Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Tom Watson plans a new LAB MPs grouping and there’s little Mil

Comments

• Options

https://twitter.com/mattzarb/status/1100089073367240704

But, but, but... hard left! communist! marxist!

This can't be right, we were told so reliably by so many people on the right exactly what Corbyn wanted, many on the left disagreed but there was an understanding that only those on the right really know what the left will do...

I'm still convinced Starmer tricked him.

I wouldn’t be surprised if this is either a tactical retreat (ie open the pressure valve) by JC, or a response to a straight threat by a high-ranking remainer along the lines of “pivot or see a mass walkout to TIG on Thursday including half a dozen potential party leaders”.

Although I wouldn’t put it past JC to sit there with his fingers in his ears going lalalalalala, it seems to me his position has been weakened significantly in the past week.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,687

Just trying to work out how many Tories you need to pass Deal+PV.

Start with the last confidence vote for the govt vs opposition baseline: 325 to 306, maj 19 so you have to swing 10.

25 Lab rebels go to the dark side (see upthread), 3 Tories go TIG, now it's 32. Add a few misc small party votes and maybe 35?

Seems like it might be a doable number if the alternatives are the No Deal Kaiju and endless extensions, but would their consituency associations string them up from a lamppost?

They could claim they were voting for May's Deal - it is after all the only way it's going to get through.
    Right and like I say if you've passed the anti-kaiju motion first, they can say they're voting to stop dicking around and actually get brexit done.
    And even if their constituency associations did turn nasty, they could always jump on the TIG wagon.
  • Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 3,956

kyf_100 said:

kle4 said:

Corbyn's best outcome was the deal passed thanks to Labour rebels who he could disavow. He cannot have that, so I guess not being able to get a referendum thanks to Labour rebels would be the next best thing.
    ERG could fold now, and accept there's a real risk of not leaving if they don't sign May's deal (and then revisit it all later, as Gove keeps saying).

This is precisely what Jezza wants. Tory Brexit with none of his fingerprints anywhere near it.
    Since Corbyn is only accepting a 2nd referendum for May's deal, but not for "Labour Brexit", the Tories could really wind the Remainers up by passing "Labour Brexit".
    Not sure it can be classed as winding up if it sees remaining in the customs union.
    I think it would wind up a lot of the People's Vote mob if the second referendum turned out to be May's deal vs No deal...
    It would, but literally nobody is arguing for that except Brexity trolls on the interwebs.
    I jest, but it's unironically the fairest form of "people's" vote. The people voted, indicating a narrow desire to leave. The second referendum should therefore be about how people want to leave.

Speaking as a democrat, I'd actually be pretty happy with a "No deal" vs "May's deal" vs "Labour deal / BINO". However, either a "no deal vs remain" or "may's deal vs remain" only both look like massive stitch ups to me, because you will get enough people either saying "no deal is too terrifying, let's remain, even though I would have preferred to leave with May's deal" as well as your fair share of "May's deal is so bad we might as well remain, no deal would be better (as a few on here espouse).

In short, if there is going to be a second referendum, the real battle will be on what exactly ends up on the ballot paper. Because that will determine who wins the vote.
  • Options
  • Options
    dotsdots Posts: 615

dots said:

dots said:

Jonathan said:

Well, well, well. What a turn up.

Just lost vote leaving areas. Is it worth it
    Keep saying it Big G if it makes you feel better. But you are wrong.

You are wrong to take Labour leave votes for granted as not going to Labour in a general election.

You may not even be right that it was Labour votes that made key difference in those areas called leave constituency’s. 2017 GE hints at such. The reason is, in 2016, up and down the country, polling stations didn't get all the usual faces, but quite a lot of faces who don't go in there very often, if at all. The rationale was voting leave because remain belonged to the political establishment these voters think never listens to them and has hollowed out their communities with globalisation and austerity. Not a rationale that suggests they rush into arms of long standing conservative government.

