Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Ladbrokes make it 6/4 that there’ll be another Brexit referend

Comments

• Options
    148grss148grss Posts: 3,679
    isam said:

148grss said:

148grss said:
    Guardian doesn’t like Tory Queen’s Speech shocker.
    And a barrister that has a long history of talking about the failings of this government in spending regarding criminal justice is what, just another expert to be ignored? Just because they're writing in the Guardian, doesn't mean one shouldn't look at what they have to say.
    Are they a barrister?
    https://thesecretbarrister.com/about/
  • Options
    ozymandiasozymandias Posts: 1,503
    Byronic said:

When even a Scottish Tory thinks you're fcuking up, you're really fcuking up

https://twitter.com/murdo_fraser/status/1183712603803136000?s=20.

Some of the replies from the Unionist fraternity are a joy to behold.

Even I think the sentences handed down by Madrid are draconian and grossly disproportionate. I commented as much this morning.

Does that make me an honorary Nit?
    I agree.

The sentences are extraordinary. I would comment that I have voted SNP when I lived in Scotland, but did not and do not support independence
    The sentences aren't just "extraordinary" they are stupid. The one way to stoke Catalan grievance, and fire up the Catindy debate once again, is to hand down brutal punishments. Amazingly, this is exactly what Madrid has done. They are still Bourbons in Castile: forgetting nothing, but learning nothing.

There's a painful echo here of the moronic way the British punished the rebels of the 1916 Easter Rising. If they'd been treated reasonably, and cleverly, the fires of Irish nationalism might have gone out. Instead the British executed almost all of them, even the ones who were so badly wounded they had to be tied to a chair, so as to be shot.

I get the feeling Madrid would like to shoot the Calatan rebels, if only it was permitted. This will not end well.
    But surely the civilising, progressive, open and democratising EU, vanguard of human rights and freedom of speech will ensure such sentences are swiftly condemned and overturned.

• Options
    148grss said:

148grss said:
    And a barrister that has a long history of talking about the failings of this government in spending regarding criminal justice is what, just another expert to be ignored? Just because they're writing in the Guardian, doesn't mean one shouldn't look at what they have to say.
    Everyone wants more spending on what they care about. Unfortunately we also have trillions in debt and a deficit even after austerity. So unless you are proposing cutting something else to pay for the extra spending you want it's a meaningless comment.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,205
    isam said:

148grss said:

148grss said:
    Are they a barrister?
    Yes.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,205

Scott_P said:
    Not really headlines.

It has been the case since the Benn Act but 41% supporting no deal in today's YouGov and more blaming the EU than UK if talks fail he may well be in a better political place than many think

So a minority support No Deal. Why is the government so intent on it then?
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,932

The Government is embarrassing the Queen by dragging her into the political arena.

Peter, she should be forced to something for the shedloads of cash she and her parasitic family rob off us.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    Not really. It's been policy for years and is standard practice in much of the world.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,926
    Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

GIN1138 said:

LOL! Basically the doors are going to be locked and they're not being let out until something is agreed! :D
    FFS they have talked and talked and talked about this. We have had more bloviating MPs rattling on about their entrenched positions on this than on any other subject in our history.

The time for talking is over. None of them have anything new to say.
    This is a silly talking point. Their job isn't to talk about *brexit* overall, it's to scrutinize the specific proposal the government is proposing. This is important because governments will often fail to take account of important issues, and will sometimes deliberately conceal problems in a way that's hard to reveal without detailed questioning. A lot of this work happens in committees not the floor of the House, which in high-profile debates does indeed tend to attract a lot of repetitive bloviating.

They haven't yet spent a single day talking about what the government is proposing, because nobody knows WTF the government is proposing. It's ridiculous to say that the government needs three and a half years to work out an acceptable proposal, but then they can't even spare a few weeks for parliament to ask them what it'll mean in practice.
    Well said. If - a big if - there is a deal, it will affect the lives of everyone for years to come. The very least we have the right to expect is that it be properly scrutinised notrushed through after a 5 hour debate.
    Theyve had 3+ years and decided nothing

maybe a bit of pressure is what they need.
    I am too tired to argue but that must rank as one of the stupidest ways of deciding something so important.

