Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Ideas, events and people. What the Conservatives need to do ne

Comments

• Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,359
    I expect there will be lots of shouting matches in the HOC in the coming months, god forbid
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,996

It the DUP support the conservatives where do they sit on the green benches

They'll sit opposite I think.
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,128
    Pulpstar said:

One good thing about the election is that there is no particular "class" element to the vote any more. That is healthy going forward.

Great big age split though.

Clegg saying no to increasing tuition fees is an interesting 'What if'.

There's a big city-town split as well.
  • Options
    Bobajob_PBBobajob_PB Posts: 928
    midwinter said:

Sean_F said:

midwinter said:

midwinter said:

midwinter said:

Sean_F said:

LucyJones said:

nichomar said:

The result really should terrify the Conservatives. For 15 years they dreamt of unifying the right by embracing Brexitism and winning back UKIP voters, believing that such a voting coalition would crush their Labour enemies, and having finally done it, it only gave them a hung parliament.

They've now tied themselves to a doomed endeavour. If they can't reverse course they will go down with it, and a new pro-European centre-right political force will need to emerge.

Since when did Cameron et al embrace Brexitism? He called the referendum in the hope of killing it off stone dead by permanently "docking" the UK to the EU.
    I meant that the anti-Cameroons dreamt of that strategy. They thought that appealing to the centre ground was a waste of time when they had 4 million UKIP voters to tap. We now have real electoral evidence that Cameron was right, and they were wrong.
    We have real electoral evidence that your stance on the EU is backed by a very small minority.

I mean, Kate Hoey got 31,000 votes when Gina Miller thought she'd be defeated.
    How did Victoria Borwick do?
    About the same as Jane Ellison and Justine Greening.

Hoey was ramped as a specific target by Remainers.
    So Brexit had nothing to do with her losing her seat? It's a view.
    As I didn't say that its not a view.

When its only 20 votes any number of reasons are involved and Brexit was probably one of them.

Nevertheless the Leaver Borwick had an equivalent fall in votes to Remainer Conservatives in inner London.
    Because the threat of Brexit or at least hard Brexit is associated with the unattractive electorally right wing of the Tories.
    With a half sane leader Labour would have won on Thursday. Easily.
    A big problem for the Conservatives is that both the left wing and the right wing think that the other faction is making them unpopular, and they don't realise that they each need the other.
    Maybe so..strikes me the right of the party are obsessed with Europe to the exclusion of almost all else however.
    Indeed. The frothers have once again wrecked the party. It was ever thus.
  • Options
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 1,112

midwinter said:

Sean_F said:

midwinter said:

midwinter said:

midwinter said:

Sean_F said:

LucyJones said:

nichomar said:

The result really should terrify the Conservatives. For 15 years they dreamt of unifying the right by embracing Brexitism and winning back UKIP voters, believing that such a voting coalition would crush their Labour enemies, and having finally done it, it only gave them a hung parliament.

They've now tied themselves to a doomed endeavour. If they can't reverse course they will go down with it, and a new pro-European centre-right political force will need to emerge.

Since when did Cameron et al embrace Brexitism? He called the referendum in the hope of killing it off stone dead by permanently "docking" the UK to the EU.
    I meant that the anti-Cameroons dreamt of that strategy. They thought that appealing to the centre ground was a waste of time when they had 4 million UKIP voters to tap. We now have real electoral evidence that Cameron was right, and they were wrong.
    We have real electoral evidence that your stance on the EU is backed by a very small minority.

When its only 20 votes any number of reasons are involved and Brexit was probably one of them.

Nevertheless the Leaver Borwick had an equivalent fall in votes to Remainer Conservatives in inner London.
    Because the threat of Brexit or at least hard Brexit is associated with the unattractive electorally right wing of the Tories.
    A big problem for the Conservatives is that both the left wing and the right wing think that the other faction is making them unpopular, and they don't realise that they each need the other.
    Maybe so..strikes me the right of the party are obsessed with Europe to the exclusion of almost all else however.
    Indeed. The frothers have once again wrecked the party. It was ever thus.
    It's rather frustrating
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Didn't Paisley Snr sit on government side for some reason ?
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,712
    edited June 2017

Pulpstar said:

Didn't Paisley Snr sit on government side for some reason ?
    The DUP sat there in opposition to the UUP on the other side. Go figure.

(Edited UK to UUP!)
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,583
    edited June 2017

Pulpstar said:

One good thing about the election is that there is no particular "class" element to the vote any more. That is healthy going forward.

Ewww, you mean people that plebs/people who went to comprehensives voted like me?
    I think you and Charles need to move to Mansfield - we can't have you living in a Labour seat.