That’s my reasoning why your statement is wrong. Where’s your reasoning supporting your statement.
    I would refer you to tonight comments by labour mps in leave seats with 25 already saying they will vote against
    You taking the 25 for granted? That’s the same mistake Mr Big. 😁
    Those that campaigned for remain and found their constituency go leave no longer have to play the game. They have been freed from that game. I predict labour MPs voting against will not only be in single figures, but less than 5.
    No I am not.. I am quoting labour sources shown downthread

And I am only the messenger. Frankly TM deal or remain are fine with me
    Brexit goes tribal now, thats why the 25 get squeezed and whittled down. Talking to, buying, whipping at its most serious. Its obvious the ERG are toast, by the mood music. May openly not reopening the WA not removing the backstop, she is now openly sat down with the EU discussing lengths of A50 delay. Meanwhile the ERG and DUP? Not a peep out of them. They are conflicted, suck up Mays deal or be the Brexit wreckers.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,983
    edited February 2019

I've never eaten at Nando's.

I think you're about 20 years older than their average customer.
    I like Zizzi's, I like The Handmade Burger Company, I love Subway.

I bloody love Yo Sushi!

As a good Muslim boy it is very difficult to find a nice eatery.
    There are Nandos with Halal meat. The bit that worries me (but not the Muslims I know who frequent the Halal Nandos) is why does the one in Boro do Halal meat but the others nearby don't when they are all supplied by the same lorry.
  • Options
    So that's why I'm permanently banned by Delta.

All I'm saying is that we were two consenting adults.

https://twitter.com/BuzzFeedNews/status/1100138649688002560
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

I was in fact quoting Michael Hicks, who said Henry VII was 'a king elected by proportional representation. He was the first choice of very few people, but gained enough transfers from other candidates to become king when they were ruled out.' (He obviously means STV not PR, but I'm not responsible for his misunderstanding of constitutional theory.)

He did a fairly effective job of seizing a firm grasp on the throne after he became king, though.
    Thanks in no small part to these selfsame supporters. Elizabeth obligingly bore him a son nine months after their marriage. Oxford and Northumberland commanded the army that won at Stoke. Surrey (who had supported Richard) restored order in the north after the tax riots of 1489. The southern gentry kept order for him in London through plague and rioting. And Edward of Warwick helpfully became progressively more insane as he aged until he was tricked into doing something treasonous and beheaded in 1499.

Henry's genius was always in persuading people that whatever his faults he was better than the alternatives. At one and the same time it made him a highly effective king and means in the verdict of posterity he has always suffered compared to his energetic and dynamic son and youngest granddaughter, who ruled very much more by their own charisma.
    Hmmm... Reminds me of something>

Theresa's genius was always in persuading people that whatever her faults she was better than the alternatives. At one and the same time it made her a highly effective..." Ah, no the similarity has broken down at that point.
  • Options
    eek said:

I bloody love Yo Sushi!

There are Nandos with Halal meat. The bit that worries me (but not the Muslims I know who frequent the Halal Nandos) is why does the one in Boro do Halal meat but the others nearby don't when they are all supplied by the same lorry.
    Nando's have very good demographic data on which they make the decision. I guess you can get anything delivered in any lorry, some meat suppliers probably even do Halal and not themselves.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,287

ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

I was in fact quoting Michael Hicks, who said Henry VII was 'a king elected by proportional representation. He was the first choice of very few people, but gained enough transfers from other candidates to become king when they were ruled out.' (He obviously means STV not PR, but I'm not responsible for his misunderstanding of constitutional theory.)

He did a fairly effective job of seizing a firm grasp on the throne after he became king, though.
    Thanks in no small part to these selfsame supporters. Elizabeth obligingly bore him a son nine months after their marriage. Oxford and Northumberland commanded the army that won at Stoke. Surrey (who had supported Richard) restored order in the north after the tax riots of 1489. The southern gentry kept order for him in London through plague and rioting. And Edward of Warwick helpfully became progressively more insane as he aged until he was tricked into doing something treasonous and beheaded in 1499.

