Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » A Labour view as the campaign draws to a close

Comments

• Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    edited June 2017
    AndyJS said:

ICM: 11% lead
    Survation: 1% lead

Not very helpful from a betting point of view.

Well, again, it comes down to whether you assume young people (and the other low-turnout groups) really haven't been any more enthused by Corbyn than they were by Miliband, and really aren't going to turn out on Thursday.

Remember that even ICM found only a 4% Tory lead before they applied their turnout weightings.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,849

Nigelb said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Nigelb said:

HaroldO said:

Awww Peter Sallis. Aside from Wallace he was also good in the original Ice Warriors story in Doctor Who with Patrick Troughton.
    I remember he best in Last of the Summer Wine, the show itself was awful but I used to watch it when I was a lad with my grandparents. Cocoa and Cleggy.

Some here will be pleased to learn he once played Samuel Pepys - though I can think of only one of us who might be old enough to have seen it...
    This morning my daughter saw a picture of James II and asked if it was Samuel Pepys... 5 year olds these days...
    I'm impressed she was even aware of them!
    Her favourite bedtime story is the Fire of London catalogue from the Museum of London...
    I'm more of a room on the broom man myself.
    It's sad how the innocence has gone out of life. I immediately assumed "room on the broom" was a euphemism for some repulsively depraved act akin to TSE's changing at Baker Street.
    Ha. I still haven't googled that. Room on the broom is so good I even practise the voices in my head when the grandchildren aren't here.
    Is that the same author as the legendary "A squash and a squeeze" ? I read it so many times to Fox jr that I could probably still recite it from memory.
    I still feel Dr Seuss' I Had Trouble in Getting to Solla Sollew has never been bettered...
    Green Eggs and Ham!

and of course "Fox in Socks"
    Great, but they lack the philosophical depth of his masterpiece.

• Options
    BromptonautBromptonaut Posts: 1,113
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

What is it with left wingers and violence on behalf of the State? It is the most stark contrast between their student union right on fantasies, and the real world.

The kind of fantasy where Michael Adebolajo and Michael Adebowale were disabled, arrested, put on trial and convicted I guess.
    Different circs.
    Knife wielding Islamist terrorists in that case. Yeah, chalk and cheese.

• Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388
    AndyJS said:

Imagine if all the polls were right, all of the time.

Very limited betting opportunities.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    "Matthew Goodwin‏ @GoodwinMJ 4h4 hours ago

So with only 3 days to go almost every major/serious analyst forecasts a Con majority, an outcome that is 1.27 on betting markets. Riiiight."
  • Options
    paulyork64paulyork64 Posts: 2,461
    rcs1000 said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Nigelb said:

HaroldO said:

Awww Peter Sallis. Aside from Wallace he was also good in the original Ice Warriors story in Doctor Who with Patrick Troughton.
    I remember he best in Last of the Summer Wine, the show itself was awful but I used to watch it when I was a lad with my grandparents. Cocoa and Cleggy.

Some here will be pleased to learn he once played Samuel Pepys - though I can think of only one of us who might be old enough to have seen it...
    This morning my daughter saw a picture of James II and asked if it was Samuel Pepys... 5 year olds these days...
    Her favourite bedtime story is the Fire of London catalogue from the Museum of London...
    It's sad how the innocence has gone out of life. I immediately assumed "room on the broom" was a euphemism for some repulsively depraved act akin to TSE's changing at Baker Street.
    Why is changing at Baker Street depraved? (And I'm talking about the sex act
    I've googled it now and it reminds me of my favourite (well only) Steve Davis joke.
  • Options
    KentRisingKentRising Posts: 2,850
    That is incredible. Love the song!
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,061

Going back to earlier threads, if Corbyn ends up with less than 200 seats but, as YouGov are predicting, Labour win Canterbury, would he survive as leader?

Under 200 and I think he struggles.
  • Options
    The_ApocalypseThe_Apocalypse Posts: 7,830
    kle4 said:

It's incredible. Even with a good Labour campaign and a bad Tory campaign, given we know the poor Labour scores were at least partly reflected in the reality of elections, I cannot fathom such shifts even if those shifts are only so extreme in polls, and not produced in the final result.

Its the sort of thing that makes you go 'Well, ok, I don't think it will happen to that extent, but clearly there has been a huge movement that way'. Of course itmight just total nonsense, but my brain doesn't seem able to see something without ascribing it the weight of evidence, that I cannot just discount.