Edit: Does Cameron still live in Notting Hill, he'll have to move to Mansfield as well. Where does Osborne live ?

Edit: Cameron must be used to living in a Labour seat as he moved there when it was Regents Park and North Kensington.
    Dave lives in Holland Park, and Osborne moved back into his house in Notting Hill, so like me, both are living under a Labour MP as well.
  • Options
    midwinter said:

glw said:

nielh said:

If it has then the the Tories are truly fucked, they are relying on dying demographic.

Ah yes another variation of "the Tories will never win again". Why do people never learn?
    I'd say the Tories never learn. The only time they've won a majority since 92 is on a socially Liberal, fiscally dry platform. Banging on about hard Brexit, fox hunting and using the DUP lead me to expect will be getting songs and poetry about single mothers at party conference time again soon.
    You mean the election when they promised no tax rises, spending increases all round and encouraged fear of Scottish politicians ?
  • Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,341
    glw said:

nielh said:

If it has then the the Tories are truly fucked, they are relying on dying demographic.

Ah yes another variation of "the Tories will never win again". Why do people never learn?
    Since 1992 the Tories have won a (small) majority in just one of the 6 subsequent election, including 3 elections where they scored less than 200.
  • Options

glw said:

nielh said:

Since 1992 the Tories have won a (small) majority in just one of the 6 subsequent election, including 3 elections where they scored less than 200.
    I thought Blair was a Tory ?

He must have been, I've read it so many times on PB.
  • Options
    The_ApocalypseThe_Apocalypse Posts: 7,830

glw said:

nielh said:

Think that the Conservative brand were seriously toxified in the 1980s and 1990s. To think that the last time they had a comfortable working majority was 1987 - 30 years ago.
  • Options
    kjohnwkjohnw Posts: 1,456
    question: under the article 50 legislation passed in the last parliament didn't the government frame it parliament gets a vote on the final brexit deal but if parliament rejects the deal we crash out of EU anyway. so hard brexit anyway if deal negotiated is crap
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Ewww, you mean people that plebs/people who went to comprehensives voted like me?
    I think you and Charles need to move to Mansfield - we can't have you living in a Labour seat.

Edit: Does Cameron still live in Notting Hill, he'll have to move to Mansfield as well. Where does Osborne live ?

Edit: Cameron must be used to living in a Labour seat as he moved there when it was Regents Park and North Kensington.
    Dave lives in Holland Park, and Osborne moved back into his house in Notting Hill, so like me, both are living under a Labour MP as well.
    Does Boris live with the proles out in his constituency or is he still central London ?
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,996

midwinter said:

glw said:

nielh said:

I'd say the Tories never learn. The only time they've won a majority since 92 is on a socially Liberal, fiscally dry platform. Banging on about hard Brexit, fox hunting and using the DUP lead me to expect will be getting songs and poetry about single mothers at party conference time again soon.
    You mean the election when they promised no tax rises, spending increases all round and encouraged fear of Scottish politicians ?
    It's that tax rise refusal which has lead to police cuts and so forth.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 31,014
    edited June 2017
    Sean_F said:

Thing is I don't think that is why the Tories have a problem. From the outside looking in prior to the election the party appeared, to me at least, to be more unified than I have ever known it. There were a couple of Eurofanatic headbangers like Clarke and Soubry but they were generally behaving. This problem that has appeared with the Tory party all stems from one single issue - Theresa May. She is not the person to lead either the party or the country and has set the Tory party back decades in just a few short weeks.

If they are ruthless and get rid of May then I do believe there is plenty of common ground between the various wings of the party to allow them to put together an effective programme and start to rebuild public confidence. But May has to go.
  • Options

midwinter said:

glw said:

nielh said:

Preferable to the one where they managed to alienate almost every single demographic bar the Northern working class, and in that instance only the ones whose entire family rent their homes?
    And promised absolutely nothing to anyone.
    And gave absolutely no inkling they had the faintest clue how to deal with the Brexit they had instigated.
    And nearly let the most deranged Labour leader in living history become PM.
    Yep,. Well done on that. Quite the portfolio
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Does Boris live with the proles out in his constituency or is he still central London ?
    Don't know. Doesn't he live in Islington?
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,367

DUP confidence and supply deal agreed - will be put to the Cabinet on Monday.

Always assuming we have a Cabinet by then, of course.

Conservative minority government is 1.09 on Betfair; Any other (ie coalition) is 16.
    Good tip! Have taken a chunk.
  • Options

glw said:

nielh said:

Think that the Conservative brand were seriously toxified in the 1980s and 1990s. To think that the last time they had a comfortable working majority was 1987 - 30 years ago.
    While the last time the non-Blair Labour party won a working majority was in 1966.