Henry's genius was always in persuading people that whatever his faults he was better than the alternatives. At one and the same time it made him a highly effective king and means in the verdict of posterity he has always suffered compared to his energetic and dynamic son and youngest granddaughter, who ruled very much more by their own charisma.
    Hmmm... Reminds me of something>

Theresa's genius was always in persuading people that whatever her faults she was better than the alternatives. At one and the same time it made her a highly effective..." Ah, no the similarity has broken down at that point.
    :lol:
  • Options
    dots said:

dots said:

dots said:

Jonathan said:

You are wrong to take Labour leave votes for granted as not going to Labour in a general election.

You may not even be right that it was Labour votes that made key difference in those areas called leave constituency’s. 2017 GE hints at such. The reason is, in 2016, up and down the country, polling stations didn't get all the usual faces, but quite a lot of faces who don't go in there very often, if at all. The rationale was voting leave because remain belonged to the political establishment these voters think never listens to them and has hollowed out their communities with globalisation and austerity. Not a rationale that suggests they rush into arms of long standing conservative government.

That’s my reasoning why your statement is wrong. Where’s your reasoning supporting your statement.
    I would refer you to tonight comments by labour mps in leave seats with 25 already saying they will vote against
    Those that campaigned for remain and found their constituency go leave no longer have to play the game. They have been freed from that game. I predict labour MPs voting against will not only be in single figures, but less than 5.

Brexit goes tribal now, thats why the 25 get squeezed and whittled down. Talking to, buying, whipping at its most serious. Its obvious the ERG are toast, by the mood music. May openly not reopening the WA not removing the backstop, she is now openly sat down with the EU discussing lengths of A50 delay. Meanwhile the ERG and DUP? Not a peep out of them. They are conflicted, suck up Mays deal or be the Brexit wreckers.
    I suggest you have many assumptions there but I am cast caring.

TM deal or remain has been my position for months
  • Options
    Of course remain would stop Corbyn's nonsense in their tracks and his anti semitism and hard left views still remain
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,797

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Corbyn's best outcome was the deal passed thanks to Labour rebels who he could disavow. He cannot have that, so I guess not being able to get a referendum thanks to Labour rebels would be the next best thing.
    ERG could fold now, and accept there's a real risk of not leaving if they don't sign May's deal (and then revisit it all later, as Gove keeps saying).

This is precisely what Jezza wants. Tory Brexit with none of his fingerprints anywhere near it.
    Yes, but we know plenty of ERGers think the deal is worse than Leaving, so the risk of not getting Brexit is not as strong a motivator as it could be.
    We know some postured that it was.

Whether they would actually vote that way when it mattered might be rather different.
    Such has been suggested for month after month after month. They still aren't budging whenever the next big crunch point comes. I hope it is not so, but perhaps they actually mean what they keep saying they mean?
  • Options
    nico67 said:

dots said:

Jonathan said:

Apparently Momentum are being mobilized in those leave areas !
    Yes, mobilised to ensure there is a pv
  • Options

dots said:

dots said:

dots said:

Jonathan said:

You aware Michael Hestletine has gone full grabcocque, raising a toast to St Gammons day?
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    It could go the way of my Avenatti and Ojeda tickles, but £3 at 260.0 for POTUS with a favourable write up in the Bezos post could come up trumps..
  • Options

Start with the last confidence vote for the govt vs opposition baseline: 325 to 306, maj 19 so you have to swing 10.

25 Lab rebels go to the dark side (see upthread), 3 Tories go TIG, now it's 32. Add a few misc small party votes and maybe 35?

Seems like it might be a doable number if the alternatives are the No Deal Kaiju and endless extensions, but would their consituency associations string them up from a lamppost?

They could claim they were voting for May's Deal - it is after all the only way it's going to get through.
    Right and like I say if you've passed the anti-kaiju motion first, they can say they're voting to stop dicking around and actually get brexit done.
    And even if their constituency associations did turn nasty, they could always jump on the TIG wagon.
    Yup, and TIG could offer them places on their European Parliament list.
  • Options
    SunnyJimSunnyJim Posts: 1,106
    Corbyn has just got May off the hook.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,481
    edited February 2019
    Speaking purely from a political betting standpoint 'We need another referendum this year'

2018 was the first year since 2013 without a major electoral/referendum event in the UK, some years we had more than one.
  • Options
    Only Jeremy Corbyn could find a way of splitting the Labour Party even more by following the party's avowed policy.
  • Options
    Looks like there could for once be some smart if cynical politics from Corbyn in tandem with his Leave MPs.

