Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » If this polling turns out to be accurate then it is great news

Comments

• Options
    alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518

alb1on said:

alb1on said:

alb1on said:

alb1on said:

I have just seen Ed Davey give Adam Boulton the best interview of the campaign on Sky news. He ripped Boris a new a**hole and this interview should be played again and again for voters of all persuasions. In a couple of minutes it exposes precisely why Boris is unfit for public office.

Delighted that, at last, someone is not holding back on calling him a liar and shyster.

Just had a bet on Davey losing his seat.
    You must have money to burn. The bookies will be delighted. Davey is the safest hold in the LD book. I am not a 'all LD seats are safe' poster, but if Kingston falls so will every other LD seat - and I say that from Surrey and knowing that seat. In Richmond the latest YouGov analysis puts the LDs 20% ahead - and Kingston is safer.
    Tory canvas returns are strong here and next door in Carshalton and Wallington. This is not going to be a good election for the Lib Dems.
    I appreciate the troll machine is on full power but you do lose credibility by posting such utter rubbish.
    Well you have had the heads up.I don't care whether you pay heed or not.
    I suggest you return to the easier tasks set by your masters. No one in this part of the world would be so stupid as to believe that nonsense. I suggest you focus on Wimbledon, which you may have a chance of holding if you can prevent enough Labour supporters voting tactically.
    I think you are over invested emotionally in this.I have never voted Tory in my life so just reacting to what I am hearing. Carshalton is very different from Wimbledon.These seats are not behaving the same.
    You have never voted Tory, but you have access to/knowledge of Tory canvas returns?
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 1,614
    There is one notable policy - Brexit. It's the elephant in the room for the LDs and Labour, especially Labour. The Tories had a commanding lead in the polls before their manifesto was even released - that ought to tell you something.
  • Options
    TimT said:

Should not be an 'ouch' to true conservatives - limiting change (conserving what is) is what conservatism is.
    Exactly. As a friend of mine used to say, "I'm completely in favour of change - as long as it's backwards!".
  • Options

You must have money to burn. The bookies will be delighted. Davey is the safest hold in the LD book. I am not a 'all LD seats are safe' poster, but if Kingston falls so will every other LD seat - and I say that from Surrey and knowing that seat. In Richmond the latest YouGov analysis puts the LDs 20% ahead - and Kingston is safer.

Tory canvas returns are strong here and next door in Carshalton and Wallington. This is not going to be a good election for the Lib Dems.

I appreciate the troll machine is on full power but you do lose credibility by posting such utter rubbish.

I suggest you return to the easier tasks set by your masters. No one in this part of the world would be so stupid as to believe that nonsense. I suggest you focus on Wimbledon, which you may have a chance of holding if you can prevent enough Labour supporters voting tactically.

I think you are over invested emotionally in this.I have never voted Tory in my life so just reacting to what I am hearing. Carshalton is very different from Wimbledon.These seats are not behaving the same.

You are wrong. I regularly voted Conservative when living in Chichester (as Andrew Tyrie was possibly the best MP in the last 50 years). However, if you are not acting as a troll I suggest you take what you hear with a pinch of salt. Conservative canvassers (like canvassers of all parties) are utterly unreliable.

It is true that Carshalton is different to Wimbledon, but it is also different to Kingston - where you claimed to have put a bet on the LDs losing. If you did that (and we still await sight of the betting slip) on the basis of party gossip in Carshalton I can only suggest you steer clear of betting in future.

For what it is worth I expect a LD landslide in Kingston, a hold in Carshalton and a Conservative majority of 2-3000 in Wimbledon.