Political trends often last a while. What we have had now for a decade is a era of crisis and uncertainty brought on by the effects of globalisation. Its likely to continue.
  • Options
    Happy that there won't be a Con/DUP coalition, at the very least. Presumably, the DUP told May where to go as far as a coalition arrangement was concerned.
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584

Sean_F said:

Thing is I don't think that is why the Tories have a problem. From the outside looking in prior to the election the party appeared, to me at least, to be more unified than I have ever known it. There were a couple of Eurofanatic headbangers like Clarke and Soubry but they were generally behaving. This problem that has appeared with the Tory party all stems from one single issue - Theresa May. She is not the person to lead either the party or the country and has set the Tory party back decades in just a few short weeks.

If they are ruthless and get rid of May then I do believe there is plenty of common ground between the various wings of the party to allow them to put together an effective programme and start to rebuild public confidence. But May has to go.

I agree. TMay had her chance and blew it.

• Options
    nielh said:

Just seen this from yesterday morning.

https://twitter.com/LordAshcroft/status/873058461696774145

That is bad news for the tories. The votes there from middle aged people were overwhelming for Labour. This is not just a 'students want free tuition' vote.
    Will be interesting to see if the old idea about getting more conservative as you get older has been turned on its head. If it has then the the Tories are truly fucked, they are relying on dying demographic.
    I suspect it is that the older generation have more memories of how shit it really is living under proper Labour. We probably need a bout of Corbynism to keep them out of power again for another 4 decades.
  • Options
    midwinter said:

midwinter said:

glw said:

nielh said:

Preferable to the one where they managed to alienate almost every single demographic bar the Northern working class, and in that instance only the ones whose entire family rent their homes?
    And gave absolutely no inkling they had the faintest clue how to deal with the Brexit they had instigated.
    It wasn't the best of campaigns was it.

Still it was probably an accurate indicator to the problems the country will face in the decades to come.
  • Options
    WinstanleyWinstanley Posts: 434
    People are saying May sought a full coalition and the DUP insisted on confidence and supply. She can't even negotiate the DUP *into holding power* and she's going to negotiate Brexit!
  • Options
    Theresa May + DUP = LOL.

Sometimes AveIt's simple maths say it best.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

And a big, persistent gender split. Women much more pro-Labour then men, despite the genders of the party leaders. My suspicion is that women are more into issues like health and education and less bothered by IRA/nukes stuff.
  • Options
    daodaodaodao Posts: 821

Pulpstar said:

Osborne used to live in Rainow and then moved to Wildboarclough, but I presume he's moved again now.
  • Options

Theresa May + DUP = LOL.

Sometimes AveIt's simple maths say it best.

Strong and stable ulster extremism, there.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

#saveMay
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,956
    midwinter said:

Sean_F said:

midwinter said:

midwinter said:

midwinter said:

Sean_F said:

LucyJones said:

nichomar said:

The right of the party - you mean people like Osborne? Who decided that cutting disability benefit at the same time as cuttting higher rate tax was sensible?
  • Options
    ParistondaParistonda Posts: 1,819
    Off the shelf Norway EEA. Put it for a transition period of 5 years from 2019 so it expires in middle of next parliament.

Brexit bill. Pay for all committed projects and other things we are actually on the hook for, that's it. EU will receive funding if we are under Norway model anyway. Maybe chuck in an extra 10 billion if we can have a fig leaf on free movement.

Take this agreement - put it to the parliament. Watch as headbangers vote no but bulk of Lab/LD/SNP MPs vote yes. Be clear and open that this is a soft brexit transition, so that the opposition parties can't get away with voting it down.

We Brexit in 2019 and join EEA. UKIP lose all MEPs and any remaining political influence. Go to the country in 2021/22 and all parties can present their vision for the future, making it permanent, withdrawing entirely etc. UKIP fail, and tories and labour will likely extend or make indefinite the transitional arrangement.

Voila, Brexit sorted.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Spot on.
  • Options

glw said:

nielh said:

While the last time the non-Blair Labour party won a working majority was in 1966.

Political trends often last a while. What we have had now for a decade is a era of crisis and uncertainty brought on by the effects of globalisation. Its likely to continue.
    The Labour party under Blair was more to right than previous Labour governments but it was still the Labour party. Much like the Conservative party - which was more socially liberal under David Cameron than under Thatcher - was still the Conservative party.

