stone with barcharts everywhere. Liberals must be throwing a fortune at this seat, possibly because their canvas returns are showing the unionist vote swinging solidly behind the SCons.

Is this statement based on information or wish fulfillment?
    Information from a couple of well placed Liberal sources I am pally with. Also confirms what my SCon contacts are telling me. Jamie himself told me a fortnight ago he is very worried about the SNP retaking the seat.
    Interesting. I really had this down as a very safe hold.
    I had an ickle dribble on the Tories in Edinburgh SW. Have I wasted my pound?
    No.

Brexit is just as barmy, just as potentially damaging; possibly more so long term, and I say that as an ex Conservative party member and activist . If Corbyn stands any chance of getting near power it is the idiot Brexiteers who have given him that chance. Well done idiots, you have reduced the Conservative Party to being the party of the economically illiterate and only slightly less stupid than Corbyn's Labour Party.

Brexit (even at its worst) would be no way near as damaging as Corbyn and i'm sure you know that.

And besides there is a democratic mechanism to rejoin the EU.

There is no turning back once the hundreds of billions have been spent...and we all know that as the election after this one approached there would be hundreds more spent bribing the electorate.

Your grand-kids and their kids are going to be the ones paying for it Nigel; you're loading up THEIR credit card with YOUR debt.

• ByronicByronic Posts: 3,578

SunnyJim said:

Byronic said:

Yes, that’s the worry. It’s now clear who you have to vote for, to stop Brexit. And it’s Jeremy bloody Corbyn.

There must be lots of anguished Remainers out there, staring at Corbyn’s economic policies and wondering if the risk is worth it.

How deranged would you need to be to ever consider the EU to be worth what Labour will do to the country.

It is utterly barmy.
    Corbyn was elected leader before Brexit. And he’s just a radical symptom of a world wide phenomenon: left and right populism surging in the face of globalisation. Trump, Brexit, Le Pen, Corbyn, Salvini, Orban, the SNP, Sanders, Catalan nationalism etc etc etc, are all fruit hanging from the same tree, which has its roots in social immobility, stagnant working class wages, the rise of China, identity politics, mass migration...

Your analysis is crass, asinine and dim.
  • Cyclefree said:

nico67 said:

Gabs3 said:

He also has what the Germans call a backpfeifengesicht
    Cyclefree said:

nico67 said:

Gabs3 said:

I completely understand why people dislike him. I criticised his actions on the Dunn case myself. But there is a particularly visceral dislike among some on PB and Twitter.
  • Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

RobD said:

The lunatic Waspi bung should have immediately backfired badly for Labour. That it didn't shows that the Tories have failed to hammer home the fantastical nature of Labour's spending promises.

How do you counter it effectively without reminding 3+ million people they can get £30k for just ticking a box?
    I meant they should have already hammered home the message, so that when the Waspi bung appeared it would have been universally met with the derision it deserves, without the Tories needing to do much more.
    The Tory campaign has been lazy. They've forgotten how to argue, how to make a case, how to demolish an opponent's case.
    How do you argue when the arguments that should be overwhelming such as the Opposition being patently unfit for office count for nothing? If Corbyn being an anti-semite marxist who will bankrupt us all is not enough then what would you suggest is?
    Those are assertions rather than arguments. Patiently demolishing each of the manifesto promises, showing their absurdities, the unintended and harmful consequences, asking the questions to which your opponents have no answer, showing the contradictions between what Labour are saying and what Labour are promising are what's needed.
    Clearly lots of people don't think Labour is unfit for office. So merely saying it achieves nothing. Saying why in terms that make sense to people is what's needed. Shouting "Marxist" does not help. Stating that a tax policy will take away this much money from people on this low income e.g. the marriage tax allowance or that this promise cannot be paid without taxing you etc are what's needed.
    Yes, the Tories should go hard on the economy and spend the last two weeks ripping apart Labour’s economic and fiscal case.

