Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » If Boris Johnson ignores the no deal law then 50/1 on him bein

Comments

• Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633

TGOHF said:
    As I said this morning, Corbyn has fucked this up.
    A few twists and turns yet.

Or the SNP put it all to bed tonight by voting for a GE. Perhaps they are McFrit too.
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483
    It’s really sad for our democracy that a large part of the electorate believe the people sacked last night were the ones blocking brexit. The mail or the express won’t tell them that they actually, on the whole voted for the deal, the mail will label them traitors whilst the real Tory traitors occupy the front bench. It’s sad that doing something is better than doing the right thing and that a once proud party is willing to put its own interests before that of the country. David Gauke one vote against his government is expelled JRM countless votes against lounges on the front bench.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:
    No bill and no election and no time to force a bill afterwards?

It would take a heart of stone . . .
  • Options
    YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382

TGOHF said:
    How does that help Johnson get an election ?
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095
    DanSmith said:

DanSmith said:

How likely is it the filibuster is going to work?
    Very.....
    When's the latest Corbyn can bring a motion of no confidence?
    Presumably tomorrow - doesn't it take priority over all other business?

But Boris won't budge.....
  • Options
    midwinter said:

kinabalu said:

If I could offer a suggestion to those who are currently utterly giddy with every rumour and tweet relating to the goings on in parliament.

Stand back and have a look at the bigger picture.

Perhaps even chat with normal people who have rounded lives and don't sit obsessing about politics.

I think you might find that the wider perception is more like:

1. Johnson is trying to get Brexit through

2. Parliament are stopping him implementing the referendum result

For the vast majority of normal people it goes no deeper than that.

Which is why the swivel-eyed headbangers on here are in all likelihood going to get an enormous shock the morning after the GE.

This is precisely what Johnson is relying on.

That the average person is deeply average.

And like you I expect him to be proved correct.

But one lives in hope. One has to. What is the alternative?
    I wouldn't recommend using that as a campaigning slogan..

Regardless of the rights, wrongs and potential impact of Brexit the wider perception does appear to be precisely what is happening.
    Bozo knows that the average Brexiteer has been gasligjted into a position where they appear to be as thick as fuck. My MP has posted a long letter from the NE Chambers of Commerce setting out in detail their concerns about No Deal, to be met with "what do they know" and "they're biased" responses. Apparently keyboard warriors know more about everything, and that is who Boris wants. His problem is that the same voters are all massive Farage fans...
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,754

Gabs2 said:

eek said:

Scott_P said:
    So how does agrifood resolve all the other markets, taxes and laws...
    I understand there are three areas at stake:

- People
    - Customs
    - Live animals

People seems to be dealt with by CTA/Schengen opt out for Ireland. Customs can be done by making it a criminal act in each side's domestic law. Live animals os a thorny one but looks like Boris is playing for DUP to back down.
    Sorry, but how does making cross-border trade without paying tariffs a criminal act protect the Good Friday Agreement?
    you know little of beef farming
    Relevance?
    if you understood it you wouldnt be asking the question
    Why do you waste your time here? You have so much expertise in argiculture and manufacturing. The govt needs you.

Would it help if we obtained a large poster of a mustachioed Boris pointing at you and a "You govt needs you" slogan?

:D:D:D
    well one half of my family are all Irish beef farmers ( near Aughnacloy ) so when William tells me he undestands how things work on the border how can I resist ?

I love to spread joy and wisdom wherever I go :-)
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,592

Just had a very unpleasant experience. Was innocently listening to the calming tones of Sarah Montague at lunchtime, when I heard a repulsive blast from the past. That ginormous turd Michael Forsyth, who the voters of Stirling soundly dismissed in 1997, was on my bloody radio, splurging his usual lies, hatred and bile.

This is why the House of Lords has to go. Reptiles like Forsyth suck at the taxpayers’ teets for decades after losing elections. The vile serpent had the audacity to present himself as a champion of democracy.

A bit strong Stuart. I don't know Lord F but the feedback I've received is that he is a very courteous and extremely bright guy. Came from a generation of Tories influenced by the Manchester school of economists at St Andrews in the 70s. An interesting fellow and not to be dismissed in these kind of terms, however much you may disagree with him. He is also, unassailably, an authentic working-class Scot.
    Words fail me.

A bit strong eh?

Clear that you were not in Scotland in the 80s and 90s.

Forsyth was utterly despised, throughout the nation. He managed to unite the (then dominant) Scottish Labour Party, Scottish Liberals, the SNP, half the Scottish Tory party, and the unaligned, against him. He was reviled more than Maggie. Why? Well, Maggie was English. She had an excuse. Forsyth didn’t.

Michael Forsyth is why devolution happened. He was the vital catalyst. Never again would Scots be mis-ruled as they had been under Forsyth.