Corbyn can back a vote with a deniable nod and wink to his leavers. Gets to say to Remainers he tried.
    Leave MPs can tell their constituencies they stood up for their constituencies vote.

Corbyn can make out like he's listened to his critics.

Nothing is done about antisemitism. Again.
  • Options

I bloody love Yo Sushi!

Do you do all your fine dining in Meadowhall :wink:

Isn't Rossi's just down the road from you ?

And don't forget Sheffield has a Pound Bakery :smile:
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Only Jeremy Corbyn could find a way of splitting the Labour Party even more by following the party's avowed policy.
    Hardly 'even more'. Not doing it would probably have have led to actual defections, not just rebellions. Barron was one of only 3 Lab MPs who voted for May's deal after all.
  • Options
    dots said:

dots said:

dots said:

dots said:

Jonathan said:

You aware Michael Hestletine has gone full grabcocque, raising a toast to St Gammons day?
    I am not interested in silly comments
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Nigelb said:

As with pineapple pizza, once is often judged more than sufficient.

They do a bucket of roulette wings - some mild, some medium, some hot - but indistinguishable visually. It’s like Brexit - you order it but with do idea what’s coming your way.
  • Options

Looks like there could for once be some smart if cynical politics from Corbyn in tandem with his Leave MPs.

Corbyn can back a vote with a deniable nod and wink to his leavers. Gets to say to Remainers he tried.
    Leave MPs can tell their constituencies they stood up for their constituencies vote.

Plus, if there is any chance of getting close to a 2nd vote proposal passing, May will call a GE.
  • Options

I bloody love Yo Sushi!

Do you do all your fine dining in Meadowhall :wink:

Isn't Rossi's just down the road from you ?

And don't forget Sheffield has a Pound Bakery :smile:
    Meadowhall and the Centretainment.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

It could go the way of my Avenatti and Ojeda tickles, but £3 at 260.0 for POTUS with a favourable write up in the Bezos post could come up trumps..
    Has a Mayor ever being a candidate for either of the two main parties ?

But still it could be a profitable trading bet.

There will be a few 'flavor of the fortnite' over the next year.
  • Options

dots said:

dots said:

Jonathan said:

I've lost the plot - when is this vote going to be held, is it this week?
    No, its the twelfth that May corrects as by the twelfth with her delay is delay logic that everyone believes is second Tuesday in March.

Hope that helps
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,003

A suprisingly small effect IMO:

' House prices in London could dip three per cent after a no deal Brexit, new research has found.

However, if an agreement is reached, property prices are expected to rise 0.5 per cent in the capital and 1.5 per cent nationally. '

http://www.cityam.com/273691/lonon-house-prices-fall-three-per-cent-after-no-deal-brexit

The problem with all these forecasts is that there are about a million other variables that also matter:

Deal passed, but government falls, and Corbyn elected: my money would be on prices dropping quite significantly...

No deal, but government slashes stamp duty to near zero... or reintroduces mortgage interest tax relief...

Etc. etc. etc.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

ydoethur said:

Hardly 'even more'. Not doing it would probably have have led to actual defections, not just rebellions. Barron was one of only 3 Lab MPs who voted for May's deal after all.
    And Lucy Powell?
  • Options
    The 12th of March is when JohnO and myself have one of our regular PB Tory summits, this time we won't be holding it in a working man's champagne bar.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,857
    edited February 2019
    I think people are misreading Corbyn a little.

I do believe he wants/wanted a No Deal Brexit. However, since that risks splitting his party, and indeed since it now looks unlikely, the next best thing for him is to Remain.