I don't need to stay away from betting as I bet with my Trump winnings when I got on at 60 to 1 when he first announced he was standing for the Republican nomination.
  • Options
    alb1onalb1on Posts: 698

A small point I don't think anyone has mentioned. IF Boris secures a majority in just under 3 weeks time, then by convention the House of Lords will not seek to make major amendments to any legislation seeking to implement manifesto pledges. On the Brexit Bill and other key legislation, that will be crucial. In addition we will have Sir Lindsey Hoyle as Speaker and I sincerely doubt he will be Bercow Mark II and bend the rules to create difficulties for the government as Bercow did with permitting the Benn Act and Letwin Act time to be enacted.

This is true and will be key to advancing Brexit. However it is unlikely to be relevant on other policies since they (like the Labour promises) are unfundable. Consequently any bills in other manifesto areas will be so different to the promises that The Lords will have no constraints in making changes.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,298

Sandpit said:

The transport infrastructure section is crap, it wouldn’t have been too difficult to say that in the post-Brexit environment we need to get Britain moving, and we commit fully to completing LHR3 and HS2 at the earliest opportunity.

It would be a challenge for Bozo to drive the bulldozer while simultaneously lying down in front of it.

Or is that just another Bozo lie?
    Whatever the Tory manifesto says, we all know HS2 is going ahead as is LHR3. We all know Brexit can’t be sorted in the next few months and we all know there are plenty of ways of increasing taxation without raising the headline rate.

We should concentrate on trying to find something in the Tory manifesto of worth that might actually be true.
  • Options
    Jason said:

There is one notable policy - Brexit. It's the elephant in the room for the LDs and Labour, especially Labour. The Tories had a commanding lead in the polls before their manifesto was even released - that ought to tell you something.
    It does. It tells us a lot of people expect Brexit to make things very much better.

• Options
    SchardsSchards Posts: 210

Of course there's a way.

You lot were convinced there was no way he could renegotiate the deal. He got it done in a couple of weeks.

There's no need to drag this out forever.
    I'm sorry, there is simply no parallel between the WA and the FTA. Nobody who has any expertise in this area believes this can be done in 11 months (and it's really less than half that time). I don't know if you genuinely believe this or are just propagandising, but read what people like Ivan Rogers have written about this. There is real concern about this in the markets, it's a massive risk for next year.
    "UK could crash out of EU with no-deal Brexit if Boris Johnson wins election, Michael Gove admits"

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/general-election-brexit-no-deal-boris-johnson-michael-gove-a9185381.html
    Why is that news? The only way the UK could not potentially "crash out" is to either revoke Article 50 or take no deal off the table. Is anyone in the country in any doubt that the tories oppose each of these options?
  • Options
    Gabs3Gabs3 Posts: 836
    Keeping Ofsted and the 0.7% aid target are major appeals to me. Think I will vote Lib Dem though.
  • Options
    Schards said:

Of course there's a way.

You lot were convinced there was no way he could renegotiate the deal. He got it done in a couple of weeks.

I'm sorry, there is simply no parallel between the WA and the FTA. Nobody who has any expertise in this area believes this can be done in 11 months (and it's really less than half that time). I don't know if you genuinely believe this or are just propagandising, but read what people like Ivan Rogers have written about this. There is real concern about this in the markets, it's a massive risk for next year.
    "UK could crash out of EU with no-deal Brexit if Boris Johnson wins election, Michael Gove admits"

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/general-election-brexit-no-deal-boris-johnson-michael-gove-a9185381.html
    Why is that news? The only way the UK could not potentially "crash out" is to either revoke Article 50 or take no deal off the table. Is anyone in the country in any doubt that the tories oppose each of these options?
    Some Lib Dems did go back to the Tories when No Deal was off the table.
  • Options
    Because years more of arguing about Brexit will take up all the time.
  • Options

Jason said:

It does. It tells us a lot of people expect Brexit to make things very much better.