And the wee bastard hasn’t changed one iota in 22 years.
    There, that's a bit more measured. And he did bring back the Stone of Destiny.
    Fair doos. In a flippin Land Rover!! 😳

Shame he repatriated it to the wrong bloody burgh. Twat.
    Actually a very visibly British Army base, flying the Union Flag, as it was then, and arguably in but not of Edinburgh for political purposes. The optics were interesting at the time, but the argument was that it should go with the Crown regalia of Scotland. There were debates about putting it elsewhere at the time, including Scone. I see Perth is now putting in a bid: best of luck to them!
  • Options

Couldn't disagree more. Plenty of countries make referendums a key part of their legislation and do it very well. And your two examples of failure are spurious.

As far as Brexit is concerned I would suggest many of those MPs now obstructing or trying to reverse Brexit would never have got elected in 2015 had they been honest and said they would try to reverse the referendum.

The problem is not referendums it is the MPs.

In the case of Brexit, (most) MPs are obviously to a very large extent to blame for this mess - if, as seems pretty clear, the majority of them thought leaving the EU a disaster not to be contemplated, then they should never have voted to hold the referendum in the first place - but it doesn't solve the central problem of trying to treat our representatives as delegates.

By voting contrary to what MPs were willing to stomach in a referendum, and then compounding the situation by voting in another contrarian Parliament, voters have created circumstances - and this isn't deliberate and isn't their fault, but it is what has come about nonetheless - in which continual corrosive damage to democracy is bound to result. We end up with a confused, dithering and impotent Parliament which contains a majority of members that wish either to comply with the instruction given in the referendum half-heartedly or not at all, and cannot agree on any resolution at all as a result. Meanwhile, a large chunk of the Leave electorate now feels insulted and robbed. It's madness.

In Scotland the situation is somewhat different. Voters have rejected independence in a plebiscite, but keep returning secessionist Parliaments - there is sufficient support for one thing but not quite enough for the other. The risk is that, therefore, both Scotland and the rest of the UK become stuck in a rut: as long as this stalemate exists, the Scottish Government will keep trying to engineer independence referendums and the rest of the UK will be under constant threat of dissolution, with no idea as to if or when it might happen. It's not exactly ideal...
    But if you outlaw referendums the SNP would have a legitimate case fir simply declaring independence as soon as they were in power. Against the wishes of the majority.

What should happen is that referendums should be binding. MPs should not be able to reject the result.
    Then they need to be specific or supported by the current govt, preferably both.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Just had a very unpleasant experience. Was innocently listening to the calming tones of Sarah Montague at lunchtime, when I heard a repulsive blast from the past. That ginormous turd Michael Forsyth, who the voters of Stirling soundly dismissed in 1997, was on my bloody radio, splurging his usual lies, hatred and bile.

This is why the House of Lords has to go. Reptiles like Forsyth suck at the taxpayers’ teets for decades after losing elections. The vile serpent had the audacity to present himself as a champion of democracy.

A bit strong Stuart. I don't know Lord F but the feedback I've received is that he is a very courteous and extremely bright guy. Came from a generation of Tories influenced by the Manchester school of economists at St Andrews in the 70s. An interesting fellow and not to be dismissed in these kind of terms, however much you may disagree with him. He is also, unassailably, an authentic working-class Scot.
    Words fail me.

A bit strong eh?

Forsyth was utterly despised, throughout the nation. He managed to unite the (then dominant) Scottish Labour Party, Scottish Liberals, the SNP, half the Scottish Tory party, and the unaligned, against him. He was reviled more than Maggie. Why? Well, Maggie was English. She had an excuse. Forsyth didn’t.

Michael Forsyth is why devolution happened. He was the vital catalyst. Never again would Scots be mis-ruled as they had been under Forsyth.

Oddly enough it was that very episode which made me suddenly realise how Scotland and Britain were diverging in their attitudes to national symbols of this kind. I was struck how little account was being taken by the wider populace, and it wasn't just because of the identity of the particular satrap making this generous gift to the Scots of what was their own to begin with. Yet it didn't stop the Scots from voting for devolution a few years later.

I have a memory of watching the film of the procession up the High Street, mostly in silence by a very thin crowd, and Mr Forsyth passing in solitary splendour, bekilted.
    Wee Gobshite Forsyth in a kilt.

Folk seeking to explain Scottish devolution to some future generation could hardly wish for a better introductory image. So much absurd symbolism from a party that then liked to think of itself as ultra-modern and trend-setting.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,097

Gabs2 said:

eek said:

Scott_P said:
    So how does agrifood resolve all the other markets, taxes and laws...
    I understand there are three areas at stake:

- People
    - Customs
    - Live animals

People seems to be dealt with by CTA/Schengen opt out for Ireland. Customs can be done by making it a criminal act in each side's domestic law. Live animals os a thorny one but looks like Boris is playing for DUP to back down.
    Sorry, but how does making cross-border trade without paying tariffs a criminal act protect the Good Friday Agreement?
    you know little of beef farming
    Relevance?
    if you understood it you wouldnt be asking the question
    Why do you waste your time here? You have so much expertise in argiculture and manufacturing. The govt needs you.