Every single thing that people, even left wingers and false flaggers (the loonies who suggest that it was 'convenient' terrorist events happen, presuming it will help the Tories), think will aid the Tories, does not seem to make a difference to Labour surging or not.

And I was just feeling able to relax again and all. Sigh.

Today you've had two polls which do not show the surge continuing, and one which shows that most UKIP voters will opt for the Tories and you've chosen to ignore that and panic about a single poll.

It is just weird how so many on this to chose to read the world into a single poll. It's all about trends.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,141

Opinium and Survation were the only polls on the weekend to show the 'surge' continuing, and I think that Survation have essentially produced a poll identical to one on Saturday is likely to be down to methodology and sampling. Their samples have been odd in recent weeks - they gave us 82% of young people being certain to vote recently, and 21% having watched QT on the weekend.

The previous Survation poll was online though, wasn't it?
  • Options

AndyJS said:

Imagine if all the polls were right, all of the time.

Very limited betting opportunities.
    Good point, maybe it's a positive for betting.
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

AndyJS said:

Well, again, it comes down to whether you assume young people (and the other low-turnout groups) really haven't been any more enthused by Corbyn than they were by Miliband, and really aren't going to turn out on Thursday.
    They clearly have been, but enough to lead to a hung parliament?
  • Options
    Y0kelY0kel Posts: 2,307

TOPPING said:

What is it with left wingers and violence on behalf of the State? It is the most stark contrast between their student union right on fantasies, and the real world.

The kind of fantasy where Michael Adebolajo and Michael Adebowale were disabled, arrested, put on trial and convicted I guess.
    Have you ever been in a life threatening situation whilst armed at all?
  • Options
    AlsoIndigoAlsoIndigo Posts: 1,852
    http://boingboing.net/2017/06/04/theresa-may-king-canute.html

It’s impossible to overstate how bonkers the idea of sabotaging cryptography is to people who understand information security. If you want to secure your sensitive data either at rest – on your hard drive, in the cloud, on that phone you left on the train last week and never saw again – or on the wire, when you’re sending it to your doctor or your bank or to your work colleagues, you have to use good cryptography. Use deliberately compromised cryptography, that has a back door that only the “good guys” are supposed to have the keys to, and you have effectively no security. You might as well skywrite it as encrypt it with pre-broken, sabotaged encryption.
  • Options
    edited June 2017

People don't feel safe. And appear to think May's responsibility for actual safety trumps something Corbyn once said about something

Which is odd, as what he said is important, if we are to make him PM this week!

I'mnot a fan of 'least worst' voting, and some will think Corbyn least worst of course, but it is not enough to think one person has done a bad job, if you don't think the alternative will do better. If you do think that, fine, but otherwise what's the point?
  • Options
    DanSmithDanSmith Posts: 1,215
    Pulpstar said:

This apparent Survation will be proven to be the biggest load of bollocks the polling industry has ever seen.

Same method that got 2015 almost spot on.
  • Options
    CD13 said:

Is Diane well? That video suggests otherwise. Murnaghan was a cat playing with a mouse.

Horrible to watch.

i have to say she really was slow and slurred-i used to enjoy her on This week-she was bright sparky and quick-bat shit crazy-but quick witted.

i didn't see this in that interview.

Not sure, but i felt uncomfortable watching that.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,149
    If it all comes down to differential turnout, the one thing I'm not sure about is how much the final result is baked in but we just don't know it yet, and how much volatility there still is between now and Thursday. It could be anything from a 100+ majority to Labour as the largest party.
  • Options
    Chris said:

Opinium and Survation were the only polls on the weekend to show the 'surge' continuing, and I think that Survation have essentially produced a poll identical to one on Saturday is likely to be down to methodology and sampling. Their samples have been odd in recent weeks - they gave us 82% of young people being certain to vote recently, and 21% having watched QT on the weekend.

The previous Survation poll was online though, wasn't it?
    Yes, but their polling methodology will be the same. The difference between the pollsters this time round is weighing by 2015 turnout or self-reporters who say they will vote. I don't believe that either is totally right, but with the unreliability of self-reporting in the past I'd lean towards the former rather than the latter.
  • Options
    BromptonautBromptonaut Posts: 1,113
    Y0kel said:

TOPPING said:

Ad hominem again. Yawn.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

This apparent Survation will be proven to be the biggest load of bollocks the polling industry has ever seen.

