Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » After another crazy day – the betting movements

Comments

• Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,001
    SeanT said:

Jonathan said:

UCL gave the world Coldplay. Musical herpes.

For that it should be automatically knocked down 100 positions in the world rankings.
    What is this bizarre animus people have developed against Coldplay? It reminds me of past hatreds of the Bee Gees, Abba, Phil Collins, Pink Floyd, and so on.

Some music is so popular I think some insecure, beta, middle class but low-self esteem people have to express a contempt for it, to virtue signal their good taste (compared to the plebs that like this pap). Of course it is bollocks. 20 years later everyone admits it is bollocks.

The Beegees, Abba, Phil Collins, Pink Floyd have all made great pop music, music whose only sin was its popularity, because it is really good pop music. Coldplay are the same. Viva La Vida is a superb popsong, and I challenge anyone to listen to it and not feel a certain exhilaration.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvgZkm1xWPE
    Their second album, A Rush Of Blood To the Head, was genuinely good. Parachutes had its moments. Even Vida La Veda wasn't all bad

But some of their albums? It's music for people who don't like music.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    kle4 said:

AndyJS said:

Scott_P said:

Have the ERG blown their wad? Again!

I wonder whether Brady would call the MPs who've written letters to check they're still current, because some of them were sent in a long time ago. One MP sent one in more than a year ago IIRC.
    I cannot fathom how 48 could not have been reached. Is the most likely explanation simply that a bunch have come in this evening and Brady will count them up in the morning? And he's prepared to meet the PM since based on what he's been told he is very confident the morning will show 48 are there?
    The main thing seems to be that Brady doesn't like to be rushed, no matter how important the matter in hand is.
  • Options
    TheValiantTheValiant Posts: 1,709
    kle4 said:

Anazina said:

I’m going to regret this tweet in the morning.

https://twitter.com/tseofpb/status/1072613241744957440?s=21

Another PB Liverpool fan who does not come from Merseyside
    *puts hand up* One here as well.
    I come from Liverpool but support Port Vale. Is that the same thing?
  • Options

SeanT said:

Jonathan said:

For that it should be automatically knocked down 100 positions in the world rankings.
    What is this bizarre animus people have developed against Coldplay? It reminds me of past hatreds of the Bee Gees, Abba, Phil Collins, Pink Floyd, and so on.

Some music is so popular I think some insecure, beta, middle class but low-self esteem people have to express a contempt for it, to virtue signal their good taste (compared to the plebs that like this pap). Of course it is bollocks. 20 years later everyone admits it is bollocks.

The Beegees, Abba, Phil Collins, Pink Floyd have all made great pop music, music whose only sin was its popularity, because it is really good pop music. Coldplay are the same. Viva La Vida is a superb popsong, and I challenge anyone to listen to it and not feel a certain exhilaration.

Coldplay have made precisely one great song (Fix You), a handful of ok aongs and a large pile of dirge.
    And an even larger pile of cash.

I believe they split the royalties equally so I have to say being the drummer on Coldplay must be a crushy gig. Mega wealthy without even most Coldplay fans being able to recognise you if you pop down Waitrose.
    Good guy, Will Champion. I was at UCL at the same time as him (and the rest of Coldplay) and still occasionally in touch with his brother. Never been a great fan of Coldplay musically but Will especially is a good guy whose wealth is difficult to begrudge.

Thanks, Sean, for the memories of the UCL Union - Thursday nights in particular were epic on the 3rd floor! It all looks so sanitised nowadays, and not sure that's a good thing.
  • Options
    Donny43Donny43 Posts: 634

Danny565 said:

LOL, Liz is not going to be happy if her Christmas is ruined. Fingers crossed she unilatelly dismisses Parliament and calls an election herself in a fit of pique.
    If ever there were a time for a political Queen's speech it's this Christmas...
    Activate the Queen!
  • Options
    kle4 said:

To ways to square tonight's contradictory reports. The letters aren't in. The letters are in and Brady isn't seeing May tomorrow afternoon because he's already seen her. The briefing about the Cabinet Office and the Palace being in contact suggests the later but who knows ?