Or just want politics largely out of their lives for 5 years.
  • Options
    TimT said:

Should not be an 'ouch' to true conservatives - limiting change (conserving what is) is what conservatism is.
    Brexit is by far the most radical and revolutionary policy of my lifetime. There is nothing conservative about this Conservative Party.
  • Options
    alex_ said:

Jason said:

Or just want politics largely out of their lives for 5 years.
    Yes, many who voted for it now just want to see the back of it, whatever the consequences.
  • Options

TimT said:

Brexit is by far the most radical and revolutionary policy of my lifetime. There is nothing conservative about this Conservative Party.
    I always find it interesting this contradiction. The Conservative Party should be opposed to something as uncertain as Brexit, which is why Cameron resigned.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

You mean, it has not been done for a very long time. Victoria, for example, exercised the long dormant royal prerogative to appoint a PM without seeking ministerial advice in 1894.

I think Lady Hale went some way to providing a mechanism with the justification for the notorious Supreme Court decision. The assertion, which no one ever doubted was in part that the King could not undo by prerogative what had been done by Act of Parliament. Really I don't think that was in doubt. But the fallacy is then to extend the specific into the general. It does not mean the Queen in Parliament cannot restore the prerogative if they are so minded.

There is another more serious point that will need to be tidied up as well. We found ourselves with a parliament which in effect looked as if it could have run on to 2022 against the clear will of the Executive and apparently could have extended itself for ever, just like the Long Parliament. Whatever the rights and wrongs of the Civil War, giving the Commons the power to extend themselves for ever turned out to be the single dumbest thing Charles I did. The balances in the Bill of Rights were right and the FTPA's single most heinous defect was over-riding that. Restore the absolute right of the Executive to prerogue and end a parliament. The ballot box will provide the decision as to whether the executive acted rightly.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,298
    IanB2 said:

Sandpit said:

The transport infrastructure section is crap, it wouldn’t have been too difficult to say that in the post-Brexit environment we need to get Britain moving, and we commit fully to completing LHR3 and HS2 at the earliest opportunity.

It would be a challenge for Bozo to drive the bulldozer while simultaneously lying down in front of it.

Or is that just another Bozo lie?
    Whatever the Tory manifesto says, we all know HS2 is going ahead as is LHR3. We all know Brexit can’t be sorted in the next few months and we all know there are plenty of ways of increasing taxation without raising the headline rate.

We should concentrate on trying to find something in the Tory manifesto of worth that might actually be true.
    Why? Sounds like a pointless waste of time to me.

In other news, while trying to play a video on YouTube I have had an ad of a racist in a posh coat driving around in what looks like a black cab boasting about how much he loves me inflicted on me.

That tells me Labour’s profiling is shit.
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905

TimT said:

I always find it interesting this contradiction. The Conservative Party should be opposed to something as uncertain as Brexit, which is why Cameron resigned.
    Unless, of course, one adopts the attitude that turning Parliament, to a very large extent, into an implementation body for legislation decided at a supernational level was the revolutionary act. In which case Brexit is a counter-revolution.
  • Options
    nunu2nunu2 Posts: 1,453
    Wow. Now that's a high turnout for local elections!

https://mobile.twitter.com/AsiaElects/status/1198649203095982081
  • Options
    nunu2nunu2 Posts: 1,453
  • Options

TimT said:

Unless, of course, one adopts the attitude that turning Parliament, to a very large extent, into an implementation body for legislation decided at a supernational level was the revolutionary act. In which case Brexit is a counter-revolution.
    Tortuous, BR, but full marks for effort.
  • Options

Floater said:

The reality for Remainers is, if you want to stop Brexit you need Labour MPs to help you.

Their decision will be: do they hate the idea of a hard Brexit more or less than Labour being propped up by the Lib Dems.

Remainers should vote Lib DEm

Because your party is going to renegotiate a superb new deal which the public might vote to accept.