If we did Remain it leaves the Tories looking divided and impotent, and perhaps looking even more extremist. May’s successor will surely be a Hard Brexiter who will have to promise to make Europhilia a capital crime or some such bollocks.

• Options
    TheJezziahTheJezziah Posts: 3,840

This can't be right, we were told so reliably by so many people on the right exactly what Corbyn wanted, many on the left disagreed but there was an understanding that only those on the right really know what the left will do...

Well, the cynical view is that he wanted the disaster socialist outcome so much that he wouldn't do this until he was literally threatened with the dissolution of his party.

But all's well that ends well...
    He'd let a few dozen MPs walk happily, he works for the members and the country not those MPs on the right of the party IMO.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,003
    rcs1000 said:

' House prices in London could dip three per cent after a no deal Brexit, new research has found.

However, if an agreement is reached, property prices are expected to rise 0.5 per cent in the capital and 1.5 per cent nationally. '

http://www.cityam.com/273691/lonon-house-prices-fall-three-per-cent-after-no-deal-brexit

The problem with all these forecasts is that there are about a million other variables that also matter:

Deal passed, but government falls, and Corbyn elected: my money would be on prices dropping quite significantly...

No deal, but government slashes stamp duty to near zero... or reintroduces mortgage interest tax relief...

Etc. etc. etc.
    Not to mention external factors: recession in China, combined with active measures to discourage people from moving offshore, bad for London property...

Or trade deal looks good, and China loosens its restrictions

Oil prices rise, and Russian and Gulf investors look to London to hide money away...

Or falling oil prices, and people start selling because they need the cash...
  • Options

dots said:

dots said:

dots said:

dots said:

Jonathan said:

I am not interested in silly comments
    I agree it was silly for Hezza to say such a thing. Bad taste.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

ydoethur said:

And Lucy Powell?
    Yes, a few more will rebel. But they're hardly going to go to the Tiggers over this and how many will follow Austin? Versus how many were going to walk if Corbyn refused to do what he has?

Come on, there's no contest. May has to face that the ERG outnumber the remainer ultras, and Corbyn has to face that the remainers outnumber his leave backers. Both act accordingly.
  • Options

Plus, if there is any chance of getting close to a 2nd vote proposal passing, May will call a GE.
    I doubt she has a problem with the Deal+PV proposal, provided she can blame someone else for making it happen. Getting a mandate for her deal would make her job easier, as would brexit going away and leaving her to get on with the things she went into politics to do like creating a huge dystopian surveillance state.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Etc. etc. etc.
    Indeed.

The spread of possibilities should be pretty large.

Which, to take a trip back in time, is why the Treasury's Leave effect forecasts were so reprehensible.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,074

If TIG are campaigning under the banner of The Independent Group, all manner of independent candidates could get an unexpected bounce.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,823
    Pulpstar said:

Ah balls, Mark Hollis of Talk Talk has died

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upyrWwstEMY
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Etc. etc. etc.
    Indeed.

Which, to take a trip back in time, is why the Treasury's Leave effect forecasts were so reprehensible.
    You don't think the Treasury should forecast things???
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,786

I think people are misreading Corbyn a little.

I do believe he wants/wanted a No Deal Brexit. However, since that risks splitting his party, and indeed since it now looks unlikely, the next best thing for him is to Remain.

If we did Remain it leaves the Tories looking divided and impotent, and perhaps looking even more extremist. May’s successor will surely be a Hard Brexiter who will have to promise to make Europhilia a capital crime or some such bollocks.

Corbyn is being misread, sure - he should have a big sign over his head saying 'AVOID'. (Or possibly 'A VOID').
  • Options
    dots said:

dots said:

dots said:

Jonathan said:

I've lost the plot - when is this vote going to be held, is it this week?
    No, its the twelfth that May corrects as by the twelfth with her delay is delay logic that everyone believes is second Tuesday in March.

Hope that helps
    Honestly? No, not really.

(But thanks anyway.)
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,685

rcs1000 said:

Etc. etc. etc.
    Indeed.

We can forecast everything apart from the future.