Would it help if we obtained a large poster of a mustachioed Boris pointing at you and a "You govt needs you" slogan?

:D:D:D
    The same is true of several other people here. They could hardly do worse than the current cabinet. (But maybe they're already in the current cabinet!)
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124

felix said:

AndyJS said:

How will Remainers react if there is an election and Boris wins a comfortable majority?

How will it be any different from what we are going through now?

We know it is a mistake and the Govt seem determined to make it. They sure as heck are not listening to Remainers.

If he gets a majority then he gets a majority. I will just note that Remainers, in general, are not the ones threatening violence, intimidation, deportations or civil disorder if we do not get our way...
    You conveniently forget Philip Pullman suggesting that Boris should be hanged the other day. Can't think of anything more extreme. The fact is there are lunatics on both sides and if you don 't realise it you're probably one of them.
    I see you missed the subclause "in general"...
    Not at all. There are many examples of Remainer fanatics - did you not see the guillotines in the crowds last week? What is spectacularly stupid is you trying to infer without a shred of evidence that the leavers have the majority of lunatics - as even if it were true kinda misses the point. It takes only one person as was so amply demonstrated with Jo Cox.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:
    It looks like Corbyn for PM.

In theory, he does not need an election.
  • Options
    CaptainBuzzkillCaptainBuzzkill Posts: 335
    edited September 2019
    nichomar said:

It’s really sad for our democracy that a large part of the electorate believe the people sacked last night were the ones blocking brexit. The mail or the express won’t tell them that they actually, on the whole voted for the deal, the mail will label them traitors whilst the real Tory traitors occupy the front bench. It’s sad that doing something is better than doing the right thing and that a once proud party is willing to put its own interests before that of the country. David Gauke one vote against his government is expelled JRM countless votes against lounges on the front bench.

Wipe the fake tears from your eyes princess.

Last night's vote was crucial in delivering a referendum result voted for by over 17m people.

• Options

AndyJS said:
    What utter crap. Soames voted with the marxists and nationalists against his own party on a matter of confidence. He was told beforehand the consequences of doing so but continued nonetheless. Soames decided how to vote and owns the outturn.
    Yup. 3 rebellions in 3 decades. Shagger does 3 rebellions before breakfast. Obviously Somasey is the traitor and not Johnson.
  • Options
    Chris said:

DanSmith said:

Very.....
    If Labour reject an election then for the first time ever I hope the unelected Lords succeed in blocking the law. The undemocratic charge rather fails when the opposition are literally rejecting an election.
    Of course, "literally rejecting an election" is nothing at all out of the ordinary, or we'd be having one every month!

Suspending parliament and frustrating the will of the Commons by filibustering n the Lords are somewhat rarer.
    All sides are playing fast and lose and it is very sad
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,249

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

And what clueless diehard remainers like you don't realise is that the Tory party is not your party any more.

How can you say that? Maybe he approves of the Tories' current policies and plans.

That surely, makes it his party?
    He is a remainer. As such he very much disapproves of the Tories' current plans.
    I don't understand why you keep up this line against HYUFD. It's so weird
    One of life's many mysteries.
  • Options

MikeL said:

If Lords do talk out the Benn Bill then:

Parliament comes back on Mon 14 Oct. Could Parliament then pass a Bill in time to force PM to get an extension on Sat 19 Oct?

Maybe, maybe not!!!

They would install a new PM to act in the same manner as the bill if it was needed.
    Comes back to are there ~322 MPs willing to give Corbyn confidence. Corbyn will NOT give anyone else confidence.
  • Options
    Yorkcity said:

TGOHF said:
    Doesn’t need one - prorogue until its too late to have one before 31/10.
  • Options

AndyJS said:
    What utter crap. Soames voted with the marxists and nationalists against his own party on a matter of confidence. He was told beforehand the consequences of doing so but continued nonetheless. Soames decided how to vote and owns the outturn.
    Yup. 3 rebellions in 3 decades. Shagger does 3 rebellions before breakfast. Obviously Somasey is the traitor and not Johnson.
    Soames rebelled on a confidence vote. Who else has ever done that without the same fate?
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,077
    @HYUFD when is Boris going to stuff the Lords full of Brexit peers as you assured us he would?
  • Options
    Trolls out in force tonight best not to feed them
  • Options
    JackW said:

As usual TSE is talking rot. The first to break precedent was the speaker acting on behalf of remainers:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/jan/09/john-bercow-decision-endangers-the-office-of-speaker-and-our-democracy

Look plank, there's a distinction between breaking a precedent, and breaking the law.
    he wont be breaking the law until it is signed into law by the Royal assent. Which can be (legitimately) delayed. Two can play at Parliamentary games.