Plus keeping you lot out retains some level of economic sanity.
    I am voting Lib Dem in my seat yes. To stop the Tories.
    I'm voting Tory to stop the Lib Dems
  • Options
    IFS:

>Give or take pennies, other public services, and working age benefits, will see the cuts to their day-to-day budgets of the last decade baked in."

https://www.ifs.org.uk/election/2019/article/the-conservative-party-manifesto-an-initial-response-from-ifs-director-paul-johnson

Austerity is not over.
  • Options
    alex_ said:

alb1on said:

alb1on said:

alb1on said:

alb1on said:

I have just seen Ed Davey give Adam Boulton the best interview of the campaign on Sky news. He ripped Boris a new a**hole and this interview should be played again and again for voters of all persuasions. In a couple of minutes it exposes precisely why Boris is unfit for public office.

Delighted that, at last, someone is not holding back on calling him a liar and shyster.

You have never voted Tory, but you have access to/knowledge of Tory canvas returns?
    Yes I talk to people about what is happening on the ground ,don't you?
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

Sorry was watching Scottish super Sunday - I ll have more than enough wings from my under 50.5 to pay milky his well earned quid

I regret not putting more on the under. I've rebacked at the lowered line of under 47.5
  • Options

IFS:

>Give or take pennies, other public services, and working age benefits, will see the cuts to their day-to-day budgets of the last decade baked in."

https://www.ifs.org.uk/election/2019/article/the-conservative-party-manifesto-an-initial-response-from-ifs-director-paul-johnson

Austerity is not over.

Hurrah, he's channelling George Osborne.
  • Options
    Javid and Johnson today trumpeted the fiscal prudence of the Tories. How therefore do they explain how our national debt has now risen to £2.27 trillion and will continue to rise with a hard Brexit and a lack of new tax raising measures.

If the Tories win this election it could be the last one they will win.
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    Whereas it merely describes your mob as dishonest and not credible.

Actually, tbh the IFS said much the same things about both parties in 2017 and it seemed to make little difference.
  • Options
    TimTTimT Posts: 6,328

TimT said:

I was talking about the manifesto. And there is something conservative in a democracy about respecting the will of the people, however well worn that phrase is in relation to Brexit
  • Options

Javid and Johnson today trumpeted the fiscal prudence of the Tories. How therefore do they explain how our national debt has now risen to £2.27 trillion and will continue to rise with a hard Brexit and a lack of new tax raising measures.

You're an optimist. Could be the last one any Party wins for a very long time. Banana Republics are not famous for their love of democracy.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,972

Easy, Labour left them with an eye-watering deficit in 2010 ;)
  • Options
    RobD said:

No, the GFC left us with a massive defecit. Or do you think it was Labour's fault?
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,848
    TimT said:

That may well be what conservatism is, but that is not what the British Conservative Party is. Of all the parties it is the least wedded to principles, which is part of its strength. You don't get to be a major political force for over a century by consistency .
  • Options

alex_ said:

alb1on said:

alb1on said:

alb1on said:

alb1on said:

No, i don't know any party activists. What do the LibDem and Labour canvas returns say?
  • Options
    Shame TSE spinning for the separatists now - this poll puts them on the same poll number they ve been getting for a decade - hardly great news for a party that needs 50pc+1
  • Options
    https://twitter.com/D_Raval/status/1198627791731929091

Labour will appreciate this analysis. They love the IFS now!
  • Options
    Schards said:

Of course there's a way.

You might want to tell @Big_G_NorthWales that. I think he thinks Boris will not no-deal.
  • Options
    alex_ said:

alex_ said:

alb1on said:

alb1on said:

alb1on said:

alb1on said:

No, i don't know any party activists. What do the LibDem and Labour canvas returns say?
    As I have said as a general comment ,this is not going to be a good election for the Lib Dems.
  • Options
    MRP is not based on any form of swing!!! Godsdammit will somebody rock up to No 10 with a flipchart and some pens and do a "Dougal, some cows are small but these are far away" on them?
  • Options

TimT said:

Good. Though it sounds like you're being critical, that is good news. Since when has the Conservative Party been petrified of making some radical policies where necessary? Every good Tory PM of my lifetime has been radical and revolutionary when necessary.