I don't see any of the big two securing comfortable majorities in the foreseeable future.
  • Options
    AR404AR404 Posts: 21
    midwinter said:

midwinter said:

glw said:

nielh said:

Great points, a few self-employed family members were turned off as soon as they heard the no tax rise pledge from 2015 had been reduced to just 'no VAT rise'. They knew what was coming and had no interest in anything else May had to say. They were solid in 2015. It wasn't just the dementia tax hitting a core constituency, this was a huge factor, why would they care about Labour tax rises when they knew NI was going to go up for them at the very least
  • Options

isam said:

Always baffles me how people as odd looking as Barwell have the confidence to be lairy
    The Civil Service likes Barwell.

Make of that what you will...
    If they say he is "a pleasure to work with" then he really is in trouble.
  • Options
    blueblueblueblue Posts: 875

Off the shelf Norway EEA. Put it for a transition period of 5 years from 2019 so it expires in middle of next parliament.

Brexit bill. Pay for all committed projects and other things we are actually on the hook for, that's it. EU will receive funding if we are under Norway model anyway. Maybe chuck in an extra 10 billion if we can have a fig leaf on free movement.

Take this agreement - put it to the parliament. Watch as headbangers vote no but bulk of Lab/LD/SNP MPs vote yes. Be clear and open that this is a soft brexit transition, so that the opposition parties can't get away with voting it down.

We Brexit in 2019 and join EEA. UKIP lose all MEPs and any remaining political influence. Go to the country in 2021/22 and all parties can present their vision for the future, making it permanent, withdrawing entirely etc. UKIP fail, and tories and labour will likely extend or make indefinite the transitional arrangement.

Voila, Brexit sorted.

*Applauds*

I don't think our politics are very similar, but I'd cheer that method of escaping this hell to the rafters.
  • Options
    Trigger warning for Leavers, don't look at the right hand side of the front page of The Observer

https://twitter.com/MsHelicat/status/873632572915449857
  • Options

Voila, Brexit sorted.

Plus I win a hundred quid :-)
  • Options

Sean_F said:

#saveMay
    It is quite funny that the next few years might be dominated by each party doing everything they can to make sure the opposing leader stays in place.
  • Options
    valleyboyvalleyboy Posts: 605

Pulpstar said:

And a big, persistent gender split. Women much more pro-Labour then men, despite the genders of the party leaders. My suspicion is that women are more into issues like health and education and less bothered by IRA/nukes stuff.
    I think the WASPI issue was quite a big thing among women of a certain age.
  • Options

Voila, Brexit sorted.

Events, though. My biggest worry at the moment is China's economy. If they do crash (as we've had various experts tell us is imminent for a few days every year for the last five... and then we just go on and forget the problem entirely after a couple of days) we're surely going to be even more vulnerable than we were with the US housing crash. We've spent the last ten years doing very little to reduce our exposure to such events, and if that hits us and the EU in the middle of Brexit negotiations there will be a mess of epic proportions.
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 1,614

glw said:

nielh said:

I reckon the days of single party big majorities are finished forever in this country. The trend is clear - just falling short, a tiny majority, or coalition. If 40% of the public are willing to embrace the far left, well, the Tories can forget getting a decent majority ever again.

And there are, thank God, enough sane people to stop Labour doing the same.

• Options

midwinter said:

midwinter said:

glw said:

nielh said:

It wasn't the best of campaigns was it.

Still it was probably an accurate indicator to the problems the country will face in the decades to come.
    The problem is unless the Tories keep Corbyn and co out of office those problems are going to be multiplied
    Personally I think Europe is an extravagance the party could have done without getting bogged down with. It's already cost them dear.
    And I'm no europhile. Just don't see the risk politically or economically of a hard Brexit worth the reward. And can't relate to the all consuming passion at the cost of all else it seems to ignite in some. Consequently it's bloody annoying.
  • Options

Voila, Brexit sorted.

How does it stop freedom of movement?
  • Options
    kjohnw said:

question: under the article 50 legislation passed in the last parliament didn't the government frame it parliament gets a vote on the final brexit deal but if parliament rejects the deal we crash out of EU anyway. so hard brexit anyway if deal negotiated is crap

No I thought legally it was framed that there would be no vote to accept it but Davis and May were saying there would be various votes at some stage - referring to the repeal act etc.
  • Options

The right of the party - you mean people like Osborne? Who decided that cutting disability benefit at the same time as cuttting higher rate tax was sensible?

A critical problem is that Thatcher killed the wets, who were also generally europhile. Now you have the social / economic ultra-liberals , and the nationalist - populists, on the other hand, much like the Republicans in the US. The Tories used to be able depend on a critical, third, faction - both aristocratic and moderate, with an ethos of national unity ("one-nationism" obviously ) , and cross-class, national appeal even after '60s.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Voila, Brexit sorted.