You don’t even know what the fucking deal is let alone its implications. It would probably take 5 hours to read let alone understand the legal text and any Bill implementing it. But hey let’s vote on it on the basis of total ignorance and screw those who are affected by it.

Jesus wept.
    I wouldn't worry, 95%ish of them will have made their minds up about it before seeing the detail.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Edit : @Theuniondivvie Madrid does however have a veto on new EU entrants

The line the SNP take on Scotland being "automatically" an EU state isn't sound. Madrid could potentially push back on it, pour encourager les Catalans.

Independent Scotland might well end up an independent EU state but it's not guaranteed. It also gives London a tremendous amount of power, no Section 30 => UDI = No EU membership for Scotland for sure.

Spain has already said they have no issue with Scotland joining the EU as long as independence is achieved constitutionally.
    I look forward to the scottish backstop discussions
    There’s no need for one. If England wants to leave the single market and customs union there can be a normal customs border.
    The usual drivel from unionists, Spain , currency and borders. All have been proven to be bullshit.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,586
    Charles said:

kle4 said:

Noo said:

Europe: That UK, eh? It's a riddle, wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma, all swaddled in a load of Ruritanian pish.

https://twitter.com/sturdyAlex/status/1183673365359411200?s=20

It's a morris dancer, wrapped inside a tapestry, all swaddled in a plastic itch cone. Do you think they know they look like a bunch of tossers?
    I'm sure they know it looks ridiculous. What does that matter?

Next step let's complaining about the US president pardoning Turkeys.

I don't mind Presidents pardoning Turkey (IIRC its only one). I do mind them facilitating Turkey-led genocide
    Or themselves, or their criminal confederates.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,121
    Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

GIN1138 said:

LOL! Basically the doors are going to be locked and they're not being let out until something is agreed! :D
    FFS they have talked and talked and talked about this. We have had more bloviating MPs rattling on about their entrenched positions on this than on any other subject in our history.

This is a silly talking point. Their job isn't to talk about *brexit* overall, it's to scrutinize the specific proposal the government is proposing. This is important because governments will often fail to take account of important issues, and will sometimes deliberately conceal problems in a way that's hard to reveal without detailed questioning. A lot of this work happens in committees not the floor of the House, which in high-profile debates does indeed tend to attract a lot of repetitive bloviating.

They haven't yet spent a single day talking about what the government is proposing, because nobody knows WTF the government is proposing. It's ridiculous to say that the government needs three and a half years to work out an acceptable proposal, but then they can't even spare a few weeks for parliament to ask them what it'll mean in practice.
    Well said. If - a big if - there is a deal, it will affect the lives of everyone for years to come. The very least we have the right to expect is that it be properly scrutinised notrushed through after a 5 hour debate.

I am too tired to argue but that must rank as one of the stupidest ways of deciding something so important.

You don’t even know what the fucking deal is let alone its implications. It would probably take 5 hours to read let alone understand the legal text and any Bill implementing it. But hey let’s vote on it on the basis of total ignorance and screw those who are affected by it.

Jesus wept.
    That's why I sometimes can't help wondering whether Alanbrooke and others here are not what they seem, but people trying to make Brexiteers look as stupid as possible.

The reason I find that difficult to believe is that they go so far beyond what any sane person would consider plausible.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395

Byronic said:

Even I think the sentences handed down by Madrid are draconian and grossly disproportionate. I commented as much this morning.

I agree.

The sentences are extraordinary. I would comment that I have voted SNP when I lived in Scotland, but did not and do not support independence
    The sentences aren't just "extraordinary" they are stupid. The one way to stoke Catalan grievance, and fire up the Catindy debate once again, is to hand down brutal punishments. Amazingly, this is exactly what Madrid has done. They are still Bourbons in Castile: forgetting nothing, but learning nothing.