Show the bungs to be a complete chimera that we’ll all end up paying for but, stick with them, and real sustainable rewards will come.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 68,757
    Gabs3 said:

nico67 said:

Gabs3 said:

"Vile", "odious, "slimey", "capitalist". Interesting choice of words you have there. Sure you don't want to throw in "scheming" or "parasitical"?
    Being a shit knows no ethnic boundaries.
    Raab seems to be a grade A example.
  • isamisam Posts: 41,118
    edited November 2019
    Byronic said:

That should calm conservative nerves in view of the survey dates
    Look at the Libs again. Down 3. Beyond MOE

Is it possible they could actually LOSE seats?
    It would be the ultimate proof of the politically over engaged thinking they represented mainstream public opinion. Change UK/TIG made the same mistake.

OGH seems to have backed the Lib Dems in every way possible. Didn't he say he made them EVS to take John Redwoods seat?
  • If the Lib Dems are going to add a lot of votes coming second in the SE, then that 13% won't go very far elsewhere...!
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 53,327
    Henrietta said:

May I nominate Adam Price of Plaid Cymru for the Manspreader of the Year Award? His intervew with Jo Coburn of the BBC shouldn't be missed. He sat with his feet a yard apart, toes pointed in opposite directions, and kept bouncing on his seat aiming his crotch in Jo's direction. Top work!

There's an award for this? Who knew? Don't tell Boris for goodness sake.
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 41,258
    edited November 2019
    SunnyJim said:

It is utterly barmy.

Far from it. A rational Remainer - and let's face it most of them are - will know that the best that Labour can possibly do at this GE is minority government in a hung parliament. Such an administration, Corbyn or no Corbyn, will in practice be able to implement just one of their flagship radical policies - a second EU referendum. This policy is known in common parlance as "A great opportunity to stop Brexit. Indeed the only opportunity we will ever have to do so."
  • Gabs3 said:

Gabs3 said:

Gabs3 said:

Gabs3 said:

I hate Mogg way more. Probably hate Raab the least out of those three actually. He's too dull to really loathe. Gove is a Scottish Tory and therefore an abomination against nature. Mogg is a useful reminder not to send your kids to private school. Raab is just a boring suburban Thatcherite straight out of central casting. All the likeable Tories seem to have left the party TBH. Javid seems all right, if even more boring than Raab, but I'd still never vote for him, obvs.
  • stodgestodge Posts: 13,643
    edited November 2019
    Nearly evening all :)
    I'm left with this thought moving forward - the new Conservative voting coalition seems made up of two significant components - those who voted LEAVE in 2016 and want to "get Brexit done" - translated as make sure we actually do leave.
    The second group are those either hostile to or terrified of Corbyn who see the only way to stop him is to vote Conservative.
    That's fine and will probably win Boris a substantial victory next month.
    For me, the problem is in the longer term - once Brexit is delivered and Corbyn has been assigned to the footnote of history, what then? Where is the Conservative vote IF Labour return to the centre ground or is there an expectation that, at the next election and after 14 years in office, normal service will resume and those pro-Remain Conservatives who cannot support the Party this time will return to the fold?
  • AramintaMoonbeamQCAramintaMoonbeamQC Posts: 3,854
    edited November 2019
    Interesting table in that about what voters biggest fear is about each party, split by previous voting groups.
    All but one of the groups (Lab 2017 voters, who voted Remain) say Corbyn as PM is their biggest fear.
    No groups say Johnson as PM is their biggest fear.
    Kinnock 1992 effect in play?
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 51,723
    Still a way behind, but explains some of the Labour rise:

"Overall, 2017 Conservatives put their likelihood of staying with the party up a point at 77, with 2017 Labour voters’ chance of voting the same way again up from 55 to 60."
  • squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,571

Gabs3 said:

Gabs3 said:

Gabs3 said:

Gabs3 said:

I hate Mogg way more. Probably hate Raab the least out of those three actually. He's too dull to really loathe. Gove is a Scottish Tory and therefore an abomination against nature. Mogg is a useful reminder not to send your kids to private school. Raab is just a boring suburban Thatcherite straight out of central casting. All the likeable Tories seem to have left the party TBH. Javid seems all right, if even more boring than Raab, but I'd still never vote for him, obvs.
    loathe is a batter word than hate. I don't think you actually hate him anyway, if you do I feel very sorry for you./
    edited November 2019
    Gabs3 said:

nico67 said:

Gabs3 said:

Stop talking tosh . And stop casting assertions over people because they don’t like certain politicians . I also detest Mogg and the ERG .