Or some have withdrawn their letters.
    Why would they do that? Yes, a Tory contest that takes time is hardly something we can afford right now, but May as PM is also achieving nothing, why get cold feet about your letter now if you are then? That makes as little sense as judging people for not supporting their hometown, without telling them how far afield they are permitted to support a team.
    Right, the argument that there wasn't time for a contest was a pretty good one but then when she suggested she was just going to play for time until January 21st she kind of messed that up.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,770

Danny565 said:

LOL, Liz is not going to be happy if her Christmas is ruined. Fingers crossed she unilatelly dismisses Parliament and calls an election herself in a fit of pique.
    She'll have already filmed it by now I expect, but generic comments about this being a time to come together and put aside our differences may be particularly poignant regardless if included.
  • Options

kle4 said:

To ways to square tonight's contradictory reports. The letters aren't in. The letters are in and Brady isn't seeing May tomorrow afternoon because he's already seen her. The briefing about the Cabinet Office and the Palace being in contact suggests the later but who knows ?

Why would they do that? Yes, a Tory contest that takes time is hardly something we can afford right now, but May as PM is also achieving nothing, why get cold feet about your letter now if you are then? That makes as little sense as judging people for not supporting their hometown, without telling them how far afield they are permitted to support a team.
    Right, the argument that there wasn't time for a contest was a pretty good one but then when she suggested she was just going to play for time until January 21st she kind of messed that up.
    Yes, but the suggestion at least is that she would be working on Brexit between now and January 21st. With a Tory contest with an unknown outcome nothing could happen until it was over, so literally a month lost.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    Donny43 said:

Danny565 said:

Activate the Queen!
    Queen's Gambit?
  • Options
    NemtynakhtNemtynakht Posts: 2,311
    Jonathan said:

RobD said:

Jonathan said:

Now would be the perfect time for Labour to call a VONC.

I doubt any of the letter-writers would vote for that!
    The Commons would vote before the Tory MPs. They would force the Tory MPs to publicly state confidence just before they vote the other way privately. Not a good look.
    You’re assuming that Corbyn wants power before Brexit. His actions suggest otherwise.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

SeanT said:

Jonathan said:

Their second album, A Rush Of Blood To the Head, was genuinely good. Parachutes had its moments. Even Vida La Veda wasn't all bad

If now did a compilation entitled “now that’s what I call music for people who don’t like music”, other that numerous Coldplay tracks who else who be on there?
  • Options
    OortOort Posts: 96
    edited December 2018
    So Nigel Farage isn't strong at chess then? He says Theresa May has been "stalemated". But stalemate is a draw. She has been put into zugzwang. Bring the proposed WA to the Commons with a new paragraph indent added and she's toast. Ditch it and then there's no WA on the table and she's toast. She will have to make a move and soon. And she's toast.

What she "should" do is admit her deal is caput and say it's No Deal or Remain and of those two options she'll back Remain in a referendum. But "they've got us by the short and curlies" isn't a good line. And nobody should ask whether it's OK for the electorate to tear up the Good Friday Agreement if they want to.
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704
    edited December 2018

kle4 said:

She shot that argument with the delay.
    She dumped support over the legal advice.
    She ruptured her goodwill by pulling the MV
    She lost credibility in party management with three quick defeats.
    Not a good few days. Alienated all wings of the party.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,981

rcs1000 said:

SeanT said:

Jonathan said:

If now did a compilation entitled “now that’s what I call music for people who don’t like music”, other that numerous Coldplay tracks who else who be on there?
    Radiohead? ( I’ll take the ban and go and do some proper work.)
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

SeanT said:

Jonathan said:

Oasis. Criminally overrated.
  • Options
    Well, at least, finally, this phase is over. May is done, her deal is done, as has been clear for some time. Hopefully, after some unicorn hunting, whoever picks up the baton can see parliament to start to coalesce around actual options, however horrible some of them may be.