Get back to us on June 9th! We shall see....
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    kle4 said:

People don't feel safe. And appear to think May's responsibility for actual safety trumps something Corbyn once said about something

I'mnot a fan of 'least worst' voting, and some will think Corbyn least worst of course, but it is not enough to think one person has done a bad job, if you don't think the alternative will do better. If you do think that, fine, but otherwise what's the point?
    To lose an argument about policing and security to Jeremy Corbyn takes crapness to a new level.
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362

CD13 said:

Is Diane well? That video suggests otherwise. Murnaghan was a cat playing with a mouse.

Horrible to watch.

i have to say she really was slow and slurred-i used to enjoy her on This week-she was bright sparky and quick-bat shit crazy-but quick witted.

After her bad performances so far -

She was thinking about every Question put to her and that got her in more trouble ;-)
  • Options

Y0kel said:

TOPPING said:

Ad hominem again. Yawn.
    Its a straightforward question, whats with the lack of a straightforward answer?
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,904
    Oh well that Survation is good.

It's a bit old though.

Was it not fieldwork Friday or Saturday
  • Options

ComRes, ICM and OBR say otherwise though. If just focused on those polls you could equally say 'People don't feel safe, and don't trust Jeremy Corbyn to keep us safe.'
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    kle4 said:

Danny565 said:

AndyJS said:

They clearly have been, but enough to lead to a hung parliament?
    I think it is possible, but highly unlikely.

Based on the doorstepping I've been doing, there's still a hell of a lot of undecideds out there, a lot of "heart says Labour but head says Tory" people. My guess would be that the head will win out this time, but you never know.
  • Options
    edited June 2017

kle4 said:

It's incredible. Even with a good Labour campaign and a bad Tory campaign, given we know the poor Labour scores were at least partly reflected in the reality of elections, I cannot fathom such shifts even if those shifts are only so extreme in polls, and not produced in the final result.

Its the sort of thing that makes you go 'Well, ok, I don't think it will happen to that extent, but clearly there has been a huge movement that way'. Of course itmight just total nonsense, but my brain doesn't seem able to see something without ascribing it the weight of evidence, that I cannot just discount.

Every single thing that people, even left wingers and false flaggers (the loonies who suggest that it was 'convenient' terrorist events happen, presuming it will help the Tories), think will aid the Tories, does not seem to make a difference to Labour surging or not.

Today you've had two polls which do not show the surge continuing, and one which shows that most UKIP voters will opt for the Tories and you've chosen to ignore that and panic about a single poll.

It is just weird how so many on this to chose to read the world into a single poll. It's all about trends.
    I haven't panicked, I haven't changed my prediction from Tory majority of 40, I merely said i could not relax. It is precisely because I do not know which polls are right that I cannot relax. An alternate data point is not in the direction I'd prefer, it concerns me. Doesn't mean I am ignoring the data points which are in the direction I'd prefer.

Besides which, the trend is Labour narrowing the gap, to some extent.

It is just weird how so many on this choose to believe that when someone says they find a poll concerning, or aren't ruling something out, that they believe it to be right, no matter if the person commenting doesn't say they believe it.
  • Options

It's a bit old though.

Think it was Saturday post Question Time.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,950
    edited June 2017

jonny83 said:

kle4 said:

jonny83 said:

Car crash even for Abbott. I wonder if her confidence is like totally shot? Clearly behind the scenes they didn't want her out there. Then it looks like they wheeled her out probably because they questioned why she wasn't out there.

Abbott's always patronising attitude when answering questions reveals she does not lack for confidence, i think.
    Normally I would agree but this was really bad. I have seen her slip up in an interview before but this was a complete mess. If your colleagues don't want you out there doing interviews it could knock your confidence even if you tell yourself you can do this.
    If you want another dose of the almost obligatory car crash appearance she's first pick on Woman's Hour tomorrow, put up against a panel of women candidates from all the other parties. God almighty, can't she just be put out to grass for a few days? Any Labour woman, from any wing of the party, could do a far better job.