What will you infer from that !
  • Byronic said:

SunnyJim said:

Byronic said:

It is utterly barmy.
    Corbyn was elected leader before Brexit. And he’s just a radical symptom of a world wide phenomenon: left and right populism surging in the face of globalisation. Trump, Brexit, Le Pen, Corbyn, Salvini, Orban, the SNP, Sanders, Catalan nationalism etc etc etc, are all fruit hanging from the same tree, which has its roots in social immobility, stagnant working class wages, the rise of China, identity politics, mass migration...

Your analysis is crass, asinine and dim.
    Anyone calling someone's analysis crass and dim while still believing in Brexit is ironic in the extreme. I hope you get all you want from Father Christmas, or the tooth fairy, but try not to be too disappointed deary! Night night!
  • AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    RobD said:

Can anyone remind me. Did the first MRP poll on 2017 show a Hung Parliament?

Yes, the headlines from 2017 were posted earlier today.
    Also showed the SNP on 50 seats.

One of the reasons I believe is that they didn't weight by IndyRef result.
    Byronic said:

From the FT piece on the Libs (£)

“The mood in the Lib Dem camp is one of “concern, close to despair”, according to one senior party figure, and is in contrast to the bullish mood of the summer when the Lib Dems were confidently predicting they would win between 60 to 80 seats in the 650-strong Westminster parliament.“

The election has developed not necessarily to the Lib Dem’s advantage.
  • HenriettaHenrietta Posts: 136
    edited November 2019
    DavidL said:

Henrietta said:

May I nominate Adam Price of Plaid Cymru for the Manspreader of the Year Award? His intervew with Jo Coburn of the BBC shouldn't be missed. He sat with his feet a yard apart, toes pointed in opposite directions, and kept bouncing on his seat aiming his crotch in Jo's direction. Top work!

Watch the interview. Price has set a very high bar. Boris couldn't perform at that level. Price practically...well...just watch it... Top stuff. If a bloke sat opposite me on the Tube started with body language like that, I'd be scared.
  • BromBrom Posts: 3,760

If the Lib Dems are going to add a lot of votes coming second in the SE, then that 13% won't go very far elsewhere...!
    Imagine Lewis Goodall saying something positive for the Tories.

Nahhh, couldn't happen!
  • NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,465
    Gabs3 said:

As you're posting it and are particularly concerned about anti-semitism, I assume he's of Jewish background, but I wouldn't have known or cared, and really doubt if many people of any persuasion would. Also, is he really particularly hated?
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 41,258
    Gabs3 said:

Oh dear. C'mon.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 68,757
    Gabs3 said:

Gabs3 said:

Do you have any real evidence for that ?
    stodge said:

Where is the Conservative vote IF Labour return to the centre ground or is there an expectation that, at the next election and after 14 years in office, normal service will resume and those pro-Remain Conservatives who cannot support the Party this time will return to the fold?

As long as Corbyn and his fellow travellers are removed from the picture i'd be more than happy for a 97-00 Blair-type Labour government.

And i'm a Tory.
  • BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 34,379

This time in GE 2017 (D-16) Panelbase released a poll that showed:
    Con 48% / Lab 33% / UKIP 4% / LDs 7%
    Just saying :wink:

Gabs3 said:

Gabs3 said:

Gabs3 said:

Gabs3 said:

Gove is a Scottish Tory and therefore an abomination against nature.
    Ahem. I think you will find you are more than a bit out of date with that. This will be yet another election where the Tories in Scotland will get more votes than Labour.
  • Barnesian said:

Latest YouGov hardly moves the dial
    Con/Lab/LD
    340/213/30
    Tory majority 30
    Sutton Cheam moves out of LD column back to Tory column
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1yIHH_ZtcH9w9JF5e8WwYD6QuhOhlVwCO_GboafT6kfc/edit?usp=sharing

In practical terms majority is nearer 40
  • SunnyJim said:

Byronic said:

It is utterly barmy.
    You really win hearts and minds with your posting style.