Good luck everyone, it's going to get even worse before it gets better. It might not get better at all.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

RobD said:

Jonathan said:

The Commons would vote before the Tory MPs. They would force the Tory MPs to publicly state confidence just before they vote the other way privately. Not a good look.
    You’re assuming that Corbyn wants power before Brexit. His actions suggest otherwise.
    It's hard to read anything from Corbyn other than that he wants a No Deal Brexit that screws the Tories. That's a Twofer......
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,788

rcs1000 said:

SeanT said:

Jonathan said:

I must respectfully disagree. Despite the fact that the Gallagher brothers can be teeth-grittingly annoying, their Oasis stuff was frequently lovely.
  • Options
    Is it? What time does the Chief Whip normally leave Number 10?
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704
    kle4 said:

Well, at least, finally, this phase is over. May is done, her deal is done, as has been clear for some time. Hopefully, after some unicorn hunting, whoever picks up the baton can see parliament to start to coalesce around actual options, however horrible some of them may be.

Good luck everyone, it's going to get even worse before it gets better. It might not get better at all.

Hopefully parliament will do its job and make a decision.
  • Options
    DruttDrutt Posts: 1,093
    BBC news has gone to ratshit. Giggling sports presenter for 30 seconds; neither presenter nor producer knowing she was live followed by a freeze screen and the anchor saying "what am I saying?".

Outturn - stock report on melting ice shelfs.

And on that note, goodnight
  • Options

AndyJS said:

FF43 said:

AndyJS said:

SeanT said:

Scott_P said:
    No one comments on how this catastrophe is quietly building a majority for Remain.
    This catastrophe is quietly building a majority for Remain.
    There is absolutely no evidence of this in the polls. Sorry.

Unless you can provide a link? The nation is evenly split, as ever.

Indeed my understanding of human nature thinks a swing to Leave is as likely as the opposite, as the bloody minded Brits think Fuck You to the EU - and the sneering posho Remainers.
    I thought the link attached - with a 12 point remain lead did that?!
    Other recent polls have shown 50/50.
    Since early September I think all the polls have shown a clear Remain lead. Mostly Leave voters switching to Don't Know rather than Remain however.
    This is from about 6 weeks ago:

"Europe Elects
    @EuropeElects
    Oct 29

UK, Deltapoll poll:

EU membership ref.

Remain: 50% (nc)
    Leave: 50% (nc)

Field work: 24/10/18 – 26/10/18
    Sample size: 1,017"
    I think the key words are "six weeks ago"......
    The interesting question would be if this is being driven by Leavers moving to don’t know how likely would they move back? My first interest in political polling was in the nineties after the 92 election which seemed to be clearly a Labour victory. Afterwards the shy Tory phenomenon was established for a group who would not tell pollsters how they would vote as it was socially unacceptable. I was hooked for the next election and didn’t believe the polls until after Election Day in 1997.
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    "A comedian has pulled out of a student charity event after being asked to sign a contract banning him from being offensive about almost anything.

Konstantin Kisin was sent a 'behavioural agreement form' which stopped him telling jokes which were not 'respectful and kind'.

The form stated: 'By signing this contract, you are agreeing to our no-tolerance policy with regards to racism, sexism, classism, ageism, ableism, homophobia, biphobia, transphobia, xenophobia, Islamophobia or anti-religion or anti-atheism.'"

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6484947/Comedian-pulls-university-charity-event-asked-sign-behaviour-contract.html
  • Options
    timmotimmo Posts: 1,469
    I gather its the CCHQ xmas party tomorrow night..it will be like a scene from Downfall...
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

You would have to be mad to want to be PM now. Anyone who wants the job should not be allowed near it.

That's Catch-1922.
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    viewcode said:

rcs1000 said:

SeanT said:

Jonathan said:

I must respectfully disagree. Despite the fact that the Gallagher brothers can be teeth-grittingly annoying, their Oasis stuff was frequently lovely.
    Definitely Maybe was electrifying - the sound of a band full of energy bursting from the record. Then came WTSMG and the B sides around then which were brilliant, then well it all went boring too much ego not enough talent.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

You would have to be mad to want to be PM now. Anyone who wants the job should not be allowed near it.