Your language is unhelpful and betrays both a slightly weak mind as well as a weak argument.
    Bills that pass both houses of parliament automatically become law on prorogation.
    without royal assent? is that correct? Happy to be corrected if so.
  • Options

MikeL said:

Parliament comes back on Mon 14 Oct. Could Parliament then pass a Bill in time to force PM to get an extension on Sat 19 Oct?

Maybe, maybe not!!!

They would install a new PM to act in the same manner as the bill if it was needed.
    Comes back to are there ~322 MPs willing to give Corbyn confidence. Corbyn will NOT give anyone else confidence.
    It is incredibly naive to think that the rebel tories were willing to sacrifice a lifetimes career in the tory party spanning decades to stop no deal, then say oh no they have filibustered in the unelected Lords, never mind, eh, let the govt win.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787

JackW said:

AndyJS said:

How will Remainers react if there is an election and Boris wins a comfortable majority?

This is the most likely scenario. We will all have to suck it up and then watch what happens as Johnson delivers his "easily manageable" No Deal Brexit.

Leavers are going to be tearing down the doors at the polling stations after Brexit is delayed again.There is a lot of anger out there now.
    Thank goodness that this afternoon the Chancellor provided additional funding for more jail places for those committing criminal damage at polling stations.

Huzzah for sensible policies for the modern age.
    I didnt mean literally you dolt
    In these times how could we and "dolts" worldwide possibly tell ?
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905

Question- now that the Father of the House is an Independent, would that make him more palatable as an interim PM before an election where he isn't standing and has no party?

Probably not. No alternative to Corbyn can be installed without the support of Corbyn, and why would Corbyn sideline himself like that?

Once the principle is established that the Labour leader can be set aside from leadership of a Government in which Labour participates (even as by far the largest constituent,) then what happens if Labour is short of a majority after the next election, but can get over the finishing line with SNP and Lib Dem votes - especially if the latter are necessary. The confidence and supply partners could demand a more palatable alternative to Corbyn be installed as PM, and on what basis could Labour then be seen to refuse?
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981

Words fail me.

A bit strong eh?

And it's the wrong bloody stone.
  • Options
    DanSmithDanSmith Posts: 1,215

TGOHF said:

I feel like we're missing something here because this is huge, everything comes down to the Lords or its no deal. Very few journalists seem to be focusing on this.
  • Options
    felix said:

felix said:

AndyJS said:

We know it is a mistake and the Govt seem determined to make it. They sure as heck are not listening to Remainers.

If he gets a majority then he gets a majority. I will just note that Remainers, in general, are not the ones threatening violence, intimidation, deportations or civil disorder if we do not get our way...
    You conveniently forget Philip Pullman suggesting that Boris should be hanged the other day. Can't think of anything more extreme. The fact is there are lunatics on both sides and if you don 't realise it you're probably one of them.
    Not at all. There are many examples of Remainer fanatics - did you not see the guillotines in the crowds last week? What is spectacularly stupid is you trying to infer without a shred of evidence that the leavers have the majority of lunatics - as even if it were true kinda misses the point. It takes only one person as was so amply demonstrated with Jo Cox.
    Jo Cox's killer was not exactly dragged from the Dock spouting "Remain! EU forever!"
  • Options
    nichomar said:

The deal is not Brexit.

Even with the deal rejected we would have left in March had the Commons not voted to extend, as far as I can tell all these MPs voted to extend then. They're the reason we didn't leave in March.
  • Options
    Yorkcity said:

TGOHF said:
    How does it help block No Deal if the Benn Bill falls?

Corbyn could have done a deal today for an election. We could have had a Deal-No Deal election. I can only imagine the internal Labour polling is terrifying on this....
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

Words fail me.

A bit strong eh?

Well, that too!
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    Chris said:

AndyJS said:

Keep buying the baked beans.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HE9nLWFZ6ac
  • Options

DanSmith said:

Very.....
    I'm surprised. Couldn't the Remainer majority simply vote for each person advancing a wrecking amendment not to be heard, and then move immediately to a vote? Or is it simply the case that there are so many amendments to be considered that the entire process couldn't possibly be completed within the available time?
    *only* 87, if you're sitting through the night could surely blast through it that way but what do i know.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Words fail me.

A bit strong eh?

Actually a very visibly British Army base, flying the Union Flag, as it was then, and arguably in but not of Edinburgh for political purposes. The optics were interesting at the time, but the argument was that it should go with the Crown regalia of Scotland. There were debates about putting it elsewhere at the time, including Scone. I see Perth is now putting in a bid: best of luck to them!
    Perth? Maybe.

Scone viper? No.
  • Options

felix said:

felix said:

AndyJS said:

Jo Cox's killer was not exactly dragged from the Dock spouting "Remain! EU forever!"
    Would you have posted this sober ?
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,638

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

And what clueless diehard remainers like you don't realise is that the Tory party is not your party any more.