Are we comparing the same polling companies?
  • AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900
    edited November 2019

True, but the average lead was around 11% at this stage, and had been falling hard for a fair while beforehand. If it's going to do the same now, it's going to be much more sudden, compared to a fairly flat lead so far.

• SunnyJim said:

stodge said:

Where is the Conservative vote IF Labour return to the centre ground or is there an expectation that, at the next election and after 14 years in office, normal service will resume and those pro-Remain Conservatives who cannot support the Party this time will return to the fold?

As long as Corbyn and his fellow travellers are removed from the picture i'd be more than happy for a 97-00 Blair-type Labour government.

And i'm a Tory.
    I'm exactly the same. But the only way we'll get one is a 1983-style wipeout of Labour, and unlike 1983, promising the earth now works on enough of the electorate to prevent a Labour wipeout...
  • Byronic said:

One way the LDs keep costs down is that in many seats they do all their own printing - so the costs are just paper and ink plus hire of the printing machine.

And what did they print? "Meet Prime Minister Jo Swinson".

And 1 in 4 of their voters went walkabout.
    Pretty hard to criticise Boris Johnson on trust or come across as a serious alternative when you are using phrases like Prime Minister Jo Swinson.

The Lib Dems had a great opportunity. All they needed to do is unequivocally say they want a second referendum while backing Remain. They could even have been cheeky - acknowledge that they are not going to win a majority but then suggest neither is Jeremy Corbyn and a vote for the Liberal Democrats would provide seats for them to moderate and restrain the worst excesses of the larger parties. That could have sounded like a sane alternative . . . instead she went for 'I will be Prime Minister and revoke without a referendum'.
    Yes, Revoke was a terrible error. I see that the LDs acknowledge this in the FT today
    It was but hindsight is a wonderful thing and, at the time, I thought they might hover up most of the 20% of the electorate that was up for Revoke off the back of it.

Turns out people don’t necessarily agree (literally) with the petitions that they sign and, even if they do, they are sometimes shocked when political parties do too.
    Your partisan schadenfreude might turn out to be premature
    This must be one of those irregular verbs:

I’m a partisan poster
    You’re an objective commentator
    He’s a subjective fool prone to confirmation bias
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 51,723
    stodge said:

I'm left with this thought moving forward - the new Conservative voting coalition seems made up of two significant components - those who voted LEAVE in 2016 and want to "get Brexit done" - translated as make sure we actually do leave.
    The second group are those either hostile to or terrified of Corbyn who see the only way to stop him is to vote Conservative.
    For me, the problem is in the longer term - once Brexit is delivered and Corbyn has been assigned to the footnote of history, what then? Where is the Conservative vote IF Labour return to the centre ground or is there an expectation that, at the next election and after 14 years in office, normal service will resume and those pro-Remain Conservatives who cannot support the Party this time will return to the fold?

Let's fight one war at a time, eh?
  • squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,571
    edited November 2019

Gabs3 said:

As you're posting it and are particularly concerned about anti-semitism, I assume he's of Jewish background, but I wouldn't have known or cared, and really doubt if many people of any persuasion would. Also, is he really particularly hated?
    There are a lot of Labour supporters who are very anti-Semitic. The Tories have their own problem with Islamophobia but Labour are doing nothing about anti Semitism apart from a "Shami" enquiry that "cleared" the Labour Party.
    If the leader of the Jews is as outspoken as he has been , you cannot attempt to sweep it under the carpet. (well you can but it will not wash.)

You are just trying to take the heat off Labour with a comment like that.
  • JasonJason Posts: 1,614

Alistair said:

RobD said:

And hot off the presses, the updated tracker -- https://imgur.com/oUjR66V

Hmmm, the red line is... Surging?
    Tories look like they have definitely hit that 42% ceiling. I don't see any reason why Labour will go backwards from here on in. All the antisemitism stuff is priced in, and Tories / Lib Dems are having a crap campaign.