It doesn't. It fulfils the letter of the referendum without necessarily giving the anti-migration lot what they want.
  • Options
    sorry, above points should be in quotes, there.

• Options
    DM_AndyDM_Andy Posts: 404

I think we're due a Shad Cab reshuffle tomorrow. I hope it will show a reunification of the PLP.

My fantasy shadow cabinet - allowing Chicken Coupers to get back into the shadow cabinet but not at the expense of the both loyal and good.

Shadow Chancellor - John McDonnell
    Shadow Home Sec - Stella Creasy
    Shadow Foreign Sec - Emily Thornberry
    Shadow Defence - Clive Lewis
    Shadow Justice - Cat Smith
    Shadow Education - Angela Rayner
    Shadow Equalities - Angela Eagle
    Shadow Brexit - Keir Starmer
    Shadow International Trade - Chuka Umunna
    Shadow Business - Yvette Cooper
    Shadow Health - Debbie Abrahams
    Shadow Work and Pensions - Rachel Reeves
    Shadow Transport - Caroline Flint
    Shadow Communities - Tony Lloyd
    Shadow Environment - Sue Hayman
    Shadow International Development - Kate Osamor
    Shadow Culture, Media and Sport - Ben Bradshaw
    Shadow Scotland - Ian Murray
    Shadow Wales - Nia Griffith
    Shadow Northern Ireland - Peter Hain*
    Shadow Chief Secretary to the Treasury - Liz Kendall.
    Shadow Leader of the House - Jess Phillips

* I know he's in the House of Lords but Northern Ireland's going to be an important issue in the next Parliament and Hain already knows the job.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    edited June 2017

Happy that there won't be a Con/DUP coalition, at the very least. Presumably, the DUP told May where to go as far as a coalition arrangement was concerned.

Take your pick - Con-DUP Coalition-Lite .. Con-DUP Pact .. Con-DUP Alliance .. Con-DUP Compact .. Con-DUP Concordat .. God's Will .. Save Ulster From Sodomy Party
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    I see Stewart Jackson, formerly of this parish, is not too thrilled about how the election was conducted:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/live/2017/jun/10/general-election-2017-theresa-may-team-dup-live
  • Options

glw said:

nielh said:

The Labour party under Blair was more to right than previous Labour governments but it was still the Labour party. Much like the Conservative party - which was more socially liberal under David Cameron than under Thatcher - was still the Conservative party.

I don't see any of the big two securing comfortable majorities in the foreseeable future.
    If you read Blair's stuff before 1997, he sounds much more to the Left than he later did (e.g., in his 1990s pamphlet on Socialism), or his policy program when in office. Much like Ramsay MacDonald. For politicos I'm sure he was obviously a right-wing shift in Labour, not so sure that was apparent to the voters who don't necessarily think in those terms.
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,019
    JackW said:

Take your pick - Con-DUP Coalition-Lite .. Con-DUP Pact .. Con-DUP Alliance .. Con-DUP Compact .. Con-DUP Concordat .. God's Will ..
    Con-DUP Solemn League and Covenant
  • Options
    You have to say though, the Conservative party is a very different beast to the GOP in America.

Reading that Observer front page (just about) Tory MPs threatening to oppose a Coalition with the DUP on the grounds of their views on gay rights, abortion, and climate change was the reason why a Conservative/DUP coalition did not happen.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Women are proportionally more likely to be employed in and users of the public sector.

I wonder if housing is a bigger concern to young women than it is to young men.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,800
    The Tories have simply one thing to do in government this time around - make sure that Corbyn isn't the next PM. Brexit is important, solvency is important, defence is important, law and order is important - however frankly I don't care what they do with those things - the demolition of the country by Corbyn is something I never wish to see, all other matters are secondary.

Any Tory MP that makes even the slightest peep against Mrs May needs to be consigned to the tower. Of course she won't actually be making the decisions - it'll be the cabinet.

I know it's fashionable to vote for dimwits, but the UK is not in a position to indulge itself with the dangerous variety.

(repost as I posted in error on a stale thread)
  • Options

I see Stewart Jackson, formerly of this parish, is not too thrilled about how the election was conducted:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/live/2017/jun/10/general-election-2017-theresa-may-team-dup-live

I did think he might now spend more time on PB .... Bloody hell .. I demand a recount !!
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,144
    edited June 2017
    Jason said:

glw said:

nielh said:

I reckon the days of single party big majorities are finished forever in this country. The trend is clear - just falling short, a tiny majority, or coalition. If 40% of the public are willing to embrace the far left, well, the Tories can forget getting a decent majority ever again.