Sunday's YouGov
    How good or bad an election campaign do you
    think the following politicians have had?
    Jeremy Corbyn: Good 48% Bad 18%
    Theresa May: Good 20% Bad 48%
    Paul Nuttall: Good 4% Bad 36%
    Diane Abbott: Good 2% Bad 54%
    Now this Woman's Hour could be fun. Abbott vs Rudd has the potential to be a plane crash.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b08sks3v

Interviewed Guest Amber Rudd
    Interviewed Guest Diane Abbott
    Interviewed Guest Jo Swinson
    Interviewed Guest Margot Parker
    Interviewed Guest Kirsty Blackman
    Presenter Jane Garvey
  • Options
    RestharrowRestharrow Posts: 233
    Y0kel said:

TOPPING said:

He spends much of his time in a life-threatening situation, armed with a clown bike with tiny wheels.
  • Options

kle4 said:

To lose an argument about policing and security to Jeremy Corbyn takes crapness to a new level.
    Well yes, although whenever people try to bring up things he said or did which might rebut him, they are told they are being negative and that it doesn't work, so what's the alternative?
  • Options

Y0kel said:

TOPPING said:

He spends much of his time in a life-threatening situation, armed with a clown bike with tiny wheels.
    Perhaps but perhaps being in a situation where your or other lives is threatened, you might have a different approach about how you or anyone else you get to do the dirty work for you deals with it.
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    rcs1000 said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Nigelb said:

HaroldO said:

Pink line to brown (and I'm not explaining further).
  • Options
    @kle4 The trend over the course the GE is that Tory lead is narrowing yes. But the trend since the weekend is that narrowing has stopped and that the lead across most of the polls has essentially stabilised, which is my point.

• Options
    Sandpit said:

jonny83 said:

kle4 said:

jonny83 said:

Car crash even for Abbott. I wonder if her confidence is like totally shot? Clearly behind the scenes they didn't want her out there. Then it looks like they wheeled her out probably because they questioned why she wasn't out there.

Abbott's always patronising attitude when answering questions reveals she does not lack for confidence, i think.
    Normally I would agree but this was really bad. I have seen her slip up in an interview before but this was a complete mess. If your colleagues don't want you out there doing interviews it could knock your confidence even if you tell yourself you can do this.
    If you want another dose of the almost obligatory car crash appearance she's first pick on Woman's Hour tomorrow, put up against a panel of women candidates from all the other parties. God almighty, can't she just be put out to grass for a few days? Any Labour woman, from any wing of the party, could do a far better job.

Sunday's YouGov
    Now this Woman's Hour could be fun. Abbott vs Rudd has the potential to be a plane crash.

Presenter Jane Garvey
    Jo Swinson is reliably good.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,008
    Ishmael_Z said:

rcs1000 said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Nigelb said:

HaroldO said:

Yes but why is that bad?
  • Options
    edited June 2017

CD13 said:

Horrible to watch.

I get the impression as she is trying to stay more on message than she used to have to, and because it is more serious, she goes quite a bit slower as part of a style she thinks is more measured and statesmanlike, as well as giving her more time to process her answers. In theory.
  • Options

It's a bit old though.

It doesn't match up with what Labour sources in the marginals in the north and Midlands have been saying according to the FT.

"Asked if Labour was heading for a good night, one well-placed party source replied: “No. Not at all. Not one bit. They are all wrong.”"

https://www.ft.com/content/39dd413a-47b5-11e7-8519-9f94ee97d996
  • Options
    Chris said:

Sandpit said:

Chris said:

Sandpit said:

Tory majority still holding at 1.27 on Betfair. This has to be free money surely, or is Diane's latest car crash going to send more students to the polling booths in their desperation to see her running our security services before next weekend?

https://www.betfair.com/exchange/politics/event/28051210/market?marketId=1.119040708

Well maybe there's a 20% chance that the polls are so far out that the Tories will lose their majority.

But is there really a 10% chance that the polls are so far out that Labour will be the largest party, as the "Most Seats" market implies? Judging by electoralcalculus.co.uk, that would need a Labour lead of 6 points or so.
    A couple of weeks ago we mostly agreed here that the 1.1 on the majority was put-your-house-on-it value, amazing how quickly things can change.

I'm already big into the Majority at 1.25, would require not only a major polling failure but also a failure of a lot of canvassing evidence that suggests Corbyn might be piling up votes in Islington and Maidenhead where they're no use to him, but is losing massively in the marginals - especially in the Midlands and NE where there's a large UKIP vote for the blues to squeeze.

For the 1.1 on Most Seats not to come in would be the polling failure of the century, that bet is IMHO the very definition of free money at this stage. No polls this year have even come close to suggesting it, where exactly would Labour find 60-odd gains?
    Yes, that was my feeling. It would require a much bigger polling error than last time. YouGov's huge model still has the Tories 37 seats ahead of Labour.