• Options

rcs1000 said:

Etc. etc. etc.
    Indeed.

They should do so with rather more care and objectivity than they did for the effects of a Leave win.

Of course the Treasury has had rather a history of making its forecasts fit certain viewpoints.

Which is why the OBR was created - because the Treasury was deemed to be not sufficiently independent.
  • Options

Well, the cynical view is that he wanted the disaster socialist outcome so much that he wouldn't do this until he was literally threatened with the dissolution of his party.

But all's well that ends well...
    He'd let a few dozen MPs walk happily, he works for the members and the country not those MPs on the right of the party IMO.
    I see it there is a political schism in Corbyns support crudely defined as Unite v Momentum, do i have a point? Are you Unite or Momentum Corbyn supporter?

The reason why i think such internal political gaming is important here I see momentum driving this policy change as much as Emily and Keir.
  • Options

If TIG are campaigning under the banner of The Independent Group, all manner of independent candidates could get an unexpected bounce.
    Which could be at the expense of TIG.
  • Options
    sarissasarissa Posts: 1,785
    Danny565 said:

Alistair said:

Alistair said:

I think this stops IndyRef2 happening.

You think?
    There are people desperate to vote Labour in Scotland. They are unionists. They want to stay in the EU. They hate Corbyn and the SNP.

Let's call them the JK Rowling types.

Tonight Corbyn has given them enough to work with to stop them contemplating Scottish Independence as a way of staying in the EU.
    Speaking of JK, why has she seemingly disappeared from Twitter?

I would've thought she would've been in her element this past week.
    This prompted me to check if the civil case she is pursuing against her former PA at Airdie Sheriff Court is still going on.

I didn’t find any mention of it, but a current case, Better than Grass Ltd v Smart Grass (Europe) Limited, looks even more riveting!
  • Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,215

The 12th of March is when JohnO and myself have one of our regular PB Tory summits, this time we won't be holding it in a working man's champagne bar.

And naturally nothing is too good for the working class and its representatives.
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623
    Forecasting is a mug's game and yet you still have to try.
  • Options
    sarissa said:

Danny565 said:

Alistair said:

Alistair said:

I think this stops IndyRef2 happening.

You think?
    There are people desperate to vote Labour in Scotland. They are unionists. They want to stay in the EU. They hate Corbyn and the SNP.

Let's call them the JK Rowling types.

Tonight Corbyn has given them enough to work with to stop them contemplating Scottish Independence as a way of staying in the EU.
    Speaking of JK, why has she seemingly disappeared from Twitter?

I would've thought she would've been in her element this past week.
    This prompted me to check if the civil case she is pursuing against her former PA at Airdie Sheriff Court is still going on.

I didn’t find any mention of it, but a current case, Better than Grass Ltd v Smart Grass (Europe) Limited, looks even more riveting!
    Can't wait for you to post a few clippings from that one.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,823
    edited February 2019

I like Zizzi's, I like The Handmade Burger Company, I love Subway. I bloody love Yo Sushi!

I love lamp.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    The Jezziah does not lie, I'm sure it is a misunderstanding.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    Oh, that's awkward. Unsurprising, but awkward.
  • Options

Speaking purely from a political betting standpoint 'We need another referendum this year'

2018 was the first year since 2013 without a major electoral/referendum event in the UK, some years we had more than one.

But yet there were by-elections in 2013 and 2018.

1998 is the only year in British history with no by-elections or general elections.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Etc. etc. etc.
    Not to mention external factors: recession in China, combined with active measures to discourage people from moving offshore, bad for London property...

Oil prices rise, and Russian and Gulf investors look to London to hide money away...

FWIW the value of my flat (one bed, zone two) has declined by about 14-15% since the Brexit vote.

I put most of that down to Osborne's changes in tax relief for buy to let - it's just nowhere near as profitable as it used to be.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

I like Zizzi's, I like The Handmade Burger Company, I love Subway. I bloody love Yo Sushi!

I like lamp.
    Do you want to know something really funny.

At the end of Anchorman it was said that Brick Tamland went to work for the George W Bush administration.