And there are, thank God, enough sane people to stop Labour doing the same.

I'm not sure that's right. There were an astonishing number of seats where the Tories polled north of 40% and still lost. There might yet be others that are higher, but so far the prize goes to Stockton South - polling 46.85%, and yet still losing.

It wouldn't take too much of the Tories getting their shit together to win back a raft of seats. Little things like, oh I don't know, not scaring the elderly to death over pensions and inheritance. Maybe saying that no way on God's Earth are they going to support the return of fox-hunting might be another. Not rocket science. Just not fucking Grade-A muppetry either....
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Are we yet at DUP-Con 1?
  • Options
    edited June 2017

Trigger warning for Leavers, don't look at the right hand side of the front page of The Observer

https://twitter.com/MsHelicat/status/873632572915449857

Plenty of Leavers on here would be very happy with that. I think off the top of my head that would include me, RCS, MaxPB and SandyRentoul. Indeed I think you will find the majority of Leavers on here wanted what has been described as a soft Brexit. It was mostly the Remainers on here who kept telling us it was impossible.
  • Options
    EPG said:

JackW said:

Take your pick - Con-DUP Coalition-Lite .. Con-DUP Pact .. Con-DUP Alliance .. Con-DUP Compact .. Con-DUP Concordat .. God's Will ..
    Con-DUP Solemn League and Covenant
    :smiley:
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    You want to know the type of person Theresa May is, and the type of person David Cameron is, this encapsulates it perfectly

Another Conservative has added his name to the list of those fiercely criticising Theresa May’s campaign. On BBC Radio 5 Live, former MP Stewart Jackson, who lost his seat in Peterborough, said the manifesto was “shockingly bad ... lacking passion, it was bland, it lacked vision ... above everything else [it was] a real lost opportunity.”

And he went on:

“Our manifesto was all about what we’ll stop them having and what we’ll not give them and what’s good for them and that’s frankly electoral poison and a complete disaster ... there had not been appropriate consultation on it ... and when you have to explain that you’re not taking food from children’s mouths and taking homes from your core supporters, then you’re losing an election.

His criticisms of May didn’t stop at the manifesto. Since he lost his seat he said that he had heard from David Cameron – but not from May or Conservative chairman Sir Patrick McLoughlin. That, he said, was “quite poor”.
  • Options
    AR404 said:

midwinter said:

midwinter said:

glw said:

nielh said:

Great points, a few self-employed family members were turned off as soon as they heard the no tax rise pledge from 2015 had been reduced to just 'no VAT rise'. They knew what was coming and had no interest in anything else May had to say. They were solid in 2015. It wasn't just the dementia tax hitting a core constituency, this was a huge factor, why would they care about Labour tax rises when they knew NI was going to go up for them at the very least
    The problem is that taxes are going to rise for most and spending and wages aren't.

And politicians are going to be encouraged to make even more unaffordable promises.
  • Options
    JackW said:

Take your pick - Con-DUP Coalition-Lite .. Con-DUP Pact .. Con-DUP Alliance .. Con-DUP Compact .. Con-DUP Concordat .. God's Will .. Save Ulster From Sodomy Party
    - It's what Jesus would have wanted
    - Con/'At least we're not Sinn Fein'
  • Options

Don't know. Doesn't he live in Islington?
    Yes - at least one of his homes.
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,019
    Underrated performers of 2017.
    Theresa May. She won a bigger vote than David Cameron (twice) and a bigger seat tally (once), she just has less photogenic friends and allies to choose from.
    Tim Farron. I would have said the 10-year probability of decease of the Lib Dems was about evens... three days ago. Now it is a lot lower.
    Diane Abbott. She got the message out there that Labour would pay a lot of money for more police - but nobody could remember how much! When law and order came about as a topic, I bet that helped.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

A somewhat nosey question so you don't have to answer.

Do you regret not standing in Broxtowe again ?

And if you had done so do you think you might have won ?
  • Options
    kjohnwkjohnw Posts: 1,456

Mortimer said:

Voila, Brexit sorted.

It doesn't. It fulfils the letter of the referendum without necessarily giving the anti-migration lot what they want.
    but both main parties have said they want to end freedom of movement
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Voila, Brexit sorted.

Why should it?
  • Options
    TypoTypo Posts: 195
    Today my mother, who last year voted leave some gusto, suggested it 'isn't worth all this upheaval'. I do wonder how many people are thinking that right now.
  • Options

Mortimer said:

Voila, Brexit sorted.