Squeaky bum time.
    Oh ffs calm down man.
  • alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518
    Any indications on how the Labour leadership is going to respond to the SWR train strike next week? Very difficult to believe such a prolonged action won’t have some effect in the affected areas?
  • AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,944
    Cyclefree said:

RobD said:

The lunatic Waspi bung should have immediately backfired badly for Labour. That it didn't shows that the Tories have failed to hammer home the fantastical nature of Labour's spending promises.

I meant they should have already hammered home the message, so that when the Waspi bung appeared it would have been universally met with the derision it deserves, without the Tories needing to do much more.
    The Tory campaign has been lazy. They've forgotten how to argue, how to make a case, how to demolish an opponent's case.
    They've exhausted themselves with the years of squabbling amongst themselves. I'm mostly hiding behind the sofa.

Good evening, everyone.
  • Barnesian said:

Con/Lab/LD
    340/213/30
    Tory majority 30
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1yIHH_ZtcH9w9JF5e8WwYD6QuhOhlVwCO_GboafT6kfc/edit?usp=sharing

Quite - the real winning post for a practical majority is 320: 650 - Speaker - 3 deputies - 7 Sinn Fein = 639. 639/2 = 319.5.

Gabs3 said:

There are a lopt of Labour supporters who are very anti-Semitic. The Tories have their own problem with islamophobia but Labour are doing nothing about anti Semitism apart from a "Shami" enquiry that "cleared" the Labour Party.
    If the leader of the Jews is as outspoken as he has been , you cannot attempt to sweep it under the carpet

I’m very anti the Israeli government and especially Netenyahu who is destroying any chance of a two state solution . I have nothing against Jewish people . I think that’s where the vast majority of the Labour Party is .

Let's fight one war at a time, eh?

I think it's reasonable to look ahead beyond 12/12. I suspect it won't be long before the Conservatives hit their mid-term trough but so much will depend on how Labour react to defeat.

SunnyJim said:

stodge said:

And i'm a Tory.
    So was Tony, ask anyone still in the Labour party.
  • Ave_itAve_it Posts: 2,411
    Sky/YouGov poll is ok for us - we'll take 10 to 11% lead all night (or fortnight :lol: ) long!
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 118,517
    edited November 2019
    alex_ said:

Any indications on how the Labour leadership is going to respond to the SWR train strike next week? Very difficult to believe such a prolonged action won’t have some effect in the affected areas?

Nationalised rail will see no strikes because the government will treat the workers brilliantly unlike those vile capitalists.
  • That should calm conservative nerves in view of the survey dates
    It says nothing. A couple of days ago there was a poll with a 19 point Tory lead. Equally useless since it was from another company when comparing with a YouGov poll. The Yougov polls at the same point in 2017 showed between 9% and 5% lead.
  • nova said:

Brom said:

RobD said:
    Cue Labour supporters now shitting the bed.

Yougov was 5% lead at roughly this point in 2017.
    Or a 9pt YouGov lead depending on which way you look ;)
    Baxterising this YouGov poll with Scottish adjustment, produces:

Con .............349
    Lab ............. 218
    LidUnDem .... 15
    Brexit ............ 0
    SNP .............. 45
    Green ............ 1
    Plaid .............. 4
    N.I. .............. 18

Total ........... 650

Con Maj ........ 48
    edited November 2019
    CON unlikely to poll above 43%, or LAB below 32%, so we are loving it with a 11% lead!
  • This in particular is symptomatic of the near complete failure of the Conservatives, so far, to lay a glove on Labour on tax and the economy:

“The chances of “higher taxes for people like me” were thought to be only slightly higher under Labour (58/100) than under another Conservative government (51/100).”
  • RobDRobD Posts: 59,574
    Ave_it said:

CON unlikely to poll above 43%, or LAB below 32%, sorry we are loving it with a 11% lead!