Thatcher - Do I need to expand on this? Her name is synonymous with radical and revolutionary.
    Cameron - Equal marriage, bringing the country back from the brink of bankruptcy after Brown, holding the referendum in the first place.

Major was OK but not great, he was weak and pretty useless post Black Wednesday and led to the worst election drubbing ever.
    May was neither radical nor revolutionary and she was a pathetic, dismal failure.

If Boris is going to be like Cameron/Thatcher in being confident to take the country forward rather than follow the path of worst PM ever Theresa May then that is good news is it not?

I'm not old enough to have been alive under any other Tory PMs but being radical and revolutionary at the right times has been a strength not a weakness for many.
  • Options

Javid and Johnson today trumpeted the fiscal prudence of the Tories. How therefore do they explain...

They lie.

Pause.

Well, you did ask... :)

• Options
    TimT said:

TimT said:

I was talking about the manifesto. And there is something conservative in a democracy about respecting the will of the people, however well worn that phrase is in relation to Brexit
    TimT said:

TimT said:

Come on Tim, you're referring to Direct Democracy. We have a Parliamentary Democracy, same as you. I surely don't need to point that out to you?
  • Options

alex_ said:

alb1on said:

alb1on said:

alb1on said:

alb1on said:

a) London Tories spill the beans on the true situation on the ground to someone neither a member nor a supporter
    b) London Tories feed out their preferred spin to a random passing innocent

You decide.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    As expectation management, or as the management of expectation?
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,907

RobD said:

Do we hate the IFS now?

I assume that question was directed to your fellow Corbynistas? :)
    Everyone seems to hate the IFS when they criticise something, so I assume now they've criticised a Tory plan they're bad now
    They are as close to a genuinely impartial financial fact check team that we have, and they will undoubtedly criticise everyone’s numbers.
  • Options

Shame TSE spinning for the separatists now - this poll puts them on the same poll number they ve been getting for a decade - hardly great news for a party that needs 50pc+1

You did see that Yes was on 49% in the same poll?
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,553
    As 2018 was the year when CO2 emissions reached the highest level ever, a deal which truly 'protects the environment' is going to have to be some deal.

Should polling companies be engaged with this meaningless drivel, and does it enhance their reputation for impartial information gathering?

• Options
    Another good day for Manchester Utd
  • Options

RobD said:

No, the GFC left us with a massive defecit. Or do you think it was Labour's fault?
    Yes.

It is Labour's fault it was overspending before the recession hit. Recessions happen - there was no reason to be running a major deficit after nearly two decades of uninterrupted growth. A recession was long overdue, under Keynesian economics which Labour was supposed to understand they should have been running a budget surplus but instead they were running a maxed out deficit.

Had the country had a small surplus going into the GFC then we could have absorbed the shock. We didn't.
  • Options

You did see that Yes was on 49% in the same poll?
    Who cares - Boris says no inyref2 for you - try not to cry
  • Options
    Hang on, I thought the criticism from the IFS was of fiscal incontinence for both of the mainstream parties vying for office, with Labour totally off the scale but for the Tories too spending commitments like they'd never seen before?

But now are we to believe that the main IFS criticism is that the Tory manifesto isn't spending enough and is just a bit boring?
  • Options

TimT said:

Tortuous, BR, but full marks for effort.
    We aim to please.
    viewcode said:

TimT said:

That may well be what conservatism is, but that is not what the British Conservative Party is. Of all the parties it is the least wedded to principles, which is part of its strength. You don't get to be a major political force for over a century by consistency .
    The Conservatives have won over 30% of the popular vote at every UK General Election since 1835. They've only lasted this long by adapting to survive.
  • Options

TimT said:

TimT said:

TimT said:

TimT said:

Come on Tim, you're referring to Direct Democracy. We have a Parliamentary Democracy, same as you. I surely don't need to point that out to you?
    And under Parliamentary Democracy, the Parliament voted to hold a referendum after years of pressure from MPs in Parliament [pressure coming from both the blue backbenches and orange front benchers prior to the blue and orange coalition PM agreeing to hold one].
  • Options

RobD said:

Yes.