In Vice, Steve Carrell ended up playing Donald Rumsfeld, so Anchorman was right.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    Scott_P said:
    "the leader" - they can't even bear to say his name
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:
    It is all rather odd. Even by Jezza's standards.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,631
    ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

Henry founded a fairly short lived dynasty; Elizabeth constructed an enduring nation. Albeit rather frayed these days.

• Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,685
    kle4 said:

Scott_P said:
    The Jezziah does not lie, I'm sure it is a misunderstanding.
    Perhaps it was Hamas that he spoke to. Easy mistake to make.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

I am guessing Seamus is not on board with this one.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,857
    kyf_100 said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Etc. etc. etc.

FWIW the value of my flat (one bed, zone two) has declined by about 14-15% since the Brexit vote.

I put most of that down to Osborne's changes in tax relief for buy to let - it's just nowhere near as profitable as it used to be.
    That’s a big drop. Is it a new build?

• Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 4,980
    Pulpstar said:

Ah balls, Mark Hollis of Talk Talk has died

That's rather shocking news. A very underrated band (the 'It's My Life' album is particularly good) - I could never quite understand why they didn't come anywhere close to matching the success of contemporaries such as Tears for Fears.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,822
    edited February 2019
    Scott_P said:
    I'd be happy with another referendum if it's between May's deal, Jezza's deal and No Deal!

:D
  • Options

But yet there were by-elections in 2013 and 2018.

1998 is the only year in British history with no by-elections or general elections.
    I said major electoral events, the 2018 by elections don't count.

When a big tree falls, the earth shakes, Lewisham and a Northern Irish by election didn't make the earth move.
  • Options

Scott_P said:
    I am guessing Seamus is not on board with this one.
    His invites to Putin's Valdai Club will dry up if Brexit is stopped.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Scott_P said:
    I'd be happy with another referendum if it's between May's deal, Jezza's deal and No Deal!

Which one would you vote for?
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900
    Scott_P said:

So..... they want no-deal vs remain?
  • Options
    Andrew said:

Scott_P said:

Or Labour's reworked Deal (ie. some CU thrown in to May's) vs Remain.

And then Jezza campaigns for the former.
  • Options
    Andrew said:

Scott_P said:

Unicorn vs remain, I suspect.
  • Options
    TomsToms Posts: 2,478
    So, Rip van Winkle wakes up long enough to do something constructive.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Actually, the pronunciation is closer to Bood-ij-ij.

As an aside, Maltese is a damn strange language.

• Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,822

GIN1138 said:

Scott_P said:

Which one would you vote for?
    May's deal (with a time limit on the backstop) is fine for me.
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    Scott_P said:
    And he looks very different in the accompanying picture.

Whatever the specificity of this new ploy, he's getting the headlines he wants.
  • Options
    If a Deal/Remain referendum amendment passes, then May could ultimately win the meaningful vote by a massive number, because all those who voted for the referendum will back it, plus all those who wanted May's deal without a referendum.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    For a moment I thought the Telegraph had one hell of a scoop about Corbyn's sexuality.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,028
    Andrew said:

Scott_P said:

Permanent Customs Union v Remain
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Andrew said:

Scott_P said:

Unicorn vs remain, I suspect.
    How could a referendum possibly work unless it offered deal options actually agreed with Europe ?
    Anything else would result in even more of a mess than the first one left us with.

• Options
    Foxy said:
    Depends what ‘it’ is.
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    Foxy said:
    I just can't see who the Tory MPs are who'll vote for it.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Pulpstar said:

Actually, the pronunciation is closer to Bood-ij-ij.

As an aside, Maltese is a damn strange language.

Isn't it something ancient Punic might have evolved into ?
  • Options

kyf_100 said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Etc. etc. etc.

That’s a big drop. Is it a new build?

Nope. I think those have held up better, thanks to Osborne's Help to buy only being eligible for new build homes. So BTL landlords aren't buying any more and first time buyers are buying new builds, hence the precipitous drop.
This discussion has been closed.