Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Ideas, events and people. What the Conservatives need to do ne

SystemSystem Posts: 11,700
edited June 2017 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Ideas, events and people. What the Conservatives need to do next

Theresa May is under enormous pressure following her failure to win an overall majority.  Straw-laden pitchforks are being doused with petrol, the pearl-handled revolver is being polished.  She cannot continue, it is being said. She’s lost all her authority, anonymous briefings growl.  The question that exercises many is whether she should go at once or later.  Different names are being touted as her replacement (one suspects by the would-be replacements).

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,289
    Offer Corbyn a Grand Coalition for a Brexit deal, a doctor's mandate to fix the UK.
  • Options
    RobinWiggsRobinWiggs Posts: 621
    Second - like the national interest.
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    fpt;

"For a year and more the Daily Mail's editor towered over this country and a craven Tory party did his bidding. Now the electorate has stood up to him"

https://www.byline.com/column/68/article/1721

Tomorrow's MoS will be interesting. Does Grieg want May to go? I sense he does.

Compare and contrast with Monday's DM for lolz.
  • Options
    RobinWiggsRobinWiggs Posts: 621
    FPT

kyf_100 said:

atia2 said:

MaxPB said:

Theresa should have had an alternative speech on Friday morning.

"Last night was a difficult night for myself and my party, though we finished with more votes than the opposition and the most seats in Parliament, it is clear that the British public have not given us their full endorsement for our Brexit plan. For that reason I will resign as party leader and PM once I have put a queens speech through parliament and trigger a leadership election within the Conservative party. I will stay on as PM and leader in the interim and will ask Labour's Brexit representative Kier Starmer to join a cross party Brexit negotiation committee to get the process of Brexit started before the next PM has been elected by my party."

That speech would have salvaged what little she has left of her reputation. Instead she is shaming our party and country by clinging on.
    I agree that would have been the right move. Unfortunately it would have required a Tory to put their country ahead of their party. Never gonna happen.
    Sad but true. A huge +1 for MaxPB's post.
    It was a good comment.
    It was indeed a good suggestion. I said something similar was needed on a counter-terrorism review commission in the wake of London Bridge.

Sadly it would also require the Labour party to put country above party and join in a non-partisan way.

I fear neither party has the vision to see this at present - but it would be both the right thing to do, and also play very well with the voters at large.

It goes like this:

"OK folks, the country is deeply divided and divisive at present - Brexit, security, NHS and social care challenges. Leadership is about bringing the best talents together to solve problems in the national interest - and I am inviting Labour and the devolved administrations to join me in non-partisan commissions over the next 2 years to discuss and identify common ground on each. This will be the essence of my Queens Speech and I invite the other parties to support me".

Zero to hero overnight. It saves her bacon for 2 years, and gives a platform for the next election that is detoxified. Most importantly it gives the chance in an unsettled parliament with a clearly restive electorate to make progress on contentious issues.

• Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 3,963
    dr_spyn said:

Offer Corbyn a Grand Coalition for a Brexit deal, a doctor's mandate to fix the UK.

It's the best option. Sticking Corbyn in as deputy PM as part of a grand coalition agreement sounds like madness at first thought, but for the Tories it makes sure Labour are as tied to the final outcome of Brexit as they are and is a way of governing without the toxic DUP. Both leaders also get to look all statesmanlike and putting their country above party. What's not to like?
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,792
    edited June 2017
    Theresa May is also a lone wolf.
    If Davis doesn't have the qualities to bring the party, she also doesn't have them, in spades.

She doesn't even seem to be able to spot a really, really bad idea when it's plonked in front of her.

Otherwise an eminently sensible analysis.
    (& I acknowledge the serious difficulties of replacing a prime minister in such a situation - but it is I am afraid necessary.)
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,002
    Qualifying starts at 6pm. Pre-race ramble will be up tomorrow morning. The pre-qualifying wittering, including a tip, is here:
    http://enormo-haddock.blogspot.co.uk/2017/06/canada-pre-qualifying-2017.html

FPT: Mr. P, glad the Hamster seems to be ok.

Mr. 83, not played it, but heard much about it. Seems pretty popular.

• Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,403

FPT

kyf_100 said:

atia2 said:

MaxPB said:

"Last night was a difficult night for myself and my party, though we finished with more votes than the opposition and the most seats in Parliament, it is clear that the British public have not given us their full endorsement for our Brexit plan. For that reason I will resign as party leader and PM once I have put a queens speech through parliament and trigger a leadership election within the Conservative party. I will stay on as PM and leader in the interim and will ask Labour's Brexit representative Kier Starmer to join a cross party Brexit negotiation committee to get the process of Brexit started before the next PM has been elected by my party."

That speech would have salvaged what little she has left of her reputation. Instead she is shaming our party and country by clinging on.
    I agree that would have been the right move. Unfortunately it would have required a Tory to put their country ahead of their party. Never gonna happen.
    It was a good comment.
    It was indeed a good suggestion. I said something similar was needed on a counter-terrorism review commission in the wake of London Bridge.

Sadly it would also require the Labour party to put country above party and join in a non-partisan way.

I fear neither party has the vision to see this at present - but it would be both the right thing to do, and also play very well with the voters at large.

It goes like this:

"OK folks, the country is deeply divided and divisive at present - Brexit, security, NHS and social care challenges. Leadership is about bringing the best talents together to solve problems in the national interest - and I am inviting Labour and the devolved administrations to join me in non-partisan commissions over the next 2 years to discuss and identify common ground on each. This will be the essence of my Queens Speech and I invite the other parties to support me".

Zero to hero overnight. It saves her bacon for 2 years, and gives a platform for the next election that is detoxified. Most importantly it gives the chance in an unsettled parliament with a clearly restive electorate to make progress on contentious issues.

Yebbut..why would Lab agree? They would be supporting the Cons when they believe they have a uniquely better vision of how to run the country. At every election there is a case to be made for doing the same thing and I don't think it's the way party politics works..
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071
    Much more interesting than any of this: England require another 70 runs with 6 wickets and 15 overs left.
  • Options
    On-topic: what the Conservatives need is an Alexius Comnenus type, an arch-diplomat who knows when the push and when not to, and is adept at handling competing interests.

Someone flexible, with foresight and intelligence.

Unfortunately, Alexius Comnenus has been dead for almost a thousand years, and also isn't a Conservative MP.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,872
    Great thread header and totally chimes with my contributions to the last thread.

We like May best when she's grey and in the background. So get back there and let others do the reaching out and the healing.

The last thing we want is another bloody election - leadership or otherwise.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,203

On-topic: what the Conservatives need is an Alexius Comnenus type, an arch-diplomat who knows when the push and when not to, and is adept at handling competing interests.

Unfortunately, Alexius Comnenus has been dead for almost a thousand years, and also isn't a Conservative MP.

Which historic battle did the election turn out to be?
  • Options
    DanSmithDanSmith Posts: 1,215
    https://twitter.com/heidiallen75/status/873572873469820928

Must be close to there being more Tory MPs openly against DUP support than there are DUP MPs, thus making any agreement pointless.
  • Options

FPT

kyf_100 said:

atia2 said:

MaxPB said:

It was a good comment.

It goes like this:

I also see some sense in that.
    Except the chances of May choosing that avenue seem slim indeed.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,986
    When in doubt, don't

Theresa May is probably, almost certainly, much better at getting on with the day job than coping with the showbiz of a campaign. That does make me wonder why she called the Election!
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,016
    DanSmith said:

Must be close to there being more Tory MPs openly against DUP support than there are DUP MPs, thus making any agreement pointless.

No it's like Ruth Davidson asking for Brexit to be looked at again.

Call for something that is definitely going to happen (e.g. different Brexit, no coalition) and claim it makes you influential.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

A Pyrric draw.

• Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388
    DanSmith said:

When is an agreement not an agreement?

Tory MPs won't want the DUP setting the agenda. It's not about C&S. It's about the deal.

They think no deal is better than a bad deal. But there may be (unlike Brexit) a far more workable arrangement.
  • Options
    Mr. 86, it was exactly the Battle of Zama, which was also the best result included for Labour.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,778
    What this points to is a Prime Minister who is effectively able to manage all of the Conservative factions and to reach out to those outside the party to form alliances as necessary. Their personal authority is less important than their ability to manage shifting groups and to sell compromises to them.