There's a painful echo here of the moronic way the British punished the rebels of the 1916 Easter Rising. If they'd been treated reasonably, and cleverly, the fires of Irish nationalism might have gone out. Instead the British executed almost all of them, even the ones who were so badly wounded they had to be tied to a chair, so as to be shot.

I get the feeling Madrid would like to shoot the Calatan rebels, if only it was permitted. This will not end well.
    But surely the civilising, progressive, open and democratising EU, vanguard of human rights and freedom of speech will ensure such sentences are swiftly condemned and overturned.

The Spanish general election takes place on 10th November. It'll be interesting to see what happens in Catalonia.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,753
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,964
    Pulpstar said:

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

GIN1138 said:

Jesus wept.
    I wouldn't worry, 95%ish of them will have made their minds up about it before seeing the detail.
    Yeah, who here actually thinks MPs are going to read the full text of the agreement?
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

GIN1138 said:

Jesus wept.
    How many MPs votes are going to depend upon reading the deal?
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

The line the SNP take on Scotland being "automatically" an EU state isn't sound. Madrid could potentially push back on it, pour encourager les Catalans.

Independent Scotland might well end up an independent EU state but it's not guaranteed. It also gives London a tremendous amount of power, no Section 30 => UDI = No EU membership for Scotland for sure.

I'm not really aware of anyone saying it would happen automatically, just that it would be easier than if we'd gone indy in 2014. I think the Spanish veto would only really be in play if there was an 'illegal' referendum, hence BJ and chums' desperation to avoid a section 30.
    Jo Swinson rejected it yesterday so all three Westminster leaders reject Section 30 and will do so at the next GE no doubt
    All cowards G , trying to hold onto their Empire, they can go F*** themselves. Given the union is just a treaty , why would they not just revoke the treaty, these pygmies will not stop it for sure.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,992
    Cyclefree said:

Scott_P said:
    Not really headlines.

It has been the case since the Benn Act but 41% supporting no deal in today's YouGov and more blaming the EU than UK if talks fail he may well be in a better political place than many think

So a minority support No Deal. Why is the government so intent on it then?
    Only 33% support revoke and Remain in the same poll and 41% can give a Tory majority under FPTP.

Boris wants a Deal but is prepared to go for No Deal if necessary to deliver Brexit
  • Options
    Do you need to show photo ID in order to collect welfare benefits?
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483
    Thanks it’s been 30+ years since I had to look for him and he might of even been Waldo then
  • Options
  • Options
    The_TaxmanThe_Taxman Posts: 2,979
    AndyJS said:

AndyJS said:

No but you have a NI number and they will do DPA on you.
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300

Scott_P said:
    Not really. It's been policy for years and is standard practice in much of the world.
    Boris is trying to rig the next election but I think CCHQ might have taken aim at its own foot with this scheme imported from the USA GOP. Driving licences might skew Tory but I'd want to see evidence for that, and more so for passports which might be held by youngish holidaymakers and muslim Hajj pilgrims, which groups tilt towards Labour. Has someone got the numbers?
  • Options
    sladeslade Posts: 1,932
    All those MPs have to leave to go and support their favourite football teams?
  • Options

148grss said:
    The Guardian recognises that Patel is a posturing hypocrite.
    Did you read the linked article ? Your comment is curiously absent any kind of rebuttal.
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    Pulpstar said:

Of course PM Boris and Westminster can now block any indyref2 to their hearts content and still seem reasonable thanks to the actions of the Spanish courts and Government today in jailing Catalan nationalist leaders for holding an unauthorised referendum.

Thankyou Madrid!
  • Options

Scott_P said:
    Not really headlines.