How can you say that? Maybe he approves of the Tories' current policies and plans.

That surely, makes it his party?
    He is a remainer. As such he very much disapproves of the Tories' current plans.
    I don't understand why you keep up this line against HYUFD. It's so weird
    I would guess the intent is to highlight that HYUFD frequently makes assertions implying that all people who voted leave in 2016 are behind any actions to secure leave, by any means necessary and no matter the cost, implying that none could have changed their mind, when as his own position shows people are certainly able to.
  • Options
    DanSmith said:

TGOHF said:

I feel like we're missing something here because this is huge, everything comes down to the Lords or its no deal. Very few journalists seem to be focusing on this.
    There's an assumption the Lords will always blink before the Commons. I see no reason they need to now. Especially with the Commons rejecting an election.

Heart of stone ...
  • Options

@HYUFD when is Boris going to stuff the Lords full of Brexit peers as you assured us he would?

Patience, padawan, patience....
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

I doubt it will work but if it did the p*ss boiling on here would be immense.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124

felix said:

felix said:

AndyJS said:

Are you really too thick to understand the point being made? The implications of what you are saying are terrifying.
  • Options
    nichomar said:

Yes, some of the ex-Tory remainers voted for the deal but did so in each case knowing it would be defeated. Would they have voted for it had it been on a knife edge and in the knowledge that their vote might have secured our exit? I seriously doubt that some of them would given that they seem hell bent on delaying Brexit even if that makes a Corbyn government more likely.
  • Options
    YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382
    TGOHF said:

Yorkcity said:

TGOHF said:
    Good point.
    Surely from Johnson point of view, that is the way to go.
    Leave without an election , 2 and half years, to sort things out.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787

JackW said:

As usual TSE is talking rot. The first to break precedent was the speaker acting on behalf of remainers:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/jan/09/john-bercow-decision-endangers-the-office-of-speaker-and-our-democracy

Look plank, there's a distinction between breaking a precedent, and breaking the law.
    he wont be breaking the law until it is signed into law by the Royal assent. Which can be (legitimately) delayed. Two can play at Parliamentary games.

Your language is unhelpful and betrays both a slightly weak mind as well as a weak argument.
    Bills that pass both houses of parliament automatically become law on prorogation.
    You are duly corrected :smile:

From the Institute of Government :

"Any bills that have completed all their parliamentary stages at the point Parliament is prorogued, but have not yet been given Royal Assent (needed for a bill to become an Act of Parliament), receive Royal Assent as part of the prorogation ceremony. During the ceremony, the Clerk of the Crown announces each bill to receive Royal Assent. As each bill is announced, the Clerk of the Parliament then declares "Le Reyne le veult" (the Queen wishes it in Norman French), signifying Assent has been given."
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    I am enjoying the reversal of positions in the Lords, now that amendments to frustrate a bill passed by the Commons is bad, and considering curtailing their time to debate is good.
  • Options

MikeL said:

Maybe, maybe not!!!

It is incredibly naive to think that the rebel tories were willing to sacrifice a lifetimes career in the tory party spanning decades to stop no deal, then say oh no they have filibustered in the unelected Lords, never mind, eh, let the govt win.
    Argument might possibly work with end-of-career MPs, although it is worth noting that I can recall vehement statements from at least two of them (Letwin and Spreadsheet Phil) about not facilitating a Corbyn-led Government. But the Lib Dems also have real issues with brand contamination, and there are also the surviving TIGs, several other ex-Labour independents, and Sylvia Hermon to consider - all of whom are very, very anti-Corbyn indeed.

One suspects that a compromise would eventually be reached, but it is not beyond the bounds of possibility that no majority could be assembled for Corbyn, and that Corbyn himself would decline to support an alternative to himself, because of the damage that would do to his own position. In that case, Boris Johnson would remain as caretaker until the clock ran down to zero.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961
    JackW said:

JackW said:

You are duly corrected :smile:

From the Institute of Government :

"Any bills that have completed all their parliamentary stages at the point Parliament is prorogued, but have not yet been given Royal Assent (needed for a bill to become an Act of Parliament), receive Royal Assent as part of the prorogation ceremony. During the ceremony, the Clerk of the Crown announces each bill to receive Royal Assent. As each bill is announced, the Clerk of the Parliament then declares "Le Reyne le veult" (the Queen wishes it in Norman French), signifying Assent has been given."
    That isn't really automatic, as there has to be some action to confirm assent. The Clerk could say something different, for example.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,943

TGOHF said:

It won't be, the LDs and Tory rebels will not vote for Corbyn as PM, at most it will be Ken Clarke but Corbyn likely votes against him too
  • Options
    And a genuine question - do we actually know what Boris has asked of the EU, other than simply 'no backstop'? I never thought the negotiation was serious, but sometimes even when not being serious genuine detail is worked on. Any detail?
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,113

AndyJS said:
    Nobody forced Soames to defy a three line whip on an issue of confidence.