Theresa May is incapable of doing any of that, so it rules her out ...
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,763

they need Basil the Bulgar slayer
  • Options
    edited June 2017

Great thread header and totally chimes with my contributions to the last thread.

We like May best when she's grey and in the background. So get back there and let others do the reaching out and the healing.

Did you mean

Great thread header because it totally chimes with my contributions to the last thread

? :wink:
  • Options
    isam said:

When in doubt, don't

Theresa May is probably, almost certainly, much better at getting on with the day job than coping with the showbiz of a campaign. That does make me wonder why she called the Election!

Answered it yourself really. May (and a lot others) had no doubt she would win and win big at that.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,127
    I think May should stay PM for the time being, the DUP will back her and Cameron and Callaghan led governments without a parliamentary majority for years. Gillard did the same in Australia and Harper in Canada under the Westminster style system. However the Tories should pick a different leader for the next election
  • Options
    David_EvershedDavid_Evershed Posts: 6,506
    DanSmith said:

Heidi Allen is a Lib Dem in the Conservative party colours for some reason. Expect her to defect.
  • Options
    Tor91Tor91 Posts: 3
    This is accurate:

"What this points to is a Prime Minister who is effectively able to manage all of the Conservative factions and to reach out to those outside the party to form alliances as necessary."

The logical conclusion is not that May is that Prime Minister - clearly the election and its aftermath have shown she is not. A full and open leadership contest would allow the possibility of a more junior minister to shine. It seems the only way to avoid the pitfalls of May and the other core Cabinet members.

Of course the problem with that is the ticking clock on Brexit. But it's not clear that we are better served in negotiations with a leader whose mandate is weak, domestic support is lacking and international credibility is shot to pieces.

Time for Theresa to go.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,203

Mr. 86, it was exactly the Battle of Zama, which was also the best result included for Labour.

So does that make Theresa May Hannibal?
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,061
    DanSmith said:

Good on them. It's a terrible idea to bring the DUP into government, and may have some rather unfortunate long-term consequences, not the least for the Conservatives.

It's a disaster waiting to happen. In one move May's utterly retoxifying the Tories.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    Assuming she makes it, the first PMQs is going to be fun. What are the back-benchers going to ask?

"Does the PM agree that we have a Strong and Stable mandate for Brexit?"

Ummmm
  • Options
    GeoffHGeoffH Posts: 56
    tlg86 said:

The signs are not good. First of all a formal coalition with the DUP is crackers...as are the DUP.

Worse stil:

http://www.independent.co.uk/

In the F8ck*ng Cabinet ???????

I'd rather see Corbyn struggling in govt from his minority position
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

I think May should stay PM for the time being, the DUP will back her and Cameron and Callaghan led governments without a parliamentary majority for years. Gillard did the same in Australia and Harper in Canada under the Westminster style system. However the Tories should pick a different leader for the next election

Callaghan would be a worrying precedent for the Tory party and Cameron led a coalition while in ascendancy not in free fall.
  • Options
    DaveWDaveW Posts: 7
    My view also made elsewhere is similar to here. 1. Reach out to moderate Labour people by inviting Keri Stammer onto Brexit team and Yvette Cooper onto a National Security Council. 2. Abandon Social care policy 3. Commit to recruiting 20000 (not just 10k) police and apologise for getting this so wrong. 4. Look at other opportunities to listen and respond inc jnfreezinb public sector pay, guaranteeing EU citizens residency rights etch. Nb from a political perspective it doesn't matter do much if the generous offer is refused as that it is offered.
  • Options
    edited June 2017

isam said:

When in doubt, don't

Answered it yourself really. May (and a lot others) had no doubt she would win and win big at that.
    Or she was worried about the CPS expenses issue?

Taking a step back and looking at the last three GE results, it seems the British public default want Conservatives to be the largest party without the confidence to get too lairy, and the rest is just noise

• Options

DanSmith said:

Good on them. It's a terrible idea to bring the DUP into government, and may have some rather unfortunate long-term consequences, not the least for the Conservatives.

It's a disaster waiting to happen. In one move May's utterly retoxifying the Tories.
    I agree if they are in the Cabinet.