Perhaps the funniest thing I've seen in recent days was the new report suggesting that Johnson is now terrified of No Deal - presumably because someone has finally explained to him what it would mean.
  • Options
    Chris said:

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

GIN1138 said:

Jesus wept.
    That's why I sometimes can't help wondering whether Alanbrooke and others here are not what they seem, but people trying to make Brexiteers look as stupid as possible.

The reason I find that difficult to believe is that they go so far beyond what any sane person would consider plausible.
    Alanbrooke is exactly what he says he is , a very intelligent businessman with his own companies.
  • Options

148grss said:

148grss said:
    Everyone wants more spending on what they care about. Unfortunately we also have trillions in debt and a deficit even after austerity. So unless you are proposing cutting something else to pay for the extra spending you want it's a meaningless comment.
    RTFA.
    It points out that plenty of cash can be found for a policy which will in all likelihood be entirely ineffective, outside of providing Patel with a headline.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

You need ID to pick up a parcel from the post office. Perhaps the post office are preventing people from receiving certain items of mail?
  • Options
    BurgessianBurgessian Posts: 2,438

Byronic said:

I agree.

Remember that this is the same Kingdom of Spain which will have a veto over the conditions that an independent Scotland would have once it entered negotiations to re-enter the EU. Wonder if that has been wargamed at the NatFest?
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

LOL, you are kidding. It is paid into bank accounts , at worst you turn up once every couple of years for interview.
  • Options

Scott_P said:
    Boris is trying to rig the next election but I think CCHQ might have taken aim at its own foot with this scheme imported from the USA GOP. Driving licences might skew Tory but I'd want to see evidence for that, and more so for passports which might be held by youngish holidaymakers and muslim Hajj pilgrims, which groups tilt towards Labour. Has someone got the numbers?
    Many elderly people don't have either.
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    edited October 2019
    Cyclefree said:

Jesus wept.

Cyclefree, you know I respect you. However, pretty much everyone is in entrenched positions and it will not take much more than a nano second for everyone to decide which side of the fence they sit on.

The more I research the issue of dealing with risk in complex adaptive systems, them more I appreciate the damage of analysis paralysis. Surely, we've been past that point in the UK where inaction and uncertainty is what is causing the bulk of the damage for at least a year, perhaps more like two.

There is a growing body of management science and systems science saying that the best way forward in complex adaptive systems is simply to act, and then react to what the action results in, rather than seek to analyze and plan in detail. We may well be riven as to what action should be taken, but we may also be at a point where any action is better than continued paralysis.
  • Options
    CatManCatMan Posts: 2,770

AndyJS said:

You need ID to pick up a parcel from the post office. Perhaps the post office are preventing people from receiving certain items of mail?
    You can use a Bank Card as ID at the post office.

Is that going to be allowed as a form of ID to vote? (Genuine question)
  • Options

Sandpit said:

148grss said:
    And The 'My political persuasion is not so Secret Barrister' retweets it double shocker
    To be fair to him, he did write the piece.
    Oh pish , I'm not letting facts get in the way of my ranting

Why break a longstanding habit ? :smile:
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

Of course PM Boris and Westminster can now block any indyref2 to their hearts content and still seem reasonable thanks to the actions of the Spanish courts and Government today in jailing Catalan nationalist leaders for holding an unauthorised referendum.

Thankyou Madrid!
    You really are as thick as mince and nasty with it.
  • Options
    NooNoo Posts: 2,380
    MTimT said:

Cyclefree said:

Jesus wept.

Cyclefree, you know I respect you. However, pretty much everyone is in entrenched positions and it will not take much more than a nano second for everyone to decide which side of the fence they sit on.

The more I research the issue of dealing with risk in complex adaptive systems, them more I appreciate the damage of analysis paralysis. Surely, we've been past that point in the UK where inaction and uncertainty is what is causing the bulk of the damage for at least a year, perhaps more like two.