1.25 for the majority maybe doesn't seem wholly unreasonable, given the uncertainties about the polls. But 1.1 for most seats looks much better value.
    Well the Survation phone poll seems to be indicating a hung parliament on UNS, so you might be right about where the value lies between those two bets. I'm more than £1k in the shit hole if there's no majority!
  • Options
    Who will have access to the Tories' internal polling, a tight circle? Because you'd think if that polling was differing markedly from the polls we see there'd be the odd leak here or there. Not a peep though. The only sign is May in the marginals and long-shot targets.
  • Options
  • Options
    camelcamel Posts: 815
    I'm basing this weeks betting on gut feel. I've had enough of experts.

That gut feel is driven by events on the campaign.

Today, Mr Corbyn looked like desperate man, searching for anything to pin on the PM that would swing the election, before heading for some campaigning in the Labour heartlands of Tyneside.

Meanwhile Mrs May soaked up some tough old flak at a new conference, headed up to Scotland where to try bolster they aims to gain half a dozen or more seats, then headed to West Yorkshire, where there are around seven adjoining seats in play.

Maybe I'm a fool that eschews the Water Board's maps and goes looking for a water main with a y shaped stick. But I'm buggered if I can make head nor tale of set of polls that, after last time's fiasco, have been 'fixed' in every imaginable direction.

Northern & midland marginals is where the meat is. And more to the east than the west. Scotland will provide the gravy. Con 90 Maj.
  • Options
    isam said:

Ishmael_Z said:

rcs1000 said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Nigelb said:

HaroldO said:

Yes but why is that bad?
    I never said it was bad, I said it was depraved.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,468

kle4 said:

Last week (w/e 28th May) in ELBOW

Con 44.00
    Lab 35.56

W/e 4th June

Con 43.50
    Lab 36.21
  • Options

@kle4 The trend over the course the GE is that Tory lead is narrowing yes. But the trend since the weekend is that narrowing has stopped and that the lead across most of the polls has essentially stabilised, which is my point.

And why are the ones that stopped more likely to be right than the ones which haven't? I happen to think they're more likely to be right based on other factors, but that doesn't mean I cannot feel concern that alternate movement is picked up by someone else.

I'd be concerned if we saw a 5 point Lab lead, though that'd be much easier to feel comfortable dismissing.
  • Options
    CyanCyan Posts: 1,262

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Different circs.
    Knife wielding Islamist terrorists in that case. Yeah, chalk and cheese.
    He's right. The circumstances were very different. See my post below.

• Options
    edited June 2017
    YouGov's election centre is still predicting the strong possibility of Jeremy Corbyn in Downing Street in a few days' time with a progressive alliance:

Lab 268
    SNP 42
    LD 13
    PC 2
    Greens 1

Total: 326

https://yougov.co.uk/uk-general-election-2017/
  • Options
    tim80tim80 Posts: 99
    Pulpstar said:

They'll just claim it's snapshot and put it down to late swing.

Joe Twynam of YouGov was laying the ground on this earlier.

It's a circular argument because of course the only proof of massive swings in this campaign has been the opinion polls themselves.
  • Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,059
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

It's a bit old though.

It doesn't match up with what Labour sources in the marginals in the north and Midlands have been saying according to the FT.

"Asked if Labour was heading for a good night, one well-placed party source replied: “No. Not at all. Not one bit. They are all wrong.”"

https://www.ft.com/content/39dd413a-47b5-11e7-8519-9f94ee97d996
    They'll all feel silly if the surge is both real, and not just confined to areas that won't help them (I think it'll save a few expecting to lose, but there's enough mood music out there to suggest plenty of places that are going to see big swings against Labour)
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,904
    edited June 2017
    Pulpstar said:

I think ICM will be closer.

I have said 9 all along and

TMICIPM increased majority. Still think Lab piling up votes where they don't need them
  • Options
    camelcamel Posts: 815

glw said:

Scott_P said:

@Andrew_ComRes: 2015 UKIP voters trust to keep Britain safe from terrorism - May 50% Nuttall 25% Corbyn 4% Farron 1% @ComRes for @TheSun

Poor Farron.
    He got 1pc more than I thought that poll would give him.
    They 1% misheard, thought it was Fallon.
  • Options
    YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382

CD13 said:

Horrible to watch.

I agree she was the same on channel 4 news with Jon snow.You got the feeling and I think he did something was not correct and he eased up.
  • Options
    camel said:

Today, Mr Corbyn looked like desperate man, searching for anything to pin on the PM that would swing the election, before heading for some campaigning in the Labour heartlands of Tyneside.