Speak for yourself, I was loving it with an 19% lead. :p
  • YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    Henrietta said:

DavidL said:

Henrietta said:

Watch the interview. Price has set a very high bar. Boris couldn't perform at that level. Price practically...well...just watch it... Top stuff. If a bloke sat opposite me on the Tube started with body language like that, I'd be scared.
    Adam Price is gay.

I don't see why you would have much to be scared about if he sat opposite to you on the tube.
  • alb1onalb1on Posts: 698
    Gabs3 said:

I doubt it. I am not of the left, and not many are in leafy Surrey where I live. But he is widely reviled, even by Conservatives who will cast a tribal vote for him, because of his revolting personality. Can you imagine many other MPs who would have their heavies physically prevent bereaved parents from attending a meeting and then harangue them on leaving?
  • PaulMPaulM Posts: 613
    stodge said:

Brexit might be "consigned to the footnote of history", or there might be an ongoing struggle to rejoin the EU. I'm sure Jo Swinson's LibDems would be right on that, although Lab and Con might be glad to see the back of the topic.
  • BluerBlue said:

Barnesian said:

Con/Lab/LD
    340/213/30
    Tory majority 30

Quite - the real winning post for a practical majority is 320: 650 - Speaker - 3 deputies - 7 Sinn Fein = 639. 639/2 = 319.5.
    But don't two of those deputies come from the overall Conservative column?

Hoyle is running as Speaker...no one is running as Deputy Speaker.

If so, I guess you need to win 322 seats on the night?
  • alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518
    How many Uber drivers are there in London? Could this have an anti labour impact?
  • I’d say right now something like Tories 41% Labour 35% and LDs 10% on polling day.

Tories to get a small majority due to performance in the right marginals and good defence against the SNP.

This forecast will self-destruct in five seconds.
  • alex_ said:

How many Uber drivers are there in London? Could this have an anti labour impact?

45,000 Uber drivers in London.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-50544283
  • Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

RobD said:

How do you argue when the arguments that should be overwhelming such as the Opposition being patently unfit for office count for nothing? If Corbyn being an anti-semite marxist who will bankrupt us all is not enough then what would you suggest is?
    Those are assertions rather than arguments. Patiently demolishing each of the manifesto promises, showing their absurdities, the unintended and harmful consequences, asking the questions to which your opponents have no answer, showing the contradictions between what Labour are saying and what Labour are promising are what's needed.
    Clearly lots of people don't think Labour is unfit for office. So merely saying it achieves nothing. Saying why in terms that make sense to people is what's needed. Shouting "Marxist" does not help. Stating that a tax policy will take away this much money from people on this low income e.g. the marriage tax allowance or that this promise cannot be paid without taxing you etc are what's needed.
    It makes no difference. No one believes a word politicians say anymore. After all, if vast swathes of them can lie about carrying out Brexit at the last election why should anyone believe what they say this time around? Basically the failure to accept the public vote in 2016 has broken politics in this country completely. Which is why Corbyn can get away with saying anything he likes and no argument against him will work.
  • I’d say right now something like Tories 41% Labour 35% and LDs 10% on polling day.

Tories to get a small majority due to performance in the right marginals and good defence against the SNP.

Con gain Bootle is more likely than a small Tory majority IMHO.
    nico67 said:

Gabs3 said:

There are a lopt of Labour supporters who are very anti-Semitic. The Tories have their own problem with islamophobia but Labour are doing nothing about anti Semitism apart from a "Shami" enquiry that "cleared" the Labour Party.
    If the leader of the Jews is as outspoken as he has been , you cannot attempt to sweep it under the carpet

I’m very anti the Israeli government and especially Netenyahu who is destroying any chance of a two state solution . I have nothing against Jewish people . I think that’s where the vast majority of the Labour Party is .
    I used to be skeptical of this idea: of rooted widespread anti-semitism in Labour. But now I believe it. There’s just too many examples, and some of it is quite outrageous

My theory is that Corbyn imported the worst of it, when he became leader with his £3 members. There is a far left faction which has normalized Jew-hatred over decades, conflating it with anti-Zionism. They are often allied with radical Islam, which is obviously problematic. This far left faction moved into Labour to elect Corbyn, and they brought their anti Semitic baggage with them.