There is a growing body of management science and systems science saying that the best way forward in complex adaptive systems is simply to act, and then react to what the action results in, rather than seek to analyze and plan in detail. We may well be riven as to what action should be taken, but we may also be at a point where any action is better than continued paralysis.
    Ah the Diceman school of management.
  • Options

Byronic said:

I agree.

Remember that this is the same Kingdom of Spain which will have a veto over the conditions that an independent Scotland would have once it entered negotiations to re-enter the EU. Wonder if that has been wargamed at the NatFest?
    You moron , the Spanish Government has already stated many times that it is none of their business and that they would NOT veto Scotland joining EU if it met the joining rules.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,983
    Mr. CatMan, I'm not sure but in the pilot there was a long list of permissible types of ID, and if none were already owned a voter could simply ask the local council for one specifically for the purpose of voting.
  • Options

148grss said:
    The Secret Barrister is so Left-wing he makes Jeremy Corbyn look like Jacob Rees-Mogg.
    That's a bit of an understatement.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

Thankyou Madrid!
    You really are as thick as mince and nasty with it.
    Far from it, being really nasty would be Boris passing a law jailing Sturgeon and the Scottish executive for trying to hold an unauthorised independence referendum as Madrid has done, instead Boris will just block an unauthorised referendum
  • Options
    MTimT said:

Cyclefree said:

Jesus wept.

She just pointed out it would take about 5 hours to read it.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,754
    Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

GIN1138 said:

Jesus wept.
    Its been the way we have worked in the EU for ages. Why werent you yelling then ?

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/flint-admits-i-havent-read-lisbon-treaty-6900498.html
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    CatMan said:

AndyJS said:

You can use a Bank Card as ID at the post office.

Is that going to be allowed as a form of ID to vote? (Genuine question)
    Not everyone has a bank card, driving licience or passport. Come to think about it they may not have a utility bill either. The poor will be impacted by an ID measure. Some people live in ways many on PB cannot comprehend.
  • Options
    Chris said:

MTimT said:

Cyclefree said:

Jesus wept.

If it’s effectively the same deal as before but with some amendments then Mark Up would
    speed things up surely?
  • Options
    The Catalan Football Federation suspends football matches throughout Catalonia.
  • Options
    Chris said:

Scott_P said:
    Apparently 25% don’t have driving license or passport
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    I've always quite liked the fact that you can vote in this country without any form of identification whatsoever, because it shows how honest most people are and how there's a high level of trust between people. It would be kind of depressing if we have to resort to ID checks like every other country just because of problems in a tiny number of areas.
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    Chris said:

MTimT said:

Cyclefree said:

Jesus wept.

Indeed and since the same people have done nothing meaningful in the last 5 months why will the do anything meaningful in 5 hours ?
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

GIN1138 said:

Jesus wept.
    Its been the way we have worked in the EU for ages. Why werent you yelling then ?

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/flint-admits-i-havent-read-lisbon-treaty-6900498.html
    See what I mean about Alanbrooke's arguments being implausibly stupid?

A Labour minister admitted ten years ago she hadn't read a treaty. So that means it's reasonable to force MPs to decide on an agreement without even giving anyone a chance to read it?

Does this level of stupidity come naturally, or is surgical intervention required?
  • Options
    dyedwooliedyedwoolie Posts: 7,786
    Corbyn is appallingly bad at the despatch box
  • Options

Corbyn is appallingly bad at the despatch box

Yes he is but who cares? He only needs a passable 10 seconds for the clipped video.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

I've always quite liked the fact that you can vote in this country without any form of identification whatsoever, because it shows how honest most people are and how there's a high level of trust between people. It would be kind of depressing if we have to resort to ID checks like every other country just because of problems in a tiny number of areas.

I lost my polling card at a recent election and went along and gave my name and address. No problem! I asked one of the staff about ID and he was in favour but to be honest i am not so sure as some people have chaotic lives with a low level of sophistication. It cannot be right to penalise those who have as much right as anyone else to vote but not the means...
  • Options
    ArtistArtist Posts: 1,882
    edited October 2019
    Corbyn bigging up Pidcock in his speech.
  • Options
    Chris said:

MTimT said:

Cyclefree said:

Jesus wept.