Meanwhile Mrs May soaked up some tough old flak at a new conference, headed up to Scotland where to try bolster they aims to gain half a dozen or more seats, then headed to West Yorkshire, where there are around seven adjoining seats in play.

Maybe I'm a fool that eschews the Water Board's maps and goes looking for a water main with a y shaped stick. But I'm buggered if I can make head nor tale of set of polls that, after last time's fiasco, have been 'fixed' in every imaginable direction.

Northern & midland marginals is where the meat is. And more to the east than the west. Scotland will provide the gravy. Con 90 Maj.

Con maj 1/4 on Betfair is free money. I sincerely hope.
  • Options
    Ah, Uncut, always there to try to temper Corbynite enthusiasm or halt Tory wobbling. I think they were predicting 160ish Lab a couple of weeks ago.
  • Options
    isam said:

William F Buckley Jr - Firing Line - The Crisis in Labour

https://youtu.be/Hv7N9rzi-CQ

Bit prickly this one!

Benn corrects Buckers on a few errors, then goes on to say "THE LABOUR PARTY WILL NOT SPLIT!"....
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Ah, Uncut, always there to try to temper Corbynite enthusiasm or halt Tory wobbling. I think they were predicting 160ish Lab a couple of weeks ago.
    Atul has a problem with polls http://labour-uncut.co.uk/2015/07/22/sorry-that-labour-leadership-poll-is-nonsense-jeremy-corbyn-is-going-to-finish-fourth/
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

YouGov's election centre is still predicting the strong possibility of Jeremy Corbyn in Downing Street in a few days' time with a progressive alliance:

Lab 268
    SNP 42
    LD 13
    PC 2
    Greens 1

Total: 326

https://yougov.co.uk/uk-general-election-2017/

They truly are very very confident of that model. Didn't Paul Mason of all people say he didn't think it was realistic (at least for 9 days out at the time)?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

I thought they were a Labour-supporting blog.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Dagenham "difficult"

Hope so! My local Lads let me have £125@33/1 the Kippers!
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @britainelects: Westminster voting intention:

CON: 41% (-2)
    LAB: 40% (+3)

(via @Survation / 02 - 03 Jun)
    Chgs. w/ 27 May.
  • Options
    isam said:

Ishmael_Z said:

rcs1000 said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Nigelb said:

HaroldO said:

Yes but why is that bad?
    Just don't jump the barriers at Baker Street.
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,324
    I'm queasy. Before both Brexit and Trump I had a kind of premonition - I could almost feel what it would be like to wake up, tune into the internet and slowly feel the terrible realization dawn. I'm getting it again. The banner of 'Jeremy Corbyn's Shock Election Victory' is there before me, carved in destiny.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

jonny83 said:

kle4 said:

jonny83 said:

Sunday's YouGov

Presenter Jane Garvey
    Jo Swinson is reliably good.
    Yes, she's very good. Should be worth listening to in the morning.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

kle4 said:

I thought they were a Labour-supporting blog.
    They are, but not remotely fans of Corbyn - policies or competence - and are not shy about it. The shoring up Tory confidence is incidental, not their goal.
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    kle4 said:

And why are the ones that stopped more likely to be right than the ones which haven't? I happen to think they're more likely to be right based on other factors, but that doesn't mean I cannot feel concern that alternate movement is picked up by someone else.

I'd be concerned if we saw a 5 point Lab lead, though that'd be much easier to feel comfortable dismissing.
    Well, I think it's a numbers game - more pollsters than not have shown the surge subsiding.

The most people can say about Survation is that one poll that they did not publish two years ago was spot on - it can't be said that they've consistently been bang on the money with actual published polls, like say ICM have been in the past.

I don't think there is any 'right' poll - polls, are supposed to be treated as 'snapshots', not as literal predictions which is perhaps the problem. All big pollsters are using methodologies which I doubt are that well suited for this GE - 2015 turnout and self-reporting. I doubt that turnout will be exactly the same as 2015. But equally, it doesn't appear that there has been enough new voters registered in order to correlate with the kind of surge that self-reporters have indicated. On top of that, self-reporting is known to be notoriously unreliable.