But I sense this is outriding.
  • Options
    isam said:

isam said:

When in doubt, don't

Taking a step back and looking at the last three GE results, it seems the British public default want Conservatives to be the largest party without the confidence to get too lairy

Yet again they would prefer a Labour manifesto and a Conservative government
  • Options
    Mr. Jessop, quite, though it appears the average Conservative MP is rather more sensible than the MayBot.

Mr. 86, no more than it makes Corbyn Scipio Africanus.

Mr. Borough, the Conservative problem is they have the succession difficulties without the three fantastic emperors (Nicephorus II Phocas, John Tzimisces, Basil II).

Mr. B, Asculum and Heraclea were both on the list (the battle Pyrrhus lost, Beneventum, was not).
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,085

isam said:

isam said:

When in doubt, don't

Taking a step back and looking at the last three GE results, it seems the British public default want Conservatives to be the largest party without the confidence to get too lairy

Yet again they would prefer a Labour manifesto and a Conservative government
    So they want New Labour?
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,563

they need Basil the Bulgar slayer
    I fit that role.

I am willing to serve my country and party.
  • Options
    GeoffH said:

tlg86 said:

The signs are not good. First of all a formal coalition with the DUP is crackers...as are the DUP.

Worse stil:

Every minute the Conservatives remain shackled to the DUP will lose them another swathe of moderate voters.

I would hope that a reasonable number of cabinet members would resign and refuse to serve if DUP people are appointed to cabinet.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,408
    Lack of viable alternative does not make someone "the right person for the job". As we have just been shown.
  • Options
    DadgeDadge Posts: 2,038
    TOPPING said:

FPT

kyf_100 said:

atia2 said:

MaxPB said:

It was a good comment.

It goes like this:

Yebbut..why would Lab agree? They would be supporting the Cons when they believe they have a uniquely better vision of how to run the country. At every election there is a case to be made for doing the same thing and I don't think it's the way party politics works..
    On the one issue of Brexit, which was campaigned on across party lines and decided by a non-party referendum, there should be a cross-party team. (In hindsight I don't know why the government decided to take this poisoned chalice by itself.) I don't think Labour would say no. The rest of politics would be business as usual.
  • Options
    Mr. Eagles, not sure I see you as a Basil II.

Anyway, I am off and shall return tomorrow. Possibly with tips.
  • Options
    isam said:

isam said:

When in doubt, don't

I do think that along with the under 35 uprising the anti Tory landslide vote was probably enormous. A not hugely political guy I know would mention it any time politics was brought up 'I can't stand Corbyn but landslides are always a bad idea'. May's campaigning strategy was to shout continuously about how she wanted the biggest landslide possible to empower her. To anyone not sold on May as God-Emperor that was a huge turn off.
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    tlg86 said:

So does that make Theresa May Hannibal?
    God yes, a lucky and vastly and overrated general who got lucky facing inept opponents.

When finally faced with a decent opponent, got absolutely creamed.

Poor Carthage, poor Tory party.
  • Options
    Don't blame the Conservatives for going into an agreement with the DUP.

That's what the electorate voted for - blame them.
  • Options
    blueblueblueblue Posts: 875
    isam said:

isam said:

When in doubt, don't

Taking a step back and looking at the last three GE results, it seems the British public default want Conservatives to be the largest party without the confidence to get too lairy, and the rest is just noise

Yes, the range of Tory seats since 2010 (306 > 330 > 318) is incredibly narrow, as indeed is the Labour range (256 > 232 > 262).
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,138
    I don't know. Does this talk about a formal coalition with the DUP mean that's what the DUP is demanding? Or is it expectation management, so that when an informal arrangement is made people will be relieved and will accept it?

If the DUP are demanding it, why not call their bluff? Are they going to force another election, after which they would probably have very little influence?
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    kyf_100 said:

GeoffH said:

tlg86 said:

Worse stil:

Every minute the Conservatives remain shackled to the DUP will lose them another swathe of moderate voters.