That's Catch-1922.
    Boom tish
  • Options
    viewcode said:

rcs1000 said:

SeanT said:

Jonathan said:

To be fair Noel is a good musician, and Liam has genuine stage presence. I can see why they're so successful and their annoying aggro thing is part of that. I just see them as a wannabe rock band with nowhere near the depth of many other rock bands. But that's just me.
  • Options

viewcode said:

rcs1000 said:

SeanT said:

Jonathan said:

Definitely Maybe was electrifying - the sound of a band full of energy bursting from the record. Then came WTSMG and the B sides around then which were brilliant, then well it all went boring too much ego not enough talent.
    Aye, that's true... :(
  • Options
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Yes, but the suggestion at least is that she would be working on Brexit between now and January 21st. With a Tory contest with an unknown outcome nothing could happen until it was over, so literally a month lost.
    So be it. She's wasted two years and a month is going to make no difference.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

SeanT said:

Jonathan said:

Tough one.

Here's the thing: there are bands who have produced sublime albums, who have also produced utter shit. (See Floyd, Pink.)

There would be quite a lot of later Oasis on that album. There'd be some Pink Floyd. There'd be some of the more overproduced R.E.M, and a little bit of U2 (yes, it's true).
  • Options
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

No, May would not be working on Brexit, rather she would be running around in circles in a vain hope that something would turn up. Every day she stays as PM is a day lost.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Jonathan said:

It could just be that 99% of music produced since about 1995 has been awful. Most people would rather listen to Abba and the Bee Gees than anything from the last 20 years or so.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

SeanT said:

Jonathan said:

Tough one.

Here's the thing: there are bands who have produced sublime albums, who have also produced utter shit. (See Floyd, Pink.)

There would be quite a lot of later Oasis on that album. There'd be some Pink Floyd. There'd be some of the more overproduced R.E.M, and a little bit of U2 (yes, it's true).
    Let me add to the list: everything by Madonna after about 1988. Wings. Some Fleetwood Mac.
  • Options
    Clearly it's happening. And the strategy of waiting to strike is vindicated. A challenge to May in mid November would have cemented her in post as Tory Leader for the next 12 months. This leadership challenge is going to happen, and her stock has sunk so low that it is very likely now to succeed.
  • Options

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

So be it. She's wasted two years and a month is going to make no difference.
    It does when there's only 3 months left . An interim leader is needed and the Tories are being selfish to do otherwise.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

No, May would not be working on Brexit, rather she would be running around in circles in a vain hope that something would turn up. Every day she stays as PM is a day lost.
    Totally agree
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

SeanT said:

Jonathan said:

Tough one.

Let me add to the list: everything by Madonna after about 1988. Wings. Some Fleetwood Mac.
    Confessions On A Dancefloor is Madonna’s best album.
  • Options

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

I have been very clear she needs to go, the use of she was accidental- an interim leader could get things moving in the next month. A contest which would just be a chance to show who is the most anti EU candidate is pointless.
  • Options
    Strasbourg attacker named as Cherif Chekatt - apparently when police searched his house earlier they found grenades.

Sounds like they disrupted him before he was ready to go.
  • Options

Clearly it's happening. And the strategy of waiting to strike is vindicated. A challenge to May in mid November would have cemented her in post as Tory Leader for the next 12 months. This leadership challenge is going to happen, and her stock has sunk so low that it is very likely now to succeed.
    Tom Newton Dunn thinks she is toast
  • Options
    DadgeDadge Posts: 2,038
    36% chance of May going this year is pretty remarkable odds when there's only 20 days left. Time to lay?
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

SeanT said:

Jonathan said:

Tough one.

U2? Their entire catalogue should go on it - Bono with his ashmatic weedy vocals; ‘The Edge’ with his inane, plinky-plonk, over-effected guitar triflings.

• Options
    Dadge said:

36% chance of May going this year is pretty remarkable odds when there's only 20 days left. Time to lay?