It's likely to be a case of turnout being up, especially with young voters, but this being the case in areas where there are Labour safe seats. That's what recent research indicates, as well as where young voters are concentrated in the country, and the proportion of young voters to old in marginals (as reported by Election Data).
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

TMICIPM increased majority. Still think Lab piling up votes where they don't need them
    I still think this is also going to be true of the Tories: piling up a huge proportion of their extra votes in the longtime Eurosceptic heartlands like Kent, Essex, Lincolnshire, Dorset, etc.
  • Options
    Cyan said:

isam said:

Ishmael_Z said:

rcs1000 said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Nigelb said:

HaroldO said:

Yes but why is that bad?
    Just don't jump the barriers at Baker Street.
    Or shoot a Brazilian.
  • Options
    Still time for at least one poll with a Lab lead? At the start of the campaign when there was the Tory surge I expected it to drop into the 10s at some point, though I never expected regular ones below 5, but having got there, it's not a great deal of difference to edge at least one poll over the line.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,468
    Scott_P said:

Chgs. w/ 27 May.

Ooops - another one to add to Sunday's ELBOW (fieldwork ended Saturdayy with this Survation)
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

camel said:

Con maj 1/4 on Betfair is free money. I sincerely hope.
    It's 2/7 now (1.29).
    *starts biting fingernails*
  • Options
    Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 13,366
    kle4 said:

Survation is the only pollster to record a 1pt lead. No other has gone lower than 3% (YouGov, just once).

I'd want to see a second pollster replicating Survation's findings before regarding them as anything other than outliers.

I liked Nate Silver's article on the subject. For those that missed it:

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/are-the-u-k-polls-skewed/

And for those too lazy to read it, he's suggesting you take an average of all the polls, which in this case would give a lead of about 7%.
  • Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,059

maaarsh said:

kle4 said:

Sometimes I think Abbott is there so that Tories start to get complacent again. I'm not watching her current performance, but even among my Corbynite acquaintances, who are very dimissive of the attacks on the nuclear and IRA issues, they were not fans of her.

She finished by as good as admitting she's sacked on Friday. #asmince
    I believe someone teased us with tipping her to be the next Labour leader a while ago here on PB.....
    Cough... I see the culprit has owned up ... not our tse surely.
    Who is worse, Roberto Soldado or Vincent Jansen?

Asking for a friend who is writing a thread for PB and wants to compare Mrs May to one of the above if she blows this election.
    I'd suggest maybe neither. Maybe adebarndoor or Sissoko as over rated yet everyone knew they were at the same time
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

Pulpstar said:

I still think this is also going to be true of the Tories: piling up a huge proportion of their extra votes in the longtime Eurosceptic heartlands like Kent, Essex, Lincolnshire, Dorset, etc.
    UKIP second in my v. safe Tory seat last time, not standing this time, and the area just voted heavily for the Tories, even bits that are usually LD - a pretty safe bet in this area at least that they pile on a bunch of seats they don't need. AndyJS reckons some level of this keeps the majority moderate even if the Tories are 10 ahead.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,002
    Atul & loads of canvassers here vs Survation.
  • Options
    RhubarbRhubarb Posts: 359
    "Large scale nightly polling" - if some of the pollsters are using cheaper daytime labour for their calls and others aren't then that could explain the difference in sample. Do any of the polling companies report their office hours?
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

Pulpstar said:

I think the Tories will pile up useless votes in their safe seats in the midlands and north, but they may not do so well in Remain-voting areas in the south like Oxfordshire, Berkshire, etc.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,609
    For the record my prediction is the Tories to win by 10%

And a majority around 80-120
  • Options
    edited June 2017

kle4 said:

Survation is the only pollster to record a 1pt lead. No other has gone lower than 3% (YouGov, just once).

I'd want to see a second pollster replicating Survation's findings before regarding them as anything other than outliers.

I liked Nate Silver's article on the subject. For those that missed it:

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/are-the-u-k-polls-skewed/

And for those too lazy to read it, he's suggesting you take an average of all the polls, which in this case would give a lead of about 7%.
    I don't believe it will be 1%, I do think it an outlier. But an outlier by how much is where the concern comes in - a narrowing of the gap from last time between Tory and Lab is another thing that helps Corbyn stay on.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,175
    edited June 2017
    Pulpstar said:

This Survation is exactly the same as the lead they had on Saturday and mainly taken pre terror attack, ICM today had the Tories 11% ahead properly turnout weighted unlike Survation. In 2015 Survation had the Tories on 31% in their final published poll, in the end the Tories got 37%. If they have made the same error this time the Tories will be on 47% on Thursday
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    Interesting comment from Uncut:

"One explanation (for the disparity between polls and canvass returns) might be a rise in support among those in a household that don’t normally take part in the doorstep conversation but do answer online polls, such as young voters."