Noo said:

MTimT said:

Cyclefree said:

Jesus wept.

Ah the Diceman school of management.
    Nope.
  • Options
    edited October 2019

Chris said:

MTimT said:

Cyclefree said:

Jesus wept.

Indeed and since the same people have done nothing meaningful in the last 5 months why will the do anything meaningful in 5 hours ?
    That's meant to be an argument for rushing into a decision without thinking about it properly?

Why am I surprised? It's the story of the Brexiteers' lives, after all.
  • Options

AndyJS said:

I lost my polling card at a recent election and went along and gave my name and address. No problem! I asked one of the staff about ID and he was in favour but to be honest i am not so sure as some people have chaotic lives with a low level of sophistication. It cannot be right to penalise those who have as much right as anyone else to vote but not the means...
    There are going to be free alternatives, so people will just need to take the ten or so minutes to apply for it.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

There are problems but not connected with personation which is what voter ID addresses. That is how we know it is about voter suppression. The actual problems are around postal vote fraud and so-called family voting.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,298

AndyJS said:

yebbut last time (2017) I went along to vote only to be told that I had already voted. There were several furiously busy phonecalls before I was allowed to vote. I didn't pursue the matter further (were they going to do so themselves?) but there is an argument for some kind of better identification process. There are unscrupulous people out there, sadly.
  • Options
    Chris said:

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

GIN1138 said:

You don’t even know whaffected by it.

Jesus wept.

A Labour minister admitted ten years ago she hadn't read a treaty. So that means it's reasonable to force MPs to decide on an agreement without even giving anyone a chance to read it?

Does this level of stupidity come naturally, or is surgical intervention required?
    Maybe the current farrago goes back to the same treaty or were you too young to notice at the time ?

Likewise since you lawyers all demand more time and studious contemplation , how come we keep signing up to things in EU summits at 4 in the morning when everyone is knackered and they all just want to go home ?

• Options
    148grss148grss Posts: 3,679
    Can people apply online for these acceptable IDs, or only in person? Will councils, already trying to deal with the cuts by moving as much admin online as possible, be able to cope with people asking for IDs? Will central government give more resources to local governments for this added service, or will council tax increase? How much training will people who sit at voting booths be given so they know what is acceptable ID, and what is a fake ID? Will they also be given unconscious bias training? Will the national government do an advertising campaign telling people about the change and available IDs, or will this be down to local governments?

Voter ID laws are an answer to what question? We have no credible issue with voter fraud in this country. This is a solution begging a problem; it is nothing more than a continuation of the Cameroon model of making it harder to vote and disrupting young people and people who move often trying to exercise the franchise.
  • Options
    And how will these voters prove their identity to the council, and why can't this alternative proof be used at the polling station?
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

AndyJS said:

yebbut last time (2017) I went along to vote only to be told that I had already voted. There were several furiously busy phonecalls before I was allowed to vote. I didn't pursue the matter further (were they going to do so themselves?) but there is an argument for some kind of better identification process. There are unscrupulous people out there, sadly.
    Someone else in a top hat, no doubt :D
  • Options

AndyJS said:

There are problems but not connected with personation which is what voter ID addresses. That is how we know it is about voter suppression. The actual problems are around postal vote fraud and so-called family voting.
    Forcing people to apply for ID cards could certainly suppress turnout among some groups. Considering which groups will predominantly need to apply, I wonder whether the government has really thought this through.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,187
    6/4 for Ref2?

There must have been worse bets but right now I can't think of any.

What's the opposite of fill your boots?
  • Options
    Chris said:

Chris said:

MTimT said:

Cyclefree said:

Jesus wept.

That's meant to be an argument for rushing into a decision without thinking about it properly?