Still not heard one person objecting to this confirm they'd have objected to seeing Cash or Redwood be thrown out if they'd voted against Maastricht on a confidence matter.
    This “confidence” point is bollocks. Before 2011 losing a confidence vote meant that the government either (I) resigned or (II) called an election. If it were a confidence matter, last night’s vote should have one of those consequences and it didn’t, and was never going to. Everyone knows that Boris was not going to resign (and didn’t) and the ability to trigger an election has been taken out of the PM’s hands. Given losing last night has had no direct effect on the continuance of his ministry it was not a real confidence vote. In that context removing the whip was a petty and vengeful move.
  • Options

AndyJS said:
    It was a confidence vote. Your post is just irrelevant whataboutery.
  • Options

nichomar said:

The deal is not Brexit.

Even with the deal rejected we would have left in March had the Commons not voted to extend, as far as I can tell all these MPs voted to extend then. They're the reason we didn't leave in March.
    It’s not brexit in your mind but it was to the vast majority who wanted to get it over with. I’m afraid none of us can represent what people want because we don’t have a clue but I bet if I went down the pub tonight and asked if anyone was worried about the ECJ they would look at me as if I was bonkers. The people are being conned by right wing foreign owned media with their own agenda.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,907
    edited September 2019

HYUFD said:

I doubt it will work but if it did the p*ss boiling on here would be immense.
    God, we have entered the frothers’ “it probably won’t happen but it would be really funny if it did” phase.

PB at its absolute worst.
  • Options

nichomar said:

The deal is not Brexit.
    According to you and 10% of the Conservative Parliamentary Party. Not the Prime Minister, nor the other 90%.

But admittedly a substantially larger part of the wider party.
  • Options
    Chris said:

DanSmith said:

Very.....
    If Labour reject an election then for the first time ever I hope the unelected Lords succeed in blocking the law. The undemocratic charge rather fails when the opposition are literally rejecting an election.
    Of course, "literally rejecting an election" is nothing at all out of the ordinary, or we'd be having one every month!

Suspending parliament and frustrating the will of the Commons by filibustering n the Lords are somewhat rarer.
    Q. Which of the following actions do you think the general public will regard as more likely to meet the definition of a "coup":

(a) Extending the normal process for ending a parliamentary session by a mere 4 sitting days longer than is typical

(b) The Speaker repeatedly throwing the Commons parliamentary rulebook out of the window in order to enable what should be illigitimate parliamentary votes all aimed at blocking Brexit

(c) Blocking a general election that would allow the general public to have a say in the whole process

A. Clearly not (a). As for (b), the public should be as concerned with (b) as (c), but as with (a) the subtleties of parliamentary procedure do not register with the vast majority. By contrast, with (c) everyone understands the significance of blocking a general election that would deny the yearning of many or most to give their elected representatives a good kicking. So (c) it is, by a country mile.

• Options
    HYUFD said:

It won't be, the LDs and Tory rebels will not vote for Corbyn as PM, at most it will be Ken Clarke but Corbyn likely votes against him too

It will be interesting to see if the 'principles' of Labour remainers, who consider Brexit an existential threat to the countries economic well-being, extend to putting a Tory in as temporary PM.

I suspect Brexit will suddenly become less important than partisan politics.
  • Options
    Yorkcity said:

TGOHF said:

Yorkcity said:

TGOHF said:
    Good point.
    Surely from Johnson point of view, that is the way to go.
    Leave without an election , 2 and half years, to sort things out.
    Though if that is the plan, throwing away any hope of a majority, and creating a load of opponents who know where the bodies are buried, was probably sub-optimal.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

I am enjoying the reversal of positions in the Lords, now that amendments to frustrate a bill passed by the Commons is bad, and considering curtailing their time to debate is good.

Indeed. Absolutely pathetic by the usual suspects.
  • Options

MikeL said:

Maybe, maybe not!!!

Argument might possibly work with end-of-career MPs, although it is worth noting that I can recall vehement statements from at least two of them (Letwin and Spreadsheet Phil) about not facilitating a Corbyn-led Government. But the Lib Dems also have real issues with brand contamination, and there are also the surviving TIGs, several other ex-Labour independents, and Sylvia Hermon to consider - all of whom are very, very anti-Corbyn indeed.

One suspects that a compromise would eventually be reached, but it is not beyond the bounds of possibility that no majority could be assembled for Corbyn, and that Corbyn himself would decline to support an alternative to himself, because of the damage that would do to his own position. In that case, Boris Johnson would remain as caretaker until the clock ran down to zero.
    It may not be against the bounds of possibility but the combined possibilities of we get to mid October with nothing to block no deal, no other path available to parliament to do so, no progress with the EU, and then the rebel alliance failing to agree on a temporary PM are extremely low.