It is Labour's fault it was overspending before the recession hit. Recessions happen - there was no reason to be running a major deficit after nearly two decades of uninterrupted growth. A recession was long overdue, under Keynesian economics which Labour was supposed to understand they should have been running a budget surplus but instead they were running a maxed out deficit.

Had the country had a small surplus going into the GFC then we could have absorbed the shock. We didn't.
    Old argument. Nothing the Tories were advocating at the time would have made things any better.
  • Options
    alex_ said:

Any time Phil Jones starts, the opposition are pretty much guaranteed a win.
  • Options
    Imagine if in, say, 1999, you had predicted that Campbell would be campaigning for the LibDems in a few years time:

https://twitter.com/campbellclaret/status/1198613073608814593
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

RobD said:

Yes.

Old argument. Nothing the Tories were advocating at the time would have made things any better.
    The Tories weren't in government, Labour were. Labour overspent as they always do. Problem with Labour is they always run out of other people's money.
  • Options

https://twitter.com/D_Raval/status/1198627791731929091

Labour will appreciate this analysis. They love the IFS now!

The advantage of the Tories going second: the IFS gives Labour both barrels for their crazy manifesto, Labour turns their fire on the IFS, which makes it pretty hard to claim the IFS is awesome when they criticize the Tories the next day!
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    My own unscientific hunch for quite some time has been if the Conservatives are doing well in Scotland then that bodes well for the Conservatives in Remain inclined seats in England and Wales.

Not sure about this. We've had plenty of debates about the Scottish Tory gains in 2015. Remainers on here were generally of the view that Ruth and unionism were the main drivers of the vote. I think Brexit is the key - though I do think the Tory brand is the strongest as far as unionism is concerned, so that is a help too.
  • Options

Hang on, I thought the criticism from the IFS was of fiscal incontinence for both of the mainstream parties vying for office, with Labour totally off the scale but for the Tories too spending commitments like they'd never seen before?

But now are we to believe that the main IFS criticism is that the Tory manifesto isn't spending enough and is just a bit boring?

They have to be cautious. After all, the WASPI women could win their appeal! ;)

• Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,608
    As a criticism unambitious seems to be a political judgement, not a fiscal one. I'll take it.
  • Options
    Banterman said:

alex_ said:

Any time Phil Jones starts, the opposition are pretty much guaranteed a win.
    I'm going to amend what I said at the end of the last thread.

Tories = Liverpool
    Labour = Tottenham Man Utd

Lib Dems = Altrincham Stanley.
  • Options
    Off topic, Spiral, series 7, on iPlayer. Recommended. The earlier series are on Amazon Sundance or from Amazon video by individual purchase.
  • Options

TimT said:

Good. Though it sounds like you're being critical, that is good news. Since when has the Conservative Party been petrified of making some radical policies where necessary? Every good Tory PM of my lifetime has been radical and revolutionary when necessary.

Thatcher - Do I need to expand on this? Her name is synonymous with radical and revolutionary.
    Cameron - Equal marriage, bringing the country back from the brink of bankruptcy after Brown, holding the referendum in the first place.

Major was OK but not great, he was weak and pretty useless post Black Wednesday and led to the worst election drubbing ever.
    May was neither radical nor revolutionary and she was a pathetic, dismal failure.

If Boris is going to be like Cameron/Thatcher in being confident to take the country forward rather than follow the path of worst PM ever Theresa May then that is good news is it not?

I'm not old enough to have been alive under any other Tory PMs but being radical and revolutionary at the right times has been a strength not a weakness for many.
    Regarding conservatism, neither critical nor approving, Philip - just factual.