You mean in ll the time youve been on PB youre only getting round to thinking about this now ?
  • Options
    Chris said:

AndyJS said:

Forcing people to apply for ID cards could certainly suppress turnout among some groups. Considering which groups will predominantly need to apply, I wonder whether the government has really thought this through.
    Yes of course they have I think you answered your own question.
  • Options
    RobD said:

AndyJS said:

There are going to be free alternatives, so people will just need to take the ten or so minutes to apply for it.
    Knowing the type of people i refer to in earlier comments i doubt they have the capacity to plan ahead. People will just arrive at polling stations and get turned away. Surely if the way voting is undertaken is changed. It should be mandatory. You can always spoil the ballot...
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,610
    Chris said:

AndyJS said:

Indeed, an interesting trio of graphs in this twitter thread.

https://twitter.com/JoeTwyman/status/1183323171409334272?s=19
  • Options
    Chris said:

Chris said:

MTimT said:

Cyclefree said:

Jesus wept.

I've been coming to the conclusion that people who are still in favour of Brexit are a strong distillation of people who don't understand why processes are important. It's a strong overlap with the traditional right-wing approach to things: criminals? Hang em! Baddies in foreign lands? Nuke em! Don't like the ECJ? Leave without a deal!
    Complex issues, simple answers that don't work. And if it's shown to not* be working, fuck it, go faster.

* split infinitive especially for LuckyGuy1883
  • Options

Chris said:

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

You don’t even know whaffected by it.

Jesus wept.

Maybe the current farrago goes back to the same treaty or were you too young to notice at the time ?

Likewise since you lawyers all demand more time and studious contemplation , how come we keep signing up to things in EU summits at 4 in the morning when everyone is knackered and they all just want to go home ?
    You're almost raving now. Try calming down, lying in a darkened room for a while, and attempting to re-connect with reality.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

AndyJS said:

Sure, I am just saying that some people lack capacity to plan ahead.
  • Options
    RobD said:

TOPPING said:

AndyJS said:

Someone else in a top hat, no doubt :D
    Not many of us around any more.
  • Options
    Syrian state media shows Syrian government troops arriving in Kurdish held towns on the Turkish border after an agreement between the Kurdish administration and the Assad regime to contain Turkish aggression

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-50039106
  • Options

RobD said:

AndyJS said:

Knowing the type of people i refer to in earlier comments i doubt they have the capacity to plan ahead. People will just arrive at polling stations and get turned away. Surely if the way voting is undertaken is changed. It should be mandatory. You can always spoil the ballot...
    I can imagine a scenario where you get a warning the first time, with instructions of how to proceed next time. After a few elections it’ll be second nature.
  • Options
    Noo said:

Chris said:

Chris said:

MTimT said:

Cyclefree said:

Jesus wept.

I've been coming to the conclusion that people who are still in favour of Brexit are a strong distillation of people who don't understand why processes are important. It's a strong overlap with the traditional right-wing approach to things: criminals? Hang em! Baddies in foreign lands? Nuke em! Don't like the ECJ? Leave without a deal!
    Complex issues, simple answers that don't work. And if it's shown to not* be working, fuck it, go faster.

* split infinitive especially for LuckyGuy1883
    +1 I agree. Brexit is very complicated. Just Leaving is not viable as some people advocate.
  • Options

AndyJS said:

Whilst on the surface it seems simply a matter of applying for said ID card but it’s extra hassle, it possibly problematic of those scared of official forms and most likely being remembering where you put the damn thing last year or even five years ago
  • Options
    Chris said:

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

GIN1138 said:

Think it is you that is stupid , MP's have had months and months to read it. Any that have not should be jailed.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

AndyJS said:

Sure, I am just saying that some people lack capacity to plan ahead.
    Yes I appreciate that. On balance I like the system as is. Then again for those people perhaps they could plaster the message all over the motorways like they are doing for Brexit: "Want to vote? Register now."
  • Options
    XtrainXtrain Posts: 338
    nichomar said:

Chris said:

Scott_P said:
    My parents don't have either.
  • Options
    nichomar said:

Chris said:

AndyJS said:

No - answering the question would require some research. Foxy just posted some relevant data. Perhaps there is more.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Chris said:

AndyJS said:

Indeed, an interesting trio of graphs in this twitter thread.

https://twitter.com/JoeTwyman/status/1183323171409334272?s=19
    Fascinating! So there might be an effect of suppressing the Leave vote in a future referendum? I can't deny the frisson of pleasure that this causes me, but no, it's wrong to think in those terms.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,860
    Artist said:

Next Lab. leader
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Chris said:

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

GIN1138 said:

Think it is you that is stupid , MP's have had months and months to read it. Any that have not should be jailed.
    Eh ?
    We are talking about an as yet un-agreed and obviously therefore unpublished agreement.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Chris said:

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

GIN1138 said:

?
    They've had "months and months" to read an agreement that hasn't been reached yet, let alone written down?

You are a follower of the late Dr J. B. Rhine, I presume?
  • Options
    nichomar said:

Chris said:

Scott_P said:
    I was looking for this stat earlier. Do you have a source (apologies if it was cut off your quote)
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

malcolmg said:

Chris said:

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

GIN1138 said:

Eh ?
    We are talking about an as yet un-agreed and obviously therefore unpublished agreement.
    I thought we were talking about the WA, that is only document Boris will be bringing back. May have a few extra comma's or full stops but little else.
  • Options
    nichomar said:

Chris said:

AndyJS said:

An attempt to suppress the Brexit party vote, then ?
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Nigelb said:

malcolmg said:

Chris said:

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

Eh ?
    I thought we were talking about the WA, that is only document Boris will be bringing back. May have a few extra comma's or full stops but little else.
    You thought we were talking about whether MPs would vote this weekend to approve Theresa May's Withdrawal Agreement?

Seriously?
  • Options
    Chris said:

Chris said:

MTimT said:

Cyclefree said:

Jesus wept.

Sounds like Nancy Pelosi. "We have to pass this bill to find out what's in it"
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Nigelb said:

malcolmg said:

Chris said:

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

Eh ?
    If that's really the case, which is... unlikely, then it would probably take a good few hours to make sure it really is the WA, and not something similar with a few strange clauses sneaked in.
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    Chris said:

malcolmg said:

Nigelb said:

malcolmg said:

Chris said:

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

Eh ?
    You thought we were talking about whether MPs would vote this weekend to approve Theresa May's Withdrawal Agreement?

Seriously?
    < /irony >
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,870
    MTimT said:

This sounds suspiciously like Tony Wilson's interpretation of praxis:
    In the Channel Four television documentary New Order: Play At Home, Factory Records owner Tony Wilson describes praxis as “Doing something because you have the urge to do it, inventing the reasons later.” Elsewhere, Wilson has been quoted as saying “You learn why you do something by doing it. The Theory of Independence was discovered in the act of putting out your own records, doing very well, being friends with your artists and not ripping them off. And by 1981, we were all doing it.” Which perfectly sums up the Factory ethos.
    Given that Factory Records went spectacularly bust after sending the Happy Mondays to Barbados to discover crack cocaine, I'm not sure this is a great precedent.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Any that have not should be jailed.

:D
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

6/4 for Ref2?

There must have been worse bets but right now I can't think of any.

What's the opposite of fill your boots?

Empty your bowels ?
  • Options
    MTimT said:

Chris said:

Chris said:

MTimT said:

Cyclefree said:

Jesus wept.

Sounds like Nancy Pelosi. "We have to pass this bill to find out what's in it"
    Can anyone really be so stupid?

You have to read it to know what's in it.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,215

Artist said:

Next Lab. leader
    You've mentioned this several times. Are you going on general opinion in the Labour party that you know of, or just a hunch from a distance?
This discussion has been closed.