Why should it?
    Because Vote Leave said it would?
  • Options
    state_go_awaystate_go_away Posts: 5,422

You want to know the type of person Theresa May is, and the type of person David Cameron is, this encapsulates it perfectly

Another Conservative has added his name to the list of those fiercely criticising Theresa May’s campaign. On BBC Radio 5 Live, former MP Stewart Jackson, who lost his seat in Peterborough, said the manifesto was “shockingly bad ... lacking passion, it was bland, it lacked vision ... above everything else [it was] a real lost opportunity.”

And he went on:

“Our manifesto was all about what we’ll stop them having and what we’ll not give them and what’s good for them and that’s frankly electoral poison and a complete disaster ... there had not been appropriate consultation on it ... and when you have to explain that you’re not taking food from children’s mouths and taking homes from your core supporters, then you’re losing an election.

His criticisms of May didn’t stop at the manifesto. Since he lost his seat he said that he had heard from David Cameron – but not from May or Conservative chairman Sir Patrick McLoughlin. That, he said, was “quite poor”.

He should buck up a bit ! Teresa May probably has been quite busy on other stuff since Thursday.
  • Options
    Omnium said:

The Tories have simply one thing to do in government this time around - make sure that Corbyn isn't the next PM. Brexit is important, solvency is important, defence is important, law and order is important - however frankly I don't care what they do with those things - the demolition of the country by Corbyn is something I never wish to see, all other matters are secondary.

Any Tory MP that makes even the slightest peep against Mrs May needs to be consigned to the tower. Of course she won't actually be making the decisions - it'll be the cabinet.

I know it's fashionable to vote for dimwits, but the UK is not in a position to indulge itself with the dangerous variety.

(repost as I posted in error on a stale thread)

Agreed that that's priority No. 1.

In a purely theoretical sense though, I wonder what the electoral effect of a Corbyn-led, 6 party rainbow minority coalition tackling Brexit would be? I'd hope it would expose his extremism and incompetence to disastrous effect, but on the other hand it might just normalise him and lead to Labour cannibalizing its former partners at the next election...
  • Options

Sean_F said:

#saveMay
    It is quite funny that the next few years might be dominated by each party doing everything they can to make sure the opposing leader stays in place.
    :smiley: indeed. Post of the day, if not the week.
  • Options

isam said:

Always baffles me how people as odd looking as Barwell have the confidence to be lairy
    The Civil Service likes Barwell.

Make of that what you will...
    If they say he is "a pleasure to work with" then he really is in trouble.
    Not saying he is a doormat, but they read WELCOME all over him.....
  • Options
    edited June 2017

And he went on:

He should buck up a bit ! Teresa May probably has been quite busy on other stuff since Thursday.
    Yeh. Tory MPs shouldn't be such delicate flowers as to be bothered by that.

• Options

Mortimer said:

Voila, Brexit sorted.

Exactly. And the key point is that it is made as a transition to be dealt with in the next parliament. In the election in between those who want a hard brexit can put there case forward to the public, and if that party (UKIP, Patriotic Alliance or whatever) actually does win the election, then the public have decided they want to control freedom of movement above all else, and we don't renew it.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,316
    What does everyone feel about the numbers?

Majority with DUP is 13 (ie 328 vs 315).

Now that might sound similar to previous small majorities - ie after 2015 GE, Con had majority of 16.

But the difference is that with that majority of 16 they also then had the DUP to give an additional buffer - so in practice it was much more comfortable.

This time it's 13 and that's it - no other potential support anywhere (other than from Hoey, Field etc on Brexit - but that's only on Brexit).

Now to my mind 13 is just about manageable - but if it starts slipping through by-election losses it could quite quickly become untenable.

Three by-election losses would reduce it to 7 - that feels like the absolute minimum under which they could carry on with any sense of stability - by that I just mean without feeling that the Govt could fall at any moment.

So what does that mean? Reckon to get through the next two years, complete Brexit and then another GE under a new leader? Or if new leader comes in soon would they go for an immediate GE?

I can't imagine this lasting the full five years.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

#saveMay
    Not sure the Tories will have to do anything to keep Corbyn in post. His detractors within the party are utterly discredited. May called the election to 'crush the saboteurs!' but I didn't know she meant the New Labour lot!
  • Options
    state_go_awaystate_go_away Posts: 5,422
    Mortimer said:

And he went on:

Yeh. Tory MPs shouldn't be such delicate flowers as to be bothered by that.

Exactly - get that stiff up lip Sir!
  • Options
    The_TaxmanThe_Taxman Posts: 2,979
    JackW said:

I am surprised that Tim Farron does not want a bit of that action!