Now they are there it will be very hard to root it out, and I see zero real effort to do so. Corbyn seems to prefer attacking the messenger. He doesn’t believe there is a problem and he wouldn’t really care if there was

Tragic, really.
  • PaulM said:

stodge said:

Brexit might be "consigned to the footnote of history", or there might be an ongoing struggle to rejoin the EU. I'm sure Jo Swinson's LibDems would be right on that, although Lab and Con might be glad to see the back of the topic.
    My view is we’ll move ever closer to the EU (from the outside) under future LD/Labour government’s without ever actually de jure re-joining it.
  • BromBrom Posts: 3,760

"Jeremy Corbyn has declined to apologise to the British Jewish community following criticism from the chief rabbi over how the party deals with anti-Semitism claims.

In an interview with the BBC's Andrew Neil, the Labour leader was asked four times whether he would like to apologise.

Mr Corbyn said he was "determined that our society is safe" for "all faiths" - but did not directly apologise."
  • RobDRobD Posts: 59,574

I’d say right now something like Tories 41% Labour 35% and LDs 10% on polling day.

You think it'll be hung?

I’d say right now something like Tories 41% Labour 35% and LDs 10% on polling day.

That will mean a long night/morning/day on 13 Dec !

All is plausible especially Scotland.

• RobD said:

You think it'll be hung?
    No, whilst the lead is shrinking, it is substantial.

The biggest obstacle to a Tory majority will be the weather.
  • StereotomyStereotomy Posts: 4,092
    Gabs3 said:

Cyclefree said:

nico67 said:

Gabs3 said:

I completely understand why people dislike him. I criticised his actions on the Dunn case myself. But there is a particularly visceral dislike among some on PB and Twitter.
    Like Dominic Raab, I'm half Jewish. Please, stop. This kind of absurd, hysterical wolf-crying is exactly the kind of thing that will make people take claims of antisemitism less seriously.
  • That should calm conservative nerves in view of the survey dates
    It says nothing. A couple of days ago there was a poll with a 19 point Tory lead. Equally useless since it was from another company when comparing with a YouGov poll. The Yougov polls at the same point in 2017 showed between 9% and 5% lead.

What makes us think the poll profile rate of erosion must be equivalent to GE2017 as a rule of law? Ergo, because the “buffer” is higher at this stage of the game, the Tories will be ok?

It could be the same, or it could drop off more steeply, or bounce back, or just go nowhere.

There are no laws.

alex_ said:

It’s the customers that count. 3.5m people in London use Uber and most of them really like it.

Khan must hope that Uber win the appeal, or any ban happens after the mayoral election
  • LATEST: The Hindu Council has now written to the Chief Rabbi to express their support and to accuse the Labour Party of also becoming anti-Hindu. Major interventions in this election today from pretty much every major faith in Britain. Astonishing. https://t.co/J4fRtvIOLw
  • BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 8,349
    edited November 2019

Barnesian said:

Con/Lab/LD
    340/213/30
    Tory majority 30

Yes - 37 if seven SF are returned. There could be three less SF so practical majority of 34.
  • glwglw Posts: 9,799
    That's a shame, as Andrew and Trump would have a LOT to talk about.
  • BluerBlue said:

Barnesian said:

Con/Lab/LD
    340/213/30
    Tory majority 30

But don't two of those deputies come from the overall Conservative column?

Hoyle is running as Speaker...no one is running as Deputy Speaker.

If so, I guess you need to win 322 seats on the night?
    Good catch. Yes, 322 = majority of 1 in that case.