How can the LDs run on a rejoin mandate when they were too stubborn to stop no deal? It would be farcical.

None of them like Corbyn. But it becomes what do you prefer Corbyn constrained by an alliance or no deal, and the answer is Corbyn constrained.

It really should be obvious. For months tory leavers have been posting how perhaps one or two tories might vote against the PM but not many. I said 15-30 would if push came to shove. It will be the same with any step to stop no deal, it is their raison d'etre.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,945

DanSmith said:

TGOHF said:

There's an assumption the Lords will always blink before the Commons. I see no reason they need to now. Especially with the Commons rejecting an election.

Heart of stone ...
    Ironic to have seized control from the undemocratic EU, to have it decided in the Lords. The whole thing is a shambles.
  • Options
    Regardless of past rules on confidence votes, and whether it was a good idea or reasonable to make yesterday's vote a confidence vote, fact is that it was one and everyone who still opposed it went in knowing what would happen if they did. It seems to me to diminish their stand to quibble about the rightness or wrongness of it being a confidence vote in the first place. It was, they stood up and were heroes/traitors, either way good for them.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

Downloading dirty videos of your fave again.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    A Conservative lord aged about 90 is rambling on in the House of Lords at the moment, in case anyone's interested.

https://parliamentlive.tv/Event/Index/3ee21ab2-8e9e-4ea5-aa0c-ee785b88212c
  • Options
    kle4 said:

To be absolutely fair, the anti-No Dealers would be right to point out that the unelected Lords attempting to veto the elected Commons in the midst of an emergency might be regarded as objectionable. But one might also reasonably contend that an element of hypocrisy is involved.

Of course, if, in retrospect, their Lordships are seen to have played a significant role in facilitating Brexit, then one would expect the replacement or abolition of the Upper House to suddenly become an urgent priority in subsequent Labour and Lib Dem election manifestos...
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

DanSmith said:

TGOHF said:

Heart of stone ...
    Ironic to have seized control from the undemocratic EU, to have it decided in the Lords. The whole thing is a shambles.
    It is a shambles, we need a GE asap to resolve it (hopefully).
  • Options
    Latest YouGov

46% support a public vote on Brexit
    41% oppose
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Each day in Westminster is more surreal than the previous one.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,692

Words fail me.

A bit strong eh?

Personally, I would have left the Stone of Destiny, if indeed it is the real stone, in Westminster Abbey. It has a historical context in the 13th C chair that was built for it. We can be self confident enough of our nationhood to accept the facts of history as they happened.

Still it was interesting that a highly unpopular Tory colonial administrator Secretary of State for Scotland should alight on the idea of shipping a lump of granite to Scotland from England as a way of shoring up his position.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,922
    Question for PBers

If you're a Leaver, but you generally liked Mrs May's deal, and you want to leave the EU in an orderly fashion, who do you vote for?
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Question for PBers

If you're a Leaver, but you generally liked Mrs May's deal, and you want to leave the EU in an orderly fashion, who do you vote for?

Labour ;)
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    My feeling here is that many voters are seething about the behaviour of MPs. Perhaps I live in an echo chamber up here, and I admit I have no time for them, but the mood is definitely uglier than I've experienced before.

I've not been to Boston for nearly a month, but I would tactfully suggest they don't go near the place.

London is probably different, so it isn't helping the North/South divide.

• Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623
    edited September 2019
    You have to say channels like Sky News have been running under the banner "Brexit Crisis" for so long now that you feel they need to "promote" it to something even more severe.
  • Options

Latest YouGov

46% support a public vote on Brexit
    41% oppose

That’s the wrong polling company the voodoo poll in the subiton gazette was 80% opposed
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,286
    AndyJS said:

A Conservative lord aged about 90 is rambling on in the House of Lords at the moment, in case anyone's interested.

Not certain but think he just referred to Keith Starmer.
  • Options
    CD13 said:

My feeling here is that many voters are seething about the behaviour of MPs. Perhaps I live in an echo chamber up here, and I admit I have no time for them, but the mood is definitely uglier than I've experienced before.

I've not been to Boston for nearly a month, but I would tactfully suggest they don't go near the place.

London is probably different, so it isn't helping the North/South divide.

Well at my work, a manufacturing company in County Durham, the mood is rather anti Boris as far as I can tell.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549
    rcs1000 said:

Question for PBers

I'm currently leaning towards a write-in vote for a military coup.
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

AndyJS said:
    Nobody forced Soames to defy a three line whip on an issue of confidence.