Tim Farron might like this song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRHetRTOD1Q
  • Options

Sean_F said:

#saveMay
    Post of the week/year/millennium is already bagged by Mr Herdson......
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,800
    DM_Andy said:

I think we're due a Shad Cab reshuffle tomorrow. I hope it will show a reunification of the PLP.

My fantasy shadow cabinet - allowing Chicken Coupers to get back into the shadow cabinet but not at the expense of the both loyal and good.

* I know he's in the House of Lords but Northern Ireland's going to be an important issue in the next Parliament and Hain already knows the job.
    You'll finish up with about 8/22 there.

Long-Bailey and Burgon will feature somewhere. I don't believe that Kendall, Reeves, Flint, or Bradshaw will have anything to do with Corbyn.
  • Options
    Typo said:

Today my mother, who last year voted leave some gusto, suggested it 'isn't worth all this upheaval'. I do wonder how many people are thinking that right now.

Did I hear something about some, very striking new polls on that coming our way ?
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,431
    Even the socially conservative DUP have a female leader! When will the so-called "progressives" in Labour elect a woman as their leader?
  • Options
    Omnium said:

DM_Andy said:

Long-Bailey and Burgon will feature somewhere. I don't believe that Kendall, Reeves, Flint, or Bradshaw will have anything to do with Corbyn.
    Or Phillips. And nor should they. Why appoint people to a position if you know they'll be thinking about quitting to try and destabilise your leadership at critical points in our political history, rather than actually doing the job...
  • Options
    MyBurningEarsMyBurningEars Posts: 3,651

Sean_F said:

#saveMay
    Post of the week/year/millennium is already bagged by Mr Herdson......
    That, and the reaction to it, was one of the greatest PB moments of all time.

For drama and tension it was beaten by BJO's heart-rending posts from a Tunisian hotel being attacked by terrorists.

But for political shock value (that you could have made a lot of money on had you followed it!) nothing could beat it!
  • Options
    kjohnw said:

Mortimer said:

Voila, Brexit sorted.

Oh I agree they have. That is the circle they are going to have to square. In fact I don't think I will win my bet nor get the type of Brexit I want. I just like the fact that the possibility keeps popping up every once in a while.
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Voila, Brexit sorted.

Why should it?
    Because Vote Leave said it would?
    They also promised 350m extra a week to the NHS.
  • Options
    MikeL said:

What does everyone feel about the numbers?

Majority with DUP is 13 (ie 328 vs 315).

Now that might sound similar to previous small majorities - ie after 2015 GE, Con had majority of 16.

But the difference is that with that majority of 16 they also then had the DUP to give an additional buffer - so in practice it was much more comfortable.

This time it's 13 and that's it - no other potential support anywhere (other than from Hoey, Field etc on Brexit - but that's only on Brexit).

Now to my mind 13 is just about manageable - but if it starts slipping through by-election losses it could quite quickly become untenable.

Three by-election losses would reduce it to 7 - that feels like the absolute minimum under which they could carry on with any sense of stability - by that I just mean without feeling that the Govt could fall at any moment.

So what does that mean? Reckon to get through the next two years, complete Brexit and then another GE under a new leader? Or if new leader comes in soon would they go for an immediate GE?

I can't imagine this lasting the full five years.

I did the same calculation and wondered the exact same thing today. Unless Brexit breaks down irrevocably and forces an immediate GE, the best thing would be to make May carry the can and get Brexit through by 2019, then install a new leader who knows how to campaign for a honeymoon GE thereafter. Labour won't refuse an election at any point in this Parliament, regardless of the polls!
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,359
    Typo said:

Very many - indeed I believe a majority
  • Options
    kjohnw said:

Mortimer said:

Voila, Brexit sorted.

Given the current parliament, a suitable transition is needed. No party has won a majority and the right to implement its manifesto in full. A simple solution is needed for the time being, as a tailored solution requires the type of large majority that was expressly rejected by the electorate. Next election those parties can decide if they want to go for a hard brexit and try and win a majority on that basis.

Besides, as I said we could bung the EU an extra 10 billion for tinkering around the edges with FoM.
  • Options

Omnium said:

DM_Andy said:

Or Phillips. And nor should they. Why appoint people to a position if you know they'll be thinking about quitting to try and destabilise your leadership at critical points in our political history, rather than actually doing the job...
    I see Chris Leslie has attacked Corbyn again today as well. The idea that all is well in the Labour Party is simply fantasy.
  • Options
    Isn't cometh what usually gets Boris into trouble?
This discussion has been closed.