I would hope that a reasonable number of cabinet members would resign and refuse to serve if DUP people are appointed to cabinet.
    I don't think the DUP want cabinet positions.
  • Options
    kyf_100 said:

dr_spyn said:

It's the best option. Sticking Corbyn in as deputy PM as part of a grand coalition agreement sounds like madness at first thought, but for the Tories it makes sure Labour are as tied to the final outcome of Brexit as they are and is a way of governing without the toxic DUP. Both leaders also get to look all statesmanlike and putting their country above party. What's not to like?
    That it makes no sense for Labour to be trapped like this? Except to Tories.
  • Options

By that logic surely we could say the electorate voted for a Con / Lab coalition?
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,305
    GeoffH said:

tlg86 said:

Worse stil:

You are s***ing us, surely?
  • Options
    scotslassscotslass Posts: 912
    Alastair

Nicely written but you miss the obvious point. She has no authority left and cannot continue.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

The Italian invasion of Greece? Without any Germans able to come to the rescue.
  • Options

GeoffH said:

tlg86 said:

Worse stil:

It's from the Independent, so hardly a good source.
  • Options
    kyf_100 said:

GeoffH said:

tlg86 said:

Worse stil:

And what's more sending the Chief Whip to Belfast on a Saturday? The DUPers won't talk over the Sabbath. It seems May not only as a tin ear but a tin brain as well.

Hour by hour, she looks ever more useless. I despair.
  • Options

GeoffH said:

tlg86 said:

Worse stil:

Mother hubbard.

Theresa May considering formal coalition which could mean cabinet positions for DUP MPs

The Government Chief Whip is in Belfast for discussions which include the possibility of formal coalition

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/theresa-may-conservative-dup-coalition-formal-cabinet-positions-northern-irish-mps-democratic-a7783741.html
  • Options

DanSmith said:

If you're against this then instinctively I start to think that it must be sensible.
  • Options

By that logic surely we could say the electorate voted for a Con / Lab coalition?
    Or a Con/LD coalition. Or a Con/SNP coalition. Of course, people vote for parties, not hung parliaments and hypothetical coalitions.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Did any of these do so after losing a majority in an election?
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,993

DanSmith said:

Heidi Allen is a Lib Dem in the Conservative party colours for some reason. Expect her to defect.
    But that kind of stereotyping ignores the fact there are huge numbers of Tory supporters who think a formal deal with the DUP is the worst idea since Noah's neighbour decided to buy an umbrella.

May should go for minority Government and informal support for the Queen's speech. Anything more than that and she is just making a bad situation worse.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,250
    IanB2 said:

tlg86 said:

The Italian invasion of Greece? Without any Germans able to come to the rescue.
    But Tessy does have the Huns..
  • Options
    DaveWDaveW Posts: 7
    The question is if MaxPG, RobinWiggs and me could spot the obvious response and speech do obviously ( it went straight ghrough my mjnd as soon as I saw the exit poll) surel some one in Downing St must have thought the same. Meanwhkle Labour are doing exactly what I would in their position continuing to campaign and making it about momentum and moral legitimacy not just numbers
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,305

GeoffH said:

tlg86 said:

Worse stil:

Mother hubbard.

Theresa May considering formal coalition which could mean cabinet positions for DUP MPs

The Government Chief Whip is in Belfast for discussions which include the possibility of formal coalition

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/theresa-may-conservative-dup-coalition-formal-cabinet-positions-northern-irish-mps-democratic-a7783741.html
    ...and everyone thought the Irish issue was uniquely toxic to Corbyn?
  • Options
    edited June 2017

No, every party tries to get a majority with the party most like them eg Cameron and the LDs, May and the DUP, Gillard and Sturgeon and the Greens etc Merkel did a deal with the FDP in 2009, it was only when the CDU and FDP did not have a majority she had to do a deal with the SPD. Though personally I would prefer confidence and supply with the DUP than a formal coalition
  • Options
    jonny83jonny83 Posts: 1,261

Agreed, well said!
  • Options
    HaroldOHaroldO Posts: 1,185

GeoffH said:

tlg86 said:

Worse stil:

Mother hubbard.

D:
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    Nigelb said:

FPT

kyf_100 said:

atia2 said:

MaxPB said:

"Last night

It was a good comment.

It goes like this:

May is not going to change her spots. She has never been one to consult or listen on policy.

For that policy to work, there needs to be a different PM.

The EU would agree to stop the clock if needed, while we try to get sorted.
  • Options

GeoffH said:

tlg86 said:

Worse stil:

Mother hubbard.