I go back to Atlee, who was pretty radical, so yes, I agree, radicalism can be positive or negative. Depends on the policy, the circumstances, and the options.

Brexit is radical alright, and the stupidest policy any government has tried to implement in my lifetime, but if you haven't worked that out yet, can't help you.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

RobD said:

Yes.

The Tories weren't in government, Labour were. Labour overspent as they always do. Problem with Labour is they always run out of other people's money.
    It's a warning for any party who think their best laid plans wont be thrown of course by events. Guarantees to not increase income tax or vat can really bit if we hit a recession and the budget goes into freefall. Not if, but when...
  • Options

RobD said:

Yes.

The Tories backed Labour's spending plans. Are you really going to sit here and tell me we'd have had no recession or deficit with them in power? Come on.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    edited November 2019
    TimT said:

TimT said:

There really isn't. It's not just that we have no tradition of direct democracy, we have a constitution which emphatically rules it out: parliamentary sovereignty means exactly what it says.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,608

RobD said:

Yes.

The Tories backed Labour's spending plans. Are you really going to sit here and tell me we'd have had no recession or deficit with them in power? Come on.
    Not in 2005.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

RobD said:

Yes.

Not in 2005.
    No you're right, in 2007.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/6975536.stm
  • Options
    <
    >

Frankly I don't give a damn what you think. I come on this site fairly irregularly to give people a heads up on pieces of info I come across.A few people who followed my advice to get on Trump based on early Florida voting results I pointed out made some money in 2016.(I was on Trump at 60 to 1 when he first put his name forward for the Republican nomination for what it's worth).
    I also highlighted heavy leave voting around the estates in South East London where I canvassed in the EU referendum was pointing to a Leave win even though the polls said otherwise. Take it or leave it.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,805
    It's the shamelessness with which party hacks do that kind of thing that gets me. I'd be embarrassed to have to shift on a dime like that so blatantly, but they all manage it.
  • Options

You don't really understand economics do you? If you are in overdraft, your overdraft keeps rising with interest payments until you actually lodge more money in your account than comes out of it. Thanks to Gordon Brown who blew all the surpluses during the Blair years, until Javid achieves a balanced budget providing surpluses, the actual debt (not deficit) will continue to rise. However if it rises more slowly than growth of GDP, the ratio debt to GDP will fall.
  • Options

Imagine if in, say, 1999, you had predicted that Campbell would be campaigning for the LibDems in a few years time:

Apparently Luciana Berger goes down quite well with the electorate in Finchley and Golders Green, but she's not thought likely to win. Too many voters adopt the attitude that one less Tory MP equals a slightly increased chance of a Corbyn-led Government.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,081

IanB2 said:

RobD said:

Yes.

And you’re going to run out of other people’s money paying for Brexit.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

It's the shamelessness with which party hacks do that kind of thing that gets me. I'd be embarrassed to have to shift on a dime like that so blatantly, but they all manage it.
    The key to that statement is shamelessness. They are all totally shameless, of course.
  • Options

Apparently Luciana Berger goes down quite well with the electorate in Finchley and Golders Green, but she's not thought likely to win. Too many voters adopt the attitude that one less Tory MP equals a slightly increased chance of a Corbyn-led Government.
    And they'd be right. She's the candidate I feel most sorry for, since she deserves to win as a standing rebuke to Labour's antisemitism, but every single Tory MP counts in this election.
  • Options

I have a small wager on Luciana. Indeed, I have several LibDem to win constituency bets.

Beginning to think they were a mistake.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

IanB2 said:

RobD said:

Yes.

Evidence please
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,988
    edited November 2019
    What is the meaning of his 'Phil Jones' to whom you refer?

Edited extra bit: *this, even.
  • Options

Is she the one from Liverpool that Tim formerly of this parish got on well with?