Going as what? PM or Leader of the Conservative Party?
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    Popular music since 1995 has been mostly dreadful.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

So your not a stormzy fan then.....
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,970

In hindsight, London 2012 was Peak Britain

Yes.
  • Options
    Ian Paisley facing new questions over luxury Maldives holiday

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-46530569

Given the current situation, not sure if that is good news or bad news for May.
  • Options
    Stormy Daniels is ordered to pay Trump almost $293,000 in legal fees after LOSING bid to sue president for defamation in case brought by Michael Avenatti

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6485275/Stormy-Daniels-ordered-pay-Trump-293-000-legal-fees.html
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    Right now is a weird time to strike, surely she will go after Gove resigns when her vote fails in the commons.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,008

An act of contemptible self indulgence when there is not and will not be any other Deal on the table, the end result if May is ousted may well end up being a Corbyn Premiership within months and permanent Customs Union anyway
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

SeanT said:

Jonathan said:

Tough one.

See also Dylan, B. Always a little piece of genius .Often on the cutting room floor .
  • Options

Ian Paisley facing new questions over luxury Maldives holiday

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-46530569

Given the current situation, not sure if that is good news or bad news for May.

Err errm Good news, she still wins a parliament Vonc without him but one less vote needed for WA
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,008

Theresa May has had her chips. I expect the time is coming soon enough when we will look back fondly on the halcyon days of her premiership.

Indeed, I am ashamed of some members of my party tonight and fear for my country and what awaits it around the corner
  • Options
    viewcode said:

Dadge said:

Leader of the Tories. They mismatch by a few days normally, see Cameron.
  • Options
    I reckon the PM resigns after she loses the vote on her WA. We've effectively had the first vote, so the real vote in early January will be IT (Only one). Surely the ERG, Brady, Smith and May herself can agree this is the best way forward and get letters withdrawn on this basis ?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

I reckon the PM resigns after she loses the vote on her WA. We've effectively had the first vote, so the real vote in early January will be IT (Only one). Surely the ERG, Brady, Smith and May herself can agree this is the best way forward and get letters withdrawn on this basis ?

Massive hostage to fortune prediction - I know I know...
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

viewcode said:

Dadge said:

Thank you.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

Pulpstar said:

viewcode said:

Dadge said:

Thank you.
    I wish it was next PM, no way in hell that would change till the 7th I think...
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

viewcode said:

Pulpstar said:

viewcode said:

Dadge said:

Thank you.
    https://twitter.com/JGForsyth/status/1072505349318565888
  • Options
    viewcode said:

Pulpstar said:

viewcode said:

Pulpstar said:

viewcode said:

Dadge said:

Thank you.
    That last sentence implies Corbyn wants to avoid a second ref
  • Options
    notmenotme Posts: 3,293
    dixiedean said:

Yes.
    Yours maybe. The rest of the UK are getting theirs back now.
  • Options
    notme said:

dixiedean said:

Yes.
    Or not ,as the case may be .
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,967
    viewcode said:

Pulpstar said:

viewcode said:

Pulpstar said:

viewcode said:

Dadge said:

Thank you.
    That may have already been triggered...
  • Options
    Talk about hostage to fortune.....

I think Javid will be PM by the end of the week

https://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/953068/Sajid-Javid-EU-Brexit-news-Brexiteer-Remainer-Home-Secretary

I know it’s the express but it sets out that Javid was Eurosceptic, votes remain as worried about Brexit, but has argued for clean Brexit to take advantage of benefits of leaving.

He has also been effective as Home Secretary - sorted Windrush, medical marijuana, advocate for global immigration policy

And as I said on here on Monday look on google street view for Stapleton road Bristol - more East Ham rather than Eton, more Oldham rather than Old School Tie. A true watershed moment with the BAME U.K. PM - a way to change the narrative.

Admittedly he comes across a bit boring but still?
  • Options
    notmenotme Posts: 3,293
    dixiedean said:

notme said:

dixiedean said:

Yes.
    Or not ,as the case may be .
    Yes.. or not. The culture war rages on. We don’t win very often, as we don’t really know the rules of the game, or even if there is a game. But both Brexit and trump has shown we have the power when we want to use it.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

We know this, right? The line is:
    * We have a dual strategy agreed by the conference, first try for a general election, if that doesn't work we'll support a referendum
    * We won't have a no confidence motion to get a general election unless we're sure it'll pass
  • Options

I think it was the early to mid 1990s.
  • Options
    asjohnstoneasjohnstone Posts: 1,276
    AndyJS said:

Thursday 1st to Friday 2nd May 1997.