I'd rather see Corbyn become PM than Sammy fucking Wilson and his ilk become cabinet ministers.

Get fucked Theresa, you're a fucking pox on our party and country.
  • Options
    DadgeDadge Posts: 2,038
    kyf_100 said:

dr_spyn said:

If we're being realistic this is going too far. And Tories can govern without a formal agreement with DUP or Labour. Personally I like the idea of a grand coalition like Merkel has had for many years, but I think it'd be very difficult to make work here, especially while Corbyn is Labour leader. The Tories should be able to govern, ie. mainly get their budget through, without too much difficulty, and it won't be a big loss if the legislative programme is very light. Cross-party work can be arranged on key issues, eg. Brexit, terrorism, social care, without the need for a formal coalition.
  • Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,215
    Of the current cabinet members, my preference for the next leader would be:

Greg Clark
    Amber Rudd
    David Mundell (If we can't have Ruth, why not?)

All three are non-tribalists within the party and team players.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,986

DanSmith said:

But that kind of stereotyping ignores the fact there are huge numbers of Tory supporters who think a formal deal with the DUP is the worst idea since Noah's neighbour decided to buy an umbrella.

May should go for minority Government and informal support for the Queen's speech. Anything more than that and she is just making a bad situation worse.
    The DUP might not give such support...
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,872

Nigelb said:

FPT

kyf_100 said:

atia2 said:

MaxPB said:

"Last night

It was a good comment.

It goes like this:

May is not going to change her spots. She has never been one to consult or listen on policy.

For that policy to work, there needs to be a different PM.

The EU would agree to stop the clock if needed, while we try to get sorted.
    The great irony now is if you want Brexit, you need to now think about asking for help from the EU.

Chortle.
  • Options
    Chris said:

Or a Con/LD coalition. Or a Con/SNP coalition. Of course, people vote for parties, not hung parliaments and hypothetical coalitions.
    Though I do actually think think a Con LD coalition was something a lot of voters would have supported even in 2015 (and possibly 2017) ironically enough for the Lib Dems. Though that may just be a sign of who I speak to.
  • Options

GeoffH said:

tlg86 said:

Worse stil:

Mother hubbard.

I'd rather see Corbyn become PM than Sammy fucking Wilson and his ilk become cabinet ministers.

Have you seen an advance copy of the front page of Monday's Evening Standard?
  • Options
    Still nothing on the Cabinet reshuffle (which says everything about the PM's weakness: surely even she could fire Liz Truss!!
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

DanSmith said:

Then they can justify putting Corbyn in number 10 to their supporters?
  • Options
    edited June 2017

HYUFD said:

Callaghan would be a worrying precedent for the Tory party and Cameron led a coalition while in ascendancy not in free fall.
    Callaghan followed 2 snap elections, it took Labour under Wilson two elections in Feb 1974 when they were largest party in a hung parliament and October 1974 when they got a small majority to get a majority and this year may be similar
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

DanSmith said:

Tell them back us, or you'll get Corbyn as Prime Minister.

How'd you fancy Lord Ken Livingstone as Northern Ireland Secretary?
  • Options
    JonathanDJonathanD Posts: 2,400
    JohnO said:

Greg Clark
    Amber Rudd

Greg Clark always seems a bit anonymous to me. Is he any good at leading / inspiring?
  • Options
    JohnO said:

Still nothing on the Cabinet reshuffle (which says everything about the PM's weakness: surely even she could fire Liz Truss!!

Possibly without even thanking her for her support ...
  • Options

DanSmith said:

+1
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

kyf_100 said:

dr_spyn said:

That it makes no sense for Labour to be trapped like this? Except to Tories.
    It would be smart for the Tories to at least offer it.

It enables them to retake the initiative, puts Labour on the back foot and in a position of either accepting the offer or refusing and appearing to put party before country.

Assuming there would then be an election within the next few months, it neutralises the 'Tories gave you a coalition of chaos with far-right extremists' line.

Trying to struggle on in coalition with the DUP makes no sense at all. It is electoral poison and could easily see Scots Tories split entirely.

The likes of Hammond, Rudd, Boris etc, could do a lot worse right now than to resign and refuse to serve in any cabinet in which there is a formal coalition with the DUP.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,370

GeoffH said:

tlg86 said:

Worse stil:

Mother hubbard.