God only knows what he makes of Labour now
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Actually, tbh the IFS said much the same things about both parties in 2017 and it seemed to make little difference.
    Labour last time got next to no scrutiny of their manifesto. The "its all fully costed" was pretty much swallowed all round. This time its very different.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

RobD said:

Yes.

Not in 2005.

Labour backed the Tories’ policies over the ERM. Indeed, Brown was angry that we withdrew from it! Does that give the Tories a free pass for Black Wednesday? Absolutely not.

When a party is in government and epically screws up, it does not matter what the opposition would or would not have done.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Wait - was it only a couple of days ago they were slamming the IFS?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

MaxPB said:

RobD said:

Yes.

Not in 2005.

Labour backed the Tories’ policies over the ERM. Indeed, Brown was angry that we withdrew from it! Does that give the Tories a free pass for Black Wednesday? Absolutely not.

When a party is in government and epically screws up, it does not matter what the opposition would or would not have done.
    I'm just saying the idea that there would have been no recession or deficit under the Tories is literally ridiculous.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Labour last time got next to no scrutiny of their manifesto. The "its all fully costed" was pretty much swallowed all round. This time its very different.
    The IFS did not swallow it.

Nor did they swallow the Tory tax plans.

It’s just nobody listened to them.

If their analysis is cutting through this time I think that’s good news. Political conversation has become more or less infantilised and it could do with a brutal dose of cold hard reality.
  • Options
    Floater said:

IanB2 said:

RobD said:

Yes.

Evidence please
    Evidence of what? We are still running a deficit and Brexit is going to result in less tax money and less growth. Simple. Other people’s money.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

MaxPB said:

RobD said:

Yes.

Not in 2005.

I'm just saying the idea that there would have been no recession or deficit under the Tories is literally ridiculous.
    But nobody is saying that. What they are saying is that Labour’s fiscal policy left us grossly overexposed to the GFC and that is the baseline cause of our current financial problems.

That is true, and it is not the less true for all this whataboutery. And until Labour fess up and say sorry, it leaves them with a huge credibility gap.
  • Options
    ukelectukelect Posts: 106
    The latest UK-Elect forecast (taking account of updated Scottish and other polls) is for a Conservative majority of 78 - Con 363 Lab 194 SNP 44 LD 25

The forecast is here:
    UK-Elect Forecast November 24 2019

Details as CSV file are here:

UK-Elect Forecast Details November 24 2019
  • Options

That’s the odd thing about this election.

A bunch of Labour politicians have abandoned their party, because of its left-wing extremism and anti-semitism, several going to the LibDems

A bunch of Tory politicians have abandoned their party, because of its extremism and obsession with Brexit, several going to the LibDems

Yet so far there is little sign of people following the politicians.
  • Options

What is the meaning of his 'Phil Jones' to whom you refer?

Edited extra bit: *this, even.

He plays for Manchester United, he's the Luca Badoer of defenders.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

RobD said:

Yes.

Including pointing out how shit the regulation was?

Labour fecked up royally

Let alone that no more boom and bust crap - so lets spend, spend spend

• Options
    Time_to_LeaveTime_to_Leave Posts: 2,547
    edited November 2019
    Basically, there’s nothing new or noteworthy in the Tory manifesto and we’ll have forgotten about it in 24 hours. It just reinforces the lines to date. That’s mission accomplished isn’t it?
  • Options
    Floater said:

IanB2 said:

RobD said:

Yes.

Labour fecked up royally

I thought you guys were in favour of minimal to no regulation?
  • Options

Floater said:

IanB2 said:

RobD said:

Yes.

Evidence please
    Evidence of what? We are still running a deficit and Brexit is going to result in less tax money and less growth. Simple. Other people’s money.
    So, if your concerned about a deficit you clearly will reject Labour?

Still waiting for evidence
  • Options
    Floater said:

IanB2 said:

RobD said:

Yes.

Labour fecked up royally

The Tories wanted less regulation.

It's honestly like you live on another planet
This discussion has been closed.