Still not heard one person objecting to this confirm they'd have objected to seeing Cash or Redwood be thrown out if they'd voted against Maastricht on a confidence matter.
    This “confidence” point is bollocks. Before 2011 losing a confidence vote meant that the government either (I) resigned or (II) called an election. If it were a confidence matter, last night’s vote should have one of those consequences and it didn’t, and was never going to. Everyone knows that Boris was not going to resign (and didn’t) and the ability to trigger an election has been taken out of the PM’s hands. Given losing last night has had no direct effect on the continuance of his ministry it was not a real confidence vote. In that context removing the whip was a petty and vengeful move.
    It did have the consequence. The government has (ii) called for an election.

FTPA takes priority over previous precedence, the government can't just call an election they need to put a motion down which they have put down. If the Commons backs the motion there will be an election, if the Commons doesn't then that is the will of the Commons.
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

Words fail me.

A bit strong eh?

Of course it’s the wrong bloody stone. ;)

The English invaders managed to burn the national archives, but they went home with a blatant fake.

Just goes to show: if you lie long enough, hard enough, lies become the new truth.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    rcs1000 said:

Question for PBers

Labour is your best bet.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,286
    AndyJS said:

He's basically just going through everything he's ever thought about the EU!
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

lol he's still going, this is getting filibustered isn't it? Well done everyone trying to be too smart and go for a November election.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,754

Ishmael_Z said:

Words fail me.

A bit strong eh?

Of course it’s the wrong bloody stone. ;)

The English invaders managed to burn the national archives, but they went home with a blatant fake.

Just goes to show: if you lie long enough, hard enough, lies become the new truth.
    SNP motto
  • Options

MikeL said:

Maybe, maybe not!!!

I wonder if there's anything Johnson could do to make it easier for Tory MPs to act against a lifetime of political practise and vote to support a Labour PM?

Oh...
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,903
    TGOHF said:
    Luckily Johnson has offered them a route out via General Election.
  • Options
    FF43 said:

Words fail me.

A bit strong eh?

Personally, I would have left the Stone of Destiny, if indeed it is the real stone, in Westminster Abbey. It has a historical context in the 13th C chair that was built for it. We can be self confident enough of our nationhood to accept the facts of history as they happened.

Still it was interesting that a highly unpopular Tory colonial administrator Secretary of State for Scotland should alight on the idea of shipping a lump of granite to Scotland from England as a way of shoring up his position.
    Actually, sandstone from the Scone area IIRC - so probably a mediaeval manhole cover from Scone Abbey foisted on Edward Longshanks. But there are worse national symbols than a reminder to sort out the drains: Bazalgette would have approved.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Question for PBers

Rory Stewart.
  • Options
    The_TaxmanThe_Taxman Posts: 2,979
    HYUFD said:

TGOHF said:

I don't see Corbyn as PM as a problem given the parliamentary numbers. He could not do anything drastic and would be ousted if he did. Anything has got to be better than No Deal. The Tories have indicated today an increase in public spending, larger than anything in 17 years IIRC...
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,901
    rcs1000 said:

Question for PBers

Tricky one!
  • Options
    felix said:

felix said:

felix said:

AndyJS said:

Are you really too thick to understand the point being made? The implications of what you are saying are terrifying.
    I am obviously too thick to understand the way you express it. So why not explain it more clearly?
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Question for PBers

Boris, presumably. Unless he caves to the BXP in exchange for a pact he is at least saying he wants a deal to leave in orderly fashion. He's the only one who is saying he wants that (Yes yes, Corbyn, but Labour as a vast majority will seek Remain).

Now, will people still do so if they don't believe he is sincere in saying that? In that case, it doesn't matter if they want to leave in orderly fashion, they have to decide if they prefer no deal or Corbyn.
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    Mr 1000

"If you're a Leaver, but you generally liked Mrs May's deal, and you want to leave the EU in an orderly fashion, who do you vote for?"

No one. They're all scum. They lied, and even worse, they're still lying and hardly bothering to pretend any more. The unvarnished truth is they believe they are above the hoi polio and don't need to bother with the opinion of underlings.

The LDs are at least honest hypocrites,
  • Options

AndyJS said:
    It was a confidence vote. Your post is just irrelevant whataboutery.
    I shall take that under advisement based on your expertise on irrelevance and whataboutery
  • Options
    nichomar said:

Nonchalance comes before a fall.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Question for PBers

Who is your current MP, how have they voted are key to the decision. Will they stand up for themself or follow the herd.

Beyond that, no party is offering what you want on Brexit, so deciding on other issues or you could try to game a hung parliament and postpone the decision until someone does come back and offer an orderly Brexit.
  • Options
    alex.alex. Posts: 4,658
    If last night’s vote was a confidence vote, why hasn’t Johnson resigned?
  • Options
    Looks like the filibuster is going to be successful. So now what?
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,903
    edited September 2019

TGOHF said:

Yes, Corbyn can be put into bat. This is another option for the remain alliance.

Let me be clear, I will probably be voting Lib Dem because we'll be better off in the EU. But I can't help but cheer for Boris the baddies right now. Does that make me a terrible person :D ?
This discussion has been closed.