• Options
    OortOort Posts: 96
    Danny565 said:

She can't. The FTPA took away her power to dissolve Parliament off her own bat.
    Pulpstar said:

viewcode said:

Dadge said:

Only one PM has been unseated by a party leadership election - Margaret Thatcher in 1990. Withdrew from the contest and simultaneously announced she would be resigning as PM. Stayed as caretaker for five days until John Major won the leadership.

I won't be surprised if there's a new PM by the time the Commons rises on 20 December.

No way will she be winning a party confidence vote. "Untouchable for a year"? She wouldn't be anyway, but she won't be given such a status even nominally.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,282
    Pulpstar said:

That would certainly be for the best. The reputational damage to the Tories if they pile internal strife and more uncertainty onto the current firestorm could be considerable. And it is clearly better to persuade May that the game is up and she goes willingly.

It does however rely on the ERG exhibiting some sense and reason, rather than smelling some new conspiracy. It also relies on whoever passes for Baldrick inside no. 10 not persuading May that she can survive via some further cunning plan.
  • Options

Clearly it's happening. And the strategy of waiting to strike is vindicated.....
    LOL @ "strategy" ! The principal conspirators have been trying but failing for months. The secondary conspirators were ready to go but flunked out when they were told by their constituency parties and/or public that they must be mad. The potential contenders have alternately been keeping their head down and preparing their challenges for most of the year. If it happens now, no-one planned it that way.
  • Options
    edited December 2018

Jonathan said:

RobD said:

Jonathan said:

No-one sensible would want power before Brexit (or anti-Brexit). (Edit/ except to call it all off)

Nevertheless the left (for Corbyn is just the figurehead) will want a chance at having power properly, with a significant majority and a five year term. That means letting the crisis play out and then having the election (or revolution!). They are going to be wary of becoming caretakers responsible for overseeing a short term crisis, since that could easily propel them back to the obscurity from whence they came.

As should the current crisis for the leading Brexiters, with any luck.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,898
    AndyJS said:

I’d say about 2005, and my parents would say about 1985. We all agree modern stuff is rubbish.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,898
    edited December 2018
    Pulpstar said:

viewcode said:

Pulpstar said:

viewcode said:

Pulpstar said:

viewcode said:

Dadge said:

Thank you.
    Corbyn wants either an election or no-deal.

He’d likely be happy enough with the WA if he was proposing it, but opposes it as he sees his opposition as the best route to an election.

Most of his supporters are in favour of Remain, and don’t understand why Corbyn is so reticent about supporting that view.
  • Options
    GadflyGadfly Posts: 1,191
    Pulpstar said:

viewcode said:

Pulpstar said:

viewcode said:

Pulpstar said:

viewcode said:

Dadge said:

Thank you.
    I think Corbyn wants to be seen 'supporting' the concept of a second referendum but is in fact hoping that time constraints won't permit it.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,650
    AndyJS said:

SeanT said:

Jonathan said:

It could just be that 99% of music produced since about 1995 has been awful. Most people would rather listen to Abba and the Bee Gees than anything from the last 20 years or so.
    Many bands have only one good album in them, and never come close to the same quality again. Your cutoff would exclude Amy Winehouse's sublime "Back to Black" , and the Handsome Family "Through the Trees"

Perhaps the era of streaming is part to blame. Music is so availible and unlimited that finding the grains of wheat in the bushels of chaff is quite a challenge.
    l
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,995
    Testing;
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

SeanT said:

Jonathan said:

It could be that 99% of music in any era is awful and we just remember the other 1%.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,242
    Donny43 said:

AndyJS said:

SeanT said:

Jonathan said:

It could be that 99% of music in any era is awful and we just remember the other 1%.
    Charles Wesley wrote 7,000 hymns in the eighteenth century. We sing maybe sixty of them today.
  • Options
    Anyway, I just thought I'd check in and see what was happening. Busy time of year for me. Anything exciting happen in the last 72 hours?
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Clearly it's happening. And the strategy of waiting to strike is vindicated.....
    LOL @ "strategy" ! The principal conspirators have been trying but failing for months. The secondary conspirators were ready to go but flunked out when they were told by their constituency parties and/or public that they must be mad. The potential contenders have alternately been keeping their head down and preparing their challenges for most of the year. If it happens now, no-one planned it that way.
    Rees Mogg took a different and tactically flawed approach, as I argued here at the time. But LOL at your idea that it was pressure from constituency parties and their electorate that stopped the bulk of the Brexiteers from moving against her with him. Very clearly the latter deliberately chose their moment, and it is now.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