Having said that, I don't see why in our multi-party age we shouldn't break with convention to offer the SNP and LDs the privilege of holding Deputy Speakerships... :wink:
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 121,003

That would be very close to the 1992 result, except the LDs a bit lower
  • alex_ said:

I get minicabs five or six days a week. Many but not all drivers are also working for Uber. If Uber does not get its licence back, I'd imagine the Uber drivers would revert to being straight minicab drivers. You won't see 45,000 added to the dole queue.
  • BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 34,379
    edited November 2019

Fair enough but sticking to Panelbase:
    Panelbase GE17 Tory lead on D-16 = 15%
    Panelbase GE19 Tory lead on D-20* = 10% (*the latest GE19 Panelbase we have)
    Or with ICM:
    ICM GE17 Tory lead on D-18 = 14%
    ICM GE19 Tory lead on D-17 = 7%
    My point is not that the Tories are not doing better than GE17 (they are) but that it's not over yet.
  • LATEST: The Hindu Council has now written to the Chief Rabbi to express their support and to accuse the Labour Party of also becoming anti-Hindu. Major interventions in this election today from pretty much every major faith in Britain. Astonishing. https://t.co/J4fRtvIOLw

Inspiring to see a united front, just sad that it's necessary.
  • PaulM said:

stodge said:

My view is we’ll move ever closer to the EU (from the outside) under future LD/Labour government’s without ever actually de jure re-joining it.
    The piece I'm currently writing for PB is

'If you want to ensure the UK's long term membership of the EU vote Conservative on December 12th'

Short version, we'll exit the EU with No Deal next December, sustained No Deal means us rejoining by 2030, once we're back in, we'll never leave, and we'll be fully integrated from the get go.
  • Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 27,676
    Could Labour perking up a bit be almost entirely due to the WASPI bung? People who wouldn't vote Labour unless you paid them, are literally getting paid to vote Labour. It would be interesting to see whether their vote share amongst females has increased, though the spouses could well be just as enthused.

There isn't really much the Tories can do. To attack the claim draws more people's attention to the free money.

All they can do is use the fact they've been conservative with the dosh so far, and come out with their own barrel of pork. Something eye catching to steal the agenda.
    edited November 2019
    PaulM said:

I'm loath to write the obituary of a campaign that still has two weeks to run but there's been an avalanche of nonsense written about the LD campaign and once we get past 12/12 I'll respond to it.
    You may be right - so much will depend on the future economic and political relationship hammered out next year. It may be we end up with something very close to BINO or it may be much more distant. I think the former will weaken the desire to campaign to rejoin but if the impact of the latter isn't positive it will strengthen the argument to rejoin.
    Those seeking REMAIN have been fighting the wrong battle - they should have agreed to the WA (thus respecting the 2016 Referendum result which merely stated the fact of leaving not the basis) and then campaigned hard for a BINO political declaration and trade deal.
  • ChrisChris Posts: 11,687
    Ave_it said:

Sky/YouGov poll is ok for us - we'll take 10 to 11% lead all night (or fortnight :lol: ) long!

The last four polls have taken the median lead down from 12-13 to 11.
  • YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172

It makes no difference. No one believes a word politicians say anymore. After all, if vast swathes of them can lie about carrying out Brexit at the last election why should anyone believe what they say this time around? Basically the failure to accept the public vote in 2016 has broken politics in this country completely. Which is why Corbyn can get away with saying anything he likes and no argument against him will work.

I think that is correct, although Brexit is not the only cause.

The poisonous lies over the Iraq War from New Labour, the pledges over tuition fees from all parties, the failure to hold any one to account over the banking crisis, the "We're all in it together" spiel from Cameron and Clegg as they walk over to multi-million pound jobs. All parties have contributed to a huge corrosion of trust, including those elected on a manifesto to implement Brexit who then spent 3 years doing the opposite.

Corbyn can pretty much offer to bung 30k at all women born between 1950 and 1960, and most people will say (while accepting the money will probably never materialise) that it is no worse than the dishonest actions of other politicians from other parties.
  • That's a well-designed poster, especially the use of smudgy grey with the black, red, and yellow. How much does it all add up to, compared with the abolition of tuition fees, the introduction of free broadband, and the tightening of rent controls, for the median person who's unlikely to pay much (or any) inheritance tax and who doesn't own a business?
This discussion has been closed.