They then say that canvassers didn't find support for that explanation. But still.
  • Options

I'm queasy. Before both Brexit and Trump I had a kind of premonition - I could almost feel what it would be like to wake up, tune into the internet and slowly feel the terrible realization dawn. I'm getting it again. The banner of 'Jeremy Corbyn's Shock Election Victory' is there before me, carved in destiny.

The fact you can imagine something doesn't really make it any more or less likely. What people call premonitions are just imaginings that ultimately happened. People don't really talk about all those that didn't.

Whilst it's fun tweaking Tory tails and making their bums squeak, you can put a fork in this election - it's done. Regardless of a couple of polling companies with a very different methodology, the ground tells another story. May has blown her chance of a huge win through being utterly crap throughout the campaign, but it'll be comfortable nonetheless.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

Chgs. w/ 27 May.

Ooops - another one to add to Sunday's ELBOW (fieldwork ended Saturdayy with this Survation)
    Yes, so pretty much covered exactly the same time period as their Saturday poll which ended on Saturday
  • Options
    Rhubarb said:

"Large scale nightly polling" - if some of the pollsters are using cheaper daytime labour for their calls and others aren't then that could explain the difference in sample. Do any of the polling companies report their office hours?
    The phone pollsters begin their calls at around 9am and stop dialling after 8.30pm.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,994

You've hardened me up :smiley:

I'll get my coat.....
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    @sandpit @foxinsox etc re: qatar

Cheers.

I wonder whether the saudi axis is taking their lead from trump, or taking advantage of US government dysfunction.

The tectonic plates in the ME do seem to be shifting.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

This Survation is exactly the same as the lead they had on Saturday and mainly taken pre terror attack, ICM today had the Tories 11% ahead properly turnout weighted unlike Survation. In 2015 Survation had the Tories on 31% in their final poll, in the end the Tories got 37%.
    All the pollsters presumably think they have fixed the reasons they got it wrong last time - the question will be whether they have in fact done so.
  • Options
    MattyNethMattyNeth Posts: 60
    Cyan said:

Con maj has drifted to 1.29-1.3 at Betfair, implying a 23% probability that the Tories will lose their majority. The price will probably drift further when more bettors get to hear of the Survation poll.

I'm waiting to lump on if it drifts any further!
  • Options
    Cyan said:

"One explanation (for the disparity between polls and canvass returns) might be a rise in support among those in a household that don’t normally take part in the doorstep conversation but do answer online polls, such as young voters."

If we went on the online polls and youth turnout in 2015 being the same as they said it would Ed Miliband might well now be PM
  • Options
    Cyan said:

They then say that canvassers didn't find support for that explanation. But still.

But since the rise in the polls, Uncut has heard various stories about Labour candidates and campaigners scouring their electoral rolls to identify households with voters under 25 – whether they live in Labour wards or not, whether they or their families have a history of backing Labour or not.

The feedback has been that in the overwhelming majority of cases, this pool of voters is neither sizable enough to make a difference nor are the canvass returns from these targeted efforts tallying with the level of rise that the polls are suggesting.
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

Pulpstar said:

Except the polls show the only region swinging slightly to Labour since 2015 is the South, the big swing to the Tories is in the North and Scotland
  • Options

How did you do in 2015 predition ? genuine don't know.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

This Survation is exactly the same as the lead they had on Saturday and mainly taken pre terror attack, ICM today had the Tories 11% ahead properly turnout weighted unlike Survation. In 2015 Survation had the Tories on 31% in their final poll, in the end the Tories got 37%.
    All the pollsters presumably think they have fixed the reasons they got it wrong last time - the question will be whether they have in fact done so.
    We've been having some degree of issues with polls since 2010. I remember YouGov - along with other pollsters - got it wrong re LDs that year. Five years later, YouGov were predicting the LDs to win 31 seats - they won 8.
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    RobD said:

You've hardened me up :smiley:

I'll get my coat.....
    I'm probably going to start selling Labour seats in the morning on the spreads.

Every bit of info I've had to day, every conversation I've had today with pollsters, pundits, and candidates standing today makes me thinking Labour are in for a right shoeing.

Apart from the Survation poll, obvs.
  • Options
    Pong said:

@sandpit @foxinsox etc re: qatar

Cheers.

I wonder whether the saudi axis is taking their lead from trump, or taking advantage of US government dysfunction.

The tectonic plates in the ME do seem to be shifting.

It may just be sabre rattling, but smellsmore serious to me.

I do t expect anything big until after Ramadan ends.

This discussion has been closed.