AndyJS said:

SeanT said:

Jonathan said:

Many bands have only one good album in them, and never come close to the same quality again. Your cutoff would exclude Amy Winehouse's sublime "Back to Black" , and the Handsome Family "Through the Trees"

Perhaps the era of streaming is part to blame. Music is so availible and unlimited that finding the grains of wheat in the bushels of chaff is quite a challenge.
    l
    It's never been easier to listen to the one great track on an album and ignore the rest.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Anyway, I just thought I'd check in and see what was happening. Busy time of year for me. Anything exciting happen in the last 72 hours?

A lot of things have not happened, albeit quite excitingly.
  • Options
    Donny43 said:

ydoethur said:

Are we talking about politics or somebody's sex life here?
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,307
    I find Raab being favourite really quite odd. He has not exactly covered himself in glory recently and his interviews have bordered on the funny sometimes showing real limitations in his thinking and analytical abilities. For me he is being seriously overrated.
  • Options
    numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,463
    edited December 2018
    It is starting to feel like we are walking into managed no deal or second referendum by necessity. The problem with the latter is that any leadership contender who suggests another vote will probably not get on the ballot. Or will lose the membership.

Suspect the new leader would go to Brussels to ask for a renegotiation, they will tell them where to go and then it really is the end of the line.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    viewcode said:

rcs1000 said:

SeanT said:

Jonathan said:

Oasis have one good album, what's the story. Admittedly that album is a banger, an absolute all time greatest album, but that's it.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Not much has changed, but they live underwater.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

I find Raab being favourite really quite odd. He has not exactly covered himself in glory recently and his interviews have bordered on the funny sometimes showing real limitations in his thinking and analytical abilities. For me he is being seriously overrated.

Perhaps Raab's backers think or hope he will be the ERG's chosen candidate but since the ERG cannot be relied on to send 48 letters, this will not see him elected. Since Raab and Boris would be fishing in the same pool, I'd oppose both (which I have).
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,995
    ydoethur said:

Donny43 said:

ydoethur said:

Are we talking about politics or somebody's sex life here?
    Looks like you're getting demob happy. When do you finish?
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Donny43 said:

AndyJS said:

SeanT said:

Jonathan said:

+1, listening to the historical pop charts on Radio 2 they do where they run down the charts from the so called golden age of pop music (60s, early 70s) makes you go "never heard of this utter rubbish" on a frequent basis. Utterly annodyne number 1s time and time again.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

The John Maor Years.

Crikey......
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

SeanT said:

Jonathan said:

Coldplay music is ok right up until the moment Chris Martin opens his mouth.
  • Options

It is starting to feel like we are walking into managed no deal or second referendum by necessity. The problem with the latter is that any leadership contender who suggests another vote will probably not get on the ballot. Or will lose the membership.

Suspect the new leader would go to Brussels to ask for a renegotiation, they will tell them where to go and then it really is the end of the line.

The amusing thing is that all this was predictable and indeed predicted. It has pretty much all happened along the lines that Barnier and Tusk laid out. Leaving the club does not allow us to change the rules.

No Deal won't be that bad. Humiliation is a recoverable insult to pride, not a more physical injury. Some harsh austerity to Leaverstan should get us through fine.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

He is but I think people are anticipating coalescing around a single hard Leaver candidate, which won’t be Boris.

Personally, I doubt a hard Leaver will actually win.
  • Options
    It’s noteworthy Jeremy Corbyn has lengthened markedly for next Prime Minister on Betfair. He last traded at 5.5 yesterday and currently at 6.6.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

Not much has changed, but they live underwater.
    Talking of classic music post 1995. Lifespan changed if there were only six generations before the year 3000...
This discussion has been closed.