I think the general view is that this is all about shoring up her position rather than acting in the interests of the country or the party. I do not think she will be able to sell this even if she reaches an agreement.
  • Options
    edited June 2017

GeoffH said:

tlg86 said:

Worse stil:

Mother hubbard.

That post loses credibility at two significant points:

Use of the word "could". Never ever bother reading any article past the word "could". Or replace it with "won't". It simply means that someone is writing something to fill a space or because they are paid by the word.

Also "independent". Apart from a mild surprise that they still exist ... they might be just a blog now? They are very unlikely to have their fingers on the pulse of No10 thinking.

But mostly the "could" thing.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,894
    edited June 2017
    Theresa May is done. On that I think we can (nearly) all agree.

What happens after she's gone is another matter... I suspect it will involve lots and lots of spades and soil to bury Brexit.

Brexit 2016-2017. RIP.
  • Options
    GeoffH said:

DanSmith said:

+1
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,061
    GeoffM said:

DanSmith said:

If you're against this then instinctively I start to think that it must be sensible.
    Thanks. God to know I'm a bellwether for someone. ;)

But seriously: I'm the sort of person the Conservatives should be trying to attract. Insulting voters is never a good idea.
  • Options
    GeoffM said:

GeoffH said:

tlg86 said:

Worse stil:

Mother hubbard.

Use of the word "could". Never ever bother reading any article past the word "could". Or replace it with "won't". It simply means that someone is writing something to fill a space or because they are paid by the word.

Also "independent". Apart from a mild surprise that they still exist ... they might be just a blog now? They are very unlikely to have their fingers on the pulse of No10 thinking.

Brexit could still happen.
  • Options
    GeoffM said:

GeoffH said:

tlg86 said:

Worse stil:

Mother hubbard.

Other news organisations have it as well.
  • Options
    JohnO said:

Waiting for the two DUP Cabinet nominees?
  • Options

GeoffH said:

DanSmith said:

+1
    +2
  • Options
    Chris said:

GeoffH said:

tlg86 said:

Worse stil:

Mother hubbard.

Have you seen an advance copy of the front page of Monday's Evening Standard?
    Who do you think writes them ? :lol:
  • Options
    JonathanD said:

JohnO said:

Greg Clark
    Amber Rudd

Greg Clark always seems a bit anonymous to me. Is he any good at leading / inspiring?
    I'm afraid the Cabinet as a whole is somewhat deficient in the inspiration department. But Clark is agreeable and does 'normal' well. David Mundell is probably better but possibly too junior. On the other hand a moderate Scottish Tory leader....
  • Options
    TypoTypo Posts: 195

DanSmith said:

I'm sorry but I think that is nonsense. She is a moderate and considering how recently she was elected if she had wanted to join and run for the Liberal Democrats I am sure she should could have. She is merely articulating what doubtless many MPs will be thinking and many party members and Conservative voters would agree with.

The idea of working cross-party at a time when no party seems able to achieve a majority of any significance is pragmatic. Such cooperation would no doubt be welcomed by the country as a whole, particularly on an issue such a social care which is clearly becoming something of a national crisis.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,986

Pulpstar said:

DanSmith said:

Tell them back us, or you'll get Corbyn as Prime Minister.

How'd you fancy Lord Ken Livingstone as Northern Ireland Secretary?
    Threatening to blow your own head off with a shotgun isn't a negotiating tactic :)
  • Options
    JohnO said:

Hearing that she might be bringing in Alan Duncan as party chairman might be the only change
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

GeoffM said:

GeoffH said:

tlg86 said:

Worse stil:

Mother hubbard.

Brexit could still happen.
    In the case of your comment I refer to my second reason to ignore: crap source
  • Options
    JohnO said:

JonathanD said:

JohnO said:

Greg Clark
    Amber Rudd

I'm afraid the Cabinet as a whole is somewhat deficient in the inspiration department. But Clark is agreeable and does 'normal' well. David Mundell is probably better but possibly too junior. On the other hand a moderate Scottish Tory leader....
    I hope to publish a thread tomorrow that says Theresa's replacement should be someone outside of the cabinet.

I'm suggesting three names, one of you will like very much.
This discussion has been closed.